Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Audiophile Radio & MP3

trackoholictrackoholic Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ford
I just purchased a new Ford Escape with the 6 disc Audiophile stereo system which is suppose to allow an MP3 player to be used with it. Anyone know where theinput jack is located ?

Although the owners manual references the use of MP3 with the radio it does not tell you where to find the input jack?

Jim

Comments

• bamjimbamjim Member Posts: 2
    ihave a 2001 ford escape with a mach sound system. recently the radio goes on but no sound. i have volume lines,stations change but no sound.
    if i shut the ignition off then start it again in about 8 to 10 seconds later the radio lights up and the sound is there.
    has anyone had a similiar problem and if so how was it solved ?
    thanks
    bamjim
  • chitown777chitown777 Member Posts: 13
    I've been looking on mine and have yet to find it. I have the exact same car, and stereo. If you find it could you let me know? I'm going to ask some friends with the same car. I was also wondering if you can add an amp and subwoofers to the factory unit? I would hate to replace the head unit with a new one. I like the fact that it takes 6 discs =)
  • trackoholictrackoholic Member Posts: 3
    As far as I can tell this unit does not offer any input connection for external devices.

All of the manufactures, Ford especially used very creative wording and selling of an MP3 ready radio to aid in the selling of their cars.

I find it amazing that their top of the line (so they call it) radio in this era does not have a simple input connection for an IPOD. Very poor thinking on their part.

I've already replaced mine with an Alpine unit and next time around I will not consider purchasing a Ford vehicle.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This means that you can save and MP3 file to a writeable CD-Rom in MP3 format and play it back on the radio.

This means you can get a lot more music onto each writeable CD.

Mark
    Almost all other 07 Ford have an mp3 input jack and the Escape gets it for 08.

Mark.
    I want to add an amp and some speakers and just wondering if the 2006 limited has RCA cable's coming out of the factory stereo. If so, how many pre-outs? :confuse:
    the radio is easy to pull out if you want to take a look. There is a tool from crutchfield.com.
    I guess the only way to hook up the IPOD, or an MP3 player, is to buy a transmitter for $20-30
  • pete07pete07 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone! I did much searching before posting this. I hope this is something simply solved and not to long winded. My wife and I just purchased a 07 XLT which we've only owned since 2/14. We love the new truck and everything so far about it. I run into a problem with the stereo that I can't seem to solve. The radio won't seem to recognize the the MP3 files on the disk. The setup is stock as noted and the files were burnt to 2 different types of media Maxell CD-R music and HP CD-R. I've never had a coaster from either brand. I wrote both disks twice using Windows Media Player and Acoustica MP3 cd burner. When the disk is installed in the player. I get a "bad disk " message or only the first 3 songs on any disk that it reads play. I currently have a Alpine head unit on my bike and a Kenwood player on the house system and all disks read and play fine on these units. I've changed the write speeds while writing new disks with no luck, still the same. I have noticed that when pushing the menu button while in disk mode and trying to play a recorded disk that the player won't change from file to folder mode. I'm almost positive it's something I'm doing wrong. My wife and I have read and reread the instruction manual to no avail. I'm thinking it's possibly the media?? I've never had a problem before with this media in probably 5 or 6 different players. I hope someone has a suggestion as to something I missed or am missing. Thank you all for your time Pete
    Try burning on a CD+r and see if it works
    You can buy a greatr used factory radio on EBAY or have it checked out at Best Buy
    Thank you CT777, I think, I got it figured out. I was burning at default speeds. I went in and did some adjustments with the write speed and test burnt the files prior to a real burn. It seemed to work. The disk worked fine! It took about 40 minutes to burn a cd but it worked. Thank you for your response very much. I just got it figured out last night 2/21. :shades: We be styl'in
    Try not to use to many nested folders as well.

Mark.
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 4
    Pete07. Hey bought my wife an 07 XLT as well. Same issue. Which CD Brand is working for you?
    CD-Rs or CD+Rs?
    Which program are you using, just the Windows?

We've tried the slower burning rate before, but that's done nothing.

Thanks,
    --Stephen
    Hey falcon, The software I'm using is Acoustica MP3 cd burner and can be found here link title. I found this program very straight forward and easy to use. I'm using Maxell CD-R music 80 minute 700 mb media for my recordings. As far as the setup. I set the software up to test all the selected music prior to burning the cd. I burnt it at 18x but the actual burn speed was around 13.5x. I've burnt 4 cd's like this and haven't had a problem since. Each cd was burnt with folders for each album with no sub-folder. Also in the radio setup go to the menu button after the cd is in and read, and set it to folder. You will be able to scan through your folders and the folder names will appear on the radio screen. Hope this helps. You can download a trial version of the cd burner at the above website. It works very similar but I think better than Windows media player. It will search your machine for all music when it's installed. Let me know if this helps at all. Lastly, I have a pretty fast computer but with the aforementioned setup in the software. The whole burning process took about 40 minutes after the songs were setup for the cd. Pete :shades: We be Jammin
    Thanks a lot man. We will try that tonight. One last question...before this turns into a "how to burn session".

In your process are you burning from "Album (.cda) to MP3s" or are you taking already ripped MP3s and burning those to the CDs? I'll try both in case, but curious...
    Ripping from original cd with acoustica and burning mp3
    Possible we got a dud. Going to force the dealer to have someone inspect it and prove it one way or the other.
    The first "Bad Disk" my wife burned was a "Bad Disk" in my 2005 ZX4 focus (bought same day as our 07 escape...). Tonight we tried a few techniques that Pete mentioned. One disk with folders, one without. 16x speed burn, on a different software.
    Both work great in my Focus...not at all in the Escape.

We're now trying the "Acoustica." If it works I'll post again and eat crow. If I don't post....then I'm going postal I'm sure. :mad:

Thanks Again
    ....yep....a big huge helping of Humble Crow Pie.

Acoustica is a Godsend. Single Tracks, Folders, our Escape, or our Focus. Works like a charm. My guess it's in the natural rates of the burn and some other things.

either way....very grateful Pete07. Thanks!
    --Stephen
    Good deal, Glad I could help you out. I went through the same thing....almost exactly. My daughter has a 07 Explorer. I was trying mine in both systems. Don't know exactly why MS-MP recording's wouldn't work. I thought, I had a bad player also. Have fun, Pete :shades:
  • mosaicmikemosaicmike Member Posts: 1
    the cd player says cd error just recently 4 cds wouldnt eject and still wont play any cds at what do i do is there a recall on this model or is it a human error please help its my ex wifes and all i want to do is help fix this one thing and i will be off her ---- list for at least a month
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you have discs that are still stuck, there are some tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD Guide.
  • lokiworkslokiworks Member Posts: 1
    The input jack is on the bottom right of the centre console. It is hard to spot, but just look as far down the console as possible, on the right, just above the little area where there is a rubber? mat to put stuff on.

Hope you can find it. I just ordered my 08 Escape, can't wait. It was mandatory for it to have that feature, so I made sure it was there!
  • trackoholictrackoholic Member Posts: 3
    I took a look and I don't see any indication of a hookup on the 07 Escape. Maybe they added on the 08

Ford is so far behind in the electronics field, well I shouldn't pick on them, it's a US auto maker thing. They are never on par with foreign makers in technology. All they do is copy years later. This is my last US car.

As usual the dealer said the Escape had it. Typical.
  • chucklesvachucklesva Member Posts: 9
    i just got my 2008 escape hybrid and i want to replace the single cd player with the 6 disc player.it is the oem radio. can someone explain to me how i remover the orginal radio
    thanks
    chuck
  • redgare1redgare1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a "trip tunes" hard wired Ipod hook up to install on my 07 Escape w/ single CD ford radio. I need to find out the color code for the acc lead and the ground, which I assume is the black.
    Redgare1
  • fries1fries1 Member Posts: 12
    I have an 07 Excape XLT w/6cd/mp3 with sat button. in the menus it has an adjust for speed sensitive volume. when I make an adjustment in the menu my drving volume does not change. My dealer says it doesnt have the option installed, but why would it be in the unit's menu if its not installed? Am I getting the run around from my dealer or is this possible. Thanks in advance for any advice. :shades:
  • bpikebpike Member Posts: 1
    I was able to resolve this issue with my 2003 Ford Escape XLT with 6 Disc CD. I too was getting "CD ERROR", "INITIALIZING" and "NO CD" msgs on the display - I was able to fix with the following steps...

[1] With vehicle off and keys not in accessories position, access the fuse panel (driver left foot kickplate trim piece) and pull fuse in slot #27.

[2] Start the vehicle/power accessories

[3] Turn off the vehicle/disable power to accessories

[4] Replace the fuse... it may spark (mine did) as the Radio/CD unit immediately draws power

You should here the CD mechanism moving/realigning and clicking.

[5] Start the vehicle or power the accessories - you should now be able to cycle through and eject discs (I had 6 loaded). I then tested by repeatedly loading, playing and ejecting a single disc (I have not tried multi discs yet though).
  • dogteam1dogteam1 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 02' Focus with the 6CD Ford radio and it would not eject the CD's. I now have an 03' Escape with the 6 CD, AM/FM on both, and this radio will not push out my burnt CD's or my regular CD's that I purchase already made from the stores. If I took out the radio and tipped it upside down and put it back in the car, the radio would eject. The Focus was much easier, I took out the radio and it did not have a top to it so I could just reach in and pull out the CD's. I have used the popsicle stick on my current Escape Ford radio and finally got fed up with the Ford brand of radio and purchased an Alpine single CD head unit and it works every time. Do not think too much of the Ford radios or whatever brand that they are installing in their vehicles.
  • teek1972teek1972 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    please help me, my ford escape 2002 cd changer, automatically changes volume balancing, cd, ejects, and does crazy stuff byitself. even when i turn it off, it still starts byitself and start doing it again
  • hotdog2001hotdog2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have had 2 Audio units installed. The last one does not say audiophile on it like the other 2. They told me that they could only get refurbished ones when the last one broke the same day it was installed. When I picked up the vehicle from the dealer there was a new one in it without the audiophile logo on it...just a plain black face plate and it does not sound as good as the original one. I paid for the audiophile system. Are they trying to trick me into thinking this is what I paid for or is it just the plain ole system that is standard :(
    UM you haven't heard of Sync? Sync is the most advanced auto electronics interface on the market today at ANY PRICE!.

As for future audio systems, Ford will introduce its first "Sound by Sony" system this summoer on the 2009 F-150 which will filter to the rest of its fleet.

Mark.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to interview buyers of models equipped with Ford Sync. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, February 1 with your daytime contact information and a sentence or two about why you purchased Sync.
  • rfrankishrfrankish Member Posts: 1
    My 6-disc CD changer does weird things. It will not allow me to choose which disc plays or let me change from one song to the other. All I can do is fast forward to get to the track I want. The tone control doesn;t work either. It also will sometimes refuse to eject a disk. I have tried disconnecting the battery terminal but it did nothing. Suggestions? Thanks.
  • freddogfreddog Member Posts: 1
  • johnlujohnlu Member Posts: 1
    Please help!
    I tried the suggestion by bpike. Not only the CD still stuck but my car can not even start!!!

I don't know what's wrong. Is the fuse broke? I need get a new fuse?

Please somebody help!!!!!!!!!
  • w9swww9sww Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 escape and would like to use the spare tire well for 2 way radios and a "secure" storage area. Has any one heard of ,or made an external spare tire carrier for he escape ? tnx Bill
  • mylikescmylikesc Member Posts: 1
    hey i have this same problem and same car but there is no slot 27 please help me
  • romanelliromanelli Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Escape with a 6 disc changer. The radio works fine, but the CD's will not play. I can put them in and take them out with no problem, but all of a sudden, they will not play. The CD's are not homemade discs.

Help?

Thanks!
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    If you are still under warranty, get it replaced through Ford. if you are out of warranty, don't bother with it and buy yourself an aftermarket head unit. My 2004 Escape went through two stock units with same problems in addition to the volume raising to full blast when trying to turn it down. I replaced both stock headunits while under warranty, but after the third one started to act up, out came the stock unit and in went a Pioneer head unit with USB iPod interface....needless to say "loving it".
  • cadet99stevecadet99steve Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 ford escape xlt with the audiophile package, and i was wandering if there is an aux port somewhere, that maybe i could plug an ipod/mp3 player into.
    Nope...I tried doing this about a year ago. Only FM modulators which are crap. Ended up pulling out stock head unit and replaced it with a Pionner headunit that had iPod connectivity.
  • jlevijlevi Member Posts: 2
    Appreciate any help received. 2004 Escape with 6 cd changer, factory install - 2nd one but this one's been working for 5 years. Just the other day it stopped working but I can still load and eject cd's, when I press the menu button I get the time display and can set hours and minutes. So it seems to have power but no sound, neither cd's nor radio play. Just to be sure I changed the radio and audio fuses but nothing. I took the unit out and disconnected everything so it's free, and I'm at a standstill. Is there a way to test the unit ? I'm not too savvy with electronics but can follow instructions. Thing is, I don't want to buy another unit if its not the unit but some wiring problem - there are alot of wires going into the unit ! How do you track down a short -not likely I'll be able to do that and don't really want to pay to have it done, would rather replace the whole thing. If I bought another tuner/cd player, how in the world does one hook that up with all the wiring currently there ? So....many quesitons - first I guess if anyone can tell me how to find out if its the unit or some short somewhere, I'd appreciate it - and anything else provided. Thanks
    Bad Head Unit. If you had a short on the speakers it would most like be only one or two speakers that are not expelling sound. Since you get no sound out of any...it is very unlikely that you have a short, what you have my friend is a bad head unit.
  • jlevijlevi Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response. A friend once said there's no such thing as bad head but clearly he was wrong ! So this sounds like replacing the radio would be the way to go - get a unit plug it in and I should be good to go ? Thanks again -
  • dlmertsdlmerts Member Posts: 1
    my Escape is a 07 and I put in 2 cd's (4 were already in), then nothing would happen, wouldn't eject or play. Kept saying eject error. I tried the fuse thing, didn't work but maybe I didn't leave it out long enough. I then held the eject button and pounded on the dashboard. Next thing you know 3-6 were ejecting. I had to push the eject button and pound again and 1 and 2 popped out. I am so excited, figured I was going to have to take it in somewhere (and pay the library for their cd's, 1 and 2 were theirs).
    Good to hear. I added that trick to the Guide. :shades:

Are you going to trust it with any more discs now?
  • presariopresario Member Posts: 1
    l left my sunroof open when l was gone for a few hours . While l was gone we had a down pour of rain. When l returned my escape was covered in water and my radio and cd player won't work . It has been 4 days now . We have checked the fuses and they seem ok . Will l have to buy a new stereo system??
    if anyone can help please let me know.
    thanks
  • kasebastkasebast Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Escape will not work. When I try to eject I get a CD error. I tried pounding on the dash as recommended by others, but nothing happens. I want to take the radio/cd changer out of the dash but I don't know how to remove it. Please help! Thanks
    Try Crutchfield or InstallDr. They have generic (and maybe more specific) instructions on how to pull radios and decks out. Links are in the Stuck CD guide.