Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "The estimated city 15 highway 23 on regular for the G8 looks quite good when compared to this list. "

Agreed.
    - Ray
    Still waiting........
    2022 X3 M40i
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I don't know where these numbers come from, but I've never heard of a Corolla averaging less than 30 MPG. EVER!

It's kind of a selling point. Pretty good one. ;)

EVERY compact car should get TWICE the economy of any V8.

DrFill
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    drfill: The mileage data comes from the US EPA's web site. Please note that the original discussion was focused on City mileage, not some sort of average mileage.
    I’m not at all certain that it is worth my time to respond, but I do find the statement by drfill to be interesting. And I have a few minutes left in my ‘lunch hour’, so what the heck:

“EVERY compact car should get TWICE the economy of any V8.”

My opinion is that this statement is balderdash. ( No offense intended. )

It does reflect what seems to be a rather common perception – though one I see as misguided, at best.

While there has certainly been a ( justifiable ) emphasis on fuel economy here in the US, I do not see the G8 ( in V6 or V8 form ) as models that ought to be expected to provide absolutely maximized fuel economy. They have several other high priorities – and most are at odds with completely optimized MPG.

Statements with both ‘EVERY’ and ‘any’ in them tend to grab my attention.

I drive a V8. In 14,000+ miles of ‘actual’ Daily Driver, commuter, shopper, grocery-getter usage, I have averaged 22.39 MPG. ( Excel calculated. ) The EPA average rating of my car is 21. ( Would be 19 under the EPA’s ‘new scheme'. )

[ And I have even seen a few individual tanks, including long highway runs, average over 28 MPG. ]

So: By that proclamation, every compact ( not even subcompact ) should average over 44 MPG.

I find that absurd.

And I don’t use that word often.

And I certainly did not expect that any G8 would equal a compact Toyota in EPA MPG.
    - Ray
    6.0L V8, automatic trans. & very happy with the MPG, thanks . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    EVERY one of MY compact/economy/4-cylinder cars ought to get double the mpg of a V8. that's wy I drive a VW TDI as well as a 6.0L v8 (manual trans GTO). I put about 40k miles/year on the TDI and 15k miles/year on the V8. I'll take a look at the G8 manual-shift model once it is offered, especially if GM sees fit to offer sirius-radio built-in instead of XM.
    see you on the highways...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GMVideoApprovals

Nothing really new, and they display with odd, stretched proportions on my home PC screen – but interesting to see so many . . .

- Ray
    Still waiting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Distribution Updates
    Updates for G8
    Week of 10/22/2007
    Effective 10/22/2007, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

* Interior section-(JF5) Pedals, Sport metallic, changed symbol on 2ER69 G8 Sedan from "A" to "--".
    * Interior section-Windows, power, driver and front passenger, changed extended description to read "includes Express-Down".
    * Exterior section-Deleted (T43) Spoiler, rear-wing entirely.
    * Exterior section-Deleted (PDX) Sport Package from 2ER69 G8 Sedan entirely.
    * Exterior section-On 2EC69 G8 GT Sedan, (PDX) Sport Package, changed extended description to read "includes (JF5) sport metallic pedals, (QS4) 19" (48.2 cm) machine-faced aluminum wheels, (QCZ) P245/40R19-94W, summer-only performance blackwall tires and (NK4) leather-wrapped Sport steering wheel".
    * Exterior section-Deleted (PW2) Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) machine-faced aluminum, split-spoke from 2ER69 G8 Sedan entirely.
    * Mechanical section-(LY7) Engine, 3.6L Variable Valve Timing DOHC V6 SFI aluminum, changed extended description to read "(preliminary 256 hp [190.9 kW] @ 6300 rpm, 248 lb-ft of torque [334.8 N-m] @ 2100 rpm)".
    * Mechanical section-(L76) Engine, 6.0L V8 SFI aluminum with Active Fuel Management, changed extended description to read "(preliminary 361 hp [269.2 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 385 lb-ft of torque [519.8 N-m] @ 4400 rpm)".
    * Mechanical section-Deleted (FE1) Suspension, Sport entirely.
    * Mechanical section-(FE2) Suspension, Performance, changed symbol on 2ER69 G8 Sedan from "--" to "S".
    * Mechanical section-(M82) Transmission, 5-speed automatic, changed extended description to read "with Driver Shift Control and Sport Mode".
    * Mechanical section-(MYC) Transmission, 6-speed automatic, changed extended description to read "with Driver Shift Control and Sport Mode".
    2022 X3 M40i
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    "...a lot to make up for..." Such grammar! Don't judge others about their lack of education.

I'm educated and I will be purchasing a G8.
    cracovian - FYI - attacking the person and not the idea never works very well. As for height and education, I am 6' 1", a Mensa member with a BSBA degree, a self-made multi-millionaie, 50 years old, and own an environmental consulting company (toxic materials and common-sense green).

lostwrench - Thanks for the support.

Why would somebody who wants small car gas mileage be looking at a G8? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It will be possible to obtain small car fuel mileage from large cars and trucks/SUVs when the vehicles with diesel engines and two-mode hybrid systems are on sale. It seems very likely that Mercedes-Benz and GM will offer such vehicles, and somewhat likely that GM will offer such a drivetrain on at least one of the G8's Zeta-platform mates. However, the price will not be low, so it will appeal more to those who drive far more than average.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I hope I read the above post....I'm very interested in a six-cylinder G8,but not one with a spoiler.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    me2. i like that spoiler-delete too. i hope they allow no spoiler on the manual-trans model in 2009 or 2010 or whenever. now if we can only get a "hood-vent-delete" option some year soon.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    fsmmcsi - yes, you're a true catch ;-) Your previous posts are lovely but this one gets the prize.

There are nice german cars out there that will smoke this thing and even burn more gas while they're at it, so if you take some time off making millions or posting on this forum, you might want to take a look at those.
  • jbar2jbar2 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone here drive the Grand Prix with the S/C 3.6? I have nothing to complain about and I enjoy getting 28 hwy. The 2008 G8's 3.6 VVT DOHC V6 (256hp only 4 HP less than 2007 Grand Prix GTP w/3.8 Supercharged V6) was tested under the hood of the 2008 CTS (with only 7 more HP) at the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Germany. Anyone not happy with this, an est. 17 / 26 and staying under 30K has only two options. Go with the G8 GT with the 361hp 6.0 or go to the Honda Dealer.

I don't need the V8 but having it about $2,400 away from the V6 will be hard to over-look.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Now, if they brought the wagon version here... What a beauty: http://www.holdencampaign.com.au/calendar/

I have a couple of 17'' wheel/tire sets from the GTO. Does anyone know if they'll fit on the G8?
    They will. Go to http://www.pontiac.com/g8/ to see them on the GT. Except for the black paint between the spokes they are the same wheels off of the 2004/2005 GTO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    "Opinions about Other Members" isn't the topic title here, folks. Let's stick to the one in big orange letters at the top, please!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Who else would would also like to see a G8 car-truck? A sedan, wagon, and car-truck would provide a range of utility and looks to suite many more buyers. I know, it is really just going back to 1978, but that past history indicates that such a range should be popular.

Who else will be at the LA Auto show? I will probably go on the first day, just after opening time, as it is not crowded, and I have found that the manufacturer's representatives are more willing and able to talk at that time.
    I am assuming that by car-truck you are referring to the Holden Ute. There was some talk about bringing the Ute to the states as the new El Camino but When they were going to axe the Commodore (G8) and the Ute, only the Ute got cut. Part of this could be attributed to the overwhelming failure of the Chevy SSR.
  • jkr2106jkr2106 Member Posts: 248
    The other part (they say) is because of the change in exchange rate (ie-the dollar is falling too much to make a profit as a chevy). GM may bring the ute here as a Pontiac or GMC, though (my vote's for Pontiac). Yet another consideration is the high volume nature of Chevy dealers and the concern that they may not be able to source enough from Holden plus the ute is based on the G8/Commodore and it would be best, training-wise, to service them in the same dealer (B-P-G).
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Part of this could be attributed to the overwhelming failure of the Chevy SSR.

And (if true) this is the usual BS move by automakers who really screw up a good concept and throw their hands up in the air that it isn't a big seller and decide americans just don't want that type of vehicle, although the real reason is that we don't want that vehicle because they did something horribly wrong like make it overweight and overpriced.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

GM is using the G8 as a test bed in the same manner they are using the Saturn Astra (Vauxhall / Opel Astra) and if things go well we may see the wagon or Ute version of the G8 over the next couple of models years. I agree with the Pontiac badging of the Ute, GMC has not seen a car-truck since the Sprint in 1977 and given it's truck only line-up it wouldn't make sense. Chevy has become the basic, bargain GM and volume / exchange rates aside, this vehicle would go un-noticed by the Chevy buyer (SSR). For now, I am eagerly awaiting the day I can park a G8 in my drive-way. :shades:
    I agree with the error on GM's part when looking at the weight and price of the SSR, especially price. How many buyers do you think spent two to five thousand more for the Corvette Coupe? That said, let's all hope the same decision making is not applied to the new Camaro....that would be sacrilege.
    Posted on another board - seem reasonable, but I cannot say that they are 'official'...

G8 GT - ($29,310)
    Prem Package - ($1250)
    Sport Package - ($600)
    Sunroof - ($900)
    All Season Tires - ($150)

Freight - $685
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    Is this car going to have a nav option tucked into that screen on the dash?
  • anteken1anteken1 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

Does anyone know for sure if the G8 GT will be offered with XM and/or NAV? I have read that they are...and aren't. Trying to keep the price down and simplify the options, I could understand no NAV when the G8 launches but no XM? That makes no sense as it is a simple and cheap addition. Any information would be appreciated.

As far as the failure/success of the UTE, it comes down to price/engine availabity...just like the SSR & GTO (IMHO). If the SSR had launched with a price in the high 20's/low 30's AND a high HP engine,things might have turned out much differently. To launch with that ridiculous price and the crap engine was folly of the worse sort. A lower cost hardtop version would have helped. An LS2, hardtop and a price of 27k, and they would have sold like hotcakes. Chevrolet is NOT a brand that can charge 40k for something that is basically a toy.

The GTO was simply priced WAY to high when it launched. The staid looks didn't help either...not even the (required) twin intakes on the hood? Anyhow, the main killer was price. Compared to the price of a Mustang GT, 7k more, give or take, was just silly. I love the way the GTO drives, but at 20k used, not 30k+ new. A 25k GT with lower depreciation make a lot more sense (if you're buying new)..and looked "hotter". It wasn't, but it looked it. By the time they fixed some of the "problems" with the GTO, the Pontiac dealers were having fire sale prices on the '04s, just about making certain that the resale would be horrible and thus stopping many from buying the later, improved models. It does, however, make for a GREAT used bargain and the interior is just lovely, especially for a GM car (I know they're getting better, but perceptions die hard).

End opinion, thanks for reading. Any info on the XM and NAV would be appreicated.

Cheers, Anteken
    The Order Guide ( last updated a week ago ) lists neither.

My ** GUESS ** is that neither will be available at launch.

MY 2009, anybody’s guess. . . .
    - Ray
    Hoping for both of those AND a HUD – for 2009 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    BTW: You are correct that GM initially announced XM as a production model feature for the G8. ( From February: See partial list below, quoted from GM’s first press release. )

My ** GUESS ** is that the XM issue is related to the fact that the initial build will apparently include a Blaupunkt audio head unit – and the fact that I don’t believe that XM is available in Australia . . .

- Ray
    Still hoping that 2009 will bring enhancements . . .

= = =

http://www.media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/events/autoshows/07chicago/brands/pontiac/- #top

Production model details
    The 2008 Pontiac G8 lineup will offer two models: G8 and G8 GT. Each will come with a host of standard performance, convenience and safety features, including:

. . .
    Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
    OnStar
    XM Satellite Radio
    Power-adjustable front seats
    Fog lamps
    2022 X3 M40i
    You can get some answers by going to GM's Pontiac website, http://www.pontiac.com/ ,and clicking on G8 (early 2008) under the "Pontiac Vehicles" tab. The first thing some folks may notice is that the Commodore's tall wing is not pictured, only a spoiler nearley flush with the deck-lid.

Sorry, no listing for NAV or XM in any packages or by themselves at this time. No HUD listed either. There is an IPod / MP3 jack in the specs, which is fine by me since this is all I use anymore.
    From Edmunds.com

Price with Options
    2008 Pontiac G8
    GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)
    . . . . . . . MSRP . . . . .Invoice

. . . . . . . . $29,310 . . . . .$27,698
    Select Options
    PCQ Premium Package info $1,250 $1,038
    CF5 Power Tilt-Sliding Sunroof info $900 $747
    PDX Sport Package info $600 $498
    QFX P245/45R18-96V All-Season Blackwall Tires info $150 $125
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nojetsnojets Member Posts: 31
    Not to have a nav option on a $30,000 car just seems shortsighted in this day and age. If $100 cellphones can have GPS circuitry, it's nuts not to offer the option in this Pontiac halo model meant to represent the future of the brand. I understand that there's a lot of engineering to make it work under all climates found inside a car, but it's hardly cutting edge any more. Who's going to come over from Japanese wheels if they can't have the toys they have become accustomed to?
  • edkleinedklein Member Posts: 34
    Personally, I have no interest in an OEM NAV unit in my next vehicle, so the G8 remains on my list.

That said, I do agree that, especially in this price range, GM needs to be offering NAV if they intend to be competitive.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I dont necessarily agree with the NAV...how many people order nav specifically in a car...or simply accept it as a dealer ordered option from inventory stock because they simply want the car.....I saw that happened a great deal with the hybrids.....you couldnt get a hybrid toyota without Nav all ready in it.....at lease on the dealer lots in my area....

look around you today....those who what a nav system...simply get the portable one and mount it....they are cheaper and serve the same function....but dont give the integrate look....

the same can be said for BT as an option....as well....

I too havent ruled the G8 off my list....Im looking at the new Malibu as well...in addition to the new CTS...again three different classes of cars...all depends on how much of my $$ I want to part with......$43k for the CTS, $28k for the G8 or $26k for the Malibu...all a few percentage points over invoice.....
    I would probably buy a NAV system, if offered.
    I would certainly buy XM, if offered.
    Neither appear to be available in the initial build \ Job 1.

I am somewhat more concerned about the limited choices for interior colors.
    Here in HotLanta, a dark ( black \ “onyx” or “onyx\red” ) interior just does not make much sense.

I prefer ( an have typically bought, in my last several new cars ) a medium to light gray leather interior. The lone exception was my Grand Prix GXP – with suede inserts on the seating surfaces, this was not a huge issue – for me.

The lack of a HUD, in addition to the above, may mean I will wait ( and hope ) until the 2009 Model Year changes are announced.

- Ray
    Still hoping that not too long after the initial build of ‘pool’ cars, GM \ Pontiac will add options & colors . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I agree. And there are many other options not yet appearing in the build list that will make the car seem somewhat cheap. It wouldn't normally be a problem, but, like you said, if this is supposed to be a halo car, buyers need to be able to option it as such. Its some simple things, too. I earlier mentioned the lack of 8-way seats. I also see no mention of seat warmers. These are features I can find on an Accord. Even the econobox mazda3 offers nav.

I do see, however, that standard features on the GT include remote start and tire pressure monitoring. So that is appreciated. But those seem odd when the more common features listed above are overlooked. Maybe the offerings will change.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Included with:

PCQ = Premium Package, includes leather seating surfaces, (KA1) driver and passenger heated seats, (AJ6) 6-way power driver seat adjuster, (AQ5) 6-way power front passenger seat adjuster, rear center armrest, (VY7) leather-wrapped shift lever and (NP5) leather-wrapped steering wheel
    2022 X3 M40i
    ah. ok. well, that takes care of 1 small feature.

I don’t mean to be flip or offensive. Just wanted to make sure people reading here understand that heated seats are available – though not as a ‘stand-alone’ option. Yet.

And I agree that one could argue the G8 is coming to market without several items one might reasonably expect.

I am hoping that the lack of interior color choice and the lack of a HUD will be addressed.

My sense is that the G8, though it became a “world car” for GM, did not have the time or the attention of US representatives early enough in the product development cycle to insure that every item of ( standard & optional ) equipment was available initially.

Yet when we look at the number of 350+ HP, V8, RWD sedans available for less than $30K in the US, my sense is that Pontiac will sell every one they can build in Australia and ship here. Somewhat like the new 2008 CTS, there are missing pieces ( true BlueTooth integration is the one I hear most often regarding the CTS ) but the emphasis was apparently on bringing the G8 to market as soon as possible, with all of the basic features on the checklist such as drivetrain, seating, suspension, etc in place and thoroughly developed. My guess is that the G8 GT \ V8 will be a terrific car to drive, even if missing a few items many expect.

And my hope is that initial market reception will justify additional features & options – and models ( GXP ) in short order.

I have only 15,500 or so miles on my current ride, so I do not NEED a new car anytime soon. So ( fortunately ) I can wait to see what happens.

- Ray
    Waiting, oh so very patiently . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Its true. I mean, there is no doubt that, on paper at least, it looks like it should be a good buy. I mean, if I compare a $30k G8 GT to a $30k Accord (to keep with my previous comparison), the GT may lack some ammenities, but absolutely destroys it in performance and fun.

the only bit that worries me at this point is the seats. 6-ways might not work for me. It really depends. The only 6-way I ever tried that I felt completely comfortable in was an '02 WRX. All others have failed to give me the leg support my 6'5" frame needs.

Oh, one other thing I noticed that it does have, though, is a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel. This is also very important for my personal driving comfort.

The aftermarket navigation systems provide superior functionality, and cost no more than typical factory systems, so the lack of factory navigation in the G8 should not be a problem. I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 system in my 2006 Explorer, and it is equipped with the XM, XM NavTraffic, Bluetooth, and rear camera options. It has a hard disc to store the map data and to store music "ripped" from CDs or DVDs. With four excellent speakers, the who system came to about $2,500.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Come on people! What about On-Star? It's free for 1 year. I just bought a 2008 LaX Super and got lost driving around South Bend, IN (when it was pitch dark). All I did was call O/S and they told me exactly where I was and then gave me directions (turn-by-turn) on how to get to the tollway.
    buty after that first year..I beleive its $24.95 a month for turn by turn option......On-Star is the true reason I beleive GM is hesitant about BT integration IMHO...since they have the verizon calling......but too many people want BT as an option these days
    I love having On-Star. The last NAV I had proved to be a distraction and got little use. I currently pay for turn-by turn as I need it since it is not contractual so the $24.95/month never bothers me. I would like confirmation on the availability of XM because I am not interested in additional equipment in the car to make this possible (the dash is too pretty for cluter). For those determined to get NAV, I haven't seen the option listed anywhere but it would seem possilbe with the 6.5" color LCD in the dash.
    See my post #329 above.
    Still current.....
    2022 X3 M40i
    guess Im confused by what you mean as OnStar is not contractual..since it requires a monthly subscription...and I was wrong about the pricing...its 28.90 a month..and for the first year of safe and sound given to you for buying GM equipped Onstar vehicle...its a $100 upgrade....per the Onstar website....
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    I'm not a fan of audio-only turn-by-turn navigation. I'm a visual person. I HAVE to see a map.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

Plus, XM-Navtraffic, a feature available on many aftermarket systems, helps avoid traffic messes. Just last week it helped us avoid a wreck on I-5 south, allowing us to know about it and exit onto PCH to go around the backup. Our Pioneer AVIC-Z1 will also plan the route using NavTraffic data, and offer to change the route based on changing traffic data.

None of the navigation systems have a way to account for being in the HOV lane, so you to factor that into your decisions on routing.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    It's rather funny that the discussion about this car is revolving around the functions of a rather obsolete communications device.

If I want a phone or directions ... I think I'd rather go with a relatively inexpensive, mobile option like a Blackberry or IPhone. The cost is much less, you can upgrade every year or 2 as technology and options change, etc.

Why do you want an expensive unit buuilt-in to the dashboard, that may require expensive repair someday, and will be obsolete quickly? Give me a decent stand-alone sound-system and a manual HVAC system, and a few power ports, and I'll bring the MP3 player, the phone, the NAV, and the DVD players for the kids.

Now speaking of the car - I like the white, with the red/black interior. The fact it uses 87 octane is nice too. I wonder how much the tires will cost, and how fast they'll wear out; being Z-rated on a 2 ton car?
    “It's rather funny that the discussion about this car is revolving around the functions of a rather obsolete communications device.”

I think that is largely due to the fact that we are ( or at least I am ) waiting for actual driving impressions & test results of production examples, from Edmunds & The Print Media. Or test drives by potential purchasers.

Until then, there is not really much of anything new to discuss.

And the first published tests appear to be at least another month away – and no one knows exactly when dealers will have units available to examine. To see what the production fit & finish & materials look like. How well the suspension ride \ handling compromise works for us. What the acceleration feels like. Whether or not the seats offer sufficient support & adjustability for our particular height & build. Etc.

I don’t happen to care a lot one way or the other about a Navigation System.
    And I don’t happen to care about BlueTooth, at all.

But I do care
    ( for example )
    that XM appears not to be available at introduction . . .
    And I find ** THAT ** very odd, indeed.

- Ray
    Waiting.
    Still.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    i'm going to go out on a limb and predict that as nice a package as the g8 appears to be at first blush, it's going to be a flop.....why?.....first, the logistics of the car: the car itself is produced in australia, the engine (atleast the v8, is produced in mexico....in these days of 98 dollar barrel of oil...this does not sound like a recipe for success...i don' t know where the 3.6 (which is one hell of a motor) is produced, but if it's also made in mexico...that's another strike against it.

the other point is the limited selection of options on either the 3.6 or the v8...to not even offer hid's or a heated steeering wheel or limited slip on the 3.6...these are glaring ommissions.

the car will sell well in the beginning, like the gto did, but i think the sales numbers will drop off dramatically after a short period of time.

it's too bad, a rwd platform with these power trains should be a real draw...let's hope i'm wrong and gm will fatten up the option list. who knows, maybe oil will go back to 55 a barrel....yeah, right.

jackg
    06sts6
This discussion has been closed.