Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Suspension

Comments

• lincoln03lincoln03 Member Posts: 13
    That's what i see happens alot. You spend a chunk of money to replace the struts and if its a dealership they will probably charge you for diagnostics. Next the check suspension comes on again but this time it's the height sensors. Then the light comes on again now it's a relay.
    I did the coilover and don't have to worry about those problems again.
  • tamitab100tamitab100 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    I had a successful coil conversion on my 2000 Navigator but the compressor runs for long periods of time and I am afraid it will wear down my battery. Can someone please help me out with this? Also, how do u turn off the check suspension light?

Lastly, when I first heard about converting to coils I heard comments that the ride was the same or just as good as the air suspension...was that an exaggeration? I ask because from time to time I bounce as if I'm riding a wave; nothing major but it's something I definitely did not experience with the air suspension. If you've had the conversion done, please share what significant differences you notice other than The difference in height. Thanks!
  • silvernavisilvernavi Member Posts: 21
    I noticed that the ride is a little stiffer, but who cares...its worth it. Just turn off the air suspension switch to turn the compressor off. As for the check suspension light, just remove the bulb from behind the dashboard.
  • rronteroadrronteroad Member Posts: 1
    i have an 04 navigator with air suspension. i live in las vegas and evrytime the weather starts to get cold my air suspension will not in flate till i have driven the nav for awhile. either after i have have taken it on highway or driven locally for about a half hour. then it works fine. i don`t have an issue all summer long but it hates the cold. any suggestion would be great
  • nonosnonos Member Posts: 6
    I USED TO PLACE A JACK IN THE FRONT RAISE THE CAR WHILE ON AND IT WOULD SOMEHOW CLICK THE PUMP ON AND IT WOULD START TO INFLATE.
    I GOT SICK OF ALL THE UP'S AND DOWN'S AND PUT IN A STRUTMASTER SET UP. IT IS A BIT EXPENSIVE ABOUT $850.00. TO ME THATS A WARNING SIGN
    MINE USE TO DO THE SAME THING, UNTIL IT FINALLY QUIT GOING UP. BEING IN VAGAS, I DON'T SEE HOW THE WEATHER IS PLAYING A ROLE ( IT'S NOT LIKE IT'S SNOWING, BUT WHAT YOU COULD DO IS TO SATURATE IT WITH WD-40- ( I USE IT ON MY TOW-TRUCKS) DON'T WORRY IT WILL NOT HARM ANY ELECTRICAL WIRING. SORRY I DON'T HAVE MUCH MORE, I JUST THINK IT'S STARTING TO GIVE YOU A WARNING. CHANGE THEM TO STRUTS AND NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM AGAIN. GOOD LUCK

CARLOS-- HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
  • panthers76panthers76 Member Posts: 10
    Have you been able to solve your problem? I have a 2005 Navi with a similar problem. When it is 40 degrees outside the front air bags will not lift. After about 30 minutes of driving and the car is warm then they will lift up. I have no problems when the temperature is warmer than 40 degrees?

Thoughts?
    Have you been able to solve your problem? I have a 2005 Navi with a similar problem. When it is 40 degrees outside the front air bags will not lift. After about 30 minutes of driving and the car is warm then they will lift up. I have no problems when the temperature is warmer than 40 degrees?

Thoughts?
  • hsmit007hsmit007 Member Posts: 3
    I have not. Started to buy a new compressor to see if that would fix the problem, but the compressor works. It's only my front that takes about 30 minutes to lift, so I'm perplexed.
  • juan_412juan_412 Member Posts: 5
    One the front air bags most likely the front passenger side has a small leak, this happened to my gator aswell. The air bag dries out and when it's parked for a long time the air bag cracks and releases the air. After driving for a while the air bag warms up and the rubber material swells sealing the cracks but not completely. Check to see once you get home look at the front of the SUV and see if one side lowers first. I did this and had to wait for about an hr or a lil more.
  • michael78664michael78664 Member Posts: 1
    I'm strongly considering a Strutmaster coil conversion on my 2003 Navigator which of course like everyone else is having issues with the air ride suspension during the winter. My question is this: How is the ride height affected once the coil conversion is done? I've seen a couple posts saying that the truck sits higher.

Strutmasters also offers a coil conversion "lift kit" which advertised a 3" front lift and 2" rear lift. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this particular "lift kit" from Strutmasters?

Thanks!
    edited January 2011
    If your navigatorexpedition is 97-02 the air suspension has a onoff switch under the dash board on the passenger side, if the ride is 03-06 the switch is behind the 3rd row seat on the drivers side panel.

And you don't need the strutmaster kit go to a junk yard and get the springs off of an expedition and save your self some $$$. If your front struts are air as well buy them new and have a normal factory ride

I've been hearing strutmaster give off a bumpy ride, got more questions email: janguiano58@yahoo.com
  • charles74charles74 Member Posts: 3
    Hey I don't know what you are talking about man. I have a 2000 Navigator myself and my air bags went out. I bought their conversion kit back in August and I haven't had any problems. I am so glad I don't have to deal with Air anymore. I guess everyone has different experiences, but take it from me I love it. I am glad my buddy told me about Strutmasters.
  • allezrocketallezrocket Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I own a 2003 Lincoln Navigator and just recently I noticed that the Drivers side will stay down or "squatted" and the right side will inflate to driving levels. There are no alarms and the system check says suspension is OK. I just recently washed the truck however I dont know if this is when it started or not. The reason I bring this up is because we are experiencing very cold and snowy conditions lately.

Any suggestions -I am new to the air ride system so I dont even know where to start.
  • charles74charles74 Member Posts: 3
    Allez,

Was this recently? It only sits when its cold outside?
  • navi954navi954 Member Posts: 1
    hello. im having a problem with a back driver side sound when the car is just turned off. its makes a sound that last about 5 seconds(ticking noise) i need to find out what the problem is. can some body please help me. and no the truck does not get higher or lower with the noise. soon as i cut it off it makes it for about 5 seconds then stops with the key already out.
    Hey, are you sure it's not coming from the passengers back side? Listen carefully because if it is, it could be your rear A/C system

If you have more questions email me at janguiano58@yahoo.com or write back here
  • atlfolk74atlfolk74 Member Posts: 2
    Most of the time this is not a dry-rotted bag, it's the O-rings inside that go bad and create the leak. This is the reason it takes so long for the bag to deflate. I'd have the O-rings replaced before replacing the bag, the O-rings only run about $12-$15. This is more of a tip for a mechanically-inclined person with knowledge of how to properly disassemble the bags and resemble them correctly.
  • atlfolk74atlfolk74 Member Posts: 2
    I just worked on an 03 Lincoln Navigator with the passenger front bag leaking all the way down. I replaced the o-rings inside the bag, both height sensors, and the compressor relay at the customers request. When I got to the relay I noticed the connector to the relay was partially melted and the metal contacts from the wire side were burnt. This means that the wires were not making a 100% connection. I then back traced the wires from the height sensor on the passenger side to the relay and noticed the loom and wires were burnt or melted. The harness itself is located to close to the passenger side exhaust manifold. The wires intermittently touch causing the passenger bag to "leak" or "vent" lower than the driver-side. You will need to replace and re-route this harness to stop this problem. I did this as a side job for a friend but I am also a Ford tech. It is NOT the technician that gets paid the thousands of dollars from these repairs. We get a small fraction of the hourly rate and NONE of the profit off of parts sold. We are told by Ford how many hours to charge, we don't decide on our own. In fact sometimes we only get paid for 3 hours on an 8 hour job, it can go either way. Not all techs are bad (as far as just replacing parts), but there are those out there that are simply "parts-changers". If the book doesn't tell them what to do they just replace something till it gets fixed.
  • bied2322bied2322 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Hit a pot hole on the highway, after wards the truck sat higher on the drivers side and lower on the passenger side, crooked! Suspension check light came on, but then turned off again... My husband used his diagnostic machine on it, but no error # appeared. Anyone tell me what the problem could be? We do not think its an airbag since they are still intact. We temporarily turned the suspension switch to off so that it doesnt sit crooked, but what a BUMPY ride, any hep would be appreciated!
  • nonosnonos Member Posts: 6
    this worked for me,

i got a jack and lift the passenger side up, the navigator has a sensor which tells it when the air bag is fully inflated, by jacking up the side thats down, it tricks the sensor, you might have to jack it up 2-or 3 times, but you'll hear the pump click and the air bag should start to inflate.

i got tired of all this and just changed everything over to strut masters, cost me about $800 bucks, but well worth it. turn the switch back on before you lift the gator up.
  • bied2322bied2322 Member Posts: 2
    When the truck was leaning, we turned off the suspension. Turned it back on now and it leveled itself out, but the airbags will not inflate all the way.
  • slowpepslowpep Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a situation very close to what your having yet I corrected the problem with the replacement of my Height Adjuster Sensor on the driver side. Over a period of years, the joints on those adjusters like anything else in the weather can fail. Mine however seized up and with that, gave a faulty reading when the compressor was filling the bags. The arms on those sensors should sway freely and very easily with little to no pressure to lift at all when arms are hanging freely. I basically had to use a pair of pliers to move mine. SO having said that, I replaced both sensors FYI, it's best to replace them both rather then have one working better then the other.. Now my truck levels to the right height with the proper air in all bags. Before just buying the sensors, simply turn the suspension off, and unhook one of the sensor arms from the trucks frame or mounted position located just inside of the wheel and frame and try moving it up and or down check to see if it's seized or not. If it is, then you know what you need to do next. I have also found that the O rings on the bags tend to leak over time and isn't expensive to replace.
  • a11m1ghtya11m1ghty Member Posts: 10
    Have you resolved this issue? I'm in the same place as this post was in 09'. Currently I have both #25 & 26 cut.
  • humnbasshumnbass Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Navigator and it's down on the drivers side but perfect on the passenger side. The odd thing is that some days it's perfect and on other days it's like I stated before. The weird thing is that on the days when it's at the proper height the A/C is on. It's never at it's proper height when the A/C is not on. How strange is this. Any help would be highly appreciated
  • bowronfambowronfam Member Posts: 1
    Hoping I can find some help! Put a new sway bar (not aftermarket, just stock) into my '02 Gator and ever since then the "check suspension" light has been on and the air suspension does not turn on. Anyone know what it could be???
  • fordfighterfordfighter Member Posts: 3
    MY WIFE, not I, has a 2004 navigator. I experienced everything from dropped front passenger, dropped front end, low rider all around, cold weather nonoperational, failed compressor, and blown seal on both front bags. I have replaced the compressor, both front bags and shocks, and the relay. A week ago, I finished on the leveling sensors and it worked and rode like a brand new problem waiting to happen. Yesterday it stopped working completely and is showing the check suspension light. So, I replaced the compressor, relay switch and both the 50 amp and 10 amp inside on the fuse panel, but the compressor is still non responsive. Does anyone know if there are any other fuses or a wiring schematic that I can try to figure out why it is not getting a response?
  • uasi71uasi71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Gator, I just replaced both rear air bags. My problem is the driver side is about 2" lower than the passengers side. Also, I think its the compressor that keeps going off about 30 mins after the car has been turned off. It also continues to turn on while I am driving. Any suggestions???
  • maaligmaalig Member Posts: 1
    Hi i just changed my air suspension compressor, it went on me and my truck was sitting on my 24" rims for like a week. im having problems with the suspension again and i believe the problem is that my rare lift gate is open. is there anyway to shut it of or restart the computer because i believe that is the source of why my suspension wont go up in the front???
    Swap out the air suspension all together! It's junk. I did it before our FL vacation. It takes about 1 hour per shock to swap it out. In the end, no more head aches, and wasted money on O rings, compressors, valves, etc. No brainier. DIY! Believe me, the ride quality is the same!
  • toneloc1979toneloc1979 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 navigator and having a driver side suspension issue. After driving the truck for a few minutes and turning it off and restarting instead of the airbag filling and raising the truck it actually deflates completely and wont raise up after a few hours of sitting still. Once the truck is started a few hours later it inflates just fine and can drive it for hours without a problem. Once i turn if off and come back and turn it on the driver side deflates. Half of the time the check suspension light does not come on. Even when the bag is deflated and i run the system diagonstic i get suspension OK. If i drive the car for a long period with the driver side down i get the check suspension, but not very often. Also when i turn on the car after running it for a few minutes i can actually hear the clicking from the driver side and it deflates the airbag in 3 clicks in less than 10 seconds. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Please help.
    I have a 2005 Lincoln Navigator. This past weekend I was driving and turned the AC on and the positioning that I had of the air was directed toward the body. Every five minutes the air flow would adjust between the body and the defroster. During this process the AC never lost its cold temperature. I orginally thought that the panel that directed and changed the air flow was not working correctly, but I realized that the air kept changing between both positions. Now I am beginning to think it might be an electrical problem.

Any thoughts?
    go to www.ford-trucks.com and look up "blend door". Common issue. Myine hasn't acted up yet (crossing my fingers).
    THanks for the message, however the website is not pulling up. You say its a common issue, but what have you seen to be the fix. Is it the actual blend door or is it something electrical?

Thanks
  • hrubyhruby Member Posts: 1
    Your power brake booster is going bad, had the same problem, its a vacuum leak. If you go under the dash you can probably hear some air leaking and then when you apply the brake it goes away. Its going to cost you about $400, $200 for the part if you buy it yourself online (use autozone) or $600 plus from a dealership cuz they call it a factory part where you have to send it in. Labor is about $200.
  • preciouskimmypreciouskimmy Member Posts: 1
    OK--you will thank me for this--Obviously your suspension is f'd up and it cost between $4000-$6000 to have it replaced. Couple of things, 1-the Ford motor company has problems with all air ride suspension on all trucks and suv's from 1998, all they did was put out a technical service BULLetin, so here's the deal, I refuse to give in, so I did some research and found Strutmasters.com--$710 with shipping, and 4 hours of mine and my husbands time(because we didn't have an impact gun, only $20 at home depot by the way) we shut off the air suspension, jacked up the truck with a hydraulic jack and 2 jack stands and replaced the suspension ourselves. They have a video to watch so any one can do it. The truck rides better now than when new. It pisses me off that Ford/Lincoln have not just corrected the problem. By the way, Ford/Lincoln air suspension is not rated to go below 20'f or above 90'f, which both occur here in Indiana. Good luck, I hope this helps, sorry to carry on. K.
  • burgeykburgeyk Member Posts: 1
    I've aquired quite a bit of knowledge on the 03-06 Navigators as mine has been a lemon, literally. The latches and sensors on this vehicle are notorious for "sticking". Even when the doors are definitely closed, the computer doesn't think so and yes, this will affect your suspension and also interior lights. First you need to try to isolate which door is faulting. If your dash says, "liftgate agar", the first thing you want to check is your rear glass. Sometimes the wiper motor doesn't "park" correctly and the sensor doesn't read that the glass is closed. If your wiper doesn't work, this is most definitely the problem. The fix is less than $200. If it is the actual gate, you can try liberally spraying JB Blaster (a lubricant) into the latch and opening and closing several times to get it to loosen up. This will probably happen again, usually in the winter. Eventually you'll have to replace the latch assembly.
  • brimybrimy Member Posts: 3
    I'm NOT the first and probably won't be the last to say that the "air ride suspension" is nice, but it is designed to FAIL!!!! TOO MANY parts and places for things to go wrong! I replaced my compressor and the front "ride height sensors" and two years later....
    ...the compressor is gone again! Who knows what else!?!? :mad:
    From responses I've seen here the air bags could, and probably are leaking causing the compressor to work harder and thus fail (and there are FOUR of them)!!
    If you plan on keeping your truck, SERIOUSLY consider changing the air ride suspension. A company online, STRUTMASTERS.COM, makes a "coil over" conversion kit and is reasonably priced and your headaches will be gone!!! :blush:
    I've converted mine and it rides just as good as the air ride suspension. :shades:
  • cerberus117cerberus117 Member Posts: 1
    Try checking for a ride height sensor control arm in the wheel well. It will look like a small push-control rod connected to the upper end of the shock strut frame. The other end is connected to a small sensor the swivels up and down as the vehicle changes height. I had the exact same problem you are describing. One of my ride height control arms sheered off at the bolt and the vehicle read it as operating normally but sagged on the passenger side. It should be a quick and easy fix.
  • navistevenavisteve Member Posts: 1
    My relay went on my 2002 navigator, when i go to bypass the relay the compressor turns on but the rear wont lift? ahhhh its driving me crazy this truck is one prob after another right now.
  • jcherian39jcherian39 Member Posts: 1
    do you still have the video of how you changed the suspension?
    Joe
    HOw much did you pay for your ride height sensor? Where did you purschase it from?
    I am in the process of changing my air suspension to springs and struts. I am going to disconnect the air suspension, but looking for the instructions on how to disconnect the system to ensure that I don't get the check suspension light to turn on>

Help....
    Charles74,

Taking your advice about strutmasters and installing it on my 2005 Navi. Looking for the instructions on shutting off the air bag system to eliminate the check suspension light from coming on.

do you have the instructions that you can provide me......

email: damgard76@yahoo.com
    I am in the process of changing my air suspension to springs and struts. I am going to disconnect the air suspension, but looking for the instructions on how to disconnect the system to ensure that I don't get the check suspension light to turn on>

Help....
    http://ma-tvideo.france2.fr/video/iLyROoafIocb.html

There's the video (ignore the french commercial in the beginning).

My truck has the neal down option, so I'm stuck with the warning error message.
    Thank you for the follow-up message. I have seen this video before and it will help me out during my conversion process. From what you know, turning the air suspension off at the switch, will this ensure that the warning light does not come on? I was going to turn the switch off and pull the fuse out for the air compressor?

Also, how do I know if I don't have the "neel down option?"
  • msaurinemsaurine Member Posts: 1
    We decided about a year and a half ago to replace all of the air suspension with traditional coil spring suspension, after the front right side dropped so significantly that the vehicle was undriveable. The cost to replace all of them was about $1200 parts/labor as I recall vs. about $2000 parts/labor for each bag replaced for the air ride.

Anyhow, the ride has been very comfortable and no problems with the actual suspension. However, we now have all kinds of problems with the electric in the vehicle. First, the check suspension signal came on originally and we were told it couldn't be disconnected, so we would just hit reset after it came on and the beeping would stop. Now the beeping will continue randomly, stating door ajar(even though the door is not ajar). Pressing reset does nothing. I have also adjusted the lights as sometimes the cabin lights would just come on randomly. Now the door locks don't all work.

As much as I would like to get my wife out of this vehicle, we really can't afford the upgrade right now, and quite honestly she loves the big suv! What I'd like to do is find someone that knows wiring and find someway to disconnect the notification system. Other then being a gas guzzler, drivers seat doesn't move or heat up, radio/speakers are messed up; the truck fits the needs of our family for trips to the lake and getting kids to and from practices.

We live in West Chester, OH. So if you know anyone, or have any ideas let me know.
  • kevinnykevinny Member Posts: 1
    Greetings and thanks to all for the very helpful posts.
    Currently all four corners of my nav are down. The compressor will work if i feed it power right to it. But i'm not getting any power at all going to the relay (behind the headligt) I tried jumping the A-B and nothing. I've checked all the fuses and relays on the power supply block and they are good. Is there any other relay or fuse that will cut the power to this system?
    Thanks
    KevinNY
    I have the same year Nav. Being that the coil conversion has taken place, our trucks ability to "Kneel Down" upon exiting feature is the issue. I've heard the same beep for 6 mos now since converting. I was told that the error code is not repairable unless you want to replace your conversion kit and spend thousands on the air suspension to be reinstalled.

As far as the door issue, it's a simple fix. The door switch is stuck in one of your doors. Go to your local auto parts store and purchase a can of silicone spray lubricant and hose it into your door internals (door jamb) all the while pulling on the outer door handles (Which allows the lubricant to coat the door's internal mechanisms).
  • simelcowdensimelcowden Member Posts: 1
    We're looking to replace our air suspension in our 05 Navigator with the coils as well. Would you do it again if you had the option? Does it still ride like a car vs. a truck?