Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• piasonpiason Member Posts: 55
    The German cars have the worst reliability ratings. How can anyone say they are the leader? Why would anyone buy a car that will give you problems and cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$4 to fix? I had a MB and it was in the shop more than on the road. Nice riding car but why does most people say they are better??? They have more documented problems than American autos and you pay much more for them?
    My wife had a 2002 Ford Taurus "company car" and that car never gave her a day’s trouble, very under rated. It's all about status and most people buy MB or BMW just for the status. :surprise:
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Nope, all 06' models are SAE standard.

From Lexus.com:

Ward's 10 Best Engines Award
    By Featuring: 2006 Lexus IS 350
    WardsAuto.com

Toyota Motor Corp. wins a Ward's 10 Best Engines award with its sophisticated new 3.5L DOHC V-6

Toyota Motor Corp. is under way with a global play to take its Lexus premium nameplate to the industry's top tier.

To achieve parity with the world's best, Toyota knows powertrain technology and performance must be a top priority.

The all-new Lexus 3.5L DOHC V-6, a first-time 10 Best Engines winner, is one of the first of a new generation of Toyota engines to use direct-injection gasoline (DIG) technology, which company engineers say will be a cornerstone of the Lexus brand's initiative to be a powertrain-technology leader. In the coming years, all Lexus gasoline engines are to employ direct injection. Using a novel new system that combines DIG and port fuel injection, the new Toyota V-6 (code name 2GR-FSE) generates a scorching 306 hp, a figure that leads the class of premium V-6s.

The new 3.5L V-6's stout horsepower exceeds that of more than a few well-regarded V-8s.

The direct/indirect fuel-injection system also delivers laudable fuel economy improvements and an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEVII) rating.

The over-the-top fueling arrangement results in dazzling throttle response and ready acceleration from virtually any engine speed.

Toyota engineers say by adding indirect fueling to the DIG system (there are two fuel injectors for each cylinder), intake-mixture formation is optimized, maximizing the benefits of DIG: improved low- and midrange torque, reduced fuel consumption and better emissions.

At high engine loads, only the DIG fueling is employed, making the most of DIG's ability to cool the intake charge and generate a denser, power-producing air/fuel mix.

In low- and part-load conditions, the 3.5L DOHC V-6 uses both injection systems, cutting fuel consumption and emissions, while simultaneously enhancing torque production by as much as 30%.

The complex top end is an elegant addition to the already excellent new port-injected DOHC V-6 architecture used in many Toyota-brand models.

In addition to the innovative fueling system, the new V-6 uses a host of other high-tech components, such as a unique plastic water-jacket spacer that prioritizes coolant for the upper block to reduce cylinder-head temperatures.

The technology affords a meaningful performance payoff for the all-new IS 350 sport sedan - and Lexus' global brand-hiking intentions.

Apart from the eager acceleration, torque comes in abundance. The new Lexus V-6 rips for the redline with a magnificent 280 lb.-ft. (380 Nm) blast—a torque output that begins to threaten that of V-8s with a liter or more of displacement.

The high compression ratio (11.8:1) enabled by the direct-injection fueling is a tip-off to this engine's heady power and efficiency potential.

The city-cycle 21 mpg (11.2 L/100 km) and 28 mpg (8.4 L/100 km) highway fuel economy leads the entry sport-sedan class that relies on high-output 6-cyl. power (however, BMW's new 3L DOHC I-6 scores a better highway mpg figure).

Toyota's new 3.5L DOHC V-6 is a marvelous technical development by any measure—the new performance, efficiency and refinement standard for 6-cyl. engines.

Judges' Comments

Winter: Utterly awesome engine, especially at this price point.

Murphy: Always a sense of urgency with this engine in all ranges. Refinement beyond comparison.

Engine type: 3.5L DOHC 60º V-6
    Displacement (cc): 3,456
    Block/head material: aluminum/aluminum
    Bore x stroke (mm): 94 x 83
    Horsepower (SAE net): 306 @ 6,400 rpm
    Torque: 277 lb.-ft. (376 Nm) @ 4,800 rpm
    Specific output: 87 hp/L
    Compression ratio: 11.8:1
    Fuel economy for tested vehicle (EPA city/highway mpg): 21/28
    Application tested: Lexus IS 350

©2006 WardsAuto.com.
    This article originally appeared January 2006 in WardsAuto.com and is reproduced here by permission. This article was written by a third party, and does not necessarily reflect the viewpoints or opinions of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. is not responsible for any errors that may be contained therein.

For complete vehicle information, capabilities and limitations, see your local Lexus dealer.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    The Lexus V6 is SAE rated but EVERY engine is not SAE rated. Gm, Honda and Toyota have rated many if their motors but the entired industry has not.

I see that the info on the 5 series engine was incorrect and the 300hp I-6 is being offered. I wonder where that other info originated about the 273hp engine. Shows that you cant always trust the internet.
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    I agree that the CTS was praised by the press when it was introduced. One reason for this praise was that it was far superior to Cadillac's previous effort the Catera.

Clearly, the 2008 CTS will be a step ahead. Howevever, I disagree with your statement "that competition had managed to surpass it" because I don't think the CTS was ever ahead of BMW, for example.

You are spot on with your assessment of the CTS buyer. I agree with you that most people buy one because they are getting good value for the money. Thus, I feel that GM can't price them too high. Think about it, would your father buy one if he couldn't use his GM card dollars and had to pay $3500 more?
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    chavis10: This is what I know. The Germans manufacture BMW's and MB's to two different standards. Those that are built to remain there are called Euro Spec, and those built for export are deemed US Spec.

Because the US of A has such high standards for crash safety and emissions control,etc.,etc., cars produced for export to the US of A face great scrutiny, and therefore must be made to a higher quality than those produced IN the US of A if they want in.

According to the information provided by MB plant (during a walk through tour) in Stuttgart Germany, some of the vehicles produced don't make the grade (flunk the rigorous inspections)and must remain in the European Theater. Probably many dollars/euro's lost, and I just wonder who pays for that part.

I only wished that US auto makers were held to the same standard, but they are not. It may be because it is too costly, and/or as with Euro Spec cars, not subjected to rigorous inspections.

NOTE: When I tried to ship my Volvo back (which I shipped from the US) to the US in the early nineties, it flunk inspection. It was only after I could prove that it was built outside of Europe (assembled in Canada) did they let it through. What a headache,and talk about double standards.

thebug...
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    My father would, but it's so easy to use the GM card(or Ford card if you like Fords) that it's a no-brainer for many older people. When he buys one car, he starts saving for the next one.

See, even without the $3500 in GM dollars, the CTS will start at about $30K. Not $35+options like the IS350.

It's 80% of a BMW or Mercedes at roughly half the cost to own over a projected 10 year lifespan(he tend to keep his card for a decade or more). My mother loves the C class, but the cost to repair and the lack of reliability turned her off. Honestly, if even Suzuki and Hyundai can make nearly bulletproof electrical systems, Mercedes and BMW are in serious trouble.
    BMW & MB will go under before any American car company. :surprise:
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    You know.. I once would have thought that that was impossible, but darn it if Mercedes isn't practically trying to dig its own grave. Now, sure, they'll survive, but then again, so does Land Rover. If they keep this up, they'll end up being a niche product in a decade or two.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    I don't see how they could be built to a different standard - all cars come off the same assembly line. They could be inspected to a different standard after assembly, but Euro spec cars could fail just as easily as US destined ones. I would expect Caddy inspects CTSes just as well.

It doesn't matter where a car was built - if you have a US title to it, you can ship in/out of the US as many times as you want till the tires fall off. Just make sure it doesn't have any dirt from the originating country.

Biker, whose USDM '90 Civic made its way across the Atlantic 3 times.
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    Dude, that was a complete waste of space. That article is old and I read it eons ago. The standard was not enforced in 2006 model year, plain and simple. I already acknowledged that BOTH IS engines were certified under the new protocal so I don't understand the point of posting that information.

GM Powertrain got nearly identical output on regular gas with a single source of injection.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289

Still at it after all these years huh? Yes, the CTS is a good looking car, especially now with the 2008 redesign. Cadillac finally fixed what sucked soo soo hard about the current CTS, the interior!! ANd the exterior is much better looking too. the current model has looked ridiculously slab sided since it came out.

You're trying to bust on the IS350 I see. Boy, you have always thought GM designs were breathtaking but in reality GM design has only been getting good for a couple of years now and it's just really starting to take off with cars like the Solstice, Sky, Aura, Outlook, Enclave, Acadia, and now the CTS.

"If you like Lexus styling than I am surprised (pleasantly) that you like Cadiilac's styling because to me the companies are total opposites when it comes to "getting it" in terms of great styling. Lexus doesn't get it."

Lexus has been "getting it" for years that why the cars have been selling...eh huh...who's #1 in the US in luxury car sales?? Obviously a whole bunch of customers find Lexus cars attractive, not saying they are the most attractive but they sure have been more attractive for the past umm.....17 years. According to you, Cadillac "has been getting it" meaning "great styling" for the last 20-30 years but that just makes the statement look really foolish!

But you know what, 2008 is the year that Cadillac finally becomes competitive with it's competition of BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. The 2008 CTS is WORLD CLASS, FINALLY. I have yet to see the interior first hand, but from pictures it finally looks like it can compete with the big boys in terms of styling & material quality. I hope GM doesn't cut costs and I find mis matched plastics etc. in the interior, because the new CTS just moved to the top of the list to replace my TL in 2009.

P.S. Admit that GM was building and designing junk until a couple of years ago.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "I hope GM doesn't cut costs and I find mis matched plastics etc. in the interior, because the new CTS just moved to the top of the list to replace my TL in 2009. "

Whoa- don't make any rash decisions just yet. The redesigned TL will be out in 08 as an 09 model.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    And I thought it was just me. My MB had so many issues I made them give me a new one and then it had so many I just traded it in for a Lincoln and have not had any problems sense. You can have their squeaky brakes and stuff!
    biker4: It is known that cars are made different (better) because of the work ethic in some other countries, ie; Germany/Japan. And those cars destined for the US do in fact go through rigorous scrutiny. If the car is made in the US then it's not subjected to this degree of scrutiny.

I think Cadillac has finally gotten the message, (to me it's evident with the quality my 03 CTS) and the overall work ethic has improved as well as many other things, and thus we get a better product. I only hope that other US auto makers follow the lead.

If you shipped a car to Europe and back to the US, then it is US spec without a doubt. Otherwise (I tell ya) it's not allowed.

If you have ever gone through US Customs, you will know that going out of the US they don't seem to care. Now coming back in is a totally different story.

I left and re-entered the US (from all coast) about ninety-six times (worked with the medical airevac system) and lived in or visited sixty or so countries during my twenty year career, so I've been through US Customs a time or two myself.

I was responsible for making sure that those (incapacitated persons) we returned to the States, had all their belongings shipped as well. This included their automobiles. So I've shipped a car or two as well. And I tell ya, it ain't easy sometimes.

BTW When I did my tours to the auto plants (MB & Volvo) in Europe, the cars were not produced on an assembly line, they were done by hand.

thebug...
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Lexus is #1 in sales because of its trucks, not because of its cars. They are very concerned about that , and that is why Lexus is working hard at making great cars.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Very nice color!
    Good angle shots, I don't think I've seen it from this view before. Makes it look shorter in one shot. Now I'm sure this will look good in black with ebony. Thanks.

thebug...
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    "But you know what, 2008 is the year that Cadillac finally becomes competitive with it's competition of BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. The 2008 CTS is WORLD CLASS, FINALLY"

Here we go again... Boy, do people have short memories. Does anyone remember the original G35 interior, first gen IS300's interior, or any generation C-class interior? Let's not pretend that the competition has been all it was cracked up to be in the press. While I didn't like the design on the old CTS interior the quality in my opinion was equal if not better than the G35's interior.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    Anyone know the size of the wheels shown in the photo. The color really looks great! Also when will this hit the market and anticipated pricing?
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    starting to take off with cars like the Solstice, Sky, Aura, Outlook, Enclave, Acadia, and now the CTS.
    Hey! don't forget Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Grand Prix, and Bonneville! And SSR-maybe Gm has had something more than three years.
    Lexus has been "getting it" for years that why the cars have been selling...eh huh...who's #1 in the US in luxury car sales?? -Mercedes Benz. Don't even argue.
    2008 is the year that Cadillac finally becomes competitive with it's competition of BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. The 2008 CTS is WORLD CLASS, FINALLY. What about STS, and Escalade? THey compete well among the best.
  • puckspucks Member Posts: 47
    Those are the optional 18 inch wheels. 17 inch is standard, but has a 7 spoke design, not 9.
    PLease do not turn this into a Lexus vs Cadillac thing. I do not care about the IS350 in any way, shape or form. It is an excellent car in terms of performance but it's not pretty, it's pricey and it's too small. I like the interior though. If the CTS is cheaper or even priced equivalently to the IS I would get the CTS without a doubt.

Lexus is #1 and that has nothing to do with styling. On the contrary, its obvious most lexus owners do not consider styling to be important when they look for a car. Lexus is #1 because the RX has been such a hit and no other luxury SUV comes close to its sales. The current IS is FINALLY making headway in this segment because the last gen was a flop. The GS is a slow seller as is the SC and the LS isnt a volume car. Lexus' success is all about the ES and RX and I don't want either vehicle although they are fine for those who want a quiet ride and mediocre handling. Lexus is a very successful luxury brand that appeals to older customers much like the old Cadillac did. The IS and RX are the only products Lexus makes that seem to attract people under 55 and that is great now, but Cadillac was in the same position 15 years ago and look what happened.

GM's designs are better than ever but I disagree with the notion that they havent made any decent vehicles until a couple years back. The STS, Intrigue, Arora, Alero, Deville/DTS, Corvette, Park Ave, Bonneville SSE/GXP etc. do not qualify as junk to me. GM is getting better but the idea that the CTS is the first competent car in GM history is a gross exaggeration.
    You wanna know what else is a gross exaggeration? I'll give you an example:

"Lexus is #1 and that has nothing to do with styling. On the contrary, its obvious most lexus owners do not consider styling to be important when they look for a car."
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    And, in any case, we're not talking about Lexus here. We're talking about the Cadillac CTS. Seems fair enough, given the discussion title.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

ggesq - I think you are lost so here's a link to the Lexus forum -->
    http://www.carspace.com/csItemGroups/section.makes/item.Lexus :surprise:
    No. All the show cars had 19-inchers on them. As you can see on the sidewalls:

• riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    Any word on whether the 19's will be an available production option? I've only seen the articles mention 18's. If not, makes me wonder how much of the glorious new interior will make it to market in the fall.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "Here we go again... Boy, do people have short memories. Does anyone remember the original G35 interior, first gen IS300's interior, or any generation C-class interior? Let's not pretend that the competition has been all it was cracked up to be in the press. While I didn't like the design on the old CTS interior the quality in my opinion was equal if not better than the G35's interior."

Who's talking about the G35 interior?? You're right it was as POS interior just like the IS300's and first CTS's. But now you're saying at C-class interior is junk? That's just plain stupid.
    17 or 18 inches. Both will be available.

A tire is a tire. Put your own 19s on if you want. You can always change a tire. It's a show car, and show cars always have large tires, because they look better. I don't see why they would change the interior. This is the production car. It is not a "concept".
    Thanks for your direction.

Keep up the good work in here.... :surprise: :confuse:
    That's a good point. I hope it's not the case though.

thebug...
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    But now you're saying at C-class interior is junk? That's just plain stupid.

I think what he should have said is the previous C-class interiors were junk. Hands down! Seriously, the Cts has been able to perform well with compettion. The previous CTS-V beat out the old M5. If that's not competing-bottom line is THAT'S COMPETING!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    As some of you know, I used to own a 2003 CTS LuxSport before trading it for the 2005 SRX I own now. (kids happen). I've waited to let the pictures, comments and press releases digest before I chimed in. So here goes.

Exterior: The previous car was pretty radical...very in your face. You either liked it or you didn't and Cadillac stuck its neck out on the line that it would find buyers. It not only found an audience but by all accounts exceeded expectations and raised sales targets. The new body seems to have the refinement Cadillac was looking for without the blandness of the STS effort (the STS has always looked unfinished to me).

I like the new larger grill and I can't wait for the SRX to finally get it since I always thought the SRX's shielf grill was a bit too small (same comment applies to the XLR). The could care less about the side vent but at least Cadillac is trying to be consistent with the Sixteen design cues and if they had to do it, they choose a nice shape and place to put it. And it actually works!

The rear isn't as bland as some of the mock up rear ends we saw on the 60 minutes piece, and that's a good thing. The rear is indeed reminiscent of the old Eldorado ETC, and that's not a bad thing since the rear was the best part of that car. The trunk line still comes into the C-pillar with the same sharp line that the old CTS did, which keeps the theme that this indeed is a CTS.

Interior: The most maligned part of the old car finally looks like it's ready to play ball. Ironically enough, the old interior did win some design awards, but I think it was mainly that an automaker actually went with a contrary design in a production vehicle for a change. But inexplicably they stuck the old CTS interior into the SRX for the first three years of its life...what were they thinking other than cost?

The new interior looks like it wasn't designed by GM....not a bad thing in the least. I'm concerned (as always) that my legs and knees won't be able to fit in this vehicle like the previous one, but I can only find that out when it shows up at the dealers (or the nearest auto show). The STS can't fit me so I'm concerned for this car.

I'm personally unsure of the popup Nav system. That style of Nav seemed to be all the rage some years ago but I think a lot of manufacturers moved away from it and to large screens operating full time. We'll have to see how this new one performs.

Otherwise the design looks really cool. I'm praying that they didn't cheap out and put ugly hard plastics in interior places where you may not notice at first. This is a big problem in the Escalade which has nice stuff at eye level but cheap stuff at foot level (especially on the doors).

Engine and powertrain: 300 HP is necessary to play in this game, especially with like power from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. The choice of an entry level engine is good. Since we all know that a CTS-V will arrive eventually in the 500-600 HP range, one hole in the product is a V8 engine in the 400 HP range. Since there will be a new Northstar replacement in 2009 and the new CTS is a tad wider than the old car, I wouldn't be surprised if a non-V-series 8 cylindar engine is made an option later on. The new 6 speed tranny is welcome, but I hope that its added width doesn't impede on the driver's foot well like it does on the STS. Disappointing is the foot operated parking brake. People have been critizing this in the last car and I'm not sure why this "feature" was repeated.

Overall, I'm initially impressed by the effort. I'm looking forward to sitting in it and driving one later this year.
    Its is an integral part of the design as explained in this video:
    http://www.motortrend.com/av/autoshow/detroit/112_0701_2007_detroit_2008_cadilla- c_cts_unveiling

And as demonstrated again by this picture:

It is a very complicated piece of sheet-metal integration which, according to Motor Trend's Chief Editor is the type of detailing that only BMW is doing right now.

Additionally, it's supposed to be a stylized representation of Cadilac's "Flying Lady" from the 1930s (...and had been progressively stylized over the years too).

to this:

to this:

to this:

I didn't say it was tacked on, but I appreciate the insight. I have more respect for the detail now. Thanks!
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    Rocky-

My "only" question is, why doesn't Cadillac have 5 more cars like it? There should be some Buick's like it too, as well as Chevrolet, etc, etc.

--mediapusher
  • mediapushermediapusher Member Posts: 305
    Without a doubt it seems that CTS wins when it comes to the looks of interior compared to the Lexus IS350, however the CTS's interior looks much more garish than the IS350 and some buyers may be turned off by this.

Oh, and perhaps it's just me, but doesn't the rear of the new CTS look a bit Eldoradoish? This isn't bad, I just happened to notice it.
    I don't know, but I think many will say the interior is much better. I like the old interior also. I just hope it can be done in all black with the wood trim. I think the rear has the STS/Eldorado look. In any case it's cool. I will have one this year.

thebug...
    Without a doubt it seems that CTS wins when it comes to the looks of interior compared to the Lexus IS350, however the CTS's interior looks much more garish than the IS350 and some buyers may be turned off by this.

Oh, and perhaps it's just me, but doesn't the rear of the new CTS look a bit Eldoradoish? This isn't bad, I just happened to notice it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    gar·ish (gâr'ĭsh, găr'-) pronunciation
    adj.

1. Marked by strident color or excessive ornamentation; gaudy.
    2. Loud and flashy: garish makeup. See synonyms at gaudy1.
    2. Glaring; dazzling: “Hide me from Day's garish eye” (John Milton).
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not quite following you here. They both look fine to me:

But to each their own.

I do agree with you about the ElDorado though.
    When looking at the two together, they are both really nice. In my view, the lexus interior leans more towards a sports like theme ,and the Cadillac is more on the opulent side.

In any case, I think it's more of what you are looking for as opposed to which one looks better that the other, because in truth I believe that most would admit (privately if not publicly), that they are both pretty nice.

Because I like most of the cars in this class, if I had the space (and the money) I would buy the competitors, and do my own comparo.

thebug...
    I would admit (both privately and publicly) that cars in this class all have really nice interiors with the only excepts of: current CTS and BMW 3-series.
    In case you hadnt noticed, the newest model in any manufacturer's lineup usually is the best for obvious reasons. You seem to be suggesting the the rest of Cadillac's vehicles aren't up to par but that isnt true. The STS is competitive, especially in V series trim, and the XLR and DTS are nice cars. The DTS currently has the best interior out of any Cadillac car and it serves its purpose well in the luxury market.
    Speaking of competitors. I have always thought,that the make up of competitors (particularly on this site) are out of sync. Mostly because they are comparing compacts to mid-sized, and compact sport to mid-sized luxury and so on.

It's really hard to determine what they are using for the criteria to get certain vehicles in the same group. At the same time for some of the vehicle groups here, they're dead on.

If I were in the market for something the size of a CTS, I would have never been considering something as small as the Audi A4, or BMW3 in the first place. I think the BMW5 or Audi A6 (size wise) is more in that direction.

Some have said (on this site) "but it wouldn't stand up to those". I say "oh well" because it is what it is. My example is, they say the BMW3 is more nimble that the CTS "DUH". Of course it is. it's smaller, and it should be. I'll bet it's more nimble that a pick up truck too.

I have noticed that other sites seem to place them by size, purpose and price, more than who the manufacture said they were competing against.

And, I would think, that in reality, the advent of the CTS (starting in 2002) probably took sales from the BMW5 series and Audi A6 markets. It would be interesting to see if anyone ever did that type research.

thebug...
    louiswei: That would be true for some, but not for all. It is apparent that some do in fact (I would be one of those) like the interior in the current CTS, as well as the BMW you mentioned, because they sold very well.

I would guess, that those that truly didn't like the designs, didn't buy one. At least I hope they didn't.

thebug...
    I don't know about the CTS but I know there are people out there (in fact, a alot fo them) whom would buy the 3-series just becaues it is a BMW. They don't care about how it looks (inside and out) or how it drives, as long as they see that BMW emblem on the hood of the car.

I, for one, could not stand ugly (of course in my point of view) interiors and that's the major reason why 330i didn't win my business this time around.
    In regards to the current CTS interior, the one that I have 03 lux package, black on black which I purchased in Nov 02. To date has not had one squeak or rattle. I've started my fifth year with this car, and in my history of owning cars, this would be the first time that this has ever happened. That's pretty impressive.

When I purchase the 08 CTS this year, it will be because of the quality that I've noticed in the current CTS. Again, this will be the first time that I've purchased a car from the same manufacture (and same type car) back to back.

I attribute that to quality and good service on Cadillac's part.

thebug...
    I too would not buy a product if "I" viewed it as being ugly. And you're absolutely right, some do go for name recognition regardless of what's inside the package.

I for one use name recognition to a point, but only to a point. In that, I say that until the CTS was produced I really never gave Cadillac a second thought because all the models were too big for my need. The advent of the CTS was dead on for me.

That being said, I lean more towards cars that I like for whatever reason, and I don't really care what others think about a particular model. Non issue for me. I do that with everything that I buy, not just cars.

One example would be when I bought my Elantra Wagon, many of my colleagues laughed and poked fun at how cheap (yes in person) it was. That was in 1999. Today, I still drive my Elantra, it still runs and looks good, is very functional, and it's inexpensive to maintain. My point, it's a good car.

A few of those that the provided the ridicule, have changed cars at least twice by now (I don't point it out)and have somehow managed to traded one nightmare for another.

So for those out there that don't like a particular car for one reason or another, I say, don't buy it. It's really that simple. For me this year it will be the 08 CTS with all the goodies (hope they're packaged right), less nav and sunroof. Can't wait!!!

thebug...
    I will agree wholeheatedly with thebug. My '03 CTS LuxSport was the best screwed together car I ever owned. In the two years I owned it, not one squeak or rattle surfaced, outside of a passenger car seat bolt that was easily tightened. My SRX is similar but with the extra length and the huge hole in the roof, it just doesn't have quite the same tortional rigidity. Still, it's been an impressive vehicle too.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    For me this year it will be the 08 CTS with all the goodies (hope they're packaged right), less nav and sunroof. Can't wait!!!

Might be waiting a long time - you almost can't get a car in this class w/out a sunroof. I think the G35 is the only one you can order w/out a sunroof - everything on the lot has one.
    And speaking of NAV - do all models of CTS have a screen (like the G35)?
    In the last five model years of the CTS, the sunroof was not a standard item. I didn't opt to take a sunroof on my current CTS. According to this site, one of the Lexus models for 07 doesn't have a sunroof as standard. I think it's the IS350 but I'm not sure.

I really think that particular item and nav should be an order item. Although I have a convertible, I'm just uncomfortable with a sunroof, and I don't need a nav system, because it doesn't really tell what you really need to know about getting there, and for me it's really hard to see under certain conditions of light.

thebug...