Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I wonder if the U.S. Sonata will get the SmartKey feature? I'd be surprised if it doesn't--that's becoming pretty common on mid-sized cars.

Anyone know what a "cluster ionizer" is?
  • Options
    indy9indy9 Member Posts: 2
    According to the catalog, cluster ionizer is a kind of air purifier, killing germ and bacteria inside the ventiduct.
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I say that navigation will come on this 09 sonata. As an Option on the limiteds. 605W stereo will come with it.
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    I appreciate all the new features the 09 Sonata will offer.....if the US spec Sonata will look this Korean version it will disappointing. The current exterior is very classy and elegant....the 17" rims look great too. This redesign looks like a step backward....with the smaller and akward chrome grille....the interior looks nice...(CTS style)...but looks like it lost the K.I.S.S principle.

In a pervious picture there is something odd in the cneter stack...which is a slot for stroring CDs'
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe, but most likely not.
    Smart Key is not "pretty common" in mid sized cars. A few car mid sized models have this. It is a pretty small percentage of total mid sized cars sold in the US.
  • Options
    OK. I thought maybe Hyundai would want to do something to stand out a little in the crowded mid-sized sedan market--not wait for everyone else to get there before they do.
  • Options
    I think that is for the DMB nav system. It's an external CD changer that can play CD's and mp3's. It's the slot above the storage bin. Only models with that nav system get that cd changer.
  • Options
    mckevenymckeveny Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased the 2008 Limited for my son but got to use it for a while myself. Can't think of a single negative for a $21,000 price. Even for a $30,000 price. One thing is really noticeable---this machine is fast.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/Hyundai_Garmin_Nuvi.html

Portable navs can make sense because the cost much less and be taken from car to car.

However, instead of them expecting you to stick it on your windshield and have wires dangling to the charger and then expect you to keep removing it when you park so it doesn't get stolen, they could have been more clever.
    To make these portable units make more sense for this manufacturer that's offering portables instead of built-in units, they should have made a little cubby to mount it near eye level in the dash. The cubby should also have a sliding door plus power and audio jacks inside. With the cubby door shut, no one peering through the window would know whether or not there is a gps or anything else behind it.
    That setup would give you the best of all words. You have a low cost portable unit you could remove if you wish and you would also have a clean look with no wire mess, with an easy way to keep it out of view when park without having to disconnect and reconnect anything.
    It wouldn't add hundreds or thousands of dollars of manufacturing cost so there would be no reason it couldn't be done for all their cars including the most basic Accent hatchback.
    Why can't car manufacturers be a bit more creative with their ideas?
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Just purchased the 2008 Limited for my son

I may be a little long in the tooth but I'm available for adoption. :D
  • Options
    The US sonata for 09 will have some changes. It will look similar to the Korean version maybe not quite.
  • Options
    soon2bsoon2b Member Posts: 3
    Hi there ~

I am looking very seriously at a 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS with the popular equipment package. In road testing the car, the new car sticker is pasted so that it pretty much covers the left rear passenger window ~ making it (the sticker) a challenge to see around to check before getting onto a freeway or when merging lanes. Tried rolling down the window but still felt as if my vision was obscured - by the door post between front and back seats.

So question #1 is: as a 2007-or-8 Hyundai Sonata driver do you find it difficult to see over your left shoulder and around that middle post to check on safety before merging onto a freeway or changing lanes?

Then, Question #2: my driving is mostly in northern states where winters get snowy and icy. The heated outside mirrors sound fantastic! But I am concerned about the sharply sloping rear window. If you drive a 2007-or-8 Hyundai Sonata, have you noticed any difficulties with the rear window covering over and becoming obscured by winter driving (snow / ice / slush???) or slush splashing up and obscuring vision on the rear window?

Finally, Question #3: are there any options you did or didn't get that, if you'd make your purchase all over again, you would definitely change? And if so, what - and why?

I really appreciate your help and experience shared with me to help me make up my mind.

Thanks!

T.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    RE Ques #1: I was taught to drive in 1965 before many cars had a right side-view mirror. We were taught to rely upon the on the left side-view mirror, not look over the left shoulder, before changing lanes or merging onto a highway. The "look over your shoulder" was for checking to lane to the driver's right side (since right side mirrors were rare). In any car you will have very limited rearward visibility looking over your left shoulder...use the mirror (adjusted properly for your driving position).

RE #2: Almost every car made today has an electric rear window defroster/defogger. When you have the snowy/slush/icy conditions you mention, simply turn on the rear window defroster as soon as you start your car. A sloping rear window, with the defroster "on", will actually get less slush thrown on it or back draft stuff than a nearly vertical window. That is why you see rear wipers on SUVs, station wagons and some hatchbacks, but don't see them on sedans.

I'm in CT so I know about the driving conditions you describe. :sick:
  • Options
    soon2bsoon2b Member Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    If your rear window is covered with ice/snow, turn on the rear window defroster. It will melt the ice/snow. If you are in a hurry, use an ice scraper.
  • Options
    vince17vince17 Member Posts: 19
    Hey folks seems like you get a lotta bang for your buck with the 08 Sonata Se V6 .Ratings for the late model Sonatas are tops and look to purchase one.Took a test drive this weekend and how this auto tranny shifts(seems like rpms go flat between gears)anyhow does the V6 have a timing belt or chain and how are the 09s pushing almost 250 horeses (more hp than 08 same engine), Thanks Vince
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    All Sonata 06 model year and up have featured timing chain.

The 09 model year is a facelift, with major revision on the interior and sutble exterior refreshes. And, as you stated, the 09s feature new generations of base (4 cylinder) and (optional 6 cylinder) engines, each comes with higher horsepower and even better fuel economy. If I recall correctly, the new I-4 is now best-in-class in that regard, and the V6 is also within the top 2. Of course, the current 08 model year also has excellent power and fuel economy.

Your thoughts on the Sonata test drive? What did you think?
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    What Joe97 said, plus I will try to address your transmission question.

The Sonata's automatic transmissions has an "adaptive" feature, and "trains" itself to your driving style. Default settings are on the side of fuel economy, so the shift points will be at lower RPM and feel a bit "mushy". I think it takes a few hundred miles for the transmission to adapt the shift points to your driving style. Having said that, the transmission will never feel real sporty or snappy. The manual shift feature is very intuitive and easy to use, and makes the car a lot of fun to drive. I'm chatting with people that thought they would never use the manual feature that are enjoying it.

And yes, the car looks great!

2009 Sonata Interior
  • Options
    Just want yhas to know I thank yhas for the info and it confirms my decision on the Sonata SE V6. Was taking a look at the Ford Fusion but for the bucks the Sonata takes it. I was a Toyota fan since 1990 but second Corrolla had stuff fail (steering rack,transmission being rebuilt, all before 162,000. My feeling is a cars gotta turn the odometer twice when its properly maintained. I do the work myself for stuff like tune ups oil change ect (synthetic by the way). Gota kia too (Sedona 03 ).Some issues there but the message postings keep you ahead of the curve and I am fortunate to access them.Thanks again ! Vince17
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    No problem. Anytime.

Congrats :) :shades:
  • Options
    Thank you bobad,whats not to like on this car .Cant see how you cant beat the value(unless of course your mother in law buys the car for you :- )
  • Options
    Thank you bobad,whats not to like on this car .Cant see how you cant beat the value(unless of course your mother in law buys the car for you :- )

That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?
  • Options
    asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    What I want to know is how are the sonata's in the snow! Going up hill, different snow fall amounts. When the snow first falls, to a few inches, to a foot!
  • Options
    Most sedans have about 6" of ground clearance. So a Sonata won't do too well in a foot of snow. :(

But the standard ESC and traction control will help a lot on lesser amounts. Not as good as AWD obviously. If you need to drive in a foot of snow, might want to consider a 4WD SUV/truck with more ground clearance.
  • Options
    canespiratescanespirates Member Posts: 3
    Have 2 Santa Fe's, one is a 4, other is a 6, is a very big difference in idle noise. How is the Sonata 4 either the 2008 or 2009? Love the Santa Fe
  • Options
    cmw829cmw829 Member Posts: 19
    I've had my 2008 Sonata a week and have noticed that the auto headlights don't turn on until it's quite dusky. Likewise, this morning, it was very rainy and darkish-cloudy, but they didn't come on.

Is there any way to change the sensitivity of the lights so that they will come on in lighter conditions?

Thanks.
  • Options
    sonata4lifesonata4life Member Posts: 20
    Folks,

I have a Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel as it comes standard with Limited and according to the manual, I can adjust the steering wheel forward or backward and upward or downward. But, for some reason, I can only move it up or down and not sideways...

What's the deal with the telescopic steering wheel? How is it supposed to work? Maybe, all I could do is adjust it up or down or ??? But, the manual clearly states that I can move it forward or backward too... Confused!

Thank you in advance for any and all replies!
  • Options
    The telescopic feature allows you to move the steering wheel back toward the driver or forward toward the dash.
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by "sideways." But if the wheel doesn't seem to move towards the dash, or torwards you, it may just require a stiff tug to get it going. I've found a tug is needed on some cars with telescopic wheels for the initial adjustment. Try that--release the adjuster lever and give the wheel a sharp tug towards you.
  • Options
    Someone suggested a small strip of black electrical tape across the sensor bubble. The sensor is located on the dash, on the passenger side. The tape won't show unless it's the shiny type.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your reply. Now to go outside and locate the sensor.
    :)
  • Options
    Thank you and appreciate all the replies. I was just pushing it towards the dash and nothing was happening and was moving the steering wheel sideways to see whether there is any effect - nada! It didn't strike me to pull the wheel towards me as I didn't want to break sth :( After all, it can't be that fragile, can it :)

Well, this forum is great as it saved me a trip to the dealer, tho' I would have waited till I go for an oil change!
  • Options
    Is it really necessary to follow the 55 mph limit, per the manual, for the first 1200 miles break-in for 2008 Sonata Limited V6?

It's really hard to drive in that speed in the highways... What did you all do when driving in highways during the first 1200 miles?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies!
  • Options
    I suspect they put that recommendation in for a reason. I didn't see it until I'd had a few 65 mph trips on the car.

I just get in the right-hand lane and set my cruise on 55 mph. Then defer to people entering the highway. Haven't had any problems yet.
  • Options
    Well, I agree that they put that recommendation for a reason but in highways, where I live, people drive at 70+ and if they see someone like me at 55, they think that I am from a different plant.

Moreover, it's very dangerous to drive that slow when the traffic is going at full throttle and people cutting in from all places!
  • Options
    Not real important.

It's more important to let the engine RPM vary. Avoild long stretches with the cruise control set. If traffic is doing 70, just do 70. However, every few minutes, back off all the way on the accelerator and coast down to 65, then back up to 70.

Also void high RPM for the first 1K or so.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info and appreciate it. I am just a few hundred miles away from the magic 1200 and hopefully, can really test the vehicle in a few days ;)

Yes, I agree with you that you shouldn't use cruise control continuously (15 - 30 mins stretch) as the salesman pointed that as well - he specifically said that do NOT use the cruise control for the first 1200 miles but if I need to use it for whatever reason, then use it for 15 mins (or was it 30?) and ease off of it for 5 mins or so and then continue it...
  • Options
    gabebalazsgabebalazs Member Posts: 18
    I bought my car in D.C. and drove it home to Toledo, OH (450 miles).
    The car had 5 miles on the Odo. I varied my speed between 60-70. I didn't use the cruise control for the first 200 miles. Then I did use cruise control occasionally for a couple of minutes just to rest my right foot.
    Every now and then I switched back to 4th gear using the manual mode. That gave the RPM some variation (went up to 2800-3000 RPM, still safe). So I did this for 7 and a half hours until I got home. No problem with the vehicle (it only has 2500 miles on it so far).
  • Options
    dhollydholly Member Posts: 16
    I did something similar, except 65-80mph for about 6-1/2 hrs. A little more rpm variation possibilities and it got me home quicker! I was very pleasantly surprised to find the cruise control remained engaged when dropping down a gear or two with the manumatic.

After the trip home, from 500-1000mi. I began putting progressively more load on the engine by periodically accelerating harder and longer. By the time I neared 1000mi. on the odo, it already had a couple of sustained full throttle bursts to ensure the rings seated properly.

Clearly you don't want to hammer a brand new car straight out of the gate, however, not everyone knows the flipside danger. If you baby a modern engine too much during break-in, you run the very real risk of glazing the cylinder walls which will negatively impact fuel mileage forever. Once that happens, the only way to rectify it is to tear your engine down and hone the cylinders.

I thought it interesting of the several new vehicles I've purchased in the past 10 years or so, both domestic and foreign, the Sonata had the longest -and most conservatively stringent- oem mileage break-in recommendation by far.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    What is the "double slotted doodad" just behind the driver side seat heat switch? I can't find anything in the manual, it almost looks like a poor attempt at a coin holder.

Anyone know?
  • Options
    mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I agree, I always felt like it was an attempt at a coin-holder myself. In my Sonata, I just ignore them and use the ashtray as a "large" coin-holder of sorts!
  • Options
    findedeuxfindedeux Member Posts: 2
    I've noticed a really weird thing with my 2008 Hyundai Sonata. When I have a full tank of gas I report vastly higher MPG than when my car is low on gas. For example, when I drove it from the dealership I was getting as high as 26 in the city. When the tank hit below quarter-full, however, I was getting as low as 17. Likewise, I filled it up yesterday, and my MPG magically shot up to 29mpg in the city. I know there is no way this car can really get 29 in the city so it makes me worry that the trip computer is malfunctioning. Does anyone have any experiences like this? Can anyone help explain the discrepancies I'm experiencing? Thanks.
  • Options
    It's not the amount of gas in the tank, but zeroing out the computer that makes the mileage appear to be better. The computer really is accurate, but is just a snapshot in time. The mileage near the end of the tank is based on more information, and is more accurate.
  • Options
    jgilbeath04jgilbeath04 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, just like the title reads is there any real reason for buying a 2008 Sonata over a 2007? I have been looking into purchasing a Sonata and going through all the numbers a paper work I just do not see any major reason for buying a 2008 instead of the 2007 ( doing a price for car comparison )

So does anyone have any reasons that I should purchase a 2008 over the 2007 besides that year model?

O yes, I will more than likely either get the GLS or SE trim. (GLS trim is more realistic right now)
  • Options
    If you are talking about a "new" '07 or '08 and if there is a worthwhile difference in price, then the '07 would seem to make much sense as there is little difference between '07 & '08. However, if you are talking about a used car, you really have to go by the condition and mileage of each car.

The '09s, which have been out for a few months, have some exterior face lifts and the interior has been changed. The pricing has also been bumped up.
  • Options
    Skeeter27Skeeter27 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to change the oil for the first time on a 2.4L 2008 manual transmission Sonata. Anyone know what size the drain plug is? I need to buy that tool. I try a 3/4, 15/16 sockets wrench don't work. Please somebody give me tip on what tool to use it driving crazy! Thank's

:confuse:
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Do you have a set of metric sockets? I'm sure it is metric.
  • Options
    You obviously aren't experienced at changing oil. The filter is also a bit tricky. I advise you to take it to a garage or at least get experienced help the first time or 2.
  • Options
    et124et124 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Sonata with 8000 miles. We had the 7500 mile tune up and everything appeared fine 3 weeks ago at the yearly inspection. The car maintenance has been up to date.
    Yesterday,when I started the car it stalled then the oil pressure light went on and there was a ticking sound coming from the engine. Hyundai towed the car. Now they're taking apart the engine to see what went wrong.

I'm a bit stunned by this in a new car. Anyone else experience a problem similar?