Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Freelander Maintenance and Repair

12346»

Comments

• Options
    mom62650mom62650 Member Posts: 5
    Did you get that in writing that it needed a new engine? I would gladly pay the $65 to be told that at this point.

I have been in contact with the lawyer mentioned above, and have been told to the get " it needs a new engine" from a dealer. My problem is that the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, and I am not sure if the vehicle will make it!

My selling dealer (used) told me the wholesale value of the car is $5000 -- What do you think the odds are that a LR dealer would give you that for this POS? I already had a service manager tell me to NOT repair the vehicle just based on the timing belt issue. Wish I had that on paper.

Just count me another very unhappy Freelander owner.
  • Options
    seventhson74seventhson74 Member Posts: 3
    So, it's 4 months later and I thought I would give you an update. We have been unable to deal with the dealer so we've gone to Land Rover corporate. They actually havn't been that bad but really slow. I have had to continue to make payments on this truck and it's still taking up allot of space in my driveway. Landrover has mentioned that they are willing to pay for a replacement engine if I will pick up the cost of labor. They will also give us a year warranty on the engine. This has been going on for over 2 months now. I don't know how close we are to getting this resolved, but I just want to get this monthly payment out of my life! I need something reliable to cart my 2 kids around and Land Rover has proven that they are not reliable.
    Facebook is the next great place for advertisers. In that spirit I started a 'Land Rovers suck' group. I would like to invite anyone on this forum who is also on facebook to join and share their experiences so that more people can see that the issue wasn't due to a couple of poorly made vehicals in the line, but the whole line of Freelanders are defective!
    The group can be found at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=137135680008
    please share your experience!
  • Options
    seventhson74seventhson74 Member Posts: 3
    Another update....
    Land Rover still has not come through on their offer to replace the engine. The last time Land Rover spoke to us was in Mid-December and they wanted to know how much we owed on the truck. If it wouldn't ruin our credit I would just stop paying the monthly bill on the truck and let them reposess(sp?) it.
  • Options
    ccb4ccb4 Member Posts: 2
    Because I did not buy from their dealership, they would not honor any preestablished warrenty. The car is a wreck at this point. Each new piece I have had put on, it got worse and worse. I am afraid to have work done on it; it junked itself.

I had repairs done in their shop and the "check engine" light was not on. When I drove out of the shop it was on and I stopped to ask them why it was on now. They said they did not know and said, "oh, I suppose you think we are going to fix it now". Well, lets see, it was not on when I got there, and it is before I drove out of the garage.

The engine is so messed up now that I have put another $200.00 of minor fixups and parts that I had put in outside of the dealership due to their attitude, and the darned thing still does not function alright.

Good luck to anyone who has a Freelander.
  • Options
    redrovyredrovy Member Posts: 2
    On a trip over to Florida I had my check engin light come on and now my car is running so ruff...any Ideas on what could be wrong?
  • Options
    sripleysripley Member Posts: 39
    Those are the symptoms of the Head Gasket Failure problem with Landrover Freelanders 2000-2005(yr model was discontinued). The way to know for sure is by noticing your coolant level dropping more quickly and you can check the underside of the oil cap sometimes has some of the emulsified oil and coolant mixture stuck to it.

This problem is widespread, even the Landrover Dealer mechanic knew the problem as soon as I brought it in for service (before the cars engine eventually died, oil completely filled up the radiator system). The only repair is a new engine, which is not cheap (if any engines are available at all out there) and Land Rover North America does not help.

My advice would be to have the problem formally diagnosed by a mechanic and there was an attorney Howard Gutman (search this forum for his name), who supposedly will assist in legal avenues. Unfortunately for us owners, Landrover only has claimed responsibility for a recalled Brake Light Switch and Gas Fuel Pump to date.
  • Options
    redrovyredrovy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 freelander Landrover has anyone else had a problem with the display screen going out on it. For a long time it would go off and on and now it is just off...it is really a pain. :( the readio still works as dose the CD player but no display screen.
  • Options
    cwoolnercwoolner Member Posts: 16
    I don't know about all you of past and current ticked off LR owners, but watching all this scrutiny over Toyota sure is making me feel like WE have not been heard regarding the lack of response and ownership LR has shown to the general public regarding their faulty and UNSAFE Freelanders! Watching the government say they are going to hold Toyota's "feet to the fire" to produce a safe vehicle really irks me! Shouldn't they hold ALL car makers "feet to the fire" to produce safe vehicles, without defects such as engine failure? Someone needs to hold LR accountable for the lemon vehicles they made!

Just needed to vent - NOT that I feel any better! :sick:
  • Options
    desertchildazdesertchildaz Member Posts: 11
    They are holding Toyota's feet to the fire because there traditionally have been two car makers that have been consistently making high quality dependable vehicles:

Toyota
    Honda

When my Freelander shriveled up and died, knowing I lost $9,000 on it, my boss (who knows his stuff and is quite protective of me, like a father) said to me: "You will replace this car with a Toyota or a Honda. Don't buy anything else." (He drives a Porsche, go figure.)

Anyway, I think people have come to expect Land Rovers to be crap since Land Rover has been passed around from manufacturer to manufacturer (BMW, Ford, and whatever company owns it now) over the past decade. But, yes, ALL car makers should be held accountable. But government no longer works for the People. It works for the corporations. Pharmaceutical companies have the FDA in their pocket, big monopoly communication companies have the FCC in their pocket. I'm amazed the gov't is holding Toyota's feet over the first. Maybe they're out of marshmallows.
  • Options
    da2da2 Member Posts: 4
    I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my 2005 Freelander! I just put a new lemon scented air freshener in it because it is now sitting in my driveway with a blown engine.
  • Options
    sheffieldinosheffieldino Member Posts: 1
    according to my 30 years driving used cars
    (1) milky caramile when you take out the oli level stick it means your top engine gasket is gone sorray I dont know the mechanic tearm but any ways
    if it is at the begining you should stop it and take it to the machanic to replace the top long gasket only,plus after that you have to replace new filter oil and oil for at least 2 times and than check the status of the oil color via engine oil stick.soory do not forget to clean the corporator if it has the same with all the best
    (2)
    people keep adding the colant for so many times ,you will end up with what you called milky color,and this is how it started with my mazda 1981 back than.and found out that the water am adding it goes to the engine and this how i got the milky color,due to the broken top engine gasket

that all i know my friend with all the best
  • Options
    yosemiteloryosemitelor Member Posts: 1
    Hi just bought a 03 freelander yesterday and REALLY wish i would have found this link first as i would not have done it. All the professional reviews seemed to rate the car very well, even here on Edumunds, and that is WHY i bought it - dont understand that contrast. But its my problem now. Anyone know how i can find previous maintenance records to see if any of this repair work has been done? Car seems to run great and not overheat or lose anti-freeze right now - but check engine light came on on my drive home. Is there anything i can do in way of preventative maintenace right now to delay what seems like it will be the inevitable? Car seems to have numerous electrical problems too- moon roof, vanity lights, map lights, clock, and cruise control not working - have any suggestions for a do it yourself fix? Also seem to have the 3 amigos problem - any suggestions on that also? The vehicle has 82K on it now and Blue Book Private party is between 7200-7400 - how can it have such a high blue book when its known to have so many serious problems? Any comments or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated!
  • Options
    miamiedmiamied Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I bought a 2003 freelander(96,000 miles) like a year ago as a gift to my wife and since I bought we have not been able to drive it for two days straight!
    It's been on the shop for all this time,
    First was the coolant coming out the muffler cause of a head blown off,
    Tried to repair it but the parts are so expensive and impossible to find, even the cylinders head bolts are impossible to find and cost more than 35 dollars each (16). The heads cost more than 2,000 each on the dealer or $700 each used. To fix the timing cost more than $900 labor, labor for the heads another $900. So in total in total I have wasted more than $5,000 for labor and parts for a vehicle that I have not driven, counting all days straight, a week!!
    Now It's there cause its making a knocking sound and after it runs for ten minutes it won't start again.
    I'm had it with this piece of s..., I'm not paying another cent, this is the worst vehicle ever made!!! I just want to burn it and put it to rest, but I've invested so much and need to see if o can get some of it back to try and buy her something better so she can drive my kids. I know nobody in there right mind will buy it, so I need some information about any class action suit or any legal information against these callous manufacturer( land rover).

Please I need all the help u can give on this regard!
    Thanks
  • Options
    dwtrade17dwtrade17 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Free lander alternator needs replacing. We got the top bolts out of the alternator fine. then the bottom bolt will not slide all the way out enough to remove the old alternator. It seems the motor mount bracket is blocking it.

Anyone know how to remove the ALTERNAOR BOLTS WITHOUT DISCONNECTING THE MOTOR MOUNTS OR IS THAT NORMAL?