Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    How about that! Just ordered a 2008 Tribeca Ltd 7 seater (for the grand kids) to replace an aging '95 Jeep Cherokee Country (only 100,250 mi.). No Nav since I already have a nice GPS. We a looking forward to the day it arrives. Had to order it so we could get the trailer hitch kit ($1200 to install all the parts - "hidden hitch" & oil coolers - seems both bumpers have to be removed for installation. Labor is a major expense). Having a regular gas motor helped in the decision (We're retired so it's hard to get a wage increase :( )

It will share the garage with my '98 OBW Ltd that is our motor home toad (towed). The OB will be gathering fewer driven miles each year. Should last forever. :D

Toboggan
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Sounds nice!

I don't see too many Outbacks towed behind motorhomes... I assume it's gotta be on a trailer, right?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats. I'm a bit jealous! :P

Subaru made a big deal about the Regular fuel thing in their marketing, it's mentioned every time I read about the 08 updates.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    If it has a manual transmission, it should not be a problem to tow it on the ground. But, for wear and tear purposes, I think I would opt for the trailer regardless. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Naw, you can tow the 5 spd manual on the highway. So far have about 10,000 towed miles. No problems so far.
    Ah, gotcha. 10k miles is a pretty fair distance to be towed! Cool!
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    Folks,

After much debate on 3rd row comfort in tribeca, i just bought 08 tribeca with everything on it. It drives like a dream. I honestly think this will be a hit (like WRX).

nothing else comes even close in its price range. I test drove MDX, RX, XC90. We almost got XC 90 except that my wife will visit the shop 2 times a month. TRIBECA is a well made vehicle. bought mainly for its AWD, safety and not boxy

Got a Deep Bronze metallic color. MSRP 39k (with puddle, auto dimm, remote start). Got it for 35k - 2k subaru bucks = 33k at 2.9% financing.

thanks everyone !

NOW I AM A PROUD OWNER OF 2 SUBARUS, THE OTHER ONE IS 05 XT. MY WIFE DUMPED ODDY - CALLING IT A BIG BOX.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Wow. A $39K MSRP for $33K.
    you did well.
    enjoy your new ride.
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    I picked up my Tribeca,diamond grey metalli,5-passenger limited. I traded in a 2005 GT limited and got a fair trade. The tribeca,is not what i expected, after seeing outbacks,foresters and my own GT limited. The tribeca is gorgeous,the design and quality of the interior surprised me, and the quality of the vehicle as a whole, is excellent in my book. to kill an hour at the dealer, i drove a ford edge sel, and in my book the subaru wins. The only downside is the fuel mileage, fortunately it's regualar unleaded, instead of premium,and since retiring, I have no more 50 mile round trips every day. What should i expect in highway, local drriving, the new upa rate is 18mpg/22mpg.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    i'm thinking of buying an SUV next year. Can someone tell me more about the 2008 Subaru Tribeca? And, how does it compare to the 2008 Toyota Highlander and 2008 Honda Pilot?
    It's even less than $33k, considering the loan is subsidized. I bet he saves another couple grand over the life of the loan.

2.9%? My credit union is at about 7-8% right now!
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I purchased the 2008 tribeca 5 pass. LMT. I have 900 miles and all the dash lights came on and an ER-55 appears above the milege. Does anyone have an answer before I go to service?
    Some Legacy owners reported that error code as well... turned out to actually be "SS" rather than "55", but it was a failed ABS Speed Sensor. What the ramifications of that are, I don't know. Hopefully a simple sensor replacement and you'll be on your way.
    I am getting 22/23 in mixed driving (more highway though).
    Tribeca - very effective on snow, very comfy 5-seater but is only an occassional 7-seater compared to honda/toyota. pilot has road noise but is reliable too but looks very plain. new highlander looks good inside and i didn't drive

tribeca is a very stylish 5-seater. if you need only space in 3rd row - check out pilot, highlander.

for more info, read editorial reviews on carand driver & edmunds.com
    Pilot has the best 3rd row but the design has aged and it about to be replaced. You can get discounts, though. They also come in FWD if you don't really need an SUV. ;)

Saw a new Highlander on the road on Sunday, first one. Also saw one at the park in Ocean City, MD, Toyota must have been the sponsor to the "Sundaes in the Park" concerts. Looks better in person, I wasn't impressed by the photos. I have the 3.5l engine in my Sienna and that engine is golden.

Tribeca is the most stylish by a long shot, inside and out. That and the AWD system is the most sophisticated. Get a Chase Subaru credit card and you can pay for maintenance with the Subaru Bucks you earn. It's actually fun to drive, and the interior makes you feel like you're richer than you actually are. :D
    I had this error come up when I had about 50 miles on my '07 Outback. I think I just managed to tweak the car in a way the computer did not like, because there were no problems with the sensors afterward. I had gone to turn around in an icy parking lot and ended up slipping it somewhat while in a tight turn (unintentionally - basically plowing ahead for a moment while I had the front tires turned completely to the right). The ER-SS came up, disabled cruise, and disabled ABS. I was a little annoyed since I was driving in January on an intermittently icy highway at 65 mph without ABS because the car had a hiccup. But, 3-4 starts later and everything was back to normal.

I suppose I just had this supremely naive notion that I would get more than 50 miles out of my new car before my first CEL illumination. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Hey, at least you made it off of the lot. :D
    :shades:

That's right! And, it being the first "modern" manual I had driven, that is saying quite a bit! It was quite a different feel than the old work trucks I have driven all my life.
    Heh heh... I've been borrowing my uncle's beater Ford F100 for some yard projects. No power steering, no power brakes. Ooofff... harder to maneuver anywhere, but especially in the alley to park in my little carport... and I really have to remember to plan ahead for stopping! At least it's auto tranny, though.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Is there an OEM bluetooth solution?

Also, does anybody know why Canada get Xenons and we don't?

TIA
    No bluetooth at this time. It is showing up as a late option on the brand-new Subaru Imprezas (optional w/Navigation, I believe), so perhaps it'll be a mid-year addition or next model year for Tribeca.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    After much debate on 3rd row comfort in tribeca, i just bought 08 tribeca with everything on it.

Where did you buy it? IIRC, you were wary of Subaru of Wilmington but now that Patrick owns them...
    Tribeca is the most stylish by a long shot, inside and out.

Juice, I'm very impressed by the Hyundai Veracruz. I'm still having a hard time warming up to the Tribeca intergalactic styling of the IP.
    I was comparing the Pilot and Highlander.

I loved the Veracruz' seats. Fantastic. Better than the Subie's for sure, especially the soft leather.

Beyond that, it reminds me too much of a Buick for some reason. I could do without the wood, and I don't like the vent layout.

It's not bad at all, just not inspired.

Haha! I agree about the Buick-like interior feel. My brother has an XG350, and while it is a very nice car all around, it just feels a little... contrived. :confuse:
    Maybe it's that semi-circle at the top of the dash. It reminds me too much of the Buick Rendezvous.

No matter, the overall interior is a great effort. I really like the chocolate colored leather seats Hyundai offers.

I do wish the Veracruz were bigger, though. The Santa Fe is SO CLOSE to its size, it seems ridiculous. The VC should have been sized like the Outlook IMO.

Of course, some people say the same about the Tribeca and the Outback. The cargo floor of the 5 seater is within an inch of the Outback's in both length and width.
    I fully agree regarding the Hyundai SUVs. Capacities aside, the Outback and Tribeca are worlds apart in terms of seating position/height, roof height, etc. They do not feel like the same vehicle.

I want Subaru to give us a van, then they can monkey around with another SUV. :P
    subaru of milford...easily you can get 3k-4k depending on features. they algo gave me 10k on MPV which i was suprised. the next dealer i like is singer subaru

don't even touch patrick motors.
    Milford eh? I thought you lived north of the city - not Metro West.
    Hello. Anybody with the 2008 could you share how good/bad are the lights? I know that we don't get HID in the US, but are the ones that we get (halogen?) good?

I ask because consumer reports said the 2006's lights were pretty bad.

TIA
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    From today, they look pretty unbiased. They are two, especially the second opinion.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/08tribeca.htm
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/08tribeca.htm
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    Just back from a long trip,mixed driving,mostly highway, got 22mpg, which surprised me considering other posts showing 17.
    yes, i am easily getting 22-23 on mixed (mostly highway) driving
    it is great.....something is wrong with consumer reports these days....they have really gone hostile against subaru vehicles. they used to like them a lot in the nineties....
    I don't know if you can really call it "hostile" when Subaru's the only manufacturer to have every vehicle they make recommended by Consumer Reports. :shades: More nitpicky, maybe? Or maybe the competition's gotten better.
    Thanks for the reply. Looking fwd to doing a test drive.
    Kudos to finally getting this part right:

In the back, legroom is great

Of course Subaru took that knob off the 5 seat models, so that finally car reviewers could figure it out. That's what it took, seriously.

The Veracruz, in basic GLS form, gets more standard features and more seats in a larger (overall) interior, for about $2,000 less than the base Tribeca

Yeah, with only FWD, and AWD being an option worth at least, you guessed it, $2000. :mad:
  • bhaynesbhaynes Member Posts: 8
    wow great price
    i am seriously looking for a tribeca now or the enclave
    was this the 7seater with some options for that msrp
    how did you get sucha good deal and from where
    Start with the usual suspects:

www.fitzmall.com

If you're not close, ask local dealers to beat that price. Compare with other on-line no-haggle prices and maybe some e-quotes from the internet dept of local dealers.
    it is in NH, subaru of milford. where do u live ?
  • bhaynesbhaynes Member Posts: 8
    alberta canada
  • bionicbadgerbionicbadger Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Edmonton and picked up my 08 tribeca from joe spitz the cars101.com guy in Seattle. He sold me a new 08 below invoice last month. Importing to Canada was super easy. Saved me about $15500 off of canadian MSRP even after flying down to seattle and paying for gas on the 800+ mile drive way back
    Sweet, glad that worked out. Isn't your dash in MPH, though, vs. KPH?
    What was the sale price?
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    How does the Subaru Tribeca compare to the Saturn XR Vue?
    I have no idea about these two cars perform. Is Subaru more reliable. I know they assemble the Saturn in Mexico.
    I am thinking about purchasing a Subaru 2008 Tribeca but I was also looking at the new vue.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I haven't driven the new Vue- but it sure looks nice.
    The Vue is quite a bit smaller than the Tribeca.
    Tribeca reliability is excellent, I'd expect the Vue's reliability to be very good. I"d give the 'beca a slight edge here since it's in it's 3rd year, whereas the Vue is all new this year.
    Early reviews praise the Vue, but the achilles' heel is the hefty curb weight, surprising for a compact SUV. Bummer, because the engine shows promise, and the Outlook is even bigger and heavier. They should have made the Vue closer to mid-size, given the Outlook is full-sized.

It's the opposite of Subaru. Saturn offers small and large, with a wide spread between them.

Subaru offers compact, mid, and mid, all close in size.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Can you give me some good reasons why I should buy the Tribeca instead of the Hyundai Santa Fe. I toss between the two. The 08 Tribeca is pricy. My husband saw a B9 tribeca and was very impressed by its looks.
    I know Subaru is very reliable. I also thought about the Ford Edge as a possibility.
    Any info. is appreciated.
    Tribeca: High resale, great reliability, class-leading crash scores, award-winning interior design, the best AWD system, about 10% more horsepower and torque, higher ground clearance while keeping low center of gravity for excellent stability.

Don't be too scared by the price on the window... '08 Tribeca can be had for under invoice (check the Tribeca Prices Paid & Buying Experience thread), and comes well-equipped.

If you've got it narrowed down, drive the top two or three on your list & see what you think.