Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vibration Defect in 2006 4WD Honda Pilots

2»

Comments

• ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    A couple of comments:

#1. if you don't have the problem, consider yourself lucky.

#2. the problem isn't at 85mph.

#3. slow down.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    So it's exactly at 70 MPH? Strange isn't it?
    If you read the thread, reports vary from 68-72.
  • homeykathomeykat Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem. I thought my speakers were blown, but I never listen to my radio very loud and the bass vibration is intermittent. It seems to come from the rear of the vehicle. I realize that the original post is old, has anyone gotten an answer/solution?

<<<<<<I purchased an 06 as well in April of this year and we are experiencing a type of "resonate frequency" in our Pilot. Mainly at very low speeds or when we are stopped and this is very strange. It sounds like a very deep BASS from the Stereo system, although I do not believe it is coming from the speakers. But it elevates slowly and is almost deafening. Here are a few things I have noticed. If I open any door to the vehicle, the noise subsides. Once I close the door again, the noise starts back. My wife stayed inside the Pilot one time when we were parked at a stop sign. I wanted to hear the sound from outside of the vehicle as I thought it may be coming from the engine. Guess What? I could not hear anything outside the car and my wife would Nod her head from inside the vehicle that the inside of the car had the deep vibration (Stereo Bass Like) noise inside. We also told the dealership about it, but could not reproduce it at the time. It is very annoying and happens at least every 2 - 3 days. If I hear it now, I usually just open the door until I start moving again and it goes away.

Has anyone experienced this with their Pilot? >>>>>>
  • chrylsersrt8chrylsersrt8 Member Posts: 31
    I would think with the traction control and f/r weight dist the front drive pilot would be more than adequate for most inclement situations
    Anyone had any problems with the FWD?

I would like to get the FWD for the cyl deactv as well as no vibration issue.
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    Just read your post from 4-9-07. I am the guy who takes the drive shaft off in the summer to lessen the vib. Wish I checked in to this forum before I again took off the shaft! I too had Mich. Cross Terrains put on with 3000 miles to help with the problem to no avail. Mine is 2004. My calls to Honda back in January of 05 were ignored and it was a very frustrating time. I think everyone was in denial. So thanks for your pursuit to a solution to this, while I just gave up. Will order the brackets today. Just wish Honda would have been honest with all of us for the last 4 years.
    As you noted, a little honesty from Honda would have been appreciated.

Having put on a significant amount of miles with the brackets I would call the fix a 97% solution (in my opinion). It may not be absolutely perfect but it is significantly better and worth every bit of the $50.

Hope all goes well
  • smokyblueridgesmokyblueridge Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone reported this vibration in 07 AWD?
    I am/was planning to buy one but am holding back because of this issue.
    I test drove a couple and didnt notice any marked vibrations but that was before I read this thread.

If all it takes it parts worth $50.00 to fix this(as reported in different posts) then I wonder whether Honda has taken care of it this year.
    I don't believe this vibration crap. Honda makes thousand of these pilots and if it was a serious issue, it would have warranted a recall. I have an 07 and am very satisfied with my vehicle. If you look through various forums, people always complain about every vehicle and if you were to read these complaints you will end up taking the bus or train around.

You have to test drive yourself and make up your mind. I am sure people are going to jump in and bite my head off for saying this. But remember, some people get picky about little things and the only way to satisfy them is to build a custom build car exactly to their specifications.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You have to test drive yourself and make up your mind.

Test driving a vehicle does not preclude the possibility that the car or the one you actually buy has problems. Also, the fact that your car does not exhibit a particular problem does not mean other cars do not have that problem. I think it's bit presumptuous to suggest that those desribing a problem they are experiencing is merely excessive pickiness. People generally do not go out of their way to find solutions to nonexistent problems - at least not outside the world of politics! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mer66mer66 Member Posts: 14
    I agree that this is in no way a case of a couple customers with excessive pikiness. These are people who love their Pilots, except for the vibration. At Hondapilot.org there is a well known thread of over 50 pages of posts about this issue:

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=be8ea97d53fdde85e641c472b0996d9a&threadid=4117&highlight=vibration
  • chrylsersrt8chrylsersrt8 Member Posts: 31
    In a Honda vibration is NEVER NORMAL (especially when it is only at certain speeds)

A honda rep told me this himself

Whatever the cause honda should issue a recall or at least a TSB to replace the tires
  • smokyblueridgesmokyblueridge Member Posts: 5
    In past week have test driven 4 different-after reading this thread.
    Interestingly found repeated 'vibration' in only one vehicle.It did occur at 70mph.I hope I am NOT imagining this.
    Actually that vehicle matched my ext/int color preference(only one on the lot)and deal was nearly on phone however I declined based on above experience after test drive.
    Have now made a deal on another Pilot after a long and satisfying test drive.
    Hope that future will be vibration free.
    Sales person seemed to acknowledge that vibration can be a problem but.....
    tidester,

Do you really think that if this was such a big deal as people make it out to be, a company like Honda would completely ignor e it if a 50 dollar part fixed it???

You and I are entitled to our opinions, but the way I look at it, something don't add up with this vibration defect thing.
  • mer66mer66 Member Posts: 14
    The problem is that in most all of the cases it is not the matter of a 50 dollar part. A lot of people have put a lot of time, money and effort into ridding their Pilots of this vibration. Some have found a partial fix but many have just had to learn to live with it. Anyone considering a Pilot would be well advised to take it out for a good long test drive on a smooth road at around 70 mph. Believe me, you don't want this problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Do you really think that if this was such a big deal as people make it out to be, a company like Honda would completely ignor e it if a 50 dollar part fixed it???

I have no idea whether Honda is "completely ignoring" anything and doubt that they would. I do know that people have expressed concerns about a particular problem and just because you haven't experienced it is insufficient reason to conclude that a problem does not exist. Surely, if Honda receives enough complaints they will remedy the situation.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    I am somewhat set on Pilot and this issue (vibrations) is the only things which keeps me from pulling the trigger. I just wander how successful are folks going to the dealer and actually test driving at 70mph+ ? I recall while back when I went to another dealer (GM), I was told that we could not go on the feeway. Next day I went to Toyota and they gave me the brand new car for the entire day, even before negotiating.

I have never owned a Honda and plan on getting quotes over iternet first. Should I tell them that the price is contingent on the freeway test drive ? Do Honda dealers give you a car for a day before actually buying ??
  • feet2firefeet2fire Member Posts: 13
    Hi, thanks for your interesting post. Last year when we bought an AWD 2006 Pilot, having read the posts about the vibration issue, I knew I would have to test drive the specific car I was going to buy to try to keep from ending up with a car with that annoying 70 MPH vibration. When I took the test drive in the specific car I wanted to buy, the Honda salesman accompanied me. I think I made him a little nervous as I took his dealership's brand new shiny Pilot up to 70-75 MPH on a deserted back road......but I had to know if that specific Pilot had the vibration problem since the problem seems to be vehicle-specific (some AWDs have it and some AWDs don't)......well it was pretty smooth on that back road, nothing coming through the steering wheel, pedals, etc, so I bought that car that day.....20,000 miles later it's still a very smooth running vehicle at all speeds (at least up to 80 or so on rare occasions). Good luck with your plans to buy a new vehicle. feet2fire
  • zegzeg Member Posts: 7
    driving to work every day, 60 miles round trip on beltway; subtle but constant short-interval vibration does exist, you could feel it from lower back, thighs, bit less from steering wheel; If you run into certain rough pavement, it seems amplify the vibration, as if the shocks/struts have no absorption of any kind. Took it to dealership at 1500 miles, they claimed 3 out of 4 tires are out of balance, but it did not solve the vibration a bit. Need to go back again. For us unlucky few, just hope to resolve it soon so we don't look like fools to spend 30K on some whole body message machinery. Individual differences do exist among these millions of cars. The service rep don't believe subframe braces are ever needed, we'd find out.

65-75 does seem to magnify the symptoms as though the whole truck has a resonance at the speed, but the vibration could be felt here and there in other speeds. Steering wheel vibrated to lesser degree compared to lower back and thighs could feel unless tire pressure is way too high
    The service rep is in denial or is totally ignorant. And... he/she has an incentive NOT to tell you there is an issue.

If it becomes an irritant, spend the $50 and 35 minutes. No guarantees but it worked on mine.
  • zegzeg Member Posts: 7
    The technician acknowledged the sensation when both of us drove around 40-50 miles. He mentioned in the same week, there are 3 other customers complaining about the exact same thing. Parts are on the way, the rep agreed to put it on for me as addon, good attitude from service, but not from Honda.
  • switch61switch61 Member Posts: 2
    At hondapilot.org, there is another thread related to this issue. Some people found the fix mentioned in this thread to help with or resolve the problem.

I've not experienced the shimmy/vibration issue, but I did order the part and install it, and found that it did help keep the rear a bit stiffer. For $45, it was well worth it.

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14481&perpage=15&pag- enumber=1
  • yooperbillyooperbill Member Posts: 1
    I lived with the problem on my 2005 Honda Pilot for 3 years and 42,000 miles. The dealer said they all vibrate and to live with it. Yesterday I bought Michelin LTX tires and life is good. It drives, sounds and feels better that when it was new, A LOT BETTER. Why they put the crap tires on in the first place amazes me. I had decided never to buy another Honda again, but now I will rethink this. :)
  • solosolo Member Posts: 48
    I reported the vibration defect on this forum 3 years ago and my service manager saying it was the rear driveshaft ( which I remove in the summer) . I also followed "ksayers" post and installed the $50.00 stabilizers. And I got rid of the lousy Goodyear infinities and put on a set of Michelin cross terrains. Each step helped make the ride better but the annoying subtle vibe was always there. I think I realize now what the problem is. Do you all know the buffeting effect on our Pilots when the windows (especially rear) are opened at speeds as low as 35mph? Well I think that same aerodynamic effect is the vibe we feel at 70mph. It is a poor air flow design that shakes the car. The pilot is a dream around town up to 50mph, then it becomes a very poor highway ride
  • 76697669 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of a 2006 Honda Pilot that has 11,000 miles on it. I have not driven it as of yet, but will definitely take it on the freeway at varying speeds before making a final decision.
    My question is, will the vibration problem which has plagued this SUV (and its owners) be evident right away, at all times or is it something cn mask for a short amount of time (like enough time to make a sale)?
    I was sure I had found the perfect minivan alternative...now I am questioning my decision.
    From a number of posts, some people claim to be affected and many others not. From the posts it doesnt' seem like something that you can make go away for a short period. So if the car you test drive doesn't have it, I would assume it is okay.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    I own a 2006 Pilot that I bought last year. It has about 16000 miles on it now and I have not had that problem, so far.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I still have not yet have felt any vibration other than my 4 year old giving me a Shiat-su when she gets ticked about something. At least it's not the "Dreaded JEEP Death Wobble".

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • danielle3danielle3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2006 Pilot EX and am experiencing the same issue. It sounds like deep bass coming from the rear of the car and only occurs when the car is stopped. As soon as the car accelerates or the driver's side door is opened, the noise subsides. The sound is almost deafening and I'd like to get this figured out. I've had it looked at twice now at the local Honda dealership with no luck. Were you able to find a solution with this sound in your Pilot??
  • floordudefloordude Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought one of the remaining 08 Pilot SE's on the lot at my local dealer in Houston. Noticed the bass sound right away - took it in and they said it was a defect in the ANC system (active noise cancellation) and they fixed it, no questions asked.

Hope that helps!
  • npilot06npilot06 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having this exact same problem with my 06 pilot. Did you ever find the cause?
  • ggpumariegaggpumariega Member Posts: 1

I just got a 2014 2WD Honda Pilot and detected the vibration shortly after getting on the freeway. The vibration occurs between 75-95 mph. Went to the dealer, they said one tire was out of balance. However, while slightly better, the vibration is still there. I also hear the low pitch noise, which I believe it comes from the overdrive.

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907

It's possible that one (or more) of the tires are "out of round". I put that phrase in quotes because it's a bit more complicated than that.

But it's also possible it is something else.

So do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel or through the seat? Rotate the tires front to rear and see if you get a change. That will help determine if the problem is in the tires (or wheels) or somewhere else.

• verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19

I have a 2009 4WD. I had the same vibration problem 2 years ago. After getting new tires and alignment (from Firestone), the problem went away. Last week I took the car into local dealer for 60k service, and the vibration comes back when I go up to 70MPH. I called the service tech and he said Honda doesn't recommend alignment on my car. He asks me to bring it back it but with work, I don't have to time. If it won't cause any other issues, I'd just have to live with it. This is the first time I own a car for longer than 3 years, and I've been very happy with the car except for this issue.

• mattcat12mattcat12 Member Posts: 1

I purchased a certified used 2011 touring Pilot with 23k miles on it and it had Michelin tires on it. I was getting the car maintained prior to a trip to NH, 2 tires were bad, had Firestone tires put on, didn't really feel any issues, then I started to notice the vibration at 70mph. Took to local Honda dealer, 2 front bushings were leaking and replaced under warranty, still no help. after several alignments, wheel balancing, new rotors, pads in the front, I had Firestone upgrade the tires to Bridgestones, no help..... 70mph, vibration happens, feels like the balancing is out, but they do all the same things, road force balance etc. Made a trip to IN took it to a dealership in Fishers IN and the service person had the front end checked out again, nothing wrong, he did suggest going back to the Michelines.... right now , cannot afford to do it, taking car back to Firestone for additional balancing, etc. I hope the previous posts about the stabilizing kits have been used on a Pilot that is close to the same model as mine. Look forward to anyone that has the same issue, and had a fix that worked!

• jnthnbggjnthnbgg Member Posts: 1

My wife and I recently purchased a 2005 Honda pilot and drove many of them. Every one that I drove that had the vibration I took to a local dealer that had the Hunter Road force system (GSP9700) HOWEVER I made sure they had StraighTrak LFM Integration. Not all shops will have this and this is key. I took two 2004s, one 2006, and a 2005 pilot to my local dealer who has this exact system and viola no matter what tire was on the pilots they fixed it. I do work for them so I got all these for free and I did them all just to see if it was a issue with the car or the balancing tech. Every time this setup fixed the vibration. I will say I tried another local dealer that had this same system and they did not fix it so there is a level of knowledge with techs that has to go with and it may not be all pilots that this fixes but I have not run into one yet. The person I purchased my pilot from works at a dealer that has this setup and we never have had a problem with any vibration. So not all balancing systems are equal and not all techs are equal.
    I have sent about a dozen other people with pilots to the dealer now and same result they are lifers at that dealership now. Hope this helps some people on here and here is a link to find a local or nearest dealer who has this technology. Just make sure the dealer has the StraighTrak system listed at the store/dealer.

Hope it helps