Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Spectra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited July 2014 in Kia
Please use the following discussion to post your experiences when shopping for an Kia Spectra, including how much you paid if you'd like. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Prices Paid Forum

Comments

• loco5loco5 Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to post my experience and pricing paid for my new Spectra5 I purchased this week.

$16965 was MSRP for the 2005 Kia Spectra5 manual tranny.
    This included the options of Sunroof, ABS, Cruise, and Floormats.

I negotiated the price of $15114, which is 3/4% over invoice - cash back incentive of $1000.

I did all of this via the web as I test drove one over the weekend and decided that was what I wanted and I proceeded to email all dealers and negotiate for the best deal.

Thanks,
    Keith
  • rsxyjade84rsxyjade84 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! I just purchased a 2005 Spectra5 about 2 weeks ago. So far I am really impressed with the car. Very quiet,handles good,great gas mileage! I was wondering if anyone has mod their cars? Does it void the warranty?? I was happy with the price sticker was 18,000 cause I got it with sunroof and sport package I think it said but then I got a 1,000 rebate! I got it in black and wished now I would have gotten it in spark blue..lol..oh well.. :)
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    don't do anything that you can't change back before you take it to the dealer for repair work...Like lowering it would be a warranty void-er. Chipping would too. I too like the lighter colors on this car...they show off the body line that runs from the front over the wheel and along the side. :)
  • kaisabukkaisabuk Member Posts: 4
    I bought the Silver Spectra5 fully loaded minus the ABS. The sticker price was 17,500, we got the car for 260 a month, no down payment and Lojack installed. They gave us a price of 13,880. The term of the loan is a little long because of the lack of a down payment, but it worth every penny. The more I drive this beauty, the better it rides. I test drove this baby and fell in love right away and only read reviews of other cars. It was the best value of all the cars out there. Where can I find new emblems for this car, I would have to bring it back to the dealer and make appointments and I have no time for that, I just want to order one. :D
    The sticker price for my Spectra5 was 17,500, We got it at 13,880. The test drive was an instant sell, but we had no money for a down payment so we were going to wait, but they kept throwing offers at us. Then we finally caved and and bought the best looking, handling, driving car for the cost. I just wish my fiance wanted a 5 speed.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    Bought Saturday morning, automatic, sunroof, cruise control & floor mats. MSRP was $17540, minus $610 dealer discount & $1000 rebate. This dealer does not negotiate from their advertised price which, in this case, is well below Edmund's TVM. After the test drive, I had two 5-minute phone calls over the next two weeks before deciding. The dealer is 90 miles from me. Other Kia dealers are 85-100 miles in different directions. So comparison shopping is not worth my time or expense. I also bought a Hyundai Accent from this dealer three years ago base on a firm price quote in an email, which took two minutes to write. This dealer handles 15 brands, including Mazda, Nissan, Chevy, Lexus and Jaguar. They are all sold the same way.
    How much did you actually pay for the vehicle? You mentioned the MSRP, but never gave the actual dealer set price.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    $17540 - $610 - $1000 = $15930 before taxes
    Wow I can't believe that a car place can charge that much for a car and not even let you haggle. How do they stay in business?
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    This forum has been really helpful, guys. I always have a couple dozen good car choices in mind....but the Spectra5 has been my top choice for months now. I just have to have one. My only problem is....which color! I guess I don't really care. I'm having a hard enough time finding one with an automatic and ABS. :cry:
  • aerostaticaerostatic Member Posts: 1
    Hi there!

New to the forum and I was curious -- I currently drive a 2002 Kia Spectra [base model] that's been having quite a few problems for about six months, including some belt problems, a suddenly dead battery, replaced starter, alternator and I'm actually taking it in tomorrow to have a CV axle and possibly my transmission replaced!

I've been doing research on the Spectra5. I actually went to a dealership today [when it's closed, so I can look without being bothered!] and am getting pretty convinced this would be a really good deal for me.

Question for those who've traded in a Kia: does Kia still offer the owner loyalty bonus? In December,/January the dealership I've been getting my car fixed at offered me the bonus, so I know it was still around as recently as that. Also, I'm pretty sure it was $1500. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help!
  • crowbarcrowbar Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone been dealing on or checking prices of a 2005 Spectra5 recently? I was wondering what sort of quotes you have been getting. I have gotten one from a local dealer that was $15,253.00 for automatic and cruise. Is this reasonable? I would have thought a lower price would be warranted given that the '06 line-up will be out very soon.
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    crowbar, FWIW, according to my scribble notes from this past Sunday afternoon (can't read my own writing sometimes) says here: Silver Spec5 auto..."no options" which means I probably didn't spot a sunroof or abs on the sticker. Don't recall if cruise & mats were there or not on this one. $100 b.s. processing fee. Total on "Gotta go! Clearin' Inventory!" sticker on window - $14395.

Iowa, seems you and I are seeing the same thing. Zoomer3 has a price for those willing to pay it. Elantra 5 door v. Spec5 for me and my house coming up. For BEEP & giggles, test drove an '04 GT 5spd Elantra in mint condition with low miles and what I thought was a decent price. Absolutely HATED the vinyl (sp?) looking and feeling "leather seats". Since this car could not corner nearly as good as my lil' '00 LX Protege', when going 'round the bend, the sliding fanny going with while grabbing the wheel for stability didn't seem real fun. Cloth for me which I guess rules out the GT's. Elantra 5 doors still an option.

I too, reeeeeeelly like "the looks" of this Spec5. My opinion, it's newer than the Elantra thus the slight disadvantage in pricing. But just wait about 29 more days... :)
  • crowbarcrowbar Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the input. The best quote I have gotten so far is now $14,325.00 with mats, cruise and automatic, so I'm thinking there might not be a lot more wiggle room left. I'm really impressed with the car. I also checked out the Elantra but was not overly impressed with the 'look' of it. I much prefer the Kia.
  • humanhuman Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2005 SX (no options) in Los Angeles a few days ago. Here's the break down:

(MSRP + destination = $15,900)
    ($14,100 selling price) - ($1750 rebate) = $12,350 (excluding ttl)

The Spectra5 was selling for the same price but the rebate is $1000. So if I bought the Spectra5 I would have paid $13,100 (excluding ttl)

0% financing can be subsituted for the rebate. They also have a "competing car" rebate for $750 if you qualify by already owning a car in their list of competing cars (see the kia website for the list).

During the walk through of features the salesperson told me that the check engine light would come on if I open the fuel cap while the car was still on or if I don't close it tight enough. It didn't occur to me to ask why at the time but now I'm wondering if this is by design or just a defect?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it has to do with your car's sensors, which are very sensitive. It will read the "not clicking your gas cap enough times" as a slight exhaust emissions leak and cause the check engine light to come on. I have experienced this with both of my Kia's, including my current Kia, a 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4.

Just don't take your gas cap off while the motor is running and do twist your gas cap on and keep twisting it until your hear 6 or 7 clicks. Otherwise the check engine light will come on and you'll have to have it looked at at your dealership. You can wait for it to cycle itself off-it will turn itself off (the check engine light) in time, say, after starting your Kia and driving it around and shutting it off again several times. It's frustrating but if you follow the emboldened tips above you can avoid it completely.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• sdlfjkasdfjasdlfjkasdfja Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2005 Kia Spectra EX in Minneapolis.

The car is an automatic, with the additional options of cruise control, alloy wheels and floor mats. The selling price was $14,950 - 1750 rebate = 13,200 excluding the tax, title and license fees. I was not eligible for the competing car rebate.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    I noticed that Hyundai dropped their incentive on Elantra from $1250 to $500 for October, and Kia, at least so far, has not renewed their competive bonus of $500 on the Spectra since it expired Sept 30. Are the good deals getting away, or should I sit tight a little longer?
    Hey doohickie, just wanted to let ya know I picked up an Elantra GT hatch this past Friday night (the 30th). Had the wife breathin' down my neck to trade in our Zoomer and get something with that new car smell. Since time was running against me (angry wife was getting angrier!) and Hyundai/Kia wasn't workin' with me in the free flow of information category (had no clue on the '06 arrivals...and still don't!...had no idea on the possible upcoming rebates...and still don't!), I bit the bullet. Didn't get the mega deal I was pulling for but did okay in the end (9:45pm EST on the last day of the month/end of quarter).

In the end thought the Elantra the better car although definitely dated in comparision to the Spec5. A lil' cheaper too. Know you're kickin' the two around yourself and thought I'd throw these comments your way. Do hope you have the advantage of waiting a bit longer than I did. Mrs. Doohickie I hope for your sake is much more patient than Mrs. zoomzoomitis. Makes the whole process MUCH easier!

Last checked, the crop of '05's are still out there and they haven't moved since Friday (end of rebate day) here locally. I'm thinkin' if you've got the time, the deal will definitely come your way if you stay flexible on your wants and needs. That reduction to $500 on the Elantra is sucker money. My opinion.

All the best and much luck in that final decision.

zoomzoom
    05 Elantra hatches are pretty rare around here; I haven't seen one on a lot in a few weeks. I'm sure they are around to be had, but I would definitely have to order one I think. 05 Spec5s are very plentiful though.

But it just torques me off that both companies have slashed their incentives at the end of the model year. They should be slashing prices! I suppose they've managed to meet sales goals and don't feel compelled to move their stock. Or maybe they just haven't put the new incentives on the website yet.

In frustration, I checked the Suzuki dealer and fell in love (again) with the Reno. I just love the look of the car, inside and out. The stock stereo is much better than Spec5 or Elantra, and they still have their incentives. They are offering $1000 back on 2006 models, plus $500 for recent graduates (like my wife who got her degree in May). So I'd be looking at a pretty loaded Reno for no more than $13,500, maybe a little less if they throw in some dealer cash.

I just don't have as much confidence in the Suzuki brand, especially the Daewoo-built models. If I knew it would be reliable, it would be the Reno, hands down.

I will talk to a Hyundai dealer or two later this week when I get some time. If they can offer me any kind of a decent deal on an Elantra hatch, I'll probably take it. If not that, then the Spec5; if not that, I might just go for the Reno.
    I think there's something to be said for sales goals having been met. One place I went to gave me such a lowball offer on my trade it was roll on the floor laughable. I happened to know the sales guy and he kinda told me to get to the door as quick as possible. His "boss" was trying to steal my car. IOW, they reeeeeally didn't want to sell anymore of their in stock Elantras. Supply was running a lil' low I think and they wanted to keep what they had for another month especially IF the '06's don't show up 'til the later part of Oct/early Nov. Might be wrong but that was my gut.

Did have to travel a bit to snag my car but the supply was much greater at this cross town dealership. Much higher incentive to move rubber you might say (Their website does claim "Largest Hyundai dealership in volume on the entire East Coast." Who am I to argue?). As I got up and started walkin' towards the door, "my number" magically appeared. Imagine that.

Yeah, I can see the Kia Spec5 might be more abundant than the Elantra GT hatch in some areas although I do think since you mentioned you were interested in the automatic, they (the GT's) ARE out there in larger #'s than the 5 speeds. My opinion, trust hasn't exactly gone through the roof yet with the American public I think on the Kia brand. That's not to say that it won't, just hasn't yet. Hyundai's a little bigger corporate wise and is hitting the JD Power rankings rather well of late. Time will tell if this brand new Korean car of mine stands up to the Japanese products. For the three grand discount I calculated right off the bat, I thought it worth the gamble.

Suzuki cars? Nah. Doohickie, you know better than that. Don't get "torqued" at Hyundai/Kia. Get even. Wait to see what the next hand in the card game deals ya...again, if you've got the time and patience. I still maintain since you didn't pull the trigger yet, wait. There's a car out there that's going to come right into your sights.

PS Spoilers falling off...hmmm...nervous? I was too.
    The Kia salesman just called. Without giving me an "official" quote over the phone, it looks like a $17000 Spectra5 will cost me about $15000. This is more than I want to pay, but he said there is a good chance we can get the special Kia finance rate of 2.9%. My credit numbers are not good enough to automatically get that rate (just a few points below prime), but the salesman said I might still get it if we apply for the loan. After my downpayment, my monthly payment on a 5 year loan would be less than $270 month (my target is $250, but I could afford more).

This number assumes a reduced rebate ($500) and $500 for new graduate incentive (for my wife). And there may still be a little wiggle room for the dealer to bargain a bit.
    I found a Hyundai Elantra hatch with everything I want except the CD stereo (and I'm not averse to putting an aftermarket unit in). Over the phone the salesman said it would be about $13700 to $14000. I think I prefer the Elantra to the Spectra anyway, so I hope to drive out to the dealer (almost an hour from here) tomorrow afternoon and check it out. I may come back with a new Elantra. I was hoping to do better, but with Hyundai cutting back on their incentives, this may be the best I can do.

The model is a Hyundai Elantra 5-door with cruise and AT (no other options).
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    Hi,

How do you like your new 2005 spectra 5 with manual tranny?

Is your car with the 138 hp engine or previous lower powered engine?
  • oknitrooknitro Member Posts: 3
    hi everyone! new to the group, we bought our 05 spectra 5 in may 05, all options, we paid 21,000CAN for it, they threw on the kia front visor and tinted the windows for us too. we took the stock mp3 player out, and replaced it with a jvc mp3/wma deck that has exact same metallic trim as the dash, a perfect match, we opted for the 5spd, would you take anything else? just had awesome mileage last month too! gas here in BC was $1/litre, we only spent $50 for the entire month of aug in gas, and we do a lot of city driving. fun to drive, slick looking car, and wicked on gas! we love it!
  • sly71sly71 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I am considering the purchase of a 2006 Kia Spectra SX, with auto-transmission, antilock brakes, and spoiler. The only thing it is missing is the sunroof, which I am contimplating finding another with it or just doing without. The sticker is 17,500.

I wanted to know how much you got your car for, before TTT. I am trying to see how much negociation room there is on this car. thanks so much!!
  • sly71sly71 Member Posts: 2
    was the 13,880 after tax tag and title or before?? I am looking at one that also has a 17,500 sticker and I want to see how much room I can move on the price

thanks so much!!
  • masta159masta159 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I posted this earlier in a different forum but I want to throw out what I was offered by the dealer & was wondering if anyone thinks it's a good one. They offered $14995 for an automatic Spectra5 & $12670 for Spectra (4 door). I like the hatchback better. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • herfnerdherfnerd Member Posts: 4
    Automatic or stick? Sunroof?
  • masta159masta159 Member Posts: 3
    No sunroof, but automatic. This is also the price before taxes or any other charges but it includes all rebates & incentives.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Hyundai Kia Spectra. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    dear carman- as far as I know , Kia Financial does not offer leases on the cars at all , at this time. At least in New York State. A problem with a Kia Lease is , like all leases, it is based on the residual value of the car. Presently , Kia does not want to get stuck like Mitsubishi did by selling or leasing a bunch of cars to crummy people that beat them to heck and then welch on the payments. Mitsubishi lost an amazing amount of money after the initial sales thrust they got going with the first " Fast and the Furious" movie. They lost over $ 4 BILLION dollars on bad loans/ leases.

If the value of a used KIA ever amounts to something then leasing may become a possibility. right now the cars are still too new to the used car industry to command any predicable resale value.

I have two Kias and am happy with them . But I know if I want to sell my 2002 Spectra I won't get much for it. But if I had bought a Honda Civic it would worth the value of Gold.

There is the rub with leasing a newer brand opf car.
  • tmporttmport Member Posts: 19
    I bought a new 2006 Specta5 today, Spark Blue w/ ABS and sunroof, MSRP $18,675. It was a "demonstrator" model w/ 447 miles on the odometer.

I paid $13,250 plus tax/tags/title, for $14,322 out the door. I live in Washington, DC.
  • brunojoebrunojoe Member Posts: 22
    any ides on price for this model OTD? thanks bruno
  • docbillnetdocbillnet Member Posts: 2
    We were ready to purchase the KIA here in Hamilton. The dealer gave us a turnkey quote of $22767.60 for the 2007 LT Convenience Automatic with 0% financing. I did research, and thought this was a pretty good deal, as this corresponds to about $1600 discount. We were going to finalize the deal today, but I notice of the three payment plans was $379 per month for 60 months + a $3000 deposit. But that totaled $25767.60.

When we asked about it, we were told she made a mistake, and the correct turnkey price was $25558.62. And that was computed from a vehicle price of $20020. I did the math, and figured out, somewhere there was an extra $700 fee they did not tell us about, and there quote was $1600 more than what the kia.ca website computes after I add the 14% tax. So we politely said no thanks and bought a 2008 Toyota Matrix instead. In the end we paid about a thousand dollars more for the Toyota Matrix due to financing costs, but the car hold is value better, and it is a 2008 not a 2007.

I just don't get it. The KIA is clearly a lower quality vehicle, with nearly twice the cost of routine maintenance. Why would someone pay so much for it? And why can't they even give quotes were all the numbers add up correctly? And do they think we are idiots enough to believe the Canadian version gets 46 MPG, when the US version gets 30 MPG?

Bill
  • brettbumbrettbum Member Posts: 3
    The local Kia Dealership is offering $11k off of all Kia models.

Resulting prices:
    Sedona - $15,775
    Rondo - $11,775
    Optima - $10,775
    Sorento - $12,775
    Spectra Sedan- $7,775
    Rio Sedan - $6,775

These are all new 2007 models.

HOWEVER

:) (You knew that had to be coming :P )

When I went to the dealership (without ad in hand, wanted to test them for honesty and how forthright they might be.

They did mention the $11k discount, but told me that it was only available on the vans and SUVs and only on the models that were fully loaded, resulting in a final price on the Van for example of about $23k.

The discount included a $1500 rebate and $3k in customer loyalty stuff.

When I tried to get the specifics from the dealer (when I asked about their ads) I was told that the cars did not have air conditioners. The detailed explanation was that the cars were made for the North and shipped down here to North Carolina.

Rebuttal to bad line

1. I'm from Illinois and it gets as hot in Illinois as it does in North Carolina. Air Conditioners are just as essential there as they are here in North Carolina, now maybe a car without airconditioning might sell in Alaska, but I doubt even then that a small little Kia would drive well in the snow.

2. They pointedly showed me the small little air conditioner in the other cars. The air conditioner is smaller than a small can of folgiers coffee (like about the girth of a 1 liter bottle of water, but a little shorter). I sincerely doubt that a small air conditioner like that is really worth $3.5k ($16k normal price - less $4500 in discounts = $11.5k - $8k selling price is $3.5k for an air conditioner.)

That's one hell of an air conditioner!

On a separate note, if they advertise a Kia new for $7-8k, that cannot be good for the resale value of used cars of the same make and model. ;)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Optima owner just passing through.

I bought a Kia rather than a Sonata because of similar crap from the local Hyundai dealer.

The sad fact is that Kia and Hyundai both have more than a normal share of sleazy dealers. Sad, although the snottiness of many top tier (Toyota, Honda) Japanese dealers is almost as disconcerting.
    You hit the nail on the head regarding the snottiness factor of many of the Japanese dealerships.

I had a Honda sales guy tell me that he didn't want to sell me a Prelude for MSRP, because his manager was thinking about selling at auction the next day, where they typically sold for $3k over MSRP.

My response, go right ahead, and by the way, why do you have a dealership at all, if you can sell cars for $3k over MSRP at auction?

I've never been back to a Honda dealer since(had other stupid run ins before that).

I've had better luck at Toyota dealerships, but that could be a fluke.

Now, when it comes to Mitsubishi dealerships, (I like Mitsubishi cars in general), I've never found a Mitsubishi dealership that didn't literally break the law (seriously) at least once during my visit.

I've been to Mitsubishi dealerships in 3 states to buy cars (because I like their cars and I keep thinking they can't all be crooks), I am seriously disappointed everytime I go there.

Funny thing is Mitsubishi took almost a half billion hit a few years back due to their bad vehicle loans, partly related to their predatory lending practices. Those lending practices may work for the mafia, but they don't work long term for car sales.
    For what its worth, 3 days after my visit, the local paper is now running the same add with prices adjusted down by $1000 (total discount of $12k instead of $11k).

So those numbers I quoted above are now $1k lower. Hope no one is trying to sell one of these cars used!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
  • jmharnjmharn Member Posts: 1
    A dealer is ready to offer me $14.5K for Spectra EX. That is after $1500 rebates.

After reading the other forums like the Spectra5 prices, is this a good deal? I have a hunch that it will not be.

Can someone share how much they pay for their 2007 SPectra EX or SX?
  • prairiewriterprairiewriter Member Posts: 5
    I’ve been hunting and hunting for a 2007 Spectra LX with the convenience package and automatic. I’ve contacted at least 6 dealers, and the best price I can get is $18,861.30 (CAN) inclusive of fees and taxes. This includes the trade of my 1998 Toyota Corolla with 140000 km. I can’t believe some of the prices I’ve seen posted in this and other forums. Even with the exchange rate, US buyers are getting amazing deals! The reason I am looking now is due to the great financing on offer. I really like the Kia and will likely take the plunge tomorrow. If any Canadians are reading, let me know how badly I’m getting ripped off!

PW
  • prairiewriterprairiewriter Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, I posted this in the wrong area originally.

I’ve been hunting and hunting for a 2007 Spectra LX with the convenience package and automatic. I’ve contacted at least 6 dealers, and the best price I can get is $18,861.30 (CAN) inclusive of fees and taxes. This includes the trade of my 1998 Toyota Corolla with 140000 km. I can’t believe some of the prices I’ve seen posted in this and other forums. Even with the exchange rate, US buyers are getting amazing deals! The reason I am looking now is due to the great financing on offer. I really like the Kia and will likely take the plunge tomorrow. If any Canadians are reading, let me know how badly I’m getting ripped off!

Since I posted the original message, I have purchased the vehicle. So, if you think I got a lousy deal ($16,545 CAN plus applicable taxes) don’t tell me!

As the title for this discussion includes “…and buying experience” I thought I would relate my buying experience. In a word, awful. In fact, the experience was so bad I started doubting my choice of vehicle and seriously thought about cancelling the deal.

Another dealer had appraised my trade in and offered $4000 for it. I sent an email to another local dealer asking if they could better the overall price. They did and asked me to come and “seal the deal”. When I arrived at the dealership (after driving for an hour) they re-appraised my trade and stated that they could only give me $3500 for it. I indicated that I was leaving and they then agreed on the $4000 price. When we finalized the deal my wife and I were sent to the Business Manager’s office where the hard sell began. We were offered insurance, paint and fabric protection and an extended warranty. When I refused the extended warranty ($2300) I was asked to “justify my decision”. The Business Manager was extremely rude and pushy and had no qualms showing how pissed off he was that we had declined all of the offers. Again, I almost walked away.

The dealership called two days after my purchase to ask when I wanted to take delivery. As I was working from home I indicated that I would like to do it before the end of the business day if possible. The salesman indicated that they were busy with “other stuff” and asked me to come in the following day. In the interim I noticed that the dealership had a “Manager’s Special” promotion that included a “$1000 rebate, Free TireGard Road Hazard Warranty, Free Nitrogen Tire System Application and Free Accessory of your choice valued up to $120”. The offer was applicable to “all in stock 2007 Spectras”. I was given the $1000 rebate, and (very reluctantly) the TireGard Road Hazard Warranty and Free Nitrogen Tire System Application. When I indicated that I wanted winter floor mats (approx $100) and a touch up paint pen ($11) as my “free accessory” I was told that they would not be provided. The reason I was given by the dealership was that I had “negotiated on the price of the vehicle and didn’t really qualify for the advertised items” and that they had already been “very generous”. I indicated that the advertisement was undated and contained no small print about the offer being invalid if the price was negotiated. The salesman agreed that the ad did not contain any small text and still refused to provide the free accessory. I decided to let the Better Business Bureau sort it out – they have already processed three claims (that I didn’t know about) against the dealership. It’s a small thing, but being my first new car I expected a better experience.

Although we disliked our buying experience and the dealership, we love the car. It’s quiet and has loads of fantastic features. I’m debating having it sprayed by Krown – we live in the “salt belt” in Southern Ontario, Canada. I just can’t bare the though of having holes drilled in my new car! :cry:

PW
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Time to rrade cars. Replacing my present and so far dependable, 2002 Taurus. This car has made 5 round trips to the West from my home in the Midwest with zero problems. (2200 miles each way.) Test drove a 2007 Spectra EX (4A) today. This car had 6100 miles from the first owner. Was impressed with many features but after reading the 2007 brochure, I'm confused by what is either a misprint on the specification pages or have the specifications changed?

One one page it states that ABS is an option on the EX Sedan. On the opposite page it states that ABS is standard, but optional on the SX sedan and 5 models. Anyone have a comment on this?

In reading the service problems with this model, I'm hesitant to make a purchase. Since Kia allows no deviation from the service interval mileages, and apparently disallows warranty claims (according to one post)if you are over the service interval by fractional miles. Obviously there is little or no leeway (plus or minus) permitted.

My cars are dealer serviced every 3,000 miles and inspected for any potential problems. However, there have been instances where the mileage has been exceeded by 100 miles.

Checking the owners service record for this particular car reveals that the intial 3,000 mile service was either not performed on not recorded in the service record. According to some postings for this make and model, many dealers simply refuse to honor any warranty problems based on this.

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.
  • isellkiasisellkias Member Posts: 4
    first off kia's oil changes have 2 seperate intervals. there is a 7500 (no stop and go/long trip only) and a service interval that is for "severe" (small trips without engine runnig for long period of time/stop and go/city.) next ABS IS ONLY OPTIONAL ON SX AND SPECTRA 5. NOT AVAILIBLE ON ANY LX OR EX SPECTRA. never has been never will be. you do realize that if you purchase the used vs the new you will only retain the 5-60 bumper to bumper and you will lose the 10yr-100000 powertrain warranty. you will retain the 5yr 60 as your powertrain coverage. you also do still get the remaining balance of the 5yr 60k roadside assistance coverage. just make sure you would want a used one because kia is offering some agressive rebates on the new ones. you can get them in the range of 13900 plus tax and tags
    Thanks for the valuable information on the servicing and oil change intervals. The brochure is somewhat vaguely arranged regarding the ABS system. IMHO.

I've read many reviews, many favorable, some otherwise on this model. One recurrent comment regarding the quality of the service departments appears frequently. Since you sell the product, this definitely does not help either the car's reputation or inspire the public's confidence in the dealer body.

Traveling West, as I do each Fall, I take note of the makes and frequency of sightings of cars with out-of-state plates at far distances from their home state. Over the last several years I've only spotted one Spectra (in Nebraska) with Connecticut tags. There are plenty of Sorentos and Kia vans however.

Thanks for the advice on purchasing new versus used.
  • krutmkrutm Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just saw your post and think I too may be making a mistake, if I understand you correctly. I recently purchased (new)2007 Sedona and a Spectra. I thought manual said it needs service/oil change every 7500 miles. I drive mostly city driving.did I get this wrong? Also- do you know if I have to do oil changes and services at a KIA dealership in order to maintain the warrantee? Lastly, once I am writing to you- would you or anyone know why -on both Sedona and Spectra- once every 2 weeks or so I shut off car and find the parking lights stay on.I do not have a setting marked "auto" ut I leave switch on the picture of the eyes and lights USUALLY go on automatically and off whenever I shut car...except once in a while ...???... I appreciate any help you can give me .Thanks.
    Not having purchased a Spectra as yet, and after reading the brochures and talking with salespeople, it's my understanding that when you open the drivers door, with the engine off, the lights automatically shut off.

According to the post from ISELLKIAS there are two oil change intervals. One is for no stop/go or long distance trips,(7500 miles) and one for stop/go driving i.e. city, where engine is turned off frequently. He did not mention what that stop/go mileage interval was.

Personally, I change oil/filter every 3K miles, regardless of what the owner's manual says. Outside of one battery failure, my present car has 63K with NO problems.

According to posts on the consumer ratings page, Kia is very, very strict on changing oil (according to that posting) within 5 miles of recommended mileage, OR they will not honor related warranty claims. This posting may be a little over the top, but check with your dealer to see if this is correct or just the requirements of that owners' dealer. From the various postings in the consumer ratings pages, warranty service for obvious defects may or may not be easy to obtain.

From the number of postings on the Spectra consumer ratings pages, it seems like many folks have experienced difficulty in trying to get warranty repairs.
    Sorry to have overlooked your question on dealer servicing.

My experience has been very positive in that respect. I'd strongly recommend dealer only servicing. If a warranty issue comes up, you've got records to prove that a defect exists since only the dealer has serviced the vehicle. This policy can avoid disputes over who's responsible for the work.

Is it more costly? Definitely. Does it pay off in the long run? Definitely.
  • sam96sam96 Member Posts: 3
    $15505 - price w/ AC, tint, Automatic transmission, no electric windows nope..
    -1000 trade in
    -1500 rebate
    so...

sound like BS or what folks

$13,505 + TTL

in TX

good bad? these are my options
This discussion has been closed.