Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008/09 Subaru Impreza STI

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Even the URL says "ANIMAL" at the end. :D

I think they may even be intentionally creating a controversy, moving away from the safety of the mainstream that many said was the problem with the 2008.

Interesting.
  • Options
    Wow, from high 5s/low 6s all the way down to 5.4 to 60mph.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    They are not calling it a recall...a service program, but I got a letter today that I need to bring my STI in for a re-programming of the ECM. Apparently the fuel mixture at 6700 rpm and above can be toxic for the engine and cause permanent damage. Repeated or continuous driving above the redline can cause issues with the seating of the piston rings due to the fuel mixture being to lean. They have to reprogram it which won't alter peak performance.

I have only been close the redline a couple of times in the 1500 miles I have so I asume I shouldn't have an issue, but it is an interesting issue. Especially since they call out and recognize that you can drive it at and above the redline for extended periods and are fixing something for that condition.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Can you even drive above red line in STI? My WRX has a rev limiter...

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    I don't know. I would assume the engine would cutoff at redline or something. I wasn't really about to try. I think I will get the service done, but I don't think I fall in that category.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You'd know if it effected your car. Your car goes BOOM if it fails.

However the re-program is necessary, it richens up the mixture above 6700 rpms.

It would probably only effect those of us who bang off the rev limiter sometimes :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • Options
    I hit the rev limiter once or twice...but then realized I had my "beep" set to high since it raced past 6500 before I could shift. Setting it to 5700 makes it easier to flag...I am still getting used to the sound and watching the RPM's while driving.

No BOOM though. I would have noticed that :-)
  • Options
    I have to ask...I have 6 speakers in my new STI and everything I have read says it is standard with an 80 watt 10 speaker sound system.

I checked, and unless they cleverly hid 4 speakers...maybe the 4 in the doors are really 2 each? There is no way there is 10. It didn't look like 2 in each speaker well.

Thoughts, comments.
  • Options
    Tweeters count as speakers. That usually throws people off a bit.

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I found similar feedback to the same question on nasioc.

I think that is that is hooey. if it has one red and one black wire it is a speaker. I think that a 10 speaker sound system is quite an exaggeration...but I understand how they are counting.
  • Options
    nerd1nerd1 Member Posts: 9
    So I talked to a few dealers in the So Cal Area, and the 2009 STi's are in. Does anyone know what the upgrades are from the 08 model. I read a rumor that the it went to to 330HP, but I also heard that there is no changes from the 08 to the 09. The Dealer really doesn't know anything.
  • Options
    davekatzdavekatz Member Posts: 4
    can anyone recommend some solid winter (snow and ice) and offroad tires with rims as well. I want to save my BBs rims for the road
  • Options
    I doubt it - we would have heard something more, I suspect, if there were big changes like that.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Ask to read the owner's manual. Any power increases would be noted there.

Bob
  • Options
    I have been watching for STI changes and haven't seen any.
  • Options
    The canadian website lists the same car with a few more options. Moonroof and bluetooth for example. That will make all the bloggers who are upset that it doesn't have that today happy. Not sure you are better off than getting a great deal on an '08 left on the lot.
  • Options
    can anyone recommend some solid winter (snow and ice) and offroad tires with rims as well. I want to save my BBs rims for the road

Pickup a used set of BBs and Nokian Hakkapolitta RSi tires. These are the best snow tires I've ever driven on. A little pricey but worth every penny.

-mike
  • Options
    I found this on a competitor website...it is not such a good review of the STI...however it is nothing new...and there are no times vs. other cars listed. Personally, it seems like they are addressing the compromises of the STI as they compare it to every other supercar on the market...reading it I am not sure if it that it was bad or just not what they were expecting.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_- cars/the_lightning_lap_2008_feature?cid=320
  • Options
    I'll agree as will most honest subaru enthusiasts, the 09 STi is not out of the box better than an Evo on-track. However, if you actually daily drive or non-track drive the car the STi will be the clear choice. The small compromises of on-track performance for the better daily drivability is worth it, in my opinion. Also the reliability of the Evo v. the STi is like night and day. So while in small doses the Evo appears superior, when you look at the details, I think the STi is a better all-around car. :)

-mike
  • Options
    I really like my 2008 STI. Not sure I love it yet since it is still new...but I am starting to. It is great to drive and very comfortable. I have been doing some weekend country drives early AM and it is very smooth on all surfaces.

It will be interesting to see how the long term tests EVO vs. STI pan out. I am happy with it and have no regrets vs. not getting something different.
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I'll agree with you. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that Subaru could do better. Perhaps, even winning on both fronts.
  • Options
    I've driven two versions of both the new EVO and STI. I'll take the STI any day of the week.

As Mike stated, the EVO, out of the box, is a better track car. As a daily driver the STI is the far better choice.

The EVO is noisy and hard; in fact it's just plain "hardcore track-focused." If that's what you like, then go for it.

The STI on the other hand, is far more comfortable and useful. The Evo's trunk is small like a glove box, and the STI is a hatch. There's no comparison between them as far as flexibility and usability are concerned. The STI is a great combo of sportiness and practicality, which, for a "street" car, makes the most sense.

I do hope Subaru will offer the STI spec.C over here for those who want an out-of-the-box track car.

Bob
  • Options
    I can't help but wonder if the WRX should fill the everyday "street" car role, and the STI should fill the "hard-core track-focused" role.
  • Options
    Not me. Think of it like the BMW and their M-badged cars. For example:

WRX = 3-Series or 5-Series

STI = M3 or M5

The M-cars are all hyper-performance—but luxurious as well. They're not track cars out of the box.

Bob
  • Options
    davekatzdavekatz Member Posts: 4
    All I know is I had a phenominal time with the new STI hatch packed fully with 4 days of backpacking gear for two. The STI was a f#$%#ng pleasure to drive on backcountry dirt roads and eats into the dirt while accelerating through corners. We only had to stop for an elk crossing.
  • Options
    I don't even fit properly in the EVO's seats so for me it was over even before I drove it.
  • Options
    Actually I sort of agree with you, but I suspect Subaru is missing the mark. CR raved about just that kind of vehicle when talking about the BMW 1 Series, they weren't as kind to the STi.
    I keep thinking that with Subaru's initial advantage of having their "symmetrical all-wheel drive" system, it shouldn't be that difficult.
  • Options
    But I want to order new rims and all season tires. I can't decide if I want to order BBS wheels...move the stock tires to them and then put the regular all season on the stock rims? Perhaps I should but really good all season tires and an equal to stock rims set for the winter?

I also want to get floor mats and a cargo mat. I haven't been able to find a good one-stop shopping at cost parts place for subaru yet.

Suggestions for rims, tires or a place to shop? I don't know anything about what are good rims...so just searching tirerack just gives me a 82 choices that I don't know a lot about.

Thanks
  • Options
    If you find rims at TR that you like, let me know, I get a real good discount on TR stuff, especially rims.

I'd look for a set of 17" 05-07' takeoff BBS wheels and throw snows on those. The Forged wheels are good for snow cause if you slip and hit a curb in the snow, they are a bit more resilient(sp?).

-mike
  • Options
    Not me. Think of it like the BMW and their M-badged cars. For example:

WRX = 3-Series or 5-Series

STI = M3 or M5

The M-cars are all hyper-performance—but luxurious as well. They're not track cars out of the box.

Bob

You hit the nail on the head Bob. That's my feeling as well.

Actually being on the track and involved in racing here in the US, the Spec C while a good track car, IMO isn't going to be worth the $ here in the US because it's neither here nor there. What I mean is that it's not a factory race car, you can't slap on numbers and race it in any road race class, so modifications would be necessary. Anyone who's tracking their car non-competatively would be fine with the stock STi with some minor mods to it. It's a tough call but not sure a Spec C would be worth the money it would cost for SOA to sell it here.

-mike
  • Options
    Well, I kinda agree, I see it more as (poor man's) versions of :

WRX = S4

STi = RS4

The comparison referenced only had a few cars, that in my mind, were marketed purely to "track set". The cars that the WRX and STi usually are pitted against are not that much different from a marketing standpoint. I think Subaru can improve the performance, while still maintaining the superior reliability and practicality. The most recent R&T comparison with the latest '09 WRX seems to bear this out.
  • Options
    Unfortunately if you start to make it too stiff for handling, your ride will suffer, unless you go with very expensive variable setups :(

-mike
  • Options
    Ah, that all elusive balance. That's the challenge. Personally, I think anyone seeking a car with performance aspirations, would be willing to sacrifice a bit of ride comfort. I agree that a variable setup would probably add weight, complexity and the inherent reliability issues that usually brings, and as you correctly point out, costs that would undermine the inherent value of these vehicles. Maybe, in the future those issues will be negated.
  • Options
    I suspect Subaru is missing the mark. CR raved about just that kind of vehicle when talking about the BMW 1 Series, they weren't as kind to the STi

That's a bit misleading - the STI scored extremely well and creamed the EVO.

STI also get the coveted check mark with a circle - I don't think the 1 series has earned that yet, since it's a new model and they don't have a reliability history. So technically CR recommends the STI and not (yet, at least) the 1 series.

I've said this before - when it comes to Subaru you seem to see the glass as half full.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Prepare for shock, Juice - I'm with you on this one. CR have always liked Subaru. They had them on or near top of their list in both reliability and actual tests - except perhaps Legacy/Outback, which they always complained about price, sluggish acceleration (2.5i), fuel consumption and lack of certain features that are expected at that class. They still recommended them regardless, even at middle of the pack.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    * GASP * whoaaaaa ACK, HuH?!

;)

CR has been in love with the Forester from the get-go. When it came out, in 1998, it went straight to #1, and only lost that top spot to the RAV4 for 2 years, then gained it back again for 2009 with this new one.

Any how, CR recommends every Subaru, I believe. Not so for BMW.

The Forester beats the X3 even in overall score.
  • Options
    True, I said "they weren't as kind to the STi", not that they were unkind. Cr did go out their way to say that the STi was indeed a very good vehicle, but they also said that they were a bit disappointed , and had higher expectations based upon Subaru's previous offerings.
  • Options
    This particular CR comparison was limited to "sporty vehicles". In a separate review CR positively gushed over the Forester.
  • Options
    When they tested the new Infiniti EX and re-tested BMW's X3, they did include the Forester XT in that sporty group. It did more than hold its own.
  • Options
    4wheelpilot4wheelpilot Member Posts: 7
    I just drove the first '09 STI in my area.
    The salesman said there have been no changes from '08.
    But i thoought i read somewhere that Subaru was going to tighten up the suspension and possibly increase hp because of criticism in comparison tests.
    So has Subaru upgraded the STI for '09?
  • Options
    The only change is a pearl white is now used instead of the white used last year.

In terms of criticism, I think you may be referring to the WRX, not the STI. The '08 WRX was heavily criticized, and has been significantly upgraded for for '09.

Bob
  • Options
    To the best of knowledge any STi changes have been inconsequential. I suspect that with Subaru's own improved WRX challenging it at substantially less money, that a healthy improvement will be seen in about 6 months or so. I am expecting at least 20 or more HP.
  • Options
    4wheelpilot4wheelpilot Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info.
    The current Car & Driver has an article comparing on the track, many high performance cars in a wide range of prices.
    The article points out that the STI was a disappointment.
    We all know that there can be a big difference between a car that performs well on the track and one that is a better daily driver. And sometimes you have to make a choice.
    It's just surprising that Subaru decided to keep the STI less perfrormance capable than it's competition.
  • Options
    It wasn't in a scenario where AWD would help. They drove on a perfectly dry, smooth track.

Run them all through a rally cross, or at least wet/bumpy pavement, and see who would win.
  • Options
    chirp chirp

Wow these boards have gotten cold. It is interesting that I am seeing people seeing 2009 sti's at dealers, but there website still lists 2008's.
  • Options
    I've recently driven two '09 WRXs. WOW! What an improvement!

One was a 5-door, and the other was a 4-door with the optional SPT cat-back exhaust. That one, with the cat-back exhaust is pure jail-bate. :) Boy does that sound neat, especially when winding through the gears! Having said that, I think the louder exhaust will soon wear on you, in terms of comfort (especially on trips), but boy was it fun! Also, my wife would just hate it.

According to the most recent issue of DRIVE magazine, Subaru has added a rear fender liner to cut down on road noise on the '09 Imprezas, and it seems to be working, as they were pretty quiet in that respect. I was even able to notice that on the louder SPT exhaust-equipped model.

I think this new WRX—because it's so good, could really hurt STI sales. Yeah, the STI may ultimately be faster, but for the money, the '09 WRX is soooo much more appealing than the '08 model; plus with the '09 STI you still can't get a moonroof or the AWP.
  • Options
    Bob, with the increase in HP, has Subaru done anything to improve the brakes? Or did they only address the power and handling issues with the '08?

Having tracked my nearly stock 05 LGT with only the Stg 1 AP (280hp/320lbs) I was burning the brakes up at the track. We are actually working on an upgraded 4-pot kit for the Imprezas/Legacies that use the stock LGT Rotors for around $700-800.

-mike
  • Options
    Bob, with the increase in HP, has Subaru done anything to improve the brakes?

I'm not sure Mike. My guess is they are the same as what the '08 WRXl has. I think the brake size is the same; don't know if they upgraded the pads or not.

Bob
  • Options
    Gotcha, I'm sure that will be the next gripe on the 09s is that they have power but not enough brakes :( Always something, haaaaa.

Then again, I'm a late braker and have always burned em up quickly.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.