Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jayvh1jayvh1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I found an 05 cts on craigslist with 68,000 miles reasonably priced about $1,000 below blue book. I called the guy a little while ago but since its late i imagine i will hear from him tommarow. It seems you guys have or have had alot of problems with this car so now im having second thoughts. The car is a 2005 cts 2.8 v6 and has a 6 speed manual transmission. Its a nice looking car but since i havnt talked to the owner yet i have yet to ask him all of the questions you do when interested in a car. ill be sure to ask him about a few things i've read on here,(to many to list). On other review sites it seems that the 03 &04 have a few problems but when it comes to the 05, 06, & 07, it rates them as if they have worked those problems out. I dont know much about Cadillacs but i do all maintance and repairs myself in the drive way on all of my other cars, and always have. Will this be a car i can work on myself? What do you think, is the car worth it? I Know its alot of miles but i would like to see what some experienced CTS owners have to say. Thanks for you help.....Jay
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I had an '05 with the 3.6 engine. I now have an '09. I drove the '05 49,000 miles. I had to replace the water pump at 48,000 miles. Other than the tires, I did not have any other problem. I loved the car. With the 2.8 engine, you have the smaller engine. It will not have the power of the 3.6, which was very quick. The manual tranny should help that. My friend has one like mine and he has 110,000 miles on his. He had to have the engine completely overhauled at 50,000, but Cadillac covered it. He feels pretty solid about the car.
  • jayvh1jayvh1 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your advice. i drove the car yesterday (sat) and it is a very fun car to drive with the 6 speed manual. you're right, the manual does help with the cars "quickness" it would move through gears pretty fast when i would get on the gas pedal, very throttle responsive. I like the car but a few things worry me still....1 the miles, 69k, the car is flawless inside and out. I need something nice and reliable since i will be doing some regular comuting & driving the car alot. The owner assured me that he would get right into the car and take it anywhere. He said last summer he & his wife drove it to Maine and back, he lives in PA, its a long enough trip. He also does not seem to be in a hurry to sell it, he seems confident in the car, so much that when i told him about my concerns for the miles and the way that it sounds when you shift from 1st gear to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd he just casually said, "think about it, your welcome to come back and drive it again anytime". 2nd the only other thing i noticed was like i just said...when you shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd you hear like a linkage noise. its not gears grinding, no matter if you let the clutch out slow or fast, or with added gas pedal or no gas you still hear it. its not a horribly nasty noise but i do notice it. when i told him about it he said he had never herd/felt it before so now i dont know if im not use to the car or if i got more of a feel for the clutch and gears that maybe i could not let it happen. But through those gears, i remember yesterday that no matter how smooth i tryed to shift it or how smooth i tried to release the clutch i would still hear the noise and some times a little jerk as if i was just letting go of the clutch really fast, but i wasnt. i think i need to go back and drive the car again, this time i will take my brother and let him see what im talking about so that i can get a second opinion & we can also srutinize the car together....Any ideas on this shifting matter? Also there is an open recall on the car, i saw it on carfax and i told the owner, he said yes he knew & had recieved a letter from Cadillac in the mail, he just hasnt had the time to take it in to be replaced. its only "front brake line corosion", i guess 1 of the front brake lines corodes quickly? Overall what do you think?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    are good things.

They help people who are otherwise uninterested plow through a message. . .

or not.

Those who read messages respond.

Go figure.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • K9WillK9Will Member Posts: 26
    knine will here the manuel trans should have very few problems with it the 2.8 motor has been arround a long time it should be a good motor
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    You're right about paragraphs. Post by jayvh1 is essentially unreadable. Wonder if he had something interesting to say ....
  • mymymymymymy Member Posts: 7
    Tonight while listening to a CD, the CD player quite working without warning. (I thought I hit the off button by mistake, which turns out I didn't.) I tried to get it playing again by turning the system off and on, but the CD still wouldn't play. The radio works, but the CD system doesn't do anything. The CD is stuck inside. The warrant has expired.

Has this happened to anyone else? I wonder what could be the problem.
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    edited September 2010
    Hasn't happened to me. Only 24k miles on my car, though, and it's still under warranty.
  • smith329smith329 Member Posts: 1
    I'm so very upset reading all of these "engine problems" posted here. I purchased the CTS from a Cadillac dealer and noticed a "knocking" or pulling in the car maybe 4 months after purchase. Since that time, I've had it to a Cadillac dealer on several occasions to be told there's nothing wrong with the car. There wasn't any oil in my garage nor @ my parking space @ work. A few times that it was checked I was told it needed oil, but would be only 2000 miles or less into the previous oil change. I found myself buying several bottles of oil and storing in my trunk and whenever I heard the knocking, I'd just pull over, top the oil and keep moving. After maybe 5 evals at the dealer, I became seriously p'od about the problem. Finally 2 weeks ago, the car stopped and my assessment by another dealer is that "the motor has major internal damage and engine is internally failed". Now I'm looking for a "reasonably priced" used motor as I can get absolutely NO help from the local Cadillac dealers, including the one that I used in the past months. So whatever you do, don't take NO for an answer. There's something wrong with this car and I imagine the previous owner had the same problems.
  • rayzhrayzh Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    I just bought a 2005 CTS 3.6V from a BMW dealer with 66000 milage on it last week. I really like the handling of the car. I had the car checked at a private car shop. They told me there are two problems,

1. Front drive shaft mounting flange is rubber and has begun to crack
    2. Rear axle seals have signs of leakage but has evidence that the area has
    been cleaned.

I checked with a cadillac dealer and was informed that the CTS is not in the recall list for the rear axle seal problem. What's you guys' opinion on this? The car still runs greatly with no problem and I don't see any leaking problem. Should I keep the car or return it to the dealer?

GM also offered an extended warranty for additional 3 years and 36000 miles for $2500. Do you guys think I should buy it?

Any input and thought is appreciated! Thanks!
    Regarding your rear axle: When driving at low speed with the wheel turned sharply, such as pulling into a parking space, do you hear any type of grinding or rubbing noise coming from the rear end?

If you hear this noise, then your car has an issue with the clutch packs not functioning properly, and this is a known issue to Cadillac that should be a warranty item.

My '06 had that issue and the first thing they do is flush and replace the fluid in the rear end. It solved the problem for about 6 months and then the noise came back. The dealer (a different dealer this time) did the flush again and when testing the car themselves were not satisfied that is solved the problem, so they installed a whole new rear end and, while it hasn't been 6 months again yet, so far it has been fine.

Again, this is a known issue and dealers should be aware of it. It's a known issue on '06 models anyway...not sure about '05s.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Smith329,
    I apologize that you had a less than optimal experience with your dealership. Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, what is the case number? What is the year and current mileage of your vehicle? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • rroberts4rroberts4 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2006 Cadillac CTS 47,000 miles on it. Started "cutting out" a couple of weeks ago. Took to mechanic in our small town because of convenience and the warranty just ran out in June anyway. Computer codes P0300 - random misfire as well as the specific codes for each cylinder except 5. He has no clue what is going on and says next stop is dealer, which I can't afford!!! Bad gas? Used heet x 2. Dirty injectors? Injector cleaner x 2. Just got fuel filter but don't have it put in yet. Seeing that there is a problem with the timing chain as I am browsing the web?? Help please
  • rroberts4rroberts4 Member Posts: 2
  • K9WillK9Will Member Posts: 26
    k9will here my techs always tried the bad gas tactic it never rarely was the problem keep digging
    edited December 2010
    Since you haven't gotten a lot of responses, I will respond:
    There are a number of possible explanations for your problem. Aside from car dealers, there should be private shops available with reasonable rates and expert mechanics who are familiar with GM cars. Basically, you have to spend the money necessary to maintain a car, expensive or not, if you intend to keep and drive it.
  • bplatte82bplatte82 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same issue. I purchased a 2005 CTS with 45k miles in August 2010. I took it in to Cadillac and they told me nothing was wrong and to keep a closer look at the oil levels. The knocking sound continued and I just had a second opinion. They couldn't pinpoint the problem but said it was more then likely a bad piston. I'm now very pissed off and am gonna get rid of it. Just curious what luck you had in selling it?
  • rdinssatxrdinssatx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD that has had 1 problem that drives me crazy. There is a clunking sound that comes from the rear end of the car. I have had the car at the dealer multiple times and they hear the clunk but say that it is normal for an AWD. I have gone to other dealers to test drive the same AWD car and never hear it. It occurs at 2 distinct times. The first is when I am driving slowly and let off the gas to turn a corner. Letting off the gas and then giving it gas creates a clunking sound near the rear. The other time is when I am driving and approach a stop sign. As I stop and the car shifts down there is a hard clunk when I come to a stop. With a car this nioce (and expensive) it drives me crazy and continues to convey "cheap quality". Has anyone with the 08 Cadillac CTS AWD had this issue? I have 42,000 miles and want to find the issue while it is still under warranty but the dealer seems to think that this is normal.
  • rdinssatxrdinssatx Member Posts: 2
  • cts05hewittcts05hewitt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 CTS with 138,000 miles. I will have $1,500 to go toward repairs/maintenance.
    I am going to get the oil changed. Tires are ok. Have maybe a year left on them. With just this limited amount, can anyone please give me advice on best area to invest upkeep on my car?
    Brake light is out, so will need to use for that also. But what would rest of money best be served for on upkeep? Need helpful advice for maintenance challenged person.
  • ralph39ralph39 Member Posts: 2
    Message to #122. Why spend money when you don't know what to spend it on? Tail light can be fixed with a small socket wrench(metric #10) and a bulb. just take out the panel in the trunk, and unscrew the nuts(4). The whole assy will come out from the outside, and you change the bulb. Oil change OK, air filter change OK. Save the rest for when things fail, like brakes, exhaust, etc.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    assuming you have followed scheduled maintenance to this point...what about fluids, such as transmission, coolant, brake,..when were they replaced last?....also surpentine belt??..you stated year left on the tire, I would rather see tread depth...use the penny trick...insert into the tread with lincolns head down..if you see the bottom of his head..time for tires!
  • jfelljfell Member Posts: 1
    my son the Marines caddy will die when you step on the gas. when you shut it off it will start and keep doing the same thing. If i use the cruise controll it runs fine. I drove from boston to N.C on cruise try that going thru new york and washington. any help would be great. they dont pay him much and if we can fix it we will. Thanks
    Do what the owner's manual says.
  • darv904darv904 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 CTS Cadillac and I had an oil change about two weeks ago, but the oil change % on the monitor never went up or. IS that normal?
  • darv904darv904 Member Posts: 2
    my 2005 cts has been doing that for a few weeks now, when i accelerate it does that shuddering/jerking type motion, i also noticed usually when it does this the check engine light flashes? the monitor says my trans fluid is low, wonder if it could ne the problem?
    That should simply mean that the dealer, or other shop, where you had the oil changed did not go into the digital information center in the center stack of your dash and change the oil % number.

This has to be done manually in the onboard computer (it does not happen automatically just by virtue of changing the oil in the engine). Cadillac dealer service departments are of course trained to do this.

In your owner's manual it provided instructions on how to do this. You should be able to do it yourself with the owner's manual instructions and pushing a few buttons.
    darv904,
    Have you figured out how to reset the Oil Life Monitoring System? Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    darv904,
    Since it says that, I would definitely recommend checking and adding fluids. I would also recommend having the vehicle checked out by a dealer. Please keep me updated on your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • an84944an84944 Member Posts: 3
    Obviously this is a very old post but I would like to know if you found the problem in the door. I am experiencing the same rattle when closing my driver's door.
    an84944,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into the dealership to be fixed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    The third dealership I took it to with this issue, Moore Cadillac in Chantilly, VA, diagnosed the cause which -- if I remember correctly because it's been over a year now -- was from a rain water drain piece inside the door (at least that's what I was told). They shored it all up by installing some foam rubber material to stop/absorb the rattle/vibration. It has been fine since.
  • 05gmlemon05gmlemon Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 05 CTS exactly 4 years ago and have had numerous problems ever since. Where do I start!!!! Serious trunk water leak when it rained. Brake light continually going out. Uses a quart of oil about every 600 miles ( Dealer said this was an acceptable range with Cadillac. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!) First time I checked my oil after my initial change it had about a quart left in it. I now keep oil in my trunk and check often. Often when I turn in to a parking space moving slowly the brakes fail. The Dealership could not find the problem but said it might be a wheel sensor. I've had the EBCM replaced twice and this hasn't completely solved the problem (EXPENSIVE REPAIR). It is still doing the same thing but less often. The rear wheel bearings had to be replaced recently because the sound in the back seat was getting unbearable. Now we are having problems with the power windows not wanting to go back up after leaving them partially down in hot weather. I personally think that GM should OWN UP to these problems and work with the consumers that keeps them afloat. Just look at all the posts of people that have the same problems with these vehicles. I personally will not buy another CTS. I owned a 1991 Caddy for years and had very few problems and never used a drop of oil between oil changes. I thought when I bought this one I'd have the same results.

Thanks for reading my gripes.
    A last time cadillac owner
    05gmlemon,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • jknowltonjknowlton Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    I have had it to the repair shop 4 times, I have a whining noise, first they could not hear it, took it home still have it, Took it back then they said it was the Idaler pulley, changed that. Still whining, took it to a transmission wondereing wether to keep it or get rid of it. Not the transmission but I had a crack in my drive shaft. Replaced that. Still noise, (runs great though) Noticed a leak on garage floor, my rack and pinion need replaced, still a low whining noise, any thoughts. $2400. later!!!!!!
  • pfohl21pfohl21 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed this question/problem is about a year old. I purchased a 2008 CTS rear wheel drive in August of 2011 and I have the same annoying problem. There is a thump/clunk sound at usually 2 distinct times. It's when slowing down to a stop, once at 15mph and the loudest at 5mph or less right before coming to complete stop. I've had it at the dealership twice and they have yet to fix the problem. They replaced the deferential box on the second visit, but did nothing to alleviate problem. My cts now has 32,000 miles and the warranty runs out in April. Did you ever figure out the problem and had it fixed? Thanks for your insight/help.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I see that you've already been in to the dealership more than once for this. Have you already worked with Customer Assistance? If we can be of service, please send us an email with more information so we can get a Service Request set up for you (include your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I know this may seem too obvious...beleive the battery is mounted in the trunk.....could it possibly be loose??
  • doc00doc00 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I need to know a part number and where to purchase a manual adjustment handle for a 2007 CTS. It adjusts the passenger seat back . There is a number stamped into the plastic (88897242RH) but I'm not sure if that's the part number.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You can go to your nearest Cadillac dealer. They should be able to tell you. It's probably going to be expensive. Once you find out the part number, then try an auto recycler. They may have one from a wrecked CTS. It will probably be cheaper. Good luck.
  • cadi003cadi003 Member Posts: 1
    Did yoi happen to find the problem? I have an 03' Cadilac it will not start only clikcs when starting and lights flicker on and off and ignition switch is off. The relay switxh for the high beams can be heard turining on and off. Not even with the battery charger will it start and atarted just after it was put in the gararge. Someone help me please. Key wont come out sometimes either....till charger is put on it..
  • breindelbreindel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 CTS with 52,000 miles. I'm the original owner of the car. Although there are many things I enjoy about this car, it needs too many repairs. None of the repairs are due to owner negligence. Initially, there were 3 - 4 recalls. Every few months the car is in the shop. This morning, the check engine light went on. About 6 weeks ago, the engine overheated due to failure of the water pump. There have also been failures of motors/pumps within the car, such as for the power seats. This is one car that I really wanted to hold onto for as long as possible, but I am very concerned about the life span of this car. Anyone else have constant problems with other 2009 CTSes?
  • breindelbreindel Member Posts: 2
    I the author of the Nov. 4 post about too many repairs. My service rep. called this morning to say I have a leak with my "O" ring and need to have he purge valve replaced. This valve deals with emissions and pressure for the gas. Cost to take care of these items is $200. Just out of warranty, so this will be out of pocket. Cost isn't that bad, however, I got lucky this time. There are just too many repairs and they're done too often. My husband has an Infiniti G35 that has maybe 85,000 miles on it. He has never had one mechanical problem with this car. He drives about 20 - 22,000 miles a year. I drive my Caddy 15,000. I see my service rep. more than some family members. What the heck? I bought my car when GM was tying to survive. My Dad always had Caddies when I was growing up. I've always loved these cars and have been hooked ever since the re-design of the CTS. My husband is now screaming to get rid of the car. Do I just have a problem car, or, is this symptomatic of Cadillacs these days?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I also own a 2009 CTS. I have had, maybe, two recalls. At 20,000, the ignition stuck and you could not turn the engine off. Luckily, it was a business day and I was able to take it to a dealer. As Cadillac does during warranty, they gave me a loaner Cadillac. Cadillac has been good to me during the warranty period. The car now has 35,000 miles and I am out of warranty in January. This is my second CTS. I will buy another one, but not because I am going to have great service out of this CTS.

I had a 2005 and I had a water pump go at 48,000. I traded the car after four years. I like the way a Cadillac looks and drives. I will trade every four to five years. I am waiting until the next redesign. I would never buy a Cadillac, if I wanted a car that I would drive well in excess of 50,000 miles. I do not consider them to be that reliable. On the 2005, I sold the car to friends. The engine started knocking at 67,000 and they got rid of it. With the warranty out in January, I will be wondering what I will wind up repairing at my own expense. I do have the engine, drive-line through five years.

If you have already had that many repairs, I would move on to something else. Cadillac is not your answer to a long-term automobile. I am sure I will hear, via this forum, from people who disagree and vow how great their cadillac has been.
    breindel,
    We're sorry to hear that you've encountered these troubles with your CTS. If we can check into this further with you, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.
  • milanprchalmilanprchal Member Posts: 1
    i have had the same problem - loose screws on drive shaft tight it up and clunk is gone - 100%
    Milan
  • supergluedsuperglued Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Hey I have a crazy problem. I have a 2003 CTS that is acting like a spaz. A few days ago the seat started warming itself but there isnt even a button to turn it off and on. It looks like there shouldn't even be a seat warmer in this model. But the seat is getting pretty damn hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • miko99miko99 Member Posts: 5
    I owned a new 2008 CTS DI and only had a power window go out and a plug coil fail in 36,000 miles.
    I have read this forum since I got my '08 and to go by the posts you would wonder why anybody would buy the CTS. I traded my '08 for a new 2012 CTSV Coupe and am still very happy.
    We're glad to hear that you're very happy with your CTSV Coupe, miko99! Many more happy miles in the new year!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service