Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB Windshield cracks

Comments

• kjktookjktoo Member Posts: 9
    So, why do some Toyota dealerships cover the cracked windshield under warranty and some don't? Is there any documentation on this? Is there anyway of making them realize they NEED to replace my windshield on my 2008 (2100 miles) xB?
  • lavariouslavarious Member Posts: 11
    Some states have insurance coverage that includes free glass without a deductible, while other states do not. This all depends on your state. You could contact your agent to see if they have this package available, if not you will be shelling out for a new windshield each time.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Glass breakage is under the "comprehensive" part of your policy. I have State Farm and I have "O" deductible comprehensive and it only costs a little bit more. I have used this a to replace the windshield on most of my cars and it did not raise my premiums.

Zero deductible "comprehensive" is not the same thing as "zero" deductible on your collision. Two different things here. I have 500 dollars deductible on my collision and zero deductible on my comprehensive.

Insurance agents sometimes are not the smartest even when it comes to their job. Good luck.
  • little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Too bad. Really was going to buy an Xb but this problem (for nearly 3-4 yrs) as well as Toyota's stonewalling/denial/refusal to stand behind their product pretty much stops me from buying. Was going to get a RAV4 but there were questions re: oil sludge build up in vehicles with less than 6000 miles which Toyota said did not happen. Interestingly, Consumer Reports does not address this issue of WS cracking...nor does GEICO report any problems. In the first case, this may be due to CR being too busy denigrating US cars while giving blanket approval to "quality" companies such as Toyota & Honda (Element WS cracks settled without admission of design flaw). In GEICO's case, it may be that GEICO and other insurance companies have not had to pay for replacements because most people have a deductible that covers the cost so therefore "it's no skin off my nose" as far as GEICO, State Farm, etc. are concerned. If I do go ahead an buy an Xb then I'll have to go with "Zero" deductible on comprehensive...sure the premium will go up but not as high as the cost of repeatedly replacing WS. Perhaps we should all do this so the insurance companies can put a little heat on Toyota. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping you were right and I had similar coverage, however, after checking, I discovered I have $500 deductible. ALSO, Saturday morning, I found out from my Scion dealer it is going to cost me nearly $800 to replace the windshield and that is if and when they can get me a windshield! Can you believe it? No windshields around....interesting.... :cry:
  • wapswaps Member Posts: 19
    It can be repaired...I had a rock bounce off the windshield of my new 2008 XB...A good auto glass shop will have the tool fix a small hole...Seals and almost disappears...
    I was/am still bummed out but at least I saved a very exspensive windshield ?
    At 500 dollar deductable will not replace if it can be repaired...
    Had mine take a small rock hit going down the 210 freeway in Pasadena Calif. Had it fixed a hour later like you said it almost disappears. Cost 55 dollars but the hole will not run. Will see what insurance pays if any.
  • scionskepticscionskeptic Member Posts: 11
    It's understandable if a rock hits the window, but when you watch the crack start before your eyes while the car is sitting in your driveway, or your on your 6th window in just a few months it's a little more than suspicious.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Don't know if it's worth asking the insurance to pay - they track these things, and I don't want them to put me in a higher claims category for $55.
  • aliudpaliudp Member Posts: 1
    I just got a crack on the top right hand corner. Came out of the blue, no stone, no nada.
    I think there is an issue with these Scions
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Which year is your xB?
  • hondadave7hondadave7 Member Posts: 27
    I don't mean to down play, since the latest miss used buzz words are basically and issue.
    But Toyota has no intention of solving this toilet paper front end .
    Scion xB's don't have a front end issue, THEY HAVE A REAL PROBLEM !!!
    David
    Trust me, the dealership will find a microscopic dot on the windshield crack and blame a stone or such -- and they won't cover it. My dealer just told me it would be about $800 to fix. I am a very disgruntled Scion owner.... and I only have 3K miles on it!!! :mad:
    Now that we have gone on the website and made official complaints and everyone is complaining here... IS THERE A NEXT STEP? IDEAS? What can we do as a group of Scion owers?
  • ackerjackerj Member Posts: 3
    I guess this is to all with Windshield problems on a Scion XB 06 or older
    scion and toyota know of the problem cracks caused by exess tention on the glass.
    There are a lot of people with that problem SO BEFORE YOU PAY FOR THE GLASS TRY TO MAKE SCION OR TOYOTA PAY FOR IT :mad:
  • boontonboonton Member Posts: 1
    Yes, after I registered my complaint with the NHSTA, I sent an e-mail to Toyota stating that I have visited many sites and saw that the cracked windshield in the xB is common. I received a call the next day and within a few days received a letter stating that Toyota would cover the cost of a new windshield (but, not the dealership's labor costs). The offer is good for one year. Of course, I will fight the dealership on the labor costs, because I believe that the letter is an admission of a defect in design and why should I pay for the labor.
    (My windshield has the "L" shape crack behind the rearview mirror.)
  • enginerd42enginerd42 Member Posts: 1
    I don't think you've had a Scion xB long enough to fully understand the issue. Mine now has about 20k on it (I drive about 10% of my miles on the interstate -- so I've driven only about 2000 mi. on the interstate).
    I now have 2 cracks and 4 chips (excluding the chip that is in a crack).

I paid to get the 1st chip fixed. Then a few weeks later, while driving on the interstate, I noticed a hair on my window (it started at the bottom and worked its way up)...as it grew it still took me awhile to figure out what it was (there is no chip present). After less than an hour it was 18" long. Since then I stopped fixing my chips (they don't seem to grow ... except for the one that does the L shape from the top of the window -- but that grew a foot before I could even pull off the interstate).

If I paid $55/chip, I'd be at $220 and still have 2 gigantic cracks in my windshield -- no matter what you do, the big cracks happen too fast to save the windshield. It's not worth paying anything for chip repair on an xB, because you're still going to have to replace the windshield everytime your state mandates an inspection (I'm lucky that my state doesn't require one for another year and a half...but after that I'm going to have to replace my windshield annually :( ). I love the convenience of my vehicle, like getting consistantly over 30mpg [and teasing co-workers when they mention that they pay over $100 to fill up their fuel tanks]. But this window thing really sucks.
    I registered my complaint with the NHSTA but would be very interested in what you wrote to Toyota. My dealership here has been absolutely NO HELP. They also said it would be months before they could get me a windshield. I have an inspection in August....
    I woukld love to write Toyota...and see what happens.
    Any advice tips etc. would be awesome.
    THANKS
  • sinjin_dogsinjin_dog Member Posts: 84
    2006 xB, 7700 Miles, White, typical L shape crack (behind the rear view mirror) appeared after parking. The day was hot day in So Cal, 95 F. I just reported to NHSTA.
    Of course, my local Toyota denied it, using a ball point pen as he pressed into the crack then said "see this small pit, yep, it is from an impact", very bad.

At first, it was Toyota sludge issue as I had my 2000 Camry, then it was transmission issue with my wife's Lexus ES330. Now this windshield crack that Toyota would not fess up to. I am thinking I no longer want to buy Toyota.
  • halo34halo34 Member Posts: 2
    So, I just found this thread as I got the L shaped crack by my rearview yesterday driving 2 mph in 5pm traffic last night. I heard a noise and 5 miles later it was there.

So, I bought my 2006 used (certified from Toyota dealership) last November, has 21K, but does have two small cracks that I needed filled near the bottom of the windshield. Should I just have my insurance take care of this or do you think it's covered by the certified warranty?
    It's now July 4, 08. Windshield has not given me any problems since I had the rock hole it fixed on April 22...
    Priced the new glass at $238.00 installed, some outfit in Glendora, Ca. Deffinitly not worth going to insurance for a claim. Can live with it, hardly noticeable so will wait until something else happens or I get ready to sell or trade in. :)
    Any good Autoglass shop will have the tool. Consists of vaccum (plugged into cig lighter source,) suction cup/liquid placed on outside of glass , propane torch heat applied to inside of glass to fix the cracks/rock hit. Maybe 1/2 hour and you're on your way. In most casses this will work but then there's the proverbial 10 %.
  • mistermiltonmistermilton Member Posts: 1
    I am on my fourth windshield with only 9,000 miles on my 2006 Xb. First file a complaint with the NHTSA. Then, call Scion, 1-866-707-2466. They will say they have no records of complaints, however, they will be very helpful and call your dealer directly to arrange a replacement windshield free of charge with no labor costs. The Scion people know me by name and are very nice to me. Be nice to them, they are only doing their jobs. Mine develops the L-shaped crack from the top, half down and toward the passenger side every time. I hardly drive my car, as I use public transportation for work. The crack will appear out of no where while the car is parked. I have made a correlation between taking my car to a certain car wash and the appearance of the crack within one day. I am an antique car collector also. What this car needs are two braces under the hood from the center of the firewall to the outside fronts of the fenders to prevent flexing as all cars had before the 1970s. Good luck. And, don't pay a dime. Be sure to file that complaint with NHTSA every time, as that is the only way recalls can be established.
    So, I just got off the phone with Scion, unfortunately my experience was a lot different from yours. I was dealing with a very nice lady, (Genice) but she of course said the whole "we have no records of compalints blah blah blah"

The one thing she did say, for ANYONE READING THIS: don't waste your time with the NHSTA, they don't pay any attention to that. EVERYONE please call Scion at 866-707-2466 and make a complaint. That is the ONLY way they will take our broken windshields as a true issue/design flaw or whatever you want to call it. :sick:
  • zupspoonzupspoon Member Posts: 1
    Yet another Scion xB cracked windshield. L-shaped right in front of rearview mirror. No crack in the morning, and a crack suddenly appears that afternoon, and the car never left the driveway. So I brought it to a glass repair shop and paid $225 to have it replaced. Then it started to leak, so I brought it back and they reset and resealed it, and it leaked again. So I brought it to a different shop and paid another $155 to have the windshield reset again. And it leaked again. At this point I searched the Internet for any issues on xB windshield leakage and I see all the complaints of unexplained cracked windshields. I called Scion customer service and the best they are willing to do is pay for half of the $400 I've spent already, with the stipulation that I bring it to the dealer and pay whatever the dealer charges to repair it. I told them that I find this unnacceptable due to the fact that this is obviously a common problem, and if the windshield hadn't cracked to begin with, none of this would have transpired. I think a class action suit might change their tune.
    Yes, the best thing is call Scion and go from there.
    I had same crack (See Post #178) and Scion Corp replaced it free of charge based on "Good Will". It took many phone calls, Scion person was super nice and professional but she did deny my claim "it cracked on its own" in the beginning.

Now, I am afraid to leave my car outside with windows closed, and it should not be that way. Life is busy, I do not really have time to call Scion or dealer visit for some design flaw.
  • eileenveileenv Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 XB and I am having a problem with my rear windshield.
    I have had my rear windshield crack three times, but it is always overnight, so I am not sure if someone is breaking it or what. The police think I have a problem with the neighbors, but I have lived here for 23 years and have only had problems like this since I bought my Scion. I am now parking it in the garage to see what happens. I told the police I have never called them in 22 years so I dont think I have a problem with the neighbors. I just dont understand this. Then my husband was mowing the edge and a pebble hit it and guess what - the windshield was in a thousand pieces. They glass place couldn't believe it was me again, I am so embarrassed, they know me by name.
    So, I am not feeling the Scion love. No way would they entertain the idea that the windshield just cracked. I argued nicely and cited this forum and the NTSA etc, man she couldn't have cared less.

K
    Well, there were about six phone calls between Scion and myself. I have emphasized that I have been buying Toyotas (and Lexus) for last twenty years. I would go ahead try again by calling someone else at Scion. After all, this front windshield cracks is due to the incorrect design, Toyota should address it correctly.
  • mrboontonmrboonton Member Posts: 2
    Let's see....2004-2006 xB's in various states throughout the U.S. are getting hit with pebbles in the same spot on the windshield which in turn creates the same "L" shaped crack? C'mon!!!
    Regarding a class action lawsuit. One was filed in California by attorneys Jeffrey Fazio and Dina Micheletti on behalf of Justin Bauer "and oall others similarly situated" vs. Toyota Motor Sales USA, INC filed on July 25, 2007. I printed this out back in April. Now, August, I can find nothing on the internet.
    I too filed with the Feds. and called Toyota. They were extremely helpful and sent me a letter which states that I can have a free replacement windshield ("L" shaped crack behind the rearview mirror.) but, I would have to pay the Dealer for labor. I have yet to replace the windshield because of so many others who have had multiple replacement windshields. But, I will NOT pay for dealer labor costs because as I see it, Toyota is admitting a problem. This is my eigth Toyota having driven them since 1969.
    I had asked if there were a "Silent Recall" on the xB's cracked windshield. My 1987 Camry had a number of these "Silent Recalls" which meant that the dealer would fix your problem at no costs.
  • mrboontonmrboonton Member Posts: 2
    From the Class Action Lawsuit filed against Toyota on July 25, 2007 in California regarding the xB's cracked windshield problem...

Page 8; line 9...
    "The dealership used what is referred to as the "pen test" to reject Mr. Bauer's warranty claim, leaving him responsible for the cost of replacing his cracked windshield."
    Page 8,line 22...
    "The pen test involves tracing a crack up the windshield with a pen. Plaintiff is informed and believes that, if the pen hangs up on the slightest pit or other blemish on the windshield, it is deemed ostensible evidence of an impact and the dealer is instructed by the Defendant to refuse coverage warranty."

When I took my '06 xB to the dealership...sure enough, the Service Manager took out his pen and started at the end of my "L" shaped crack and traced the crack backwards to the top of my windshield where he said there was a 'pit' where a pebble hit the windshield.
    After speaking to Toyota Customer Service, I did get a letter stating that they would replace my windshield for free...I would be responsible for the dealers labor costs.
  • bkoeblerbkoebler Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Scion xB
    Like some of you had already posted. One morning last week I woke up to find a long "L" shaped crack that started (sitting in the drivers seat) from the right side of the passengers seat all the way to the almost middle of the windshield. This crack wasn't there prior the night before and there was nothing that hit my windshield that would cause such a long crack.

I called Scion directly, and after being a little persistant she recomended that I tell everyone who is having this issue please call into Scion directly. The more phone calls they get the better chance that this problem will be recognized. The Scion rep was helpful, she case me a case # and told me to get it diagnosed at my dealership. Once i got the diagnoses she said to call them back and they would assist further if it was a flaw.

So if you have this problem please call Scion with the issue and proceed to contact you dealership for the diagnoses of the windshield.
    I took a rock hit on the interstate. Checked to web site for any problems you guys were having and found the problem was common. Had the chip/hole fixed $55 dollars. If it does not run, I will leave it until I'm ready to sell the car. Hopefully toyota will see the error of their design and silent recall to fix this problem.
  • jreyes1jreyes1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't believe that they ever fixed this issue because I am the "lucky" owner of a 2008 Scion XB and mind you have only owned the vehicle for 2 weeks! I have the same type crack in my windshield, "L" shape. My knee jerk reaction was to do what everyone else did and take it to the dealership. Let's just say that it was as pleasant as a route canal. They totally did not take ownership of the situation OR even consider that it could be a defective scenario. They did that same retarded pen check and chalked it up to a rock. I love the car... hate this situation. I'm so glad I found this chat board. I now feel that this is a much larger issue. I will do what other have done and call Scion directly.
  • seattlesueseattlesue Member Posts: 3
    Is this problem happening on the 2009 xb's also? I fell in love with the xb and was ready to go buy one, when I started hearing about all these problems online. Nobody anywhere seems to be mentioning the windshield problems in the 2009 models, but I don't know if that's because they fixed it or because it's too new for people to have bought enough of them and had problems yet. I'm hesitant to invest in one and then start having these issues too, if they haven't fixed it yet.
  • myscionsucksmyscionsucks Member Posts: 1
    I receive about 1 to 2 complaints a week from second generation xB owner's who are also having the same issue with the windshield. So, the problem has not been fixed in the newer model.

Someone also contacted me not too long ago and said they wanted an xB and said they were going to run a CarFax report to see if the vehicle they were interested in had the windshield issue. I told them that since this isn’t a major damage issue a CarFax report will most likely not include this defect since windshield glass is replaced on a daily basis by thousands, if not millions, of drivers.

In my opinion I say steer clear of the xB and look for something that is built better. :lemon:

Also, Scion is telling you not to contact the NHTSA because legal firms will pull this information to fight Scion/Toyota in court. Make sure you always make a complaint with the NHTSA because the numbers will not lie if they are pulled into a class action suit. :P
    >>I receive about 1 to 2 complaints a week from second generation xB owner's who are also having the same issue with the windshield. So, the problem has not been fixed in the newer model. <<

Are they mentioning whether they are 2008 or 2009 owners? I know of the problems on the 2008s (and other earlier models), but I'm not finding anything online about the 2009s, one way or another, other than someone saying the windshield is a slightly different shape on the 2009s.
  • njscionnjscion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Scion XB that I purchased in May. We were really happy with the car until the windshield cracked and I read about all of the owners who have cracked windshields. Our windshield cracked near the dashboard and not near the rearview mirror as seems to be the case in other posts.

I had intended to keep the car for 10-12 years. What I am wondering is whether I should trade it in after we get the windshield repaired. I bought the car because it was comfortable, affordable, and predicted to be reliable. If we need to frequently replace the windshield it is no longer reliable or affordable.

What is the experience of owners that have their cracked windshield replaced? Is this a one time event or does the windshield crack periodically even after it is repaired?
  • scionskepticscionskeptic Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone else received a letter about a class action lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court regarding our defective windshields?

It's in reference to Bauer v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. case number BC 374017.

I got it today requesting my approval to disclose my personal information to the plantiffs attorneys regarding my complaints to their so called "customer service department."

Bauer, I don't know who you are, but I love you!!!!!!!
  • redheadtjbredheadtjb Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2006 Xb. I have had it about 2 years. Just got back from a long road trip. I now have 2 cracks in my windshield, due to rocks. One is on top and the other is on the bottom. Is there any way to help prevent this. Maybe a deflector mounted on the front of the hood? A few years ago I used to see lots of deflectors, now hardly anyone uses them. Thought maybe someone is using a deflector. I would like to know if it helps keep the rocks off or away from the windshield.
    I love my car. In fact my husband and I are thinking of buying another one we love it so much.
  • hondadave7hondadave7 Member Posts: 27
    Hello,
    I've posted my opinions before. Read #72,78,133,148 &171. I've also installed an
    AVS brand bug shield. I like the Bug Shield whether it helps or not. I believe that
    the combination of the strut bar that I made and the Bug Shield are the primary reasons as of today I still have the original windshield crack Free.
    Good Luck
  • maggie75maggie75 Member Posts: 10
    My front windshield cracked twice. I have the safelite guys coming tomorrow to fix it. The back window cracked only because some punks threw a rock through it. Either way, the front cracks much easier than other cars because of the angle of the glass. It's not the glass itself as I've had different brands used as replacements. I recommend purchasing the glass coverage on your auto insurance. I pay less then 12 dollars a year and pay nothing out of pocket for glass repair. It's a great thing to have. Dealing with a Scion/Toyota dealership trying to get the glass fixed is a waste of time. It's not their fault and they won't spend more than a minute on your problem. As soon as the window cracks, if it's less than the size of a dollar, get it patched so you won't have a huge crack the next day.
    That's a really good idea. Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot. Sick of wasting my time waiting for my windows to be fixed. You know, the glass people will be there between 8am and 5pm. Lovely.
  • silvascionsilvascion Member Posts: 2
    You are right! I did not know about glass coverage. I wonder if the insurance company can deny coverage due to the angle flaw ( Wawanesa) I am calling now.
    What insurance do you have?
    My insurance (State Farm) would cover me for windshield damage at a low deductible, but she did say that if I had too many claims in too short a time, they would drop the coverage or raise the deductible so high that I essentially wouldn't have windshield coverage as a result.

This windshield issue is ultimately why I chose not to buy a Scion and purchased a different car this week. It's a shame, since I loved the Scion, but it seemed like too much of a gamble on whether I'd have these problems or not, and I shouldn't be worrying about something like this on a new car.
    It's worth looking into getting glass coverage added to your insurance. It costs me 12 bucks a year. When I called about my windshield this time, I asked the woman if they could ever deny my claim because it might be a flaw in the design. She said they couldn't because there has never been an official investigation or recall on the car. As far as GEICO is concerned, rocks keep cracking my glass. I know the window guy from Safelite since he's always the one fixing my glass! When you call to report the damage, just say a rock hit it. They won't even flinch. Also, make sure you don't have a deductible. Most glass coverage doesn't but it might depend on your comprehensive/collision amount. My regular deductible is $500 but I pay 0 for glass. I'd ask your insurance co what is required in order to keep out-of-pocket expenses low or zero. Good luck.
    Wow, what a scam State Farm has going on. I've had my glass replaced over 10 times on all my cars since I was 16 (I'm 33) and I've never had my claim denied or had to pay anything out-of-pocket. I love GEICO. I know it's cheesy to actually love your insurance co but I swear, they rock. I've had my windshield replaced twice this year and my back window replaced once. They don't seem to care how many times I need new glass. Guess I'm a good customer. Of course, I've been with GEICO for 17 years. It's too bad you decided against the XB. As much as the glass issue annoys the crap out of me, I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything. Maybe someday, they'll figure out how to fix the flaw. Hope you love your new car either way!
    Sorry, did I mention what insurance I have? I forgot, getting old. I have GEICO. They have the best coverage for glass. 0 dedutable. Gotta love a big zero.
  • xbme2xbme2 Member Posts: 9
    any news on the class action? is anyone contacting Bauer's attorney? my new 2008 xb had the same huge crack starting above rearview mirror L shaped toward passenger side...only a few months old at the time (had sat in hot sun). ins pd but now I have "next time nerves". very scary to drive with it that way! called toyota, they could care less. made report on nhtsa complaint site, too. (see post 156)
  • silvascionsilvascion Member Posts: 2
    Heh,

I bought one of the first 08 Xb's and now have 50k on it. I have also replaced the windshield twice due to pebble damage becoming a crack ( Flat windshield design by Scion sucks) My latest windshield is aftermarket and seems fine. your "L" deal may be from factory glass defect in some of the windshields (not mine) GO aftermarket
    now available.
This discussion has been closed.