Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Transmission Problems

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Well, keep in mind that in many cases, these Forums constitute lesson #1 in the car owner 101 course. Let's be gentle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    edited January 2011
    I'll go sit in the corner for a while.
  • takethedontstakethedonts Member Posts: 8
    My 09 Sonata v6 exhibits similar issue. A harsh downshift quite often at 40 and 50mph as the vehicle is being slowed traveling downhill - or at lower speeds when just coming to a stop. What happens...you can see the tach actually fall to 500rpm while the car is coasting at 50+ mph. It seems to slip right out of the gear it is in (5th) and goes to idle. As you brake lightly to keep your speed in check, the car slows enough to where it should downshift to the next lower gear (4th) and it bangs into that gear violently since the engine is at idle speed, not at a higher rpm where it should be. Tough to replicate for dealer but on certain grades at 40 and 50mph it is predictable.

I have appt with dealer next Monday and will respond with any results.
  • pajamabikerpajamabiker Member Posts: 6
    Keep taking it back!
    Has taken me three times.
    Transmision still down-shifts hard but each time I take it back it gets a bit better.
    Dave
  • hyundailemonhyundailemon Member Posts: 4
    My 2011 had transmission replaced and computer replaced and bucked again...this time causing injury. Surprisingly...the computer threw all kinds of error codes & rather than deal with my personal injury lawyer...offered to give me a brand new one. Don't know if I want one or not. Afraid I'll have same old problem. Locked it up in storage & afraid to go near it. Scared it's possessed. Driving my old Honda.
  • kmckinnonkmckinnon Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2011
    We owned a 03 sonata, bought new 11/02. The day after we bought the car, the transmission locked up. We slowly drove it back to the dealer. The service dept replaced some parts. It drove good for about 2,000 miles when it locked up again. We finally called Hyundai customer service. They sent a rep and authorized the transmission be replaced. We really did not trust that car after that so traded it for a 05 elantra GT with MT. Except for the sonata all the other hyundai's we owned had or have manual transmission. The elantra had over 100,000 miles when we traded it for the "11 6MT sonata.
    My mom has a 08 honda accord that had it's transmission replaced with less than 10,000 miles. It locked up. The 05 honda civic we owned was a p.o.s. one problem after another (no transmission problem it had MT) traded at 36,000 miles (end of warranty) for a 06 acura tsx. There are complaints about acura/honda automatic transmissions failing.One other thing the hyundai dealer was excellent. They went out of their way to be helpful and knew we were contacting customer service. Sometimes they need approval for certain parts to be replaced (warranty work)
    My harsh downshift problem is described in detail in Post 208 for others with similar issue. Dealer said my vehicle (o9 Sonata v6) already had all Technical Service Bulletin upgrades that were called for. (They can tell by the computer module diagnostic.) To keep me current they did perform one more "recall upgrade" that had nothing to do with transmission.

However, they did reset the transmission's "Adaptive Learning" which is how the transmission reacts to your individual type of driving. There was an immediate difference in the shifting patterns. Smoother and less frequent/annoying shifts both up and down. 10 days and 800 miles later the tranny has thrown just one "harsh downshift" which was not nearly as harsh as previous 3 or 4 per day.

For those with the harsh downshift issue I'd suggest getting your dealer to reset the adaptive learning for the transmission. Keeping my fingers crossed until comfort level returns or will return to dealer again per Dave's suggestion.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    More a question than a comment. Can't this "reset of learning" for the transmission be done without going to the dealer (garage) by removing the battery connections for a period of time? Seems to me that I remember something like that in the back recesses of my tired old mind. :confuse: Thanks for the comments.
    van
    I'm not an auto tech so I really couldn't say if a battery disconnect would work. I just called dealer to let them know the reset had clearly helped my specific issues... at least for now. When I asked your question I was told the transmission's "adaptive learning" is reset with their GDS (Global Diagnostic System) and they do it routinely. I didn't get the impression it's a very time consuming task so if still under warranty give it a try. Good Luck. Rich
  • agcg88agcg88 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY 09 SONATA ABOUT A MONTH AGO. I TOOK IT TO A DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID THE COMPUTER NEEDED RE SET. I WENT TO PICK IT UP AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON, THE ESC LIGHT WAS ON, AND WE COULDN'T GIVE IT THE GAS. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, THEY DENIED CAUSING THOSE ISSUES!! I AM KNOW HAVING THE TRANSMISSION ISSUES AGAIN AT 20 MPH. I OWNED A SUZUKI VERONA BEFORE(LEMON), AND I'M STARTING TO GET THE SAME FEELING ALL OVER AGAIN. IT'S TIME TO GO BACK TO HONDA.
    THE BEST WARRANTY IS ONE THAT IS NEVER USED.
  • blue2003z06blue2003z06 Member Posts: 1
    My '09 just bought with 45k miles shifts harsh and the car clunks from 1-2 shift. 2-3 is not as bad and the rest of upshifts are okay.
    Do also notice some weirdness when slowing down, as if maybe the tranny cannot figure out exactly what it's supposed to be doing, or what gear to be in as I slow down.
    My 9th car and never had tranny issues before, so this is weird to me.
    Maybe it's all the electronic controls - hopefully not a mechanical thing. It's under warranty, but still...
  • iola54iola54 Member Posts: 1
    have you gotten anywhere with your letter about the transmission in your 2009 sonota? Im have the same problem. Please let me know
  • delbardelbar Member Posts: 32
    interesting forum here, just figured I would post to let you all know - I have been reading the Camry forum for months now -
    figured I would research Sonata as I am so tired of the rough shifting Camry, so it seems the Sonata has the same issues!!!!
    rough downshift at 35 mph and 25 mph - acceleration sluggish at times and smooth at others -"whiny" noise from engine when pressing gas pedal
    idles very high until warmed up - (start car about five minutes before
    I need to drive it - back to the dealership three times since purchased 4 months ago and it just goes on and on - and of course they cannot duplicate the issues. Any issues they can duplicate they deem "NORMAL"
    about ready to take the city bus !!
  • bankerbugbankerbug Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata v6 and at 18000 miles had to have my transmission replaced, am now at almost 19000 miles and my car is doing the same thing again and now it is starting with a slight shutter and it revs up and down when i first start it. Im glad Hyundai has a good warranty cause i have a feeling im gonna use it alot as i cant afford to trade it in.
  • lawndartlawndart Member Posts: 1
    FYI: Just bought a brand new 2011 Sonata. As of today, 2/26/11, the car has right at 3,000 miles. I haven't even owned the car 30 days and it has not even had it's first oil change! As of 2 days ago it is at the dealership with the identical transmission problem everyone here is writing about.

I was on my way to work traveling about 45mph when it "felt" like the car hit a cinderblock! After that, the transmission would not shift at all, stuck in (what the dealer calls) a limp-home mode. I drove it straight to the dealership. They told me that the transmission needed a shifter solenoid and that the part was on "National Backorder." They MAY be able to get one in about 2 weeks, but they have to go to the manufacturer to get it!!!
    Sounds like a pretty popular part if you ask me.

Between my wife and I we have owned 5 Hyundai vehicles: 3 Sonatas and 2 Elantras. I still own a 2004 Sonata as well as a 2004 Elentra (the 2011 Sonata makes 3 currently vehicles owned). We have put over 150,000 miles on each previous vehicle with no problems and only regular maintenance. With all the problems I read about concerning the new Sonata transmission, I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right choice with this car!
  • jackiechjackiech Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I have the same problem with my 2009 Sonata. Before I stop sometimes, the transmission will gear down fast and give me a little kick. I have been wondering if anyone else has been having this problem.
    edited March 2011
    Yes, I have been having this problem for a couple of months. I thought I had gotten some ice, dirt, or snow on my brakes during the winter storms in our area. My mechanic checked the brakes and didn't find any problems. I have an appointment this week with the dealer, but I may call the company first. You are not the only one having this problem.
    Yes, many others on this forum (and the Hyundai forum) have complained about the "harsh downshift" issue. My dealer reset the transmission's "Adaptive Learning" which is how the transmission reacts to your individual type of driving and it worked well for me. There are now smoother and less frequent/annoying shifts both up and down and that harsh downshift only occurs once in a while. I suggest asking your dealer to reset the adaptive learning (if they don't already) after they check for factory updates your vehicle might require.
    Here is an update on my 2009 Sonata. After three attempts to reset the computer etc., they have replaced my transmission at 25000 miles. When we went to pick it up, it was still slipping!! we had to take it back and they again, had to reset the computer. They act like they don't know what they're doing. This is the second dealership we've dealt with.
    I have a 2009 Sonata with 30,543 miles. I have been having this gearing trouble for a couple of months. I called Hyundai's company (1-800-633-5151) and told them other people are having the same problem. Everyone needs to call and report this to them.
    I have been having the same problem with my 2009 Sonata for about three months. I thought it was my brakes, but my mechanic checked everything out. I called the dealer and they suggested I have the transmission fluid changed. The manual says replace at 105,000. My car has 30,354 miles. I have called the Hyundai's company (1-800-633-5151) and filled a complaint. I suggest that everyone else do this, too. Please add my complaint to your list.
  • sonataowner5sonataowner5 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me. I was driving along about 50 mph and it too felt like I hit a cinderblock and then I noticed the motor was turning about 3000 rpms as opposed to the 1500 it normally did at 55 mph. My sonata was purchased in Nov 2010. I have made 4 payments on it and it has only 11,000 miles. After reading these posts I am not certain I will keep this car. I am so irritated because consumer reports and everyone else rated this car as top notch which is part of the reason I chose to go with the Hyundai as opposed to my usual Honda or Toyota. GRRRRRRR
    I'm taking my 2009 Sonata in April 1st. Is there a recall on the transmission flasher? Where do I go on the internet to find out?
  • geobluegeoblue Member Posts: 71
    Hello,

We have a 2006 Kia Optima at around 68K miles. I am thinking of at least having a drain&refill for the transmission fluid.

Kia, like Hyundai specifies SPIII ATF. Is that a must? Redline claims its D4 ATF can be used where SPIII is required.

Has anyone had experiences with Redline D4 or any other ATF on the one hand and with SPIII on the other?

Should I just have a drain&refill done or should I get a flush?
  • juliek0226juliek0226 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata as well. I have been having the same problem since August 2010. I have had my car in 8 times to a local Hyundai dealer and have been in contact with Hyundai corporate. I have nothing good to say about either one. It took me driving my car for the mechanics to show them the issue with the transmission lurching in a down gear. They failed to "duplicate" the problem the 7 times they had driven my car. After getting on Hyundai's case they finally put a remanufactured transmission in my car that failed to fix the problem. Not only did it fail to fix the first problem, it now shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd gear. We have caught Hyundai in 3 lies since we have been dealing with them and called them on the carpet each time. This is the worst company I have ever delt with and suggest everyone thinking of buying a Hyundai to CHANGE YOUR MIND!!! BAD BAD BAD company!!! Worst customer service and very unknowledgable mechanics!!! After researching Sonata transmission problems I see a lot of people are having the same exact issue and Hyundai is well aware of this. They are just failing to look into the problem and have a recall. Good luck with everything! My car will be going back AGAIN tomorrow for the 9th time since October..... Not to mention my car has been in the shop 27+ days of the 8 months I have had the car.... Not cool...
  • terrijordan24terrijordan24 Member Posts: 4
    I started having the downshift issue in the beginning of winter this year - I had about 30K miles on the car at the time. It would downshift at 1000 rpm when slowing down for a stop sign and then buck forward. I kept meaning to bring it into the garage and finally a week ago brought it to a local garage and they told me it was the transmission. I made an appt with my local Fuccillo Hyundai dealer (very nice people that I dealt with) when I called they told me that there IS a recall on this particular make and model so they were going to check my complaint and they were also going to fix what was recalled. This is what it says on my receipt as to what they did:
    Check for open campaign TB7
    Automatic Transaxle ECM & TCM update TSB # 10 - 01-023 (service campaign TB7)
    Campaign open
    2009 and 2010 Sonata 2.4L (NFA) vehicles with automatic tran
    production date range 12/17/2007-10/05/2009
    Perform ECM & TCM upgrade as per campaign TB7 10BA23RO 0.3

Basically they said they needed to update my computer. I did this on 03/28/11 and do not have the problem anymore. I have read that people have had this done and the problem left then came back. I will keep you posted. I am going to post the name & number of my dealer just in case you want your dealer to call them to get the info or anything
    Fucccillo Lincold Mercury - 518-382-0274
    Good Luck!!
  • momof1squirtmomof1squirt Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anything was resolved with your 2011 Sonata, the same thing has happened to me. 1st time was when I had only had the car for about a month and was going about 35-40 and there was a big BANG and felt like I hit a cinder block... Next time was just the other day going about 80 on the freeway - just about gave me a heart attack - same thing. Taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck...
  • momof1squirtmomof1squirt Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anything was resolved with your 2011 Sonata, the same thing has happened to me. 1st time was when I had only had the car for about a month and was going about 35-40 and there was a big BANG and felt like I hit a cinder block... Next time was just the other day going about 80 on the freeway - just about gave me a heart attack - same thing. This time the transmission was stuck in 4th gear - would not move. Let it sit overnight and the next day, its working fine. Go figure... Taking the car to the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck...
  • beckylou2beckylou2 Member Posts: 1
    At 24,000 miles my 09 Sonata V6 started the jerky transmission shift. Dealer replaced transm. Now at 45,000 same thing is happening. Did anyone every get a solution? Do I try another transmission replacement?? Has anyone discovered the solution to dealing with Hyundai about this. I cannot find anything about a recall.
  • wilkypokeswilkypokes Member Posts: 1
    mine is doing the same thing what do i do?
    See post #232

My dealership said there was a recall on this problem I had my transmission re-set (computer) and so far I have not had the issue again. I posted the phone number for my dealership if you want to call them to get any specifics. The resetting of the computer has helped most people but some have said they are still having issues.
    Bring your car to the dealership - see post 232 and tell them to do what is posted. You shouldn't have to tell them though it is a recall and they should be able to look it up.
  • mel71mel71 Member Posts: 3
    Terri:
    Thank you for your information. I have a 2009 Sonata and my transmission is doing the same thing. Primarily when it is cold, and I am coming to a stop, at about 20 mph the tansmission derks down into 1st gear which causes me and passengers to fall forward, like someone hitting the brake hard. As it warms up it is not much of a problem.
    I called your dealer and he said my VIN number is not included in that recall campaign, but yet my car is doing exactly the same thing. I am working with a local dealer and asked them to contact Hyundai to see what can be done. It is very frustrating when a car manufacturer knows they have a problem yet does nothing about it. They just don't want to do a major recall for all 2009 and 2010 Sonata's and have to replace the transmission in every one!

Mel
    Darwyn:
    My 2009 Sonata is doing the same thing. So far, my dealer said they don't see a problem as it typically almost goes away when the car is warmed up.
    My car has about 51,000 miles on it.

Mel71 (April 19, 2011)
  • leahcimleahcim Member Posts: 10
    I too have an 09 Sonata with 32K miles and it has started to downshift hard at about 20 mph. It's gratilfying to hear that it is only a computer fix. I plan to go in next week to see what my Hyundai dealer has to say about the problem.

I'll let you all know what I get done.
    You need to tell them you need a computer update - mine did the same thing - when it warmed up it would go away - if you get the update you won't get it at all.
    Thanks Julie. Please let me know what you get done to your 09 Sonata. According to Hyundai, my particular 09 Sonata is not on the list (based on VIN number) to have the reprogramming to the transmission. However, another dealer is going to look at it as soon as I can get it in.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks...Mel
    I took my 2009 Sonata into the dealer about 3 weeks ago. They changed the transmission fluid and it hasn't downshifted since.
    Thanks jackiech! I have an appointment on the 13th of May for getting my annual PA state inspection and to have them look at the tranny.

I'll let you all know what they do for me to fix the problem.
  • laura74laura74 Member Posts: 2
    I have had troubles with my car a Hyundai Sonata "09" since I got it. First of all my transmission was replaced before the 3,000 mile mark. I was still having problems with my car and had it back to the dealer a couple of times just to have them tell me that there was nothing wrong. When I am driving and coasting it down shifts really hard. My friends that ride in the car with me joke around with me calling me lead foot and such because after stopping at a stop sign and then shifting into gear it is like stomping on the gas, all my passengers lurch forward. I am so glad that I finally decided to look up the problem on the computer. Thank you all for sharing and I will be calling my dealer tomorrow and the company on Monday. I was also wondering if anyone has had rotor issues as well. At 20,000 miles I had to have my rear rotors cut, despite the breaks being just fine, and at 25, 000 miles, today as a matter of fact, I had to have the back rotors replaced and the front ones cut, even the brake pads are just fine.
    I bought a new car so that I did not have to visit my mechanic as often as I did with my old car and that isn't working out so well.
    I have a Tuesday appointment with the dealership concerning my 09 Sonata and the hard downshift at about 20mph, especially when the tranny is cold.

I'll let you know what develops.

On another note, the high stop light, the one under the rear window, needs a bulb replacement. Apparently this is a difficult thing to do and the Hyundai engineers should be flogged for making this a hard issue. One dealer told me $47 labor to change this $3 bulb.

Anyone out there with this repair experience?
  • yul711yul711 Member Posts: 8
    I have replaced the high mount brake bulb myself on 2006 Sonata. I have to agree it is a rather difficult/inconvenient procedure: one has to lay on his/her back inside the trunk over the trunk lock and work with hands extended upwards for a while. I have read the procedure description online, it took about 30 minutes and I had a sore back afterwards. On another occasion a local mechanic has done that for me for $15 including cost of the bulb.
  • bbansalbbansal Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem Its starting happening few weeks back I have about 22K miles on my sonata so far.
    From what I have read online, I conclude that there is a difference between the 3rd light on the 06 and the 09 Sonata. When you remove the screws from beneath while lying on your back in the truck, the light on the 06 comes away from the window and you can change the bulb and replace the light assembly. On the 09 you can't do the same because the bulb holder has an elongated form that prevents you from taking the assembly off the back deck.

What I did was to remove the light socket, let it drop into the trunk, and then I took the assembly away from it's location. I followed a tip from another reader and removed a lot of un-needed plastic on the light socket. I removed enough so that after I changed the bulb I reinserted the socket into place, and was able to put the assembly back into its location after treading the wiring into the hole that leads to the trunk. Then it was a simple matter of installling the screws that hold the light in place on the rear deck.
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    edited July 2011
    I have like 22300 miles on my 2011 sonata i REALLY believe my tranny has issues twice i went to reverse and i heard a clang sound and when i parked it the gear illumnation went completly blank the d, r, p, etc. It had did this twice with no check engine light coming on and i believe it is slipping as i drive i get no power struggling, scooting to get up to speed. And when i do i have lost power. Now what you would not believe is i rode with a serv mgr and he said it was normal saying the delayed power is the computer switching to find gears and engine breaking how in the world can you get past these guys doing this to us heck i want my auto fixed i hate this i left honda for this dammmmmmmmmmmm!!!! help me man please. Ps i see you put the tsb's will i be able to get them to do this for mine even though there is no check engine light coming on but the symptoms are DEFINETLY THERE!!!! Ps i am back from from this to me its the trannny no doubt i went to the dealer and all day i was there and NOTHING WAS DONE AT ALL. The same issues i had before i came in what happen was they said another dealer put alot of codes on my auto but to me i do not care who put what FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!! ITS THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND AND MY CARS TRANSMISSON IS SLIPPING. AND THEY HAD THE NREVE TO TELL ME TO ITS DRIVEABLE I BROUGHT IT BACK 3 TIMES AFTER LEAVING THINKING THE REMOVED THE CODES FOR WHAT THEY SAY THE OTHER DEALER DID SORRY FOR CAPS FOLKS I AM ON A ROLL. Here's the history 4 to 5 times this happened when i am in reverse the gear gauge r,n p,d, light goes completely blank when i try drive off it will not as i am on the street driving it feels like it does not want to pick up speed its embaraasing because i have power in this car BUT BUT THE Dmn THING DEOS NOT WORK SO GUYS WHAT DO I DO WHEN A DEALER TEELS ME THE NEW SONATA DO THE SAME THING OH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY HELP
  • jrochmanjrochman Member Posts: 1
    Mookie14,

I just wanted to let you know I have a 2011 Sonata and have experienced the exact same problems. I am going to go and see if I can get it serviced after the 4th of July weekend. I will let you know what they decide to do.
  • laura74laura74 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, on my 2009 sonata the dealer told me since I just had an older car I will just have to get used to the way a newer car shifts!?! What the heck!!
    And this is after I had the transmission already changed before the 3,000 mile mark. I have been there so many times I know the guys in the service area by heart. My problem is that they tell me that they cannot do anything for me unless a service tech feels the problem. I tell them that it happens at random I cannot make it happen. So they tell me to bring it in the moment it happens. Like I have that much time to stop everthing and ride to the dealership. Hyundai has not been much help either. By the way my father who owns a Tuson has noticed problems with his transmission also. Ugh, my first brand new car ever and this is the trouble I have!!!!
  • mauthorlee04mauthorlee04 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with about 23,000 miles. I'm experiencing the same thing. When shifting the car in reverse I have noticed that the gear lights do not illuminate always and my door locks do not auto lock as usual. The vehicle seem to be very sluggish when excelerating and the transmission almost sounds like something is rubbing, Something is definely going on. I contacted the dealer and expalined what I have noticed and was told that their is a recall on the transmission. I have an appointment schedued for Tue.
  • mauthorlee04mauthorlee04 Member Posts: 2
    I dropped the car off and was called today that its ready to be picked up. The dealershiped replaced a transmission range switch. I'll let you know how it drives, wish me luck.