Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

kamaki369kamaki369 Member Posts: 6
I've just seen the pictures of the new 2008 Tribeca, and must say that I'm dissapointed. Although the old front was not the most beautiful, at least it had caracter and distiguished itself from all other competition. But the 2008 seems so common, I hate it. It looks more like a Crysler than a Subaru. The only thing I enjoyed was the rails on the roof.

About the interior, I'm impressed by the design (same as in the old model) but would like to see better material quality, as well as better front seats, with more suport on the side. And on a more personal note, what about a couple of small pockets (for change, garage remote etc), preferable covered, on both the driver and co-driver side, left and right of the gear-shift? There is enough room for 2 on each side.

As for the engine, I'm wondering when will the proclamed 3.0 L diesel engine will appear? And what about a 6-speed auto transmition?

And finally can the VDC be dissengaged and engaged while driving?

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This '08 is light-years ahead of the current model. Subaru will sell a ton of them—which is the reason for the change.

Bob
  • kamaki369kamaki369 Member Posts: 6
    Light years? In what way? And please dont tell me about the new transmission, cooling system or the new valve design.
    3.6 engine that is has a far better and more usable power band, plus it runs on regular gas. The styling will appeal to a much wider audience than did the old model. Easier access to 3rd-row seats.

Mark my words. This will be a big hit for Subaru.

Bob
    I like the new engine, easier access, but was expecting more
  • amy10amy10 Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone have a link...would like to check out the 2008 Tribeca pictures. Thanks!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    kamaki,

EXPECTING MORE? What planet do you live on? This is only 2 years into the cycle, we are lucky that we got a re-design so quickly. The improvements as bob said will boost sales on this imensely and it'll be a good seller for them.

-mike
    On earth, you?

I'm a Subie fan (already had 3 in the past and wanted to make them 4) so ofcourse I have higher expectations from Subaru.
    I too am a long-time subie owner and fan (2 XT6s, 1 SVX, 1 Legacy, 1 Impreza) but I'm also a realist and know they need to make money in order to stay in business. The XT6 and SVX are prime examples of wonderfully engineered cars that the public didn't receive well and thus were duds for SOA.

-mike
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Is winning on me. If Subaru forget the idea of pricing it like an Acura, things are going to be interesting. It will be tough for a lot of people paying the same for a Hyundai. Remember the resale value? The Highlander never caught the Subaru fan. So this time it'll be running easy. As a former Forester owner, and actual OB owner, now I can see the natural next step.
    What I asked isnt expensive; they are designing the 3.0L diesel engine, and as for the 6 speed tranny, they could have build it instead of the new 5-speed they put on the new Tribeca.

About the interior quality, that can be priced in as an extra. And as for the exterior - I prefer the the old design to the new
    Hmm lets see....

3.0L Diesel, don't count on it being sold here. Heck the Jeep dropped the CRD Liberty due to emissions testing issues. It *may* make it here eventually but it's expensive to get it tested etc, especially if they aren't going to sell a lot of them.

6-speed, yeah it would be nice but it costs a lot to do, especially since they just did the 5EAT a few years ago.

As for upgrading the interior, people are already complaining about the price, anything more would push it out of range completely for a Subaru.

-mike
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    such a dissapointment... new engine good but that generic body? i was thinking about swapping my 06... but looting at these pictures it's so not worth it, i might as well go ahead and buy Kia or Hyundai
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    I had a B9 Tribeca as a rental car and loved the way it drove. I wasn't that impressed with the old style front end. It looked too weird, and the new one almost looks too conservative. There should be some attractive center that Subaru seems unable to find.

The only other complaints I had were seemingly poor gas mileage. Is that any better with the new engine? On a several hundred mile stint in the rental I didn't even manage 20mpg. Also, I noticed the third row had absolutely NO leg room. Is the new one longer with more third row space?

Lastly, and this is the kicker, I hated the Starship Enterprise center console. Has this been changed? I could look past all of the other nit picks I had, but the space age center console single handily prevented me from considering one of these a year ago when I was looking for a three row family vehicle. I ended up with a Ford Freestyle which has a LOT more interior room and gets better gas mileage but at the same time is boring in the looks department.

- Chad
    They say that the 2008 will have a better mpg, rumors have it about 10%. As for the 3 row, u need to move the 2 row ahead to fit 2 kids in the back. As for the concole, to be honest I like it, although I think it should be improved.

As to the diesel engine, it is a must, at least in Europe. Since Subaru has the basic design with the 2.0 d they unveiled in Geneva last month, why shouldnt they add 2 more cylinders?
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Given the new design-I don't know if I ever would have stopped in for a test drive. Not that it's unattractive, but I guess I go for vehicles that look a little different. The rear end doesn't look better or worse- but they fixed the rear bumper so you can now step on it (Yeah!)

It also looks like there is a new roof rack possibility. The current rack doesn't have enough spread for my hang glider. Maybe this one has the potential of being better???

Of course- the 3.6L engine seems like a grand improvement.

If I manage to seize my engine. I wonder if I can get the 3.6 as a replacement? :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    'cause I'm buying the first one.

This is a home run, out of the ball park. Walk the bases and wave to the kids, Subaru.

They kept the character lines, the shoulder haunches, the fender flares, yet they added a butch, macho face to it. It's like the old one went to the gym and put on some new muscle.

The roof rack makes it look taller. The upright hood makes it look more SUV, less minivan. It's much bolder, basically.

Sure, the headlights resemble the Santa Fe's, but that's another handsome SUV. As for the grille, there is a little Chrysler influence, but not much. And Chryslers look good, they have problems in other areas, not styling. Heck, they were styling leaders for a long time. Just check out how much the new Audi A5 resembles the old Chrysler Sebring coupe.

This will be a winner for Subaru, not the least because it offers:

* a little more power
    * a lot more torque
    * 10-15% better gas mileage
    * more importantly, better range
    * likely better resale values (already 4 star rated by ALG)
    * better visibility
    * easier ingress/egress

Heck yeah, sign me up! :shades:
  • rik4rik4 Member Posts: 90
    i will miss the edsel grille. i think they would have been a high bidded car in the future on the barret jackson auctions. now with the aspen grille and no chrysler push button tranny they will not be as sought after in the antique auctions in the future. maybe if they add the pentastar and a hemi they will succeed. although it is much nicer than the impreza.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    If this Design would have come out in 06 I still would have leased it.

I chose Subaru for their quality & AWD system.

While this design is not as unique - the U in SUV has been addressed. I believe the 06/07 motor, use of premium fuel, rear visibility etc. tipped the scales in favor of other brands.

08 improvements may even triple sales before the next change.

With regards to looking like a Hyundai.......NOT!!!

The Hyundai has no sharp character lines. It looks too soft and unfinished - Like the last generation Taurus. This of course is my opinion.

Charlie
    Everyone here that is saying "it's just like a Hyundai or XYZ" is forgetting one thing!

IT HAS SUBARU UNDERPINNINGS: Engine, Suspension, AWD System

That's what makes a Subaru a Subaru and why it will out perform FWD based AWD systems with non Boxer engines!

-mike
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    The headlights kinda look like the Inf. FX35/45 ...
    It no longer stands out. :(
    If no longer standing out translates to increased sales, then it's good for Subaru. They are not in business to sell cars that stand out or are "weird" they are in business to sell as many cars as they can, and whatever means get them to that end is what they'll do to survive, period.

-mike
    I liked the grille, which I likened to the Veyron. Pic for fun:

It will definitely be remembered as cutting edge. The market just wasn't ready for Subaru to be the one to deliver that kind of bold statement, though. Bugatti will get the credit. :cry:

Oh well, I like the new one as well.

Only the headlight shape looks like the Santa Fe, I didn't mean to imply the whole SUV did. And who cares? The Santa Fe is a handsome SUV anyway, it's just a bit low budget next to the Tribeca.

Only question now is: what colors will be available? Atlantic Blue is a front runner, but I like that silver in the pictures. :shades:

-juice
    You really think it looks like this?

The grille alone, maybe, even then Subaru's is much smaller and has a different shape along the top. The headlights on the Aspen are enormous and have that round edge on the bottom, plus that hood has those stripes running the length of it.

The overall effect of the new Tribeca looks nothing at all like the new Tribeca.
    Here is a full-frontal view of the Tribeca to make it easy to compare:

While the grille is a bit similar, the overall effect is not at all Chrysler-ish IMO.

Aspen ain't bad looking, anyway. Looks better than the Durango ever did by far.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Juice,

Are you still going to the show on Monday?

If so Can we meet at the Subaru dispay?

Charlie
    Yes. Haven't ironed out the details yet, but I'm going with Bob.

I guess I'll wake up as early as I can, and drive to Bob's, who is about 45 minutes north from me. We drive another 4.5 hours or so to NY, so I figure we'll get there just after lunch.

e-mail me so we can swap phone numbers. Add @ifc.org to the end of my handle.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Last month, OB: 4955. Foresters: 5,306. Tribeca: 1,517. The relation is 3:1 and 3.5:1 in each case. The thing is like strange, 'cause Minnesota is Subaru country and I see 20 Outbacks before I see one Tribeca. It looks like Tribeca owners are embarrased, so they don't go out. Hopefully, this all is going to change with the redesign.
    ...from the NY show floor.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2580

Bob
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    As an Outback owner in Minnesota, I think it's just the stock of Outbacks built up since 1996, whereas the Tribeca hasn't been around long at all, and only recently started to sell moderately with the huge incentives on them.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    While there are only so many places you can put headlights and grills, the new design strikes me as too Ford and Saturn like when viewed from the front. Here are just a couple of images that I found to be a little too similar.

Tribeca

Vue

Escape

In fact, it was exactly the uncommon and polarizing nature of the front end which drew me to the Tribeca in the first place when I was shopping for my first SUV. I already owned a 15 year old Subaru and although I had heard about the Tribeca way back when it was still in the rumour mill stages, a Subaru SUV was not even a seed of an idea when I first went shopping. It was only when I had given up on the other manufacturers and showed up on the Subaru lot ready to settle for a Forrester or Outback, that a row of Tribeca frontends suddenly caught my eye. To me, Subaru's main selling points have always been AWD, reliability and uniquely appealing designs. Taking away the most visible of those traits isn't likely to win my dollars but then again, I'm probably not one of their "target buyers", since I also liked and bought an SVX. I had entertained the idea of upgrading to a newer Tribeca in time, because my current one was purchased almost out of desperation and thus lacked the through research and testing one would normally conduct before making such a purcahse. I basically asked for an overnight test drive and was ready to talk price and sign papers the next day. Did I mention that my other car is 15 years old? But given the current design changes and past history, it looks like I may have to wait another 15 years before I can upgrade again.

KuoH
    The SVX however was one of their worst follies, but one of their best cars. Odd styling killed it. It was so ahead of it's time yet those attributes were not taken in by the public. Shame really.

-mike
    To be honest I don't see a lot of similarities there.

The Ford Escape's new grill is similar, sure, but look at the lower bumper, and other views differ greatly.

I don't see the link to the Saturn Vue. Maybe just the angle of the front clip, but not any of the details.

The 06-07 Tribeca was polarizing, you either loved it or you hated it.

Even though I liked the original Tribeca, there just weren't enough of us. Look at the sales figures. I don't think they sold half as many as they wanted to.

We can't blame Subaru for going with a conservative front end. Thankfully the shoulders, flares, and concave panels still make it an interesting design overall, and far more than the box on wheels that you see with the Escape, Highlander, Pilot, etc.
  • amy10amy10 Member Posts: 26
    I purchased a 2007 Tribeca in March and couldn't have been happier. Well, now after seeing all the updates on the 2008, I'm thinking I should have waited :cry: ...oh well, I do still prefer the front design & grill on my 2007.
    I think the original will always be a cult favorite. They will remain fairly rare and special. No biggie. You can trade-up later.

I like both, but I want the 3.6l engine so I think I'm getting a 2008.
    Juice any chance of an up-graded tow rating with the 3.6L engine?

-mike
    Bob said no, it's still 3500 lbs.

I don't need more than that. 1500 lbs is enough for my needs.

I'll order a hitch if mine doesn't come with one. I hope it's pre-wired like my Forester was, install was a snap.
    Next time we are at Summit Point will have to take a pic of the Legacy race car on the trailer pseudo hooked up to your Becca! Just for effect.

-mike
    Yup, that would be cool.

How much does that trailer weigh loaded up? It's gotta be about 5k lbs, right?
    Figure the trailer is about 1500-1800 + the car which can weigh anywhere from 2700-3300 lbs depending on how much gear you stick in it.

-mike
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    The old frontend could be picked out from a mile away when placed next to either of the other two. With the new one, yes there are differences, but they are similar enough in shape and scale, that with just a passing glance one could mistake them for each other. The Escape should be easy to eliminate with any view that shows a bit of the sides, since it still retains the overall boxy shape. With the Vue, if one didn't catch the notch in the headlights and it had a dark paint job to help conceal the bumper openings, one could easily pass one off for the other in not so bright conditions. There is no such confusion with the current design, regardless of which SUV on the market you compare it to.

I suppose that was Subaru's intent, to make it look like just another SUV. To Subaru, less polarizing seems to mean more common looking, but without added incentives like more power & ammenities for less money, I don't see them gaining that much ground over what they will lose. If the 06 model had looked like this when I was shopping, they would've lost me over to the Nissan Murano for sure.

KuoH

ateixeira said:

To be honest I don't see a lot of similarities there.

The Ford Escape's new grill is similar, sure, but look at the lower bumper, and other views differ greatly.

I don't see the link to the Saturn Vue. Maybe just the angle of the front clip, but not any of the details.
  • deep4deep4 Member Posts: 4
    Tribeca with its original front end was innovative and gave something to talk about. Being an owner of a 17 year old Legacy I was immediately attracted to 06 Tribeca and actually got one. After seeing the new Tribeca I am absolutely glad that I have the previous year model, not a toned down bland version.
    Subaru's new design is very dissappointing. Instead of moving away from the crowd with a cult front end, Tribeca in this new look will just be another run of the mill SUV. No doubt people who want something with a different look will now again go back to Nissan Murano.
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    I think A Hybrid version would really start turning some heads away from the other SUV's (like the Escape) along with more emphasis on the full time proactive awd that many other suv's do not have.

Since I just got a 24 month lease on a Forester, maybe this will happen when I'm in the market again (I am 6' 3" and don't really fit in the Forester all that well).
  • kevinaldokevinaldo Member Posts: 2
    when will 2008 hit the dealer?
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    That's pretty much exactly how I feel. The Murano and the 'beca were the two coolest looking CUVs. (actually- I like the styling of the Murano better- but I liked the Tribeca more overall- for many reasons)

This definately put's the tribeca into the mainstream. Eventually - the '06/'07 design will begin to look like the 'old' model, regardless of whether the styling was more insteresting.

I probably would have never went for the test drive if the original 'beca looked like the '08. But- then again, perhaps many more people would have in my place. Good luck subaru. er... and can I have that new engine in my '07 please?
    I guess we'll never know if the 3.6l engine by itself would have boosted sales for the old design. They were soooo far off target, though. :(

I mentioned this in the other thread - if this 08 had been introduced from the get-go, noone would call it boring. The shoulder lines, concave panels, bold fender flares, all those things are relatively unique.

Sure, one SUV or another shares maybe one of those, but not all. By itself, on its own merits, it would have been well received.

Problem is, the 06 was so shocking, out on a limb, that whatever followed was going to be called bland.

It's less stunning, no doubt, and will surely be less polarizing, too. Sadly the old polarizing style never got the 3.6l engine and the styling just didn't draw in enough buyers.
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    I'm sure Ford had an audience for the Edsel, too (whose front-end I thought of immediately when I saw the 07 B9T). Unfortunately, Subaru cannot customize every aspect of their cars. While you apparantly loved the "Edsel-like" front-end, the vast majority of potential customers didn't. I'm impressed especially with the interior materials quality and the fulltime VDC seems reasonable to keep costs down, since I doubt very many people would switch it off anyway and Subaru probably wouldn't want people switching it off, pretending that they knew more about the risks and benefits than they really did. Good luck finding a car that you like at a price you can afford, however the 2007 B9T's can be had at a good cost and will probably be as close to the perfect car for you as any out there. I doubt you'll find another bizarre-looking model from Subaru anytime soon, they are too small to make the kind of designs that appeal to you but keep away the vast majority of potential customers. I'd be interested in hearing how you think Subaru should have redesigned the Tribeca, if at all, though; you might have some good ideas the designers hadn't thought of and they do read these boards (which is one advantage of being a small company, I guess).
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    I feel the same way about Chrysler styling: I think the Pacifica is a gorgeous interior and exterior design, but the materials quality is mediocre at best, something that Chrysler has had problems with particularly since Daimler bought them. If this redesign is being done by the same people redesigning the Forester, I might wait before replacing my 04 Forester. In every way, except perhaps a little more rear visibility, the 08 Tribeca improves on the earlier models. If they have maintained a lot of the good mechanicals and were diligent about enhancing reliability as I would expect, the Tribeca should finally be a success.
    Competition is brutal, though. That's the catch. While the 08 Tribeca improves a lot, especially in the engine dept, so have competitors.

Newcomers such as the CX9, Veracruz, Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave are all competing for the same buyers. On the budget side, you have upward pressure from the Santa Fe, XL7, RAV4, and Outlander, all which offer a 3rd row as well.

So there are more entries competing for the same slice of pie.

Still, I predict about a 50% increase in sales, potentially double the sales if they set the pricing properly.

I looked again, and $31k and change buys a 7 pass LTD with NAV right now. Great deal. Invoice is $34k. Automotive News said the price may drop by $1000, and that should put the invoice around $33k.

Even so, the actual street price would be up a couple of grand. It's certainly worth more with the new engine, but a $2000 increase will limit how much the sales will grow.