Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• camaroboy07camaroboy07 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys,

I have an interesting problem, My truck will not start when I try to start it in the morning. I have to crank the motor for a good minute or two and consistently play with the throttle for it to start. After it starts it doesn't run right, and by that I mean it idles and if I WOT (wide open throttle) it revs up fine. But if I slowly open the throttle it miss-fires like mad and doesn't really run. When it reaches 190ish degrees and the O2 sensors kick in the problem completely dissapears. Now it didn't always do that I just recently replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the MAF sensor, After Chevrolet told me my problem was and I quote "Sticky Valves" But before I ever replaced the TPS and MAF the truck just flat out miss-fired and was undrivable... I have thought about there being un-metered air getting in somewhere after the MAF, and I had left over upper intake and throttle body gaskets from when I had to replace the intake manifold gasket (coolant leak) so I went and replaced both of those and the problem still exists. I feel I have come a Long way from what the dealer told me and I think there is only one problem left... But I am Stumped. Any Ideas??? Thanks In Advance
  • 240sparky240sparky Member Posts: 2
    check the fuse for the fuel pump, not the pump relay, if fuse is bad then the fuel pump is most likely out or going out
  • 240sparky240sparky Member Posts: 2
    on my 2003 gmc 1500hd the door locks started unlocking while i,m driving, stopped, or shut off. key in or out. once the unlock you can hear it keep trying to unlock. may do it once or 10 times in a row. it is real random. I pulled both lock and unlock relays out as well as the fuse and it still happens.
  • 2004gmcsierra2004gmcsierra Member Posts: 1
    Hi promotorsports,

I just notice the exact same problem with my 2004 GMC Sierra ExtendedCab on Friday (7/23/10). Today is Sunday (07/25/10) and the problem seems to be intermittent. I notice when the truck sits for a while (i.e. half hour/over night) the keyless entry will not work on the driver's door. I open the driver's door manually by insereting the key into the door lock and no courtesy light (readward on the door panel at the botton behind the map pocket) nor the dome light on the ceiling. When I insert the key into the ignition no chime sounds. When I turn the key to the on position (do not start engine), only the battery light comes on on the instrument cluster. Not the usual full lights system check during power on. No power to the windows, door locks, mirrors on the drivers door, yet the switches and courtesy light work on the passenger door work fine.

If I give it a few minutes and turn the ignition key off anf back on again twice or three times its like the system resets itself and everything returns to normal. Funny thing though, it rained here east of Toronto a lot over the past 3 days. Every time it rained the fault happened. Today it is dry and sunny - problem has not resurfaced.

Question for you - what was the source of you issue with your truck. What did you end up doing to fix it.
    I would sincerely appreciate hearing back from you.
    thanks...2004gmcsierra.
  • trichietrichie Member Posts: 2
    This truck 05 GMC 2500hd has been an electrical nightmare since about 6 months after it was purchased new in Jan'05, latest is that after sitting for 10 days that the battery is totally dead. Multiple battery replacements @ the urging of the dealer still no change in the battery status after 10 days.
    The most recent piece of the puzzle is with the 4 wheeler trailer (new wiring and lights) sitting on a rubber pad with the ground disconnected from the trailer, no ball contact, no safety chain contact , the trailer lights come on, both lights blinking with only one blinker, step on brakes and the lights go out acting like a poor ground, but there shouldn't be one.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This was cut and pasted from another part to the site. Again any help will help, I have several more gray hairs because of this.
    trichie
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Trichie,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage so I can look into this further? Is the vehicle at the dealership currently or is it at your home with a dead battery? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • robertjonesrobertjones Member Posts: 1
    so im playing ball saturday and strom rolls in my truck gets hit by lightning and all the fuse are blown so i replaced all of them and still will not start and im have no clue about working on truck ect. so has any one ran into this prob. or know someone that this has happen to thanks, the truck is a 2001 1500 4x4 so any info will be great
  • tccabinetstccabinets Member Posts: 1
    what exactly was your truck doing? mine will show the engine light and the heater on the passager side will blow hot air. Light goes out and tach acts up, signals quit, and the AC quits. sometimes the dash lights flicker. Sound familar?
  • sp206sp206 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado dually and was wondering what you had to do to fix the problem ?
  • chevelkchevelk Member Posts: 1
    99 Chev Silverado 4.8 engine. I went through some water several weeks ago and a couple of days later the cesl came on and hasn't cleared. I took off the battery wire to clear it but the light is still on. Any ideas?
  • redraider36redraider36 Member Posts: 5
    Guys, I could really use some help with this one. I was comming back from a fishing trip towing my atvs on a trailer. I had the tow haul enabled and the cruise control set at 70. When I would go up a hill or tap my brakes to take the cruise off, my gauge cluster, radio and computer display would turn off and immediately turn back on. I have had my mechanic look at it and he cant find a problem. There are no problems in the wiring harness and no loose wires. Pleeeease help
    Thanks
  • crusin57crusin57 Member Posts: 20
    Hey can't help you but i also have an 06 Z71 and its does wierd electrical stuff also. i hope you figure it out, My anti theft activated a few weeks ago when my truck was parked in my driveway by itself it then deactivated 2hrs and 15 minutes later. in the meantime the truck wouldn't start, after it started like nothing ever happened. Never happened again.
    Hello Redraider36,
    I apologize that you are experiencing and issue with your vehicle. Has this concern only happened the one time? Or is it an intermittent concern? Have you checked the connections to your trailer? Did any codes come up on the DIC? Thank you,
    Mariah, This problem just started on the was home from the trip last sunday, during the 6 hour drive it happened 30 times or so. I have pulled the same exact trailer for the past two years and have never had this problem which makes me think that the trailer isnt the problem but we are double checking the wiring. There was no errors that showed up on the DIC and my mechanic drove it for over an hour without a problem. Today i am going to hook the trailer up again and try to recreate the same conditions to see if it happens again.
    Thanks
    Yea its crazy....its frusterating that we cant find the problem...my truck is running great. I travel to our ranch once every couple weeks and i dont want to have this problem get worse when i am out there and hours away from any help...
    Hello Redraider36,
    Please keep me informed on how everything goes. Thank you,
    Mariah,
    Have you ever heard of wierd electrical problems because of altitude????
    Hello Redraider36,
    Unfortunately, I am not a certified mechanic and cannot diagnose your vehicle. However, I have heard that altitude can affect vehicles. If you are unsatisfied with your diagnoses I can locate a different dealership in your area and you can get a second opinion. I would just need your zip code in order to do that. Thank you,
    My zip code is 79424. I am hesitant to take it to a dealership because if it is in the shop for a day and they dont find anything they will still charge me. My mechanic does not charge me unless he finds a problem
  • bigjohn18bigjohn18 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

My 2005 Silverado (4-door) front and rear passenger electric windows quit working, both at the same time. The front makes no noise at all and the rear window makes a faint click when the buttons are energized. Doesn't seem to matter if the window lock is off or on. The driver side windows are okay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    BigJohn18 :cry::)
  • bigjohn18bigjohn18 Member Posts: 2
    Okay all,

Figured out this one myself... Found the "MBEC" 50 amp maxi fuse blown. It is located in the fuse box under the hood. The fuse apparently feeds the smaller MBEC fuse box under the dashboard just to the left of the brake pedal.

Hopefully it doesn't blow again and was just a aged-fuse failure (it didn't look like a massive blow, just a gentle separation). Otherwise, I'll be tracing the cable harness from the main fuse box to the MBEC fuse box.

Hope this post helps someone else.

BigJohn18
  • hullabaloofarmhullabaloofarm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 gmc sierra 4x4 bought new in 2008. It has around 60,000 miles. It has been relatively problem free until last week.

The circumstances are as follows: I was listening to my MP3 player through the auxillary port on my factory stereo. I have played the MP3 with the truck running with no problem. I was outside, truck off, with radio playing MP3. The music turns off and truck will not start. Seems like a low battery. Replace the battery a couple days later and dash lights come on, but no dome lights, tail lights and truck will not start. The safety mechanism for the brake/gear shift is overriden as well as I can get it in gear without applying brakes. Checked all fuses and have continuity at each.

Gave up and went to dealer who informs me that my two year old truck needs a BCM replaced to the tune of well over $500. They then continue to tell me that until the new BCM is in place they will have no way of knowing if the original BCM just "went out" or if there is a cause somewhere in the truck.

My questions are as follows:
    1. In the event there is a problem in the truck, will said problem ruin the new BCM ?

2. What are the chances that the original BCM died of its own volition without a "cause" lurking somewhere else in my truck? What typically causes these things to quit? I'm guessing if my truck will run ok, the dealership will kick it out to me and hope I get another couple years off this module. Problem is I'm a woman who travels extensively to nether-regions in texas and I don't wish to be stranded...especially if my new BCM won't let me use my onstar....

3. anyone else have a similar problem?
  • cgcopcgcop Member Posts: 1
    I dont think its your trailer. I have an 07 silverado 1500 Z71 that has done the same thing. All the gauges went off like it was turned off and the doors unlocked and locked as if i was puting it in park. when i would turn on the blinker a service light would come on. After then pushing on the brake it would go out and something else would come on. Have you figuered out your problem yet or can someone else please help with this problem?
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    cOULD BE THE RADIO DRAINING THE BATTERY !
  • 93xplorer93xplorer Member Posts: 1
    I was just driving my Silverado today and had to press my horn but nothing. Checked the fuses but none were burnt. But when I hit my lock button on my keys twice the horn comes on. Could it be the horn button in my steering wheel.
  • fudgedfudged Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Serria 4wd 4.8 . Started having problems with the rear signal lights. When the brake is pressed the signal lights flash faster and noticed the Center top brake light flashes also. Signals work fine until brake is pressed. Checked bulbs, fuses, wiring at back of truck. Disconnected the wiring for the trailer brake control to rule it out. Any other things to check before head for help? Any help would be great.
  • darbachouskasdarbachouskas Member Posts: 2
    I need major help at first just left and signal stopped working now both brake light and rear signal isnt working front signals still work cab brake light works fine please help someone
  • darbachouskasdarbachouskas Member Posts: 2
  • smxtunersmxtuner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 4X4 sierra. I had to do a rebuild after putting the engine in it turns over but won't start I rechecked the engine timing its good. I was told that after a rebuild the ignition timing needs to be reset does anyone knows how this is done.
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I have a 2004 Sierra and am wondering if i should be concerned about replacing the battery. I see nothing in the manual.
  • dastoddmandastoddman Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    I am writing this in hopes that by chance someone out there might put thierselves in my shoes for just 30 seconds, and give me a hand with a problem we've been having. My Wife and I our first Brand New vehicle on August 28th, 2010. Myself, My Wife, and our two year old Son drove 6 hours from our home to purchase this vehicle, to a Chevrolet Dealership in Sacramento, California. I've always dreamed of owning a Brand new Chevy Pickup my whole life. Please Keep in mind the vehicle was close to $40,000.00 and GM has been paid, and I am a disabled man with a wife who works full time and we have two boys, 2 and 11 years old. The vehicle we purchased was a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LT, VIN # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. It had 20 miles when we bought it - NEW. The drive home from the dealership was approximately 300 miles. The following Monday, August 30th 2010, the truck would not start. We jumpstarted the truck that day, and every day after, once the truck was shut off and left for any amount of time the truck would not start. We called the Local Chevrolet dealer on Tuesday 08/31/2010, advised them of this electrical/loss of power problem and they said if it kept it up, we could bring it in. ( this was noted at local dealer ). I continued jumpstarting the vehicle when I absolutely had to have transportation and finally on that following Friday, 9/3/2010 the truck's lock would not operate and the truck's stereo would come on by itself with no keys in the ignition and the vehicle locked up. ( we heard the stereo from in the house and ran outside to see what was going on and it was our truck that was empty and locked up.. imagine that ). I jumpstarted the truck and it sat at the Chevrolet dealer since that day, 09/03/2010 until they opened up again due to it being Labor Day weekend. My Truck had 633 miles. The Dealership began repairs on 09/07/2010 and was unable to diagnose the problem. Somehow they guessed it was an ignition switch, so they ordered one of those and replaced my brand new one.. guess what .. it didnt fix it.. then they tried to blame in on a dealer added as new alarm upgrade, So they removed that, which did not eliminate the problem completely and then the BCM (Body Control Module) was replaced to my understanding. I was advised on 09/14/2010 that my vehicle was "Driveable" only after calling time after time to check on the status myself. During this 11 day time period I had started a case with the BBB against GM and have been contacted by some guy named Juan from "GM Corporate" who tried to please me with offering an additional value guard policy or an option of free oil changes for two years.. I had all but settled to take Juan's offer of the extra value guard warranty this weekend, since getting my new vehicle from the shop , on two occasions while driving all the hazard/warning dash lights on the vehicle will come on at the same time, stay on for a few seconds and go out.. ALL OF THEM, the airbag, the brakes, the water, the traction control, everything goes lit up like a christmas tree.. thats just not acceptable for $40,000.00.. actually my whole last 21 days has not been acceptable. My truck now has 733 miles and is not in my possession.. hmmm Now that a ignition switch has been replaced for no reason, there was a short they were unable to diagnose, some guy tore our truck apart trying to find a problem, my new truck was a mess when I got it back from shop, who knows what kind of problems are there now or created now.. My wife almost wrecked today when the dash lights alarmed and we called a tow truck to have the truck brought into the shop to do whatever..So here I am without my $40,000 investment and GM get's the interest? We really need more resolution and feel like this should be GM's number one priority, but it's not.. Am I in the wrong? I've owned a new chevy for 21 days, and actually been able to drive my vehicle a total of 6 days. Something is wrong with this picture, even K-MART has a 30 day return policy..
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'd start y checking out your state's requirements for lemon law. Something tells me that you may qualify or are close to it.

The BBB is also a viable alternative as they can cut through most of the corporate red tape. That person Juan that contacted you will offer you the moon before agreeing to a buyback. I've seen GM "trade" their Major Guard extended warranty bumper to bumper no deductible worth at least $2500 as an alternative to buyback so keep that option open.

Lastly, do not get emotional in your conversations at the dealership or with any GM representative although it might feel better at the time it will not help your case. Always appear to be reasonable.

Electrical gremlins are the absolute worse to diagnose as most symptoms are intermittent.
    Man when my wife and i read your post the only thing we could say to ourselves was didn't we just went threw alot of crap with our Silverado that we just purchased in july. We also got involved with the BBB who by the way were very helpful in my case.. It wasn't till we did that, that anyone wanted or seemed to take us seriously about the problems.

Our Silverado is not new it's an 06 and it had 56k on it. From day one thing's started happening, electrical, would not start, anti theft would activate all by itself. Anyway i don't know your state law's but your truck only has a few miles on it if anything i would try and get GM to give you another BRAND NEW TRUCK. That's what i would want and try to get.

The problems are just starting i think unless they can come up with a concrete diagnostic conclusion i would get the BBB to pressure GM into another new truck if that's at all possible.

Keep us posted and let us know how you make out with this, from one Silverado owner to another hope it work's out for you and your family. GOOD LUCK.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Hello, sorry to hear about your NEW 2010 Chevy Silverado truck problems, welcome to the family. I have a 2008 Sierra that has been nothing but a Jeckle & Hyde since 3,000 miles, unitended acceration, drivibility changes on a daily basis, shift points that change at will, vibrations, I could keep going... I have been to numerous dealerships, been told it is all normal, been told they fixed something only to be told later it was a lie, I've done the BBB auto program & while it may have been helpful for some it was the most corrupt process I personally have ever seen. The guy based his decision on a test drive, not the service visits, & he never drove the damn truck, yes a test drive from the back seat! DO NOT believe a single thing that GM & the corrupt dealerships tell you, they have this all down to a science. Obyone is correct when he advises you to keep emotion out of the dealing with the dealerships & GM customer service, if you want to call it that. Sorry but keeping your emotions out of the equation after getting screwed out of $40,000 is unrealistic. My sugestion is simple & comes from hindsight, get a LAWYER, he has no emotional connection & can keep things factual, it will save you years off of your life & will likely result in some type of action, you can not win without one against the corrupt GM machine.
    Also please make sure to complete a review on your new truck so others can be better educated, keep blogging & talking, only when us consumers wise up & stop buying products from companies that could care less after the sale will we have a chance to see change, although unlikely.
    Has anyone noticed that in the Ford & Dodge truck forums you will find nary a complaint about a newer model year truck? Yes I know there is a sales number difference but here in the GM truck forum many of us are talking about brand new trucks, dont believe me, look for yourselves. I love my Sierra when it is in the mood to operate properly but I can tell you all that once you have a problem you are screwed, GM does not care & will not fix anything, Get a lawyer!
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    I agree with others: lemon law, lawyer get a new truck! Consider this, I have 2003 GMC 2500 HD with 60,000 miles. I have not gotten through one oil change without 1-3 repairs from Day One! Electrical, repeat mechanical and just plain BS. After repeated surveys, GM NEVER called me about all the problems, they just wanted to know how good the dealer was. Now that I am considering a trade in after 7 years, they are suddenly interested to speaking with me, when they read my response to them asking WHY would I want another GM. They apparently have more employees in the sales department than they do in customer satisfaction. You unfortunately are reminding me that they ignore their customers after the sale and after 30 years, looks like I can't abuse myself into buying another GM problem. $40,000 and that is the treatment you get?
    Even though i have already commented about your Silverado i have to say i wish i had discovered this site before i bought mine. It is almost overwhealming to see the countless number of different issues that so many have. Page after page of frustrated owners.

Wanting a fairly new Silverado was something i wanted for a long time, I was pretty happy until i got it home in July, so far with my payment and repairs the truck is costing me about a 1000 a month, on average. plus my insurance and gas.

It will be back in the shop again in Oct for another 500 dollar repair ( front wheel bearing. It has been just a money pit. I Hope you take the advise of others and get a lawyer , get the BBB involved and anyone else that might be able to help you.
    edited September 2010
    just an update guys and gals... got my new silverado back from the flashing lights on the dash repair. the dealer told me they were unable to diagnose and unable to replicate and pretty much were snotty and gave me the feeling they felt I was a fibber.. the day I got it back was last friday, the 24th so it sat at the dealer another 5 days while they put 60 miles on it to tell me the truck was fine.. truck went in shop with 733, came out with 791 , now SATURDAY we decided to take a family drive to Redding, California to see some nice weather and enjoy our new vehicle on the 7th day we've ever been able to drive it out since the 28th of last month. This is a 150 mile drive.. we made it there and I noticed no real problems, so was really excited. We ate at IHOP and then loaded up our family to go have a great day, and guess what, the whole dash on the truck quit working, YES, quit working.. I turned the truck of and started it again.. no dash, no speedo, no signals, no tach, NOTHING.. drove it to the dealer, had the head service guy verify the problem and here we were on our vacation having to deal with this bs again.. now what.. am i really needing to be punished like this? please god tell me what I have done.. I am literally losing sleep over this and if my asthmatic son needs to be rushed to the hospital and our truck doesnt operate correctly i am wondering if i can sue someone, this is ridiculous..literally every time, i mean every time i talk to this Juan guy from GM business resource center he gives me some line of crap about needing a few more days to research something? research what? and then sometimes actually calls back.. I wonder if Juan has a boss.. will that help you guys think?
  • trichietrichie Member Posts: 2
    I feel for you man, I have a 05' with electrical problems tha GM can't find or repair. Sits for a period of time and battery is dead, 5 batteries and 14 trips to the dealer only to have the truck sitting in my drive with a dead battery as we speak.

Anyway, It is my understanding that in general the Lemon Laws provide for the attorney to be paid by the dealer/Corporate office so there is no money out of your pocket and the Corporate will buy back the truck, interest and all other fees that were associated with the sale if the vehicle can't be repaired.
    It would be worth it to research your states lemon law to get the specifics.

As was said somewhere on this forum, these trucks are a jewel to drive and operate as long as they do what they are supposed to do.
    general motors called today and said they are replacing my vehicle... awesome.. what i don't understand is they say it has to be the exact same options or i have to pay extra? even if the msrp is the same.. does anyone know about this.. he said i could get a 2011, but it had to be option for option or some crap. anyone know about this?
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Sounds right to me. You can't expect to get extras without paying for them. Just what did you expect? :confuse:
    Thats great, but like mention you can't expect any options in your next truck that you don't have already, but then again you should not have any less either. Let us know how the new truck goes,
    This is not a super serious problem but it is another issue that is frustrating me with my silverado.

The problem is my cig. lighter keep's blowing fuses. i had to replace it when i got the truck in july and then today it went out again.

When i took the blown fuse out i noticed that it was not only blown but was also melted. not alot but enough to melt the plastic casing

My ? is how can i determine or find the cause, there seems to be a short somewhere. or could the lighter housing be defective even though the lighter still works.

I took the fuse out and haven't replaced it as i need to find the problem

Any suggestions would be appreciated on what i can check for so my fuse doesn't get hot.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Just like any other big-ticket item, you're only entitled to the same model in a replacement deal. Say you buy a new refrigerator and it dies in 6 months. The manufacturer is only going to give you a new fridge of the same model, not the top-line stainless steel three-door with ice maker.

GM has to deliver the same vehicle primarily for internal records, since this is not a regular retail sale.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Wow, good for you! I almost can't believe it, GM is finally taking some accountability. It really is good to hear.
  • samson1967samson1967 Member Posts: 1
    dash screen says"engine hot and a/c off" on my 2007 silverado and the temp gauge went down to bottom end
  • gmcboat1gmcboat1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 gmc sierra 1500. My problem is that the left rear brake light and turn signal wire is not working anymore to my trailer.(The yellow wire) I can't trace it far enough back to see were it is comming from. I've changed the fuses and that dosen't seem to be the problem. Any suggestions. Thanks
  • rory4rory4 Member Posts: 1
    My GMC has dashboard circuits that turn on when the courtesy lights turn off after you close the door. This drains the battery over night. Any help would be appreciated.
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
  • opc167opc167 Member Posts: 14
    I ran my truck a little hard yesterday and when I cut it off, I had to get someone to jump it off. When I got home, I found the second battery very, very hot and had been fried I guess. I'm replacing it today. My question is, it's confusing to most why there is a 2nd battery in a gas version, but I can still crank the truck and I can not find any assessories that do not work with this battery out. Does it automatacally switch over to this aux. battery if your pushing the truck a little hard...or when does it come in use? I know this 2nd battery has to be replaced, but the front battery seems to be O.K.

Regards