Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer GMC Jimmy Electrical Problems

Comments

• phoenix1968phoenix1968 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy. I have to contantly disconnect the positive terminal on the battery or it wont start in the morning. I have also noticed that while running the light for the daytime running lamps and the clock on the radio flicker.

Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking at to stop this problem. It is getting to be a pain to have to disconnect the battery everytime I get home from work or leave my vehicle at work.

If the battery is left connected I have to get the vehicle boasted.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2010
    You have excessive parasitic battery drain. All modern vehicles have some parasitic battery drain of about 10 ma which is normal. That is because of the sensors, clock, alarms, relays, acessories, etc. . If you have a shorted relay or damaged and shorted power supply wire, the battery drain can increase to the point it will completely drain the battery overnight and still will not blow a fuse. The only way I know how to isolate the battery drain , is to start pulling fuses while the engine is not running and watch a multimeter. Make sure all lights are off, such as the interior dome light or the glove compartment light. The cargo or dome interior light dimmer on the instrument panel can sometimes be in the "on" position and the operator will never realize it until the battery is dead. .

Example: I had a shorted power door lock relay on my 1991 S10 Blazer and it drained my battery overnight. I installed a new fully charged battery and I discovered the shorted relay when I attempted to lock the doors after I installed the new battery. The doors would not lock so I replaced the power door lock relay. I probably did not need the new battery. I purchased a 800 ma Deltran Battery Tender and I keep in on my S10 Blazer if it will not be driven for more than a week.

The charge light on the Deltran Battery Tender will indicate if you have a excessive parasistic battery drain. While the battery tender is connected to the battery, the indicator light will either indicate the battery is receiving a constant charge (yellow) to compensate for the excessive battery drain or it will indicate a green light to show a full state of charge. If the parasitic battery drain is excessive, the battery will never reach full state of charge and the battery tender indicator light will remain yellow. .
  • cardoc50cardoc50 Member Posts: 49
    phoenix,I had the same problem with my 1997 Jimmy.There are differences in
    wiring in about all models 1995 to 2004.Try pulling acc. fuse. It works my inside lamps and pwindows, locks,rear hatch.I think that is the right fuse. I would have the altenator checked first they are bad about shorting out. I had a short in the rear hatch wiring just above the headliner in the very back. There are several other
    possibilities. Try that then just pull a fuse at a time to get it narrowed down.Then
    you can go from there. I fixed one where the lower interior lights would'nt go out.
    The glove box, and lower foot lamps under the dash. Just start narrowing it down
    by the fuses and go from there. Good luck. :mad:
  • blazzzenblazzzen Member Posts: 1
    Hey just bought a 95 blazer 4x4 4.3 i replaced the Alternator when i start it up the gage inside shows over 14 when I use a turn signal it drops to 12 when the ac is turn on it also drops to 11-12 once it drop to 9 any ideas what i might be? it was doing this before thats why i thought it was the alternator any ideas would help thanks :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinkin' bad battery or bad battery cables or bad engine-to-frame ground strap.
    edited May 2010
    First you should check for dirty or loose connections. If your battery is known to be in good condition, you need to be certain both the battery cables are tight and clean and the alternator connections are also tight and clean.

The voltage regulator Weather Pack connectior on the side of the alternator can somtimes loosen from vibration, or from blow back from the radiator cooling fan. Most often a loose Weather Pack connector was caused by being damaged or not connected properly after the alternator was replaced.. The alternator internal regulator connector is a GM Weather Pack connector that has a plastic locking tab. If the locking tab on the connector is bent from being removed incorrectly, the connector will loosen and that will indicate a voltage drop..
    edited May 2010
    It is normal for your Voltage guage to go to 14 when you start up your Blazer.These
    vehicles have quite an overnight drain on the battery due to all the options such as
    overhead console temp and compass and radio presets also the ECM runs check on certain circuits and sensors while the vehicle is not being used There is quite a drain and
    when it starts in the morning,the 100amp alternator immediatly delivers to the battery
    the power it needs to operate properly. You will see the guage drop as the battery
    needs less power to operate a system,such as brake lights and other things.Your
    alternator is fine(Ithink).If the guage falls a lot and your battery seems low,It is! You
    need to buy a battery that has the most cold cranking amps like a optima.I had to
    do the same thing. I paid around $150.00 for my battery and It has a eight year waranty(4year free replacement with no pro-rate)Sometimes these vehicles will have
    something pulling a lot of amps while it's sitting most are simple like a glove box light stuck on or something. Even if there is a interior lamp on, it should'nt run the battery down overnight.That's why these blazers and jimmys are required to have a
    real nice battery because of the electrical system.From 1995 to 2004,there are so many changes in the electrical system you would'nt believe it. I hope I made sense to you 'cause I did'nt make sense to myself. lol.but I'm speaking from years of experience on mine. before I would even start to fix it, I would gather all the info I could from manuals etc...and in this forum. Get your battery checked.It'll be ok. :)
    edited May 2010
    It is a wise policy to have a 800 ma Deltran Waterproof Battery Tender attached to the battery if your vehicle is not going to be driven for a extended period of time. Two years ago, my 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 had a shorted power door lock relay that drained my old Autolite battery overnight. I installed a new AC Delco battery and put a 800 ma Deltran battery tender on my Blazer every time I park it in the garage overnight in order to maintain the battery at a maximum charge. Maintaining a full charge will double the life of the battery.

My Detran 800 battery tender will provide up a 800 ma charge until the battery is fully charged then it will stop the constant charge and will then maintain the battery at a full charge. . It takes about 10 minutes to acheve a full charge on the new AC Delco battery after I park the vehicle and connect the battery tender.. Normally, S10 Blazers through 1998, have up to 10 ma parasitic battery drain and that is enough to drain a weak battery overnght especially if the vehciles charging system.is not working properly..
  • lillymonsterlillymonster Member Posts: 2
    ok so it seems to me everyone is having the blinker problem. i just bought a 98 blazer and every time i close the door all the electicall stuff goes crazy. im talking the cd player 4 WD dash lites and so forth, but when i open the door everything works fine. what the H.. if you think you might have an answer for me please emial me @ zeppelinboy70@yahoo.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lillymonsterlillymonster Member Posts: 2
    my bad i didn't know that the emailed you when you recieved a new message. i dont really have alot of time on my hands to keep checking.
  • 1997blazerman1997blazerman Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1997 blazer and i am having problems starting the truck, i have replaced the battery and but after it sat over night it still wont start, also when i try to accelerate the truck stalls out if givin to much gas
    edited June 2010
    By your starting problem you're not letting me know if you had to buy a battery because it would not crank,and after you bought one it would'nt start because the battery drained over night.I'll assume the battery is good unless specified otherwise.
    Had the fuel pump been replaced? If so there is a small emission hose on the top
    front of the tank that is almost impossible to see until it is too late. If it broke the connection to the tank,
    the vehicle will act excactly as you said. I can explain it if nessesary. My 97 Jimmy
    did the same thing and I have numurous accounts of the same problem. You may want to go ahead and change your fuel filter now too. When it won't start,remove
    the top off the throttle body and prime it with gasoline to see if it starts.If you would,
    I'd like you to try that and I can determine with quite accuracy what your problem is.You could post another text and we could go from there.Ask whoever you bought it from about any repairs such as fuel pump replacement or anything he has done to it lately. It's very important. These vehicles have to be (right on) to run like they are supposed to. I'll be looking for a new text from you. Get all the info you can about your Blazer. :sick:
  • linw1linw1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Jimmy with 43,000 miles; original owner. Past couple of weeks, the ABS and parking brake lights have stayed on a few times.
    Also, twice now, my hood has popped after I start the car.
    Once in awhile, if I put the driver's window down, it will not go back up right away.

Could all these things be related to an electrical problem? I have had the car in for repairs the first couple of years I owned it due to different electrical problems.

Any suggestions.
  • bitterbitter Member Posts: 22
    Hey, this is bitter! It sounds like your problem is your ignition switch. Not the key part, but rather the cluster of wires that that run from the steering column down to the fuse block. For some strange reason, they call that the "Ignition Switch." Cost about $90 @ Advance Auto. Not too difficult to replace. Some dash components have to come off, they say the steering wheel should be removed. I was able to replace mine without removing the steering wheel. The covers around the steering wheel most definitely have to be removed. The electronics are crap on these vehicles! It is not your relay switch! (located under the hood top part of the firewall, passenger side. The first unit- there are four or three little black boxes(relays) with attached wiring. Even though you can tap on this and things seem to momentarily work, NOT THE PROBLEM! IGNITION SWITCH! I was told by several techs erroneously that it was the relay switch! I even changed the brain. That just made the ABS & Brake light stay on rather than flash intermittently. Your blower motor should be acting crazy as well when all this is going on. The windows stop working, the blower motor comes on and off, the day runners stop coming on and there was a brief delay (about 2 seconds) after turning the key in the on position that the engine would turn over and the lights in the dash would light up! Changed the Ignition switch and all is good! Hope this helps.
    Bitter
    Oh, and about that hood popping up....Make sure that your latch is lubricated real good with a lithium base oil. Oil it up real good and trip it manually with a screw driver a few times. Set it, pull the latch, set it, pull the latch etc.... Do this a few times. Make sure before you close the hood that the latch has been pulled and ready to receive the actual hood when you close it. It this doesn't do it, then you may have to adjust your hood latch to the proper position. Also, make sure that hood latch lever is completely seated back in the recoiled position. Pull it and then push it all the way back with your hand to the start position. Sometimes ( a lot of times ) the cable stretches and has to be replaced. This usually affect the opening of the hood, not so much the closing. (Usually)
    Bitter
    That problem sounds like your fuel pump. It takes a significant amount of fuel pressure (PSI) to start the engine. Even though you can hear the fuel pump ramp up when the key is turned to the on position, it still may not be enough to open the injectors and emit enough fuel to start the engine. When going bad, sometimes it will and sometimes it wont. But when it does start, the hesitation at acceleration is because the fuel pump is not supplying the engine with enough fuel for higher rpm operation. It should shift funny to during this time too. That fuel pump cost close to $300. Have someone do a fuel pressure check on the vehicle. Both when the vehicle is running at idle and with the key just in the on position. I believe the gauge should read in between 44-60 psi at all times. Dont hold me to that one. If you can spray starting fluid down the throttle bottle (just a little) during the times It wont fire over, and it fires over after then. It is surely your fuel pump. GM is building a reputation for shabby electrical components. Their fuel pumps included! I hope they right the ship soon!

Bitter bout my blazer
  • sandykvsandykv Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    My Blazer battery runs down after a few hours. It is not the battery or alternator. Are there any relays besides one behind glove box and ones under hood on drivers side fender? I think there might be some under radio somewhere, because I can hear something click when starting and turning off blazer. Am I supposed to hear this clicking, and how do I get to it? Is there a good way to find out what is running battery down?
  • bmaclean23bmaclean23 Member Posts: 2
    1997 Jimmy all 4 windows stopped working when you push window button to go up or down dash lights (ABS and Ignition parking light) starts flashing and blower cuts out when you release button blower starts up??? Changed Switch on main door,very little power getting to switch. I removed remote starter thought it might be causing problem,Now i have more now key will not come out of ignition and airconditioning compressor clutch isn't working.also where is the ignition switch located?changed relays on firewall not sure if there is a relay for windows?? dealer said no but Haines book says there is. PLEASE HELP
  • kassismomkassismom Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 jimmy....i had to have the fuel pump changed last week and now it just stopped running and lost all power....was able to jump it to get it home and it died again,,,,charged the battery and it still wont start....
    Perhaps it was the fuel pump relay switch that was causing the initial problem? Not sure if the ignition switch will do that, (cancel the signal to the pump). When you say, wont start, is that, it's turning over but wont catch or start. Or, it won't say anything when you turn the key? Those ignition switches make them do strange things. Are the lights in your dash coming on when you turn the key? Do you hear the fuel pump spool up when you turn the key? Can you spray starting fluid in the throttle body when this is happening and it starts momentarily? So, many questions. How long has it been since the fuel pump was replaced? Was it a OEM (Delphi) replacement or one of the ones you have to splice and match-up color code wire sequences?
    Sometimes the flasher switch on the steering column does crazy things. I believe if you locate your flasher switch, which is under the dash. If it is a 2dr, it may be located in the console. Listen for it for a while and then pin point the area of that sound. You may have to place your head near the brake pedal to get a good bead on the sound. The flasher relay is usually shiny silver in color. If you put your hand on it, you can definitely feel it clicking. Push the flasher button on and off a few times. I have a 97 and this worked. Mine made the clicking sound but the lights did not light up on the dash. Weird. It was only a few months old when this happened. The electronics on these vehicles are second class.
    Good Luck
    Bitter
    This problem is definitely related to your ignition switch. Not to be confused with the key hole on the steering column! The ignition switch in this case, is the series of wires that are indeed located in your steering column that run to the fuse block of the vehicle under the dash. 3 yrs ago it cost 90 bucks @ Advance Auto. Not real hard to replace, but not real easy either. I was told that you had to remove the steering column. I did not. Going to need a few small special tools. Star sockets, male and female, if my memory serves me correctly. I was mislead on several occasions to the relay switches under the hood and behind the clove box. Strangely enough when this was going on, I could indeed tap the middle relay and things seemed to right themselves momentarily. Save yourself the headache and change the IGNITION SWITCH!
    Bitter
  • bmaclean23bmaclean23 Member Posts: 2
    Thank-you Bitter we changed it today and everything is working great =) haven't checked to see if transmission codes are gone yet but engine light is finally off and things are shifting ok again =)
  • cluckerclucker Member Posts: 3
    My Blazer normaly starts with just the mimimun cranking power and your off. After driving for 10 miles or so. stop and restart the key sounds hesistant and than starts. Like no voltage. Continue for another 10 miles while watching the amp gage and it sitting at 11 to 12 volts no fluctuation. Normally it sits at 13 -14 volts with the air runing and at 100 degrees the air is runing. When I return home pulled in the driveway and turn the motor off. I tried to restart and the battery appeared dead with no cranking power at all Radio. Left it until the next day to work on it and tried to crank it and it started immediately 5 or 6 times in a roll. Puzzle now. Can the heat cause the alt or the battery to open? any help would be appreciated.
  • wallawallaacrewallawallaacre Member Posts: 2
    Hi, can anyone explain or provide a diagram on how to replace the ignition module inside the steering column. Tried B4 but could not see. It seems as though when the column is tilted up it doesnt work. I saw that there was a gear type device that was out of sink. Fixed that but still has a problem. Cant see where the module is. Thanks
  • ohioracerohioracer Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    i have a 99 blazer. my gf got on the brakes hard a coulpe weeks ago and from then on it has not been right. when the abs light is on it is fine but if the abs light is not on everytime i hit the brakes the abs kicks in and the truck doesn't want to stop. i changed the wheel speed sensors on passenger and driver's side and it is still doing it. got any idea before i throw anymore money away??? the abs is only kicking in when i get slowed down to about 5-10 mph
  • mrsbehrmrsbehr Member Posts: 1
    A new starter was installed in our '96 Chevy Blazer but there is no power going to the starter. I was told to look for an inline fuse for the solenoid/thermal wiring? The starter clicks and there is action in the relay. Any ideas? All the fuses in the fuse box are okay.
    Your solinoid is kicking in but,The starter is getting no power at the main battery connection. Either the starter is bad or when the positive cable was bolted on,that connection would'nt work if you did'nt hold the bolt with a wrench when you tightened up the main wire. This lets it twist inside the starter and break the main connection in the starter. p.s. how's your battery terminals?
  • htaphtap Member Posts: 1
    I need help! I have a 99 blazer. My problems, power locks keep blowing the 15 amp fuse and the power windows work for a second and then stop. I turn the truck off wait a minute and start it and the windows move a little more and then stop. Any Ideas be for I torch it. :mad:
  • mlareaumlareau Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Blazer that all of a sudden has developed electrical issues. The brake lights are on if the engine is running, the right blinker has stopped working, and if you keep your foot on the brake the engine keeps running even with the key out. If you step on the brakes the radio, headlights, basically the accessories all come on without the ignition on and the odometer, speedometer, transmission position indicator, fuel and temp gauges stopped working. All of the above happened at the same time. The truck was being driven when the engine died of a sudden, The engine started right back up with the problems above. Anyone have any idea's on what could cause this?
  • pjsjimmypjsjimmy Member Posts: 1
    You're gonna love this....I put a bullet through the dash of my 99 Jimmy SLT. Bullet penetrated to right of steering column just under the various buttons such as rear hatch, rear wiper, and the 4WD buttons. Bullet penetrated the steel engine fire wall, hit a metal cylinder (of sorts with plenty of wires out of it...now has a small dent on the back side) located in the middle of the engine compatment against the fire wall. I can't tell if there's other damage in the engine compartment. Initially , I didn't see any problems with any operations. Today, I tried to use the following features and they now don't work (interesting that all these buttons are located just above the bullet hole): Front and rear wipers, rear wiper fluid, rear hatch, can't get out of 2HI (lights just flash). So far, everything else seems to work. I haven't taken all the dash/instrument panel apart. What did I break? What is that cylinder thing mounted to the firewall that now has a small bullet dent in it (one end is a cylinder connected to a box with wires)? Are there a bunch of wires or circuit boards under that dash that I could have hit? Any pictures or schematics to look at on the internet that will help me to pull the dash apart?

Yep, I could have hurt myself bad and I was pretty angry with myself. Needless to say, I'm handling my rifle a lot more safely now when it's 5AM and I'm off to the hunt.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm not sure what you broke but this may be helpful in the future. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    On my 97 Jimmy, the controls are in a different place.Every year from 95 to 04 the wireing and controls seem to be in a different place or different in some manner.I can only recomend looking closely under the hood for any obvious problems then remove the 2 screws under the top of the instument panel just above the guages
    then unsnapping the outer section of the instument panel.(again,that's the way mine comes off yours may be different) and remove it.Any obvious damage should be visible.Check your fuses, relays and wireing as best you can. You can buy a manual at your local parts store which should help identify the cylinder under the hood and so forth. I was thinking the a/c dryer but it does'nt have but a couple wires coming from it.Good luck and I'll say there's been quite a few times I'd like to put a bullet through my Jimmy too! LOL :mad:
  • dgod420dgod420 Member Posts: 2
    i just got a blazer and the wires for the 4x4 switch were pulled out of the plug...
    can any one tell me the order they go back in the plug?
  • cbekkacbekka Member Posts: 1
    Same thing is going on with our Blazer. Did you find a fix?
    I'm not sure that I have a total fix but I replace my ground cable to the chassis and cleaned up the terminals of the battery. Problem has not returned but the weather is considerably cooler so I'm not using my air now to duplicate my problem. Hope this is helpful but I only drive my vehicle maybe 25 miles a month. It's a second car that only gets used about every other week on weekends. Good luck
  • dgod420dgod420 Member Posts: 2
    no not yet
  • help_me_outhelp_me_out Member Posts: 1
    i've got a 98 chevy blazer 4x4, thing has gone crazy. when the key is completely turned off all the gauge lights stay on, when car is turned on the gauge light still stay on an some times blink repeatedly for a little while. the speedometer works fine, but the rpm will work almost never it either sits on 0 or jumps back in forth like crazy. also the radio works an comes on but no sound, its the original an i tried taking another original an putting it in, it came on but still no sound but car still runs great all fuses are good. anybody had the same problem or can help me out???? its been this way for about a year!!!!
  • nickyp1nickyp1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 1998 chevy blazer all of a sudden my I cant get my 4x4 to engage, when I press the button 4 hi or 4 lo it lights up and I hear it clicking on. I have checked all the obvious fuses and I am getting voltage to the transfer case. At this point I am inclined to believe that there is a vacuum leak or disconnected hose somewhere because at the same time that this problem occurred, my heater slide control will only blow out of the vents no matter where I position the slide control :confuse:
  • rkanicsarrkanicsar Member Posts: 2
    just bought a gmc jimmy not even a week later we are having electrical issues, the odometer and the radio on the clock dim out or flicker any one have any ideas but the actual dash lights are fine
  • mthomascmthomasc Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this a while ago and the vehicle was awesome. I started having issues with the vehicle not turning over. Ignition lights would come on, but not turn over. I replaced the starter three times before I figured out it was an issue with the remote starting system. Now if I try to start the truck with the key and it doesn't turn over I have to try to start it with the remote start system, using the FOB... which never did work from the day I bought the vehicle. Once I've tried to to start the truck with the remote start system, using the FOB, I would push the button on the FOB again... assuming this deactivates the remote start system. then I can start the truck using the key in the ignition....... strange. after this happened I no longer have the zones working for the heater/air conditioner.... vents only. no power mirrors, trying to engage 4x4 doesn't work. I hear a click and the light changes when hitting the button but it doesn't engage the 4x4. also the ABS seems to engage every time I push the brakes to stop the vehicle.
  • lzacharyjwlzacharyjw Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get this problem resolved? i know that we are having the same problem with our's. The 4 wheel drive lights up, and you can here clicking, and then the blower acts like it doesn't want to work properly. i know we also have a p0452 code comming up which shows a vacuum leak somewhere. i know i'm taking it to a mechanic in the morning to see if they can fix it.... please let me know if you found out what the problem was on yours
  • nljewellnljewell Member Posts: 21
    I've got an 89 Silverado with close to 200k miles on her, my problem is that the negative terminal melted when I was putting in a new battery. About a week ago it wouldn't start so I had the starter tested and it was good so I checked my battery terminals and I noticed that my positive terminal was stripped out. The parts store gave me a new battery, I hooked the + up first and when I was doing the - terminal I heard some sparks and then the whole damn thing melted. I am thinking there is a short somewhere but not sure where to start looking. Any suggestions would be great, like I said its got close to 200k miles so I am hoping it will be a cheap fix.
    I not a guru on vehicles but I am cheap when it comes to car repairs. I would take every fuse out of the vehicle and and check continuity from neg to positive leads and start putting fuses in one by one. Sounds like you have a dead short. If you find a short with all the fuses out disconnect the voltage regulator and see if the short goes away. Chafe wire on a harness to ground!!!! Let your ohms meter be your friend. Good luck
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Really?! :surprise:

Wow, that's no harness issue I don't think...sounds like the positive battery cable is shorting out to the frame. You'd best follow it down to the starter motor and see what's up.

OR --- it could have been a bum battery from the get-go (internal short)...if you got it from a chain store, that could be the case.
  • shaner63shaner63 Member Posts: 3
    So my daughter's driving to work and the blazer just dies. I've got it home and I'm not hearing the fuel pump, AND I am not getting spark at the coil wire. The gas gauge reads empty, but it read a quarter tank when she left. (had went about 7 miles when it died) One thing she said was the speedo went to zero instantly when it died and while it was still moving. Dont know if thats noteworthy or not, if it would normally work with the engine not running. Kinda sounded like a major electrical issue to me. So I'm wondering would there be anything that would shut down those two systems (fuel pump/ignition) simultaneously? Seems like quite a coincidence, no spark and a silent fuel pump at the same time.
  • nickyp1nickyp1 Member Posts: 7
    The same thing happened to me!!! The problem wound up being a bad battery put in a new battery and never had the problem again. Good Luck
  • rhettrrhettr Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so there is no fuse box under the hood on the 97 Jimmy, so where is the fuse for the O2 sensors? Started smelling gas, friend had a reader said I had no power to any of my sensors.
    There are no fuses to a 02 sensor.power will flow through a o2 :mad: sensor letting the ECM know of any problem with them. The ECM calculates and restores problems in the fuel/electrical system. If you are smelling gas, there are reasons. Have you or anyone else changed the fuel pump? Do you have the right fuel cap. Is it tight? There has to be 7lbs of pressure built up in the tank.Then the purge solonoid kicks letting the fuel odor despense into the intake and charcoal cannister.If the very small hose on top front has been broken or left unhooked, you will experience lots of trouble. The ECM processes thousands of signals an hour .You have an OBDII engine. It is considered HO. So many things can make these vehicles act funny. After studying and living it for years, Nothing would suprise me about the Jimmy/Blazer. Have to have more info 'cause these are crazy cars