Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tahoe Suburban CD MP3 iPod AUX XM Sirius

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
What a collection of acronyms!

Got a question about your radio (remember those)? Tune in here.

Comments

• magnitudemagnitude Member Posts: 8
    Just curious if anyone is making extensive use of their ipod/mp3 players with the Aux input. I'm finding myself using my ipod most of the time instead of CDs and I'm starting to think I may not lug around 100's of CDs anymore. Sound quality seems to be on a par with the CD (assuming the digital files are good quality) or just slightly behind.
  • rat55chevyrat55chevy Member Posts: 19
    For me, its either my iPod or XM.
    Lovin' the built-in XM as well. Huge improvement over my previous Roady2 setup in my '02 Trailblazer with wires going every which way.
  • ssoler2ssoler2 Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't XM's inferior sound quality to even standard FM bother you? I let my free trial expire on my 07 LTZ.
    It would if I had it just to listen to music. The only reason I have XM is for O&A and Ron & Fez. The lack of quality is noticeable when listening to music.
  • cecookcecook Member Posts: 23
    I have used most of the options frequently. I probably use the mp3 player most. I also use my ipod and sirius plug n play device through the aux input. I use the XM fairly often and have had no problems with sound quality or reception. I really prefer the programming of sirius but I cant talk myself into adding another device onto my dash, I like the flsuh look too much as it is. I am getting tired of my ipod dying since the aux input wont charge it. anyone added an interface to solve that problem yet?

Collins
  • cecookcecook Member Posts: 23
    Another solution would be to burn an mp3 cd. With this you can store upwards of 300 songs on one cd. that will keep you from having to carry around so many cds. you can also organize the songs into different folders (by artist or genre for example) to make it easier to find them amongst so many others.

Collins
    Belkin makes a product that plugs into the cigarette lighter and into the bottom of the ipod. It has a stereo jack, resulting in a true "line-out" from the ipod while charging the ipod at the same time. The sound quality is great. If you're using the headphone jack of the ipod to plug into Aux, you're really missing out. I tried this method first and the volume of the ipod had to be jacked all the way up.

Here's a link to the Belkin product:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=149006
  • gcmartingcmartin Member Posts: 19
    The Belkin item is good, but there is an even better charger/iPod dock for the Tahoe. Ten Technologies makes a unit that plugs into the lighter which holds your iPod on a flexible stalk. It is compatible with all iPods and has a 3.5mm adapter plug so you can connect it with the AUX plug on the dash. The sound is better than the CD! I just bought it and it's great. Using the FM was a joke in comparison. Especially here in Houston where free frequencies are few and far between. The best feature is the gain or boost switch which acts as a loudness button.

See link below:

http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php

Have fun and enjoy your Tahoe! So far so good with mine. Like it better than my Land Rover!
  • gcmartingcmartin Member Posts: 19
    Forgot to mention that you will need the 3.5mm male/male cable. Radio Shack has one that is 1 foot long and works great. I just coiled it around the stalk and looks like a slick, professional custom installation. Total cost was about $60

See my profile for pictures.">
    For me, the Belkin product is better because it gives me a bit more flexibility in where I place the ipod. I would think the stalk would get in the way and make it tougher to scroll/change songs, etc. Does look slick though.
  • samk17samk17 Member Posts: 13
    I must agree... XM quality is not what I expected... a lot worse than FM.
  • rat55chevyrat55chevy Member Posts: 19
    I have no issues with sound quality or reception. I'm in metro Detroit, maybe that is the difference. XM and the iPod sound great.
    Apple in deals to connect iPod in new car models:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060803/tc_nm/apple_automakers_dc_3
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    hi i live in quebec and couldn't find the belkin model...but instead i found a monster cable model that work very good and is available at the source/circuit city..

here it is....enjoy

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&cat- egory=ipod_car&product=1419577
  • brianthomasbrianthomas Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a new '07 Tahoe package LT2 but it does not have the XM option. Is the radio ready for an add-on kit or do I have to purchase a portable XM receiver? Anybody have experience with the '07s?
  • brianthomasbrianthomas Member Posts: 12
    Since I do have the aux. jack on the '07 radio can an XM or Sirius connect through that? Just want to buy what ever works best and does not look bad.

Anyone know if there is a radio exchange program through GM or Delphi to upgrade radios? I know there was 15 years ago when I was at a GM dealership.
  • dogs835dogs835 Member Posts: 4
    the lt that my wife and i just bought does not have the xm option, but the radio has a couple of features that are geared towards xm use.

for example, when i press the catagory button, the radio says "for xm use only" or "xm not installed" or something like that.

my questions is, is the xm radio different than the stock non-xm radio, or is there a card or chip or component that can be installed aftermarket to take advantage of xm?

i understand that xm is a subscription, but didn't want to pass on the truck just because the option wasn't included.

if the xm is a completely different radio, i will buy a portablw, but if it can be installed as a feature on the current radio i will have it installed.
  • rewyanc2krewyanc2k Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure this out. I am in the same position.
  • pvorwerkpvorwerk Member Posts: 9
    I've been wondering if the fidelity of XM is related to signal strength - if the soundstage gets compressed in situations with lower "bandwidth" or signal is available. When I first bought an 04 Sierra with XM I was very impressed with the sound quality. I bought a MyFi and was dissapointed with the fidelity - I attributed it to dumbed down electronics in the portble unit. I am wondering if XM has reduced its bandwith overall since 2004, because now when I go back and compare XM and FM in the Sierra the FM sounds superior. This wasn't the case when I first compared them in 2004. I have a Jeep with Sirius, but I'm unable to compare the XM to Sirius because of the two different environments. (My new '07 Yukon is on order)
  • myarboroughmyarborough Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Just bought a 2004 z71 yesterday and put two cd's in the 6 cd changer and they didn't play. I have tried to eject them and I get a message that says no disc and I cannot put any other discs in. Apparently the light to the right of the changer is supposed to blink and turn green before you can perform a function. The light never blinks. It seems it is not working at all. Anyone else have this problem? If so, can you offer some advise.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    How do you get Audio of MyFi to the vehicle audio system: via FM modulator or direct Aux audio input. Note that XM in the OEM system normally has it Analog Audio feeding directly to the radio head unit via rear radio connector. So the audio fidelity is mostly preserved.

Now if you send the XM audio signal to the head unit via a FM modulator (built-in or another module), the weakest link is this FM modulator. Even if it is perfect, you will lose some fidelity (15KHz vs. 20KHz). In addition, FM modulator route has limitations of FM tuning for car (roll off trebble and cut down on stereo separation to reduce noise) when the FM frequency you selecting is interfered by local FM stations (of same frequency is adjacent to it). This Audio - FM - Audio process adds noise and causes degradation.

Direct audio connection is again the best for Audio fidelity. For your 07 Yukon, it has the Aux audio jack. So in theory, it should be as good as your 04 system.

jt
    XM receiver on current GM vehicles is external to the radio head unit.

GM XM receiver is a remote box located in the trunk or under seat,..Most, if not all GM radios are XM compatible regarless if you opted for XM or not. So there is no difference between the head units. Even on Bose/non Bose option, there is only one head unit. Everything is connected thru. the vehicle bus (GM Lan) that tells the radio if it has the XM box or Bose amp attached to it. It will configure accordingly

The nice thing about having XM compatible head unit and GM XM receiver is XM is now part of your radio band :AM/FM/CD/MP3/XM. The head unit now can integrate XM with other modes. You can also control XM, save XM station presets, audio settings like you do AM/FM. I do not know if there is an aftermarket XM box that is compatible to GM vehicle (control functions)

You could also use your portable XM receiver. But you can only use it in the Aux mode just like you do with MP3 player (ipod) by plugging its audio cable into the Aux jack. It is again, Audio interface only. You can't control XM portable unit from your radio. Radio does not care if it is MP3 player, CD player or XM receiver. It is just an external audio source.

jt
  • pvorwerkpvorwerk Member Posts: 9
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I have a Myfi that I use on my Goldwing. I have also plugged it into a home system, and it lacks soundstage or imaging; it sounds "flat" or two dimensional. The XM in my Sierra is a factory unit. I realize that a direct connection will be superior to an FM modulator or a cassette mechanism. It's just that I have not listened to FM much since getting XM in the Sierra, and now going back it seems that the soundstage and fidelity is much higher from FM rather than XM in the Sierra. I didn't remember that when I first started listening to XM; I was very impressed at the time with the sound quality.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's a new question, of sorts, not directly satellite or otherwise related.

I know with the last gen trucks (we have an '04), the BOSE system is generally thought of as not impressive at all, and for the most part, a lot of the regular base Delco standard systems offered in '02 and earlier models even sound richer to a lot of people. Case in point, I still think our '02 Avalanche with the standard Delco pieces sounded better overall than the upgraded BOSE system in the '04 Suburban.

But I digress. Has anyone compared the stock system in a new '07 back to back with a BOSE upgraded version? Again I've heard that the BOSE is not that spectacular, but I've yet to see anyone with an LS or LT1 Chevy (or SLE GMC) model mention much about the standard non-BOSE in comparison.

Anyone able to comment on that?
  • powder73powder73 Member Posts: 15
    well i don't know about the ''not spetacular sound'' but so far i'm impress with my sub 07 bose sysytem.....before i had a toyota 4 runner sport edition and you don't know poor sounbd till you have that!!!!! And compare to my wife sienna my sub 07 bose system eat it for breakfast...so i donb't know...

I know i consider myself fussy on sound and that was the major dissapoint for me with the 4runner...

The only major bug is the ipod.....i use the monster cable that connect to the base and sometime i wich i could put the music louder!!!even at max some song aren't loud enough...when i want them loud!!!!

XM radio is the best thing that happen to me...even my wife miss it now with her van...i mean...no ads...no talking...just music....and maybe it's just mne but the sound quality getting better...before i found that the major channel (80's-90's... and top 20 etc) had crystal clear sound but other like fred underground and boneyard were less clear....to the point that i didn't listen to them anymore....but i found out recently the the sound is much better now..on par with the other channel....

:P
  • hardin_thickehardin_thicke Member Posts: 35
    "I am wondering if XM has reduced its bandwith overall since 2004, because now when I go back and compare XM and FM in the Sierra the FM sounds superior."

Bandwidth is not an issue because the the signal is a digital stream. Actually, the "channel" bandwidth is quite narrow. That's why they can fit so many in.
  • lucuella1lucuella1 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to buy a charger/adapter for my iPod for my 2007 Tahoe and found after searching in the web that the FlexibleDock charger that you mention is the best option for my needs. The problem is that I didn't find where to buy it (Circuit City, BestBuy, CompUSA, etc.) Could you please tell me where you bought it? By the way, your pictures are pretty useful on how it is installed.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    When an IPOD is hooked up to built in Tahoe Aux jack - does it also charge the IPOD?

Can you change songs with the steering wheel controls? Or use the nav screen to select a song?
  • lucuella1lucuella1 Member Posts: 2
    Charge: if you hook your iPOD using the audio cable 2x3.5mm, you can only play music. In order to charge it you need a charger (in my case I am using the Griffin Tuneflex Cradle w/line-out, part No. TM003LL/A which works great).
    Audio control: Use the audio knob of the radio or the shafts on the steering wheel. You cannot control audio using the iPOD steering wheel.
    Other features (change songs, brightness, etc): only with the steering wheel of your iPOD.
    Sound quality is great!(because it is a direct audio connection). Now I don't carry CD's and barely listen to the radio.
  • johnny4016johnny4016 Member Posts: 112
    If your still having the problem and for some reason you or someone else changed the battery or disconnected it, etc and did not read the manual and do what it says and enter the security code this could have locked up your system. I haven't had this problem so I can't help you out as far as giving you instruction on how to fix it, but the owners manual might be of use on how to reset this probelm.
    I do remember reading in the owners manual that anytime that you disconect the battery, prior to doing it your suppose to enter a security code to keep your radio/cd player, etc from locking up. I've personally never done it and I guess have lucked out because my radio never locked up on me, at least not yet. Hope that this gave you a little help.
  • jwalk85jwalk85 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Tahoe w/ Bose speakers and DVD package. Occasionaly the volume will not work. Sometimes you can turn everything off and back on and it will work and other you just have to wait and it may or may not start working. I do not know if this package came with an amplifier seperate from the radio or not. Can anyone help with this issue?
  • redmack12redmack12 Member Posts: 2
    My kids recently deposited quarters into the cd slot on my radio in 2007 Tahoe. The radio and DVD work but the CD doesn't work and there is a cd stuck inside. My kids put two quarters in the radio. I almost was able to pull them out but they fell in. I think if I just pull the radio out I can pick them out or turn the radio over and they will fall out. I need some advice to pull the radio out. I see a little hole to the bottom right but I don't know if there is a special tool or if I can use anything. Also I see Alot of talk about the trim on the dash and it breaking o being hard to get off, I want to be careful. Any help would be great!! Thanks
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The factory service manual doesn't give a whole lot of additional info. It says as a tip: Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim plate to the instrument panel. It lists a quantity of 9 retainer clips, but the picture only appears to me to show 8. There are four on each side, arranged in a vertical line, spaced equal distance down the side.
  • redmack12redmack12 Member Posts: 2
    thanks, I was able to get the trim plate around the radio off and I got the radio out by 4 screws, 3 plugs + the antenna. The radio is out and I dropped it off at a friend's shop so they can remove the quarters. However now the parking assist light comes on, on the button on the console below the temp controls and I can't get the light to shut off, the button is lit and that means that the parking rear assist is off and on the dash it says parking assist off *** service soon. I am sure somehow this happened cause I took the radio out. Any suggestions, also when I turn on the turn signal I do not hear the little click noise anymore. This is all while the radio is out. Maybe when I put it back in these things will correct themselves.
    redmack12,

New GM radios now make the "Turn Signal" sound along with Seat Belt chime. Everytime you turn on any of the related functions, the radio is told to make the sound accordingly. So when you put the original GM radio back in, you will have these functions back.

jt
    It is likely for system with Bose speakers, you would have external Bose Amplifier. In this case, either the radio head and the Amp is the suspect

One thing you could try is to reset the radio head by temporary disconnecting the battery power to it (removing/reconnecting the fuse(s)) when the radio volume disappears next time. The battery disconnection/connection gives the unit a cold start and often can fix "brain dead" problems. I used that on my GM minivan once or twice a year when its body computer hangs up and does not operate the power sliding door.

jt
  • mjaggermjagger Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering upgrading the factory BOSE system (with in-dash 6 disc changer) in my 2003 Z71. I've always been underwhelmed with the quality of its sound. I'm interested to hear about what upgrades other folks have made (equipment & placement - speakers, amps, head unit, etc), how the upgrades turned out, and any lessons learned. Thanks!
  • jbattjbatt Member Posts: 13
    Looking at installing Peripheral PXAMG unit in my '08 Tahoe. Allows control of ipod through steering wheel contol audio controls. Wanted to know if anyone has installed this and what has your experience been?
  • jbattjbatt Member Posts: 13
    does anyone know where the xm connector is located in 2008 tahoe. I've heard it may be located behind glovebox. If this is true will save me from having to take out radio to hook up ipod connection.
  • justin34justin34 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Z71 tahoe. Once in a blue moon, while listening to the radio and on smooth roads my sound will just cut out for a few senconds then come back on like nothing happen. This just occur once in a while I have the bose system with nav. system. the sound just goes out and nothing else. Has any one had this problem. if yes did you get it fixed and what was the cause?? Thanks
    Is it only the radio, or does it do it also when playing a cd, or ipod?

If it is just the radio, is it both am and fm, or any and all stations?
    only time that is has done it as the FM and like once on Ipod but only happens once in a while.
    Well as a 2008, I'd take it in for a warranty claim. The worst that they can do, is indicate no trouble found, but then you have it on record as having this problem during the warranty period. I'd try to notice whether when this happens, whether the whole radio is loosing power, or it just appears that the output gets lost. Start documenting how many times this is happening and when it happens. Intermittent problems which a dealership can't recreate, are sometimes hard to get them to fix it.

I had a little bit similar problem once years ago with a Chrysler mini-van, I took it in and they ordered a replacement radio. Never had the problem after.

Good luck.
    Thanks for that infomation (kiawah) I have notice that the radio does not loose power just the sound. I will take it in thanks
  • john_346john_346 Member Posts: 1
    I cannot stand XM radio, therefore I do not participate in the program that is installed in our 2007 Tahoe ltz. Does anyone know a of a way to remove it from the menu on the radio. I would like to rotate from "Band" directly to "CD" to "Aux" without the "XM" preview bs.
  • rv2963rv2963 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    I have a 2007 Tahoe doing the same anoying thing going from stereo to "mono". The dealer replaced the stereo 3 times, fm tuner, coax and rear window which contains the antenna. I did HOURS of research and am finding that it is most likely the rear antenna which is directional and looses reception. Mine only does this while moving not parked. The dealer told me it's a GM "glitch" and basically we all must live with it. While they had the vehicle I had a 2009 Suburban rental and it did the exact same thing. Car Toys recommended a power antenna I don'y know what to do now.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Rv2963,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your concern, so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • bob_coolbob_cool Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2008 LS and she got rear-ended last month. We just got it back from the body shop, but now the radio no longer lists the artist and song when playing FM radio stations. I'm about to go digging in the manual, but does anyone know if this could have happened when they disconnected the battery perhaps, or is there a chance that the impact caused this to malfunction? :confuse: