Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems

Comments

• caique_stitchcaique_stitch Member Posts: 1
    May I ask how many miles were on your vehicle when the tranny failed? I'm facing a similar situation. Thanks!
  • tmock13tmock13 Member Posts: 38
    :mad: I purchased the 02 Odyssey new and have faithfully followed the maintenance scheduled as outlined in the manual. But guess what, with only 41200 miles, the check engine light came up. I had it diagnosed at two repair shops and both had the code P0730 "incorrect gear ratio". The auto technicians explain to me that this code involves the transmission. For the years 1999-2004, the technicians informed to me that they have seen quite a few problems involving the transmissions of Honda Odysseys. I called up American Honda and they informed me that there is no such extended warranty on the transmissions for 2002-2004 Odyssey The extended warranty applies to only 1999-2001 Odyssey. I question why this is the case since the transmission used is basically the same for this generation of Odysseys. Their response to me was that there was a recall for 2002 Transmissions and that an oil jet fuel kit would be installed to fix the transmission problems. I did have the oil jet fuel kit installed back in 2004 and the transmission today is having problems. Dealer told me that it will cost me $5000 to $6000 for another transmission. I chose to go to AAMCO and have it fix and it will cost me $3100 with a 1yr/12000 miles warranty. For a known defect as posted by so many people, Honda should take care of their loyal fan base. Just google Honda Transmission problems for 1999-2004 Odysseys and you'll see there are many owners in my dilemma. Also, Consumer Reports also showed many owners complaining about tranny problems for this generation of Odyssey.
    I will never buy HONDA again and will jump ship to Toyota. The Toyota Sienna is beginning to look quite attractive. :mad:
    To all Odyssey owners with transmission problems, is there a lawsuit out there that covers 2002-2004? I am aware of one for 1999-2001 odysseys. Also, what are other Odyssey owners doing about this problem? The thought of having only 41200 miles and having the transmission fixed out of pocket just infuriates me!! Hope to hear back from you all. Thanks...
  • shultfamshultfam Member Posts: 3
    I too just suffered the all too painful experience of replacing the transmission on my 2003 Honda Odyssey which broke down on the highway while we were out of town. It cost $4100 to replace. So frustrating to find out this problem is widespread. I have owned three Hondas and this will be my last. I do hope there is some sort of class action lawsuit.
    Here is some consolation news, call American Honda Cust. Service 800- 999-1009 and report your problem like I did. They will take your info and assign you a case number. A case manager will call you within the next two days and work things out with you. My case manager acknowledged to me that there are numerous problems and complaints regarding the 1999-2004 transmissions on the Odysseys. Honda has the extended warranty till 100K on only the 1999-2001 models. For the 2002 to 2004 models, Honda is handling on a case by case basis. After paying $3100 to AAMCO, I was told to fax the receipt showing it was paid for and a partial reimbursement will be made. The case manager refer to this as the "Good Will Gesture" since my Odyssey has only 41000 miles and my vin # was clean with no known history when they checked it out. I will be getting back a $1000 from Honda for my loss. I am still a bit upset that I still had to spend an unnecessary $2100 but it is what it is. :(
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    This Honda infamous tranny problem is like when Honda cut one of your leg off and pay you to install fake leg and even want to find excuses not to during the complaint process?

The cause is Honda prematured tranny failure made you $2,100 pocket lighter and Honda does not take full responsibility only reimbursed you $1,000. Think also the inconvenience, the other protential problems that the failed tranny leads to.

I got a lemon from Chrysler's Turismo in 1986 and I swore Chrysler won't get my business any more. The only way Chrysler will get my business is there's no other brand except Chrysler in this world.
  • shultfamshultfam Member Posts: 3
    thank you...I will do that. I don't know if they will do anything for me since I had so many miles on my car when it happened (120,000)....but it is worth the call. Appreciate the info!
  • vanmom6vanmom6 Member Posts: 12
    HOnda did pay 50% of my new transmission, but it was anightmare! It tooks two weeks of haggling with them, going over my story over andover.. they lost my case once and made me reopen it. ALL because they put in a faulty product. I paid top dollar for my 2001 Odyssey ( I was on a wait list they were so popular), but I expected stellar reliability and great customer service. Got neither! Very disappointed in Honda!
  • birch1999birch1999 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me about the law suit for the 1999-2001 odyssey? We have 1999 odyeesey and it has 71, 532 miles on it and we were told that it is not under warranty. Our 10 years will be August 27, 2009. Any information would be great. We took it to the dealers today, and was told the replacement of the transmission would be about 4K. which is too much for me...
    :cry:
    For the 1999-2001 models, call Honda Cust. Service 1-800-999-1009 and explain your situation. They may be able to let you know how the 10 year/100000 miles warranty would apply to your situation. Also, asked the cust. rep, to provide you a case number and that you wish to be contacted by a case manager. You will get a response within 48 hours. The case manager will tell you exactly what you should do and how much they will cover on your repairs.

Also check out this link and provide your vin# to see if your vehicle was part of the lawsuit settlement against Honda for the faulty transmissions on the 1999-2001 Odyssey models.
    http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php

Hope this helps you. :)
  • bullfrogjimbullfrogjim Member Posts: 1
    Jet_tester
    I have a eary similar transmission problem with my 2002 odyssey. Dealer tells me the computer is not registering a code. I have take 2 technicians out for ride with me to experience the shudder at 35 to 40 mph. You can also feel it around 20 and 60 but it is very short and mild. I would like to know what test your technician ran and how he recorded the problem. Although I have told Honda dealer and Honda Care what I thought it was they tell me without a code, there is nothing wrong.
    Thanks for your help
  • zoltarozoltaro Member Posts: 3
    I am aware of the transmission issues on the 99-03 Odysseys. I once owned a '01 that I had to replace the transmission on and then about 10K later it was making a clunking sound when putting it in reverse so I traded it in. My question is this:
    I am once again in need of a mini van and I have some very good friends who are offering to sell me their 1999 Odyssey. BUT it is in need of a new transmission (no surprise). My friends got a quote of $1800-2200 from a local shop (not dealer) to rebuild the transmission that's in there now. The van has about 135,000 miles on it and is in otherwise excellent shape. These friends are the original owners and have taken excellent care of the van. I have no doubt about that. If they get it fixed they'll sell it to us for about $3900 (and they're willing to take payments!). I want to know if it would be wise for us to buy this van? What are the chances that the rebuilt tranny will go out again in another 10K miles? Does it make a difference if the old one is rebuilt as opposed to a new one being put in? And when "new" ones are put in aren't they also remanufactured? If we could get a 100K out of it that would be OK, but not 10K. What do you all think?
  • dukeshahdukeshah Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

I am a 2nd owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey and had to replace the tranny at about 105,000, around March of 2008.

I did not realize that Honda America was helping with the reimbursement at the time I replaced the tranny (my bad, I know I should have consulted this group).

Is there any chance I can get some of the monies for my past expenses? If so, what is the best way to go about requesting the reimbursement?

Thx,
    Dukeshah
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    Zoltaro: run, do not walk, away from any Ody that is in the date ranges of '99 to probably today. The'99 you speak of will likely have another tranny failure in a few thousand miles or so, and then will have another, and probably another. 135K miles on the first transmission is a miracle, and the rebuild will take away whatever magic it had originally. I'm on my fourth tranny on the Ody that I bought new and treated like it was made of glass. The first two were replaced under the lawsuit extended warranty and the third one was by the grace of a helpful service manager. That one cose me labor at $600, and I did it only to get the 36K mile warranty. This van is the love of my automotive life, but in a year or so, it will be gone.....best of luck...G3guy
  • tgwgtgwg Member Posts: 4
    How long did your transmissions last after you had them repaired? I am having a problem, but I am at 150,000 miles now. Trying to decide to repair or buy something else.
    TG
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I my 2002 transmission replaced at 180,605 kms and the van is currently at 233,000 kma. I am planning to keep till the van dies or it's too expensive to keep it.
    Although with today's high prices for vehicles I will try to keep forever. I am retired on a fixed income.
    I also life the design!
  • g3guyg3guy Member Posts: 31
    Check with www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) to see how much your van is worth in your local market. Then calculate what else will be needed to get another 20,000 miles or so out of it (transmission repair, timing belt, brakes, and so on). You'll have to estimate the trend line for the value in the next couple of years to determine the probable values at points during that time. When the cost gets close to the value, sell it (as P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute", and its worth more now than it will ever be), trade it in, or donate it to charity, but in some way get rid of it. Don't give it to anyone you care for, or anyone whom you want to keep as a friend. Good luck. In my case, the first transmission (factory, in the new vehicle), lasted about 6 months, then I fought Honda for a year before they admitted that there was something wrong with it. The second one lasted two years, but died quickly, and was replaced by Honda as a result of the class-action lawsuit. The third one is going strong at 6 months and about 3000 miles, but the vehicle will be traded before the 3-year of 36K mile warranty is over. What a shame, as I really love this van.
  • jpatrickincjpatrickinc Member Posts: 1
    first trans replaced at around 50k miles. 103k miles now and this trans is beginning to slip. am I expected to replace these every 50k miles or so? does anyone have any advice on getting Honda to replace or cover at least cover some of the cost?
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Sorry about yout transmission! Just about everyone on this forum has had the same problem - more or less mileage or kilometers. What I fail to understand is why are you asking about getting advice when if you use the search tools in this forum the question you are asking has already been asked and many people have answered. If you are not sure how- enter your make, then model, then go. Then enter keyword(s) within this particular forum (i.e. 'getting Honda to replace').
    Most replacements are the transmissions.
    Your best bet is to call Honda Cust. Service 800-999-1009 and explain your situation. Have your vin # ready because Honda cust service will ask for it. My 02 Odyssey transmission went bad with only 42k miles and incurred a $3200 bill from AAMCO Transmission. I called Honda and they reimburse me $1000 for the problem . Honda acknowledge that there is a major problem with the transmissions for the 1999-2004 Odyssey. They are handling problems on a case by case basis.
    Since your van has 103k miles, your best bet is to repair it at AAMCO and purchase the additional 3 yr/36000 miles warranty or even a lifetime warranty, if you plan to keep the van for awhile.
    It is just unfortunate that us Honda Odyssey owners of 1999-2004 have to deal with this transmission problem.
  • dukeshahdukeshah Member Posts: 10
    I called Honda America, and they seemed to ignore the transmission problem (that was fixed by me about 1 year ago, at 92,000 miles).

I am thinking of contacting a lawyer or going to a small business court for past reimbursement. Any thoughts?
  • jhazardjhazard Member Posts: 1
    Your problem sounds almost identical to mine. My 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L minivan makes forceful violent resonating shakes during gradual acceleration around 40-50 MPH and 1.7-2.5 K RPM. Sometimes, it's just rough engine vibration. The shakes are enough to make my drink jump out of it's glass. Happens on gradual acceleration or moderate uphill slope. Happens about every day, or 4 times/week, within about 11 miles. Appears that gears not yet shifted, but when rough, RPM changes as if engine is fighting itself. ECO light is not lit. I can stop shakes by letting go of acceleration. When just rough, I can stop it after a few seconds of harder acceleration.

Similar to you, problem is exacerbated when going over a slight incline that puts slightly more pressure on the engine/transmission. The shakes would not happen for the dealer service, just the rough vibration. I'm trying to find criteria to reproduce the events for them. I had the transmission oil changed which appeared to solve the problem for a few days. They want to change the fluid again to rule that out. Next, they say I should replace the torque converter. I am the original owner with about 75k miles. It's been happening for 4-6 months now.

I was also researching problems with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculator), but this is supposed to show a engine service code, and is supposed to be shutters while cruising. I think I feel those, but it's hard to rule that apart from bumps in the road. If you get the engine service code, Honda has supposedly extended the warranty to 80k miles.

I am considering a Honda for my wife, but am holding off until my problems are solved. We're also considering Toyota.

Have you had any progress with your problem? Are other people having this problem? Hope this helps you.
  • kpm1kpm1 Member Posts: 5
    My 2002 Odyssey with 105,000 miles is just starting to have the transmission problems described here. When it started I had a full tranny flush done and the fluid replaced with the good synthetic stuff. In two weeks I'm taking the family on a 1400-mile trip, including basically two 12-hour driving days. It seems that this problem takes a while to develop, sometimes 2-3 years from some posts I have seen. (My van might also be improving -- if the tranny flush helped could it take a couple hundred miles to have an effect?)

MAIN QUESTION: Is it crazy for me to take this car on this trip? When these transmissions go while driving, what actually happens? Thanks.
    Where did you do the tranny flush, at the dealer?
    Honda does not recommend tranny flush, it should be drain n fill x 3 instead of flush.
    Not the dealer. Local Shell. Honestly don't know if they flushed it or just drained it.
  • marti3marti3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Odyssey had the transmission replaced last week. Now the negotiations regarding who should pay have started. At 92,000 I brought the car to the dealership with the report from my mechanic- dark colored fluid, metal on the magnet, whine, and slipping gears. I took it in 3 times specifically to have the transmission checked, especially when it started to shift roughly (clunking) at stop signs and then the engine would die. Every time they claimed that there was nothing wrong although they did hear the loud whine. They claimed that with no codes or check engine light, they could not determine a problem. Two weeks ago, at just over 106,000, the car died after a rough downshift at a stop light and then would not go into gear. I had it towed to Honda and they determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. There were still no check engine light or codes. So, to answer your question, it has been having symptoms for the past 14,000 miles. It died at a stop light, luckily not at a stop in traffic on the freeway. I have no trust in Honda anymore. I believe they have been lying to me about not qualifying for the recall. Check the NHTSA website for the recall on the 2002-2004 Odyssey transmissions.
    That's very helpful. I have heard about the clunking, but mine just has trouble shifting, usually 2d to 3d. It starts to wind out, RPMs jump, and you have to let off the gas for it to shift, but the eventual shift is (so far) pretty smooth. At highway speeds it's perfectly fine. Thanks for the advice. I'm inclined to take it on this trip rather than rent a car. It has only had symptoms for maybe 1500 miles.
  • birdie5birdie5 Member Posts: 4
    WOW! are we getting screwed. Not only is my second transmission on its last leg but now I found out that the 2000 Odyssey does not qualify for cach for clunkers, but the 2001 Odeyssey does? They have the same engine, transmission etc. How can this happen? :cry:
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    I'm feeling a little anxious after reading through this thread, We have a 2004 EX-RES with a little over 62K miles on it. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed the 'D' indicator flashing while we're driving. I finally looked through the owner's manual and read where that flashing light may be indicative of a transmission problem :( I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow to get their take on it. We do have an extended warranty on the vehicle, so if we happen to end up with the worst scenario, I hope they cover it...
  • oscarzandersoscarzanders Member Posts: 1
    My tranny failed on a 500 mile trip to the beach. Mileage on the 2003 Odyssey was about 103,000. Cost me $4800 to replace the tranny and ECU. About $3800 for the tranny and $1000 for the ECU. Early symptoms were sudden lurching of the transmission when riding at a constant speed, maybe slowing. Occurred infrequently. Not enough for me to think about taking to repair shop. Bad symptoms appeared on this trip. Van would shift from 5th gear to a low gear (say 1st!) when travelling at 70mph on the highway. Kinda caused a big lurch. But, we made it to the beach and then the local Honda dealer for repair. The dealer said Honda will not help with the cost. I am going to write letters and make some phone calls. Suggesting on getting Honda to share the cost is appreciated. It seems that a Honda transmission should last more than 103k miles. I did not tow anything.
  • robpwrobpw Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problems with my 2005 Odyssey ownere too. Were they able to isloate it and fix it. I have about 80k miles on the car and and 100k warranty so I have about 20k miles to prove this issue. Everytime I complain about it they either replace the tranny fluid or say they cannot replicate the issue
    http://www.automallusa.net/2002/honda/odyssey/recalls.html tells me this:

2002 Honda Odyssey Recalls
    2002 HONDA ODYSSEY Recall ID from NHTSA: 04V176000
    Auto Recall Date: APR 15, 2004
    Vehicle Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Model Affected ODYSSEY
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 1099796 Recall Details
    Auto Recall Date:
    APR 15, 2004

Vehicle Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

...ON SOME MINI VANS, SPORT UTILITY AND PASSENGER VEHICLES, CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS CAN RESULT IN HEAT BUILD-UP BETWEEN THE COUNTERSHAFT AND SECONDARY SHAFT SECOND GEARS IN THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO GEAR TOOTH CHIPPING OR GEAR BREAKAGE.

...ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE.

My 2002 Odyssey has 102,000 miles. This language seems to clearly say I get a new transmission if those gears have problems. Does it really mean "if discoloration exists, dealer will replace transmission for $4000?"
  • yankfan19yankfan19 Member Posts: 1
    ours was bought new. I did a lot of research (in fact some from Edmunds) to buy this vehicle. Ironically, I avoided Chrysler for their tranny problems. So much for Honda's stellar quality reputation. It is shot as far as I am concerned.

Had the recall done as soon as we were notified (31k), had the blinking D problem just after our extended warranty expired at 107k (replaced 4th gear switch - $300) and now at 121k the transmission must be replaced (estimated $4850).
    I opened a case but Honda has denied me any participation in a good-will effort to help repair this.

The car's tradein is about 4500, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to do this repair... still thinking about it, but may go to a private shop for a rebuilt one.

It seems to me that the recall and the other tranny repair were just delays to get a flawed design over the warranty expiration so that they do not need to cover the cost of repairing their mistake.

I will not be buying a Honda again unless I know that the current model I am buying has a track record of no flawed design.
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    I think you have touched on the real issue.It is not uncommon for an automatic transmission to fail at 100,000 plus.I dont think there is any car where a transmission failure would be considered unusual at that mileage.The problem is that the parts and labor involved in a transmission repair at that mileage is often as much or more than the car is worth.
  • jennybeckyjennybecky Member Posts: 3
    jet_tester

Me too...I just purchased a 2007 Honda Odyssey with 30k miles on it. At 31k miles and three weeks later (haven't made the first payment yet) I take it in for a "thumping" that happens as you keep a consistent speed (like a tranny searching for a gear constantly). We also have a shutter/vibration that occurs at 40mph when you let off the gas and give it gas (usually on an incline). I was told about the service bulletin to update the specs in the computer, they did it, and it does it worse. I currently have a torque converter and transmission on order. Waiting for my repair to occur. This is sickening, given that I did my research and there were NO prior warranty claims on this vehicle per Honda and carfax checked out clean. Thankfully, it is still under factory warranty and with the Honda Certified warranty, the transmission is covered until 100k miles. If I continue to have the tranny problem after this install, I will be revisiting the dealer that sold me this vehicle to work out some kind of trade. The service bulletin (which is a borderline recall) states that all cars in used inventory is to be updated prior to selling. Mine was not and if they would have done that and driven it, they would have known it still had an issue. So I take the depreciation hit for having a transmission problem in its past (it will have it in its past) and I am not happy :cry: . However, I am thankful for warranty ;)
  • birdie5birdie5 Member Posts: 4
    get it fixed, and get rid of it....fast :cry:
  • triniman70triniman70 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, quite interesting seeing all this, really surprised at HOnda, thought i had bought a car that would at least go till 100K with no problems
    Anywho mine, i started hearing this " Crank" noise when we drove in the morning as the tranny shifted and every so often vibrated upon shiftage. Other day i saw this big puddle Oil and took it straight to dealersip. ( Ourisman honda laurel Md )
    Initially they said there was nothing wrong with car which I wouldnt buy and asked to speak to manager. He stated the same thing but said hed drive it and low and behold i get a call back and he said theres deffinately something wrong. Short story Tranny has to be replaced ( car at 6r k miles) I had purchased extended warranty ( thnk god) and i just picked car up.
    This has me really worried and was wondering if i should sell the car ( We love it) or just hope nothing else major happens?
  • minivanfamminivanfam Member Posts: 1
    OMG! We have a 2007 with about 26K miles and the same thing happened to me on Tuesday. Luckily I was only doing about 25/30 mph. I pulled over and my husband came to check it out and drive it home (I was coming home from the community pool with my children). He drove it home bringing it up to 40 mph at times. In the one mile to our house it happened 4 times. We had the dealer come and get it. The dealer said they can't get it to happen again. I'm terrified this will happen on the interstate doing 65!
  • jimbrajimbra Member Posts: 1
    While my family has solely used lived and breathed Honda for our choice of vehicles over the last 25 years. We have a 2001 Odyssey that has nearly reached its first transmission failure at 157,000 K. We have also dealt with our 2002 Accord which Honda North America replaced the transmission at 139,000 at not charge for the Honda certified re-built transmission assembly. We did have to pay labor of $700.00.

What bothers me is our 1994 Accord is still rolling strong at 395,000 miles and we will run it till it craps the bed and dies. We maintain our vehicles with a passion and drive them with care.

Our immediate family has owned over 135 Honda vehicles as a whole over the last 25 years. Collectively the J (Japan) built Honda's have been the most reliable with no issues. Unfortunately The North American built Honda's do not share the same reliability and characteristics.

We are a family that buys "new" and drives them till they die.

We have three vehicles we have to replace in the next few months and they will not be Honda's.

The Honda transmission issues have "profoundly" affected our decision to not even entertain purchasing Honda products in the near and far future.

Honda, If you are listening. We have been faithful customers that have swore to friends, family and acquaintances that your automobiles have been the best made on earth for over the last 25 years. Because of Honda's rather blatantly flagrent disregard to these "transmission" issues.

Honda, in the borrowed word's of Mr. Trump

"YOU'RE FIRED"

We will not repair the 2001 Odyssey when the transmission finally fails. It is a tragedy that a vehicle that is so well built and looks cosmetically and functionally fantastic will have to be sent to the junk yard because of a "poorly designed" Honda transmission that Honda will not stand behind with integrity. I guess the JUNK YARD IS WHERE IT BELONGS.

Ford has a much better idea.

They are building them like Honda did many years ago. They smartly took a page out of Honda's quality in manufacturing book.
    Gone is the Honda Slogan : The car that sell itself...

I thought Honda is a very good and reliable car so I bought a new '07 Odyssey without any research or hesitation. I traded-in the Ody w/7K miles in 7 months due to miscl things I don't like, potential pre-matured tranny failure, humming noise, soft brake, wind noise ...
  • igoazoomigoazoom Member Posts: 3
    omg, I am having the exact same problem with my 2003 Honda Odyssey. Upon the notice of recall, I took the vehicle in and check out to be no problem, which means not affected with discoloration. The same issues like many of posts here happened as a telltale signs on the car. If only I knew about this before I am faced with transmission failure :mad: !! Now Honda Motor America's customer service is refusing any service can be warranted since the mileage on my car is 125k. Now faced with taking this problem into my own hand... I am currently looking at buying the rebuilt transmission and taking my car to a private mechanic who can replace it.
    I want to know if any one here is on the same issue but resolved it with Honda Motors America or with a dealer? My service manager is telling me his hands are tied.... :sick:
  • 645blitz645blitz Member Posts: 2
    :mad: :mad: So I am yet another one duped by the supposed superior Honda quality---what a scam this transmission is....my 2001 Odyseey was due for a smog--it didn't pass because of the check engine light--turns out the codes are for incorrect gear ratio and some other solenoid code---a month later aftter I can actually afford the fricken diagnostics (I'm a bit under the weather financially) I find Whitmier Honda wants 4000$ bucks to replace the transmission.....So I'm stuck with that--and they won't honor the class action suit here in California that resulted in replacing the transmission at 7years 9months (yeah, 9 months) or 100,000 "which ever happens first"!!!!!!---Our van has 95,000 miles.....what a piece of junk...and we still owe like 10,000$ on it....this piece of crap is a lemon....so further I decide to call the Bureau of Automotive Repairs to see if there is some way I can get around this to get my registration---he was basically a robot and said I had to get it fixed, and "good luck with your car"--and he actually hung up.....I have three kids and have a 95,000 mile bad joke....THE HORROR!!!!!!! You know what makes it even more frustrating is that I am having no problems...my transmission seems fine....We just drive about 600 miles and no problems....For some reason I find solice in that others are having this same problem....Does anyone here know Matt Lauer so we can ruin the Honda name on the Today Show....I will never buy a Honda again just out of pure spite....I do feel a little better.... :confuse: :lemon: :cry:
    Do not rely on the dealer, you should call America Honda directly and see if they can spare certain % as good-will repair in the replacement cost. They will assign you a case number then the regional manager will call you back to discuss the case.
  • 645blitz645blitz Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the recommendation....I think that is my next step....
  • coneyman1coneyman1 Member Posts: 8
    With all of these posts involving multiple transmission replacements per vehicle, is there a true FIX ? Have the replacement transmissions been re- engineered to prevent a repeat of the problem, or do they sell you another defective tranny good for maybe 100K ?
    My 99 had a trans replaced ( free from Honda) at 185,000. Unfortunately, my son wrecked the car at 210,000.
    I assumed the replacement trans was also an improved/ redesigned trans and would not have the same problems.
    Based on that assumption, I was looking at buying a used 2001 Odyssey.
    It has had the trans replaced already.
    Is it fixed or just in between breakdowns ? Does anyone have knowledge or data on this ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • igoazoomigoazoom Member Posts: 3
    Coneyman1, post #1142! How did you get Honda to replace your trans at 185,000? I have the same problem; was told to replace trans and been denied due to high mileage. Mine has 156,000. They told me I should be lucky to have it lasted this long, believe it or not. Please let me know what you did to get free replacement. I wonder maybe yours is built in 99, which is part of a class action lawsuit won. However, I thought it only covered up to 109,000. Please let me know how you handle the replacement. I would appreciate it very much.
  • coneyman1coneyman1 Member Posts: 8
    Car was dealer maintained. Dealer had record of us bringing it in with trans issues 2x while still under original warranty- but found no problems. Also helped that we were loyal Honda customers and had a good rapport with the service mgr.
    It took some persistance but paid off.
    Again, is new trans a true "fix" or just another trans waiting to go bad- anyone know ?
  • jennybeckyjennybecky Member Posts: 3
    Torque converter fixed my 07 at 32k miles. No transmission was needed but it runs great for now! No more hesitation or shuttering!
  • petertpetert Member Posts: 23
    :mad:

Original was replaced at 20k miles.

Does Honda really know the root cause for the failures?
    NO.

Does Honda have a fix?
    NO.

Are we customers happy?
    NO.

Honda ruins its reputation with this kind of transmission and the service.
  • reverseproblemreverseproblem Member Posts: 2
    to #754 "dragonlady"
    how did you end up wit your trnsmission problem,
    I have exactly the same issue,and i feel helpless with my meccanic. :confuse: :
  • reverseproblemreverseproblem Member Posts: 2
    any body experienced these rare tranny problem?
    any feed back is helpfull.
    THANKS
    J