Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Climate Control Questions and Problems

13»

Comments

• glenacresfarmglenacresfarm Member Posts: 1
    I have similar problem. It seems when i am driving in the rain the A/C cuts out. If i shut off the car and restart the A/C will start again.
  • jmagurejmagure Member Posts: 2
    glenacresfarm, I was experiencing this problem for months. Last week, the local Hyundai dealership performed the following work: "Per field engineer, AC Control Head Failure, Replace AC Control Head, Parts provided by Hyundai Field Engineer". The delearship claims this is the fix provided by Hyundai as others have been reporting the same issue. Since mine was fixed, it has only rained once in my area. On that occasion the problem appeared to be fixed. But since I have only been able to verify that one time, I am reserving judgement until it rains a few more times. Good luck and post back here when and if you have your problem fixed. These forums can be very helpful to fellow Hyundai owners.
  • peteelecpeteelec Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, where is the air conditioning relay located?
  • lj51057lj51057 Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same issue - new Sante Fe purchased May 2010 - AC stops working when it rains and the car is driving more than 20-30 mins. Last year they said was faulty acucuator (?).... it was Sept by the time they believed I had this problem... last night - under rainy conditions... AC defroster stopped and all the windows fogged! VERY dangerous... I am so unhappy with this car - anyone have an answers as to what this problem is ???
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    2010 Sante Fe w/ Climate Control

My Ventilation System insists on blowing cooled air with both the AUTO and AIR controls turned OFF. As soon as I call for Outside Air and bump up the blower, the chilled air appears.
    Should the Temperature settings be displayed when the system is OFF ?

My Service Managers solution was to bump up the Temp setting. My response was "Why should that matter if the System is OFF " ? Also, I cannot detect a change in the compressor when switching between Off and Air, and the RPM's remain constant.

Am I doing something wrong, expecting too much, or do I have a problem ?
  • dabnaplesdabnaples Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Santa Fe with an A/C problem. When diving in the rain the A/C
    will start blowing warm air. Turning it off and on or to heat has no effect. Turning off the ignition and back on will start it back to cold air. Nothing else will help. The dealer could not repeat the problem so he said bring it back in when it is blowing warm air which is almost impossible to do.
  • nateman7nateman7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 SF Ltd with 90K on it, and noticed that I have had to press the "auto" button on the AC controls after starting the car up. It seems the control unit is not "remembering" the last setting for the control when starting up. Unit blows warm un-conditioned air, and when I push "auto", the compressor comes on, cool air blows, and the fan speed increases as it should. Until recently, the unit would remember the setting or state of the controls and work automatically.

Last night, the kids wanted to hear a song on the radio after I turned the car off, and I can do that by switching the key almost all the way off. Usually, I turn the fan blower off so warm air is not blowing into the car interior. I was unable to do this last night. I could adjust the fan speed up and down, but the "off" button would not shut the fan off.

Is this problem something anyone else has experienced? Perhaps a bad switch contact or maybe the unit is on it's way out? Thank you!
  • nateman7nateman7 Member Posts: 2
    After posting yesterday, I noticed the "A/C" button seemed to be sticking. I pressed it to get it unstuck, and now the unit is working as it should. Perhaps this was causing the malfunction.
  • mackie3mackie3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Santa Fe just started putting heat out of the driver side vents while the passenger side vents are putting out cool air as desired. The dual control switch is off. Is it a damper or a vacuum line? Where do I start?
  • edamindyedamindy Member Posts: 1
    Similar Problem. Driver side stays cold no matter what the heat setting is (both or dual). No blown fuses. Think I've trouble shot it down to the drivers side ac regulator motor on the lh side of air box (motor controls the position of a flapper door inside box). Looking for a way to verify the motor is bad. Want to swap left and right to see if problem goes to the right, but the right side is alot harder to get to. Anyone know of another way to check they motor? Dealer is quoting $92 to replace it. Want to make sure it's bad.
  • kevpowkevpow Member Posts: 1
    Just curious how you made out as I have a similar problem with my Sonata dual air system.
  • atoysatoys Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the exact same problem, no heat on the drivers side, but heat blowing from the passenger side. Have you been able to verify the problem and/or the solution. I really want this problem fixed and the dealer can't seem to figure out what's wrong or how to fix it.
  • dgilbydgilby Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I searched the posts but I didn't see anything similar.

We have a 2010 Santa Fe A common occurrence has been to be driving along with the heat/blower on over half close to 3/4. All of a sudden the blower will turn off without even touching it. It will go on and off randomly without even touching it. The dealership tech replaced the blower motor and now it is the complete opposite. The heater will be pretty much turned off and all of a sudden there will be big blasts of air come from the blower.

Any idea of what this may be? and a solution wuld be great

Thanks for your help
    Derek
    Do you have the AUTO function ON ?
    Sounds like the the system is trying to maintain a set TEMP.
    Does the same scenario happen when cooling ?
    All I have is the manual operation. I don't have an Auto option

Its just a pain because you can turn the heat on 3/4 and it shuts off. With winter coming I'm gonna need it.
  • mykeofozmykeofoz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. The illuminators on the climate control knobs are not working, so I can't see the knobs when driving at night. If I want to adjust the heat or air, I have to turn my overhead light on in order to see the knobs.
    Has anyone else heard of this problem or know how I can fix it?
  • rob156rob156 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds similar. I have a 2001 Santa Fe that I have restored. It has 157000 miles on it and very little problems. I had warm air blowing and I refilled the freon. In about a week it was warm again.. It blows hot air now and there are no leaks. I opened up the cabin filter area and there was no filter. The plastic holder was broke and the cold air was inside of the glove box. I glued it back securely but it still blows lukewarm air. The freon levels look good and I filled it to a perfect level. WTH, It has no leaks so what is causing this????
  • bob482bob482 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Santa Fe had the same compressor cutout problem due to outside temp change. With climate control set at 72 and driving in 85 deg summer weather I crossed into a valley where the temp dropped abruptly to 65 deg. The compressor shut off and would not come on in any mode - A/C, Auto or defrost. Had to shut off engine and restart vehicle for compressor to operate again. Windows fogged up inside - very dangerous situation on interstate. Possible solution: replace control head (assembly) that operates the compressor - if that doesn't fix problem have dealer update software/firmware.
  • retiredtechguyretiredtechguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe that blows hot air most of the time when the vent is on. It also dilutes the AC when on. It is not consistant and appears to be a hot air door that that is not fully closing or a controller that is acting up. The dealer replaced the control consule earlier this year without success. He claims Hyundai Tech Support is baffled and 'never heard of this' and has no solution.

The symptom will vary and suddenly start or stop making driving with fresh air impossible.
  • bobd_bobd_ Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe Limited, just noticed when trying to get heat in auto or out of auto the passenger side blows cold air while drivers side works properly. Both sides seemed to work correct using AC this summer(last week). I have read several posts but haven't seen a definite answer. Tried to also get into Hyundai Webtech but was unable to create an account. Any answers out there?
  • 1dot1dot Member Posts: 1
    have you found the answer we are having the same issue
    No solution yet, drivers side works fine. Passenger side worked with AC but heat usually blows cold. We bought the car in August and this is the only issue we have had. I will be sure to post if I make some progress.
    For us it was the blower motor, had to research the solution myself after a bunch of trips to the dealer. It was pretty sad the dealership couldn't figure it out.
    Was your problem the flapper door motor or the fan motor? I understand there are flapper door motors on drivers and passengers side. Did you fix it your self or get the dealer to work on it? Cost? Thanks
    As far as I know it was on the main dial that turned the blower on. Dealer did it under warranty. The heater would just stop even though the dial was turn to three quarters. They replaced something and then the dial would be turned off and the actual would turn on full blast by itself. It wouldn't happen every time. One a week maybe, it took them a couple times to get it to work correctly.
    My heater problem, hot on drivers side and cold on passenger side, has been corrected for our 2008 Santa Fe with 60K miles on it. Local dealer replaced Climate Control Unit at no charge. We purchased vehicle from this dealer in Aug 2012 with 56K miles on it. I am very happy with this vehicle.
    Did you by any chance pay for an Extended Warranty when you bought the Sante ?
  • ynottodayynottoday Member Posts: 2
    My 08 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L won't blow full heat normally, but very rarely it will. The dealer isn't convinced that there is a problem, but to keep me happy they changed thermostat, did coolant flush, changed cabin filter, still under warranty. But no improvement. It normally reaches 125-136F (depends on fan speed). But on the rare occasion it reached 144-154F. I consider this reasonable since I measure about the same on other cars. Any ideas what to try next cause the dealer isn't any help. I think they are just stalling for time since the warranty is up in 2 months. Since I measured 144-154 once then I know the car can do it, but it is intermittent. btw, I measured a few other 08 santa fe's. Two were like mine, one was hot like 144-154. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    No, I did not buy any warranty.
    How are people with '08 veichles with high mileage getting work done at no cost/under warranty ???
    Its tough enough around here trying to get a smooth shifting Tranny on a 2010 with less than the Bumper to Bumper mileage limitation.
    edited February 2013
    Please read Post #136
  • ynottodayynottoday Member Posts: 2
    My 08 has 85k on it, and another 1.5 month to go on the warranty. Just bought it before Christmas. The original owner put 5 yr bumper warranty on it.
    Your are fortunate and a wise Buyer. Most '08 models are long out of that kind of protection.
  • mese68mese68 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited in very good condition that i purchase brand new. It currently has 70,000 highway miles. I commute to and from work by train since i past around 60,000 miles. Sometime after 60,000 the check engine light came on. Now the gas gauge is inaccurate and cannot determine how much gas is in the tank. Also it is winter and inside the cabin the heater blows normally on the passenger side but blows cold on the drivers side. The dealer wants to charge over $500-$600 to replace the fuel sending units (2 pieces one for each side under the rear seat which are little float like devices that sit in the gas tank) costing around $80 each i believe. Hyundai doesnt cover this if your vehicle has over 60,000 miles which is when this part seems to fail. Im going to attempt to do myself after doing some research doesnt seem too difficult as this is a common problem with Hyundai who refuses to ignore this that has happened with their other models and older santa fe models. For these reasons is why i will never buy a hyundai ever ever ever ever ever ever again.....
  • mese68mese68 Member Posts: 2
    I too have a 2008 santa fe and also have the same exact problem with the air blowing cold on the drivers side when its freezing cold out. I just fixed the fuel gauge problem replacing both fuel sending units which is also a common problem with the santa fe but i had to pay out of pocket due to my vehicle having over 60,000 miles. Not only did i run out of gas numerous times because the gas gauge didn't work the interior now smells of gas which will take weeks if not months to go away. Hyundai wanted to charge me $500-$600 to fix this but bought the parts myself on ebay and had an outside mechanic fix for $60. I removed the rear seats myself making it easy access for the repair. Now i have to fix this cold air problem. Anyone have any idea what i have to do for this????????
    Dealer did mine and said it was a $750 part (Climate Control Unit). It took them about an hour and a half to fix it. I believe it was a circuit board but cannot help more than that. The work sheet showed they checked several different voltages and viewed the heater door actuation motor before and after Climate Control Unit replacement.
  • res61000res61000 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. The A/C has stopped working, It worked fine last season. With the a/c switch on the compressor is not cycling. Tried it with the defroster on still no cycling. Checked fuses for a/c none blown.
  • jfh1969jfh1969 Member Posts: 1
    does your ac light come on whenever it wants to as well?
  • dukesdad2dukesdad2 Member Posts: 2
    my ac turns on when it wants to; just got used to it.
  • tas10tas10 Member Posts: 1
    my a/c has been turning on when it wants to since 11/2012! I have gone to dealer many times & they just tell me I have a ghost in my car. Did you find out what the problem is!
  • scchickscchick Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Santa Fe Limited in June of this year. Did not purchase at a Hyundai dealership--bought from a Toyota dealership. 28,000 miles. Turned on the heater last week and only the heat on the passengers side works. (Heated seats work on both sides) Drivers side vents, defroster on drivers side and rear seat vents all cold. No extended warranty. Paid more for this vehicle than I was planning because it looked so nice. Where do I start with this? Certainly not looking for a high repair bill. I know many of you have been through this so help me cut to the chase. Thanks!
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble, we had the same problem but fortunately our dealer repaired it at no charge. They replaced a board that controlled which vents opened an closed. If I remember right it was about a $500 job. Ours has worked fine since. I have been happy with both our Santa Fe vehicles, 2008, and 2007. The invoice says "No voltage signal from control unit to passenger air mix actuator temperature controller, open voltage signal in climate module". Looks like the part number was
    : 1 97250-0W350-WK Control Assy-Heater
  • rpmccasrpmccas Member Posts: 1
    The problem is the heater door actuator motor. If the passenger side temperature does not change than the actuator is located on the passenger side of the center console. You can buy the part from Amazon.com for $35. Dorman part #604-307. You can change it in under an hour. Don't bother going to the dealer. They want to charge you $500 for the repair. They want to keep it a mystery so you'll pay them to fix it.
  • JithinJithin Member Posts: 1

My 2003 Santa Fe seems to have an odd AC problem. The air temperature remains cold when running the AC, but periodically the air flow becomes restricted. You can hear the blower still working, the bit of air that comes out of the vents is still cold but you can feel very little air flow. Changing the vent knob to different positons (feet, defrost, etc) does not help. Turning the system off for some time, then back on will fix the problem. Seems to happen more often when it's hot outside. Dealer worked on it, changed the blower door and blower relay. Problem does not happen as often but still occurs a few times an hour when driving.. any suggestions?

Were you able to fix the issue ? I have the same problem with my 2013 santafe sport.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    The description you replied to suggests that the evaporator core is freezing. There should be controls to prevent that from occurring such as either an evaporator temperature sensor or a low side pressure sensor. You'll need to explain to the shop how long you have to drive it and at what speed in order to encounter the symptom.