Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Eos Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Tell us about your Eos purchase experience here.

Comments

• stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    I have been anxiously awaiting the Eos to arrive at a local VW dealer and got the call from them this week.

I headed to David Michael VW (Freehold, NJ) to finally see it in person.

I test drove a 2.0T auto w/ luxury package.

My thoughts:
    Smaller than I expected.
    Fit/finish was as expected, but lacked the "luxury" feel I had hoped for...
    I had driven the Audi A3 with the same 2.0T engine and was expecting the same exciting engine feel - far from it! The car felt like it was towing an invisible anchor. Could be that it had 40 miles on it and wasn't broken in, but was a detractor for me.
    We had the top down - more wind noise/buffeting than expected as well. I've owned a few convertibles in the past and was slightly surprised by the wind noise. Again, expected better.

All in all, I felt like it didn't live up to the hype.
    Guess I'll need to schlep to the Volvo guys and see if the C70 is REALLY worth the extra $10K!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,931
    David Michael, huh? Hmmm... I may have to find my way over there this weekend.

I'm not expecting alot of luxury out of a $29k car with a retractable hardtop. The hardtop is complicated and expensive ... and, by the way, heavy, which may be the anchor you are referring to.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I am going to try next week to get an Eos for the day and take my little digital video camera. Not sure that I can get the car for the whole day but even just an hour or so would be nice. I will post some videos of the ride around if I am able to get the car.
  • sobeg6sobeg6 Member Posts: 50
    Let me know if you really find an EOS for 29K, I think it's impossible. A few options and your up in the mid to high 30's!! good luck :surprise:
    to find one sitting on the lot at that price might be impossible. But ordering one wouldn't be.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carraracarrara Member Posts: 8
    My local dealer in the Seattle area is offering me either the base or 2.0T Eos for $1,000 over INVOICE. Which is more than $1,000 off MSRP.

DO NOT PAY MORE THAN MSRP!!! RESEARCH, COMPARE, NEGOTIATE, AND HOLD YOUR GROUND!!!
    how are folks buying this car now?

i just received an email from VW yesterday about going for a test drive, and in the email, they state the EOS is not "officially available until Fall." Are dealers "unofficially" selling their test cars? Would seem silly to me if they are not expected to get any more in until Fall.

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Our VW dealer told me the same thing. The only model they have in stock, that is actually right outside my office now as it is being cleaned up, is on consignment and so they cannot sell it.
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I live in orlando and I got a call from the dealer and they have 4 that they just got in (and are for sale) and I bought one and will pick it up tonight. I am getting a dark blue, manual, sport pkg, navigation and 18" wheels, $36,510. I had a trade and I think I am getting a pretty good deal. I am getting slightly above KBB Trade in for mine.
  • photogal57photogal57 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    Where didyou find the invoice pricing? I looked on edmunds...and all over and found nothing. I really want this car and it's barely in my price range (I totaled my solara convert. - the new ones are too big). Thanks
    Jan
  • eoslovereoslover Member Posts: 10
    They told me the same story about not officially releasing until Fall. I told them that I was ready to buy it now and they didn't have a problem selling it to me. It's official. I bought it.(:
  • flheatflheat Member Posts: 46
    I love my new Eos and enjoy watching the roof perform its gymnastics going up and down. I am glad I got the manual--it is fun squealing the tires and I am sure I'll get a ticket in no time. The car accelerates a lot faster than I thought and I am over 60 in no time and it surely does not feel like it. Today I leave my baby Eos back in Orlando as I head to Germany for a 10 day vacation and will practice my driving skills on the autobahn.
  • kf714kf714 Member Posts: 9
    if you go to local dealers sites and check inventory, in some dealers they list msrp and also invoice, if you checkthe dealers around 20036, wasahington, dc, a dealer in virgiani had the invoice price listed, which is about 2500 less than retail i think
  • carraracarrara Member Posts: 8
    Before the dealer received invoice prices, he told me that I could purchase the car for $1,000 over invoice.

Today, he quoted the following actual prices to me:

Base Manual 27,718
    2.0T Manual 29,545
    2.0T Auto 30,618

These include destination charges, but not taxes.

I hope his helps.
    So those are the $1k over invoice prices?

If WITH destination as he says, I guess that makes sense. So that would make invoice $26,718 vs the $28,620 MSRP. $1900 spread sounds a bit low, but believable for the base model, I suppose.

Thank you so much. In NJ they are selling the 2.0 ot automatic for 34,900 out the door(tax is approx. 2000). So if I offer 33000 out the door, that wouldn't be unreasonable? I've had 2 dealerships stick to 2000 more. Maybe it's just NJ. My family has been telling me to go out of state (Delaware or Maryland-not Pa.or NY). I have cash in hand and approoval for the balance, but can't handle more (I need to get a 2nd car after this)-I really don't need the packed one (although it is nice). BTW, how are VWs on trade ins. I managed to total my Solara Convertible(2003) and got $20000 for it - wss the 4cyl.not leather too). Guess I'm a skeptic.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    >In NJ they are selling the 2.0 ot automatic for 34,900 out >the door(tax is approx. 2000). So if I offer 33000 out the >door, that wouldn't be unreasonable? I've had 2 dealerships >stick to 2000 more. Maybe it's just NJ.

You are not alone. My VW dealer in Delaware has one on the lot for $35K.
    I just bought my Eos-just had automatic and the stereo upgrade. I paid 30,800, add taxes, dest etc...plus a "tire tax" in NJ and I paid 32,400 out the door. I guess I did ok for our area. The one thing I missed ...there was a dealership giving tires for the life of the car with the same pricing. I wanted to go with them but they would have to cll around for the color i wanted-I found it 50 miles. I figured that tey would either make me wait (dealers here are not switching cars)or charge me for transporting it north....A bird in hand.... BTY... I love it!
    I had a 2003 Solara-It was nice-this rides just like it. The hard top is slow but when you don't have a garage, want a convertible and can't afford the Volvo, iit's just the ticket. Head over to Berbardsville or GC Volkswagen in Burlington. Bernardsville was good with internet pricing. I bought mine at VW World in Neptune...exit 100B (Freehold) .5 miles off the GSP. Easy to work with. Honored internet pricing. I got anautomatic with the upgraded audio system-has 3 mos of satellite to start you off (I figured I could turn on my own windshield washers and really didn't like the dimming rearview mirror so the extra package wasn't worth it to me. I got it for just under 33,500-that was out the door price. When I went they had 1 silver with black interior(like the one I got) and 1 fully loaded midnight blue. Good luck :shades:
  • dangerouscurvedangerouscurve Member Posts: 6
    I'm not nearly as savvy as a lot of you out there. But since someone asked about invoice pricing and I haven't seen any info I thought I would throw in what I've found.

From carsdirect.com:
    Base 25,721 (27,990 MSRP)
    2.0T 27.548 (29,990 MSRP)
    3.2L 33,816 (36,850 MSRP)

Is it right? I don't know, but the MSRP seems to agree with other reports. The last I saw there isn't any invoice pricing information on packages or options.

In the San Jose area I have found the following at different dealerships:
    MSRP + almost $8,000 (that's right 8K$ over MSRP)
    MSRP + about $5,000 (said they might deal)
    MSRP and said they were willing to deal on the one car they had (not what I wanted) and MSRP for an order.
    MSRP - $500 for the car I wanted to order (a very loaded Eos)
    MSRP - $800 for the car I wanted to order

None of it has been pleasant, and some of it unpleasant. The big markups really make me pause. The dealer is telling me a profit of a few thousand dollars isn't enough for them. Which makes me wonder what kind of price to expect for parts and service (will they continue to try and extract ever dollar they can?). The last I saw, the cars were not moving off of their lots. All this in the midst of the Volkswagen CFO publicly concerned about the company profits. These markups certainly are not helping the factory sell more cars (nor is it helping their profit margin). In fact, the markups seem to be killing some interest and enthusiasm for the car. There may be plenty of enthusiasm left for the dealers to sell the cars the get at the inflated price. Compare this to what I see with the Toyota Camry Hybrid - the dealers are selling them at MSRP and cannot keep them on the lot (I am told this is true of Camrys in general but especially the hybrid). The Toyota dealers tell me they have waiting lists.
    But maybe it is a good thing for VW if the reliability is still poor (no sense in selling a lot of cars that need repairs - giving them a very black eye). If I got the JD Powers reports right VW is near the bottom on both the initial quality report for 2006 and the report on 3 year old models (2003). I know you can manipulate numbers and there are parts that VW does well, but they don't seem to be making the whole car with the same higher quality of some other manufacturers.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck to all you buyers. I echo the sentiments of carrara . . . shop around and hold your ground.
  • rdmanrdman Member Posts: 2
    Be warned: VW will not let you order Navigation ($1800) without also ordering "2.0T" ($2000) and Luxury or Sport Package ($3490/3690).

***Therefore, Navigation actually costs a minimum of $7290! ***

And if, for example, you don't want to be part of the animal trade, and prefer the "leatherette" upholstery to leather, you can't have Nav at all. Get lost! (Literally..) :P
  • pghacura1pghacura1 Member Posts: 5
    Bought an EOS 2.0T msrp $36185 for $34185, luxury, DSG, and dynaudio. Price excludes trade and taxes.
  • eseireseir Member Posts: 26
    We are shooting high profile commercial here in South Florida next week and we were wondering if anyone owns one os these EOS. We only need you and yur car for a few hours and WE WILL PAY YOU VERY WELL for those few hours. Usually we would use the local delerships or rental car companies, but the car is not available through them. Let me know thanks
  • houstontxmobhoustontxmob Member Posts: 56
    Lucky u!! I want one too! I want to get that same car like yrs. But the damn dealership wanted me to pay $10K more than the MSRP. Mind if I ask which dealership you got yr car from? Perhaps I might just have them shipped it to me.
  • pghacura1pghacura1 Member Posts: 5
    The dealer was Mikan VW, zip 16001, Other local dealers were at msrp, But I also tried Sams club auto service, Mikan was a member and they offered $1000 off because I made contact that way. I have done business in past with this dealer and when we said we would order one without the dynaudio they said they would take the additional $1000 off. Another local dealer has the three original EOS they got, only has sold ordered cars, come north to a dealer lots of convertables here.
    Thanks for the information. I do have Sams Club and Costco membership. I should have used that service. I hope I will get the same car soon!
  • heymjoheymjo Member Posts: 8
    The 3.2 Eos is about to arrive. I got a call from a dealer to tell me it would be here in 2-3 weeks. To get pricing, I went to Carsdirect.com. They sent me to a couple of dealers who told me they were selling the Eos at $1,000.00 UNDER sticker. A fairly loaded 3.2 with the nav system and the technology package (but NOT the upgraded Dynaudio system which doesn't seem to be on any of them at this point) was approx. $39.5K. So check pricing on Carsdrect.com before any of you go to a dealer and pay over sticker!
    Yes! I got my car finally. Only very few honest and reasonable dealerships around here. I am leasing this black /beige/ sport package/ auto EOS 2.0T for 36 months, a little over $600 per month. I think it's okay since my down was VERY minumum. I am EXCITED!! Woohoo!

Other dealearships quoted me $100 per month more than this one! Woohoo.
  • auctionkingauctionking Member Posts: 8
    Do you know of an aftermarket nav system for the eos? :shades:
    Has any one figured out how you can open close with remote the top.? I have read discussions does anyone has the answer? :shades:
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Can you really do that? Read through the owner's manual, it doesn't say anything about it. If anyone knows how, please let us know too. :)
    Does your Eos?
    1/Slide back in park? Try parking on an incline.
    2/Give a false air pressure reading? Wasted time checking for flat NOT..... Computer "bug"
    3/Try to install a nav system ? Nope not available
    4/Remote system for hands free on steering just for show .not adaptable for US products.yet they charged extra for upgrade with radio.
    5/Rain drops keep falling on my head. Yep assembly problem check it out. Dealer made it go away we hope.In all honesty German Technology is great but long way to go.My wife has a Honda with 100,000 miles.No shoppe time. I guess they will get it just right with a convertable.Sometimes it pays not to be first. Lesson learned. Don't be a Gini pig.
    Does your Eos?
    1/Slide back in park? Try parking on an incline.
    2/Give a false air pressure reading? Wasted time checking for flat NOT..... Computer "bug"
    3/Try to install a nav system ? Nope not available
    4/Remote system for hands free on steering just for show .not adaptable for US products.yet they charged extra for upgrade with radio.
    5/Rain drops keep falling on my head. Yep assembly problem check it out. Dealer made it go away we hope.In all honesty German Technology is great but long way to go.
    My wife has a Honda with 100,000 miles.No shoppe time.
    I guess Honda will get it just right with a convertable. Sometimes it pays not to be first.
    Lesson learned.
    Don't be a Gini Pig.
    Guess what I have the luxury package excluding the nav system. They are not prepared to install an after market for conflict with computer. Yet they do not have an original part to update the vechicle at no price. Asked the dealer is this an item that they will have shortly?
    Answer don't hold your breath. Maybee next year. Good Luck.
  • ladyofthelakeladyofthelake Member Posts: 20
    Our new Eos arrived in Houston last week. We picked it up at Demondtrond dealership. All of our experience was via long distance/ internet since we live in another part of the state.
    1.We could have purchased closer, (Dallas- still 350 miles away), but those dealers were charging $2000.00 OVER MSRP! We purchased for under MSRP by going to another dealer.
    2. Dealer met my husband at the airport, car was as expected, for the price expected.
    3. No leaks, no problems following a 800 mile drive home, rain and shine.
    4. The Eos itself is even BETTER than we remembered! Our two teenaged sons really love it as well (not that they'll get to drive it anytime soon).
    5. First year model cars are just that. But sometimes subsequent year models have their problems as well. I'm sure we can ALL look back and think of a car or a dog or a
    house that was lower maintainence than our "NEW" one. Nobody ever wants to feel taken advantage of by price, expectations of reliability or resale value. Who really knows when they are going to sink a lot of money into something that might not turn out as expected? I'm sorry for those who are not satisfied with their purchase. We are thrilled and the only question is who's day is it to take the EOS instead of the conversion van?! :confuse:
    Excellent! I am glad you are as satisfied as I am too. Ahm speaking about charging $2000 over MSRP, some dealerships tried to charge us as much as $5-7K. So which model and package did you guys get? I got mine at Momentum VW at Richmond in Houston, TX, and yes I was lucky enough to get one with $700 off MSRP.
    We got the 2.0 turbo automatic in Black with beige leather interior.
    Luxury package with the Lemans wheels. And yes I've owned a black car in the past and know what the demands of the color choice are, but we couldn't resist. It's too sweet!
    Being in a smaller Texas town, we didn't feel the need for the Nav system, although I'm sure they're very useful in the big cities. The steering wheel controls for the sound system is great! I love the satilite radio, NO MORE COMMERCIALS!!! You can't beat all the other convience features.
    We really shopped this purchase. Compared all the 4 seat hard top retractable models and TEST DROVE them all. For the money, the ride, the outfitting, and for the SUNROOF- to- CONVERTIBLE feature, the EOS came in with it all! I was honestly ready to put my bucks on the Volvo C70 until we compared it with the EOS. We also test drove the lower end Pontiac G6, and even considered the Lexus SC.
    Hey, congrats on your car and your good deal too! It does pay to shop around! The open air is just a little sweeter when you know you didn't spend more than you wanted to.
    Excellent! Mine is also black exterior and beige interior. But mine has the sport package instead. It has different wheels and it has sport suspension too. Hehe.

You are correct, the audio system is amazing! I love it! And the Satellite radio is amazing. I did my research too on this purchase. I was going for a convertible, I even considered Saturn Sky, Miata hardtop, SLK280, BMW 3-series convertible and even the Volvo C70. For some cars, I can;'t justify spending over $40K for a weekend car. Finally, I test drove this car and fell in love since then.

Yes, it pays to shop around. I am glad you got a car you wanted. Now drive safe and have fun! ;)
  • vw_ridervw_rider Member Posts: 18
    Anyone in TX here bought this car? I have talked to lot of dealers here and they're acting as if this is the best thing on earth and are not willing to budge a dollar off MSRP.I test drove the car and I liked it but then is it worth payin MSRP, which is already 4-5K profit for them?
    Also, i;ve been thinking if i should just probably wait it out and see how the reviews come out. Definitely the car is gonna get cheaper in some months' time. Your thoughta on that?
    Anyone have suggestions about any good dealers? And has anyone bought the car below MSRP?
    Thanks a bunch.
    Anywhere in houston, dallas, austin, san antonio would do.
    I bought mine in Houston. Yes, I got mine $700 off MSRP. Just got my car last Thursday and I am still loving it. I purchased mine from Momentum VW from Richmond Ave. Just in case you want to get yrs there as well. Make sure you do your own homework and then go from there. I initially communicate with them through emails, until they scanned the sales price sheet and emailed it to me. Then, I just called them up and went to the dealership to talk about it. Took me several weeks research before I found and bought mine. HTH. Any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask. I am sure I,mylsef or someone else here can help u out. Good luck.
    hi
    thanks for the info..I did contact momentum..they also have a base model with leatherette..does anyone know what leatherette is? Does it change the look of the car a lot? For now I think the base model is good for me...the problem is that i'm in austin and cant drive out all the way just to check the car out..and here in austin all they're getting is luxury and sport packages..
    Can someone outline to me the difference between base model and luxury/sport packages, in layman tersms? and how many of the stuff in the luxury/sport package is really necessary?
    thanks
    Leatherette simply means fake leather. Not that bad looking actually. Go to www.volkswagen.com and to UK site, you can see the brochures and simply look up the Base and Sport version. Or contact your local VW dealership and pickup one. Or you can check out autos.msn.com too. Here's a link for a glance of the differences within models. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?year=2007&make=Volkswagen&mo- - del=Eos&trimid=-1

I would say depends on your budget and what's important to u. Mine is sport package and I pretty much have everything I needed and am very satisfy with it.

Good luck.
    My best suggestion to understand the difference in base model vs luxury or sport package is to go to vw.com. Click on EOS and get the build your own Eos section. This is very informative. You can add and remove options, colors, fabrics and wheel packages to your hearts content. You will get a very good feel of exactly what you are getting for the money. I spent a lot of time at this website before I even test drove the car. As far as what options you REALLY need depends on why you chose this car to begin with. Do you want a car that's a little sporty but still lux? Or is the "driving experience" of a sports car more to your liking? The "sports" suspension IS different than the Lux we drove both back to back and over again to appreciate this difference. Supposedly, the tire size will also affect this difference as well. I also would not want to miss out on the "heated seats". This made a big difference in comfort with the top down when it was a little cooler outside.I think the packages really make the car one thing or another for you. They do however add some bucks to the bottom line. I would not count on buying a base model and then later upgrade with aftermarket items. I only say this because I've heard in this very forum the difficulties encountered by others trying to upgrade without voiding electrical warranties, or the need for special adaptations to make aftermarket items work. If possible, I would personally fall on the side of getting what you want on the car from the outset rather than wish you had later. We purchased from Demondtrond in Houston. We did get it for under MSRP. The Dallas dealerships we encountered were asking $2000 over MSRP. It will help you A LOT to read all the forums you can. Learn the questions you need to ask your salesperson. We had our salesperson e-mail us a spec. page for the VIN number of the car we were buying (the dealership was 800 miles from us) so we could see EXACTLY what was on that car and make sure we weren't missing out on something we really wanted on it. Do your research, drive where ever you have to to get a test drive, then find your best deal by calling around the state till you find what you want. As far as waiting for the prices to come down: if you can stand the wait, the only question is are there still going to be plenty of what you want then? I really don't know what VW will do with this car. Who ever does with a first year model? Good Luck with the hunt!!!!
    Hey Houstonmob!
    I didn't mean to step on your toes about the website suggestion, :blush: we must have both been responding at the same time. My long windedness prevented me from knowing you had already posted the same. It is a useful website though huh?
    thanks ladyopfthelake,houstontxmob.

I am talkin right now to Momentum VW which was usggested by one of the posters here.
    They're givin me the base model at 31K, which is 4-5K below the one equipped with the leather or sport package..

Someone asked me why i want this car..Cos its a hardtop convertible.

Thats the one reason..I testdrove this one but i drove the one with lux package so it definitely must be different from the base model
    Looked at the website u sent..thanks for that..
    I think I have to take a look at the base model and see what it does/doesnt have. I dont wanna go there and be asked " Oh you wanted a steering wheel? thats not there in the base model !!!"
    Just kidding, but after driving 300 miles i dont wanna be surprised.

Thanks for the suggestion about asking them the spec page..I shall do that..and will also checkout the dealer u bought from.

Either way if I have to drive from Austin to Houston, I'd better check out all posssibilities.
    It's not just hardtop convertible, it's also a moonroof coupe. They called it CRC, Couple-roof-convertible.
    Hehe
    none of the dealers is even willing to give me a discount.
    not here...not the ones i called. the least i heard till now is a guy in dallas how said he'll give to me 600 off msrp.
    but thats the lux package which i am trying to avoid..i think the base model is good for me
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This is what I did with mine. I emailed them through their dealership website online system and requested information about the car. I already knew which one I wanted so I was frank enough to ask her about the particular model and its description. She replied me with the price quote. I asked about how much they are looking to get for that car as I am VERY interested to purchase without wasting lots of time in the dealership. She then replied and even scanned the price sheet/dealership invoice and emailed it to me. I went to the dealership on the very same afternoon and bought the car she price-quoated for me.
    hi all..thanks for all the suggestions..while i am excited about nearing the purchase of the Eos, i am hoping i aint being hasty by goin for a just-released car...I mean last week no one in austin was willin to sell it for less than $36185, and now demontrond in houston has 2 cars:

A red with sports package ($34100), and blue with lux package($34700)..Am confused about which one to go with.

Does the lux package automatically come with the DVD nav system?

And can some real automobile geeks tell me what is the difference between lux and sports packages>?

Does anyone have a red Eos? Can you post pics please?

thanks much
    Prat