Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Transmission Questions

Comments

• krystalwkrystalw Member Posts: 2
    I did email you with all the information. Waiting to hear back from you.
  • rocdriverrocdriver Member Posts: 9
    As you may see here with earlier posts, we had our 08 Enclave transmission replaced under warranty in mid October. Here it is early December and it is already leaking transmission fluid onto our garage floor. Back to the dealership again. I cannot express my disappointment and frustration enough with this vehicle. It has been less than 2 months. The dealer has been great. Car - not so much.
  • hpy2hpy2 Member Posts: 3
    I started having problems with the engine stalling today! Have a 2008 Enclave CX at 45,700. Can't reverse, the RPM shoots up to 3 1/2 to 4 with extra loud engine noise. The stalling happens when transit nearing 40 mph, don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Is my vehicle under warranty? Is there a recall with regard to 2008 Enclave transmissions? I want my ride back...please help (michigan)
  • evanobevanob Member Posts: 7
    Yes you should still be under warranty. GM has surprisingly not issued a recall for what appears to be a known problem. The transmissions seem to be failing between 40 and 60K miles due to failure of a component called a "wave plate." Once this item fails, the transmission needs a complete rebuild. I do not know if later model years are affected. My car is a 2008 AWD and failed just before 50K thankfully. The new transmission is running well so far (after maybe 3000 miles). The dealer also flashed the computer with a newer program, so mileage improved and transmission changes gears more logically than before rebuild. You will not be the first Enclave that your dealer has seen with this problem.
  • enclaveissuesenclaveissues Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. I bought my 2008 Enclave CXL in September of 2010. Searched and searched for just the right one. It was supposedly certified pre-owned and I also purchased the GM protection plan. In January of 2011, the entire electrical system went out and then in March 2011 the transmission was replaced. The car had 73K on it.... The work was completed under warranty but .....last week it began hesitating badly so I took it in and am told that it is once again, the transmission. However, since the car now has 104K mile on it, the work will NOT be covered. Wow....the transmission lasted an entire 31K and GM will not cover it because the original work was done under the powertrain warranty which ended at 100k. I was told that if I had PAID for the work, it would probably be under warranty........ Incredible. So disappointed in this vehicle..... :lemon:
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. I bought my 2008 Enclave CXL in September of 2010. Searched and searched for just the right one. It was supposedly certified pre-owned and I also purchased the GM protection plan. In January of 2011, the entire electrical system went out and then in March 2011 the transmission was replaced. The car had 73K on it.... The work was completed under warranty but .....last week it began hesitating badly so I took it in and am told that it is once again, the transmission. However, since the car now has 104K mile on it, the work will NOT be covered. Wow....the transmission lasted an entire 31K and GM will not cover it because the original work was done under the powertrain warranty which ended at 100k. I was told that if I had PAID for the work, it would probably be under warranty........ Incredible. So disappointed in this vehicle.....can't get rid of it because who would want this nightmare..... :lemon: :sick:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I understand why you are frustrated. Have you already worked with Customer Assistance? We are available to set up a case so that your situation will be evaluated. Please send us an email with more information, including: your name/username, contact information (address and phone), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

If you would also be so kind as to include a link to this page, that would be helpful as I am not the only Customer Service Representative who responds to the emails that come in from Edmunds, and we want to be sure we can capture the context of the situation.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • aconesacones Member Posts: 21
    My '08 Buick Enclave (48k miles) simply shut the engine off while my wife was driving (can anyone say SAFTEY issue). The check engine indicator flashed on and then the vehicle simply shut off and would only re-start after allowing it to sit for a short period of time, only to barely make it another 100ft or so before shutting off again. Had the car towed to Buick and they replaced the water pump claiming that it was leaking and was the cause of the vehicle shutting off. (I'm not certain that even as a safety feature, a car should shut off while being operated). Anyhow, that was two weeks ago- last night, while I was driving home it shut off me twice. Once again I had the vehicle towed to Buick where it sits waiting to be diagnosed. I was able to get a code (B0242) which indicated Power Train Control Module issue, but once again, my main concern (in addition to this vehicle seemingly having never ending mechanical issues) is that it is extremely unsafe for a vehicle to shut off while being driven. Luckily for us, the vehicle is still under manufacture warranty and we purchased an extended warranty at time of purchase (NOT intending on NEEDING to use it). Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me please? We use to love this car when we first bought it, but too much money being spent on a machine that seems to be prone to leaving us stranded and constantly waiting on tow trucks. Thanks in advance for any replies & also for listening (reading) to my frustrations.

Aaron Cones
    SFC, USA
    I am very sorry that you have felt unsafe as a result of the engine shut down with your Buick. I see that your vehicle is in the dealership already - how is the diagnosis and repair progressing?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    The diagnosis was a faulty ECM which has been replaced. The first diagnosis was a faulty water pump (2 weeks ago). I am extremely confused, however, as to why a vehicle would simply shut the engine off while driving for either of these faults. Two completely different mechanical issues; resulting in the same exact EXTREMELY UNSAFE scenario? At 48k miles for a vehicle in this class, this is absolutely ridiculous mechanical workmanship from GM. I feel as though we are simply biding our time until the next unsafe mishap occurs with this car (and who knows when, where, or at what speed we will be driving when that happens). The only good thing for us is that we purchased the extended warranty when we bought the car off the show room floor in '08.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    The first diagnosis was crap in my opinion. I think the issue all along was the ECM. It makes no sense that the water pump would have that result. I think your dealer messed up.
    I'm glad to hear that your vehicle has been diagnosed - how does your Enclave run now? Please do keep in touch and let us know if anything should arise. Your safety and satisfaction is a priority to us!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    After escalation up to the regional level, GM has decided to replace the transmission but will not provide a loaner. I'm now over 3 weeks without a vehicle..... in the past 16 months that I have owned this piece of junk, I have spent two months of that time with in the shop...... Wow.
    Thank you for posting an update on your case. It's great to hear that your transmission is being replaced, but I understand how it's frustrating to be without a vehicle. Your patience is appreciated as we work to resolve this!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    At the moment the vehicle is operating just fine, but in my case (unlike some others I've read) it seems as though I will not know anything is going to go wrong until it's too late. Safety & Satisfaction? OK Sarah, I'll let you off the hook with that one since I know these things are not your fault, however, safety would be designing a car that does not simply shut off the engine when the check engine light comes during normal operation and satisfaction would be feeling as though I got my money's worth out of this supposed luxury crossover.

SFC A.C
  • coollegalgirlcoollegalgirl Member Posts: 1
    We are having a similar problem. We have trouble starting the car when the temperatures are cold outside (30sF). We've also experienced the car shutting down while driving. I agree this is so dangerous. The car seems fine when its warm outside.

We took the car into the dealer for this problem for the third time this morning. They seem unconcerned about the problem. So far the only thing they've done is run program updates.

I'd be interested in whether other people had more trouble with their Enclave not starting (and stopping while driving) when it is cold outside.
    I see that you have been working alongside your dealership already towards resolving this; if we can be of any assistance as well we'd be happy to help. Please send us an email with more information (including your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Many of the newer vehicles have a "limp mode" or "engine shutdown" condition programmed into their control modules which are triggered when the module receives information from a sensor that indicates engine damage if the vehicle is kept running. For example, if a sensor picks up an overheat condition, then the sensor sends a signal to the module to shut down the engine before there is engine damage. There are several problems with this technology. First, it's dangerous to have the engine cut off while you're driving, especially on the highway. This frequently occurs because the sensor sends the wrong message to the control module, i.e. the sensor believes something is wrong when it's not and the engine cuts out. Another problem is that various systems are connected to the control module and a failing in any one of the systems could trigger the cut off. Check out some of the other GM forums and you'll see when the STABILATRAK malfunctions the engine typically cuts off. Similarly, if the throttle body has a problem, the engine will cut out. Hopefully, GM will address these issues. Good luck.
  • buistdavisbuistdavis Member Posts: 2
    Our 08 Enclave started acting up after 250 miles at 75-80 mph. The temperature warning and gong sounded on flat terrain where i95 and i26 intersect. We had to pullover for 15 minutes with 80 mph traffic passing and idle the car until the transmission cooled. The transmission shifted erratically for the remainder of the trip to charleston sc. We had the trans valve body changed about 5000 miles earlier due to erratic shifting. The car has 99,000 miles and is a good car except for transmission issues. I hope our warranty is honored.

GM needs to consider this issue carefully and resolve this problem...
    Good morning buistdavis,

Keep us posted on your interactions with your dealership. If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us the following information at socialmediagm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • kanselmentkanselment Member Posts: 1
    I am SO disappointed in my 2008 Enclave. My husband and I saved up our money to be able to buy me a NICE vehicle to transport our kids in (I work as well, but I am the one handling drop-offs and pick-ups). We bought the car 1 year old with about 30k miles on it from a GM dealer. I wish I'd never driven it off the lot. I have three kids 6 and under which means 3 in car seats. It is not a simple thing to just do without our vehicle (loaners often can't accomdate 3 carseats) when its in the shop and honestly - when it NOT in the shop? I've had EVERY issue that the '08 seems to be known for except for the leaky sunroof since mine doesn't have one. I've had to replace the steering column, water pump, rack and pinion, sway bar links, had it in 3-4 other times for steering issues, airbag sensors randomly go off, trim started coming off (exterior vinyl trim) and I park in an attached garage every night(!), I complained once or twice that occasionally when I was sitting at a stoplight on an incline my car would "shudder" like it was going to die. They could never find anything on that. Well, I don't know if that was related but yesterday my husband and three girls and I were on our way home from my in-laws which is a 2 hour 45 minute drive to our house. halfway home the car started revving/shifting randomly on the interstate. My husband would be unable to accelerate temporarlily much the joy of the other millions on the interestate the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We weren't sure what to do since it was cold and we had three small children with us so we kept trucking. Miraculously we made it back to our city but when we got off the interestate - the first stoplight we came to we were unable to go anywhere on green. Not forward, not backward..nothing. Husband had to turn car off (others behind us honking as, again, this is the busiest travel day of the year) and then restart. On restart he gunned it and we made it through the light. But at the next light, even though we tried to coast - he finally needed to accelate through the intersection and when he did lightly push the gas the whole car sounded like metal ripping. The car shut-down. We had to coast into a church parking lot and call a friend (had to find a friend who could safely/legally transport an additional 2 adults and 3 kids in carseats). We had to have the car towed to a dealer. We are now told it needs $4200 in repairs and of course ALL warranties have run out even though I have only ~72k miles on it. This car is a total lemon. I cry when I think about how much money we are putting into this piece of junk. I drive a ticking time bomb and I drive my 3 small children (soon to be 4!) in it knowing this every day. I actually feel like a bad parent driving my kids around in this "luxury" vehicle! I just hope nothing ever happens to my kids due to this car's issues. My husband is an attorney but no litigation can fix my kids if they get hurt due to these issues that continue to be treated as "flukes." Unfortunately - we're about $35k into this vehicle so we aren't in a position to just walk away - especially with another baby on the way.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Our apologies that you have had so many troubles with your Enclave, kanselment. Have you already been in touch with Customer Assistance? If you would like for us to check into this further with you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a brief recap of the situation at hand).

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • drj12drj12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently test drove two separate 2013 Enclaves. During both test drives there was an intermittent "jerking" sensation as if it was catching in a gear. This happened at low rpm. At times when coasting then just lightly touching the gas peddle and even an episode while braking. This was very unsettling to all the passengers in the car including the salesperson. We asked the mechanic and he said this is normal and has to do with a new fuel economy device. Has anyone else experienced this. This may very well be a deal breaker in an otherwise solid vehicle. :cry:
  • mktkmktk Member Posts: 2
    My wife, son, and I took delivery Friday evening of our new 2013 Enclave special ordered from the factory. After a very brief overview of the car by one of the salesman at the dealership, he only had cursory knowedge of Intellilink and how to set things up so it was not much of an overview, we went to have dinner at a restaurant a few yards from the dealership to celebrate. After dinner, we drove to our house which is only a mile and a half away. Easy right?

We got home, but not without fear for our lives. At the first stop sign, the car lurched forward and stalled out as soon as my wife hit the brakes. We thought we did something wrong. We were driving a brand new car. She put the car into park and restarted the engine. Everything appeared to be okay. However, the same thing occured the next time she hit the brakes and again and again. Luckily we did not get rearended and even more fortunate, we did not need to go on the highway to get home!

Once in my driveway, I was able to get the car to stall /lurch forward every time I touched the brakes. I did this about a dozen times to confirm the problem.

Saturday morning, I had the dealer pick up the car. The mechanic at the dealership was able to quickly duplicate the problem but the systems did not report any errors. On Monday, with GM's help, the service manager identified the TCM (transmission control module) as the culprit and recommended replacing the TCM and Upper Valve Body.

I freely admit that my knowledge of cars is basic at best. My question to the community is simply "is this car safe to drive, even after the repair?" According to the dealer, GM does not provide root cause analysis of failed parts. I am not casting blame, just trying to assure ourselves that the repaired car will be safe. Should we request a replacement car? Will that car be safe?

Note, not sure if this is relevant, but the dealer had the car idling for about an hour and half before we picked it up reportedly to keep it warm for us before we arrived. Could this have caused the problem? Suspiciously, I am wondering if the dealer was hoping this would eliminate the problem they observed but I have no basis for thinking this.

Any/all advice is welcome.
    We're sorry to hear about this situation with your brand new Enclave, mktk!

If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your involved dealership, and a brief recap of the situation).

• mktkmktk Member Posts: 2
    By way of an update, I picked up my repaired car from the dealer yesterday. The "stall when braking" problem seems to be resolved!
    The cause was determined to be a binding valve in the valve body. The dealer removed TMC and found that the S5 and S3 solenoids were leaking. They removed the valve body and found TCC valve 330 hanging up. Based on advice from GM, the dealer replaced the valve body and TCM(replaced 4844 WBG, 24264346 F-valve, 24263009 F-Plate, 24264345 F-Body, and 24263010 F-Plate), added six quarts of transmission fluid, and reprogrammed the TCM. To the credit of the dealer, they road tested the car for about 100 miles to ensure everything was okay.

Cautiously I am driving it around town/not the highway for the weekend to confirm the fix. As of this writing everything is okay and we are, one week delayed, enjoying our new Enclave.

Note: I cannot seem to find out exactly what changed in the transmission hardware/software in the 2013. Hopefully, there are no more bugs to work out.
    Glad to hear that the repairs are holding up okay, mktk! Again, if you should like for us to check into anything for you, we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com.

• pinnacle49pinnacle49 Member Posts: 4
    Buick 2010 Enclave. 29,000 miles. Situation: using cruise control in hilly country or mountains.
    Problem: When cresting hill and then going downhill, engine stays at 3800-4000 rpm even though vehicle is rolling downhill and needs no power. When I hit brakes to take it off cruise control, nothing happens. Then, when I step on gas pedal and let up, rpm drops back to 1800 rpm (a reasonable rpm when no power is needed). Clearly at 4000 rpm engine is not engaged to transmission, as I do not gain speed. But rpm need to crest hill holds until I step on gas and let up. Any help or confirmation of similar situation would be appreciated.
    pinnacle49,
    Have you had this evaluated by your dealership? If so, what did they find?
    We certainly understand if isn't something you've done already and are just trying to get a feel for where the situation is at.

Called GM service before my post. The service rep had not heard of this yet and was going to check with techs and call me back. Have not heard back but I am thinking of taking in for service -- but am concerned that if they have no track record -- what is my likely outcome?
    Good morning pinnacle49,

Does this revving of the RPMs happen consistently? If not, there's always a risk of them not being able to duplicate your concern - I would certainly advise that you have a tech drive with you if you're not certain this will happen every time or that they will not notice it.

Given the model year of your Enclave and the mileage, you are likely still within your bumper to bumper warranty. However, if you have questions about warranty coverage that are unanswered, we can check into that. Send your request and the last 8 digits of your VIN to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (we will be able to tie your email to any open Service Requests you had started when you called into the Customer Assistance Center).

I have an appt for Monday. However, mountains are an hour away, so don't know how we will duplicate the hills, etc. Hopefully they can figure something out. Thanks for the response.
    Keep us posted, pinnacle49! Hope the appointment goes well.

• lambygirllambygirl Member Posts: 1
    I know nothing about cars but am going to try to explain my issue. When accelerating on freeway (like trying to go from 55 to 60/65+, the RPM needle stays below 2 and the car seems to "hang up" until I floor the accelerator to get it up to the desired speed. I have taken it to the dealer 2x, they claim they can't duplicate it so I leave with it unresolved. If I have to accelerate in a hurry to adjust to traffic conditions, it seems like it just won't get moving quick enough, which is pretty nerve-wracking. Is this how it is supposed to be in this size car? Also, have been reading these blogs and on other sites and I too have that issue of the car rolling backward while on an incline unless the brake pedal is jammed to the floor. When it is time to move forward, it rolls back and you need to make an extremely quick switch between the brake and accelerator. Embarrassing when you end up burning rubber on a hill!
  • derek30derek30 Member Posts: 5
    I have a Buick Enclave that the transmission died. I have under 100k miles on it. The warranty was good through 100,497 miles and expired just a few months ago. Dealship is saying they called GM and since it is a few months expired it is not covered. Has anyone delt with a situation like this? Any advice would be great since this is a big ticket repair.

Thanks,
    Derek
    Finally took car back into mountains in Utah. Had vehicle in cruise control. After hill crest car began descent (in cruise control) and rpm stayed at 4000 all the way to the bottom. Had to hit brake to take vehicle off cruise control in order to get rpm back to 1900-2000 where it would normally run at my speed. Not sure what to do next since dealer had no answer.
  • derek30derek30 Member Posts: 5
    I recently posted that our Buick Enclave 08 transmissiion died andPower Steering pump failed. Warranty is under the miles but over on time. Dealer called GM and the offer was to cover a small portion of the $5652 cost of repair.

Service said I may want to talk to sales to see what the trade in would be and weigh out options. I called and was told that my car would be either scrapped or wholesaled out. This blew me away since I have a friend that does transmission repairs in another city that works for dealerships rebuilding transmissions and then they resell them.

Any advice of what to do?

Thanks,
    Derek
  • smokeboxsmokebox Member Posts: 1
    I am the proverbial travelling salesman. I have 105,000 miles on my 2008 Enclave. 85% are highway miles. The car is maintained meticulously. I cannot be without a car. The transmission was serviced every 40,000 miles. I have never had a problem. I was driving along and the car bucked twice and no transmission. It was towed to the transmission place and it will cost me 5500.00 for a new transmission. I bought the car because of its looks and size. I have had many cars with 200,000 miles and not one has lost its transmission. There are many manufacturers out there with good cars and GM has just lost me as a a customer.
  • jsmhjsmh Member Posts: 1
    Please cannot afford $4000.00+ for trans ..please help
  • trollotrollo Member Posts: 1
    Transmission didn't work last Sunday 250 miles from home. Had to spend another night in hotel to get to the dealer on Monday. My Enclave has almost 70K miles on it. Dealer says it is covered under powertrain warranty, but would take a couple of days to fix. Gave me a loaner, and I drove home (with my 12 year old twin girls).
    Picked the car up on Friday, seemed to be fixed. Headed for home, got about 100 miles and car started slipping in and out of gear. Then started getting the message, "transmission hot, idle engine.
    We pulled over let car idle and message went away. Started going again, made it about 10 miles before same message. Did the same thing, and made it another 15 miles... kept doing this all the way home. Made it to my dealer and dropped the car off about 2:00 a.m.
    Dealer called this morning and said that trans would not go into forward gear now (would not go in reverse last night). Gave me another loaner, and will call me on Monday.
    Hi trollo,

We're sorry to hear that your vehicle is being repaired for the transmission. The good thing is that this will be covered under your warranty and you won't have to come out of pocket. We hope everything goes smoothly with your repair. Please keep us updated on this process.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mprost1mprost1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just read your thread on your problems with Enclave. We, too, have had the same problems when using cruise control in the mountains. We took it into the dealership and they are "unable to replicate it" and even asked my husband if he accidentally manually shifted which he did not. My husband believes this is extremely dangerous as the only way to get the car down from 5000 rpms to 2000 was to put car in neutral as the pressing the breaks didnt help. I have also noticed that the car's rpms jerk when the car is traveling between 45-50 mph even though the gas is being pressed or released. What did your dealer say? We are scared to take the car into the mountains again until this is fixed.
  • rjconsumerrjconsumer Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave that I purchased in September of 2008, it has roughly 50,500 miles on it. This past weekend when driving out of town, the car began having issues switching gears at high speeds. It was happening more frequently the closer we got to our destination. When we arrived at our hotel my husband, suspecting a transmission issue, checked the transmission fluid. There was plenty of fluid, clearly a bright pink in color; however, there were metallic shavings in it.

We had to have the car towed to the closest dealership because after stopping the transmission would no longer go into reverse and we couldn’t get out of the parking spot. The dealership told us when they looked up our car in the GM database, it was out of warranty! That our car had gone into service in June of 2008!

We got a rental car and said we’d fax them our paperwork denoting the mileage at purchase and the purchase date. We did this and the dealership contacted GM on our behalf.
    GM’s response? That we purchased a USED car and that they did not need to honor our purchase date!

The dealership when we purchased the vehicle, told us that the warranty would be good through 40,438 (438 is the number of miles on the car when we purchased it) or 100,438 (for the power train warranty) or 60 months, whichever comes first. So at this point we have reached neither date nor mileage according to our purchase documents and the agreements we signed. Does an agreement that GM has with the dealership from June supersede our agreement with the Dealership? Do we need to have our warranty repair work done at the dealership we purchased it from?

Either way this feels like a very shady way to get out of fixing something that should last for 100,000 miles or more. Very shady GM, very shady!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I'd be more upset with your dealer, than GM..

They sold you a car that had already been reported as sold, and the warranty clock was ticking, yet never disclosed that to you.

Seems like a small thing, until now... I'd suggest to them in a kindly way, that they've perpetrated a fraud on you, and you expect them to stand up and make it right.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hello rjconsumer,

I'm very sorry that you've experienced this, and it seems like there's been a lack of communication throughout this process. I'd love the opportunity to take a second look at your case and clarify any additional details. If you are interested can you please email me your name, VIN, contact info, and dealership? I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mprost1mprost1 Member Posts: 2
    While researching our own engine shifting problem, I've come across many different scenarios all with the same outcome of engines not shifting out of proper gears. If the dealers cannot replicate it because they can't take the car on long road trips or down winding hills then the only recourse is for all of us to file a complaint with the NHTSA or safercar.gov. Personally, I feel like this is an extremely dangerous situation as even hitting the brakes on our car failed to take the engine out of high rpm. The only thing that worked was shifting to neutral. After reading your story of the engine not going into reverse what happens if neutral doesn't work either? I'd hate to find out going 75 mph.
  • nanax4nanax4 Member Posts: 1
    Probably sound like a broken record, but on my way home from work Thursday and on my way out of town for the birth of my grandson, my 2008 Enclave with just under 73K miles, RPM's started revving up super high when it needed to switch gears, then would finally slam into gear jerking the whole car. I was on a major interstate and terrified to say the least. I had complained to my dealer twice before that there was something wrong with the car when it shifts, but was pretty much blow-off both times so now here i am with a very expensive car sitting in my driveway waiting to be towed to the same dealer that blew me off when it was under warranty....how on earth can GM ignore so many complaints and issues with this car???If I have to replace the transmission, I really don't know where the money will come from...
  • mtbase007mtbase007 Member Posts: 1
    I echo your comments. Same scenario here: 105,000 miles on a 2008 Enclave purchased new off the showroom floor; problems have included leaking sunroof (multiple service visits), steering issues where main front-end support assembly mounting bolts loosened and needed realignment and re-torqueing (with no valid explanation as to why this happened- this also required multiple service visits), and today the transmission fails! Now waiting on a "GM Certified" transmission to arrive at dealership.

When I inquired about the "GM Certified" vs. "New in Crate" transmission, I was told that the only option is a remanufactured transmission (GM Certified) and is warranted for 36months/100,000miles; a "New" transmission is not available but if it was available, it would only carry a warranty of 12 months/10,000 mile warranty because it would be classified as a new part. And, it would cost more than the certified unit. Does this make sense?

It is quite obvious that GM has a serious problem and long-term customers like me (8 new GM vehicles in the past 25 years) are very dissatisfied and for good reason. As a loyal GM customer, this is the proverbial end-of-the-road for me and GM.
    Hi nanax4

I am so sorry to hear that you have had this experience with your Enclave. Have you spoken with a Customer care Agent yet? If not I would like to assist you. If you are interested ion my assistance could you please send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com and include a brief description of the problem and your VIN and current mileage. I will do whatever I can to assist you. I look forward to hearing from you. Congrats on the new grandson.

Jakie
    GM Customer Care
  • maxnmedmaxnmed Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 Enclave new, and I love it, but I do NOT like the dealerships. They are dishonest to say the least.
    I've had the same problem with the RPMs shooting up while stopped at a light, but dealership says they can't duplicate, so it's my problem.
    Had two Schrader valves replaced for my AC, and they charged me $500! Should not have cost more than $200.
    Now my rack and pinion steering is making noises AGAIN. It's been replaced twice (so they say), but this time they want $1200 from me because my extended warranty had expired 10 days before - outrageous! There's more, but I don't want to belabor this message.
    Now that I'm reading these blogs, I am absolutely ready to get rid of this vehicle - love the vehicle, but I will NEVER buy another GM product.