Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• motherof3girlsmotherof3girls Member Posts: 4
    I noticed there was no cabin air filter after the dealership sold me a $50 cabin air filter and which btw is impossible to install. No I have never touched the power steering fluid. It just started leaking. Since this post.... You know the little things on the hood that spray out windshield wiper fluid? Yea....that's now leaking down the front of my hood. I also seen that someone said that the chrome on the vents is blinding them when the sun hits it. It blinded me a couple of times and almost had a wreck so I put black tape on the top of them...looks real pretty! We pay yearly payments and we've spent more than our yearly fixing this thing. I absolutely LOVE the exterior and the interior but as far as the power trainer anything else under the hood....that's a no go.
  • 2008acadia2008acadia Member Posts: 15
    I bought my 2008 Acadia new (first new car I've ever owned) What a mistake. It has had the power steering pump replaced and the rack & pinion steering gears were replaced. All of these repairs were not covered by the warranty and it has been expensive to keep it running. And to add insult to injury from day one, water was coming in near the drivers feet when it rained and the moisture would kill the engine somehow, and it was in for repairs many many times until they got that fixed. Latest update, I went in to get new tires and the technician said there is a bad noise coming from the drive train area, so that must be the source of the noise I've been hearing (LOUD). I thought a bearing was going out, yet it seems to be the rear differential. Hopefully the warranty will cover it. I have 4 1/2 years and 75,000 miles on it, so it is under the 5 year/100,000 mile limit. Time will tell.
    So you are hearing this horrible roaring noise while you drive ? I thought it was just my tires so the louder I turned the radio up....still no help I can still hear it. I'm thinking it's a hub assembly possible a bearing but, I'm no mechanic. I'm starting to be with all of these Acadia issues. :) please let me know if you find anything out. This Acadia is draining our bank accounts!
    I bought my 2008 Acadia new (first new car I've ever owned) What a mistake. It has had the front stabilizer bars replaced, the power steering pump replaced and the rack & pinion steering gears were replaced. All of these repairs were not covered by the warranty and it has been expensive to keep it running. And to add insult to injury from day one, water was coming in near the drivers feet when it rained and the moisture would kill the engine somehow, and it was in for repairs many many times until they got that fixed. Latest update, I went in to get new tires and the technician said there is a bad noise coming from the drive train area, so that must be the source of the noise I've been hearing (LOUD). I thought a bearing was going out, yet it seems to be the rear differential. Hopefully the warranty will cover it. I have 4 1/2 years and 75,000 miles on it, so it is under the 5 year/100,000 mile limit. Time will tell.
    Yes, I will let you know what I find out. The noise is VERY LOUD. Stay tuned and good luck.
    Good luck to you too!! Thank you!!
    my 2008 Acadia has the same problem. It makes driving on sunny days unbearable.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good afternoon 2008acadia,

We hope that all goes well on the rear differential work! Let us know if you would like for us to look into anything further (we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • acadiafanacadiafan Member Posts: 13
    Yes my acadia is still under manufacturer warranty. It is funny that a different poster says he/she checked with two GMC dealers and they don't have a TSB for this problem and my local dealer did. Maybe they just don't want to hear me whine lol. Hopefully the parts will be in soon because I seriously hate being blinded by the sun shining off that chrome.
    my black vents are ordered and hopefully will be in soon.
    I don't have the TSB number but I can find out when my replacement vents come in and post it then
  • lovegmc1lovegmc1 Member Posts: 37
    First of all, there's a wonderful thing called SUNGLASSES! They really help with the glare. And as for the power steering fluid with the car you got, the 2007-2011 Acadia had a different power steering fluid. The new Dexron fluid is better. I'd suggest asking the dealer for that.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the sunglass tip. I would not have thought of that as a GMC owner. I would have figured that out if I owned a Toyota or Honda.
    Seriously...sunglasses? Do you even own an acadia with the chrome vents? I believe the forum is for owners to share issues and solutions about their vehicle not smart a$# replies.
    :)
    Sunglasses do not help so kiss that one goodbye. As for the power steering fluid issue, the pump was replaced and the rack and pinion steering was replaced at my cost and it's already been done....my dealer should have suggested that fluid to me not the other way around.
    Hi Sarah,
    If the repairs are not under warranty the Acadia will be replaced by a NON GMC vehicle. Enough is enough
    Thank you for saying what all of us were thinking. Anyone who has ever been blinded by the glare knows that person has no idea what they are talking about. Where do these people come from?
    You're welcome
    Wow aren't you guys sweet! I do have an acadia(want me to take a picture of it?) and the chrome doesn't bother me. It can be a slight distraction at times, but no more. I don't know if you are exaggerating, but it would be appreciated if you could be more professional and mature about your responses. And b.t.w, there really aren't that many solutions on here, mainly people complaining. But thank you for calling me smart, I appreciate it :). If you have been blinded by the vents then that sucks for you, but I have driven in direct sunlight on the sunniest of says and not had more than a small glare! Maybe some people's eyes are just more sensitive? I don't know. But anywho
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    TECHNICAL
    Bulletin No.: 08-01-38-007C
    Date: June 14, 2011
    Subject: Sun Reflection Off Chrome Trim Rings (Bezel) on Instrument Panel HVAC Air Outlets (Replace with Black Painted Trim Rings (Bezel))
    Models:
    2007-2012 GMC Acadia

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to include the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-01-38-007B (Section 01 - HVAC).
    Condition
    Some customers may comment that the sun reflects off the chrome trim ring on the Instrument Panel (IP) Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) air outlet.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by the chrome plating on the trim ring.
    Correction
    Technicians are to replace all five air outlet trim rings with a new black painted part using the following procedure:
    1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Sir Disabling and Enabling.

2. Remove the front floor console accessory trim plate. Refer to the Front Floor Console Accessory Trim Plate Replacement (Acadia) procedure in SI.

3. Remove the IP accessory Trim Plate. Refer to the Instrument Panel Accessory Trim Plate Replacement (Acadia) procedure in SI.
    4. Remove the two air flow close-off levers from the air outlet assembly.
    5. Remove the air ducts from the front air louvers.
    6. Using a small screwdriver or flat-bladed tool, release the chrome trim ring retainers and remove the chrome trim rings.
    7. Install three new black painted trim rings onto the front air louvers.
    8. Install the air ducts onto the front air louvers.
    9. Install the two air flow close-off levers onto the air outlet assembly.
    10. Install the IP accessory trim plate.
    11. Install the front floor console accessory trim plate.
    12. Use a small screwdriver or flat-bladed tool, starting at the bottom, to release the chrome trim ring retainers on the left and right air outlet assemblies and remove the trim rings.
    Note
    Part of the retainers may break off during removal. It is not necessary to remove the air outlet assemblies from the IP trim pad.
    13. Install new black painted trim rings on the left and right air outlet assemblies.
    14. Enable the SIR system.
    15. Verify proper operation of the air outlet louvers and air flow close-off levers.
    Parts Information
    Part no.
    19206587 Bezel kit, Instrument panel center & outer air outlet

Well well well...there actually is a tsb on this and it's over a year old.
  • trannyprobstrannyprobs Member Posts: 3
    Hate to break it to you, but your comments about the sunglasses was uncalled for and you deserve the responses you get. I do not have the chrome issue but have been reading the thread via my email and was surprised to see your nasty comment. Yes, people are in here complaining because they have had lots of frustrating problems with their cars and have not had success in resolving the issues. I came on here to aee if anyone else shared my concerns. Good for you for having a great experience! But don't attack those of us who have not. Perhaps you should get off the blog. :lemon:
    edited September 2012
    On the contrary, I did not start with the nastiness, these other people did, but I am not going to start playing word games here. Also the only reason I mentioned Sun glasses (god forbid!) was because I had sunglasses on one day and a little shininess was coming from the vents. It wasn't bad, but I was wondering if people just didn't think of it. Also, you people are attacking me not the other way around, I say one comment and BOOM there's five posts against me like that! I honestly feel you people are extremely immature. Also I am on this forum, as well as others, in case my Acadia develops a problem in which I need an answer to, but I think I'll stick with my other forum, the people aren't as obnoxious as you all are, and agree with me that people complaining about the chrome is ridiculous! I don't know if someone has gotten almost in an accident or not, but I have also talked to many people with acadias in person, and not one has complained about the chrome vents.
    But anywho
    Thank you.
  • susancpasusancpa Member Posts: 7
    In regard to the Dexron fluid vs. non-Dexron Fluid, it hardly matters when the power steering fluid is leaking out of the bearings on both end of your power steering rack. I have owned many GM vehicles, and I usually drive them to well over 100,000 miles without ever having to replace a power steering rack. The one on my Adadia only lasted 3 years, when it was just out of the mileage warranty (Cost $1,200). The bearings in the steering column had already been replaced at 30,000 miles when it was under warranty. This car obviously had design flaws and/or cheap parts. Traded it in immediately for a Ford Edge. Rides nicer, no repair issues.
    See? You were nice about this. Thank you :) but I heard that due to the lower viscosity rate of Dexron fluid, it causes less problems. Of course, there still are going to be SOME problems, but not nearly as many. Hope this helps
  • 2012lemon2012lemon Member Posts: 5
    Not to be surprised, but yet again a problem I have been complaining about has finally been diagnosed. My Acadia has now been in service for 2 weeks for transmission issue. This is rediculous! I have never had a car with so many problems. My suburban I drove for 8yrs was never in service for anything other than standard maintanance. I have not had my Acadia for even a year yet and Throttle body unit (300miles into it), Timing Chain and Timing Chain accuators needed to be replaced (2months/2800miles)in which they had vehicle for 2wks, Issues with the back up camera (in service 2x), Rubber Molding on roof (replaced 2x) A/C seems to be in question, but still not diagnosed as a specific problem. It is frustrating to pay so much money for a peice of junk! At this point GM needs to buy this vehicle back from me. Clearly I got the Lemon and is not fair to be stuck with it. I have been driving a rental car for 2weeeks and has been a major inconvenience. I would discourage anyone from buying one of these vehicles!!!!!!
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Clearly I got the Lemon and is not fair to be stuck with it.

And you bought it from a bankrupt/bankrupting/verge of bankruptcy company why??? LOL! If you got a lemon, I say it serves you right. Did you really think GM and Chrysler were going bankrupt for no reason? You had just gotten lucky in the past!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The dealer calls all of the repairs normal.

Hhahahah, funny, the Dodge dealers told me the same thing in the late 90's and early 2000's when I had issues and problems. That it was normal for breakdowns to occur, that parts just breakdown!

Like you, with other brands (Like toyota and HOnda) I was used to them going years and years flawlessly without any need for any repairs.

When I did have an issue with one Honda, they certainly didn't act like, or use the excuse "problems are normal." Totally different culture and products.

It's not even close!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    TECHNICAL Bullentin
    Subject: Sun Reflection Off Chrome Trim Rings (Bezel) on Instrument Panel HVAC Air Outlets (Replace with Black Painted Trim Rings (Bezel))

Posted by obyone:

I can confirm that is a good TSB number. I called on my 2011 Denali today, the parts are on order and should be installed this Friday or the coming Monday.

Thanks obyone for the post!!!!!!!!! :)
    I contacted my GMC dealer with the TSB. They confirmed it as a good number, have the parts on order, and they should be installed this Friday or Monday.

Thanks so much for taking the time to report this.

This is what these forums are all about. :shades:
    TECHNICAL

I did confirm with my GMC dealer that this is a good TSB. The Sunlight off the Chrome did bother me as I do a lot of North/south and EastWest driving at the times of the Day when sun is a problem. the GMC dealer ordered my parts and they should be installed Friday. :shades:
    My black bezels were installed today and they look great. It is raining today so I can't comment on glare.
    My black bezels were installed today. They look great. It is raining so I can't comment on glare, but I know they will be great!
  • amyelizabeth71amyelizabeth71 Member Posts: 2
    I just read your post regarding the power steering failing on your 2008 GMC Acadia and I am currently having the same problem. In the past 2 weeks my power steering has failed 5 times in the middle of busy intersections and the last one almost ended in a head-on collision with my 2 children in the car. I have had it towed to the local dealership each time and as of today they still cannot locate the problem because there are no codes showing up. However, they have driven the car and it has happened to them as well but still no codes to tell them what is going on. Did you ever get your's fixed...and if so...what was causing the problem???

Thank you!!!
  • amyelizabeth71amyelizabeth71 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 GMC Acadia and in the last 2 weeks my power steering has failed 5 times and this last time it almost ended in a head-on collision with my 2 children in the car. I have had it towed each time to the local dealership but their computer never shows any error codes. However, this last time I had it towed to the dealership the power steering failed on them while they were test driving it but still no error codes. Has anyone actually got this issue fixed and if so what was it and how did they fix it??? I am so frustrated and I can't believe that GMC has not had a recall to fix this issue seeing that this is a major problem that could end in tragedy!!!
    Good morning amyelizabeth71,

We're glad that everybody's okay after the intersection incident you described! If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

• susancpasusancpa Member Posts: 7
    I do not know if your car is having the exact same problem as mine was, but at 2 different times during my 3 years of Acadia ownership it required power steering work. First time, the problem started with a rattling sound coming out of the power steering column. Three trips to the dealership later, they replaced the bearings. This was apparently something that was commonly coming up on the GMC advisories. The second time it started with a squealing sound, and the fluid level was low. The dealership kept adding fluid when I complained about it, but eventually when it was towed there to replace the water pump (at 3 years, 3 months of ownership) I told them there must be something more wrong for it to continually need power steering fluid. That is when they gave me the nice surprise - need new $1,200 power steering rack not covered under warranty. Bottom line, the whole power steering system is a piece of junk. My 1980 Olds Cutlass, 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo, 1990 Olds Cutlass, and 2000 GMC Yukon never needed these componets replaced and I drove them all well over 100K miles. Tell them to give you a free loaner car and that you are not taking the car back until they find the problem. By the way, I love my new Ford Edge. It's not having any of these issues.
  • bigbiz187bigbiz187 Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I'm about to purchase a 2009 GMC Acadia and there was one thing that concerns me about the car. The Acadia belongs to my mother in law and she wants to buy a new 2013 Acadia, since her 2009 has been lightly used I quickly offered to buy it from her. I've driven it several times and I noticed immediately that the power steering pump makes a whining sound, kind of like an old 60's/70's Chevy that's low on fluid. I read a few posts and noticed that this is a common problem. I was wondering if anyone had fixed this issue themselves rather than taking it in to a mechanic? I'm a gear head and like to avoid mechanic fee's wherever and whenever possible, so if anyone out there has had this issue and fixed it themselves please let me know what you did. The new Acadia will be out in the next few months so this problem will be mine very soon. Thanks in advance,

Brian
  • scollins537scollins537 Member Posts: 2
    Dont buy them they are Junk, I have owned my 2009 for a little over a year now, no joke it has been in the shop atleast 12 times, first the seatbelt harness system/ wirring went out, next the stabilitrak crap had to be replaced, second at 62,000 miles the engine had misfires on 3 cylinder, at 72,000 miles water pump had to be replaced, now at 74,000 mile something is now wrong with the air. GMC makes crappy cars! GO with a FORD!
  • scollins537scollins537 Member Posts: 2
    PS I had the whinning sound also, took the dealership three times to figure it out!
  • renie39renie39 Member Posts: 6
    I have an 07 Acadia, purhased new, currently have 88K miles on it. I had the same sound about 2 yrs ago, thought it was the power steering, also; but (according to the dealer), it was actually low on one of the other fluids, I think it was the transmission fluid. They added fluid, and no more whining sounds ever again, tho why it was low in the first place, I don't know. so check all the fluids! ( I was told that they were probably not 'topped off' the last time I had the oil changed. ) Just for the record, I have not had the problems that others have had, except for the water pump at around 75 K miles, and a leaking sunroof (still not fixed). All cars/makes have problems - don't know what the mileage is on the 09, but if your MIL hasn't had problems with it for 2 years, and the price is right, that would seem to indicate it is worth taking a chance on. at least you know the history, and these problems are not universal (with each and every Acadia) . I wonder if it depends on where the Acadia is assembled, or when the part was built?? at any rate, good luck!
    Thank you for the reply, a lot of people on this blog use it as sort of a punching bag to take out their frustrations about their car troubles, it's nice to have a calm level headed opinion. I make a habit of checking all fluid levels every oil change, so I will definitely check the trans fluid level. The noise tends to be worse on a hot day so it would make sense that it's the trans fluid. It has 29k miles, and she hasn't had any of the other issues I read about on the blog. She offered it to me at low blue book, which is a great deal in my opinion. Before my father in law passed away he always took the car to the dealer for service, so it's been well maintained and everything is on record with GMC, so I feel like it's a sound investment. :)
    I would go for it! I love my 12(23,000miles), and since the price is right, and you know it's not a Lemon, it seems like a good investment.
    Good afternoon scollins537,

We're sorry to hear that you've had these difficulties with your Acadia. Has all of this work been performed with your dealership? If you would like for us to check into this further, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details, including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you for your opinion but frankly these issues you're pointing out are what I consider "normal" for any American made car. The most dependable cars I've owned in my life have all come from Japan, unfortunately every time I buy American I have to deal with little problems like that here and there throughout the cars life cycle. I know Ford has re-invented themselves and put out a nice product, but for the price I can't pass up this deal, it's used and it obviously has a pre existing issue, but I'm pretty handy with cars and I know this cars history and maintenance record, so I'm going for it. I just would like to know how to fix the problem so I can do it myself, I hate paying mechanics. For example, a water pump issue for me is about 2 hours and 3 beers on a Sunday, no problem, just another Chevy.... ;)
  • kathleen26kathleen26 Member Posts: 7
    I have posted on this forum in past re: ongoing issues with my 2010 Acadia. Figured why stop. Dropped car off this morning for a "routine" service at GMC dealer. Of course, should know by now, nothing is routine. Rec'd call, brake fluid needs to be replaced due to condensation. OK, I can live with that. But another leak found around o-ring/transmission. And power steering pump is bad. Both have been repaired previously. O-Ring leak covered by power train warranty. Power steering pump is not covered, HOWEVER, the dealer out of "good will" is going to cover the cost due to the fact I have not missed a service on my car. I am thankful for this, but the on-going problems is just not right. There should not be so many on-going problems with these cars.
    What is the mileage on your 2010? GMC admits that the power steering pump they used was too small for the size of the vehicle, for I'm not surprised to hear it failed multiple times.
  • kathleen26kathleen26 Member Posts: 7
    A little over 38k miles. Probably why dealership is willing to cover the cost of repair.
    Another person posted this previously:

Called the dealer, they ordered them and got them installed yesterday. Took 30 minutes and they look great!!! They make a huge difference. I actually think they look classier than the chrome.

If you have this problem, don't hesitate. Get them put on. You won't be sorry. :) :shades: