Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    $$ colors are not important for us . We normally keep our vehicles till the crows come home . Always very nice to read your posts . The galactica gray is too dark for our tastes we are holding to our initial choice the EM or VB with gray interior . Can't tell you why . The internet director tell me that they only know toward the end of the month about the allocation for the thirty or so dealers . If you guys come to Florida send me an E-mail we could compare LXs .... Thank you.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    They are always easy to identify, They are the colors the manufacturer makes in the greatest numbers. White and black are always money colors as are most dark colors.
    Just received by mail the purchase agreement and it contains a vin # or serial # and the color combination EM with gray. I will keep you guys posted . Than you.
    Dealer just sent me an E-mail , about speaking with corporate HQ not being able to come up with the color we want . My response was , refund me the deposit and we will wait for the color we want and if this BS continuos thru the summer we'll wait for the 2004 model . It was supposed to be a painless experience . Now I wonder . Thank you .
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Seems you are dealing with the wrong dealer. Maybe spend a few hundred more $ and get what you want. I thought you had a vin/serial #? Believe me, the color/combo you want is available. You need to talk to the right person. Have faith, someone will jump at the chance to help you get this car. Dealers want to sell it because the more high end cars they sell, the more cars they get from the manufacturer. Good luck.
    I got the retail purchase agreement , it has the stock # , the make , the year , the model ,body style , color , new , the 17 digits serial # , the first letter is " J " and the price and so on . I tried to speak with him but he was off today. I think that after all this time he have been trying to sell from his inventory , even after he sent me this agreement .
     The two dealers that we have dealt locally about 60 miles radius has alot to be desired and the fact that we are in no hurry to buy give us the flexibility to deal with this guys who gave us what seems to be a good deal and good finance rates . My only dispair is that we are not close enough distance wise so I can pay them a visit . The LEXUS experience have been less than lexus . Thank you . I will keep you posted .
  • outriggeroutrigger Member Posts: 40
    Help! It does not appear that an LX 470 has any kind of cargo area cover behind the 2nd row of seats?

It that true? If Lexus doesn't have one, is a good aftermarket one available?

If not, how do you LX 470 owners hide your stuff in the back?????

I'll take the 3rd row seats out as soon as I get home and store them in the attic and need a cargo area cover!!
    I just send them an E-mail terminating the transaction to purchased the LX470 and to refund the full deposit .
    This has not been a " LEXUS " experience .
     What a disappointment !!!
      Before I make another desicion I want to get the refund back .
    Thank you for all your advice .
  • dliptakdliptak Member Posts: 4
    I am about to purchase a new LX470. Any recommendation for a dealer and what would be a good negotiated price. Current MSRP is around 65,503. Thanks
  • lx470newbielx470newbie Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all LX 470 owners

I have a question about my LX 470.
    I just bought a 2000 LX 470 and notice that i have to steer the wheel a little bit left to keep driving the car straight. this occurs while driving on freeway and side street. i brought back to the dealer and they centered the wheel. however, the wheel is still off center. Then the service consultant drove with us so that we can show how it is. he said it is normal to a SUV because the street is not even. He even also let us test drive 1999 LX 470. Same thing occurs. So I am just wondering if it is really normal or does it occurs to some LX 470 owners.
    we are worry because our baby is coming pretty soon.
    thank you for responding.
    Send me your E-mail address and I will send you some info , better yet if you read some of the previous posts you will have all the information that you need. Hope this can help .
  • sta2sta2 Member Posts: 19
    Hi All,

Time to tap the experts.

Been a Land Cruiser, LX 470, Range Rover fan for many years; finally grabbed this one and glad I made the choice-based solely on reliability/durability/options/off road ability, etc...

What do I need to know about this year and/or vehicle (pitfalls, maintenance, problems, etc...) Any help is greatly appreciated.

59,000 miles now-pondering the $1,600 2yr./100k Lexus Gold warranty. any thoughts or suggestions? Feel free to slap me around a bit as an FNG.

Dave
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    back on March 12 I asked about how do people deal with no rear cargo cover and got exactly ZERO replies.

A dead discussion board here!
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Toyota/Lexus have a rear cargo cover for the LC/LX. But you'll need to find a good parts person. Because it's available everywhere in the world but the US. They can order it; they just have to know where to find it. (The LC/LX are commonly ordered elsewhere without the rear seats. In those vehicles the cargo cover is available). The price I was quoted for cover and mounting points was around $500.
    I have a late model 2000 with 35k miles on it. There isn't all that much to tell you. Just put in 93 Octane gas and drive - you should get 15-17mpg. I service the truck at 7,500-10,000 mile intervals. The truck is perfect. No problems, no rattles. very quiet, an exceptional smooth and refined ride and quite luxurious

Here's a couple of things though. If you have the rear heat turned on passengers in the second row sometimes may feel too hot. My 4 year old always complains about this if you leave it on to long. If you put a wind deflector at the rear, just above the back door (many landcruisers have them) the rear window stays cleaner in the rain and you don't need to use the wiper back there very often. If you ever hear a loud wind noise in the far back then someone probably left the auxiliary rear a/c on in the high setting. Be careful not to leave the windows partially open where the third row seating is.

The tank for the window cleaning solution is for both the front and rear window so you'll tend to drain it fast after snowstorms. When it is low it shows up on your dash board and may cause you to iniatlly think you need a more important fluid.

The seat heaters automatically shut off after a while and will only work when they detect a body in them in the first place. Finally if you don't ride with the 3rd row seats down then tighten them as much as possible in the fold-up position. They are also very easy to remove entirely - and put back in - if you need storage space in the back.

It's a rugged truck that rides like a luxury sedan. By the way the 2000 has the 6cd in-dash player which is nice. I hope you got the nakamichi strereo. It's a great system though not nearly as good as the mark levinson that is currently available.

Good luck with the truck. You're going to love it.
    I have a test drive scheduled in 2 days, and the availability of a rear cargo cover is great news!
  • rleongrleong Member Posts: 41
    I think I have a rear cargo cover in my 2000 Land Cruiser. I haven't tried it because I do use my 3rd row seat. I thought the rear cargo cover is a standard option on the LC & LX470.

I also have a rubber cargo mat that is somewhere in my garage with the rear cargo cover. There is always that possibility the original owner lost the cargo cover.
    I think that in 2001 or 2002 LC/LX470 made the 3rd row seat standard (at least in the USA), so that eliminated the availability of a rear cargo cover.

I did find someone with a Land Bruiser who said they just black tinted their rear windows so that no one could look inside.
    Thanks for the suggestions/info! Yes the Nakamichi is there.

My Wife & I are looking forward to it.

I don't have the towing option; what's involved (and costs) with adding this?

Anyone have suggestions on accessories (Bra, Bug Shield, XPel for the headlights, Husky mats/cargo floor liner, Sunroof Visor, etc.........). Specific URLs would be helpful.

Dave
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I just heard at the dealership (not that those guys really know all that much) that they are expecting not to see the LX470 very much longer. The goal would be to use the RX330 and the GX470 and introduce a new one based on the platform of the GS. This would help it compete better with the new X5 high end. I hope this is not the case, I would just like them to further update the LX and add some HP.
    The LX470 (likely to become LX500 or something like that) will become a super lux suv based on the Sequoia platform with a 300+hp engine in 2005. That is what my dealer has told me. The GX was slated to replace the current LX all along and the GS based SUV that is coming in 2004 is intended to be Lexus' performance based SUV. As for the current LX/TLC platform - it will be transitioned to a more Hummer like vehicle as the new TLC from what I've been told in 2005. I believe both the new TLC and the new LX are likely to be introduced in 2004 as 2005 models. Let's see.

Sta2 - I don't have a tow hook. What color did you get? I have the cashmere.
    Since we're purchasing this used, and we don't have the sticker, it has to be either (white?):

Golden Pearl or
    Woodland Pearl

Does anyone else with any info. on installing the towing package?

Dave
  • fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    I have a '99 Land Cruiser and added the receiver hitch. All that is involved is bolting on the receiver hitch and hooking up the wiring to the existing rear lights. Not a big deal at all. The receiver is about $250 and installation was about $50 at a local shop. I had them do it so the wiring would be right and I could not hold the receiver hitch and tighten the bolts by myself.

It is a sad day when Lexus/Toyota base the LX on the Sequioa/Tundra platform and the new small LC on the tacoma platform. The REAL biggest LC/LX's will no longer be imported and Toyota will make even more money on their SUV's. The GX470 and 4runner are based on the 90 series LC. The LX will turn into a Lexus Navigator and will no longer be one of the best SUVs on the planet.
  • book2book2 Member Posts: 2
    Some time ago someone wanted to know where they could find some acc. for the lx. Just found a site called nextcollection.com. They have some neat stuff, however it is pricey!
    Thanks for the advice/pointers/urls!

Dave
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    FJ100 -- Interesting description of the upcoming LX. If indeed Lexus can add its style and quality to a "navigator"-like truck I'd be the first one in line to get it (Give me all the Rx 330 Gadgets and gizmos too please). I'm a happy owner of an '03 Navigator but there's just something special about Lexus vehicles that Lincoln hasn't quite mastered yet (they are getting close though).

I wouldn't worry about the LX no longer being the best SUV in the world -- I would hope after over a decade of putting out high quality vehicles Lex won't drop the ball on their flagship suv.
    03/28/2003 Torrance, CA

Lexus announced a price increase today for select 2003 models.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of the flagship LS 430 luxury sedan and SC 430 sport coupe will increase $200. The LS 430 will be priced at $55,125, representing a 0.4 percent change, while the SC 430's MSRP will be $62,225, a 0.3 increase. The price for Lexus' premium SUV, the LX 470, will increase 0.8 percent, or $500, to $63,625. The MSRP for the fourth generation ES 300 luxury sedan will increase $100 to $31,725, a 0.3 percent change. The price changes are effective April 19.
    Just received it-what a vehicle!! Currently at the dealer for the 60k service-OUCH!

I read the manual, and pardon me for sounding like the FNG, but I have 2 ?'s

1) I know this vehicle is AWD, but does that mean its always in 4h (unless I shift to 4L) according to the shifter on the center console?

Or

Is it AWD (and the center console is in N) until I shift it manually into either 4H or 4L??

2) There are 2 sections of flexible, open-ended, black tubing (1 is about 3 feet long-the other is much longer) that are found under the velcro seal in the floor in front of the 3rd. seats. Both tubes are 2"-3" in diameter. 1 section that's under that velcro, is bolted to the metal flooring and contains very thickly braided copper colored wire? The other has the same enclosed wire, but starts under the 2nd. row seats and ends in front of the 3rd. row seats??

What are these for? Are they supposed to be there and if so, should they be connected to each other?

Dave
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    When you quote others you should clearly spell out the source even if it is "just" a press release. Copyright protection is involved.

tidester, host
    The truck is always in AWD.

I've never noticed the tubing you speak of. I'll check mine and let you know. As long as it is in for the 60k service why not just ask the dealer.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The LX470 has a FULL-TIME 4wd system. It is always in 4wd. The transfer case is ALWAYS in 4-HI. This means that all 4-wheels are getting power at the same time. But the center diff is OPEN; thus allowing for rotational differences between front and rear axles.

When off-roading, you would LOCK THE CENTER DIFF, which would force front and rear wheels to spin at same rate...thus, do NOT lock the center diff on dry land.

4-LO is for torque multiplication. It is helpful in off-roading and launching your boat.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    No sulfur and not the least bit of vibration at any speed. I'll bet the sulfur is more tied to winter addatives and not the truck. Some Lincoln limos I've been in have it and the drivers say it's only a winter occurance. It's reading about that vibration that bothers me. I hope they resolve the GX problem ASAP. Lexus has far to bullet proof a reputation.
  • kamily1kamily1 Member Posts: 5
    Did I see you there and are you now more intrigued with the Lexus Lx 470 as I am? If you were there, I attended the event Sunday and during less inclement weather. What is your opinion of the Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes Benz ML 55 and perhaps the Range Rover versus the Lx 470? I feel the Lexus Lx 470 SUV won the event although the Mercedes Benz with its lower ground clearance was impressive. The BMW X5 was also impressive although it rendered a stiffer ride, agree? Which would you buy today? Did you like the new interior/exterior costly Range Rover as much?
  • ardoardo Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a LS430 and a GX470. The GX is my wife's while I drive the LS. For the last week my wife needed to switch cars, so I was driving the GX. I like the feel of the SUV so much that I am thinking about trading in my LS430 for a LX470. I did not know how practical having two SUVs is? the LS is a '01 with 35K and the GX is new.

Any opinions? thanks
  • coachandersoncoachanderson Member Posts: 4
    I have been searching for either a used Toyota Land Cruisers or the LX470 and found a lot of them have 150,000 miles plus, is this too many?

All have claimed to be well maintained.

How many miles could I expect this SUVs to go?

Should I be concerned about the Timing Chain or Transmission?

Thanks
    CA
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    You may miss not having the sportier feel when driving . Bought the LX470 for my family a few years ago after 10 months of research and comparison. Couldn't ask for a better all around family vehicle, not to mention quality. This year I needed to purchase a new vehicle. My old car was a Dinan BMW. Looked at the SC430 but it had no trunk space but I still wanted something sporty, unique, and would not see a teenage/college kid drive it in a few years (ie: BMW M3's). Read an article in MotorTrend about the FX45 from Infiniti . It was a "Crossover" vehicle . 0-60 in 6.4; 20" rims; Nav.; AWD; Keyless entry; DVD; etc. After a few months of research , I bought one and it was a great compromise . Handles almost a good as my BMW , 0-60 is almost as good also, but it is also a SUV. Check it out , you may feel the same . Quality is slightly lower then Lexus (lack of wood and minor details that Lexus addresses) but it is far better then Caddie, Navigator, and even Merc.
    I wished Lexus would have made something similar . The new 330 SUV comes close but Lexus designed it for the ladies as to the FX45 was designed for 30 to 40 year old men . Good luck !
    We own LX470 and DenaliXL. Husband traded BMW740i sport for LX and loves it tho he was skeptical at first. LX is a more "friendly" vehicle ie - can put baseball equipment and children in car without freaking out, I think its a mind set about an SUV vs a lux sedan. Now he does not to take my DXL for all the dirty jobs - we have a rubber liner in back and on floors. To me this means we have 2 "working" cars again! (and I dont mean breaking down) He likes the lux and being higher up and safety. Nav is awesome. Very comfortable car plus you can change the suspension to give a sport feel. I am in the minority when I say this, however, the GX does not compare to this vehicle and I drove both. PS we also owned RX and ES so I know about Lexus vehicles. Good luck

Regarding lots of miles, depends on your price point and gambling nature. The Lexus/Toyota product is a good one and well you might figure if it has gone 150K it might go another 50 or 100. Why dont you take the car you are thinking of to a Lexus dealer to have it checked out. One thing I do know is that the service for Lexus is far superior to Toyota so I would get the Lexus b4 I touched the Toy, just in case you have problems. Also check for one owner and all service records - maybe it was serviced always at the same dealer and just lots of freeway miles. Good luck to you too. Hope to have helped.
  • jimbo49jimbo49 Member Posts: 10
    I will be in the market for a 00 LX40 or a 01
    Land Cruiser & am a bit concerned about the future
    problems of such a sophisticated suspension system.
    My wife & I have test driven both suv's & she
    fell in love with the Lexus. Has anyone had any problems with their suspension? I am planning on keeping the car for many years.
    Any info will be appreciated.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    Good question because it would be one h*** of a cost to replace. Have a 2001 LX470 . I specifically bought this SUV for this option over the Land Cruiser . I have used this option almost everyday . It has become a habit of hitting the suspension switch to lower the LX when I reach my destination and so far to date I have had no problems . Lexus is built very well and I agree most thing will not last forever but this does come close. Also, I have had no RECALL notices ( not like some of my other previous vehicles ; BMW , VOLVO, FORD.) I did buy my LX new so you do risk a little on how the SUV was broken in . Look into "Lexus's Certified" , this may be your insurance policy just in case. Hope this answers your question !
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    My 2001 has lock on the spare tire release that you need in order to lower the spare. The manual makes no mention of this and tells you to use a part that has 0% chance of working. After being put on hold for 15 minutes, the roadside assistance person told me how to release the tire.

Was the manual updated or was there a supplement that explained this? I might have figured this out in the dark without the manual but following what the manual said left me stumped. Am I stupid?

The manual talks about a slotted screwdriver used to open the plastic cap on the bumper. The kit only has a Phillips head. I eventually just used the ignition key.
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Hey all. My wife has a 2001 RX 300; I just purchased a 2003 GX 470 that I thought would be mine until my wife took one look at it, and demanded that it be hers!
    To that end, I am looking at purchasing an LX 470. I like a bigger SUV, and the GX 470 was just a tad small for me in the driver's seat. ( The lack of a center arm rest console on the GX 470 drove me nuts! - no place to put my right arm!)
    The vehicle I am looking at has a list price of around $65,500. Since this will be my third Lexus - and I got the GX 470 ONE WEEK AGO, what would be a decent price? I would expect a bigger discount than a first time Lexus buyer - especially since the ink on the check I wrote last week isn't even dry. The same sales person at the dealer "ballparked" a price of around $62,500. I am inclined to think that he can do "better" than that. We haven't negotiated yet.
    Thoughts and comments?
    Thanks for any responses.
    Alan
    I also HATE those little fold down armrests. Any car, minivan, suv that has 'em -- I will not buy. My wife has an RX 300 and they don't bother her a bit. I've tried to see if a quality aftermarket armrest is available but have had no luck.

Before shelling out the $$ for an LX, notice that the Toyota 4runner (GX non-lux brother) has a full center armrest/console so it IS possible to put a real armrest in there. The key is to have a quality product with quality installation -- perhaps if you push your dealer's parts department they can find something for you?

As far as LX price -- I was shopping for one late last year and could have gotten one for around $60K with Levinson audio (no night vision - which is useless IMHO, and no rear seat entertainment). It was during the "December to Remember" sales campaign so I don't know if you can get something similar. From what I understand it is much easier to get a bargain here in South Fla. than in other places. These LX's are outstanding vehicles but there are roomier, less expensive vehicles out there with more features.

I went with the '03 Navigator Ultimate (52K) and have not regretted it. It includes these features for thousands less: power disappearing third row (much roomier too), HID headlamps, power running boards, reverse parking assistance, navigation system, and rear seat DVD player. In my opinion, Lincoln quality and styling is improving dramatically and they are almost (not yet though) up to Lexus standards.

Still, if the LX had more room and more features I'd jump on it -- there's just something special about a lexus product that IMO has not been matched by any other car maker.

Good luck on your search!
  • james135james135 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Do you guys have any news when will the Lexus 470 be coming out with the all new body?
    Thanks
    I have "heard" on this and other boards that the new LX may be called the VX540, will get more room, a horsepower bump as well as a significant price increase. I've also read it is coming out in 2005 as 2006 model. I have no idea if this info is reliable. Any Lexus folks who have some hard info please chime in!

As far as my preferences go I hope this already wonderful SUV gets the following:

* Roomier third row -- hopefully with a fold flat dissapearing design
    * High Intensity Discharge headlights (why they don't come on current LX's I'll never know!)
    * front and rear parking assist (like in the LS430 ultra lux)
    * rear view camera
    * and PLEASE keep the full center armrest -- no little folding thingies!!!)
    and while I'm wishing...
    how about a power liftgate in the rear like in the RX!!

These features along with the current bulletproof design and quality of the current LX would be the PERFECT automobile for me.
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    A quick question re: gasoline for the 2003 LX 470.
    The owner's manual says that octane 87 (regular) is OK for the engine, but for "ideal" functioning (or something to that effect), premium fuel should be used. I know that it is the same engine as the Toyota Sequoia which takes regular.

Should the LX 470 be fed premium, or is regular OK?
    Thanks for all responses.
    Best,
    Alan
    Price: I would call large dealer internet fleet managers and get best price. Deal over invoice. Diff parts of country are diff. However, if you do this w/ about 5 or so dealers you will get best price. Word to wise - this vehicle is in limited production due to the influx of all those GX's so harder to find than GX. Dealers only get a few LX so may need to trade in stock or from boat. If live on So cal I can give you more info on my purchase. We love our 03 LX. BTW, we drove GX, ML, X5, and Nav (and Aviat)and felt LX worth the extra cost (also own DXL). Also, Navs are noted for problems so make sure you want to deal with your local dealer so he can give you decent rentals when your car is in shop.
    Gas: We use premium. Dont want to risk using regular or plus when it possibly could reduce performance or worse yet, wreck engine or working parts. If you get this truck, extra 100 or so bucks a year for premium is probably affordable and definitely worth it for life of truck. There are reasons that premium gas is recommended so I would just go with that. PS - we had trouble on previously owned vehicle that rec prem and we used reg - I feel it may have been a reason we had probs, we had less when we switched to prem fuel.
    Good luck to all.
  • aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2000 LX470. What brands of aftermarket 'white lights' have been the best for this vehicle? I am looking at PIAA's but they are pricey.. I mainly would like upgraded low beams.

I am used to the Xenon's in my BMW...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.