Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rondo vs Outlander/Rav4/Santa Fe/Mazda5

12346»

Comments

• mrs_tmrs_t Member Posts: 7
    Test drove both the Rondo and the Mazda5. We wanted at least 6 seats so that pretty much narrowed our options in the market. My hubby sat in the back of both and I turned on the air vents. He was sweating by the end of our ten minute test drive in the Kia and was far more comfortable in the 2008 Mazda5. We also liked the sliding doors and second row captain's chairs better than the bench seat in the Kia. Our double stroller fit better in the back of the Mazda5 than the Rondo too. We were almost enticed to buy the Rondo anyway because Kia offers a better warranty and the price starts a little lower. But when all was said and done the "deal" they were going to give us with the Rondo was only $1100 less than if we got the Mazda5 sport so we walked out of the Kia dealership and went directly to the Mazda lot. Two hours later we were finished signing papers and are now the owners of a Mazda5 sport automatic in Brilliant Black with the popular equipment package. We also chose the extended warranty- 7 years/75,000 miles. It should be here by Wednesday!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.

The recent powertrain upgrades were significant - EPA mileage is up and it should be as quick if not quicker.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Thanks for answering one of the questions I had...how hot it would get in the 3rd row of the Rondo and Mazda5. It sounds like the 5 is much cooler back there. I'm guessing because the cool air can pass between the 2nd row captain chairs better than between the 2nd row bench of the Rondo.
  • mrs_tmrs_t Member Posts: 7
    Glad to answer your question! I was thinking the same thing which is why dh decided to sit in the back to test it out. He also wanted to compare leg room and comfort. It wasn't even all that hot out... just not as much air circulating all the way in the back. I think it would be even worse if there were people sitting in the middle seats.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Aside from the 5 speed auto, what are the other powertrain upgrades? I notice the manual trans models have improved ratings too. What is responsible?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Owning an 06 and an 08 I don't see a critical difference (both Manual) but the 08 seems more efficient overall (feels a little bit smoother as well). I'm assuming the improvements are mostly 3 years of engine fine-tuning and PCM enhancements.
    Well, it was the automatics that got the major upgrade.
    Agree, but I was focusing on the 2nd part of the question though:

I notice the manual trans models have improved ratings too. What is responsible?
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Coolmazda5,
    Are the gear ratios the same on both your 5s? One thing i find is that the RPMs are quite high when running at 100kph relative to other 4 cylinder cars i have driven. Leaves me wishing for a 6th gear.
    Yes indeed, they seem high but I don't drive at that speed for long distances. As a matter of fact I like the torque at that RPM range, no need to downshift when going uphill!

Now, I remember seeing a post of a person in Denmark with a 6-speed 2.0L Gas (not diesel) Mazda5 and the RPMs were very similar to the 5-speed:

6th speed (Manual, Europe, 2.0L): 120km/hr ~3400RPM
    5th speed (Manual, NA, 2.3L): 75MPH, ~120km/hr ~3500RPM
  • uzvuzv Member Posts: 8
    I'm 6 ft tall and currently own Dodge Caravan (short ver) with 7 seats and looking to replace with smaller but 6-7 seat.
    Visited Mazda dealer and played just with Mazda5 seats for 15 min:
    Adjusted seats to the BEST possible sitting for myself (6ft tall) in ALL rows (1,2,3)
    The result:
    1 row - good
    2 row- so-so : problem with feet (does not fit well under 1 row seat)
    3 row - bad : feet just does not feet under 2nd row seat
    There is solution but for only one foot - to stuck it between
    2nd row seats (other foot has to be cut of to be comfortable)
    So Mazda5 3d row - for kids ONLY.
    Visited KIA dealer and played just with Rondo seats for the same 15 min:
    Adjusted seats to the BEST possible sitting for myself (6ft tall) in ALL rows (1,2,3)
    The result:
    1 row - good
    2 row- good
    3 row - Ok : head is very close to ceiling
    So Rondo 3d row - Ok for 6ft adults
    IMPORTANT: the main thing is to readjust ALL rows to achieve good result in each row
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Would love to see Mazda offer the 5 with the Ford Duratorq 2.2L diesel. This engine delivers 175 hp/295 lb ft torque and delivers 40 mpg in Euro trim. Couple that with the 6 speed autobox and there wouldn't be a better combination of efficient space utilization, economy and fun to drive out there. I'd gladly pay $1500 over the 2.3L currently offered. Otherwise, this is a fantastic vehicle!
    Found this rather amusing, the Rondo is called the "Carens" in Brazil, where it also costs R$79,900, or about $51 grand at today's exchange rates.

Crazy, huh? Here it's a price-leader, there it's kind of upscale.

A Kia Sportage costs only slightly less, a Hyundai Tucson is about the same price.

Rondo owners should count their blessings!

The Santa Fe is sold as a loaded leather-lined AWD model only but costs a whopping R$149,000, over $94 grand!

The RAV4 costs even more than that! Yikes!
This discussion has been closed.