Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan

cosmo1950cosmo1950 Member Posts: 11
I joined this discussion because there was no category for my classic dream car. I own an unrestored bone stock black 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan 4 Door and I love it like no other car I have ever owned! My dad had a black 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan coupe when I was eight years old and I have always longed to own a similar Lincoln and it became a reality recently. Now I am taken up with nurturing it and joinging other classic car buffs in my central NY region where there are lots of classic cars. I will be a regular vistor here for sure, now that there is a category for this fabulous automobile. I am going on a maiden voyage of 90 miles one way to a classic car picknick tomorrow on Sunday the 29th of July and I will report back on the trip in this discussion group.

Comments

• cosmo1950cosmo1950 Member Posts: 11
    Was a success! Had lots of freeway travel at 65 plus mph. Only problem was a real hot interior. The day was pretty sunny and very warm and so was the inside of that car! I do believe there is something foul with the air circulation inside because nothing but heat was coming from the fresh air vents. Will do an investigation.
    This was a FoMoCo event and the sponsor was a generous couple of Ford devotees. They made everyone feel at home. They had barns full of cars that would make your mouth water! I never in my life saw three 1953 Mercury's in a row. It was awesome. What they could not fit in the barns were tucked under the tree rows that lined the farm they owned. All sorts of diamonds in the rough. I imagine he was keeping them hid so he would not have to register as a junk yard. I will tell you, I am an early Ford man all the way and no Ford is "junk" in my blue book! Everyone that came to the event had really nice Ford rides, most of the years were covered from a 1939 Lincoln V 12 coupe, that was spotless to my 1950 Lincoln, all flatheads for the most part. There were a few 1st and 2nd generation Mustangs there too. It was so much fun driving and keeping up with the BMW's etcetera on 81 South in NY. Keep on rollin. :)
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    Sounds like a nice time! Do you have any online pics of your Lincoln?
    I tried to paste them at the Edmunds recommended site but I got an error that said I do not have a modern op system. I still use Windows 98 and that does not qualify and I refuse to change over. If you want, I will email you a picture. I tried your email and it came back undelivered. :mad:
    hmmm, I dunno why it would've come back undelivered? :confuse: I use that account all the time. Anyway, I have a photobucket website where I upload stuff all the time. So if we can figure out how to get those pics to me, I could post them there for other people to see.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Hoping you get those pictures posted. Am anxious to see the new ride.
    Still working on getting some pics on a public site somewhere. Eventually. Today I received an email from Red's Headers in California and I have been on a waiting list for headers for my ride and they are ready this week! I ordered a set of ceramic coated and will have them for this summer's cruising. It sounds so cool now with one glasspack, when that big V8 has those headers and two glasspacks I will be in heaven! Also got my garage extra entrance door completed so my baby will be able to hibernate the NY winter not far away.
    I want to find a matched pair of nice mellow glass packs and some big diameter pipe to stick out from under that awesome rear bumper and then my hot rod Lincoln will be a road warrior! :)
    Back in the fifties I remember all those flatheads with those hollywood mufflers and no overhead valve engine can duplicate that sound. I tried with my 1991 Mustang but it still sounded bland compared to a free breathing flathead. Since I got this car I am meeting more guys and gals devoted to that engine and it is fun kicking it with them. I also got a pair of 22 inch Smithy's glass pack mufflers for those headers and today I stopped by the local muffler shop and got a bid on hooking it up. I thought I got a fair price of around 300 bucks to bend all the pipe from the headers to the rear bumper and then I will have the sound that kills and return me to my teen age years as a hot rodder. How cool is that? Boys with big toys, that's me! :P
    Check out my photo; My Lincoln Rod Hot in the photo section of this site. It is a love affair divine! :)
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Beautiful!
    Had a low point this weekend I will tell you! Went out a few days ago to fire up the Cosmo and NADA. Not a peep out her! So I just put the 6-Volt Charger on the battery overnight and next day, NADA! Not a peep! OK, the battery must be shot so I bring it in to Auto Zone and they check it on their machine. It is a dead battery. I buy a new Farm and Truck battery 6 Volt and hook it up. Drive my Cosmo with no problem. Next day I try it, NADA! Not a peep! OK, this is getting frustrating so I bring it back to Auto Zone and they check it out, it is fried! They give me a new one. Now, before I hook this one up I do some research. I begin with my neighbor who is an old flathead man and he right away spots a shredded wire to my Voltage Regulator. It is so near the Voltage Regulator that for sure it must have touched the metal casing and grounded out the meter and fried the internal components. So today I went to my source for parts and ordered a new 6 Volt Voltage Regulator and some wire repair links and now I have to wait for the new part. This is typical of classical cars and patience is a virtue with them. Be forewarned and those of you with classic cars know what I am talking about! Keep on rollin! :sick:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, we know.

Like a string of firecrackers, things will go wrong.

You might want to check out the rest of that wiring harness, if it's original and it probably is, things can get pretty brittle.

Part of the fun!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry for the interruption, but can you drop me an email please? This is about your email concerning updating your address that you sent into the Help Desk. I tried emailing you at your new address, but it was returned. :confuse:

Click on my screen name for my address.
    I had to delete my old email address and I lost my membership at Edmunds! So, here I am starting all over and fighting for a place for the Cosmopolitan model. When you search Edmunds "Lincoln" section they casually omit the Cosmopolitan! I have no idea why because I think it was the most beautiful of all the Lincolns and not just because I have one. I bought it because it was the most beautiful! I guess my pictures will remain under the cosmo1950 handle but I will check to make sure. You look at it and deny it as the most beautiful if you want.
    As far as an update on my cruiser; the thick walled exhaust pipe will be in at the muffler shop in my home town tomorrow, 9-5-07 and the header job will finally get done. I sent my busted AM radio off to Idaho for a refubishing. A guy there will strip out the innards and install a modern AM/FM receiver and leave it bone stock and you will not notice any visual change from the stock radio installed in the dash. It will be a 12 volt connection supplied by a booster that boosts my stock 6Volt connection up to 12V. I will run just one speaker as that is all it came with in 1950, way before the boomers and boxes of killer speakers, sub woofers and amps. You can bet I will buy a top of the line 6x9 to go in the dash where the old one used to hang out and do nothing. So far it is running pretty good but still do not have a working speedometer. I have a guy that will repair it but no one in my town will attempt the removal. If you know how, please let me know and I will try. No one would remove the radio either but someone showed me how and I did it. You have to be able to do some things yourself with these old cars. Mechanics fear these cars. More later. Cosmo1950 aka cosmopolitan1 ;)
    Few mechanics will work on old cars and for good reason.

1. They don't know how since they were born in 1982.

2. They are afraid they will break something irreplaceable.

3. They don't want to tie up a stall for weeks or months.

This could open a whole new topic. How many places would tackle an overhaul on that flathead? Nobody in my neck of the woods that I know of!
    Just call me cosmo1950 from now on. Our moderator straightened out the confusion of changing my email address. Now for today's activity. Another glitch on the dual exhaust hook up for my Lincoln. I dropped it off this morning and I get a call at 10:30AM about a problem of routing the pipe on the driver's side. Ford did not provide a hole big enough in the frame on my side for duals so remember that on vintage FoMoCo's! Well, that frame opening can only be done by a plasma cutter and fortunately I know a guy down the road who works on modified race cars and he will do it tomorrow. I had to prep the spots on the frame though as he does not have a lift in his shop. So I did the prep work at the muffler shop with all my tools too. Nice guy to let me do it. Had to take it down to bare metal as the plasma cutter will only cut bare metal and not undercoated metal. I had to get dirty and did I! Using an air abrasive wheel and a wire brush on my electric drill. Will try again tomorrow after the plasma cuts. Adios! Good thing I am retired! :)
    You are lucky you found someone who would let you use thier lift to work on your own car. This is another thing of the past!

Be damm careful how you cut that FRAME!
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    You are on the wrong site.
    If you want to discyuss your car with people who understand it (and YOU) you need to be on Jalopy Journal
    I will pack my bags and leave this site and shake the dust from my sandles. Sorry I offended you with my "jalopy", enjoy your plastic Tonka car to the fullest! ;)
    Someone didn't take their Midol today!

That site is for and about MEN who are into old cars like yours. Maybe you wouldn't fit in there. But that's where I discuss and gather info on my 3 1950's vehicles.

Sandles, huh? They sound real cute.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You are very welcome here. We are a generalized and vast forum that talks about all kinds of cars, modern and old, but you'd be surprised who might show up on these boards.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, so you just keep at it. You might think about starting your own page on your car, and then you can add blog entries and tell us how you are coming along. Go to www.carspace.com to get started on that.

Once your page is up, you can invite friends from these forums and also outside these forums to see what you've done so far.

RE: Cutting the frame -- this was a common practice. I've seen it done a LOT on the late 40s, early 50s Oldsmobiles, to accomodate dual exhausts. The plasma cutter is nice because you can get a very very neat hole. I've seen some that just didn't look very good.
    Yeah, I guess those HUGE, THICK frames were still pretty strong even after being cut!

Ignore the troublemakers, they always go away when ignored!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Ignore the troublemakers, they always go away when ignored!

Yup notice we haven't seen that particular new trouble maker on the sales side of the boards lately?
  • pssamplepssample Member Posts: 7
    I'm on the older side myself, but had to look up some pix on google. Cool looking car - maybe consider converting to 12V? :D
    So, why don't you go there and STAY there instead of coming here and causing trouble in a peaceful forum?
    Why do that? Those 6 volt systems work just fine given the light demands those cars had.
    Well, maybe YOU will get sick of similar conversations with yourself and move on.

You could have suggested that site in a friendly manner.
    Two posts were removed for rules violations.

Please continue your discussion!

MrShiftright
    Host
    Nah, I gave good advice to check the most popular old car discussion board on the internet, not a warm hug.

Smithy's mufflers and flatheads are discussed there everyday--about 15 of the first 20 posts here were from him and responding to himself so I figured he might a place where he can get some interaction on his topic.

If good advice upsets people, I think that is more their problem than mine. I do appreciate your advice and value it as much as I paid for it.
    next time just give the advice without the jabs to the ribs and we will appreciate you more.

I think if he builds a Carspace page he'll have an easier time sharing photos and data with us and with other forums. As he progresses on the car, we can follow along.

I'm always interesting in the choices people make during restoration.
  • rodloverrodlover Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks,
    We just got this lincoln in our shop to restore. Don't know much about it and need much help. Right now I need rocker panels and don't know where to find them. Can anyone help? Thanks :confuse:
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Member Posts: 4
    i just joined and was reading the posts from cosmo 1950 what happened why did he stop or have i not found the right spot also would like to find the pix he posted can someone tell me where to look or did he set up his own carspace sight
    No haven't seen cosmo for quite a while. You might click on his highlighted name in one of his posts and if a public e-mail shows up, drop him a line.
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Member Posts: 4
    i have recently purchased the same car he was talking about and would like to find some of the places he was able to find parts for his beauty the one i picked up is in good shape no body damage no broken glass or lenses has some surface rust and will start when i put a battery and gas in it so if you happen to see or hear from him i would appreciate if you could tell him i was asking or even if you happen to know where i can find the parts i will need to restore to factory i thank you
    First place I'd look is between the covers of the latest issue of Hemmings Motor News. They also publish a resource catalog for vintage parts.

If you hunt and are persistent, you can find almost any part.
  • toemoss71toemoss71 Member Posts: 11
    Just joined, and noticed that one post was talking about how his/her dad had a 1950 Lincoln Cosmo 4-door and he loved the car, and is the reason he bought one. My fascination is the same: My dad had a 1950 Cosmo 2-door convertible in sky blue with a white top, white tuck'n'roll interior, and penstriping. I loved that car! It always attracted attention wherever we went, and cruised down the highway like a sweet ride at 80+mph. I was really sad when he sold it.

A second one was owned by my grandfather, a '50 Cosmo 4-door black sedan. I told both he and my uncle that I wanted it if he sold it, but it ended up with the heating oil deliveryman before I found out he was selling it.

Right now we don't have any spare cash for a project car, but given my druthers it will be the car I have someday. Being in the Willamette Valley in Oregon where it rains quite a bit, I'd opt for the 4-door sedan as I love the suicide back doors - and my daughter could have her own door.

Anybody else care to share?
    That won't be an easy car to find but I'm sure they are out there and probably reasonably priced, too. Do you know any major differences between that model and the equivalent Mercury?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    From a Google site...

]
    "Lincoln Tries to Find Its Way: 1949-1960

The party was over. The pent-up demand for cars after W.W.II had been fairly well supplied by 1948. Up until then, any warmed-over pre-war model was quite acceptable. But the normal laws of economics dictated that once this demand had been met, the various players would actually have to compete against one another. This meant new products. Lincoln answered the challenge with an entirely new car for the 1949 model year, first offering it for sale in April, 1948.

1950 Lincoln:

Two models were produced. The Lincoln, with a wheelbase of 121 inches, and weighing about 4000 lbs, cost $2575 for the door. The upscale Cosmopolitan rode a wheelbase of 125 inches, weighed about 4200 lbs, and was priced at $3238 in the door style. Both cars were powered with Lincoln's all-new flathead V8 of 337ci. At 152 horsepower it was about equal to Cadillac's 160. But it was not an overhead valve engine and would only last 3 years. Initially only a 3 speed manual transmission with optional overdrive was available. Later in the year the GM Hydramatic would be an option."

From another site I found that the '49-'51 Ford V8 was 239 c.i. and put out 100 hp, while the Mercury engine from that same period displaced 255 c.i. and generated 110 hp for '49 and '50, and 112 for '51.

They can certainly sound more powerful with glasspacks.
    The Mercury was smaller and less powerful, as noted above. The "regular" Lincoln is referred by many as the "baby Lincoln" as it was the same body style as a Mercury with the Lincoln nose on it, while the Cosmo was the full-blown Lincoln.

From "Lincoln The Gold Portfolio: 1949-1960" here are the specs they give:

1949 Cosmo 4-door sedan weighed 4,527 pounds and sold for $3,238 while the most expensive and heavy was the convertible at 4,717 and $3,948. The 337 cu. in. V-8, the first V-8 in a Lincoln since 1932, was rated at 160HP, and was both the biggest engine Ford had ever built and the biggest production engine on the market. The regular Lincoln and the Mercury shared the 7-A body while the Cosmo was a different body style. The 337 cu. in. V-8 was an adapted truck motor.

If you can find this book, it goes into quite a bit of detail on the design and numerous changes for the 49-51 Lincolns, especially the Cosmo. The ISBN number is 1-85520-0163 and was printed in Hong Kong, but was distributed by Motorbooks International in Osceola, Wisconsin 54020. Inside the back cover it gives the phone number for Motorbooks International as (715)294-3345. If this doesn't work, the British side is listed for direct orders as:

Brookland Book Distribution
    Holmerise,
    Seven HIlls Road, Cobham, Surrey
    KT11 1ES,
    England

It's sad tha the Cosmo was dropped after only three years and is pretty much relegated to the shadows of automotive history. It is a beautiful car and in many ways a trailblazer in design.
    "It is a beautiful car and in many ways a trailblazer in design."

In which ways was the Cosmopolitan a trailblazer in design? I ask because it seems to me that the Cosmo was more or less on a par with the other '49-'51 Ford Motor Company models, and maybe less trail blazing than, say, the Cadillacs of those years. That doesn't diminish my liking of the '49-'51 Fords, Mercs and Lincolns. They were neat cars.
    I'd have to say the '49 Ford was much more of a trailblazer. The Lincoln strikes me more 40s than 50s, but the Ford had that simple, clean stand-up quality that predates the 55-56 Chevys, rather than the "blob" shape that characterizes most late 40s cars.

What makes some of those Lincolns and Mercurys so popular is how well they take to being lowered, chopped, shaved, frenched, etc.

Generally speaking a trailblazing design is not apt to be heavily modified in the body shape (as a rule), since you can't do a lot to improve it. Engines, paintwork, etc are a different thing.
    I think the clean, smooth sides of the Lincolns, with their integrated rear fenders, do give them a modern look compared to a 1949 Cadillac or Chrysler/Imperial, both of which still had bolt-on rear fenders.

Still, by 1949 a lot of cars had that look. The "pregnant" Packards, Kaiser/Frazer, and Nash were doing it. Studebaker didn't quite have them integrated yet, but still had a smooth, modern looking package. And the Hudsons looked downright futuristic by 1949 standards.

The 1949-51 Mercury always stands out in my mind as being modern looking for the time too, but I think my mind is clouded by the multitudes of customized Mercs I've seen through the years. Seems like they outnumber the stock survivors enough that I sort of forget what they look like. The customized models often look futuristic and sleek, sometimes a little garish, depending on how well of a job was done. But in stock form, I don't think they really have anything on a Buick or Olds from that era. Now a 1949 DeSoto, its closest Mopar competitor, is downright old-fashioned looking in comparison.

The 1949 Ford was probably the most modern looking of the Dearborn bunch though. I think the combination of smooth, integrated rear quarters, as well as tall, almost hood-height front fenders made it look more futuristic than a 1949 Chevy or Plymouth.
    Most automotive stylists would agree with you I think. Good design is often not a matter of how "pretty" the car looks, or interesting, but rather how harmonious and coherent the entire design is. A car can have an attractive front end and a pleasing back end but the two clash with each other, or are not connected by the lines of the car.

But I like the Lincoln design as well. I'd call it "period attractive" for sure.
    No question that all the Ford products of 1949 were a departure from the 1948 models. Fenders were more integrated into the body, running boards disappeared, and this resulted in the "slab side" smooth look. The Cosmo, IMHO, was innovative as it used these features in addition to the largest and most powerful motor available at 160HP; Ford & Merc used the same basic flathead motor with enhancements. Because of the body changes, it also featured more interior room than previous Lincolns. The Cosmo seems to have a low & sleek profile for such a large car.

Granted without hesitation that the GM cars were using overhead valve V-8's instead of the flathead design, and this is the only true drawback I can see to the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln offerings for '49-'51.

'49 was a year of big changes for Ford in their body designs. And an interesting side note is that the '49 models for Ford were the last ones personally approved by Henry Ford himself.
    Aside from the OHV engines, GM had a much better automatic transmission as well, (starting in 1941!) and pioneered the 2-door hardtop design. I'd say that in '49 at least GM had quite a good edge on Ford. Also one-upped them with the '53 Corvette

'55 was a good year for Ford-GM head to head competition IMO. After that, GM slapped Ford silly until the Mustang. Maybe not in sales, but in design, quality, etc, no doubt in my mind at least.
    "...GM had a much better automatic transmission as well..."

Lincoln used GM's 4-speed Hydra-Matic, an excellent transmission, in its '50-'54 models. Buick introduced Dynaflow in 1948 (ultra smooth but very inefficient in terms of gobbling power and poor gas economy), and Chevy made its Powerglide available in its '51 model.

Ford Motor Co. introduced Fordomatic and Mercomatic (the same torque converter 3-speed design), but I think Lincoln first adopted this (Lincomatic?) transmission for its '55 model. The Ford automatics were okay - more efficient than Dynaflow and Powerglide, although less rugged, and definitely neither as rugged nor efficient as Hydramatic, but smoother. You definitely felt the shifts with the old Hydramatics, kind of like the old Benz automatics.
    Yes old Hydros were rugged. Many of them are still working without rebuilds.

Really? Ford used a GM product? I never knew that. Any info on that somewhere?
    Here's one source, from the "Old Car Manual Project"...

"updated November 30, 2002

Hydramatic Transmission Manual for the 1949-1950 Lincoln

Hydramatic transmissions (built by General Motors) were used for years in Lincoln cars. This rare factory service manual covers the Hydramatics used in the classic '49 and '50 Lincoln cars.

Contributed by Mike Schmitt.

INDEX:

Operating Instructions

Fluid Service, Manual Linkage

Throttle Linkage

Band Adjustments (External)

Valve Control Assembly - Disassembly

Front and Rear Servos

Reverse Anchor, Bracket Assembly & Shims Remove, Install

Transmission-Remove

Trouble Diagnosis"
    from Wikipedia...

"Starting in 1948 Hydramatic became optional for Pontiacs, although Buick and Chevrolet chose to develop their own automatic transmissions. One million Hydramatics had been sold by 1949. In the early 1950s various manufacturers that did not have the resources to develop an automatic transmission bought Hydra-Matics from GM. Users included:

1950-1956 Hudson
    1950-1956 Nash
    1951 Frazer
    1951-1955 Kaiser
    1954-1955 Willys
    1949-1954 Lincoln
    In 1952 Rolls-Royce acquired a license to produce the Hydra-Matic under license for Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles. It continued production through 1967..."
    I knew about all the others but not Lincoln. Surprising!

The Rolls cast their own case for the Hydramatic. Probably was the best part of the car, next to the upholstery.
    I must confess to liking the taillights on the '49 & '50 Lincoln Cosmos MUCH more than the '51. Something about that set-in (almost frenched) circular taillight with the divider into threes that just looks too cool for words, especially when combined with the rounded rear fender.