Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
Since 2006 is the last model for the current Mitsubishi Montero, does anyone know what Mitsubishi's plans are? For example, they are coming out with a new Outlander. Does anyone know if there will be something similar for the Montero?

Comments

• meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    This topic is a continuation of Topic 465....

MITSUBISHI MONTERO - Should I Buy It?. Please
    continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • jimmydelrayjimmydelray Member Posts: 38
    Should have been more descriptive. That is on the Montero Limited with rear air controls. Would any one that has purchased this vehicle be willing to shear their costs? I am ready for a SUV again and am stuck between the Montero and the QX4.

Thanks,
    Jimmy
  • sriggssriggs Member Posts: 1
    I broke down and purchased the 2001 Montero Limited. The sticker was $36,800 here in the North. I gave in at 35,445. I'm sure the dealer still got over.
    But it's day two and so far so good. I purchased the vehicle in Baltimore,MD. I drove it from Balti, MD to Edison, NJ. It handled very well. I'm no expert. This is my first SUV. I was going to purchase a 2001 Pathfinder. It's one of the best in it's class. But, everyone and their mother has one so I purchased the Mitsu.
  • Accord99Accord99 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my Limited with rear air in late April for $35,600 (before tax & license).

If you can get it under $35k, that's a great deal.
  • mehrgottmehrgott Member Posts: 1
    In the review, it says the Limited version can be shifted into an AWD mode. Is this real? I prefer the ease of not having to switch from 2WD to 4WD when the weather kicks up, and the selective 4WD that the XLS version (the only one our dealer had to show) just isn't for me. Can you leave a Limited version in the 4WD mode at all times?
  • jimmydelrayjimmydelray Member Posts: 38
    The answer is yes! The Limited comes with the "original" 4 wheel drive system which is still state of the art. I can be left in an all wheel drive mode with sensors that shift the traction when needed. Again, this is only on the Limited model....

Hope this helps,
    Jimmy
  • khanamkhanam Member Posts: 18
    I am planning to purchase a Montero 2001 Limited which seems perfect but for its lack of a powerful engine (i.e. a V8). I am a first time SUV buyer and I am not clear if the V8 is an essential item for a vehicle which will be off-road maybe a 2-4 times a year (Upstate NY kind of terrain normally & once in a while, a national park), never haul a boat and in most instances, would just be on cruise control on highways.

Enlightenment, anybody ?
  • pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Member Posts: 22
    Mehrgott, IMHO, nope.
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    According to the info I have, Montero's AWD can be engaged at ALL times.
  • bprofbprof Member Posts: 1
    Yep....has 4wd All time, 2 wd low, 2 wd hi, and 2 wd. New Durango does not have 4wd FT that can be turned off for 2 wd like the Montero LTD. That's one of many impt reasons that I bought the 2001 Monte Ltd. And very glad that I did.
    I bought one this Saturday, silver limited. Love it! Well done, you can see good quality everywhere, no chip stuff, nice finish.
  • arsalanarsalan Member Posts: 1
    I bought a silver limited with rear air two weeks ago. Drives great, though wind noise seems too much. Paid 35k.
    35 k out the door?
  • burrheadburrhead Member Posts: 1
    I hope the first couple months of owning the '01 montero is not indicative of the future...bought my ltd the end of May (lucked out and got it for $31 and change) I've had a sensor leak gear oil, some of the cheap interior plastic break (rear seat belt retainer and child seat tether cover), now the sunroof is sounding just lovely when I tilt it up...

Other than that I love the truck...the manumatic shifter is real nice on the highways climbing mountains...ie. the automatic shifting becomes a pain shifting back and forth otherwise...

I have no problem with the power...and have taken quite a few lengthy trips with the vehicle fully loaded, a/c on and still getting 20 mpg...
  • chris92019chris92019 Member Posts: 1
    I'm afraid of the posted gas mileage on the sticker!!! can anyone let me know what kind of mileage they are getting!!!
    thanks
    Chris
    I have 2001 Montero Limited. Put 3 tanks so far. First tank 100% suburban driving, morning/evening rush 17 mpg. Second tank did not paid any attention. Third tank 50% city 50% highway (with construction and toll booth) 20 mpg.
  • jdm99jdm99 Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that the Montero 2001 requires premium fuel?
    Japanese are translating their existing manuals
    into English. The same cars (or engines)are being sold in Europe, both Americas and Asia. Some countries have regular with the octaine as low as 66 and premium as high as 97 (where 97 could be of the worse quality that US 93). There are different formulas to calculate octaine, thats why in the some of the gas stations, on the pumps, formulas are shown. US 87, 89 and 91 by some other standards are considered "premium" class. I am using gas stations with good reputation (at least I think they are) like Shell and Mobil, and always get 89 or 91. 87 seems to work too, however I go for that extra octaine.
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Purchased Montero Limited with autoclimate this past weekend. Spent alot of time checking out various other sport utilities (both on the web, and drove everything I was seriously considering in the city and highway at least once). Doing this made my decision relatively easy. I would strongly encourage anyone considering buying an suv to drive several different varieties before settling in on one--Montero was not initially my first choice, but after testing it vs. several other SUV's, it was my personal hands down winner.
    Here are my impressions of what I personally tested:

RX-300: Pluses: Excellent ride, nice interior except for display in center console, gas mileage, reliability. Minuses: styling: this thing has two ovaries. In fact, it might have three. Looks like a station wagon. Small.

Mercedes ML 320: This was my first choice going in. Pluses: safety, relatively nice ride, 3rd row seats, black onyx is my favorite exterior color on any vehicle I've seen, relatively good gas mileage. Minuses: Styling: Not as bad as RX-300; I give it one ovary and one testicle. relatively small, reliability issues, interior layout (especially location of cupholders and window controls) and center console less than ideal; price.

Infinti QX4: Really was pleasantly suprised by this SUV. Wonderful engine, quiet, fairly nice ride But..small, and no matter how I adjusted the drivers seat, I could not get enough head room with the sunroof. Blah exterior..give it no ovaries or testicles--looks neutered (or spayed)

Toyota 4-runner limited: Pluses: Nice looking--give it two testicles. Nice interior, reliabilty. Minuses:Drove this right after the Montero--this thing is small (only 67 inches wide vs. 73.9 for new montero), rides harsh, Underpowered, overpriced.

Drove Durango, Explorer, Trooper, Jeep GC limited--took all of thiry seconds to eliminate these off the list....

Also looked at Ford expo/Tahoe but bigger than what I wanted/needed. (Anyway, would hold out for Seqouia in this class).

Acura MDX: Would have considered this as well, but needed something sooner. Not crazy about the styling (admittedly, I've only seen pictures) but looks like it has at least one, possibly two ovaries; definitely no testicles.

Land Cruiser: Thought about it--really like this SUV--but I just couldn't justify the pricetag. Only other minus to me is gas mileage.

Montero Limited: Pluses: Personally love the exterior. This thing definitely has two cahones.
    Nice ride. Fantastic suspension. Love the interior. Relatively spacious. Advanced 4wd system. Nice stereo. 3rd row seat. Was worried about vibration, drove this thing several times at different speeds and conditions--absolutely no vibration at all. Can actually take this thing off road. Huge Moonroof. Lots of options for the money. Size perfect for my needs. Great interior layout with LOTS of storage space. Minuses: No liftgate. Tailgate window doesn't open. Slightly underpowered. Dealers won't come down much off sticker (but at least there is 3.9% financing). ? Reliability--but made dealer promise loaner (in writing) if any extended repairs.

Bottom line: There are several good choices depending on what you're looking for. My only major issue with the Montero is reliability--I loved the vehicle enough that I'm willing to take the chance (if this thing is a dog, my next vehicle is a Lanccruiser). Time will tell....
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Montero is now being featured on their homepage. Here's the direct link: 2001 Mitsubishi Montero, by Ed Hellwig. Let us know what you think.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com/Town Hall Roving Host
    Most of the observations are correct, however, I am not sure about the V8 engine. I have Limted, use it for the everyday driving, hauling kids and going camping. Next thing is to install the hitch and tow thw 3500 lbs boat/trailer. I know where I go and I know I don't have mountaines to go over. I don't think that in these conditions V8 is needed. There are some people that tow big and heavy trailers all over tha States, including Mountains. Those people definiteley should look at the Suburban or Tahoe. But for light boaters, campers and daily users this vehicle is more than enough. It is possible that I may change my views later, but at this time I think that Montero meets and exeeds my needs. In the regular driving, I get 17 mpg with the 100% city driving and slightly above 20 mpg in the mixed driving.
  • rnrxlowernrxlowe Member Posts: 1
    I'm a big fan of the new Montero (off-road ability, unique styling, etc.), but the new crash test data kind of alarms me. The Insurance Institute gives it a "POOR" rating stating: "Another poor performer is the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero with about $9000 damage in the Institutes's 5mph bumper test. Once again, the rear tailgate and glass were crushed in the rear-into-pole impact by the spare tire mounted on the back. Cost of damage after this test about $2800. Total damage to the Montero in all four impacts increased since the last time the Institute tested this SUV, largely because of the increased damage sustained in the pole test." I saw this on MSNBC and the whole back glass bursts into pieces. Be careful and consider all aspects before purchasing.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    I too saw the test on TV. One thing to note is that all vehicles that have the spare tire mounted on the rear door does poorly. No matter what brand. The Isuzu Trooper did the same thing and the front end damage was far worse. The Isuzu Rodeo moved the spare tire form the back on the 96 model, to underneath, and it did help. But overall, it also got a poor rating. The only vehicle that got an acceptable rating was the new BMW SUV. I was surprised how well the Montero held up on the frontal impact.

Did I miss something? Where did the $9,000 damage figure come from? Back was $2800, or was that overall. And I don't recall what the front was, but I am sure it was not $6200. I thought it was around $600. There seemed to be minor damage.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Go to 2001 Full Size Montero II under Topic #7 to see the results. The $9000 figure is for all four tests and the frontal crash was $1200.
  • clay5004clay5004 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased Ltd in Aug., after nine months research into SUV's. Looks and feels good, as you will hear from people you encounter. Could have a V8, but with the increase in that cost not to mention fuel, I can live with it.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    Currently have a 96 Montero LS with 74K miles on it - runs like a top, still looks good (two-tone dark green and grey, just did the timing belt and h2o pump / belts / hoses / tuneup @ 65K.

Now considering updating and am looking at the MB -ML430, Landcruiser (still can't figure out why they cost $53K)and the LR Discovery. Have also considered the new Montero, but have not yet drove one. Went to one of the local (Columbus Oh) dealers and eye-balled the new body style, but was totaly turned off by the sales people and their usual BS.

A question to any owners of the new Montero that have also had an "old" Montero: I have read that the new Montero is based on a "more car like" platform - does it ride and "feel" like the previous version (more like a truck) or a big family car?

Thanks for your perspective.
    Go to the FullSized Montero conference. There are people who took theirs 2001 off road. New Montero has a monoque body which (according to the Mitsubishi) has a better performance than the old frame.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XS is now available. Here's the direct link to First Drive: 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XS, by Ed Hellwig. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • risubarisuba Member Posts: 1
    My montero has 151000 miles on it. Fully paid off. It just started burning oil (1-2 quarts every 3,000 mi). Does anyone have/had this problem and iit something to worry about?? Will it last another 100,000 without too much $$$$. Plse respond, i would like input. Thx
    Many new Fords are burning (or it is disappearing somewhere) 1 - 1.5 quarts every 3000-4000 miles. So burning some at 151000 is probably within all specs. If you service it in the regular intervals in may last...
  • mnyoungmnyoung Member Posts: 5
    I had a 1995 Montero LS for 4 years. I loved it. The only problem I ever had was when after a heavy snowfall. A large chunk of ice slid off the roof and broke the windshield wiper. Dealer fixed it under warranty ... no questions asked.

I let it go back to the lease company at lease end only because I wanted the 7,000 lbs towing capacity of the 5.9 liter Durango. But the Montero had a far better interior layout. If you are towing 3,500 lbs or less (or not at all). I highly recommend the Montero. I often towed around 2500 lbs not including an entire weekend worth of camping gear for my family of 5 ... and the family. It wasn't quick getting up to speed, but had no problems maintaining 70 mph with the overdrive turned off. I recommend the factory towing package for the sake of the tranny and oil coolers. Even if you don't tow, that's gotta help the drive train last longer.

As for oil. I've only owned two vehicles that didn't use a quart of oil every 3,000 miles )including new vehicles). Luckily, for me, the new Durango is one of the two. But I wouldn't worry about that small amount of oil. Start to worry when you don't have to pull the drain plug to change it.

Were it economically feasable for me to by out my Montero lease, I would have done it in a heartbeat.
  • blizz1blizz1 Member Posts: 9
    I just traded in my 1997 montero LS. I was tired of visiting the shop, and worried about repair costs once the warrenty expired. Tires would wear out prematurely and unevenly, pulled to the right, was towed twice (once for the starter, and once for the battery -at 1 1/2 years). Two teenage kids found the car cramped-especially the back seat and long rides even in the front. Paint peeled entirely off the roof rack, and easily scratched (could of been the dark green color).
    I had a difficult time even getting blue book value for the car-even the mits. dealer I bought it frome was not interested in it as a used car.
    We gave in and bought a van (something I didn't want 3 years ago) and love having the space and comfort.
    Sorry to be such a turn off. This was our 2nd mits. brand car and last... Have had great luck with Toyotas though
  • guineapigguineapig Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me decide if i should buy this 38000 miles 1997 Montero SR?? I just test drove it and noticed that it is pulling to the right?? Why? Am I imagining or is this a major problem?? Anything else I should know?? Please advise. Thank you.
  • blizz1blizz1 Member Posts: 9
    I have owned 2 mits-1997 montero and 1992 expo. Both cars drove great at first and then pulled to the right. Could never get it fixed correctly. Both cars ate tires unevenly.
  • evosonicevosonic Member Posts: 1
    In response to risuba, I have an old montero ('91) with over 200,000 miles on it. Still drives great, but it started burning oil about the 120k mile mark. I just have to make sure to check it every few thousand miles or so. Doesn't really seem to affect the car much. I am also looking at purchasing a newer montero ('99) because of the great luck I have had with this one.
  • zahidzahid Member Posts: 1
    Monteros are good , only if you are taking them off road. But if you intend to use them mainly on the pavement , i highly recommend getting something else. I am 25 years old and have experienced 3 monteros so far. I am using a 96 one right now , its got 98000 miles on it and some times smokes too much. My major complaints with the montero is

1. Burns too much oil.
    2. Very weak motor.
    3. Feels very unstable especially when making sharp turns or on the ramps.
    4. Ugly interior ,, for its price ,cramped.
    5. Something is wrong in the front suspension, The front wheels keep on losing alignment.
    6. Lots of squeeks from somewhere under the body.

But the best thing about these cars is that they are very reliable. I take out my montero for offroading almost every weekend for the last 3 years and the car is still in good shape. Though the suspension seems to be loosing its composure , the car still feels tough and the motor very smooth( except for some noise from valve lifter from time to time). If the engine sounds too bad i put in some marvel mystry oil , it really makes the engine smooth.
  • mjk55mjk55 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 1995 Montero SR which which is totally loaded with every option you could think of, its got 81k miles and runs great so far, pretty quiet, no rattles and 17-20 mpg. I'm very impressed with the quality of the interior and the convenience type items, nicely finished. Also love the looks of the exterior and lines of the vehicle, looks like a real SUV, not a pretend SUV. One issue I do have and it alarms me especially after reading these last few post on this thread, that is that mine pulls to the right with authority also!!! My sister had the car prior to me and she said she took it back to the dealer when she bought it (at 50k) and they said it was the tires and replaced ALL four tires for her at no charge, they definitely wanted to sell her this car because she was paying a fortune for it. Anyway she felt that it seemed better with the new tires and she just forgot about it. But it definitely pulls to the right, I will be taking it in for some normal service work soon and will be inquiring about this, will post the results.
    mjk... do a little test (be very carefull) while driving straight, on the good stretch of road, place steering wheel straight and try to drive without corrections to see how far off it pulls you. If you know any potholes try to drive over one of them while holding steering wheel straight and see what happens after the bump. Also, try to notice if there is same pulling in all areas, or it stronger in some but not the others. On the 2-3 lane highway or road, try to observe if pulling is same on all lanes. The most right lane have tendency to be the worst. Make sure that your tires are inflated even, within 1 psi (+ - 0.5 psi). Very often, dealers have no idea how to properly and effectively balance those large tires on the alloy rims. I had some pulling on my brand new truck, took it to the dealer, looked at their equipmnet and after I was done laughing, I offered tham a deal: they will take (I would) truck to the modern tire place for balancing. If everything is fine, I will pay for the service. If there was a problem, they will. Manager happily agreed, unfortunately they had to pay for it! That place didn't just balanced tires on that thing with the bubble on it, or did some slow rotation... they did computer analysis during various speeds and put weights (or remove them) on the inside and outside. Many dealers have outdated equipment and that's a problem.
  • mjk55mjk55 Member Posts: 2
    alexp,
    Thanks so much for your response, I do the street test all the time seeing how much it pulls in certain conditions. For sure it pulls in the right lane more so than the center or say the left. In fact in the left lane because of the slope of the road, I can usually take my hands off the wheel and drive straight, but in the right lane it always goes right, sometimes harder than others. Also I have gone very slow on a flat road so that I could feel each rotation of the tire and there is a "lope" I think in one of the front tires. I like your idea of taking the truck to a tire store where they will have the latest equipment and just balancing all four tires and check PSI and maybe rotating them. This would be relatively cheap and may solve the problem. Thanks again for such a quick response.

Regards, mjk
    Make sure your tires are cold. It been said that if you drive more than a mile you should wait for tires to cool off. The best thing is to measure air pressure in the morning.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    I have an '86 Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 (that by the way is up for sale) that I fought tire pull on for over a year here in So. Cal. -- had alignment checked and reset, tires rotated, and that helped some. A tire dealer in Boise, Idaho finally correctly diagnosed the problem as something called "Radial Pull". At the time I thought it was B.S., but when the tires (Armstrongs) started failing in the sidewalls due to offroad rocks, I replaced them with BFG All-Terrain TA's. The pulling problem then disappeared completely!! Go figure?
  • bdwyerbdwyer Member Posts: 2
    So I've sat by quietly and tried to observe each person's comments about Mitsu's burning oil. Ironically enough, I did have an 89 Diamante which I truly loved except for...burning oil!

Now I sit on the verge of dropping 35K on a very hot looking Montero LTD that I have seen mixed reviews from. I saw a 2001 at the dealer, sat in it, and will be taking it for a spin this week. I am desperately trying to put aside my love for the new design both internal and external. It is truly a looker!

I have owned a 95 Blazer (see "Lemon) which was bought back after a 4k mile engine block crack as well as a 96 which my ex is still doing battles with over bad ball joints and such. I am wondering if the Monty is any worse of a risk than a Blazer, Explorer or Isuzu?!

I personally like the looks. I can deal with the underpowered engine as I don't tow. As far as gas mileage...hey, it's an SUV! So should I put personal taste aside and drop the dough on an Infiniti or 4Runner which have no personality at all????

Any takers on this one? I swear loyalty to no manufacturer as I've had Chevy's, Hondas, Mitsu, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota, so brand bashing won't hurt my feelings!
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Don't think the Monte is a worse risk than an explorer, Isuzu and especially the blazer. Burning oil an issue, but the Montero limited has a reputation for being rugged and dependable.

With regard Montero limited vs. 4runner and pathfinder:

These were two of the vehicles I considered (as well as ML320 and Landcruiser) vs. the Montero ltd. Thought I'd go with the 4runner, landcruiser, or ML320...until I drove the Montero. 4runner drives harsh, underpowered (as is the Montero), and small--I drove the 4runner right after the Montero, and couldn't believe the difference. The Infiniti rides nicer than the 4runner, but I still think the Montero rides nicer, is much better looking, and bigger. Headroom a problem for me in the Infiniti, not an issue with the Montero. Out of all the vehicles I tested, my favorite overall was the Landcruiser, but I just didn't feel there was enough of a difference to justify the difference in price.

Drive them all in the same day, if possible. It really made it easy for me to decide.

As an aside, I have 2500 miles on my Montero ltd and absolutely love it. Rides great, luxurious, yet (thankfully) still feels and looks like a truck.
    Same here :) I bought 2001 Montero Limited, silver. Really good vehicle. Had Lexus RX300, ML320, 4Runner Limited and for a while 2001 Pathfinder...the winner was Montero 2001 model. No complaints. 2700 miles, comfort and ride are very good.
  • bdwyerbdwyer Member Posts: 2
    To cct1 and alexp:

Thanks for the quick replies! Glad to hear that you both are pleased with your purchases. Cct1, I definitely agree on the price of the Landcruiser, but I was going to give the pathfinder and QX4 a spin. I have however had horrific luck with Ford and Chevy Trucks, so short of having them given to me I wasn't going to bother!

Also interesting mentioning the height issue. I pulled up the specs on my 98 Chrysler Intrepid (bought in Canada) and was stunned to see that the Monty was THE only mid size SUV that was equal too or better in interior dimensions. You would expect all mid sized SUV's to be fairly roomy compared to an Intrepid, but not so. On a few in particular, hip and shoulder room was considerably less!

Full agreement here on the Monty's looks. Hands down truly the sharpest of the lot that is out there. When I saw it on the floor, it stopped me in my tracks!

Thank you both again for your quick feedback and I will give you an update when I get back from the test drives this week. I am pretty certain the Monty will win me over too! Enjoy your SUV ride in luxury!
    I too have a 2001 Montero Ltd. with rear A/C (the only option) and am very very happy with it. Not one problem!! Have about 250 off-road miles on it since August. Just had 3000 mile 1st oil change this week at dealer.

To cct1 and alexp:

Going quail hunting this weekend (opens Saturday)down in Coachella Valley. Taking Monte and Son's Trooper. Should have more comparison discussion stuff next week over on "2001 Montero Board" (and maybe some more pic links). Son's starting to cheat though, he put ProComp 305x75x16 MT tires on the Trooper and 2" lift.
    So it will be even more painfull for your son, to loose to the Montero!! :)
  • ryan43ryan43 Member Posts: 3
    There are some things that no one can figure out on the Montero Limited:
    1. When using Automatic Climate Control, the A/C indicators always stay on whether heating or otherwise. Does one have to manually turn off the A/C on this system?

2. I have the rear climate control system. It seems as though it can't be controlled from the front. Is that correct? I have toddlers in the back that can't control it themselves. Why is the switch on the front console a 3-way switch?

3. I've heard about the promised triangle that no one seems to find. The tool kit is supposed to have a flashlight, but they package it in a small white box in the back storage compartment whether the spare tire wheel lock kit is.

4. 2h vs 4h??? It seems as thought 4h is a normal position to drive it in (All wheel drive), but doesn't this eat more gas?

All this aside we got our silver ltd w/ climate pkg. this past Monday and our in love with it so far. It seems like a much better written/translated owners manual would cover these types of issues. The dealer says they are having a serious problems with the service manuals they haven't gotten because of the same issue (translations).
    1. In Auto CC the A/C light will be on because the system may need to engage the compressor clutch to control temperature. Just because the light is "on" doesn't mean the compressor is running. If the outside ambient air temperature is below that of the climate control setpoint and it's after dark, the A/C compressor won't run at all. But, according to the manual, the computer controling the temperature looks at both the inside air temperature and the amount of sunlight falling on a sensor located somewhere, so it may cycle "on" under daylight conditions. This is something like the old "by-level" setting from 20 years ago -- warm air at floor, cooler air where it is sunny. You can turn off the A/C but if you reset the temperature it will turn on again. In other words, "Auto" really means, "Set temperature you want, then leave me alone to do my thing". By the way, it will also decide whether or not to recycle the insided air, use outside air, or a combination.

2. The 3-way switch allows those to turn the circulating fan in the rear "on" or "off" (assuming the fan is turned "on" at the rear control). But fan speed, and temperature setting can only be controlled from the rear control console. However, it is fairly easy to reach from ether front seat. You have to learn which way to turn the knobs without looking at them.

3. My flashlight was in the tool kit. Probably supposed to be unpacked and inserted into tool kit during dealer pre-delivery prep. But no triangle.

4. Yea, probably 4H uses more gas, but you "can" use it under all road conditions. The key word is "can". Why would you want to on dry pavement? Its intended use is for better control on loose (dirt or muddy) roads; rain slickened pavement, or snowy roads.

5. New question -- why does the manual show a switch (and descibe when and when not) to engage the locking rear axle, when Ltd. comes standard and XLS optional with limited slip real end? I wonder if locker is available in Japan, Australia, or ?, where Montero is sold as Pajaro?
  • ryan43ryan43 Member Posts: 3
    THanks a million for the answers to my questions.

Can you please clarify #2. What is the cirulating fan. I think I heard it and saw it opposite of the subwoofer all the way in the back. It would be nice if the manual covered these things. So on the switch, what does the fan picture setting mean? the rear setting? Obvoiusly the middle position is OFF?

In reference to your #5 question. I saw the illustration and am note sure whats going on. Another possibility is maybe that it is electronically controlled since the XLS and LTD's have completely different 4wd systems?

Last request did you or anyone else accessorize you Montero's (i.e. sunroof wind deflector, bug shield, running boards, etc...)?Which ones and how have they worked out.

Thanks all for your feedback.