Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Lighting/Electrical

djchaz666djchaz666 Member Posts: 1
Its sorta a dumb question, but I was curious on how to change the rear tail light turn signal bulb. Its out. I opened up the trunk and lifted the gray carpet around the lens housing and I dont see anyway to access the tail light. I was looking around is there someway to get to it, do i have to remove the plastic cover over the lens ? I was afraid to attempt to do it not trying to break anything. Anyone have done this yet ?

Comments

• flyshy1flyshy1 Member Posts: 6
    today, (2006 GTP 6 speed) died on the way to work. first indication were the traction & slabilitrack yellow warning lights came on, then the security lock light came on and just about everything in the car (door locks, lights, CD changer) all started blinking, seemed like I was in the Twlight Zone....
    t coasted for a while down hill and the motor idled, and
    when I needed to gather some speed, dropped it into 4th
    and tried to accelorate, but the motor skipped like it was
    on 3 or 4 cylinders... finally I pulled over. Maybe recycling the key would work... no deal.. it wouldn't turn
    over,,, seemed like a dead battery. 1-800-roadside had the
    car at the dealers in 2 hrs. 2 more hrs the dealer is telling me the alternator died and needs replaced. Okay,
    _hit happens, but why didn't the no charge light come on, on the dash to warn me it was not charging. I can't believe
    driving 10 miles would of drained the battery when I left
    home headed to work. So the replacement will take until next Thursday or 6 days to get ?? GM is paying for a rental until the G6 is back running. I am not happy with the dealers answers the failure was so great it sucked all the energy out of the battery? sounds fishy... has anyone else had an alternator go south? what did they tell the reason why?
    bill
  • jhominyjhominy Member Posts: 1
    My wife's G-6 has begun to stall - sometimes at a stop sign or when slowing down. Yesterday, it stalled on the highway going 60 mph.

When this happens, she pulls over and tries to restart the vehicle. The key turns, however the engine doesn't crank and no warning lights come on.

Any ideas?
  • pajake4pajake4 Member Posts: 2
    anyone else have the drls stop working? i replaced the relay at 44 bucks a pop and the fuses are fine :mad:
  • brich1975brich1975 Member Posts: 1
    I changed the battery in my G6 after it died at 49K miles. When I started the car up my odometer read zero!! Has anyone ever heard of this? Thanks in advance
  • mrn320mrn320 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 G6 GT had the exact same problem only when trying to enter and start the car from the keyless entry. The car is almost at it's 3 years and just over the 36K at 37500. All the lights blinking, CD changer cycling, etc... I experienced. I was able to use my father in laws car to jump start the G6 and drive it home approximately 12 miles. When I shut the car off in my garage I tried to restart it and the same blinking light, CD cycling, etc... occured. What I did notice was that when I put my Sears Diehard auto charger on the battery and inserted the key I did not receive the same occurance and the ignition cycled as normal. Based on cost I'm thinking about buying a new battery first or having Sears/Autozone confirm that my current battery is or is not bad. I'm also going to write a letter to GM expressing my deepest frustration with such a poor quality product. My G6 has been maintained at every maintenance interval, garage kept, and operated in the most gentle and respectable manner. Only to find I have a 300-500 dollar problem on my hand no more than 1500 miles out of warranty...amazing.
    Mike
  • chrissy35chrissy35 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 g6 .It caught fire last week after driving 15 miles. I have 14000 miles on it. bought it new. Pontiac will not give me a rental, even though it is still under warranty. They will not even let the dealer look at it. They said it will take over 10 business days before they even call me, to let me know when they will said a team down to the dealership to look at it themselves. I believe the car is totaled, at least by the way the engine looks now. All the wires are burned up and everything else is warped and melted together. It was a great car until this happened and we had not had any problems with it at all until this happened. Pontiac really dropped the ball on this one. I am very disappointed with the way they are handling this.I called corporate to find out why I am not getting a rental and they wouldnt even take my call. I have tried talking to customer service(about 15 times) and they just give me the run around. Anybody got any ideas what legal routes I can take?
  • hkamhkam Member Posts: 1
    I also had a 2007 G6 that this past weekend started on fire. I was driving less than ten miles when it occurred. The entire car was melted and the car insurance has deemed it totaled, but is still investigating. You may try to talk with the car insurance and see if they can find the source of the damage and it might be covered.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I agree! Have your insurance take a look and give their recommendation as to what it is deemed. That way you have that in writing too!
  • tapprachtapprach Member Posts: 3
    Please see the recall info below. If you have this same issue, but are not "included" in the recall - please register this safety issue with Safercar.gov so we can get this recalled. This is a major safety issue that clearly affects more than the cars in the recall.
    Thanks!

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    PONTIAC / G6 2005-2006

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V036000
    Summary:
    GM IS RECALLING 8,012 MY 2005-2006 PONTIAC G6 VEHICLES. THE BRAKE LAMPS MAY NOT OPERATE PROPERLY BECAUSE OF CORROSION IN A WIRING CONNECTOR. CORROSION IN THE CONNECTOR COULD CAUSE THE BRAKE LAMPS TO ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL HAS NOT BEEN DEPRESSED, OR THE LAMPS MAY NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED. IN ADDITION, THE CRUISE CONTROL MAY NOT ENGAGE, AND GREATER BRAKE PEDAL FORCE MAY BE REQUIRED TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE OUT OF PARK.
    Consequence:
    BRAKE LAMPS THAT ARE NOT OPERATING PROPERLY MAY NOT WARN A DRIVER IN A FOLLOWING VEHICLE OF THE BRAKING STATUS AND COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL APPLY A DIELECTRIC LUBRICANT TO THE CONNECTOR TO PREVENT CORROSION. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FOR YOU FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 17, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1- 800-620-7668 OR OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
    Notes:
    GM RECALL NO. 80317. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
  • c328100c328100 Member Posts: 1
    just began, brake lights will remain on with key off/out and cruise control inop 85.900mi
    This is likely the same issue as the G6. I would register this complaint and ask your mechanic to treat the same as the G6 recall. The fix took about an hour and becuase my G6 was not in the recall, the fix was about 200$.

Good luck. Please register the complaint with safercar.gov to make sure this is logged in - they are the only ones that hold car makers responsible for safety issues like this.
  • jwalsh4jwalsh4 Member Posts: 1
    This is an easy fix. Should take 10 minutes.

Pull back the carpet in the trunk that covers the back of the rear light.
    You will see two nuts that you can easily get to and remove. After you remove those nuts, the rear light can be easily removed and you can change out the bulb.

Remember, avoid touching the new light bulb with you hand, use a cloth or the oils on your hand may cause it to burn out again.

After you have replaced the bulb put the rear light back in place and snug up those two nuts. Finally, put the carpet back in place and you're done!

All of this work is done "behind the light". You do not remove any lenses, etc.

Bulbs can be purchased at your local parts store for just a few bucks. Good luck.
  • mccarter27mccarter27 Member Posts: 1
    i just had the same thing happen to my my car lights flash radio flashes seems as if the battery just died and before that i had to have the radio replaced and the turn signal hasn't worked consistently since i bought the car 5months ago it just wouldn't start at all i felt like i was in a twilight zone as well because im like theres no way its a battery or alternator its a electrical problem an that dealer is bullshiting my sister has the same car and she had the same thing happened to her as well did my neighbor so my car is at the dealership as we speak for the 4th time in 5months
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Mccarter27,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Mariah,
    I have stated many issues with my 08 G6 lease and have not received anything like this reply from a GM customer service representative.
    Hello Bvdj84,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Hello Bvdj84,
    I apologize that we haven't spoken to you have had concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    My dealer currently has the new part that will prevent the issue from repeating. Hopefully, it is the fix. Now it is a matter of taking the car in to do the 3hr job.
    :)

My friend had an few years older Pontiac and said she had the same thing happen to her windows. Years, newer model later, the problem is still there. hmm. She now has a 2009 G6 and has to take her car in for a few issues already.
    Hello Bvdj84,
    I am glad that your dealership has found a fix for the problem. :) Your friend with the Pontiac have they ever had the vehicle diagnosed? Thank you,
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2008 G6 2.4L Sedan, 58000 miles. My driver side rear door lock does not operate with the fob or lock buttons. I can lock and unlock it by manual means only. Has anyone else had problems with their electric locks?
    maddog0324,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle into your dealer of choice. They will be able to assist you with your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Gotta pull the door panel and see if power is getting to the actuator when button pressed.
    I hear the actuator click and try to raise and lower the manual rod when I press the buttons on the fob or door panel. The manual rod does not appear to be in a bind. Since I am out of warranty, how difficult will it be to replace the actuator?
    Never done one, hardest part would be getting the door panel off. I use a tool you can buy in any auto parts store, it's for removing the clips that hold a lot of the door panel on.
    Before replacing the actuator I would check it with 12 volts, might have a low voltage problem.
  • kimchanellkimchanell Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    My car was possessed. It would lock, unlock n vice versa by itself. I could not leave the car. Now the driver side rear door will not work. It gets frustrating especially when i have to keep rolling down the window. Ugggh pontiac and General Motors.
  • gerald700gerald700 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 G6 and i cannot change the rear bulb also. I took off the 2 nuts I found and it still wont come out so I can change the bulb
    I think if you just pry gently on the housing assy it should come loose.
    Well, i took off the only 2 nuts and found that near the inner fender there was a black tab that looked needed to be removed, but it did not, it was a insert clip for the screw to enter into. I had to take the light and rock it back and forth like i was angry. It wasnt as simple as they say though but I was able to remove it with more force than I wanted too. thanks
  • lkelaghanlkelaghan Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 G6 and it started to stall out on me while driving. The engine light pops on and the info panel tells me the Engine reduced power/Engine Disabled. I pull over for a few minutes and restart the car and I'm running again. Has anyone ever had this problem??
    never had that prob but have heard the same from other owners. While do not own my 06 anymore it would be feasible to take it to a auto parts store like we have here in Texas called auto zone, they can run a free diag and tell you if any codes come up. That may narrow it down for you
    Hey kimchanell,

Did you get your lock problems resolved? My passenger-side rear door lock operates electrically about 50% of the time and the driver-side rear door lock does not have enough force to lock/unlock at all. I hear the lock accutator clicking on both rear doors. I can lock/unlock both manually, so the linkage is not binding.

maddog0324
  • bdambrowskibdambrowski Member Posts: 3
    Well, I bought my kid a fairly new car (40K miles, about 3 years old) a year ago. I ran great but suddenly we have had all kinds of problems. All of the gauges in the car will go crazy when driving, and all of the warning lights are going on and off (ABS, traction control, error message on the mileage area). The car has been in a GM shop for three weeks and they have changed the BCM, VCM, Onstar Module, and now the engine wiring harness (which I had to pay for, since it is not part of the powertrain).

Well, they called and said this would 100% fix the issue (after telling me that they were going to cover all of the costs, since it has taken three weeks at this time - didnt happen). So I start driving the car home and all of the same issues started back up again. Obviously, the dealership does not know what is wrong and I'm hoping that someone else has had the same issues so I can at least know what to do.

I emailed Pontaic and GM but have not heard back.

HELP!!
    bdambrowski,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I am unsure who you emailed, but can you please email me? Please include the VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your complete contact information. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,

Thanks for the response. I emailed you the requested information. Look forward to hearing back from you soon.
  • longo1longo1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 09 G6 HTC a month ago with 39k mi. A dealer rep vehicle. The battery just seemed to go dead after a month. Classic clicking of the starter relay. I put 12V charger on it and it started and after an hour charge it started. I placed a volt meter on the battery with the engine running and it showed 14.18 V. I let the car sit for a day and it did the same thing. It's now on a charger. I'm afraid of getting stranded. I love this vehicle, just don't like this issue.
  • bucknut33bucknut33 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Pontiac G6. The car has about 44K miles, I have replaced the battery 4 times, the first had a bad cell and was replaced under warranty. We have had a problem with the battery going dead especially when it rains, the other issue is that the factory installed remote start does not work. They ran a parabolic test but could not fine any drain. There are 2 codes in the computer P0650 & 1380 which they associate with the remote start. They want to remove the steering column to get to the control that is for the remote start but cannot tell me if this problem is related to the battery problem.

The car has a sunroof that had a problem with the gutters & the drain tubes when it was new, we had the fix done under the recall. Before the recall was performed, the rear carpet would get wet and it you went over a bump with the radio on the AM band there would be considerable noise/static from the radio.

The car has started fine since we had it back to the dealer until the rain we had this week and the again the batter had to be jumped. I believe I am getting a short when it rains, possibly from the sunroof which appears to be loose when it is closed although it doesn't appear to leak.

Any Suggestions?
    Do you plan on taking the car back to the dealership? If you give your VIN, I can look further into the situation. Keep me posted on your progress, thank you!
    Joey, GM Customer Service
    Yes, But I am going to take it to a different GM dealer that is closer to my home and I have a higher confidence level in.
    Can you send me an email address and I will be happy to send you the VIN #?
  • kcirederfkcirederf Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get your car fixed? if so what was the problem
    Nope. car has been in the shop for over nine weeks!! I talk to GM at least a few times a week, along with the dealership that has my car. GM is providing a rental car, so I'm not out of pocket.

The dealership thinks they have fixed the problem, but that is not the first time I've been told that.

Buy American? lolol Not again, unless it is a Ford. Had my truck for five years, not a single issue!
    bdambrowski,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. If you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    My son has the car at college so I have not have a chance to get it to another GM dealer. I did stop by and talk to them and they believe they can fix the problem.
    bucknut33,
    Please feel free to email me directly with any questions comments or concerns. I apologize for your frustrations. Please keep me updated on your progress and situation. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cherlobcherlob Member Posts: 1
    The left rear brake and turn signal lights have stopped working on my 07 G6. Additionally, the key fob has stopped working to unlock the doors. It still works to open the trunk and lock the doors, but when performing these functions, the left rear lights do not flash. I had the bulbs replaced, but still not working. Any ideas what the problem might be and how to correct it? Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
    I just picked my Pontiac up from Voss Chevrolet in Centerville, Ohio. They determined that the problem was in the body control module. It appears the module was staying on for 40 minutes each time the car was shut off. I also had to replace another battery. With the electrical issues we have had with this car, my guess is that the BCM was faulty from day 1. The dealer from where the car was purchased preferred to blame an aftermarket stereo add-on than looking for a problem. When I had it in to them in August of this year it appears they were looking up the wrong tree, and I wasted a few hundred dollars with them. It appears I would have spent hundreds of additional $$ if I would had left it with that dealer.

With the money I have spent on this car between this repair, 5 batteries, and having to replace all of the brakes & rotors at 44,000 miles, GM has some work to do to earn my future business.
    Have they checked the body control module? I just picked up my car and replacing this has appeared to fix the problem.
  • kittydogkittydog Member Posts: 5
    We purchased my husband's 2005 G6 3 years ago from Carmax and it has been back to Carmax multiple times. Each time, I have complained about the electrical. The last 2 times I took it in I complained about the remote not working, the front driver turn signal not working, the air temperature not working. In August Carmax repaired the airbag switch, power steering, and struts. They sent it to the dealer for the cruise control. I told them at that time that there was a problem still with the electrical (the remote wasn't working, the driver front turn signal worked intermittently, and the air temp was wrong). Got it back and all they did regarding that complaint was change the bulb in the turn signal. It worked intermittently for the next 3 months. On Thanksgiving the alarm started going off every time the car was locked. I took it for inspection and it failed due to the turn signal and the fog lamps. The mechanic replaced the bulbs in the fog lamps for $200+ but said there was no power going to the turn signal. Since we bought the extended warranty from Carmax I took it back there. They said that they fixed the turn signal (broken wires behind the bumper cover) but had to send it to the dealer because they couldn't get a BCM reading and believed that was the problem with the alarm and air temp. There was some back and forth between Carmax and the dealer because the dealer wanted $1400 to rewire the electrical and the warranty didn't want to cover it because they said it was caused by an after market alarm (which was in the car when we bought it from Carmax). Today, two weeks later, I get the call to pick up the car. At first the air temp read correctly but then I turned on the turn signal and it wouldn't work. The bulb lights up but doesn't flash. Now the fog lamps are not working even though they were when I brought it in. Then suddenly the air temp started to malfunction again. The dealer replaced the outside air temperature sensor and the engine wiring harness. Carmax replaced the battery because they said it was bad when they got it back from the dealer. I left the car at Carmax so that the master mechanic can look at it again on Tuesday. Any ideas what could be wrong with this thing? It has been nothing but a nightmare since we bought it. :sick: :lemon:
  • kittydogkittydog Member Posts: 5
    Update: The car came back from the dealer again and Carmax said that it still isn't fixed. The turn signal and the air temp are right (all the dealer did was clean a BCM connector) but the fog lights still don't work. So the dealer is sending it to the dealer again because they said it seems to be a "computer issue." Any ideas would be helpful. They've had the car a month. Thanks. :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Kittydog,

Are you working with a GM dealership on this? We're available to follow up with them and see how things are progressing with your vehicle.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service