Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan

2»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not to be too picky but Powerglides were available in 1950 Chevrolets.

Ford followed up the next year with it's Fordomatic.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Ahh, you're right, isell, and thanks for clarifying that.

In comparing Powerglide and Fordomatic, Fordomatic was the more efficient and versatile of the two transmissions, although if you left the gear lever in "Drive" the car started in second gear, thereby utilizing only two of its three gears. You had to place the selector in "Low" to start out in first. I believe the early Powerslides, whoops Powerglides, were similar to the Dynaflows, in that they started in the second of two gears, if you placed the selector in "Drive." You engaged first by putting the selector in "Low." Because off-the-line acceleration was painfully slow in Drive, Chevy changed it (in '53 or '55) so that the car started in first regardless of whether the selector was in Drive or Low. Ford didn't make that change, apparently feeling it wasn't necessary, since their automatic used two gears in normal every day driving, just like Chevy's. Another difference was that Chevy's first gear was lower than Ford's second gear, so under normal use Chevys were a little more responsive off the line, with comparable engines.

Now when it came to durability, Powerglide was more rugged than Fordomatic. That's not to say that Fordomatics were problematic for the average owner, but Powerglides rarely failed.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree with you.

In 1953, the Powerglides started shifting by themselves.

Plymouth didn't get a "real" automatic until, I think 1954.

Chrysler messed around with Fluid Drive and Hy Drives.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Yeah, it was 1954 when the Chrysler Powerflite was finally offered across the board. I think it actually came out in mid-year 1953, but was only offered in Chryslers and Imperials. I read somewhere that Chevrolet was selling 1/3 of its cars with Powerglides by 1950 or 1951, so the popularity of the automatic transmission caught on fast.

How would a Powerflite compare to a Powerglide or FordoMatic? Wasn't the FordoMatic a 2-speed? One of my officemates recently bought a '62 Ford Galaxie 4-door, and he said it had a 2-speed, and called it "Fordomatic".
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Powerflite and Powerglide (from '53 on) performed similarly. Both were rugged and low maintenance, but were hampered by having only two gears, so that represented a compromise.

Ford introduced a two speed automatic, similar to Powerflte and Powerglide, well after they offered the original three speed unit, but I don't know off hand just when that was. Maybe it was 1959, when they introduced the 1960 Falcon. The Falcon automatic was a two speed unit. That transmission was also featured in the Mercury Comet and, I believe, the Ford Fairlane and Mercury Meteor, or at least the smaller engine versions of those intermediates. They continued to make the three speed unit (Cruisomatic?) available, however, for a few or several years. The two speed was an additional Ford transmission.

Man, I hope I don't offend anyone, but it occurred to me that we must all be a bunch of certified nuts, living in the distant past, agonizing over such trivia. Oh well, I suppose it's no different than recalling old baseball scores and related details. At least it's legal and harmless.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Just tune in to a sports call-in radio show and you will experience levels of minutiae and useless mind-boggling trivia that will make this discussion seem like a solemn consideration of the Death of Socrates.

"Well Yah Jerry Farnsworth came up from Triple A in February of '96 with an ERA of 2.54 against lefties but interestingly 5.57 against righties in cloudy weather conditions. He always wore one blue and one red sock...I'm not sure which one on which foot---anyone out there remember that?"
  • toemoss71toemoss71 Member Posts: 11
    This may be a bit off-topic, please excuse me but this is one of those ironies in life:

In my high-performance days, the PowerGlide was called the "slip'n'slide" and would be thrown away as quickly as possible to replace it with a Turbo 400 as the best performance automatic. Well...I have a good friend who's drag racing, and guess what the performance auto for racing is today? Yep, the PowerGlide - with many modifications, of course. But I've seen street rods that are using the PowerGlide for high-horsepower motors, like 600+ hp! Truly strange...
    interesting!

But yes, we are going way off topic here so either we have to steer back to the Cosmo and related areas or wrap this one up I guess.
    Does anyone know how many presidential Cosmo limos were made? I see them mentioned from time to time, but not sure I've seen a number of how many were actually manufactured in what years. Great looking cars, and if they aren't spendy it would be fun to have one. The red lights in the grille really adds prestige to the car.
    Commander Cody of "Commander Cody & the Lost Planet Airmen" 1970's swing band has his 1950 Lincoln for sale. The band did a remake of "Hot Rod Lincoln" and dedicated this car as their version of the hot rod Lincoln. Immaculately customized with a supercharged Chevy 350 and all the classic custom goodies:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1950-Lincoln-Hot-Rod-49-50-51-Mercu- ry-Lead-Sled_W0QQitemZ320310166263QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewI- tem?hash=item320310166263&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A7%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c- 0.m245
    Sorry, it's the lead guitarist who sings the song that is pictured with the '50 Lincoln, no Commander Cody. Bill Kirchen from "Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen" was at the car show, saw the car, autographed the dashboard & had his pic taken with the car. He also asked that the car be at the stage when he sang the song.

Current bid is $25,500.
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Member Posts: 4
    in 1950 there were about 538 made
    There are three 1950 Lincoln Cosmos in Hemmings Motor News, varying in price:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lincoln/cosmopolitan/?year=1950

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan 4dr sedan. 2 tone green. Ca.unrestored rust free survivor. 76k miles. 337 V8 & hydramatic run well. P/windows and seat work... more... $10,500

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan sedan, all or part, nice solid body & nice grille, trim, etc. 209-984-5858, CA.**15-YR**... more...

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan sedan, gorgeous example, has correct mint interior, Verde green exterior, smooth & quiet flathead, nice as they get.... more... $19,500 Location: Santa Barbara, CA
    For sale by: Auto Store
    Cars shown by prior Appointment
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103
    PH: 805-966-3272
    FAX 805-966-3202
    For pics: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/lincoln/cosmopolitan/685539.html-
    While this isn't experience on Cosmos, it relates as the cars are 50's vintage with the same "challenges" (except my hearse).

I have had the frame cut on my '51 Ford business coupe, '53 Ford Victoria, and '68 Cadillac hearse to accomodate dual exhausts. No problems with frame issues, they are strong enough that the metal that was cut out didn't compromise the frame's integrity.

As to wiring, IIRC the insulation on the 50's wiring was tar-impregnated cotton. It's, as we've all experienced, vulnerable to age and will get brittle over time. Any kind of kinks in the wiring will cause the insulation to fray and expose the wire itself. My '49 Ford had to be re-wired, and I sat down with a Motor's Manual, set of connectors, & 5-6 rolls of colored wire and hand re-wired it; only problem was using the high beams made the taillights go out. :blush: I also didn't rewire the dash, which would be a huge task by itself. But it was arduous and only really possible as the headliner was gone and all the main wiring was (relatively) easy to access - not sure how the wiring could be pulled through the top with the headliner in place without difficulty.
    I don't know of any shops off-hand that will touch a flathead - it was accurately stated most mechanics have never seen one, let along worked on one.

You can order short blocks from classic car companies, but they are spendy and shipping is nasty.

I overhauled the flathead 8 in my '51 coupe about 20 years ago and it was quite an experience. The big thing is - get adjustable lifters!! The stock lifters are solid, so to adjust the valves the end of the valve itself has to be carefully ground off; too much and you have to start over with a new valve.

It's actually less complicated than an overhead 8 as the valve train is much simpler - no rocker arms or pushrods. But finding the parts locally can be a real challenge. I was lucky and found a local guy that had lots of specialized flathead parts and worked out of his garage.

I also replaced the pushrod for the fuel pump in addition to the pump itself. Of course the carb had to be overhauled and the oil pump replaced, along with all the usual stuff like a crank kit, rings, boring over (if necessary), etc. If you've overhauled any overhead valve motor, the flathead will be different but easier for the most part.

Hopefully this isn't a boring review of what everyone already knows, was hoping to add to the knowledge of the group.
  • mark1950mark1950 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a front windshield for my 51 lincoln cosmo. measurements are
    18 inches by 58 inches.
  • jimmgjimmg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1950 Cosmo used as a Limo at this time.I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a good advertising site or if someone out there could give me an Idea what it might be worth.I got so attached to it I am not sure if i'd like to get rid of it.Also how would I look up the previous owners I was told it was one of two Cosmos that belong to President Truman but I could not do a VIN check on it because it only has 9 numbers as a VIN rather than 17 Thanks Jim
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2011
    I remember reading about Truman driving one of these (or being driven, more like)! Don't have answers to your questions, but I hope you'll post a link with some pix...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jimmgjimmg Member Posts: 2
    I did research on Truman called the museum in Missouri.They say they needed proof of this.That they don't have the Vin's of his cars.Maybe I can call the White House LOL Don't know how to post a link.Can anyone help
    Here's what I have from the Truman Library:

"The 1950 custom Lincoln Cosmopolitan 7-passenger limousine was one of nineteen vehicles made for White House use. It was garaged at Metuchen, New Jersey and was reserved for President Truman whenever he was in the New York area. Alexander J. Barket gave the limousine to the Truman Presidential Museum & Library on April 14, 1972. It has a special body built by the Henney Motor Company of Freeport, Illinois under the direction of the Lincoln-Mercury engineers and with the aid of Lincoln technicians. It is equipped with a high compression V-8 engine. The limousine is part of the museum's permanent collection."

Harry like Chryslers for personal cars. He even took a road trip, just him and his wife alone (!!!) in 1953, and stayed in motels along the way.
  • hoosiergrandadhoosiergrandad Member Posts: 96
    I've read that after Harry handed the White House keys over to Ike, he and Bess drove back to Missouruh, taking their time and stopping along the way to visit friends......the presidency wasn't quite so imperial in those days. As to the '53 road trip, some old folks still remember Harry stopping at gas stations and drinking Cokes with mechanics in the garage,etc.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I'm not sure, but I think he actually took a train most of the way back home. But you're right, he liked to drive and had the people's touch. We don't think of Truman as particularly charismatic, but I met someone who knew him and said that even when he was in his 70s he had amazing presence...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tg1957tg1957 Member Posts: 3
    jimmg,

I'm researching these cars, too, and need to get in touch with you about yours. Do you mind sharing the 4 middle #s of the VIN (serial number)? Should be 62- -. You can do it privately if you wish.
    Thanks,
    TG
    edited August 2011
    Jim,

See post # 79 above about your car.
    Thanks,
    TG
  • 1950cosmo1950cosmo Member Posts: 1
    I need your email to reply, thanks. Richard
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Member Posts: 4
    not sure what #s you are looking for mine starts 63
    Richard,
    It's gibs8662"at"bellsouth.net (just replace at with @)
    I'm only concerned with the 145" wheelbase Cosmo limos at this time,
    so thanks in advance.

TomG
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The October Hemmings Classic Car magazine has a feature article on the 1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan.
  • customcarnutcustomcarnut Member Posts: 4
    ANYONE HAVE OR NO WERE THERE IS A WINDSHIELD FOR A 1950 LINCOLN COSMOPOLITAN CONVERTIBLE I NEED ONE ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANKS BOB
    Mark is it a convertible or coupe 1 piece curved windshield, i need a 1950 cosmopolitan convertible windshied bad was told it is 18x58
  • spookybullspookybull Member Posts: 1
    do you no how to put that windshield in
    have you found a windshield yet, if not i may no were one is its nos
    need parts for 1950 Lincoln cosmos convert 1 need drive side fender spear , 2 need driver side chrome piece that the park light is mounted in,3 passenger side interior windshield trim a picture of the outside were the stainless trim meets stainless at the convert top there is a gap there I think a piece is missing HELP
    tough items. You may have to go to that huge Hershey swap meet:

HERSHEY 2013

I wonder if some sedan parts would work? You might visit the Lincoln parts section at www.hemmings.com
  • stick5351stick5351 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Pickup Custom, and I would like to know if there is any info out there on when where and by whom it was originally built. Thanks