Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• bran164bran164 Member Posts: 13
    Hi I was on here previously about my 2008 Silverado having electrical issues with the gauges fluctuating, door locks going up and down, radio cutting on and off etc. My mechanic (private dealer) changed the 175 amp fuse and it seemed to correct the problem. It's been approximately 2 months and my truck has started having the same exact problems. It's sitting at the mechanic right now and he's trying to figure out what may be wrong with it. He is suggesting everything from an alternator to a BCM. The negative battery cable has previously been changed. Not sure what to do at this point...any suggestions or success stories?
    Hi I was on here previously about my 2008 Silverado having electrical issues with the gauges fluctuating, door locks going up and down, radio cutting on and off etc. My mechanic (private dealer) changed the 175 amp fuse and it seemed to correct the problem. It's been approximately 2 months and my truck has started having the same exact problems. It's sitting at the mechanic right now and he's trying to figure out what may be wrong with it. He is suggesting everything from an alternator to a BCM. The negative battery cable has previously been changed. Not sure what to do at this point...any suggestions or success stories?
  • nancy2009nancy2009 Member Posts: 5
    I have continued to experience issues with my Tahoe even after all of the the time in the shop while I continue to make payments. Has anyone tried any legal pursuit of these issues? I feel like consumers must have some rights against these massive car companies. I am prepared to try another venue as I still owe quite a bit of money on this vehicle and need some resolution. My a/c is having issues too (my car has 65000 miles now) and there is a heat index of 110 most days here in Texas! I feel completely taken advantage of by Partners (the dealership) and GM.
  • bldrtahoebldrtahoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ. Over the last 6 months I have had multiple experiences with my tahoe not starting. It has full power to dash, lights, radio, windows, displays, but when I turn the key nothing happens. I had the battery checked twice and it was OK. Replaced the battery anyway and still have the problem. I noticed that when it won't start there is also no light under the gear selector display to show if the vehicle is in park. The check engine light comes on and it rolls thru all the warning codes in the display continuously. When I move the gear selector, still no indicator light. After I am finally able to get the Tahoe started the check engine light will stay on for a while (mabye 20 minutes) and the goes away. The light under the gear indicator will be working again after the vehicle starts. Here is what has happened so far:

1) When the tahoe wouldn't start the first time, I left it at home for the day and when I came home I was able to jump start it. Took the tahoe to Autozone and they tested the battery and said it was fine. We left it alone and it started up just fine no problems for a couple of weeks.
    2) Drove out of town on a five hour trip. Parked the vehicle for 2-3 hours in the parking lot. Got in and it wouldn't start. Called roadside service and they tried to jump it off a jump box and off another battery and couldn't get it to start. Starter doesn't engage. He told me I needed a new starter. I waited another 30 minutes (after paying the roadside service $100). I asked another person in the parking lot for a jump and the tahoe started right up. Went to Autozone and they tested the battery - it was OK. I bought a new battery anyway for safe measure since I was out of town. No more problems for a couple of weeks.
    3)Went to the store and parked for about 2 hours. Came back and it wouldn't start. Tried to jump start and wouldn't do anything. Grounded out the starter - starter working just fine, but engine wouldn't fire. Spent an hour or so wiggling wires, tightened the battery cables, checked fuses, moved the shift lever up and down, still wouldn't start. We saw a posting on another forum to move the electeic pedals back and forth and it worked. Vehicle started.

I often experience other problems
    - The CD Player motor runs constantly without a CD even when they key is off.
    -Sometimes the display of the stereo/nav will go blank and then after a few minutes come back
    -Check engine light will come on sometimes when I hit a bump and display will roll thru several warning codes, but goes away after a few minutes.
    -Random service codes will flash and then go away without me getting them serviced.

I took the Tahoe to the dealer and they are suggesting I replace the Negative Battery Cable as a start and then go from there. My Tahoe has 100,000 miles. I am expecting to start having problems, but I don't want to pay the dealer to experiment with solutions.

Any suggestions??? :confuse:
  • enrique7enrique7 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have a Tahoe 2008 LTZ 110,000 miles , and i had the same exact problems , the after checking all , i found not conductivity from the negative pole of the battery to the the other side (motor , chasis , etc) and we you move up and down the negative cable it connected some way and the conductivity back and all the systems turn on...i hope re please the negative cable works , please let me know if works i am replaced the negative cable today.
  • soleranosolerano Member Posts: 2
    Were you able to fix this problem??

Yesterday I decide to wash my truck engine so I turn on the truck and it worked fine but my wifr decide to use and later on she was having problems turning it on but she was able to make it home this morning I turn it on but it died as soon as i turn it on now after i came from work the truck is not even starting up.

I blamed the aftermarket alarm but after removing it still have the same proble so i dont know what to do I am waiting 30 minutes to connect the battery back

Let me know
  • russellrmrussellrm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ with 77,000 miles on it that the electrical system went haywire with the locks cycling up and down, loss of power, radio and air shutting off. I have had it in the local dealer for almost three weeks with a two day break in between. Last weekend had to have towed as it went dead when I stopped and could not get it restarted. My question is if any one has had this problem resolved? I have the certified warranty but it is about to expire and I definetly don't want my wife and kids in this vehicle if they can't figure out what wrong!
  • laytonicolaytonico Member Posts: 4
    Russell,
    Had the same exact problem with my Tahoe just two weeks after I got it. Got it used with 50k miles. I took it to a few different dealerships before finding one dedicated enough to keep looking for the problem. The fix for mine was to replace the negative battery wire, terminal and the connector that is grounded to inside of engine compartment. At first the dealership replaced these parts and called me to pick it up. But they hadn't reset/cleared the error codes on the vehicles computer so it still acted up. Once they did both of these things I have not had this problem come up again. It's been 10k miles now without acting possessed! I wish GM would have the cojones to do a recall for this problem bc there seem to be hundreds of people with the same problem after looming through different online forums. Good luck
  • flatahoeflatahoe Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing the same problems. It started when I was driving down the road and the radio would pop on and off. I noticed that at the same time the dash lights would completely shut off. Then a few seconds later it would all come back on. I had not touched anything. Drove a few weeks with this bizarre thing happening. Then I went to the store and when I came out the clicker wouldnt work. Manually opened the car and it would not start. Tried 30 times and eventually it started. Drove it home and called AAA. They said it was the battery and to replace it. Did that. A few weeks later it started again, however this time the car actually stopped responding for a few seconds then came back. Pulled into a parkign lot immediately and called AAA again and they said my new battery had no charge. When he sat in the vehicle to try and start it, the gauges were moving and the car was making all these clicking noises. He felt the negative battery terminal and said it was absolutely too hot to touch. towed it to a local shop and they replaced the alternator. Another week goes by and I am driving and it proceeds to start again. It has left me in a lot while it took me 10 minutes to try and start it. I read where people are replacing negative battery cables, terminals and connectors. Is this the solution. I have spent 600 on a car I have had 2 months. Please help. I am a mom with kids who travels with sports and I cannot get left on a highway somewhere. Thanks for helping.
  • joevonbakumjoevonbakum Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Tahoe did the same thing.. ac would blow softer, lights dim all of that. I put another chasis ground for the battery and it took care of it. I have an Optima Yellow top and it has side terminals and top posts. I took a piece of 8 guage wire (strand core) and connect a post terminal connector to it. I then ground the other end to the brace bar that runs across the top of the battery area. Simply unbolt one end, grind a shiny spot and the stick the wire in between the bar and the car. DONE. No problems.. Im going to go back and put a propper connector on the end of it and also upgrade some other wires.
  • kcmackkcmack Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Houston area too. May I get the name of the shop for my 2007 Tahoe. But first, please tell me if they were able to fix your problems. Thanks.
  • soleranosolerano Member Posts: 2
    Well after two days I found out that my problem was not the Bcm it was dlsi fuse that controls the security on the truck (kill switch). As soon as I replaced the $.50 fuse my truck started with no problem but I have not re-installed my aftermarket alarm yet
  • amandatxagamandatxag Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me on a used 2009 Tahoe I bought with 52K miles on it. At first I thought it was a random fluke, but then it progressively worsened/became more frequent. I took it in to a Chevrolet Dealer and here's what they did:

-Replaced 175watt megafuse on the firewall behind the battery.
    -Replaced Positive and Negative Battery Cables.
    -Replaced Alternator Cable and Starter Cable.
    -Cleared any/all codes and reset computers.

Apparently there is a Technical Service Bulletin on the issue, and it's basically caused by corrosion (microscopic) on the screws holding that fuse onto the firewall, causing electrical resistance in the main power cables. I don't live near the coast, this truck has been in arid Texas for it's entire life, to me this says metal composition was shoddy to begin with for two screws, which cost me $800 to ultimately repair due to a mistake GM made.

$800 and a week later and I haven't had the same problem again. This frustrates me so much, because I too was stranded on random roads and highways, often hundreds of miles from home, while I tried to figure out what was going on. Once it was on a rural two lane road with no street lights, keep in mind the tahoe is black, and I had to stop on the road (nowhere to pull off) and turn it off to try to restart it. Because I had no power to anything, I couldn't even turn on my emergency flashers. I could have been killed by an unsuspecting person topping the hill and rear-ending me at 60 mph.

On top of this, I sold a perfectly reliable older Ford Mustang with 130K miles on it that I had for years, that all I EVER had to do was normal maintenance (brakes, oil changes, tune ups). I bought this Tahoe to upgrade, not pay for some expensive shiny tin can that's going to fall apart any second due to faulty engineering/low quality parts.

My family and I have always purchased Ford vehicles, and often owned them 10+ years without things like this going wrong. This was my first Chevrolet/GM vehicle, and will most likely be my last. I'm fairly upset that a company experiencing financial issues (WE ALL ARE!!) would put the lives of its customers at risk without thinking twice, or at least upon reading the THOUSANDS of reports of this issue, own up to the mistake and make it right.
  • t_text_tex Member Posts: 25
    It's Lonestar Automotive Electric but before you go there I would look at repair made by amandatxag.
    My latest update on my electrical bugs continues. A couple of weeks ago I took my truck back to the shop to get checked out due to the lights and sensors flashing on and off again. They couldn't find anything. So, after reading blogs on here I narrowed the trouble shooting down to ignition switch, BCM, or alternator. I have already replaced the master fuse and battery cables. My mechanic replaced the ignition switch and called me when the truck finally started freaking out on him too. However, he couldnt get the truck to start, just a ton of lights, sensors and codes popping. So they checked the BCM and discovered that's where the problem was coming from. So I replaced the switch the BCM and had it re-coded. Only been a couple of days but we'll see how it goes.
  • celliecellie Member Posts: 1
    Had an issue similar to yours but my died for good. I thought it was my battery but it ended up being my Control Module. The input was good and that is why diagnostics were good but no answers. The input good, but nothing came out. My truck would do strange things like windshield wipers would randomly go off with the fluid and I would have to turn off the truck to get it to stop, my stabilitrac would say it needed service and then turn itself off. This should take care of it, however it is pricey... Over $500 to fix.... But it now runs way better :)
  • v8lvr77v8lvr77 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issues as you with the exception of it going completely dead without the ability to restart. I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I left. It happened again...locks cycling up and down, radio goes off and on, a/c resets itself at 74 degrees, DIC lights flashing in dash, gears switching on dash from Drive to Park, temp gauge and compass in rearview was scrambled, limited acceleration, goes completely dead (like it shorted out) when i turn the truck off, gauge needles flicker, then a "click". Good as new. Took it back to the dealership only for the guy to say again that he can't find anything wrong. I told him to check the voltage because the voltmeter would fluctuate when it happened. He tested the voltage and said he did find a voltage problem. Checked cables and discovered the positive battery cable was chafed. It was replaced. This was May 30th. Thought all was well until last Wednesday, August 8th. Same thing happened. Took it back to the dealership. They had it for two days and said YET AGAIN, they can't find anything wrong. I figured these mechanics apparently had no clue of what they were doing. I picked up my truck and took it to an electrical auto shop. The guy ran a diagnostics and said there were no codes. He said it was possible that the dealership cleared the codes because he knew that I couldn't have "recycled" my truck more than 30 times in two days. He drove it home to see if it would act up on him and, of course, it didn't. However, the next morning he said he went to start it and the truck did nothing. He checked the battery and he said that volt tester read my battery being at 13.9. So, it wasn't the battery. He started testing other areas of the truck and he said that in some areas it was reading 6.9 to 7.3. He stated it appeared to be a floating grounding issue. He placed a rubber clamp and it appeared to fix the problem. He drove it back to the shop that morning. He replaced a ground wire, replaced the ground wire body, and cleaned off other grounded areas. He had to remove the bumper in order to perform this task. It cost me $477. I got it back today so lets see if that does it because I have had it with my possessed truck.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    v8lvr77,
    I'm glad that you and the mechanic seem to have gotten to the bottom of the electrical concerns on your Tahoe. If you end up wanting for us to follow up on your visit to our dealership, please let us know. We can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • karena73karena73 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 chevy tahoe i bought brandnew and again and aain she goes from point a to point b and bamb she shuts off no reason wont start cant jump start only a few times were we able to jump start but again here it is 2012 and she is dead again and CHEVY CORP is giving me run around they wont help??????she has been towed so many times for SAME problem from road side assistance and they wont help me now?????wtf?????she is dead in my driveway and i have no one top help me?????im am a VERY VERY VERY UNHAPPY consumer :confuse:
    Good morning karena73,

We're sorry to hear about the situation with your Tahoe. Do you have a Service Request open with Customer Assistance at this time (71-**********)? If you wanted for us to check for any updates, please send that number (or the last 8 of the vehicle's VIN) to us at socialmedia@gm.com with your inquiry.

• canyousaylemoncanyousaylemon Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    My 2008 Tahoe has been at the dealer for over three and a half weeks now. Not to include the previous visits. I am absolutely appalled that GM can not even figure out what is wrong with the cars they make and sell people. My Tahoe has been having some sort of electrical problem for months now. It never starts in the morning. We have to jump start it daily, or if it sits over 4 hours. It loses power driving down the road. My clock resets every night. I stalled out with my 3 children in the car, as I was turning onto our road, and almost got hit. Dealer has replaced battery, alternator, reset codes daily, positive and negative battery cables, heated seat modules, you name it. When does GM have to step up and fix their problem? This is ridiculous. Do they want their wives and children driving in these vehicles? I love my car when it runs...this is our 5th GM vehicle, but it is surely our last. If we don't get this fixed soon, I am going to rent out newspaper and billboards to advertise for GM......I am making a $500 payment every month, yet I am running around borrowing cars from family members so I can get to work...REALLY!
    I have been reading this forum for months...I've read of numerous people with the same problem, and have never seen one person with a solution. The GM Customer Service people just say "Oh, do you want us to help follow your issue?" when do they solve the issue? Even when people say they pay to take it elsewhere, the response is the same, "Glad to hear we could help" really...I haven't seen anyone get help yet!!!!!
    I would love to hear if you pursue legal action. I am fed up as well.
    Good afternoon canyousaylem,

Have you gotten a Service Request started through Customer Assistance on the difficulties you've been having with your Tahoe? I understand that you're frustrated, and if you would like for us to look into this further we'd be happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Could you tell me what you are going to do when I give you the requested information? I haven't seen a single person in these 347 posts that has actually been helped. Is this site actually a place to get help, or just a place to vent and see how many other people are having their lives ruined by GM? As I search the internet, I see more and more people with my exact same issue. Not one has found a fix or received any assistance from GM. Is there a lot of 2008 Lemon Tahoes sitting somewhere?
    Is your Tahoe still starting? Did this fix work for you?
  • 2008tahoe12008tahoe1 Member Posts: 1
    It seems to me that GM customer service is always willing to take your Tahoe in to look at it, but never offer a free diagnostics of the problem. Another way for GM to make money off of us without recalling the issue when there are so many with this issue.
  • traveler2012traveler2012 Member Posts: 7
    As wise consumers we need to recognize that just because they are "the dealer" they don't necessary know what's best for your pocket book. YES- if your car is on warranty, take it to the dealer, BUT - if you're out of warranty, find an honest car mechanic and keep tabs on them in terms of what they are doing to your car. I recently had a situation where the car went into the dealer for a loud noise coming from 08 Chev Tahoe front wheels. They charged my wife $100 to look at the car and tell her that they thought that the brake pads on the front wheels were not CHEV OEM Equipment and as such, even though it didn't need pads, we should get it replaced. Well, My brother in law suggested we take the wheel off to look at the drum. First, we found 2 (side by side) lug nuts that hadn't been tightened. The lug nuts were loose and could removed by hand. Then - we found this small screw had been stripped and was partially protruding from the drum. It's a set screw from the factory. Well, the DEALER mechanic put the wheel back on even though this screw wasn't flush with the drum. Hence, wheel was at an angle and each time I applied the brakes, the car would make loud squeal. For those out there reading this, realize that we are going through tough economic times and you need to be a WISE shopper and consumer. This theory seriously applies to your car - a very important part of your life. In my situation, I called the dealer's service to report the matter. BUT - what about all the other situations where they are collecting $100 or more from people just for looking at their cars? Participate in these only forums. Read expert's opinions here and then do your own reading to confirm that information. I remember getting valuable advice form an EdMonds Forum user who worked as a mechanic for a long time. He was right on the money when he told me about my original electrical problem on the 08 Chev Tahoe. It was as he said - a connection problem with the battery negative terminal. The new battery I put in from Auto Zone had smaller top posts and the factory cables were not tightening enough to make it a concrete electrical connection. Dealer wants $96.00 for that cable. It cost me nothing to remove the cable, grind down the connectors so that they would close tighter. Problem was resolved, but not before mechanic convinced me to get a new alternator ($350). I was on my 3rd battery from Auto Zone before I figured out the problem. Next time you drive into a service station, keep in mind that the mechanics there see you as a bag full of money. (Smile...)
    Good afternoon canyousaylemon,

If you were to send us the requested information, we would get a Service Request set up and would contact your service department at your dealership to learn more from them about the diagnostics that have been done. We would potentially send your case to a different department for continued assistance so we could hopefully move this towards a satisfactory resolution.

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • astevens1astevens1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I also have one of the 2008 Chevy Tahoe lemons. Mine is still having electrical issues, dealer just says they can't duplicate. It sat for a week straight, they never fixed it, just gave it back. The wipers don't work properly, headlights turn on auto but won't shut off, we've had door locks go out, total power failure to the right side (wiring harness came loose). Now the radio started with the popping noise and shutting off issue yesterday. We also have an 02 Tahoe, never had one problem. This 08 is a nightmare.

Has your issue been resolved yet?
    Hello astevens1,

If you would like for us to check in with your dealership on recent appointments to get these issues diagnosed, we'd be happy to do so for you. Please send us more details at socialmedia@gm.com including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• nowen1nowen1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having this same issue for over a year. First it was the door actuators on 3 doors and the o2 sensor which were all replaced. Now the last door actuator isn't working and the car goes haywire and dies and comes back all by itself. Took to get the battery tested and its fine. the hard shift the car is make scares the hell out of my kids and myself. Husband just took it to the dealer and they said it was some wiring harness and are charging us $385. Why should we have to pay if these are obviously KNOWN issues by GM. I almost don't want to pick up my Tahoe. Won't be buying ANY GM products in the future.
    Good morning nowen1,

We're sorry that you've had these difficulties with your Tahoe, but it sounds like your dealership has found a resolution for the electrical concerns you had been having. If you would like for us to check into anything further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• tiggerbad1tiggerbad1 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2012 Chevy Tahoe in May. I have had problems since the first day with it. The first morning I went out and tried to open it with Key fob it took over 10 minutes for it to work. I have brought it to the dealership twice now for it and the first time I was told the key fobs were bad and so they replaced them. Here it is now and still have the same issues and they are getting worse. After 10 minutes of trying to open the vehicle, now once I get in it won't start, so after another 15 minutes of trying to start it, it thens has my sensors going crazy. It says to service them and then tells me they are off . I brought it back and was told that they found 25 error codes and reset them and can't seem to find the issue. They think it is a grounding issue. I put a call into Chevy today and told them I am not dealing with this and I want another vehicle. I was given a reference number and was told they will call me back. I have videos of me trying to get in my vehicle in the morning. I just hope Chevy replaces my vehicle. I can see other people have had the same issues and are still having them years later. Of course when you talk to the dealership you get the "I can't duplicate the problem". I am very frustrated and also concerned for my safety and my children. I Hope Chevy does the right thing and takes it back, but if they don't I guess that is what the lemon law was made for.
    Good morning tiggerbad1,

We're very sorry that you've had these difficulties with your new Tahoe! It sounds like you've contacted Customer Assistance already - did they set up a Service Request for you? If not, and if you would like for us to do so, please email us more details at socialmedia@gm.com (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Read the lemon law at http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon. There are so many attempts that a car dealership can do before they are required by law to buy the car back. My advice to you: If you just bought the car and are having these issues - more will come as one electrical issue is often tied to another. Do work with GM Social Media gal to see if the problem can be resolved. However, make yourself familiar with the lemon law and what your rights are in terms of returning the car and getting another new one. My sister had electrical problems with a brand new Hyndai and after five visits, they eventually bought the car back under lemon law and returned her money.
  • llb57llb57 Member Posts: 2
    To any GM/Chevrolet representative monitoring this forum: My 2008 Tahoe, for which I paid more money used than I have EVER paid for a vehicle, has more problems than any other vehicle I've ever owned. First it was a dead battery at 2 1/2 years old, then when a new battery was installed, a random, intermittent, not starting problem that could sometimes be solved by jiggling or loosening, then retightening, already maximum-tightened battery cables. Then, lo and behold, the not starting problems stopped (and I mean stopped for the past 2 years), and were almost immediately replaced by failed door locks. Let me tell you it's great fun in Florida running to my car, unlocking it with my FOB (so the alarm won't go off when I manually unlock the driver's door) and then getting soaked while I manually unlock my driver's door to get inside. But.........thank God I have one door I can actually insert a key into to unlock, because when we take guests in our 6-seater vehicle, I have to drop the front passenger seat all the way back and crawl into the back seat (at the age of 53, I don't think a 70-year old would be able to do this) to unlock the door behind me. Yes, the driver's door won't lock, and the rear passenger door won't unlock!!!!

Oh, and also when the car no longer had starting problems, it was also replaced by a front speaker not working, as well as the back-up indicator and "open door chime" volume going all the way to almost inaudible. Except for when my husband drives my car. For some reason, 9 times out of 10 when he drives, the volume goes back to loud, which by the way is what it is set at. Yes, I have read the manual cover to cover and I know how, and have set the volume to loud. Doesn't matter when you're dealing with a haunted car!!!! You must have some incredibly talented programmers, or some incredibly inept technicians. Oh, and there is also the matter of now my dome light doesn't work when I open my car door. Yes, that was great fun a few weeks ago when my father was dying, and I had to make several trips to airports to pick up family members and back and forth to his residence at night to be with him as he passed. Is it too much to ask for the dome light to come on when it's dark outside and I open my car door???? It comes on if I turn the button, so it's not out, right? Oh, and the timer doesn't work on my display indicator control panel, or the DIC as it's called in the manual. So yeah, I'm glad I'm no longer getting stuck with my engine not starting, but I really expected more from the most expensive car I ever bought.

The "badness" or "crap manufacturing and parts" of the 2008 Tahoe is all over the Web, and yet GM/Chevrolet does not and will not own up to it. I'm sure you must realize how incredibly patronizing you sound on these forums as you state over and over and over, ad nauseum, "have you contacted customer service?", "I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your xxxxx car; we strive to provide the best customer service ever...blahblahblahblah" - do you seriously think that people don't read all that when they are trying to figure out how to avoid paying $800 to have two stupid door locks fixed at a dealer? Electric door locks have been in cars since the 60s, for gosh sakes - it is not rocket science - and 99.9 percent of us never had a problem with them previously, and certainly didn't have a problem with them when the car was only three or four years old.

So, once and for all, can the GM rep who monitors this forum please tell me how you are going to fix the obviously global problem with these cars, or are you just going to leave ALL these people, who obviously represent only a fraction of those experiencing these problems, with no recourse other than to NEVER buy a GM product again in their lifetime? I can tell you I was turned against Ford when I was eight years old (hole in floorboard that I feared I would fall into the road when small) and Dodge (bad first year Durango) and I will never purchase another one as long as I live. People develop strong feelings for the vehicles they trust their lives to every day, and you and your company would be well-advised to remember that as you try to earn your living from those vehicles. I am anxiously waiting for your reply.
    If that's what you do, then why hasn't anyone in these 360 posts had their problem resolved? What a crock of &@$". After I've gone back and printed all of these 360 posts, I see that your response is nothing but a standard phrase that you copy and paste. Guess that's a pretty good business. You sit at home reading all of our problems, probably thinking "Ha, you poor bas&@&@! You won't be finding a fix in this lifetime!" As you copy and paste your standard bs response. :sick:
    VERY well said!
  • mhal1mhal1 Member Posts: 3
    Exactly. Well said. It is dangerous for these vehicles to be on the road. MY Tahoe will loose all power while I am driving it. I will never buy a Tahoe again. They should have had a recall a long time ago. They don't want to spend the money to ensure the lives of their customers. Very poor customer service. I will never buy a Chevy again in fact.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    llb57,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post your concerns and frustrations with your vehicle. I understand your position. We are not mechanics and cannot diagnose the vehicle and its concerns. I understand your confusion and I would like to take the time to explain our position on the forum and what it is that we can do; as well as what we are trying to do, but it has never been and will never be to patronize you guys.

General Motors realizes that their customers are using outlets such as Edmunds and Facebook to share information from vehicle concerns, dealer concerns, as well as questions; therefore we have been sent out here to connect with you.

When it comes to problems you are experiencing with your vehicle, prior to our involvement on these social sites, the only way these concerns were documented was if the customer contact GM Customer Assistance directly via the 800 number. In participating on these social sites and gathering information, we have been able to document the different concerns and experiences from customers who were not calling the 800 number. Our purpose out here is to connect with customers, gather information, and assist to the best of our abilities with the resources we have. Granted this does limit what exactly we can do. As you have stated there are many posts, and in engaging with them they have been documented; and cases for those who contact me directly via the email address. The number of the same complaints is monitored and kept track of. We count on you to keep us informed of the situations and concerns you are having so we can continue to track and monitor these as well as step in where we are able.

I understand our responses seem very generic, and I do apologize; but there are only so many ways we can ask you to send us the information we need to set up a case and start the ball rolling, and this goes for apologizing as well. Sarah and I are real people here and we do understand the economy, your frustrations, and sympathize with you. We have very specific conversations with management and dealers on your behalf. We would like you to know that these concerns are heard and every word gets documented for General Motors. Each case is individually handled based on a number of factors and we do our best to work with the dealers and provide you the best customer service we can and a fair resolution.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    2008tahoe1,
    Thanks for your post. I would like to clear up your confusion. Dealers are independently owned and operated; they are the ones that charge the diagnosis fees. GM dealers are contracted with General Motors, they are our eyes and ears in the field; this is why we need you to have the vehicle diagnosed and why we cannot wave the diagnosis fee. I apologize for any frustrations. Have a great day!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    So the story goes on, They took my truck for about 7 days and it did the same thing to them as it did to me, not opening the doors and not starting and then service codes. They decided to replace the body control module and I got it back on Friday. Here it is Tuesday and all weekend the same thing. I called the dealership and of course I get, bring it in. I have now made two phone calls to Chevy customer service and I have not received a call back. This is insane to be going thru this with a brand new vehicle. I am calling the attorney general today. Will keep posting the progress. I am guessing they will not just willingly give me a new truck.
  • mhal1mhal1 Member Posts: 3
    If they gave you a new truck it would just do the same thing. When we bought our Tahoe in 2009 it was brand new also. Have had trouble with it ever since. I would never buy a Chevy again.
    mhal1,

Have you had your Tahoe looked at for these electrical issues you've had? If you would like for us to follow up on any diagnostics performed at a dealership, or work with you along side the dealership to have diagnostics performed, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealer).

Ok, so I have posted on here routinely about the work I have had done on my 2008 Silverado. I have had similar problems to most others on here, dealing with door locks cycling, stabilitrak disengaged, radio cutting off and on, reseting radio channels etc. Thus far I have replaced the 175 amp fuse, ignition switch, BCM and most recently battery cables. I just got my truck back from the dealership and they told me "Scan found DTC C0900 stored in the BCM. Found document PIT4816 which described customers symptoms. Ran a voltage drop test on the positive and negative battery cables and found 217mV on the positive cable and over 900mV on the negative. Discard is 200mV. Replace both the positive from the battery to the starter and the negative cables. " Essentially they told me my battery cables were bad and replaced them. Not sure if this is going to work but we'll see. Any one else on here had the battery cables replaced and problem persist?
    Dear Sarah at GM,

I have called the 800 number and got a reference number. I have also called back 3 times to GM since my vehicle is now back at the dealership for the third time and no one will return my call. I have spoke to a Sam and a Paul and now being told Leo is handling this but yet no one will tell me what they are handling because they won't call me back. This is poor CUSTOMER SERVICE. I assume sending you my information would also do me no good. I will be contacting the Attorney General tomorrow and also an attorney because I can not get an answer from GM. I do not want this truck, I do not feel safe in this truck and the dealership under the direction of a tech from GM is grasping at straws at this point, asking me if I installed any accessories in the truck. Also asked if I had installed a remote start? Doesn't GM know that they come standard in a 2012 Tahoe LTZ. So let me get this straight, I don't even work for GM and I know more about the standard equipment then the tech's? I assume GM is trying to put the issue on me some how. Again, just seems like a lot of games to me and they can answer to the Attorney General because they sure won't call me back. How hard is it to pick up the phone and say I'm sorry we can't figure out what is wrong with the vehicle so let me get you a new one. No, they would rather avoid talking to me and hope the dealer can fix it and send me on my way. Well I am not backing down and I will not drive a $60,000.00 vehicle not knowing if it will open or start or shut systems down. VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!
    So, the dealership has informed me that there is a field engineer coming to look at the truck and they are not sure when he is coming. I called customer care again today and no one will return my call. I have made 5 attempts and 2 live chat attempts and I keep getting the same standard answer. I'm sorry that you are going through this but if you would like to leave a message for Leo he will get back to you. I have been hearing this for 2 weeks and still nothing. I have filed a formal complaint with the Attorney General and I am so done trying to contact customer care. It is the worst CUSTOMER SERVICE I have ever dealt with. My advice to anyone going to buy a Chevrolet is DON'T, even when it is under warranty and the lemon law, they will avoid you at all costs.
    It's time to start reading up on the "lemon laws." Find this online at: http://www.carlemon.com/ or: http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line/state-lemon-law/ to search by state.
    Basically, if you keep bringing the car to the dealership for the same problem or similar problems.. ie: electrical, mechanical, safety matters, etc. .... The dealership is required by law to buy the car back and give you a full refund. It's time you begin reading about these lemon laws to fully understand your rights. The question is: How long are you going to wait for them to fix a car that should have been working fine in the first place?
  • torque6616torque6616 Member Posts: 1
    So, I have a 2005 Suburban, bought it new and have never had any electrical issue until last week. The first time I noticed this issue is when I was leaving for work. Went to start the vehicle and during the start sequence I had a small (quick) pause in the starting cycle( I lost power very briefly/quickly). Starter never disengaged and vehicle did start. I did notice after the vehicle started my clock reset to 12:00 am. With this in mind, I never had an issue during any other starting cycle again(so far). The clock on the other hand has randomly reset many times, both while the vehicle is running and when it's parked and off. This has been going on for a little over a week now.

The kicker is while coming home from work today, my dash lights went into test mode twice within 3 minutes of each other. This test is the same test you would see when you turn your key to accessory before starting vehicle and all of the dashboard light eluminate to ensure they work. The second random test left my battery light on the dash, which went out when I turned off vehicle and re-started. I have no codes or other abnormal lights on dash. Battery is fully charged. Altenator is good.

Three hours later, I went to troubleshoot my electrical issue only to find I had no power to anything; lights, locks, ignition. I managed to gain access to the engine compartment to see if anything obvious was at fault, no luck. Everything seemed fine and in working order. I went to give my wife the concerning news and while I was explaining that I couldn't start Suburban cause I had no power, I pressed the door unlock button only to hear a familiar chirp. My power seemed to have come back on all by itself. That is where I'm currently at with this issue. A lot of questions and no answers. Hopefully there is someone with an answer or a direction. I am currently hunting down a schematic of the wiring for my vehicle. Figured, I might be able to troubleshoot better if I know the names of the electrical parts.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2012
    Here's one place with free wiring diagrams for most cars. BBBind.