Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I thought the 3.0l was plenty adequate, and made that pretty clear after several test drives.

I'll take the extra grunt, no doubt, but a 0-60 time under 8 seconds is not a priority for a vehicle with a mission to carry a family around in comfort.

It was fine before. Should be more than fine now. :shades:
    I'm going to hurry up and watch it before they black hole this one, too!

The C&D write-up is gone, and that video on YouTube is now marked private.

Watch it now, folks, before this one's gone! LOL :D
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Still not yet.

I just tried and both the C&D link and that YouTube video are both not working. :sick:
  • rp64rp64 Member Posts: 13
    FYI, you can read the article by pulling up the cached pages on Google.
    Cool tip, thanks.

I captured the torque curve, if others missed it.
    I tried, but can't. Will you tell me how to do it?
    No surprise, the old one did, and with more crumple space the new one should only fare better. :shades:
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    The numbers are exactly the same as for the 2006 and 2007 Tribecas. Looks like they only crash tested the 2006.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ...do not include heated seats or a moonroof. Nor can you get a rear DVD on the 7-seat model. You do get heated outside mirrors though.

Bob
    WAAAAAAAH!

Are you sure? Even the 5+2?

I'm devastated. :cry:

Looks like Hyundai is the only one that still offers heated cloth on my short list.

I'm bummed. That's a lot of disappointments:

* SAC do not protect the 3rd row
    * cloth seats no longer heated
    * 10-15% fuel economy gains vanished
    * small gas tank didn't get any bigger
    * prices aren't really down, they de-contented instead

An 09 Forester keeps looking better and better.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    An 09 Forester keeps looking better and better.

Until you try to stuff the neighbor's children in! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    EVEN THE NAME IS DE-CONTENTED! They took out the "B9"

Charlie
  • sb69coupesb69coupe Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if the exterior paint colors for 2008 have been announced yet? I can't find anything on subaru.com but looking at fitzmall they list an incoming Tribeca in "deep bronze" which is not a 2007 color.

I'm holding out hope for a red or burgundy.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I believe there are two new colors, Deep Bronze being one of them. I don't remember the other color.

Bob
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2008.html#colors
    The 09 Forester would replace our other car, an 02 Legacy.

In fact, that's the plan. We picked up a minivan, and will shop for a Forester a year from now.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Our local dealer received 5 '08 Tribecas and we gave one a try. The 3.6 and updated transmission have made a huge difference. It really jumps off the line and seems much stronger in the mid-range as well. The transmission no longer needs to hunt for the right gear and is very, very smooth. In addition, the visibility is much improved. My only negatives are no increase in mileage (16/21 w/the '08 standards) and you still cannot get a sunroof with cloth interior. Also, my 6'4" son found the back seat rather cramped, but he's away a college most of the time, so that's not a show stopper.
    Moonroof is gone from the cloth models, and so are the seat heaters, AFAIK. Has anyone seen a cloth model to confirm the heaters are gone? Spitz' web site might be wrong about that.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I just hate it when they keep making cars better and better.
    :P
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I know you buy the previous years model and you see the new one and it's like "D'oh!" :surprise:
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    What are these funky little icons at the bottom of evrybody's posts?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Little advertising connects that probably earn the site a few extra dollars. They are full of cookies. Clean out your cache.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    No they aren't for advertising, they are icons for digg, del.icio.us, netscape, addthis and stumbleapon. Which are sites used to promote media(articles, videos, pictures, forum posts, etc) and share and rank the media.

If you come across media, a forum post in this instance that seems helpful to you and you feel others should know about click one or more of those icons and promote it on that site. Others will then be able to link back to Edmunds and read what you are referring them too.
  • webtekiewebtekie Member Posts: 1
    I've been driving Nissan Murano for 3 years now (lease). Yesterday I went to see what's out there as a replacement when lease runs out. Went to Honda to see CR-V - yack! The car is like AWD Civic - no good. Then I went to Tribeca. All I can say is "wow"! The car is awesome. I liked everything is about it: the design, the comfort and the new power ('08 from photos). The whole space ship look is what I liked best.

Although I did want the original controversial design which I like very much, looks like it's not going to happen since my Murano's lease ends March '08, but who cares? I drive inside the car anyway :)

I think Murano was the pioneer in the urban SUV trend and Subaru took it to the next level.
  • tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    Hmm, to me, taking a quick glance at the front of the car, it strikes me as a Chrysler. Does anyone else feel this way?
    0-60 improves by leaps and bounds, from 9.5 to 7.8 seconds. That's the difference between adequate and quick nowadays. :shades:

Oh, and slightly better mileage on cheaper gas.

Edit: yes, the grille does resemble Chrysler's, but so what? It's not unattractive, and the rest of the package (shoulder lines, concave surfaces) make it look unique overall.

Remember, this was supposed to be a Saab.
    AutoWeek was more lukewarm. They were never kind to the original, either, though.

They say the CX9 is sportier, but I disagree. I drove them within a week or two of each other. The CX9 is very large, it feels big, and far from sporty. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but the Tribeca feels a lot more nimble and manageable in size.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Although style is not near the top of my car shop list, '08 Tribeca's interior is way too much curve to my taste (or too modern).
  • scouziscouzi Member Posts: 28
    Subaru has officially removed the Premium gas recommendation on the 2006 and 2007 Tribecas by the way.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Where did you hear that? I have been running mostly premium, but have tried regular at times as well & have never noticed any difference in either performance or gas mileage. I have 06 now with over 37k. Do mostly highway driving, trip computer has averaged just about 21 mgs since I got the vehicle at 10k and the actual mileage per consumption probably around 20.5. In Southeastern, MA premium usually 20 to 25 cents higher than regular, so that's what I have been running but, if I knew for sure premium no required (I always though it was "recommended" not "required" would probably go back to regular. All comments would be appreciated.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    This has been well discussed, many times on a number of Tribeca forums. I believe that the consensus is:
    Premium is not required.
    you get a noticeable amount of power increase with premium.
    Mostly noticeable at low RPM, off the line and hot weather.
    Freeway driving- probably won't make a difference as you're at higher RPM.
    Some have noticed a fuel economy difference, others not. Probably depends on if your foot uses that extra power or not.
  • scouziscouzi Member Posts: 28
    The dealer I bought my 2007 said that there was an official notice from Subaru to that effect. That's after I had bought and paid for the car. It wasn't a sales pitch.

I didn't ask him to see that notice.
    I don't see how they can do that. The owner's manuals were already printed.

Not to mention, they've been going to a great extent to tout the fact that the 08s run on regular octane, and keep pointing out that the outgoing model preferred premium.

They did say all along that regular was OK, but premium was recommended. David Sullivan's slide show on the new H6 went as far as to mention that the new one makes more power with less octane.

Maybe it's all in how you interpret the rules. You can use regular, sure, but you will give up a few horses.

When the H6 came out, it made 212hp on premium fuel. Subaru officially stated the engine made 208hp on 87 octane, so you gave up 4hp.

If they officially declare regular fuel is "recommeded", then they would have to officially re-state the HP figures. The 3.0l does not make the full 245hp on 87 octane, that's just common sense.
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    "0-60 improves by leaps and bounds, from 9.5 to 7.8 seconds. That's the difference between adequate and quick nowadays."

I think the new Tribeca's 0-60 time improves from lethargic to adequate. IMHO, the '08 Tribeca's conservative styling and average performance will not be an easy sell against the dozen or so other $25 -$35K CUV's on the market. As a consumer, you gotta love all this competition, though. I smell big factory incentives from all the CUV manufacturers by August/September.
    True, the market is MUCH more competitive than it was in 2006, when the original Tribeca came out.

From that point of view, the 2008 may not be in a much better position overall. Especially in terms of interior space.

The CX9, Veracruz, Enclave/Acadia/Outlook are all much roomier. Customers shopping for space will pick those over a Tribeca.

Subaru will compete more with the Murano, FX35, MDX, RX350, and Highlander, on the smaller end of the scale. If we're talking the sporty end, remove Highlander and RX, basically.
    It's not only how good your product is, you get to let the world know about it. This in regard to the poor job that I believe SOA has done getting the word out. You only have to see that the 08s are on the dealerships but the reviews just came out this week. MotorTrend has a light review on it in the same edition where a Lexus RX350 is compared to a Veracruz. Last month they compared the CX-9, the Acadia, etc. Same happened with all the product line across the magazines. I've forgotten about the last time (if any) that a Forester XT was in a car by car comparo. Or the Outbacks.

So the buyers are going to the dealerships empty handed. My neighbor is in the market and hasn't heard about a bigger Subaru than the Outback.

if I were the SOA CEO, people would be changing places in New Jersey.
    I'm not sure if the Forester XT was ever in a comparo!
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    When the XT was first released, there was almost nothing to compare it to, really - no other small SUV offered the same kind of performance at that price point.

Now we're being inundated with sporty crossovers, but most of them are in the midsize category offering more room than the Forester, and at the same time the FXT is getting a little long in the tooth (although the 2008 Cross Sports version with the STI wheels is HOT).

I'm pretty sure that if the Forester grows any with the 2009 redesign, which it undoubtedly will, we'll see the XT stacked up against the likes of the CX7, RDX, and V6 Rav4.
    A comparo is long overdue.

Toss in a Vue Redline while you're at it. Maybe even a BMW X3 on the high end? Nah, too expensive.
    Today I went to the Hyundai dealer. Yesterday, on my way to REI, I went to see the Tribeca. I hope Subaru can be real this time. Back to back they are not even close in niceness. If the Tribeca Limited is not sold on the 32K range, game will be over again. Only us, the loyalists will buy them. Even I, if leasing would go with the Veracruz.
    Veracruz impressed me too when I sat in one, but drive 'em both and you'll prefer the Subaru by far. People complain about vague, overboosted steering and a lazy suspension.

The seats are TO DIE FOR. Very soft, glove-like leather, absolutely coddles the passengers. Plus it has good space.

As a passenger I may pick a Veracruz, but the Tribeca is the better driver for sure.
  • bman33bman33 Member Posts: 85
    Since my wife and I are looking at replacing our '06 Tribeca, I took her to sit in a Veracruz. I thought the interior looked/felt nice and controls were layed out well. We did not test drive one, because she is turned off by the Hyundai brand. The reviews of the Veracruz make many references to Lexus, but the value associated with that fancy L hood ornament is worth about $10K. Despite making strides in quality and design, I think Hyundai remains grouped with the cheaper import car brands like Kia and Suzuki.
    My wife said the same thing.

Until public perception catches up with the Hyundai brand's improvements she may be wiser than we think - ALG still rates the Hyundai Entourage we considered at just 1 star, i.e. worst possible residuals scores.

The scary part is they mean as a % of what people actually pay. They are an Edmunds partner, so they use TMV, not MSRP.
    That's why I wouldn't consider to buy one, just lease. But you are right on the handling point. Thing is, the Tribeca shouldn't carry a $38K price.