Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What's the best vehicle for my needs?

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Most VW's call for synthetic at 10k intervals. I think they have free service for the first 36k miles as well.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    10k? really? Wow.

My 08 Accord has a handy oil-life sensor, that tells you when your estimated oil life is 30%, 10% (ie change it), whatever. Do most new cars these days have that? Does a vw?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    I personally would not pay 30K for a TSX. The only car from Honda Motor Company for which I will pay >30K but < 40K is MDX else I will by a honda branded product not an acura branded.

As I said test deive an Infiniti G.
    Carsditect has a manual infinit G with all the doo das for 33K in 92626 zip code. A much better choice compared to TSX.

And if you want to be in 20's then sonnata seems to be a good bet

Just my 2 cents.
    check out this amazing overstocks price on a higher level infiniti:

"2010 Infiniti M35

MSRP: $46,665

Savings from MSRP: $10,414 without options"

10k off msrp! sounds like a great price on an amazing car.

But yes, maybe 30k and up is too rich for my blood. Hard to face car payments of more than 500 as far as the eye can see..

Maybe I should look back at Accord and Sonata...
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Buy a 2009 certified model. You won't pay more than 25K and it'll have maybe 10K on it if it's a program car. win-win scenario.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    The 2010 Infiniti M is cheap, because the totally re-designed 2011 is already out..

Why can't you find an A3 with a stick?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited April 2010
    kyfdx and everyone....

Thanks so much everyone for your help and advice. It's now done.

Probably could have found an A3 stick for near 30k, but after looking at a TSX for c.32k my wife sent me to studying the numbers. Yes, we could afford a car like that, but it would be a stretch, and did we really need to do that...?

In today's paper I found something different, but which met--in a way--our needs. There was an ad for a 2010 Mazda5 Sport with the 5 speed manual for $14,900--marked off c. $3800 from the pretty reasonable list price.

This was the base model, but it's fairly well equipped for what it is--alloy wheels, abs, stability, brake assist, 5 star crash rating, etc. Of course it also has an ok stereo, climate control, etc.

The dealer threw in the so called "Pro-Pack" that it had been set up with--cargo net, all weather mats, carpet mats, window tint, emergency kit, aftermarket Motorola bluetooth, etc. with a dealer list--admittedly inflated--of $1200, for free. The original dealer list of the car was $20k flat. So, if you believe in that (and I don't) we got 5k off. Still, the stuff in the pro pak is useful and nice. The emergency kit has a flashlight, reflectors, poncho, flare, tire guage, etc. It's cute.

They offered us $3800 for our 8 year old Accord with the manual and some issues. After hearing here what they might offer, I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth and just took it. Might have sold it myself for 1k more, but it would have been a hassle, and I would have pointed out every flaw and potential problem which probably would have killed the sale anyway.

Bottom line was 14.9k minus 3.8k for the trade +ttl and fees put us at 12,400. I politely refused the extended warranty several times until finally he came down to $800 for an 8 year/70,000 mi bumper to bumper, and then I decided what the heck and took it--and I threw in for him a genuine compliment on his nice tie. Everyone was happy as can be and we left all smiles and first names.

So--$13,200 was the final deal with trade for the puppy. So, not only less than 30k, or 20k, less than 15k otd with trade...!

I'll just have to keep saving and working for a real dream car of something like an Acura, Audi, or the like....Maybe the next car.

But for now, it does seem like a pretty good car for the money. And a lot of car. The thing weighs 3400lbs, can hold 6 people (if they're not big and you squeeze a bit), and with the seats folded it can hold a lot of stuff. Love the Honda Fit, but this is significantly bigger (and of course gets less mpg) and was less money than a comparable Fit.

So, the saga is over for me.

Again, many thanks to all for your thoughts. The helpful tips and positive spirit really helped. As did my 8 year old daughter who was there for the whole 3 hour buying process advising me and boosting my spirits. She likes the new car. As does the wife...

Sorry this is so long. I'll shut up now.
    Sounds like a good deal. I had a Mazda5 rental just a week or so ago but honestly never imagined they came with a manual. I wasn't sure if it was a mini-mini van or a hatchback...but I reserved a mid-size and that's what I got. A lot better than the "mid-size" Corolla I received awhile back!

To answer your oil-change questions...Honda and GM are the only non-luxury brands I'm aware of that use the oil maintenance minder. GM actually "invented" it and I believe 1999 was the first year it was put in use. Honda uses the same technology and we also have that in our '05 Odyssey. I did an oil analysis on the Honda at 20% (about 5,500 miles for us) and the oil was in very good shape so I have no reason to question the system.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, it's a lot bigger than a Corolla, that's for sure. Weird car for me still, because like you I keep going back in forth between thinking it's a really small minivan or a really big compact wagon. It's both and neither, I guess. The strange size may be one reason why it doesn't sell that well.

It doesn't seem to have an oil monitor. Too bad. I like that feature on my Honda. And it's good to hear your oil analysis confirmed that the thing works well and cautiously.

Mazda seems to throw in 2 years of maintenance on its cars. Or maybe it was just the dealer? Anyway, they've already scheduled our first free oil change for 3 months from now. Good deal.

Our Mazda5 came with aftermarket tinted windows. They seem a bit dark to me. I guess I'd rather not have tints like that. The dealer assured me the tints could be removed and that if we wanted that they'd do that for free. But how would they do that? Do they put a chemical on it or something? Does that work well? Are there downsides to removing tints? Maybe we'll get used to it...
    Aftermarket tint is just a stick-on film and can come off fairly easily. Most wagon-ish/suv/minivan vehicles have dark rear windows. When it comes from the factory, it's built into the glass and is not a film. I usually add aftermarket tint to the front side windows on my vehicles so they match the rears. I like the reduction in sun as well as privacy, but it does cut down on some night vision...usually just when using side mirrors to back up. As a plus though, it does cut down some of the glare from vehicles behind you. If it bothers you, I'd say take it off the front side windows first.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Contratulation
    Mazdas are very good and I am sire it will be a keeper for you
    Didnt know it came in manual.

Sanjay
    Thanks Sanjay--yes, it is very weird--a mini, minivan that comes with a manual. And the shifter is mounted on the dash. Shifts very smoothly, however, almost as nice as the Acura I drove. Good pickup, for the size, although 0-60 is probably about 9.5, which is fairly sluggish. When I was a kid I learned to drive on a 1969 VW van manual--and that took about 20 seconds--no kidding--to get to 60. This is fast in comparison.

It's got fully independent multi-link rear suspension....but I know it's a long way from anything like an infiniti
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    congrats! enjoy! I love ours.

What color did you get?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"Predicted reliability." LOL!!

And I love that the CC is much better than average and it is the same exact vehicle as the Passat (except for the sheet metal), which is only average.

Good example of why I find CR to be completely useless garbage.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Maybe the Passat has a lot of sheet metal problems :P

I agree though, I've had several of CR's blackballed vehicles that were terrific. Generally though, almost all of my vehicles have been reliable which IMHO is the norm these days. But these companies have to keep themselves relevant so regardless of the delta....one is going to be better than the other I suppose.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Wow. Faster than a 69 VW van. Talk about damning with faint praise..... :D

The slowest vehicle I ever remember driving - even slower than my 69 Volvo - was a 63 bug. We'd get passed by pedestrians.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited April 2010
    gbrozen: You've got one!? Cool. Ours is metallic silver. Nice. Sleek. I like the style of it. What color is yours? What trim level? Do you have the leather? Bet that's nice. Our seats are plain cloth, but comfy enough and functional.

As you know, you can fold the two rows of seats flat the create a pretty nice cargo space. Our kids were thrilled when they saw this, and had us leave them in there as a kids play room for a while.

I think the acceleration is fine. Maybe with all the people and their luggage its sluggish, but it's peppy enough, esp. with the manual. Just keep it third and floor it and you have plenty of power for getting on the expressway.

Do you have any accessories gbrozen? Today I just bought (but have not yet had installed) a mazda roof rack, bike rack, and 15 cu foot lockable luggage box....With those things you should be able to take 6 people and their stuff without much problem...
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry to say it, but I think your 63 bug would have passed our 69 bus with ease. They had almost the same engine, but the bus weighed about a thousand pounds more. Imagine what that was like, if you can. I know it's true, because we had a 66 bug too, and it seemed fast to me! The shifter on the vw bus was a c. two foot long metal rod with a knob at the end. Imagine that too. And the clutch was tricky to engage on the bus. I can't believe how much I loved that car given what a nightmare it was in a way....Almost killed us too, but that's another story. Let's just say I look at the rollover ratings on cars, and I'm glad the Mazda5 gets 4 stars out of 5. I'd say the VW Bus from 69 was 1 star, if that...
    edited April 2010
    It happened that the Mazda dealer where I got our little whatchamacallit5 is combined with not only a Subaru but also VW dealer. While they were spending a long time working on my paperwork, I got to sit in the back seat of the CC. It sure cooled me on that car. I'm not that tall--5 10"--and my head hit the ceiling when I was sitting up straight. Neat looking, but just not that practical or comfortable unless you're pretty short....Bet it's a dream to drive though with that turbo engine and a manual.
    Yup. As a matter of fact, I just suggested one to someone on this board a couple of weeks ago.

Thought maybe you read that and took it to heart. ;)

Ours is black. Not our first choice, but it was a used 2009 model we bought back in October. It is a Sport. Sounds like you paid for a new one about what we paid for the used one, to be honest. We did get them to install a moonroof for the price, though. Oh, and ours is an auto, so there's that, too.

As you'll see in that previous post I linked, I have NO problem with power in this car. Although, if it were a stick, I could see getting caught in the wrong gear. I do find the gears spaced pretty far apart, so you have to wind it out to make it move. Especially 1st to 2nd. If you shift too quick (when I'm using manual mode), its like the torque just dropped off a cliff.

The only Mazda accessory I got is the rear bumper protector. For aftermarket stuff, I've installed DVD with twin headrest monitors, iPod interface, and Sirius radio. I also have a set of black/chrome wheels sitting in the wings waiting for me to get motivated and buy new tires.

edited April 2010
    gbrozen wrote:

"Yup. As a matter of fact, I just suggested one to someone on this board a couple of weeks ago.

Thought maybe you read that and took it to heart..."

Yes, you wrote that just before my first post here. I think I did take it to heart, but just not on a fully conscious level. I'd actually been looking over the few Mazda5s I've come across for a few years now. About 6 months ago I saw one our Kroger parking lot, and I thought something like, wow, that's a nice wagon. Weird, but nice. Then I read your post, but didn't fully absorb it somehow, and went off in the direction of Acura, Audi, mini, etc. But right after my wife brought me back to earth I saw that ad for a 5 for 14.9, and thought that it was a really low price. I was even thinking I might be able to live with an auto for that price, but when I looked it up on the dealer's web page I found out it was a manual. A few checks around showed that the 5 was recommended by some publications, including Edmunds, and so I gave it a look and we got it. But I bet your suggestion to someone else is a big part of what planted it in my mind...So--thanks!
    Where did you pick your up. Q? Mazda dealer?

Since my convertible doesn't convert anymore I am toying with the market again. I may still get teh top fixed. We'll see.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    haha. I WAS just kidding. :)
    But thanks for the thanks.

Yup, yup. The Mazda dealer in Shrewsbury.

The Celica doesn't convert? What's wrong? Is that a power top? Is that just an electric motor or one of them there hi-drawl-ick doohickeys?

Oh, thought you had heard this one. A couple of weeks ago the top was giving me difficulty. I look and there's a good sized tear in the canvas. I figure I'm out that. Well, it turns out that the roof frame broke up front which is what cause it to rip through the roof. The tear in manageable. With matching duct tape it doesn't leak at all but i would have to replace the entire roof frame and, of course, put a new top on it.

Am hoping someone will give me something to make it go away and getting something to replace it. What a shame Toyota never made manual Solaras.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    It is hard to find anything with a manual top these days, other than a Miata.
    This one is actually a power top though there's a switch in teh trunk to change it to manual.
    Remind me. Is that an auto trans?
    How big is the backseat in that thing? ;)

It's an auto trans, sigh. The backseat is pretty much strictly a place for kids. They are lucky that I am short.
    So far I really like this car....It does have a bit of a blind spot on the driver's side, which is unfortunate. If they'd made that last window just a couple of inches longer, which I think would have been possible by thinning out the very thick last pillar on the vehicle, that would have been eliminated.

gbrozen: have you gotten used to that blind spot? I guess if you look carefully there's no way a car could hide there without you knowing it...
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are referring to. To be honest, ever since subscribing to the "no overlap in the mirrors" method, I have no blindspots.

It took me a long time to figure out what people were referring to with this method because I had a very hard time finding a clear explanation. For example, this one on cartalk makes no sense to me. How far you lean will depend completely on the size of the car, the size of the person, etc, etc. It is inexact.

Here is my explanation, which was easily understood by my wife, so it MUST be easy for everyone. (LOL. yeah, yeah, boo hiss)

It is simple. For safety, do this while not moving. Set the rearview. Then, while looking at each sideview, set them so they are picking up the scenery right where the rearview ends.

In other words, when a car is coming up on your right, at one point, the car's left headlight will be in the far right of your rearview while its right headlight is in the far left of your sideview. This way, there is never a time a car is NOT in a mirror until it is right next to you, easily visible out your front side windows.

It takes a little getting used to, but after just a few miles of this on a highway, you'll wonder why you never had them set this way before.

Ah, you hit on one of my fussy points.

I'm a nut on mirrors. I will grant that not having much of a functioning left eye adds to it but, yeah, you ought to be able to completely trust your mirrors to see all around the car. Driving a convertible makes it a little trickier. Sharing a vehicle makes it nuts. Maybe I need to look more at that Volvo with memory for 3 drivers....
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I don't know about your "scenery" method, I think that would mean the mirror settings would depend on how distant the scenery you are focusing on is? The distant scenery should have overlap.

Whatever method you use, you can check if they are properly adjusted by looking in your mirrors and seeing if you can always see a car in one mirror or another as it is passing you, as the pictures here demonstrate: http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

I like the way this one shows correct, too wide, and too narrow:
    http://www.smartmotorist.com/car-accessories-fuel-and-maintenance/adjusting-your- -mirrors-correctly.html

My thought is the reason for the head leaning method is there may be times you will want to be able to see the side of your car and to do that you can just lean your head. I do this when backing around cars in my driveway just about every day.
    Thanks! Great explanation. I read it to my wife (minus the top part... :shades: ).

We're going to try it out...
    Actually this is the way that they were designed to be used. Somewhere along the line too many idiots decided to use them as parking helpers instead of their original purpose. With predictable results.
  • bex8400bex8400 Member Posts: 1
    I want a Jeep Wrangler....wife wants kids....We have 2 sedans now. One is 13 yrs old But has only 70k on it..Kicking the Idea of getting me a vehicle I actually want...I am a mechanic and think new car prices and paments are not worth it...I need reminded of a fun yet practical make/model..prefferably 4x4 for weather and beach/ lite towing
    Get a previous generation Tacoma. It's worlds better in terms of reliability compared to a Wrangler, and just as good off-road. Plenty of aftermarket parts and accessories as well. If you go off-roading, most everything now is Toyota or Jeep. The Tacoma is more likely to be approved by the wife, though, since it's fairly car-like and modern inside. The NEW Wrangler is nice and all, and is decently livable with a family, but it's at least 5K more than a used Tacoma, since you'd have to get a 2007 or newer one.

The last year for the older, better (for off-road use) model was in 2004, which is also the sweet spot in terms of used prices. They also don't have any of the parts involved in the Toyota recalls.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=275199809
    This is a typical example. It's big, safe, and has plenty of space for kids. Just get some sliders and an internal roll cage put in and you're good to go.
  • shaunpgshaunpg Member Posts: 3
    I recently started a new job and need to purchase a used vehicle in the 10k-15k range that will fit my commute. I travel 40 miles on freeways, followed by 2 miles on rough truck trails to get to a job site (each way.) I need a good balance of highway comfort, gas mileage, and off-road capability. I won't be hauling anything except people, so a full-size pickup or suv seems like overkill.

What's my best bet given these restraints?
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Subaru Forester, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota Rav4, Honda Crv. All those have 4cyl engine for good MPG, they come with AWD for light off road. They sit 5 in good comfort. And all have above average reliability.
    I know it sounds a little broken-record-ish, but a small truck like a Tacoma/Nissan/Dodge/etc with a 4 cylinder engine is also a good thing to consider. Most also come with 4x4 which is a good thing to have if you are dealing with dirt roads when it rains or snows at various times throughout the year.(or if for no other reason than to pull your co-workers out of the mud)
    Couple questions: How rough are these "roads" and how many people will you need to haul? I like the Subaru idea assuming the roads aren't horrible. The AWD system in the Subes is better than most of the other AWD choices out there. I would go that route before a CRV, RAV4, etc.

The 4cyl pickup idea is ok, but you're only going to get a reg cab with that engine and that's miserable in my book, even without passengers. Could be an option though.

I have similar needs. I drive about 30 miles on two-lane state routes, and then sometimes have to go back into mining/quarry roads that are very rough. Most drive real trucks or SUV's (with frames) otherwise they get destoryed quickly. I went with a Pathfinder this time (had a Tundra before) and overall it works out great. I average about 20mpg which isn't bad in my book, but if you want to do better you'll have to go with something more car-based.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Yes, that is broken record-ish. What part of "good on gas mileage" and "highway comfort" did that poster miss? I second the first posters ideas: go with the Subaru, RAV-4 or CRV. You do want the 40-plus miles to be a comfortable ride-- it's a much longer part of your commute.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Absolutely right. Outlander and Forester have more "personality" and soul. And sportier handling. Rav4 and CR-V are more soulless and boring to drive BUT impressive as well. And all 4 have available AWD, 4Cyl engines (good MPG's) and all 4 have ABOVE average reliability. Small pick ups available these days like Nissan Frontier 4cyl give 17/22 and 4x4 is only avail with V6. Or a Tacoma also like Frontier is 17/22 but is avail 4x4 with the 4cyl engine. But none of those 2 are a good option for someone doing alot of highway driving. The only thing left to see is how "Rough" are those roads to get to work once you're out of the highway.
    Definitely a subie. As someone else stated, the AWD system is superior to most other systems out there. Not to mention, the ground clearance of the Forester, for instance, is greater than most other compact SUVs, too.

• shaunpgshaunpg Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into the Forester. The trails won't be too rough when dry, but there are enough ruts and rocks that bringing in my 03 Civic Coupe is out of the question. A small SUV should provide enough ground clearance to get around out there without taking damage.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would also recommend some sort of Subaru as well along with the Mitsubishi Outlander.

If you are willing to look older, I would recommend the previous generation Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX4. They seem to be pretty refined yet also pretty tough off road.

A Toyota 4Runner of some sort might also be an option, but I'm not sure how well they ride as they seem to be less refined than the Pathfinder/QX4 duo.
    edited May 2010
    Actually, the previous generation 4Runners are by far the best off-road SUV out there. My friend has one and side by side it beat(if barely) his fully-built Wrangler. He took both out and ran them around in the California Desert(serious stuff near the Mexico border). He sold the Wrangler. Modern technology just simply beat the competition's 30+ year old design.

The big downside is that the fuel economy, even with the V6, is terrible. But it is the best SUV currently made in terms of how it drives on the road and off the road.

That said, almost nothing with 4wd will get better than about 25mpg. A Tacoma 4x4 or say, an Isuzu or Mitsubishi or similar small 4x4 truck with a 4 cylinder engine might just get 25mpg, but not much more. That's why I recommended it. And the majority of them are almost the size of a full-size pickup from 20 years ago now. So they fare very well in terms of interior space, comfort, and most of all, crash-tests. Certainly nothing like the little nasty trucks of the late 90s.(GM aside - the Canyon is still a tiny piece of junk that a Tacoma towers over)

Note - there is another possible option that is overlooked, and that is the Jeep Patriot. It's rated at 27 highway and actually can get 30 on long highway drives. But check this review - it actually can handle off-roading:

http://www.expeditionwest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm

It's the only thing that I can think of that will be good for commuting, get almost 30 mpg, and actually can do well off-road. Why? because it has a part-time 4x4 system, so it's 2wd most of the time. But unlike 95% of the small SUV competition, it's not an active 4x4(AWD) type system. That is, it doesn't try to out-think you or do its own thing. Unless you select it and manually lock the system into 4x4 mode. Then it stays there just like a real 4x4 or say, a Subaru(all wheels are always receiving power).

note - IIRC, the Rav-4 also has a locking transfer case option on one model. Without this, it's pretty much useless off-road.
  • faisalrsfaisalrs Member Posts: 1
    So I have 4 grown up kids and sometimes we all go places together also but most often there's only 4-5 of us in one car. I currently am leasing an Explorer that can fit 7 and my Wife has a Civic. I live in DC area so there's Snow to contend with also. Lease on my Explorer is up soon and I am at a crossroads.

Should I buy a Large SUV that will comfortably fit 7 (Sequoia, Expedition etc) or a Sedan (Accord, Altima etc) and a Mini Van (older model) for those occassional times when all of us need to go somewhere? I personally like SUVs and have a relatively short commute so Gas prices are not a barrier. I am consdering used vehicles.

Suggestions?
    edited January 2011
    I'd actually get a single full sized sedan. Most can get 25-30mpg highway and can fit 5 people nicely. Since 95% of the time, you'll be using it with 1-2 people in it, it's best to get something that has proper road manners and decent fuel economy.

Now, which one, that's a harder question. I personally loathe front wheel drive, but you might not care. That said, you can get CPO large sedans for pennies on the dollar lately.(same with used large SUVs). If you must have cargo space, get a wagon.

The best wagon in terms of CPO price and performance is the CTS. Everything else is bland(Volvo/etc), uninspiring(Flex), too small(TSX/etc), or has terrible reliability(BMW/Audi/etc). It's fantastic as a daily driver. The only ones that are close to it are the Mercedes and BMW wagons, but they will eat you alive in repairs and upkeep. The rest are simply boxes made for 4 people plus some cargo.

Large sedans, though, are easier to shop - I just thought that I'd get the one decent wagon out of the way. :)

My short list would be:
    - Any of the larger Cadillac or Buick sedans. Get the largest engine you can, though - a V6 is NG with a car this heavy. I especially like the Lucerne CXS(V8). Reminded my of a Mercedes S420 from the late 90s, which is amazing for GM to pull off. The Cadillac DTS is under-appreciated but depreciates quickly. Yet, it's a nice vehicle. The new STS is even better.

- The Ford Taurus or a Mercury Grand Marquis - Big cars are really nice. The trunk space is immense in both. The Marquis has the same trunk space as the cargo area of a Fit(!). But sure to get one that hasn't been used in a fleet/as a taxi/limo/etc. This is only 5-10% of the entire sales, so you might have to search a bit, though it's well worth it, IMO.

- Lexus ES/GS/Acura TL. These are also nice, but you might be looking at 5+ years old for something that's affordable. A bit un-inspiring. Also consider the Toyota Avalon, though it's as bland as white undies.

- Infiniti M35. It's big, it's luxurious. It's the most reliable luxury sedan currently, slightly beating out Lexus. But CPO, there's a huge difference in price. Like the Volvo S80, it's off of most people's radar, so it can be a great deal a couple of years used.

- Hyundai also makes a nice full-size sedan. It didn't drive better than most of the others, though - just inexpensive and decent enough.(reminded me of the Lexus, honestly - a bit plain and needing some more soul.

My top CPO picks out of that are the CTS/STS and the Lucerne (V8). Second place goes to the Grand Marquis as you can get one 1-2 years old for about 20K. I'm driving one now as a daily driver and even at 11 years old, everything still works. It's essentially as tough as a SUV. Repairs are half the cost of most other vehicles as well.
    It's pretty hard to justify two vehicles from a cost standpoint even if you drive tons of miles. Do you really need to go for the larger size SUV? I assume you've gotten along ok with your Explorer? There are similar options that are better these days...new Explorer & GMC Acadia have reasonable 6-7 passenger seating. Not for a long trip or anything...but again they would be as good/better than your current Explorer. The Sequoia, Expedition, Tahoe crowd is a little more comfy but you also move into the less agile, more thirsty group that may just be excess. IMHO you can either get by with an Explorer size or you need a true 7-pax vehicle like a minivan or a Suburban. Those actually have room for 7-pax + luggage.