Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    You have a loss claim with your Insurance Co, right? Get a Lawyer and sue for any damages above what the Insurance covers. But, why would you want another Lexus if this one just about killed you?
  • happydriverhappydriver Member Posts: 10
    My insurance company (AAA) is giving me a hard time (I posted about it in the insurance section) because they didn't change the policy from my old 2000 Lexus SUV into the new one that I bought in 2002.

I caught the problem earlier this year and had at least one phone call and one letter (not sent certified, but I did save a copy) notifying them of the fact they had the old car on the policy erroneously. But it's a he-said/she-said thing at this point and they're giving me a hard time.

There were other inaccuracies on the policy - showing cars and people who no longer should have been on my policy - they took them off, but they hadn't yet corrected the year of the Lexus, and the last time I notified them about it (in writing) was in late November. Then, this happened Dec 23rd and now they're telling me the policy still had the 2000 car listed and so this car is not covered...even though they were taking my premium checks and even renewed the policy in October with me having told them how the policy should be corrected.

Any suggestions of what else I should do at this point?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As far as the insurance problem goes, most (all?) states have divisions of insurance set up to handle complaints from consumers. The insurance industry is heavily regulated and you should get a fast response once you ask the state to step in. You may not like the response, but it'll get shaken out fast.

Steve, Host
    Oh, for Pete's sake! You've got to be kidding me!! AAA is pulling that crap on you? Steve is exactly right, I'd get in touch with your State's Division of Insurance pronto, that's first, then I'd find a good former Insurance

Defense attorney, and hire him. You're gonna need him. Shame on AAA, that's just shameful, but after taking your premiums every month, I doubt they can even come close to getting away with it, and they shouldn't even try if all you're trying to recover is the vehicle. If you were trying to recover a couple million for personal injury, I could see them throwing up a defense, but over $60,000? They should write that check all day long, that's a rounding error to those guys. Call a good lawyer.
  • happydriverhappydriver Member Posts: 10
    Let me clear one thing up...AAA hasn't denied coverage, and they may not. They are just saying they have to investigate. My policy renewed in October, though, and I sent in MORE $ than I even owed, just because I thought since they hadn't changed the policy yet to show the correct year/VIN for the new car, I wanted to be sure I was fully covered.

Should I wait and see if they deny me before I get a lawyer, or get one now? Ditto contacting the state insurance division?

Thanks
    Well, if you complain to the state insurance division because you think they are taking too long to make a decision, AAA will know you'll complain again if the decision isn't in your favor.

Or they may come through anyway, and you'll have made much ado for nothing....

Steve, Host
    Wait on the Lawyer though. Getting one too quickly can escalate things unnecessarily.
  • toottoottoottoot Member Posts: 13
    Don't know if you have made your decision yet, but I wanted to give my two cents worth as we recently went thru the same decision process. The GX is a nice vehicle, however we were concerned about a few items (minor):

1. The rear opening hatch swings to the side vs. the split hatch on the LX

2. The width of the GX is a bit on the narrow side. We have two car seats and can still sit a third person (or additional car seat in the LX. 3 across seating in the GX is next to impossible.

3. The additional width also helps in the front seat with additional storage/arm rests in the LX470.

4. The GX has a better sounding Levinson system (not much better, but it benefits from additonal speakers and sub woofer).

5. The navigation system in the GX is considered version 2 and version 3 (more capabilities) in the LX. However, they are designed by different companies and th version 2 seems to have a more up to date map. (Our neighbors have a 2004 GX470 and we have a 2005 LX470, yet they can use the navigation to get to and from the house, we cannot!)

I am rambling a bit now, but we like the additional size of the LX and it fit our needs. It is a bit quieter than the GX and it can run all day...anywhere you like. We also checked out the Range Rover, Land Rover LR3 and and were not overly impressed by either vehicle.

The GX is much more reasonably priced, but it did not have the feel of the LX. Also, the upcoming GX with Sport package looks like it will be a blast to drive with the nudge up in horsepower. We feel the LX is fine, granted it is not a Cayenne turbo but it gets us where we want to go and the torque gives the zip need to deal with pretty much any situation (except drag racing).

Hope this helps.
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    TAIL GATE, no suv should be without one and the GX has rear door! Unfortunately the LX is on its last years so you are buying an obsolete vehicle. Can you wait till 2006 or 2007, I can.
  • lamboolamboo Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering a new or slightly used SUV and have narrowed my choices down to the LX 470 and the RR. The recent exchanges on the two have been quite helpful. I seek clarification on a couple of fronts:

1. When does Lexus plan to introduce a new version of the LX and how radical a redesign is expected - freshening, upgrade, redesign?

2. Has the reliability experience on the 2003 and later RR been better that prior models or are people still experiencing the legacy problems?

3. My bias is to go for a used LX (say "02 or '03) and wait for the new LX in a year or two assuming there is a major redesign. However, I'd swing to the RR in a minute if reliability is getting better. Any thoughts or counsel?

Thanks!
    If reliability matters - get the Lexus. If you're willing to put up with some maintenance and that won't make you pull your hair out, (because there will be some), the Rover may be more fun.
  • caltricaltri Member Posts: 5
    I too was debating between the RR and LX. Both are luxurious, can off road, and provide a nice quiet ride. I like both the interiors too, although the LX used more wood. But I liked the leather in the RR better. Now, for the exterior styling, the RR trumps the LX by a long shot. My friend said the LX looked like a soccer mom car as opposed to the RR, which is more like a business executive's car, like an SUV version of the 7 Series or S Class. One of my co-workers has a 2003 RR and has had no problem with it. I am definitely going to purchase a 2006 RR with the improved engine and technological advancements. I just know that if I get the LX I will always envy a RR and think that I too could have such a handsome classy elegant vehicle had I spent an extra few thousand dollars.
    If you have that good a grip on your personal "envy" factor, then you are undoubtedly doing the right thing. Nothing less will do for you. You can try to talk yourself into something else, but every time a RR rolls by in front of you, you're gonna watch it and wish it was yours, and hate what you have instead. It's not worth it. Wait for it, or get it now, but get what you want either way. I agree. I once justified a more "practical" purchase on a 2 year lease. Saved some money, and while it was a good car, I never liked it, and couldn't WAIT for the lease to end so I could go get what I wanted. Never again.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Anyone know why they lowered the tow rating to 5000 lbs for the 2003 + LX. Toyota LCs still have 6500 lbs tow capacity. I want to get a new LX but am disappointed that they lowered the two rating.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    But there ain't that many RR's rolling around town. Besides, the resale value of those RR can be a real downer ! On a complete comparo, the LX is a much better deal than the RR, but if your heart is set on an RR, pls go for it. I am looking for an LX for the wife. The RR never made it on my list (friend has an 03 RR).... I am not impressed by it tho'.
  • moj1moj1 Member Posts: 11
    i got '05 gx470 and test drove lx.

i liked the LX much better, but parking it in San Francisco would have been a hassle. also the current model is getting old (the salesman, who knew about other up-coming models, was unaware when the new model will be introduced.)

overall i'm happy with the gx, but there are some gripes. Gx is nice, but luxury amenities are just okay. leather quality is way better than our sequoia but not as nice as LX or the our SC430. mark levinson is nice and is about the same quality. But ML in my SC430 sounds so much more better that it makes the gx sounds just adequate. gx drives a little floaty. LX felt more comfortable without the floaty feeling.

overall, i'm happy with the gx470 and feel i made the right choice with the gx470 over the LX. but when the new LX model comes out, i'm trading it in for the LX.
  • ken silverken silver Member Posts: 10
    In a week of superbly enjoyable LX470 ownership, I've nearly backed into several inanimate objects hidden behind the high back window.

My 1999 didn't come with any park-assist, so what can I install here? A rear-facing camera is ideal but would mean another screen, and I'm already having trouble getting my Navman removable nav-sat unit getting nicely placed.

So an audible warning device would be ideal. And if everyone agrees with that choice, what brand should I look for? There's some bad buys out there, and I don't want a dog after getting my paint shop to expensively install the sensors in the bumper.

Ken Silver
  • djt21djt21 Member Posts: 13
    In 2003 I purchased a brand new RR after coming off 2 earlier (2000 & 2002 LX 470's), yes the new RR is a more reliable vehicle than the previous generation - but not by much. I wound up selling the RR after 6 months of ownership. For a newly designed (BMW engineered) product I quickly became frustrated by the growing list of small, but in my opinion unacceptable problems with the truck - electrical gremlins, vibrations when turning the wheel, noises and rattles. I felt that If I was dealing with these issues at only 3,000 miles on the odometer what would the next 50,000 miles be like.

Don't get me wrong, the RR is a beautiful vehicle inside and out, much more stylish than the LX470. But $70,000 happens to be a lot of money to me when purchasing a vehicle, I soon realized that even though I was tired of the LX470's looks it's still the most reliable, comfortable, "bullet-proof" SUV on the road. I wound up trading the 03 RR for an 04 LX with no regrets. Good luck.
    OK - moving on... now I'm more inclined to use a rear vision camera after getting more information about their advantages over a sonar.

Donnelly (http://www.donnelly.com/) seem to put out some good units. Anyone used them, or know any more about them?

Ken Silver.
    Donnelly makes most of the mirrors for Ford. Very nice units. Some though are prone to early failure. Check the warranty.
    I tested a 99 Range Rover before I bought my LX470 a week back. To put it mildly, it was a horrid experience. It drove like a truck, rattled and creaked, and the plastic parts looked cheap. After some years of hankering after one, that single drive was enough to put me off completely.

True, the later models look so much better aesthetically, but their poor reliability offsets any advantage there.

I spent some time on a RR forum while I was researching, and I decided to revisit it just now to list the last 40 subject heads. If you read them, you'll see there are many problems. By comparison, this forum is free of complaints, and lately consists of debate between the RR and LX.

Here's the forum heads for the RR forum:

sunroof motor

1989 Range Rover won't start

1990 3.9L Range Rover random cutting out problem

1997 Ranger Rover Clock

Steering vibration ? panhard rod bushings (r&r)

Range rover air suspension fault

89 Range Rover Restoration Project

Range rover problem

my range rover wont start

Changin door panel speakers

aftermarket intake system?

Panic Button on 2004 Range Rover

Engine Lock up

automatic headlights????????

late 99 range rover thermostat replacement

Rover needs help

eas fault

air compressor

Sos!!mystery Leak_help

mid '90s ranger rovers how reliable?

2003 Range Rover For Sale

door locks

after market grill set ups?

22" Black Oasis Rims Custom Fit for 2003 Range Rover

3.5 efi electrical diagrams

instruments

1999 RR Coolant Leaks, Any Help?

Stopping the SMOKE!!!!!

Finding a Steering Wheel?

1994 Classic range rover,I need wiring diagram to over ride eas dash light,Please

Rangie pix

1995 RR oil leak..HELP???

2003 RR a very dangerous vehicle!

Range Rover Seat Membranes Are Replaceable!!!

3.5 EFi Dies for a day!!

2003 Range Rover for sale

Off road advise Please!!

Tailgate keeps popping open

90 RR 3.9 Won't Start

found free carfax website

Ken Silver

--------------

~1993 Mercedes SL500, glistening triple black, xenons, AMG facelift to 2002 style.

~1999 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor, silver/black leather, CD, immaculate

~1999 Lexus LX470, sand/ivory leather.

~1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. black & silver.

~ex 350SL, 230E, 280E, MX5, Jaguar Daimler and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice.
    OK, thanks. I had thought of putting the screen under the roof by the storage compartments (I have no moonroof), facing forward, so when I turned round to reverse it would be a double check--eyes + blind spot assist.

Ken Silver.
  • errerr Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a 05 LX and are experiencing a vibration between 65 and 75 MPH. The dealer and Lexus' customer service have both stated it is normal??? The problem is we drive long distances and are extremely tired after being in the vehicle for 6 or more hours. Is anyone else having this difficulty? The dealer has rotated and balanced the tires repeatedly.
    Speak with your Lexus Sales person and he/she should be able to tell you where to go for this or any additional high end equipment. I recently purchased a 2005 LX470 and was considering having the DVD headrests installed. Lexus was charging an arm and a leg for this service, but my rep directed me to the company that actually was doing the install of the video equipment. Once there I also had the rear end sensors attached...again the same ones that Lexus would have installed for me at around $600 this company installed for just over $300.

Let me tell you, these sensors in combination with the rear view camera are awesome. The camera is excellent, but you do not want to always be looking at the monitor when you are backing up!

By the way, the install of the sensors looks awesome...literally factory install!
    <<Speak with your Lexus Sales person...>>

Good point. I'll see them today.

Thanks.

Ken Silver
  • carly3carly3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 LX with 45K miles. I had my tires rotated and balanced and after that experienced the same thing. I took it to 2 different Lexus dealers who re-balancing several times and checked to make sure I did not need a front end alignment. I placed a call to Lexus HQ customer relations with my dissatisfaction.

The problem has subsided but is there slightly. It DID NOT vibrate prior to me having the tires rotated. It was also pulling to one side but again I was told there was not need for an alignment. Have they checked that for you?
  • salehsaleh Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just got my LX470. I love the GPS navigation system, however, the map and details are limited, does anyone know of updates, software, CD, DVD, to expand the coverage.

Thank you
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I got a notice from Lexus of a "2004 through early model year 2005 Lexus navigation system software update". Haven't had it done yet. The notice says that it is to correct "localized anomalies in the map details". I'm not sure what they're referring to; the biggest gripe I have is that the system does a poor job of calculating routes. Also, a lot of the time when I put in an address it doesn't recognize it. For example, it said that the address of the Luxor in Las Vegas does not exist! Maybe this is one of the "anomalies" they are talking about in the notice. As far as I'm concerned the nav system needs a LOT of work. I am disappointed in Lexus, since it's not like they just started offering them in their cars.
    Nav System Upgrades...I agree with the frustration. My neighbor has the 2004 GX470 and I have the 2005 LX470....he can get to and from our house I cannot. When I asked about this I was told the GX has the version 2 Nav System andthe LX 2005 has version 3 (more capabilities), however v3 is being built by a different company and the software is not as advanced. I am still trying to get Lexus to offer me a credit for the next software update as I am extremely unhappy with the quality of the system so far. At one point on the freeway not far from my house it suddenly has me driving thru the middle of a field then it jumps back onto the freeway (virtual 4wheeling!)...any thoughts or additiona things to add?
    I haven't seen that problem. My biggest frustration is when, for example, I am in Los Angeles and try to generate a route to San Diego, and the system routes me through San Francisco!
    Not going to worry about buying Navigation from Lexus in my car......

What happened to the RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF PERFECTION thing from Lexus?
    The logo got hit by a Thundercloud?

Since you now take your luxury accommodation with you, who cares if you get lost.

If the references are a bit obscure, check out the official Lexus site.

Steve, Host
    Got reverse warning sensors installed today by a Lexus-approved vendor, and it is the solution! It gives the usual series of beeps that run into a single tone when the back is about a foot away from the object.

As well, this sensor allows for the towbar... some don't and give a false reading.

I've backed up against a lot of walls, mesh fences and cars today, and it works well except for very thin posts--they're not recognised.

Now, if I can only persuade someone to crouch behind me to make the final test... :-)

Ken Silver
    I have to park outside, and it gets very hot with strong UV content in our country (New Zealand). What measures can I take to cover and protect the inside from sun damage?

I'm not that keen on the accordian-style windscreen covers with suction cups. There is very little else out there. Any ideas?

Ken Silver
    --------------
    ~1993 SL500, glistening triple black, xenons, AMG facelift to 2002 style.
    ~1999 SLK 230 Kompressor, silver/black leather, CD, immaculate
    ~ex 350SL, 230E, 280E, MX5, Jaguar Daimler and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice.
    Other than heat protection for your own comfort, you don't need it - Lexus has anti-aging built into the matierals used to build your car - it'll last forever in the sun and heat.
  • crankstercrankster Member Posts: 20
    I just bought an 05 LX470 in January, and am unhappy with a low-frequency rumbling sound that is constant at any speeds over 10-15 mph. It was re-aligned and the wheels re-balanced at the dealer, which didn't really help. I test drove another new (exactly the same) LX which basically sounded the same. I suspect the tires, Dunlop GrandTrek AT23's, may be the source of the noise, after driving a used 02 LX that had Michelins on it which was much quieter. I've ordered a new set of Michelin Pilot ATX's that will hopefully help with the rumble, but am not particularly happy that I have to spend a $1,000 to find out for sure on a 7 week old vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with either the Dunlop GrandTrek's or any mechanical issues causing a similar sound, or have any comments regarding the Michelin Pilot ATX's? I also think the "dieseling" sound of the drivetrain while stopped in drive rather ridiculous for a $68K SUV.

I'm actually rather disappointed in the vehicle, especially considering how perfect our 02 LS430 has been. I bought the LX from the local Lexus dealer here in Pittsburgh, our 2 other Lexus were bought from MetroLexus in Cleveland and I feel that they would have tried a bit harder to have come up with a satisfying solution--either swapping out a set of wheels/tires to try, or just giving me new tires. I don't find my sales rep's "it's a truck" line terribly helpful, the 03 Expedition I traded in on the LX was much quieter in regards to road/suspension noise.

Thanks.
    My '04 LX has the same tires as yours, and the road noise is extremely low--lower than that of my LS430.
    ----Other than heat protection for your own comfort, you don't need it - Lexus has anti-aging built into the matierals used to build your car - it'll last forever in the sun and heat.----

Really? I've not heard of that improvement before in any car. What specifically have they done? I would have thought that the wood would be first to go, then the dashboard top vinyl... it happens to every other car I know of.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm intrigued to know how Lexus do it.

Ken Silver
    I don't know specifically how they do it, other than to select quality materials with standards that hold up to UV better. When the cars are made, they are tested under severe heat lamps in heat and UV chambers for accelerated aging dynamics to see how they'll hold up for 10 years as part of their endurance criteria. They're the only brand other than MB possibly that does it, and I'm not sure that MB does, but they hold up well also in this regard. Living in the Desert all my life, I have seen 20 year old MBs that have never seen a garage with interiors that look like new, no cracking or shrinking at all of the materials, while other cars have literally melted away, BMW's for example, GM, most Japanese cars were particularly bad. Fords, Chrylsers held up pretty well, but Benzes were incredible. Lexus is fairly new, we don't have 20 years experience with them yet, but so far they're very good. They do have a process though, to build for endurance in this regard. I wouldn't worry.
    That's very reassuring. I've had many MB's of varying years and all the vinyl has been good, but I've always assumed that it's because Mercedes owners are a fussy lot.

I can sleep a little better knowing this for my Lexus!

Ken Silver
    --------------
    ~1993 SL500, glistening triple black, xenons, AMG facelift to 2002 style.
    ~1999 SLK 230 Kompressor, silver/black leather, CD, immaculate
    Test drove one today:

Loved: The feel of the seats, the fit, finish & feel of the car. The appearance of the dash, wood, navigation screen, controls (most of them, don't like the cheesy cruise controls), console. Drove very nicely, felt very secure. Quality oozed out of the car.

Disliked: The pathetic attempt at a 3rd row seat. The unavailability of A/C or ventilated seats. Larger engine would be nice.

Summary: You give up some great features for the solid quality of the Lexus. It's a trade off. Worth considering.
    nvbanker, what was your test drive?
  • stormbringer1stormbringer1 Member Posts: 12
    I haven't been on the boards for some time but was wondering when Lexus will be updating the LX? I purchased a GX last year and have had no problems other than poor gas mileage. I have twin 18 month girls and have 2 large baby seats in rear seat and there's no problem getting an adult in the middle of them. All you have to do is push front seat all the way up, get in and load kids in.
    The LX-470.
  • navprobnavprob Member Posts: 1
    My nav system (however, on the LS430 2004 model, which I believe uses the same nav system as the suv)gives consistently incorrect directions. The recent "update" actually made many things worse. Does anyone have an idea how widespread this problem is?
  • deke2deke2 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a new '05 LX470. I don't know if this is related but I have noticed on occasion the car seems to idle quite loudly ( a rumbling noise). Also, I have noticed that on occasion when I go over bumps, the tires feel like they are filled with helium. I took it to the dealer and they said the tires needed balancing which they did no charge. But it has recurred. I don't think it is related to the comfort/ sport setting for the suspension. Anyone else have a similar problem?
    I read somewhere that there's a service bulletin out relating to the rumbling noise. My LX does it, and it is rather annoying. I don't have any problem with the ride quality, though.
  • crankstercrankster Member Posts: 20
    In regards to my post #1171 about the rumbling, my $1,000 investment in a set of Michelin tires fixed the bulk of the rumbling sound. Now I'm onto trying to get a vibration problem fixed. The LX has been at the dealer all week and hopefully they found out what was wrong while we were in Florida. I suspect either one of the rims has serious runout issues, or there is something in the drivetrain like an out of balance driveshaft or something, as the frequency of the vibration has nothing to do with the road, so it must be eminating from the drivetrain. My LX also makes an embarassingly loud rumble/dieseling sound when in drive with the brake on at a complete stop, which they were supposed to try to fix as well. It's not very Lexus-like.

Now I'm sitting at the Ft. Lauderdale airport waiting for my 6:15 PM flight home that's now been delayed to 11:30 PM. In addition to my LX, I now have USAirways to add to my list of things to hate...

I pretty much regret getting the LX.
  • pcrescuepcrescue Member Posts: 1
    I am a Sirius lover. I really missed the Kenwood Excelon head with the Sirius box plugged in. I looked and all I could find was modulated add-ons. The Nakamichi sounded "not bad" in itself but modulated sources degrade even more. Searched and no dash kit for LX470 and no manufacturers had any plans to make one now or in the future. Kept on searching and found an experienced installer that had integrated aftermarket heads into the existing amps and speakers and fabrictaed the dash trim kit - and he installed my Kenwood with Sirius. This thing absolutely rocks and I have my satelite radio back! After time will probably replace the 8" sub and amp with good stuff but the head unit replacement made a night and day difference. And save the head for when you migrate to your new 470.
    I am in heaven in the sound department - now, PLEASE, somebody help me get more power out of this babe to tow my trailer! Thanks!
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I am wondering why a Lexus dealer would not cerfify a 2002 LX470 on his lot. I have seen one online that is not being sold as certified (about 40,000 miles). To me this seems like there might be a problem with it. Dealer says he can certify it for about $2000. Wouldn't Lexus dealer want to have it as certifed? Seems odd to me or maybe this is not unusual? Any comments?