Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• sonatafansonatafan Member Posts: 171
    You can't beat a minivan with an ugly stick and then expect people to put in it's own class!!!
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words....
    Well those two between the Toyota and the Montana
    say it all...!!

Koolguy and Aztec2 keep talking about the "neat features" well I guess they do not get the big picture SAFETY, that's what it's all about. SO people who have family's need to be very carefull when choosing a automobile for their two year old...and NOT for the neat camping package. or even it's looks be it ugly or not...

Oh and "russki" I for one do not think everyone in this room are "smartasses".
    All the B.S. aside Jmatero's pictures speak volumes and it's his intelligent statements and other like him that help people make "intelligent decisions" when looking for a car for the family....
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    First in class?
    Maybe the class is :
    "Vehicles that look like pot-bellied pigs"
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    WHAT?! I haven't talked about the Azteks "features" in a LONG time. Geebus you people, I was just talking about how the Aztek will MOST LIKELY share the Montana's 5 star SIDE crash rating, But then you go and say all I care about are the features.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but the 5 star rating really depends on the type of vehicle that t-bones you, god forbid you get into an accident.

Why? Well, the NHTSA crashes a 3500+ pound sled, simulating an average size passenger car into the vehicles. SUVs and minivans have an advantage because the passengers are seated much higher off the ground than in a regular passenger car. This elevated seating position allows the dangerous impact forces from the sled to be directed downwards and away from the occupants, hence the excellent side impact crash results (at least 4 stars, but more frequently 5 stars) for all SUVs and minivans.

The problem with the NHTSA test is that the sled only simulates a car. What happens if you are hit by another minivan/full-size van or an SUV/pickup truck (quite likely with the proliferation of these vehicles on the road)? The height advantage disappears completely. So keep this in mind when reviewing the side impact crash test results. Not all vehicles offer equal side impact protection. For example, would you rather be t-boned when riding in a MB M-class SUV with front and rear side impact airbags, or a Toyota 4Runner (no side impact airbags but 5 star side impact results)?

What I find very impressive is when cars do well in the side impact crash tests. For example, the Volvo S80 (with side impact airbags and side airbag curtains) achieving a 5 star result for both front and rear passengers. Or the Subaru Legacy (frameless doors and no side impact airbags on the test vehicle; side airbags are available as an option though) receiving 4 stars for front and rear passengers - quite amazing, IMHO.

Drive carefully and enjoy the ride!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    First of all, my Aztek is the smoothest riding thing since greased ice skates. The features are amazing.

As for whether or not it is safe, life isn't really safe. You start life, dying. Sure, you do what you can to minimize the risk, but you can't sacrifice all of your time worrying about what if's.

Killer stereo, funky looks, auto just about everything, great ride, super versatility, a tent package for god's sakes , , the only thing missing is the kitchen sink. I love it!

And for those of you who worry about added safety features, all you need is the available accessory bubble wrapping.
  • loujoloujo Member Posts: 12
    since its introduction. I've seen more Ferreri 360s on the street.
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    GM loves people like you !! Put's some garbage with neat features ( hey Tent Pakage) and who cares if it is safe. Or what the hell who needs money ( the Aztek most likely will depreciate 50% in just two years..) But as Barnenm And Baily stated: "there's a sucker born every minute!!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    it would be nice if they crashed 100 of the same car in a row. That would be more scientific.

I am pretty sure that every vehicle has its weak spot. So they happen to hit a weak spot in one test and then claim that the vehicle is crap.
  • 95wrangler95wrangler Member Posts: 17
    You seem to have some uncanny ability to see the future and make predictions on the resale of a vehicle that has barely hit the market...maybe you could also give us a good lottery number to play. Refresh our memory...just how is it you figured out the exact resale for something two years in the future?
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Nice to see this forum is as nasty as ever. I guess the polarizing looks bring out the worst in some people.

BTW. I live in the Toronto area and I have seen 3 in the past 2 weeks.
    I agree with Ruski.
    Demolishing 100 Azteks would be a good thing to do.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    I think it's fair to say that garthodinson has no children. It's funny how the typical single young male cares more about his "killer stereo" and not safety because "we all start out dying". Well, he's right, you can't live each day obsessed over whether you're time might be up. BUT, when you have kids and a family your perspective WILL change, believe me. You will not care as much about that radio or the funky styling, you'll see. I'm not as bothered by the Aztek's styling as much as it's structurally weak platform.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Same two black ones still stiting on the lot at my nearest dealer (Newport NH). They have been there for over 3 weeks now.
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    Garthodinson,

Answer this, if you had the choice of two vehicles, both functionally itdentical yet one was shown to have very poor crash ratings, while the other had very high ones, which would you choose?

"Sure, you do what you can to minimize the risk,"

Excatly. Buying a vehicle that has decent crash ratings is minimizing risk.

"you can't sacrifice all of your time worrying about what if's."

Nobody is saying stay indoors the rest of your life to avoid accidents. Safety should be a factor, not the sole factor mind you, in choosing what you buy and what you do.
  • steverisitysteverisity Member Posts: 39
    killer sterio
    "killer" looks
    killer crash rating
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Judging by the spelling error in your post#232 "winning about the election", (instead of whining) I can see that education is not a big priority for you so no wonder that you childishly shout "GO BUSH"

On a lighter note, I guess disgust for the Aztek could even bring Demos and Repubs together on a least one issue. :-)
    Perhaps the only accessory Pontiac forgot is the "Exterior mounted barf-bag dispenser"
    This would allow passers-by to admire the Aztek while serving to protect the environment.
  • smith76smith76 Member Posts: 2
    Barf-bag dispenser, scares small children, hee hee funny! So it has a big behind, so what- I'm sure most of your wives do too! I know that isn't really an intelligent response but after reading all of the negatives on this message board that is the feeling I get. So what if sales are slow, that only means they will re-think the outside design a bit. It rides great, plenty power for hills and highway. Piece of mind with front/side airbags;frontal crash tests? well any frontal crash depending on size, weight,speed etc. is a pretty crummy way to get hit. Even the best of vehicles might not save you. Plenty of cargo room and it is solid. Tires are a little too small though. Nice size side view mirrors-good to see blind spots, no problem seeing when backing up. Comfy seats. When we first saw it we thought eeeewww that is ugly!!! but then we sat in it- it was charming :-) still ugly-- then we drove one---
    very nice-- we leased one. It really grows on you!
    For every negative response on this board, I can only ask--test drive one-open your mind and try it out. Then you should form your opinion :-)
    I'd still be scared to death from the
    resale. And I'm not talking a crystal ball
    here to predict that.
  • smith76smith76 Member Posts: 2
    That is the beauty of GM Smart Lease.
    "Smart Lease" is an oxymoron.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I wouldn't be surprised if terrorists purchased some Aztek's. They would make great car bombs.
  • richardr4richardr4 Member Posts: 49
    I test drove a GT and have to admit that it was a great riding vehicle. Lots of room and enough power for my needs.
    What I liked about it most was it is a practical vehicle. I could care less that it looks odd. I drive an 86 Fiero GT anyway and it's never given me one bit of trouble.
    If the Aztek can come half as close to the sales numbers as the Fiero, Pontiac will kill it off for certain. They have habit of doing that with anything that works. Sure there are going to be some bugs, it's a first model year.
    I do plan on going back tomorrow and having a go at buying one. Not the GT however.
    Why all the bad vibes about it's looks? We know what it looks like so let's talk about how it performs.
    Then just how are you reading the future? Could you enlighten us on exactly what scientific methods you are using to forecast resale on a vehicle that just came out. Speaking of which - PT Crusier and resale - the dealer here has a row of them under MSRP...they seem to have quit selling. What was it you said about PT resale when THEY first came out.
    It doesn't take a crystal ball to foresee where the Aztek's resale value is headed. They have been giving them away since day one. Notice that you don't see commercials much any more?
    Even if they do a panicked restyle it will doom the current "aesthetically challenged" ones to orphan status.
    95wrangler,
    No, it wasn't me who said something about the PT cruiser.

I think what gonzo says about the Aztec selling with big discounts so early in it's first year out say a lot about it's resale value.

GM cars inherintly are over produced to where many of their adds at the end of the year promote $5-$6k off MSRP. I know MSRP is a joke to begin with but usually the manufacturer gets it on the new stuff.
    95wrangler,
    No, it wasn't me who said something about the PT cruiser.

I think what gonzo says about the Aztec selling with big discounts so early in it's first year out say a lot about it's resale value.

GM cars inherintly are over produced to where many of their adds at the end of the year promote $5-$6k off MSRP. I know MSRP is a joke to begin with but usually the manufacturer gets it on the new stuff.
    I have yet to see a dealer in the north east region that has multiple new PT's on the lot.... and if he did, I defy you to walk out of there with one much below MSRP (and if you do, you'll have other things tacked on). According to autonews, PT production is still at full bore. In fact, DC isn't taking further orders. If you found a dealer with more than one or two on the lot, chances are SOMETHING there is "not right". One dealer here in CT had 3 on the lot and a co-worker of mine was psyched about getting one under retail (according to the signs on the windows). Well, he "did" get it under retail, but in the end, he was forced to buy an aggressive appearance pkg. and extended warrenty. FORCED. As for Aztek re-sale value, you can go to money magazine or kiplingers to see actual resale figures. From what I read a few weeks ago, the Aztek is lower than other domestic minivans and more on par with domestic economy cars like the cavilier.... I'll find the link tomorrow morning but I believe it was approx 53% value after 2 years. That is at the VERY LOW END of the spectrum. Also, the production cuts at the Aztek factory can't help matters. I learned my lesson: If you only keep a car a couple of years, don't go domestic. If you like the aztek and safety and resale aren't a concern (meaning you're willing to drive it a minimum of 5-7 years) by all means, go for it. I'm not trying to insult anyone who already has an aztek, I hope you're happy with it. But the resale according to all sources is poor. This should not be a surprise really, imaging having 4 cars: A Honda Accord, A Dodge Caravan, a Chevy Blazer and a Pontiac Aztek. Now imagine having to sell them on your own... putting them on the front lawn with a for-sale sign. I'm sure the last to go would be the Aztek for the simple fact that it has the smallest "audience" out there. I mean, sedan buyers won't bite. SUV folks aren't interested, and a mother looking for a minivan won't take a second look. ALSO... resale plays another little talked about important role... Most people today put little down when buying a car. That is a BIG NO-NO when it comes to a model with below average resale because in the event it is in an accident and totalled or even stollen, you will be upside down... meaning, you won't get a check... the insurance agency will send GM the check and GM will come knocking on your door for the remainder. My suggestion is to Put AT LEAST 25% down on this vehicle.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    LOL trying to imagine who exactly would be dumb enough to steal an Aztek!
    I agree with most of what you say, but what's the difference between putting 25% down now vs. having GM come knocking at your door later on - either way your depreciation is the same.
    I'm still at a loss to understand how anyone can predict resale on a vehicle so new that virtually not ONE has been "resold" yet! Then, not knowing the future sales (new AWD) predict an event TWO years from now ??? Oh, on one count I saw TWELVE PT Cruisers languishing on the dealer lot here in MD. The artificial "demand" made by having only one shift working seems to have been filled now that they are under full (though soon pulled back) production. Hey, they can't complain...they did have a good run there for a short while!
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    PT Cruiser- 12,892 up from 11,180 in Sept.
    69,681 YTD

Aztek- 2,926 up from 2,009 in Sept.
    6,681 YTD
    no need for a recount there :)
    PT Cruiser sales are still strong
    maybe people will look back at the Aztec as one of those mistakes that the mints make on currency or upside down postage stamps where people will pay more than face value.

But I think Pontiac will have to come out first and admit the whole design was a mistake and they really meant to build something people wanted.
    are you sure those numbers reflect what the people of this fine country want?

Will the Aztec protect social security and deliver our children to a better education. Will it provide jobs for Americans and bring the people together.

Does anyone request a recount?
  • slopedirkslopedirk Member Posts: 46
    I know, this is a vehicle that reminds me of the "Vacation" mobile driven by Chevy Chase, but the Pontiac did get the size right, and the newer features on inside that would attract buyers. And they are right-on knowing that 99% of drivers never use 4x4.

Personally, if it goes easier on my eyes with time like some other homely vehicles like the new Chevy Truck, Focus wagon, Maxima, Acura TL (the one with the crease down the middle) -- then this homely little thing could be a great used car buy, with its value dropping like a brick. What a better used vehicle (in economic terms) than one who loses tons of value in first two years? I can get one for about $5k pretty soon...or less.

If they restyle it totally, it may make it. But I wonder what focus group gave the nod to that design. A more aero look would have gone a long way.

Slope
    I think a minor re-work is in the cards for 2002. Aside from the over-styling, it's a pretty decent truck/SUV. The Buick and Chevy versions coming look much better though.
    dindak- Don't you mean pretty decent mini-van?

ajvdh- You beat me to it. Heard the same on the news last night. Me thinks there was a little wishful thinking by somebody. As the old saying goes: misery loves company. ;-)

-Frank P.
    Ya, whatever. It's hard to put a name on these vehicles. There are so many crossovers these days, I'm just not sure anymore.

;-)
    They're all in peoples back yards! Looked at the last 50 PT Cruiser auctions that have ended on Ebay. Only 11 sold!!!!
    GM wishes the Aztek's were in people's back yard's as opposed to dealer's back lots. A lot of intellectually challenged individual's obviously thought that the PT cruiser would be a profitable investment.
    In the 'Drive' section of the paper today they featured the 2002 Saturn SUV. It's due next fall to hit showroom floors. They didn't mention any relation to the Aztec, but I though someone here herd something to the assertion that it did??

They did say it would share a 6 cly 180 hsp engine -the same one that is in the Saab. The base model with have a 4cly 138 hsp. engine (yikes).
    11 PT Cruisers sold on E-bay?
    How many Azteks sold?
    51 PT's ... 11 sold
    0 Azteks ... 0 sold
    Almost all of those are used cars...out of over 65,000 sold. Any way you look at it the PT Cruiser is a success. The Aztek is not so far.
    Sales figures on eBay have nothing to do with actual sales or even the success of a vehicle. The fact that there are 51 auctions to date is a testimant to the incredible popularity of the vehicle NOT it's lack of success. The fact of the matter is that the PT Cruiser is sold out... all vehicles (2001) that have yet to be produced have been accounted for. The company actually had to stop overseas production so those vehicles could be allocated to the U.S. While you may THINK that selling 11 of 51 vehicles on eBay constitutes some kind of "failure"... just the OPPOSITE is true. It is only November of 2000 and the fact that there have been 51 auctions of a NEW 2001 vehicle only reinforces how incredibly popular they are. Typically, eBay buyers are looking for a DEAL... you failed to mention that virtually ALL of the 51 sellers had starting bids FAR ABOVE MSRP. Also, if you read those 51 descriptions, MOST have either 0 miles, are still at the dealer, or have not yet been delivered. These sellers are opportunists trying to make $$$. Of course, the PT and the Aztek are by no means direct competitors so I'm not sure of why this "PT vs. Aztek" even exists. It seems as though some Aztek owners are almost jealous that the PT is a runaway hit while the Aztek is not. In fact, based on GM's projected sales of 75,000 the first year, the Aztek is a flop. I'm not trying to be mean or insult any Aztek buyers... I truly hope you found your perfect vehicle... but in terms of sales, GM sold more Chevy Cavilliers (a car whose engine/platform date to 1980) last month than the total # of Azteks combined. Even sales of the Escape/Tribute (a vehicle with KNOWN "1st year glitches") have yet to taper. And now most Hyundai dealers are having trouble keeping their new SantaFe's on the lots. I personally think the Aztek serves one main purpose... it's a minivan that doesn't look like a minivan so the "young folk" should be receptive to it. Oddly enough, EVERY aztek I've seen on the road has be piloted by a 30-something WOMAN.
    The reason the Aztek/ PT Cruiser issue comes up is this:

Both are recently introduced, smallish, 4 door , front wheel drive SUVish Minivanish, vehicles with unconventional stying based on mundane platforms.

The contrast is in how differently GM and DerChrysler understand the wants of the public.
    Admittedly, the Aztek is far more useful.

The marketplace rejection of the Aztek compared with the frenzy around the PT speaks volumes about the sad state of GM as well as the "style-over-substance" tastes of the car buying public.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's review of the 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT is now available. Here's the direct link to Road Test: 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT, by Erin Mahoney.

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    And a fine review it is.
    Ouch!!!! Talk about brutally honest. You can sure tell the difference between reviews in car magazines (that depend on ad revenue from auto manufacturers) and sites like Edmund's (which doesn't).

-Frank P.