Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• kc1976kc1976 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Kyfdx

The in service date was July 05.

My bad. I actually went to see the car one more time today. It does have 17" wheels! Yes, it has the sport seats!

The trade in value in KBB and Edmunds are at least $24K. I suspect the black book whole sale value is roughly $21K-$22K. And the dealership throws in CPO, 4 new tires and some recondition work, which cost about $2K. So I guess dealer can roughly earn $500-$1500 over the deal.

If I can get the financing on time, I'll take it tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback!

KC
  • windforceuswindforceus Member Posts: 5
    Hi people

I want to know BMW 2004 328 4DR Seden, 60000 miles Maintainese Cost If i bring the car to BMW dealer or Private body shop.
    For example.
    1 .Oil Change
    2. Replace tire and Tire Rotation (Do i have to use the tire from BMW dealer and how many miles i suppose to replace the tire?)
    3. Transmission Fluid
    4. Engine Cooltant
    5. Replace Spark Plug
    6. Replace brake Pad
    7. Replace brake
    8. Inspection
    9. Replace Head Light
    I heard after 5 years, BMW used car starts having small problems specially the electronic systems which is true?

I appreciate for anyone's help.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A 2004 328i? Sorry, doesn't exist, at least not here in the States anyway.
    My Mistake. i mean to say BMW 2004 325i. It is a typo. I apologize
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I want to know BMW 2004 328 4DR Sedan, 60000 miles Maintainese Cost If i bring the car to BMW dealer or Private body shop.

First off, if you haven't purchased the car yet, I would strongly advise you to have it inspected by a qualified BMW tech. Not much goes wrong on the newer 3 Series, but you still want to buy a good one.

Now for your questions regarding costs. In most cases, the best way to keep maintenance costs reasonable is to find a GOOD independent BMW tech; you will save 25%-50% on service compared to the dealer. I also advise joining the BMW Car Club of America, since many independents and dealers offer 10%-20% discounts on parts and/or labor. All modern BMWs use a Service Interval Indicator to inform the driver when routine maintenance is required. On a 2004 325i an oil change will be called for at @15,000 mile intervals. A minor service(Inspection I) will come up at 30,000 miles and a major (Inspection II) service at 60,000 miles. I perform an "extra" oil change at 7,500 miles in my driveway. An oil change using synthetic oil will cost $60-$100, an Inspection I $150-$300, and an Inspection II $450-$800. Coolant must be changed every three years-using BMW Coolant ONLY, while the DOT4 brake fluid should get flushed every two years. I assume the car has an automatic? If so, in the newer cars I change the so-called "Lifetime" ATF fluid and final drive oil every 100,000 miles. Note that my mileage and cost numbers are approximate. For example, if you change the oil yourself using a BMW filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 or BMW 5W-30 synthetic the cost will be under $45. On the other hand, my local BMW dealer charges very reasonable rates for some of the services that I don't have the time and/or desire to perform. The dealer only charged me $110 to change the ATF AND the synthetic final drive oil on my wife's 5 Series, and they changed the coolant and the brake fluid on my 3er for just $143. Your car uses a more exotic ATF, so expect to pay $250-$450 more for the ATF service.

As for tires, you best bet is Tire Rack. I have their tires shipped to one of their recommended installers who charges $10 per tire to mount and balance.

I heard after 5 years, BMW used car starts having small problems specially the electronic systems which is true?

In my experience, the common problems for 3 Series cars of that vintage are not that numerous. The water pump and radiator can be expected to need replacement at 60K-100K intervals. The power window regulators can be failure prone, but replacement is fairly simple- a DIY if you have a few tools. Otherwise, the E46(1999-2005) 3 Series cars have proven to be very durable. So much for the internet myth of unreliable BMWs. I have a 1995 318ti with over 112,000 miles on it and the only electrical items I've replaced are a couple of tail light bulbs and a brake light switch.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Great Info ! I appreciate It!

Sorry for my questions. I am educating myself since i really plan to get a BMW later.

My Case:
    My friend is selling his 2004 BMW 325 AT for 20K but i am thinking to just get a new basic 2007/2008 BMW 328 to avoid those maintainse cost. I dont mind the 12K difference and i know BMW has 4 year free maintainese plan which sounds good. I am just worried how much i should spend on repair and maintainese after 4 years. (I plan to keep the car for 8-9 years). My prediction is driving 12K-15K miles per year and i am not a speeding driver.

Question 1:
    To make it simple, from my case, if i get a new 328, after 4 years, how much i should expect to maintain/repair the car if i joined the club? I know a IS 350 is about $500 per year for maintainese + repair after 4-5 years and Acura TL is about 400$ as well but i can't find accurate number for BMW 325/328. From what you mentioned above, i come out the number as $473 - $600 every year after 4 year usage and assume nothing breaks and just regular maintainese and replace tires and brake pads. Is that close to what you guys are paying right now?

Also, is 2007/2008 328 approved to be reliable yet? Is there any big recall going? I am going to be better off with 2005 325/330 model seems it has been tested by more users?

Thanks!!
    From what you mentioned above, i come out the number as $473 - $600 every year after 4 year usage and assume nothing breaks and just regular maintainese and replace tires and brake pads. Is that close to what you guys are paying right now?

Pretty close; some years will cost more than others, but it should average out.

Also, is 2007/2008 328 approved to be reliable yet? Is there any big recall going? I am going to be better off with 2005 325/330 model seems it has been tested by more users?

Well, it's still a bit early to determine the long-term reliability of the current 3 Series. I don't expect it to be horrible, but that's just a guess on my part.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• starbuxxstarbuxx Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the market for a previously owned BMW. I like the 2005 325i and have found alot on Craigslist. The one I am interested in has 25,000 miles and has all the features and color that I want. The price is $20,500. The seller is an independent car dealer who gets his cars from BMW finance dept. He is going to fax me the carfax report and there will be one year left on the maintenance warranty. I would prefer to buy a CPO from a dealer but the prices I'm finding are over $25,000. Here are my questions:

1) Should I stay away from Craigslist and only deal with a BMW dealer?
    2) If I go ahead with this, is there any reason why BMW wouldn't honor the maintenance warranty? (i.e., the car was not serviced by a BMW dealer)
    3) Would you have the car inspected by a dealer even though there is a maintenance warranty?
    4) If I call a local BMW dealer with the VIN number would they share the maintenance history?

My one friend feels that if the warranty is in place I don't need to have it inspected since everything would be covered.

Thanks for any feedback - it is greatly appreciated.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I would definitely have the car inspected - mostly to ensure it hasn't been involved in an accident.

It sounds like a nice car at a somewhat too good to be true price. If the car is sound, it's a heck of a deal, but the price is cause for some caution.

Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Definitely have it inspected like others have suggested here. CARFAX does NOT....repeat....does NOT....show all accidents, even major ones. This car could be fine, a great deal, or it could have been smacked up 5 times.

Other than prior collision damage, there's really not too much that could be wrong at this low mileage, but you should look for signs of abuse, including smoke-smell, undercarriage damage, manipulation of the VIN tags, or the use of mickey-mouse parts, such as cheap tires, cheap oil filters, etc.---always a bad sign on a BMW.
    I ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006 with moderate damage. It doesn't give specifics but does say it was front impact. Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected. My Honda was hit from behind two years ago and I have $5000 damage and it continues to run fine. There was no structural damage. I reported this to the police and reviewed my own carfax report and it doesn't even show up as being reported.
    Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected.

I'd move on; a hit reduces the value of the car by 10%-20%. Who knows if the repair work was performed to BMW standards? Why settle for a car that's been hit when you can probably find 30-50 other E46 3ers for sale within 100 miles of your home?

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    " ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006"

I suspected as much...

Move on.
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the feedback and will move on.
    Yeah, this is a plentiful car, so there's no reason to compromise.
  • cszhangcszhang Member Posts: 1
    Has a premium package ( sunroof ) on it. The delears refuse to bring one more cents down from the sticker. That's their special. I do'nt know whether I shall wait untill 31 to knock them dead ( or maybe not), or not.
    There is another one with no premium package, same price, but only has 16000 miles one it. Any suggestions? Which one I should go with and whether there is potential to bring the price down more?
  • ipitythefooipitythefoo Member Posts: 1
    I came across a 2004 330ci coupe 45k mi for 23k that I'm interested in. It has sports package, premium package and 18" chrome rims (ick) which I would probably make the dealer switch out.

The original warranty has run out which which means I CANNOT get the extended maintenance plan....What do you think of the price? It definitely needs to be a bit lower, but how much lower...I don't know. I'd appreciate any opinions.

FYI this is from a Lexus dealer.
  • smartguy06smartguy06 Member Posts: 1
    06 325i with 10k miles for 30k . The car has sunroof, heated seats , auto . It doesn't had sports package, xenon.

Is this a good deal ?, how hard is to install bluetooth for the phone in this model.
  • bigpapibigpapi Member Posts: 10
    It definitely should be lower. I just bought my first bmw a few weeks ago which is similar to the one you're looking at:

2005 330ci coupe
    15K miles
    Black exterior, black interior
    sports package (comes with 17's)
    premium package
    cold weather package
    bluetooth
    sirius satellite
    xenon headlights
    certified pre-owned

Price: $28K

good luck!
  • uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    2005 325xi - 23,991 miles.. Lease return.

Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Sunroof
    1 year and 25,000 miles left on Factory Warranty
    $25,700
    Gray with Gray leather interior.
    It's not CPO.
    It's being sold at a BMW dealership.

Good price? What should I do feel good about the maintenance history of the car?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Seems like that would be a perfect candidate for CPO, which makes me wonder why it isn't..

Make them show you the vehicle history report... Due to new BMW NA rules, they may not want to give you a copy, but they should let you see it.

The price would be decent as a CPO, but I'm not loving it, otherwise..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sky11sky11 Member Posts: 7
    Have been hearing a few grumblings about ZHP and vanos problems. Anyone have a definitive as to if the problem is wide spread? Should the ZHP be avoided because of this problem?
  • uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    Thank you, kyfdx.

It seemed strange to me that it wasn't a CPO. Is there a price in which you would think it's a good deal? What in the history report would be a red flag?

Thanks so much!
  • sailinalongsailinalong Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just purchased a pristine 04 325ci convertible with 32k from Carmax for 25k New Years Eve. Drove it less than 24 hours/100 miles and the Service Engine light came on New Years Day. Knowing I had 5 days to return it to Carmax, I thought it would have it inspected by my local BMW dealer as it has 10 months left on warrenty and could get the service history before panicing and returning it to Carmax. It could have been a gas cap or something minor.I took it in first thing next morning and while I was inside waiting for a service advisor, another customer with the service foreman on a test drive backed into my 36 hour old car causing $800 damage.The customer accepted all responsibility agreed to pay out of pocket for body repair and my rental car went on his credit card.I got his information and he 's been very cooperative .The body shop said it would take 6 days for repairs.The service department has yet to isolate the unmetered air causing the engine light fault and will have to break it down to find the cause. I can't take it back wrecked to Carmax .I lose the 5 day grace because of body work .The check engine light may be an indicator of things to come. and I would have returned it otherwise. I have not contacted an attorney but accepted the rental car from the customer, and have asked service to locate the sourse of the fault before addressing the damage. What kind of diminshed value do I have for replacing the hood, done by BMW?Is the Service Engine Light fault code hunt an indicator of things to come? Should I sue, take it back to Carmax , accept a repaired car????? I am shattered.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    ouch. This is a tough spot. Well, good thing is that it is under warranty and still under the 4 year included service from BMW. So I would think that whatever the problem is should be covered, in which case I wouldn't be so worried about returning it, personally. But it is your own call, of course.

The damage is a problem, though. I don't know where you live or your DV laws, but it is something to look into.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Only $800 damage? I wouldn't worry about it. Take a photo of the damage for your records. This won't show up on CARFAX, and since the damage is so minor, I don't think DV will be an issue for you.

I don't think you are getting a hood replaced for $800. They are going to repaint yours I would guess.

Now having SAID all that----my two cents about DV not being a factor depends on the body shop doing an excellent shop. If the hood ends up a different color, then you have ANOTHER KIND of DV, called 'repair-related".

But I don't think you have any "inherent" DV, that is, loss of value just because the car was damaged. Reason? Damage not severe enough to matter to a buyer.

If you really like the car, don't let buyer's remorse throw you.
    Damage not severe enough to matter to a buyer.

yeah, right. Tell that to the used car manager when you try to trade the car in 5 years. They WILL deduct for it, regardless of what carfax shows. And you know as well as I do that no shop can replicate the factory paint job, AND there is no way to get it to age the same as the rest of the car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

How is the used car manager going to know about it? You mean you are going to reveal an undetectable $800 repair done 5 years ago at trade in time? Well, okayyyyyyy........

Many NEW cars are delivered with prior body damage that customers never knew about and never WILL know about.

A good paint shop can paint a car as good as the factory, at least cosmetically, but not every paint shop can, I agree with you there.

So if an $800 repair job looks good, I don't see any DV here. It's too minor.
    How is the used car manager going to know about it?

I thought you would know this. huh.
    well, ask any pro here on edmunds. they can supposedly spot paintwork a mile away, regardless of how good. At least that's what Terry always said, and I believe Bill, too.
    and, really, logic would dictate a car painted at the factory 10 years ago will not look the same as a panel on that car painted 7 years ago. its just the laws of decomposition.

Well they can spot any BAD paintwork, yes, I agree. But I'm talking about professionally done paintwork. I find the work of the best shops virtually undetectable.

I mean, if it were undetectable, how would Terry have known it was re-painted? ;)

Sure if you give your BMW over to the insurance company's "choice" for a paint shop (dare we say based on the good deal they get?) then you're asking for it.

I rather admire craftmanship and excellence so I'm here to defend it as still a possibility in the American skill set.

But I agree, it isn't something any shop can do right.
    I mean, if it were undetectable, how would Terry have known it was re-painted?

I really don't know. But, unless I am mistaken, I believe he believes there is no such thing as undetectable.

A mighty boast! Perhaps a better man than I.....
    Some dealers have a device that measures paint thickness, and can tell if a panel has been repainted. That said, we had to replace the LF fender on my wifes 3er(due to an errant minivan) and when we traded it on her E39 the dealer gave us $1K over auction value.

Well if the dealer needs an electronic device to tell if it's been repainted, the customer coming onto the lot is not going to bring his I don't think, so that whole exercise borders on the pointless I think.

On the other hand, if the dealer spots something right off visually, so will the customer, or so will the person YOU sell it to.

But anyone trying to chisel me down on the price by going over the car with headphones and an x-ray machine can go take a leap. :shades:
  • zico97zico97 Member Posts: 6
    Arctic exterior with tan interior, sports package, premium package, bluetooth,sirius satellite, xenon headlights and navigation. 21,000 miles-private party is asking $31,000.00. Checked Edmunds and KBB and this seems like a decent deal.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...

Excuse my ignorance with this question, but is it possible to purchase an extended maintenance plan with a CPO 3 series machine, post '04 or '05 vintage? :confuse:

I've considered purchasing a new Bimmer, but I believe it would be smarter in the long run to purchase pre owned, Certified definitely, and I want to be covered by their maintenance free program with no cash out of pocket for the machine's maintenance whenever needed. Speaking for myself, this maintenance plan they have is a deal maker. :)

Please inform. I sure would appreciate it!

Many thanx...

Peace<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • spectzixspectzix Member Posts: 1
    I am considering between a 05 and 06 325i
    I know one is E90 and the other is E46

My question would be if I were to buy it now and sell it within 1.5 years, which one would cost me less financially?

It would be more expensive to buy 06 model but easier to sell and sold at a higher price. But depreciation is less on the 05 one? Higher insurance on 06 car? Free maintenance for both since I would get them under warranted. More expensive to repair e90 if accident happens?

Please share your inputs. Thanks
  • mb2232mb2232 Member Posts: 1
    Need some assistance. Looking to purchase a 2006 CPO 325i with low (less than 10k) miles. Realistically, what should I pay?

Seems that there are alot of these sitting on dealer lots. Have seen list prices ranging from 31k to 27k.

Is 26k a reasonable offer for a 325i, 6k miles and premium package?
    thanks
  • nickb81nickb81 Member Posts: 39
    I have negotiated a deal on a 2006 328i and I am wondering if it is a solid deal. The car has 39000 miles and is CPO. Options include Prem Pkg, Nav, Sirius, Auto, Xenon and a few less important options that I cannot remember. The negotiated price is $24,707. Taking that, rolling $2,500 negative equity into the deal, nothing out of pocket. 60 months at 4.49% the payment is $549. I think this is an awesome deal, but just want some additional input.

Thanks in Advance~
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ummm, I didn't know that BMW even built a 328i in 2006. :confuse:

Are you looking at a 2006 325i or a 2007 328i?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nickb81nickb81 Member Posts: 39
    Sorry...I have been looking for so long, I get all of the engines and years confused. It is a 325i. Thanks for the correction!
  • nygxdrivernygxdriver Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone kow anything about leasing a CPO 2007 328xi? I found at a local dealer an 07 328xi 12,000 miles that i would prefer to lease over buy. the cost is $31,995. I want to lease it over 3 years (all covered by the BMW free maintenance) I would pay taxes (i live in Nassau county, NY) bank fees etc. up front. What can I expect for a monthly payment? please help!
  • dhumptydhumpty Member Posts: 6
    I'm presently driving a 2004 Volvo (S-80), which I will pass on to my son

as I'm (finally!) pursuing my dream of owning a BMW.

I'm thinking as a newbie, I should start out easy and familiarize myself with the BMW via the purchase of a CPO (3-series, sedan [325 or 328].

I don't need all the latest state-of-the-art everything (i.e., run-flat tires, navigation)...
    just the comfortable and enjoyable BMW driving experience.

QUESTIONS:

1) Are there any absolutely spectacular additions to the new models
    that I will miss out on by opting for a CPO instead of a 2007 or 2008?

2) Are the newer (325,328) models, 2006 and 2007, necessarily better
    than the older, 2004 and 2005, models? Are there major differences?

3) If you were buying a (325, or 328) CPO, which year would you choose
    between 2004 and 2006?
    Is there a year that stands out from the rest as your favorite? Why?
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I purchased a 2005 325Ci CPO with stick shift about one year ago, and I am very pleased with this decision. I can provide a couple notes regarding your question #3:

- The data provided last year by Consumer Reports indicates the overall reliability of the 2005 3-series was statistically better than the 2004 models. They should be releasing the 2008 automobile issue soon, with updated information. This data, along with the longer remaining warranty, is why I would again look for an '05 rather than an '04, if I was in the market now.

- Based on all I've read, I am reluctant to believe BMW made the correct choice with using RFTs on their new 3-series platform. I fail to see much of any upside. However, don't take my word for it. Check out the BMW Run Flat Tires discussion topic for yourself.

- The new platform is very nice. I had a 2006 325i as a loaner for the weekend, and it was definitely quieter than my 2005 model. It reminded me of the previous generation 528i I owned several years ago. Maybe I'm too biased, but I thought my 2005 model was more fun to drive than the 2006 325i. But if I was a passenger -- not the driver -- I'm sure I would choose that 2006 loaner over my own car.
    It reminded me of the previous generation 528i I owned several years ago.

Exactly; I'm considering an M3 sedan for my family car, I consider it to be more of a hyper-fast grand tourer, much like an E28 or E34 M5. It certainly isn't an edgy corner-carving hooligan like the original(and still the best) M3.

Maybe I'm too biased, but I thought my 2005 model was more fun to drive than the 2006 325i.

My 1995 Club Sport is definitely more fun to drive than any E90/E92 I've driven- even taking into account the massive horsepower deficit. As a matter of fact, I did think long and hard about buying a 335i sedan, but I just didn't find it involving enough, as the Brits put it. I decided to buy a very hot hatch while I wait and see what other interesting cars come down the pike...

• ducatiguyducatiguy Member Posts: 11
    One person's experience - I just purchased a 2005 330i automatic with premium and sport packages and xenons. Car has (had) 2250 miles as it was still with the original dealer and had not been titled, although the In Service date was 5/30/2005. Considering what I believe I gave up on my trade-in (2000 528i), I estimate my true cost was 30500. Plus, I am the beneficiary of BMW's great finance rate on 2005 CPO 3 series cars right now. While a new 328i optioned the way I want MSRPs at (just) 37,200, bottom line, I am pleased with my car and purchase. :)
  • dhumptydhumpty Member Posts: 6
    Thanks so much cotmc, roadburner, and ducatiguy

(love those names!)

Of course, I'll have to test drive a few myself, but I really appreciate other experiences and points of view...

and since I know little about BMW's (and have a limited knowledge of cars in general), this info is very helpful to me.

;)
    (love those names!)

That reminds me... I might want to change my name in here. It's an acronym given to me by a former co-worker: Car Of The Month Club. :blush: That was back in the mid- to late-90's when I was an engineer working telecom; when my wife and I were still DINKs. Lately, we've been holding onto our automobiles for at least 2-3 years each.

I'm not as much of a car enthusiast as roadburner, ;) but even so, I am a big fan of several BMW models. The E46 platform with the Sports Suspension provides me with an ideal fun-to-drive experience, without the suspension harshness of some other sports models. Kudos as well to the spot-on steering feel as well as its relatively thrifty fuel economy. I purchased the extended maintenance plan for my '05 325Ci, and I plan to keep this car until shortly before the CPO warranty expires in April 2011.

My wife drives an '04 X3, which was also purchased as a CPO vehicle. We both think it is an awesome little SUV -- nearly perfect for our small family. In the past 10 years we've owned/leased other models by Lexus, Acura, Volvo, Audi, and Toyota; but we've enjoyed these BMWs the most.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I might want to change my name in here.

If you seriously want to do that, email Karen, the Forums Community Manager, and ask what you need to do - karen AT edmunds.com.

I'd hate to see you do that, though. You are well known as cotmc. Oh wait... is that the problem?? ;) :shades:
    Thanks, Pat!

I honestly didn't think I was well known... at least not much, anymore.

I guess the hosts haven't forgotten about the infamous Town Hall Riot of '99?? :blush: :P