Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Tires and Wheels

Comments

• azgrandazgrand Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2010
    So far, the lug nuts are holding them on. I had to use a Dremel and enlarge the lug nut holes in the wheel covers -- at first they were too small and the lugs would not tighten enough to hold the wheels properly. When I tried to snug them down, the lugs cracked the plastic wheel cover around the lug nut. After enlarging all the holes, the lug would contact the wheel-stud carrier instead of the wheel cover.

The covers came with squares of double-sided foam tape that are suposed to secure them to the wheel without having to rely on the lug nuts. I didn't feel like using the tape in case I decide to take the covers off or if I have a problem with them. Sometimes pulling double-sided tape off a painted surface can be near impossible. Hopefully they will be OK the way I have them installed now. Time will tell.
  • manoharmanohar Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 mercury sable wagon now past 200,000 miles. recently it showed hi-lo spots wear pattern on the inside wall in the front. otherwise the tires look very good.

alignment is perfect. struts although very very old look fine. front end linkages are fine. puzzled what is causing this strange wear pattern.

wal-mart technician identified it when i went there for the usual rotate-balance job.

any ideas?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    edited April 2010
    Irregular wear is caused by misalignment and aggravated by insufficient inflation pressure and insufficient rotation practices.

My experience says that the published alignment tolerances are too wide. Not the target value, but the allowable deviation from that value. I think it ought to be half of what is published.

Put another way, the alignment should be within the inner half of the spec.

You should be aware that even vehicles that do not have a pull can be out of alignment. There are settings where one out of spec condition is offset by another out of spec condition – typically camber vs toe.

Also, many alignment techs think that if the factory did not make provisions to make adjustments for the alignment, then they can’t make an adjustment and will declare the vehicle “OK”. This is totally wrong.

ALL alignment settings are adjustable, but it may require an eccentric bolt, some shims, or slotting a hole. A GOOD alignment tech will know what to do and the vehicle should leave a shop with ALL the alignment settings close to the nominal.

In your case, the "misalignment" is probably in the rear, and may have been aggravated by insufficient rotation. "They" say you should rotate every 5K to 8K miles.

When the tires were rotated, they probably had that wear pattern, and now are on the front. So look to the rear for the "misalignment" and consider how long the tires were there.
  • manoharmanohar Member Posts: 12
    excellent analysis! many thanks!
  • r7nr7n Member Posts: 5
    My dealer always puts 37psi in the tires. This causes rougher rides and increased tire wear in the center line of the tires. I failed to lower the pressure to the recommended 30psi for a long time because I liked the increased fuel mileage. However, I eventually noticed the increased tread wear in the center line and now lower the pressure after leaving the dealer, if not in the pickup area. I have complained about their over pressuring the tires and they always respond that they fill to the Hyundai recommended pressure. I guess the door jam recommended tire pressures mean nothing to them, as I have pointed out to them. I currently maintain about 29psi in the tires to help even out wear across the tire. Once tread depths are equal across the tire I will return to the recommended 30psi. BTW, I have 57K on my 07 and the original Michelin tires. I believe the original tread depth was 10/32" and they are currently at an average of 6/32". I rotate the tires every 8K miles, which is every other oil change. I really like Michelin tires for their quiet ride and handling performance in wet conditions. These are the same tires that I ran on my Lexus LS400.
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    Wow on all accounts. I cannot believe your dealer? What are they thinking????? Glad you know to put the pressure back to 30psi, mine says 31psi, but that's irrelevant IMO.

But, to have 57K on the original michelins and still liking them is mind-blowing ot me. I bought a used '08 with 25K and couldn't wait to get those harsh-riding, noise-making tires off my car.

I put a set of Continental DWS and love the difference. It's amazing how most Azera owners hated the michelins and a few love them. Maybe it's QC at michelin, I dunno.
  • silverfox1silverfox1 Member Posts: 91
    I currently have an 07 Azera Limited with 25K miles on it. The Michelins have been rotated every 7500 miles and they are very noisy. The fronts are worst after being moved from the rear. Slight feathering that is slowly correcting itself but the loud noise is still there. I want to go to the Continental DWS's but have to wait for the distributors to get their stock in order. How many miles do you have on your DWS's and what if anything have you found about them relative to performance, ride, noise, etc?
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    I have only ~2000 miles on them. No complaints whatsoever to this point. I cannot compare them to anything else other than the stock Michelins that came on it, and they are vastly superior to hose.

You may not have much luck finding these in the stock size. I found just one dealer who happened to have 4 in stock when I bought mine, all other dealers had them on backorder.

I went to Conti's website and they don't even show the stock size for the Azera listed. Perhaps you can visit their webiste and contact them regarding these tires in the stock size.

Wish I could be more helpful.
    The tire dealer I deal with in Wisconsin has 9 distributors for tires and all are out of stock on the Coni DWS for the Azera as well as 15 other sizes. The demand must have exceeded the inventory I guess. I have a 06 Sonata and I replaced the Michelins with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's and they are a big improvement over the Michelins in ride quality. The Sonata was built in AL and did not have the noise problem as I am having with the Azera. The Azera being built in Korean would have Michelins from there or Japan and that may be the difference in quality of the tire. I really want the Conti DWS for winter driving as they are rated better than the Bridgestones.
  • 3gencat3gencat Member Posts: 5
    I bought an 06 Azera with 20k miles on it about 1 1/2 yrs ago. An off lease car and the OEM tires had never been rotated and not consistent on pressure. The dealer said not to rotate as would likely cause vibrations based on how tread was worn. I ran them to 40k miles. I love the car but road noise and handling were concerns. When turning from a stop, it was easy to break loose the front tires from my first day. After reading here, I know why.

After reading here and other tire reviews at other sites, I decided to try the Altimax HPs as replacements. I ordered from Treadepot.com and had shipped to a local shop for mounting and balancing with total for all at about $550. In remembering back to when I bought the car with decent tread left, what a difference these tires make. Quieter. Better handling in dry and wet. I really have to try to get the front tires to break loose in any situation.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on new tires, and though still not a great handling car, I am much more confident with these tires than OEMs. We'll see how they do with some snow next winter. Thanks for all the advise on replacement tires and other subjects.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Another Altimax HP convert! :D You've basically come up with the same characteristics I did. They really are a good tire for the money...can't go wrong!
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Right on allmet33, you convinced me 8K ago and I couldn't be more pleased. :)
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2010
    My suspicion is that the car and its strange suspension beat up tires. I too had to change tires around 25K due to the noise.Goodyear Assurance on now. Have 15k on the new ones and they are fine but way too early to tell.
    Oskidunker1...not sure if there's any truth to that. One thing I can say...with the OEM Michelins, if you let the car sit for a few days with no driving, the tires would get flat spots that you would hear and feel for a few miles once you did start driving. This was when the tires were still relatively new. Having replaced them with the Altimax HP's...never have that problem now.
    I finally replace those noisy Michelin's on my 07 Azera. I went with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's instead of the Continental Extreme DWS's. The Continentals are still back ordered and I just got plain tired of waiting for them to be available. Needless to say the new tires have brought my Azera back to what it was when I purchased the car. The noise is gone and the ride is improved. I also had a four wheel alignment done and all four wheels were out of spec on toe readings. This may have been the reason that the Michelins became noisy. I only had 27,500 miles on them and they were only half worn. Have your alignment checked before going with new tires.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Right on silverfox1, completely agree with about alignment. Had the same problem with my Michelins caused by poor alignment when I puchased my 08 with 5K on the speedo. Changed to General Altimax HP's, got aligned, much quieter ride. :)
  • dbrad4dbrad4 Member Posts: 2
    I have 62k miles on my Azera and just put the 3rd set of tires on it. The Hyundai dealer sold be the 2nd set which started "feathering". All I know is I started hearing noise at 6k miles (on new tires) and continued taking the car back to the dealer. Finally, they told me they couldn't do anything about the tires since it was a warranty issue. By this time I had 20k + on the tires.

Tell me more about the TSB and when it came out.

Thanks!
    Sounds like the dealer did not do an alignment to correct possible toe problem. I believe they would have charged you if they did it. The toe condition will cause the ties to feather and cause the noise that you are hearing. Rotation every 5000 miles after the alignment is a necessity to keep the tire wear in check.
    These tires have been great, however with 17,300 miles on the tires, the tread left is only 4/32 on 2 and 3/32 on the other two. I have rotated and kept good pressure in the tires. Good year warranties these for 65k and The Tire rack has said they will prorate it and give me a credit when I order new tires.$47.00 shipping charge to ship the tires back to the Tire Rack.'

I have never seen a tire wear out so fast. maybe I can get 25k out of these if I am lucky.Do you think it is the car?
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    Oskidunker1,
    I had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on a 2002 Mercury Marquis and they went 70,000 miles before I had to replace them due to wear. I traded this car in on a new 2007 Hyundai Azera.

At 28,000 miles on the Azera, my wife picked up a nail and ran on the tire after it went flat long enough to break down the sidewall. I was going to have to buy a new tire, so used this as an excuse to go ahead and buy a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds. As of today, I have 12,500 miles on the Goodyears, and can discern no noticeable tread wear.
    Seems my tread guage was worn out. I re checked with a new one and found 5/32 left
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Ok everybody out there in Azzyland.....what is the best performing tire dressing for my Azzy's tires that you would recommend..????...consider deep shine, gloss, long-lasting, easy to apply, spray, gel, etc

Thanks
    Personally...after you have scrubbed the tires really good, dried them off nicely...I love how the Armor All Extreme product works. I also do not apply it with the applicator they provide, I prefer to use the open cell sponges (regular kitchen sponge) as it does a much better job.
    Allmet
    I used the Extreme in the past..it's a good "showroom" product, but after a dirve of 5 miles down the road, it no longer has the deep black color and gloss....the best I've found is Wet Jet...an aerosal silicone spray...it's expensive though,about $6 for a can.....I guess the high gloss products have a lot of glycerine and the longer lasting products have a higher concentration of silicone......justlike a lot of things today...they only last as long as the 1st good rain....
    Could be the way you apply it...don't know why you experienced that issue. I've never had that problem. Personally, I really prefer the Exteme product because it doesn't sling off the tire either. Having a black car, that can be a real issue with a lot of other products.

No tire product will look as good 5 miles down the road as it did when you applied it in the driveway, nature, gravity and physics see to that every single time. One thing that I've learned about dressing tires...it's always best to start with a tire that's as clean as possible, so make sure you scrub the tires really good. ;)
    mine's black also.....followed directions per label....we don't really have a problem with "dirty tires" here in FL like you would up north.....not much mud; mostly sand
    thanks
    Dealer inflated mine to 28 pounds at the last service. Seems low.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    On every vehicle sold in the US, there is a sticker called the vehicle tire placard, that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.

If you are using the size listed on the placard, then that is the pressure you should use.

According to Tire Guides - a booklet that summarizes vehicle tire placards, the placard ought to say 30 psi.
  • anthonydganthonydg Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    The Altimax HP and Goodyear Assurance tires are H rated, aren't they? I too am very dissatisfied with the road noise from my V-rated OEM Michelins. Did you notice any reduction in performance (e.g. more slide when taking an exit ramp at higher speed) when downgrading to the H rated tire?

If any of you have downgraded to H rated in other tires, please respond, too.

Thanks for any help.
    Anthonydg...unless you plan on traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph on a regular and constant basis...V-rated tires are overkill for the Azera. I have been riding on H-rated tires with absolutely no problems what-so-ever. I am one who switched to the General Altimax tire and actually have seen an increase in performance aspects of tires vs the OEM Michelins. Cornering is more sure, no slippage during wet weather, sure footing in moderate snow and icy conditions and no sliding when taking exit/entrance ramps at higher speed either.

I have made the switch and I know of one other person who has switched to the Altimax. There are a couple of folks that have switched to the Goodyear Assurance and even a couple that have gone with Kuhmo tires...all have reported better performance vs. OEM Michelins.

Good luck!
  • anthonydganthonydg Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. Anyone had any negative performance experience with downgrading from V to H rated tires?
  • cjsazeracjsazera Member Posts: 1
    Took a chance on the Altimax tires based on some of the recommendations here - OMG! what a difference! The car was so noisy before, I didn't really believe that it could be the tires, and I was considering getting rid of the car.

Now that I have the new tires, I can actually hear myself think when I drive. Handling and braking seem at least as good as before, and the ride is confortable. Got the tires from DiscountTiresDirect.com for $480 drop shipped to the garage. Treadepot.com was about $490, and TireRack.com was around $520.
  • cwj3620cwj3620 Member Posts: 14
    2006 Azera Limited. After getting 74,450 miles on my OEM Michelin's (rotated all 5 every 7k miles), I installed 5 Continental Pro Contact with Eco Plus at a total cost of $865 (including balance and 4 wheel alignment ). I never truly had a complaint with the Michelin's until now; WOW they were noisy and hard as compared with the Eco Plus. Additionally, for the entire 74,450 miles I got 26 MPG as indicated on the MPG gauge within the car (never reset the gauge). After 2,750 miles on the Eco Plus (I reset the MPG gauge with the new tires) I am getting 28.4 MPG! I decided on these tires because I drive a lot and rotate often and the Eco Plus are not "Directional" tires, so that allows me the ability to rotate all 5 tires extending my investment. I strongly recommend you consider these tires, oh yes they have an 80,000 tread life.
    should do a 4 wheel alignment with the new tires
  • 3gencat3gencat Member Posts: 5
    Have about 7k miles on these tires, rotated once. They still handle and ride much better than OEM tires ever did. In response to post about going from V to H rated tires, this has never been a problem, but I don't exceed 100 mph on a regular basis.

We just had a snow storm in Kansas, only about 6", but lots of wind and drifting. Azera did great and never felt in danger of getting stuck, although many others were not as lucky. Would recommend these to anyone looking for good tires at reasonable price.
  • justinrwjustinrw Member Posts: 18
    I've been riding on the Altimax HPs for around 30k miles or so. They are definitely less noisy than the OEMs. I think the performance is great as well. I live in Ohio and drive in a lot of snow and have never had a problem getting around in the winter. They are pretty affordable, I think I had all 4 of mine purchased and installed for $500-525 in 2009.

I've had to purchase 2 new tires in the last 6-8 months because of running over screws and apparent cupping that put damage near my side wall. I never really trust the tire stores when they say the tire is shot and needs replaced, but tend to play it safe and get a new tire.

It looks like I'll need to replace the original 2 HP tires in a year or so, which would put the tire life at about 45,000 - 50,000 for me. I drive a mix of highway/city that is probably 70% highway and 30% city.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase, but I still feel like there has to be better out there as far as road noise and durability. I'll probably have to spend a little more money to get it though.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    I am one who switched to the Goodyear Assurance tires and actually have seen an increase in performance vs the OEM Michelins. Cornering is more sure, no slippage during wet weather, and no sliding when taking exit/entrance ramps at higher speed, response is much better and ride is smoother and quiter. I had used these tires on a previously owned Mercury Grand Marquis, and was so happy with them that I put a set on my Azera as soon as I found a good excuse to!
    Have 25,000 on Good Year Assurance. They are starting to make the same noise as the Michelins. If I get 30k out of these , I will be lucky.The supposedly have a 60k guarantee. All these tires wear out at the same time. Next time I am going with the cheapest tires I can find, probably Kumho.
    hey...check out General Altimax HP's...I have 30k miles on mine and do not have the noise issue.
    I may take your advice and get the Altima. best price I can find on tire rack is $124.00 ea plus $55.00 shipping. they are offering a $50.00 Visa card if I order before June 4th.

I was considering the Kumhos but all I have read says they are made out of very soft rubber and don't wear well.

I was told there are other tires that may wear longer than the Altimax but may not perform as well in the snow. Occasionally I ski at Tahoe. I just bought a season pass and may be retiring soon so I may go there more than normal. Maybe the Altimax is the best solution for a quiet ride, traction and maybe 40k wear? anyone driven more than 30k on these?
    edited May 2011
    Treadepot.com has them for $112/ea.

Altimax HP's @ Treadepot.com

I had just over 35k on mine before I had to change them due to bad alignment, inside edges were wearing badly, but from the middle to the outer edge...still good tread left. I can tell you this, that last big snow storm that caught DC by surprise...I was able to navigate 6-8" of snow with no problems. Didn't get stuck once, slip or slide anywhere in trying to get home that night. I will DEFINITELY get another set of the Altimax HP's. :shades:
    Thanks for the link. I will probably order from them in a few weeks. Their shipping is $30.00 higher than Tire Rack but overall price is still lower. I wonder if they would budge on the shipping if I called them?
  • vegascanyonvegascanyon Member Posts: 2
    I have an original pair of Michelins with 88,890 miles on them, and they developed cupping on the inner tread on the rear wheels even after getting a dealer alignment which was a waste of money. These tires spent the first 51,000 on the front and the last 37,890 miles in the rear. I have maybe 3-5k miles left before I replace them. My next move when the time comes is to buy the cheapest tires and go to a non-dealer alignment shop and have them align the rear tires with neutral toe (ie, neither toe-in or toe out). The other pair which spent 51,000 miles in the rear have about 40% tread left but are so badly cupped on the inner edge that I had to replace them because the noise was unbearable. I use one of them as a spare. I live in southern
    California so noisy bad roads are the norm, and I have become more tolerant of a noisy ride so I am just going to keep the cupped tire a little longer to save money. Uneven wear in the front has never been an issue.
    Tread depot says they can't get the tires for 2-3 weeks. Since the $50.00 mail in rebate from general expires 6/2 , looks like I will be going to The Tire Rack. Hopefully they will have them.
    My oem Michelins didn't last long and were "chopped" as you are describing..got a 4 wheel alignment and all 4 were out of spec...I take extreme care while driving and avoid curbs and holes, etc...now have Yoko's all around and ride, noise, and handling is much better...good luck
    edited May 2011
    Tires direct has the Altimax HP's for $123.00 each with free shipping AND a $50.00 rebate from general is available! Just ordered 4. :)
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    Just had 4 new Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires installed for $141.00
    each. They are much better than the OEM Michelins.
    you should get 4 wheel alignment to make sure all is ok...it will extend the treadlife of your new tires
    Re: Goodyear Assurance Tires. I am just replacing mine with 25k on them Worn in the middle of the tires. I kept 32 psi in the tires. Maybe thats too much. I would go with no more than 30psi.I rotated and watched the pressure still they didn't last. Nice tire, though.
  • richardcotrichardcot Member Posts: 39
    I got nearly 48K out of the OEM Michelins which had no uneven wear and the car tracks perfectly straight on a flat road so I decided I'd rather leave the alignment alone.