Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Escape

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I sell Fords. SO believe me when I tell you that the Escape Fuel economy due to the anchient powertrain (20 yr old engine and transmission design), Fuel Econ is not competitive. Really doesn't matter AWD or FWD. Expect under 20 around town and low 20s on the highway.

I think the Escape has other things going for it, especially value of equipment you get, along with a sophisticated AWD system.

Compared to CRV:
    1. V6 engine,
    2. Dash didn't come from a mini-van
    3. Can open hatch glass seperately
    4. back seats fold flat
    5. Light Truck tires on XLT and Limited for better bad weather performance.
    6. 2nd row provides real leg and head room for 2 adults.

Overall I think the Escape is about equal to the CRV but for the 4 cylinder being the only engine available on the CRV

Compared to RAV4
    The RAV is a disaster of packaging and totally unsuited to the US market. All Toyota did was bring over a home market vehicle with little or no concessions to your requirements.
    1. 2nd row leg room is totally lacking. Putting adults in the 3rd row would be concidered torture under international law.
    2. The back hatch. This is the part that completely ruins this vehicle. Why in the year 2007 Toyota forces you to move the weight of the spare tire every time you wanted to get into the back is an example of the contempt they have for Americans. Not to mention you can't even open if you are paralle parked. It will stike the car behind you and block your acces from the curb because it opens to the right (thats ok in a left drive country like Japan.)
    3. Way 2 expensive for what you get.

Compared to Nissan Rogue.
    1. Escape has better ride and isolation
    2. Escape has a wider track
    3. V6 although with the Rogues CVT its not missed as much as it is with the CRV.

Conclusion. Ford considers the Escape to be an SUV and it gets SUV like fuel economy. The Ford Edge gets the same but is a bigger vehicle.

Mark.
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks so much for your candid and prompt response.
    I agree 100%. An old powertrain is a proven powertrain. I also like all of the luxury items available on the Escape.
    Since the mileage is about the same, I think we will get the AWD.

BTW does the "trailer tow" package really get you a trans cooler?

Thanks!

First
    On
    Race
    Day
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone have a source for winter wiper blades for the 2008 Escape? Major retail outlets in Canada (eg Canadian Tire) don't carry them, and Ford doesn't even have a part number for such an item. The connection between the wiper blade and the arm is unique, and I haven't found an aftermarket blade that can adapt to it.

Unfortunately, with the weather we get in rural Canada, winter blades are pretty much a necessity.

Thanks!
  • aldagenaisaldagenais Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat..
    I have found that silblade.com sell flexblade GVM technology, but they don't list the 2008 Escape. I sent them an email but no reply yet.

Ford tells me to bring in my Escape to have checked and they might have to redesign to wipers.( yeh that's going to happen)

Volvo also have this conector type.

If someone knows where to buy Silblade wipers in Canada let me know.

Thanks
    :confuse:
    The Trans cooler was part of the tow package in Escapes up to the 2007 model year.

For 2008 the Trans cooler is STANDARD! (about time). So if you don't tow, save your $300.

Mark.
  • freestylegalfreestylegal Member Posts: 70
    Hi all,
    My Freestyle has 70k on it, the mpg is going down, the price of gas is going up, and I'm being guilt-tripped into downsizing. I know the hybrids don't save money in the end, but still, I'm interested. It says on the brochure that it has a CVT tranny--the same one that is in my Freestyle? I love that transmission and haven't had a moment's worry with it. I had heard that Ford was discontinuing it on the Freestyle (which they did on the 500s/Taurus X). So, is this the same tranny?

And is there a special forum for the Escape hybrid?

Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    And is there a special forum for the Escape hybrid?

You bet! Here they are: Ford Escape Hybrid

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • woogsiewoogsie Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone found winter wiper blades for the 2008 Escape? My mechanic even said NO ONE has any to fit this vehicle.He called everywhere! I called Ford Canada today and they said "Oh there is only 1 type of blade made for that vehicle and its for summer most likely"....of course.....summer blades on a 4wd truck in Canada..duh! Help!
    I took a teeny piece of paper rolled up and stuck it in the little sensor hole.Worked like a charm!!! If you put your finger over the sensor on the mirror you will see what I mean.
    This is not the same CVT that was used in the Freestyle, it isn't even based on the same principles.

The eCVT in the Hybrid uses a planatary gear set as opposed to the belt and pulley system in the Freestyle. The eCVT is similar to that used in the Prius not exactly the same though. It is built in the same Aisen factory in Japan that builds the Prius Trans.

If you keep your Escape Hybrid for 5 years, and you drive at least 15,000 miles per year you will. break even in fuel economy savings around the 60k mark. This assumes you able to take the full available tax credit and do most of your driving around town. It also assumes that you would have purchased a conventional gas Escape if you didn't buy the hybrid.

For about 10k less, you can get a Ford Focus which about as much passanger room. You can buy a lot of gas for $10k.
    Thanks, mschmal. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I think we will get the towing package. If diesel fuel costs keep rising, we may use the Escape to take my Ducati racing motorcycle to the race track instead of my '04 F-250 6.0 PSD.
  • stevenmccstevenmcc Member Posts: 1
    Am considering towing an Escape/four wheel drive/auto trans behind my motorhome. I know that I can't flat tow, but can I use a dolly? Would appreciate any info you may have. Thanks in advance, Steve
  • kevman2kevman2 Member Posts: 3
    Considering a new Escape, but am a little concerned about the CD4E transmission durability - - I have friends who had their 2004 Escape transmission fail at 65,000 miles, and cost about 3200 bucks to replace. And I see lots of internet chatter about past problems. Am I being paranoid, or is this slushbox something that may very well cost me some money after the warranty expires at 60,000 miles? I love the new Escape and would plan on keeping it for many years to come.

Thanks!!
    You raise a good point. On the Escape up through the 2007 model year, I recommended the optional tow package as this package included the aux, trans oil cooler. Cooling was the weakness of this trans and the Aux Trans Oil Cooler seemed to solve the problem.

The GOOD NEWS is that Ford make this component STANDARD on the 2008 model and its bigger! Notwithstanding same, stay tuned. by 2010, the Escape should be using the 3.5L Duratec and the 6F trans.

Mark
  • ricky_1776ricky_1776 Member Posts: 3
    I just wanted to post that I just purchased a 2008 Escape this week. I have read a lot of praises and negatives on the vehicle but i have to say for the price this is a nice vehicle. Sure it is not the fanciest interior or the fastest SUV on the market but I love it. I traded a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and dont miss it a bit...especially the 14 mpg I was getting. I decided after test driving both Escapes to go with the I-4. It is peppy enough and the mpg is a little better. I was shocked to see the size of this motor...it looked like a snowmobile engine under the hood.
    I am also amazed on the features that are offered on this affordable SUV. I got the Sirius Sat and moon roof. Nice incentives too!
    Well anyone who has an 08 escape knows the wiper blades suck for the winter and no one has replacement blades because of the new technology.Yes Ford can make an Itelligent 4wd but by all means don't make a wiper blade for the winter!!!!!
    Siliblade in the states had one out for testing but it still isn't perfected, but they will keep working on it they said.Since there is no aftermarket blades for the 08 I am sure they will get it perfected.Its not just the 08 escape, its also Volvo, rangerover and this technology will end up on most of the new vehicles.Basically Ford Canada said..."keep your heat up high and get good washer fluid".Not what we want to hear Ford Canada!
    You know, I keep seeing this TV ad about wipers made by Rain-X. They are a new design and look like they work better that conventional ones. You can only get them from the internet. Maybe you should chedk them out.
    THanks but nope.........they dont fit......its a wierd clip on the wipers.........although using rain X may help with the freezing on the windshield........I am already trying that.Just have to hope Siliblade or Ford can get them on the market fast.Thanks for your input!
  • pbstlrs1pbstlrs1 Member Posts: 4
    I just came from the dealer today and asked them specifically about your issue; he has the same vehicle and said he removed the rear seat (center) head rest and had no issues after that....seems too simple now doesn't it. It makes sense since the "sensor" is picking up the light from vehicles approaching from the rear. I am looking at the 08 Escape which is why I was even curious about this site....interesting to see what problems people are having.
  • pbstlrs1pbstlrs1 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at an 08 Escape, loaded but waiting till they offer me some great discounts. I like the looks, I like the drive, don't care for the mileage but my van only gets about 23 or 24 and most of my driving is highway 95%. Just wondering mainly if anyone has been misstreated by Ford? Have they honored any warranty issues? Anyone been screwed? I realize things go wrong with new vehicles, I'm not concerned with that too much as long as the warranty service is ok. Thanks to anyone.

I also wonder if there is an available extended warranty and is it worth it?
    Neal
  • fravofravo Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: All I read about was how much the new 2008 Escape has improved in road noise? I just purchase a pre-certified 2008 Ford Escape XLT (4WD Auto) and the road noise is excessive. To me it sounds like I have 4WD aggressive tires on it? The tires are the standard Continental tires that come with it but they are really noisy. I had a 2004 Escape XLT before this and it had the same tires but the noise was not even comparable to the new one. I was wondering if anybody out there is experience the same problem. Also it seems like the gas mileage is less than 14 MPG (city). I absolutely love the truck the way it drives and handles and the style of the whole thing but the noise is a bit excessive.
  • poster1poster1 Member Posts: 6
    I rented an 08 4WD with the 4 cylinder this week and kind of liked it. I haven't read all your posts yet so forgive me if I repeat what others have said. I like the fact it's FWD with power to the rear tires in adverse conditions. For small cars I like front wheel drive. Let's see, the mileage was $67 for 420 miles driven, at about $3.40 a gallon so that's about 21 on the freeway. Not too good for a 4 banger. This particular rental had 13,500 miles on it and someone had definitely taken it off-road. The engine compartment was completely caked with mud, top to bottom. That said, I noticed nothing in the way of creaks or rattles. Road noise was negligible. I checked pricing and looked like for about $23k I could get a
    base model 4wd. I consider buying it if the mileage was better. The hybrid is probably $3k or $4k more so I probably won't buy one. It was fine for a rental though.
  • csiroishkacsiroishka Member Posts: 1
    I am leasing a 2008 since march of 07, tranny went pulling a pop up trailer thought the mountains. We were to be gone for 1 month and this happened 6 hrs into our trip. Ford said we would be reimmbursed for our expenses and we are still fighting with our dealership as of april 08.I have had nothing but problems with this car even though I love the way it fits.Has any one slese had problems such as wipers suck,back up sensor not working properly all the time,heated seats heat for 1min then go off for 7 min then 1min on then off,keyless pad not working all the time?
    cathy
    Yes car fits well and forget about trying to get aftermarket wipers for it..........they don't exist.Siliblade (I think thats how it is spelled) is testing some but I haven't called them lately as spring is here.Its the new technology with the clips and its quite a few 2008 cars..Volvo etc. Heated seats could be better but I am comparing to cars that cost 20k more.I have driven Jeeps for years and the escape (I have 4wd) handles much nicer in the winter.........except for those crap wipers.........that is a serious flaw and Ford needs to look at that for sure.I have had mine for 9 months now and I am pretty happy with it overall.One thing for sure.........if u have cloth seats and u fold them down u need to put something to protect the seats because it marks.Somebody else showed me that.Anyway just a few flaws to mention.Good luck!
    Wait and buy an 09 like me. The s
    new ones will have a V-6 with 30 more horsepower and a SIX speed transmission as well as available sync. I would not be surpirzed if it would outrun a 3.5 Edge at 264 hp!
    If you want a deal they are giving away the 08s, but I will wait for the '09 Limited AWD
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Whats coming with the towing package I know for the hitch and the tail light cable, but what else ? Thanks !
    If you are talking about an '08 the only other thing might a bigger trans cooler, but I though I read somewhere that the bigger trans cooler is standard. Go to fordvehicles.com and "build" an '08 escape and click on the explanation of the trailer tow package.
    My '08 Escape has been in the shop this entire week due to a confirmed leak from the transmission fluid cooler. There appears to be a TSB out for such a problem, which may occur during "extreme changes in temperature".

What is becoming extremely frustrating is that a special bolt is required to mount the cooler, and this bolt is unavailable at any dealer within more than 100 miles of my location. It's on emergency order as Ford is calling it a "high demand part". But, they cannot give me any inkling of a delivery date. I'm really disappointed in Ford that they wouldn't be doing a better job of ensuring that stock exists for a "high demand part" with a related TSB.

Are there any creative solutions to this, which would allow me to get my '08 Escape back on the road sooner rather than later? I really don't know if it will take days, weeks or months to get this very valuable bolt. I've read a few postings from other '08 owners, who have had the same issue. Thanks!
    Desmo1, thanks for your suggestion but they mention only Hitch and harness, no mention of cooler or bigger alternator rad, or self leveling suspension...

I really dont know if the escape is the vehicule I should get to replace my Grand Caravan 2006 equipped with a real towing package !!
    I was stumbling around blueovalforums.com and under the Escape and Mariner forum I found the "order bank" (?) for the 2009 Escape.
    The big news is that the 2.5 I4 is available with the 6speed auto on all trim levels, all the way to the Limited! This info was dated 3-17-08.
    P.S. The 3.0 V6 is rated at 240hp, not the 230hp previously stated. Sounds like a Hot Rod to me.
    Drum brakes still on rear, thogh:-(
    I wonder why certain peoples complain about the return to the drum brake on the 2008 Escape. Thats all we need at the rear, the rear brakes are almost useless, more than 70% of the braking is done at the front.

Less maintenance , components like the shoes have a much longer life, no dust on the wheel, better and simplier hand brake sytem , ok the are not cool but the are reliable and cheap to maintain.

Tell me what the disc brake are giving me that the drum brake aren't ? Trouble ? you bet !!
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    You are absolutely right, See so many ecno box cars with rear disc, but why, cars are light. Its all about the cost to replace them at the dealer, more than drum brakes. Had a Cavalier with rear drums, never had a problem, stopping was more than adequate. Its all about an expensive repair and appearance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I prefer rear drums too for all those frugal reasons. The original drums on my minivan are fine at 124,000 miles.
  • gilly651gilly651 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2008 XLT with 21k on it. Brought it to the dealer because of a rattle on the driver's side. They replaced the strut mount...same, then said that it was the clips that held the calipers in place, not covered under warranty..still the same noise. I hear it when going over dirt roads...rattle that would drive you crazy. They now say that they have to check with Ford Engineering because they can't figure it out...any ideas...anyone!!
  • shoedawg06shoedawg06 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced the following problem?

I bought an XLT 4WD V6 model in early June. 3 times since then, I have gotten into the truck, put the key into the ignition and turned it to start it. Everything comes on - lights, radio, windows, etc - except the engine does not turn over. It makes no clicking noises or any other indication that I'm attempting to start the vehicle. I did try to jump start it the first time it happened, though I knew it was unlikely a battery problem since everything but the engine worked fine when I tried to start it. The first time this happened I'd been driving it around for an hour or two, then parked for a few hours, and it would not start for nearly 30 minutes. The second 2 times this happened I was in my driveway and it would not start for over 4 hours. But when I went back to it several hours later it started just fine as though nothing was wrong. Each time car was in park. Once I had the door open.

Dealer is giving me the run-around, saying that because they can't reproduce the problem they won't fix anything, and aren't authorized to replace any parts they can't prove are broken. Talked to a mechanic friend of mine who suggested they look at the parking switch (that tells the car it's in park) and the ignition switch - service desk lady is now talking to service manager about my suggestions, though she was clear that she was reluctant to ask them to spend any more time on my truck (might have implied it was a waste of their time, I tried nicely to explain that spending a few hours of their work was worth avoiding the possibility of me being stranded somewhere).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Ford Escape Start Stall Idle Problems may be helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Hi everyone,

I recall some posts last year about winter wipers on 2008 Escapes, and I think the outcome was that nothing was available. Call me naive, but I thought I'd check in to see if Ford or the aftermarket had come up with anything. I'd still like to have something for the winter, and continue to be dismayed that this is the first vehicle I've ever had where winter wipers were not available. I'm also curious to know if the 2009's kept the same wiper connector, or did Ford see the error in their ways? Thanks.
    I had the same problem and of course when i went to the dealer they thought I was nuts. Anyway Ford gave me a pamphlet on something called shaker wiper blades (shakes the ice off) its not cheap though....like $200 installed!!! A few places in the U.S. like Auto Zone said they could get aftermarket blades but I didnt' have my car with me so I didnt buy them because they may not have fit.A company called Siliblade (I think thats how it is spelled , was testing some after market blades.You can find them on the net.I had the phone number and they were aware of the wiper blade problem.It wasn't just the escape, it was alot of 2008 vehicles. Hope this helps!
  • tamster1tamster1 Member Posts: 1
    Im sorry I dont know what TSB means.But I just dropped my car off with what I thought was an oil leak (due to the fact that nothing was leaking until I took it in for an oil change)and when I told the guy it was leaking oil up front without looking he said its not oil its a problem we are having with the transmission cooler sensor? something like that.Its under warrenty but if this is a problem they no about why no recall of the part?anyway it sounds kinda like what you are talking about.But it better be done in the 2 hours they told me it would be.Can you tell me what TSB is?
    TSB is a technical service bulletin. There are far, far more TSB's than there are recalls. From what I've read, a recall is generally not issued (obviously at huge cost to the manufacturer) unless it is a safety issue. Hopefully, they've got the shortage of these bolts solved.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Correct!

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is pretty much the same thing as a recall, in which they are both recorded and known problems and a repair bulletin has been issued to fix the problem. The only difference is that a recall is generally a safety issue in which the problem can result in injury and/or death if not fixed and it is always covered by the manufacturer without a cost to the consumer, basically to cover their a$$es and not get sued. A TSB on the other hand is a bulletin to fix a known problem and depending on your mileage it may be covered under warranty or not. A TSB will most likely be covered by the manufacter if your vehicle is still under the warranty period, but if your not then the expense is on the consumer. TSB's also cover the manufacturer's a$$es in which it may be harder to sue the manufacturer because there was a TSB and the consumer failed or refused to fix the problem. Antoninb is correct, there are far more TSBs then recalls, so whenever an issue arises be sure to look them up, you are very likely to find one that pertains to your specific issue.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not to belabor the point, but unlike a recall, a dealer will not perform a TSB procedure on your car unless the diagnosis indicates that the problem is related to the TSB. You can't just walk up to the service writer and demand that all published TBSs be performed on your car. And if you are out of warranty and don't have a relationship with the dealer, you may as well reach for your wallet, even if there is a specific TSB that covers your problem.

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
  • rivercitymanrivercityman Member Posts: 2
    Finally I've found someone who has a similar problem as me. I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid with 10,000 miles. About 2000 miles ago the rattling started when I would drive slow speeds (10 to 15 MPH) over bumpy pavement. You can hear the rattling from the suspension and also feel the rattle in the steering wheel. The dealer just gives me a shrug. Other than this I love the car. What was your outcome?

George
  • jeffp_032056jeffp_032056 Member Posts: 7
    I've got the same situation, EXCEPT that it't leaning towards the drivers side. Both front and rear springs have been swapped from side to side with no change. Has anyone run across this at all???
  • molly09molly09 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I also bought a 2008 XLT 6Cylider in July 2008. At around three weeks into driving it I had a grinding noice and could also feel it in the steering when just backing out of a parking stall or turning either direction. They replaced the front struts twice and then packet grease in between two 'plastic' discs that are on the new struts. This helped for three months and it was back again. They don't know what it is. Then a 'clicking sound' started no matter whether going forward or backing up. They replaced the wheels twice and still happens. I now have taken it to another ford dealership service dept and they said they could fix it. Well I left it with them for two days this week and when I drove it out of the service garage the clicking was still happening, I am to go back tomorrow morning. They replaced what they called the dust boots' whatever they are. So I am back to square one again. However, now the steering isn't grinding and feels tighter when driving. I also have the spotting seats which just happened. I think I have a LEMON!!!! Good Luck.
  • molly09molly09 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2008 in July 2008, within three weeks I had a grinding in the steering, clicking wheels. They have replaced the wheels twice, the struts 3 times and packed grease in the between two plastic discs on the struts. Well the grinding has finally stopped, but the clicking in wheels is driving me crazy. They finally told me it is the coating on the wheels. My wheels look like chrome but when you tap them they sound like plastic.... So I have taken this up with another Ford Dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they had it two days in the shop this week and said they fixed it by replacing the 'dust boots'... Well it started clicking when I drove it out of the service garage. I take it back tomorrow...Has anyone had this clicking issue. It's sounds exactly like when we were kids and put a baseball card on our bicyle spokes. Please help!!!!
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I would bet that you have a rock or debris stuck between the alloy and the chrome plastic cladding in your wheel. Your wheels are basically a cheap way to provide chrome looking wheels. The reason why your wheels sound like plastic when you knock on them is...because they are! at least the front face of them. Ford is not the only manufacturer that does this, so don't feel cheated out. Anyway have them look closely at your wheels for loose debris in between or perhaps loose cladding. Have them put and a small amount on adhesive in every soke from behind the wheel to see if that does the trick.
  • asa1022asa1022 Member Posts: 1
    67,000 miles

Dealer asking $10K

Under Blue Book value. Manual.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks !!!
  • danielladaniella Member Posts: 1
    I've owned and used my factory installed sunroof for past 2yrs, only 16K mi. Today a grinding noise upon opening it. I asap drove to dealership, service mgr takes a look and says off track. Tells me that a plastic piece isn't showing up where its' supposed to be. There is NO wind flange for this model, so something else inside I don't know. He states he needs to send pics of it to Ford to submit for full payment. However, they won't pay for it if the missing plastic piece isn't found? He says, they need to see broken piece. He repositioned the glass roof so it can close until Monday's appt. This piece could be scrumbled up into the tracking mechanism he says. I was just astounded to hear him say he needed the pictures to tell the story to Ford. What's up with that? Please help I don't have the $$$$ to pay for this repair.
    Hey if its under warranty, its under warranty.The dealer will try to get away with what they can.If dealer says he needs the piece that broke off then is it stated in the warranty it has to be produced in order to be covered??? Dealers make nothing off warranty work and they will do their best to discourage you! I have 2 fords and I am constantly fighting with the dealer over warranty stuff.Read your warranty over again and call Ford yourself or go to another Ford dealer.It sounds ridiculous that they need pictures and they seem more concerned getting their money back from Ford.They are representing Ford and you should point this out to them.I have had paint peeling on my escape and not once did they take pictures! Go back and tell them to fix it and the fact that he knows what peice is missing is sufficient enough.Trust me if you stand your ground it will be fixed. Also go on the net and do searches on the problem, you will be surprsed on what you will find. Also, with 2008 escapes alot were recalled with transmission fluid leaks.Get that checked out too! They might say it isnt on the recall list but tell them to check it!!!
    Good luck!!