Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

14567810»

Comments

• trusso69trusso69 Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2013
    REF: 461
    Make sure you ask them for the list of exclusions to the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I have a Hyundai and several things are NOT covered after one year. Examples: stereo, AC, lighting, paint, tires. My point is that while it is a GOOD warranty, it is NOT bumper-to-bumper for 5 years...

http://www.kia.com/content/media/en/manuals/2013_warranty.pdf
  • twinniitwinnii Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. If the AC goes out, I will have to fix it myself or leave it. I have a car and I currently don't have AC and radio for about 5yrs now. That doesn't mean I won't be pi$$ed off if something happens, but I would probably refuse to fix it through them.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    i dont think kia has bad resale anymore. my three year old sorento (2011) can be traded for 22000 acv and i paid 27200 three years ago. thats not bad at all. ill probably get a 2014 when it comes in. paid 23xxx for my 13 optima in january and just looked and trade in for a 2012 is 21-22k. not bad at all.
  • snowman22snowman22 Member Posts: 109
    Trading for another KIA could be different than buying another brand. I was trying to get into a new Toyota Camry hybrid. The dealers within my given area would only offer up Auction value. That was $5,000 less than Blue book or Edmunds or even the sleaze "Blackbook" that most all the dealers are now quoting. They were $1,500 less,than the other two stated above. Only one dealer about 50 miles away--Toyota ---would offer up the price's supplied by Edmunds or Blue book. But with that said---the selling price of the new vehicle was almost MSRP. So they would get me at the other end. Soooooo it's a loose loose for buyers in the Western NY area.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    just because you buy a toyota doesnt mean you cant trade to a kia dealer. get bid from kia dealer and toyota will send to them for what they will pay for it. they just want to sell a car. actually a good used car manager would call kia them selves and get a bid if they dont want your used kia.
    Yes I understand that. The KIA,Toyota and Lexus dealerships are all owned by the same people.
    Thanks for your reply
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Some friends just stopped by with their 2012 Optima and it's gorgeous in this maroon color though it did have the light interior. I really think the Kia/Hyundai make a good car now and personally, I buy a vehicle just because I or we like it. i don't worry too much about trade in value as we tend to keep our vehicles longer now than ever before. Our '05 Mazda3 with almost 117k is proof of that. Even with the $500 or so that we spent on it to fix the motor mounts a few months back is so much better than having a car payment or like us, paying cash and taking out close to $20k to purchase new. I suspect that we'll have close to 150k on the clock when she's ready to buy her 2014 model. Luckily the Mazda drives very well now and the amount of $ we'd get in trade is so low, best to just run it awhile longer and get what we can for it.

Even though there are exclusions in the Hyundai/Kia warranty, it's better than most other manufacturer's warranty. I know when the brake light switch went on our 4 year old Accent last year, they replaced that day free of charge and within 2 hours with no fuss. Made the process so easy and even offered to take me home & pick me back up. Excellent service as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't be surprised if we both end up with Kia/Hyundai products on both sides of the garage in the next few years!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• cactusfarmcactusfarm Member Posts: 1
    I've gotten a quote for $19,996 total drive out price for a new 2013 Kia Optima LX with no options. Seems like a good deal to me, but what do you guys think? This price includes all tax, title, and other fees and also includes $1,500 in rebates. (so without any rebates I guess it would be $21,496)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Has anyone here decided to go all out an bought the Optima SX Limited (aka SX-L)? It stickers for just over $35,000, but dealers are selling them here in Atlanta for around $29,900 plus TTT. I'm very tempted at $29,900, but I'm also terrified o first and second year depreciation, even with the discounted selling price!

I'm planning to go back (for the 3rd time) and drive a CPO 2010 Acura TSX V6 again tomorrow morning. Unless I happen to notice some issue that I haven't before, I'm planning to write them a check and take it home with me! Iti only has 29k miles on it and was a 3yr lease turn in by a young woman who was had just gotten married when she leased the TSX and when she turned it in several months ago, she had a 16-monoth old and newborn baby. She wanted to keep the TSX and buy it out of the lease, but it just isn't big enough for two kids, especially when they get a little bigger.

But it all seems to be working out....my salesman got her a lease deal on a 2013 MDX SUV/Crossover that is just $40 more monthly than her TSX lease payment!

But I'd still love to hear any experience, opinions or anything else about the Optima SX-L.....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • hitraceydhitraceyd Member Posts: 3
    Absolutely LOVE my SXL. I believe my bottom line price was about what you said. Time will only tell about the depreciation piece. I'm seeing alot of optimas on the road, but not many sxl's. I get tons of compliments on it. People have said they thought it was a lexus at first. I feel like you pay so much for a car, you should love it. For me, I couldn't stop looking at them and I knew I'd never be happy if I didn't get the wheels and lights. They really make that car. Inside, I love everything about it, too. It feels very luxurious and I know I didn't pay $50,000 for what I got. So, I feel like it a was sensible decision even though going to the SXL model felt like a splurge.
  • letsbuyacarletsbuyacar Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Anyone purchased an EX with the premium package lately (or with the premium and technology packages? If so, what price did you end up at? Thanks.
  • jeem8jeem8 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I am also interest in an EX with premium package. Most interested in current lease numbers, but also current sales prices.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• awesomefireawesomefire Member Posts: 1
    Traded my 2009 accord final calculation for 2013 optima EX with premium and tech package round about $ 296/ month for 36 month lease with 12000 miles a year. hope this will help
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Member Posts: 543
    Sandman, what are you smoking? Any new car warranty that excludes the stereo, AC, and lighting after 1 year is just not on par with just about everyone else. :confuse:
    Since I've not looked at it, I really can not comment. I can only go by the experience we've had with our '08 model. And since we will be purchasing a new vehicle hopefully by the last week of 2013, we'll do our research on warranties before then but we still really like Hyundai/Kia products and I'm personally in favor of the Buick Verano...no other vehicle company's have much that covers all that's necessary right now. But we have done almost no research as of yet as her a/c is still blowing cold in position 3 & 4...deep down, we just don't want to purchase right now so we will wait and see what happens and if the a/c dies, it'll be repaired!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    MSRP $31,925, TrueCar gives $25-$26K in NJ BUT, I know some dealers add on Bull$hit fees like Brad Benson Hyundai.
    Anyone have any recent experience?
    The dealers lots are loaded with 2013 Optimas so, I'd think they'd be very aggressive with prices
  • rlbjr2rlbjr2 Member Posts: 91
    Where are you seeing 25-26k on truecar? I see a price of $28,600 - incentives. That is $1,400 below invoice. I haven't seen anyone getting that low in NJ. Most dealers are around invoice - incentives.
    Yes, using your number $28.6-$2.9 incentives is $25.7
  • lilro33lilro33 Member Posts: 7
    Can you please provide the current money factor as well as residual on the 2013 Optima?

Does the residual change according to model?

Is there any current incentives for the month of August?

Thank you!
  • optimaodysseyoptimaodyssey Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a Kia Optima Ex base model in California, and am loving it already. Having been burned in the past, I was interested in the extended warranty for 7 years / 125K miles. I drive ~15-16K miles per year.

With the premium coverage (500 components), they quoted me $2400. From reading the forums, I was targeting $1200, but he wouldn't go lower than $2000, so I declined. Any idea what a reasonable price is for the extended warranty for 7 years / 125K miles? Or 7 years / 100K? How about prices at 3rd party companies? With the base warranty at 5/60,000, seems like a lot of extra $ for not a long period of extra coverage.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. This is my first post, so please let me know if additional info would be helpful.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Smart not to spend $2,000 for an extended service contract, they are a poor bet. The small print hides the gremlins.

Kia's power train warranty is 100,000. Why is that not sufficient?

Better to put the $2,000 in an interest account. If a repair is required, you have cash. If no repair is required, you still have the cash.

Never buy a third party warranty, they are far too risky. Google Rusty Wallace and US Fidelis for information on the risks.
    Thanks Billy, good points and good advice, I appreciate it!
  • fourml8rfourml8r Member Posts: 8
    my experience with NJ dealers:

first i went to gateway kia (denville nj). my wife got her 2010 kia soul there when it was kia of denville. that place sucked. took forever and they gave me horrible prices even with their "so called" $5,000 incentives.

then went to jack daniels kia (fairlawn nj). sales person was fair. almost made a deal on a black EX (not the color i wanted), but they had it in stock ready to go. i wanted other colors (Metal bronze or white) which they did not have in stock. so i walked away. by the time i got home they called me and agreed to get me the color i wanted by the end of the week.

they did get the car, but the delivery process was a little slow (2 hours) despite having an appointment with the finance guy and he also called that day to confirm the appointment time.

in the end i got a metal bronze EX with ipod cable, MSRP $24,450 for $20,050 (includes $500 incentive for being a kia owner).
    That sounds like a great price for the Ex. In our area, inventory on some colors is going down, so it's been hard get them that low, though some have gotten close. Did you have other incentives or rebates as well? (ex. $500 for financing with Kia, $1000 xyz)?
  • jcrashjcrash Member Posts: 4
    I paid $28.5 in Tulsa. Negotiated to swap out the wheels with some wheels from a used model they had on the lot. Looks much better. During the first week (last week), I noticed the passenger headrest had a thread that had come undone. I took it in and they ordered me a new one.

Stay AWAY from Big Red in Norman. Their prices are fake, and they will hard sell you on extras, and promise things they won't do. The salesman I spoke too didn't even know Kia made Hybrids.

Primeaux Kia will do you right. Ask for Maurice, he never pressure, and he handled my negotiations for me, basically.
    I traded my Optima Hybrid in back in July. Could not take the terrible performance of the hybrid system. Buck and jump and hesitate to the point we were afraid to drive it. Hope you have better luck with yours. Also---trade in value is abysmal. They will only give you junk or auction value. This is per my insurance company. My ins. Was much higher on the Kia than my new Lexus rx350. That's because of the status. This is not dealer saying this--- it's the insurance company. My Optima hybrid is still sitting on the dealers lot -- two months now. It was a beautiful grey over black with Nav. And panoramic roof plus every other option. 16,000 miles and mint. Dealer is asking 22,500and no takers. Maurice was wonderful on the sell--ask him about the trade in and re-sale. Bet he's not as nice.
    They just lowered the price to--20,700. Can't move it.
  • jcrashjcrash Member Posts: 4
    I think I saw it on the lot. We love ours. Currently getting 36 mpg, fully expect that to improve some more, but very happy. Drives like a dream. I wasn't looking for a sports car, or a car everyone has. Was yours 2013? The came out with an update for the control system on 2011 & 2012 a few months ago. You have to ask for it. All the owners says it changes the whole car. Specifically, it fixes the lag from start and improves mileage.
    2011--- they tried everything. Before I traded it in I was dealing with the manufacturer direct because it was dangerous. They agreed--- be careful when driving it--- it will not go when you want it to. I almost bought the farm out less times pulling out into traffic or merging into thruway traffic. Car was beautiful to look at but dangerous. Mileage was great in summer. But in cooler temps. It averaged 17 mpg--that's correct---17 mpg city driving. Dealer could do nothing. I really hope you have good luck. But checking things out they have not changed their system or that's what they are telling the public. Just be careful-- I'm telling you-- when you don't expect it---it will falter and hang you out to dry.
  • janslpjanslp Member Posts: 2
    Just got a quote for a 2013 EX Metal Bronze w/ Premium Package. Would love your thoughts on this pricing:

Internet price 24628.00
    Doc Fee 80.00
    CA Tire Fee 7.00
    Sales Tax 1976.64
    DMV fees 260.00
    Rebate -1500.00

OTD 25,478.64

True Car shows a "great price" at anything less than 26,361. Edmunds TMV is at 25745 reflecting the 1500.00 rebate using Kia's financing.

I think it seems like a pretty good deal...is there room to negotiate down further?

Thanks!
  • coolercitycoolercity Member Posts: 4
    I'm about to lease a 2013 Optima EX with Technology and Premium package. I negotiated the lease payment to $335/month for 36 months. Is this a good deal? The residual price they said would be about $16,300.

Thanks for your help!
    Not a good deal. Not even close.careful buying a Kia. Leftover Kia at the end of year should be a steal. These cars do not hold resale and are rated as junk status--un-official term--by insurance underwriters. I would not buy the Kia. To many better cars around. $335 is way to much even with no money out of pocket.
  • coolercitycoolercity Member Posts: 4
    What do you think would be a good price for lease on this car? I haven't signed anything yet.

Thanks for your help!
    Anyone buy a new 2014 yet?
  • liampdliampd Member Posts: 1
    EX with Premium package and
    -Cargo Net
    -EX Technology Package
    -Wheel Locks
    -iPod Cable
    MSRP 29,089 with discount and rebate 25,808 + 99 (VIN) + 80 (DOC FEE) + 2,361.36 CA sales tax & 297.75 registration = OTD 28,6446.11
    with 60 month 0% financing.
    Deal or no deal?
  • susanandbradsusanandbrad Member Posts: 1
    I am also thinking about leasing a 2014 Optima. Ive never leased a car. Does anyone have any tips. Should I lease or buy?
  • lenwilllenwill Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    I just leased a 2014 Opitma EX with Premium & Tech Packages. The MSRP was $30410 for White Pearl, cargo mat, tray, net, door applique and wheels locks. I got it down to $27434 which was about a 9.7% discount and an additional $1500 in rebates for a final cost of $25934. I didn't include taxes, doc. fees or RMV fees so people can compare apples to apples. Residual was 58% but the MF was .00176 for top tier credit which is ridiculous since the MF for a 2013 is .00063 but I am going to just buy it in a couple of months so that will take care of that problem.

If you are leasing do not put any money down. Luckily when I leased one in April I didn't put anything down and in Sept. it was totaled so I didn't lose anything. The gap ins. took care of the difference between the value and payoff. If you want to lower your monthly lease cost you can pay any dealer fees and the acquisition fee as you can't recover those costs.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    That sounds like a great deal. How much are you monthly pmts? How long is your lease and how many miles per year?

When I leased my (2011 Hybrid) in Dec of 2011, I drove the car out of the lot with nothing down (all the fees ,Doc, RMV etc) rolled into the lease, I am paying $349 per month, 15k miles per year, 36 months. I think they gave me like 3 or 4 rebates back them.

They are now calling me to take a look at the 2014, which I think they improved the interior even more so I am curious to know what monthly pmts some of you folks are paying.
  • lenwilllenwill Member Posts: 2
    With the final cost of $25934 and MF of .00176 Residual at 58% for 36 months at 12000 miles monthly cost is $307 and with sales tax of 6.25% ($19) for a total of $326.

If you get a low MF like .00063 or so rolling all the fees into the lease is not too bad because that MF translates to 1.51% but if you get a high MF like .00176 that equals 4.22% which is a terrible rate but that is what the current rate is for the 2014 Optima because they are trying to steer buyers to the 2013 Optimas that are still on the lots.

At the high rate you are better off paying the fees if you can instead of financing them. I paid the fees out of pocket and will buyout the lease in the Spring. The MF should drop down in a month or two but the residual will probably also drop, a lower residual will add dollars to a lease payment.
  • vservser Member Posts: 48
    Hi. I'm looking at an sx turbo in central nj. I'm looking for any feedback on pricing. So far I've gotten a 30000 quote on one with the tech and premium package. My goal is 28. Thoughts?
  • godisnonoobgodisnonoob Member Posts: 2
    2014 EX Base - $20,500 (no premium package, just one level above the lx) This is before TTL and Sales tax.
    Careful what you wish for. The KIA is not something that holds up mechanically. There is also very low trade in value. Junk status per insurance industry. If your going to hang onto it till the end you would be ok except for the build quality. That will suffer. If your going to spend that kind of money why not look at a base Lexus ES. Same ball park and the build quality and trade in value can't be beat. Also the new Impala has some great deals going for it. It is also rated a quality built vehicle---- though the jury is still out on that. To early in the model year to draw a conclusion. Just be careful on that Kia. I know it looks great and they throw everything on it a bargain prices---- but think real hard before you pull the Kia trigger. I had one. Worse care I ever owned. I'll give you more info if you desire.
  • godisnonoobgodisnonoob Member Posts: 2
    Kias have changed man. The are little brother to Hyundai and i know tons of people with high miles Hyundais. Why make up stuff? I would be embarrassed to drive a Lexus personally.
    Hyundai--- sure they own KIA. I'm talking from my own experience. I'm sure tons of people like their cars. But--- on the other side of the coin I'm,sure tons don't. I was not embarrassed to drive a KIA. It was a great looking car. Unfortunately that was all I liked. Drovemitmfor a year and a half. It got worse with more miles. So from my perspective it,was not positive. I'm not making it up. It was MY experience. Also I only use the Lexus ES as one,example of a much better choice. Again--my opinion. Same with the Impala. Sooooo--- make "stuff" up--no. Pass along a less than positive experience--- yes.
    Our '08 Hyundai Accent has been the perfect vehicle with only one problem, bad brake light switch, that was fixed within 2 hours the day I brought it in...they took me right away and said to wait as it'll be done as soon as possible...and it was. We also have a Nissan Versa SL, both are our kids vehicles, and they are both great vehicles. Just trying to point out that all makes have issues with some of their vehicles yet I think there are more good stories than bad. Personally test drove a Lexus yesterday and it was nice but am sure there are plenty of folks having issues with their Lexi...the point being every manufacturer has good and bad vehicles. Just the nature of the beast, sorry your experience wasn't what you expected...ours is, and then some!

The Sandman

• bellringabellringa Member Posts: 2

Just got a quote of $630 down and $239 a month for a 15k a year lease for 36 months on an optima lx with mats cargo net bumper applique. this payment is after 6.75% taxes here in OHIO and they are just gonna do the pull a head program for my 2011 kia soul with 40000 miles.
    what do You think is this a good deal?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Please visit the 2014 Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion for current model year deal talk. Thanks!