Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009/2010 Honda Fit

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Thanks . Any word yet on which colors will be available with which trims, or what the interior colors will be?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    GE8729EW 2009 FIT 5DR 5MT KA
    GE8749EW 2009 FIT 5DR SPORT 5MT KA
    GE8769GW 2009 FIT 5DR SPORT VSA&NAV 5MT KA
    GE8829EW 2009 FIT 5DR 5AT KA
    GE8849EW 2009 FIT 5DR SPORT 5AT KA
    GE8869GW 2009 FIT 5DR SPORT VSA&NAV 5AT KA

Sport

CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/BLACK
    BLUE SENSATION/BLACK
    TIDEWATER BLUE METALLIC/BLACK
    ORANGE REVOLUTION/BLACK
    BLACKBERRY PEARL/BLACK
    MILANO RED/BLACK
    STORM SILVER METALLIC/BLACK
    TAFFETA WHITE/BLACK

Base
    CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL/GRAY
    BLUE SENSATION/GRAY
    TIDEWATER BLUE METALLIC/GRAY
    MILANO RED/GRAY
    STORM SILVER METALLIC/GRAY
    TAFFETA WHITE/GRAY

The colors again but with more detail. In order to have VSA you must get the navi which should have been standard. 2010 will get VSA stanadard. NAVI is only on the fit sport. This also answers backy's question on the interior trims.
    Thanks. This is a huge, HUGE disappointment for me. I really wanted a base Fit with VSC. And I can't wait until 2010 to buy my next car. Looks like I go back to the Elantra Touring (or maybe the SE) as my #1 choice, since it has standard ESC (also a telescopic steering wheel AND driver's seat height adjuster).
  • salemfitsalemfit Member Posts: 5
    I'm purchasing the 09 Sport with AT. Would you help me out with deciding the importance of getting Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA). From Backy's informaton it looks like this is bundled with the Navigation system. I'd rather add my own Navi system - would like it to be portable.

Cost is always a factor. But since I don't know the cost for the VSA+Navi option, this choice is hard to make right now. Are the merits of VSA that great over a Sport without it? Would you rather give it up so you are not paying for the Navi system as well?
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    The cost is a big issue for everyone, and when it has to be bundled with the navi, the VSA option is a very expensive option indeed.

The safety merit of the VSA or ESC or whatever people call it is virtually indisputable. That is why in many countries the stability control system is now mandatory, and will be so in the U.S. by 2012.

But for a car in this price bracket, the cost of the navi + VSA is not negligible, either. There is no question that all trim levels of the new Fit will ultimately come with VSA, with or without Navi due to the legal mandate. The question that remains is that of how soon. Would Honda wait until the 2012 model year to make VSA available on the Fit without Navi because they have to, or would they make VSA available as a stand-alone option, or for that matter, a standard equipment piece, sooner? No one knows, and that makes it a tough call for anyone who is thinking about pulling the trigger on the next-gen Fit soon after its introduction.
  • andysdandysd Member Posts: 87
    This is the forum for me, lots of enthusiasm for the 2009 Fit. As to its appearance, a comparison might be between the current CR-V and the previous model.

I plan to buy a base 5MT not so much for cost savings or fuel economy (although I wouldn't be planning this step if it were an expensive gas guzzler), but because it appeals to me as a small fun-to-drive sporty car - taking into account that it did so well in the Car & Driver lane change test (beating Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette). Its power-to-weight ratio is not shabby.

I'll install 17" Kosei racing wheels with 215 Kumho sport tires left over from the 2004 Civic that preceded our 2007 SE Accord. And I'll get a somewhat louder exhaust. Forgive me, that's my youth talking (84 in January).

Red or silver?
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I live in China and I see that sales of new Fit have started

http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-news/6937/Guangzhou-Honda-launches-new-Fit-in-China.h- tml

I plan to go to our Honda dealer to check how it looks like
  • secondhandwolfsecondhandwolf Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what the base price will be for the Sport model of the Fit?
    Also, will the MPG go down more than a couple of points?

Many thanks. :
    I went to my dealer today.

Fit sales started yesterday in fact, and employees were cleaning a bright yellow fit they just received. I could sit in it.

It was a 1.5L with a manual trans.

Overall feeling is good, with a fit and finish close to the outgoing generation.

The new body shape gives a feeling of a cab forward design. This is OK but the front lights really look a bit too big / over the top. The front pillar shape is different and it looks like front visibililty has been improved.
    Inside, the color set is very much alike with a combination of black and grey.

The dash design looks a bit complicated imho, but now the integrated CD-Radio set supports MP3 at last with an audio in jack. Climate control is still manual and one must pay an extra 2000 USD to go to the sports edition to get automatic climate control.

Seating position is somewhat different from the previous. it looks like the steering wheel is in a lower position. I found this a bit more relaxing than mine. it is also adjustable in reach on top of height.

This time, i have a feeling that my head is quite close to the headliner if set the seat in the highest position (China models come with height adjustable seats)
    maybe the overall seating position is higher, which gives me the impression that the steering wheel is lower.

There is still the mandatory power roof that eats-up some headroom. Not a real issue as I am not tall (5.9) but I just don't need this function and I think it adds unn

Rear leg space look light as tight as the previous generation. I would have expected a 3-inch increase in length to have added at least 1.5 inch but It does not feel this way. Rear seet keep their intelligent folding scheme with two interesting improvements :
    1) rear headrest are now collapsible into the bench body, so no need to remove them when folding the bench down and possibility to increase rear sight area.
    2) rear bench has 2 angle settings. the most reclined one compromises cargo capacity a bit but improves rear seat comfort a lot.

Rear doors come with accomodation for a large cup or a small bottle.

The grey cloth used for the seats seems easy to stain. there was already one appearing. Seats have been redesigned and seem to have a better side cushion shape.

Boot seems to be of same capacity than before. Now model come with a cargo cover.

Tires are still the 15X175 as the outgoing model. This is a good think they don't force us to oversize.

The big down is with the transmission, where the previous CVT is now replaced by a 5 spd conventional box. I fear that this setup may compromise performance or fuel economy or either both.

So far, the impression is ok but not overwhelming. I guess a test ride would give much more answers.
    Did it have a spare tire? That has been an item of speculation for the US market. :confuse:
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    you know you didn't need to remove the headrests to fold down the seats in the current version right? Speaking of the US here, but you slide the front seat forward, fold the back seat down (forward), and the front seats slide back OVER the headrest.
    >Did it have a spare tire?

Yes it did. a full sized one.
    >you know you didn't need to remove the headrests to fold down the seats in the current version right?

If I don't remove the headrests, I just can't fold the back seats, even if the front seat is all the way ahead. The Chinese Fit must have different design than the US version
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    "Not a real issue as I am not tall (5.9) "

That's tall even for an American woman! I don't think the US version will get the moon roof.

Was the steering wheel adjustable?

And finally, when you say boot do you mean trunk?

Lastly, thanks for all of your info regarding the '09 Fit.
    > Was the steering wheel adjustable?

Yes and I mentioned that they added reach adjustment whereas the old one was only adjustable in height. it does improve seating position indeed.

>And finally, when you say boot do you mean trunk?

Yes, When I learned English at school, I was told that the word was the boot. maybe it is British English.

> Lastly, thanks for all of your info regarding the '09 Fit.

My pleasure. We plan to go to the Honda dealer today to get a purchasing price for our 2006 Fit. We expect around 11500 USD. If you have some other questions about the Fit, I could check
    Went to the dealer today

There was a nice cobalt blue fit standing in the show-room. The show room was really crowded and it seems there was a lot of buzz around the new fit.

The dealer quoted me about 10500 USD for my Fit, which was a bit disappointing but not surprising as he told me they offered up to 3000 USD cash rebate on older Fit to clear stocks for the new one.

Although I don't have plans to buy a 09 Fit, I indulged myself a test drive of a Sport version, the highest spec sold in China for about USD 20K.

This version comes with 15 X 185 wheels instead of the 14X 175 ones and has an automatic climate control. there are pads in the steering wheel to shift gears in Manual mode. It is a slushbox.

It was a short test in an urban environment, so I can't tell a lot, but it looks like rolling noise it a bit better control, and the suspension a tad more compliant but still pretty firm in comparison with mine. Handling is on par with current version. Climate control is working well. front visitbility is a bit improved with thinner A pillar.

I tried to push the engine a little bit without scaring the sales rep. I can't hide that I was a bit disappointed by the powertrain, as speed pick-up seems not as smooth as with the CVT of my Fit. This is more visible I push the pedal harder, but in light load or economical driving, there should not be much difference.
    As the torque value is identical to the outgoing version, I think the 10 more Kw will not translate in much more performance, unless pushing the engine into the red zone.

Frankly, I would not loose 50K RMB = 7K+ USD for an upgrade. I don't see a radical improvement over the outgoing model and I dare say that a simple model update with its few problems addressed would have been enough. The Older fit is still strong.
    For those having a good rebate on an older model, I would recommand to consider this offer with care.

I forgot to mention that Fuel economy figures are nearly identical between the 1.3 and 1.5 engine. I don't know where is the 20% difference quoted by some other sources, but I strongly believe this is unlikely.
  • mainemanxmainemanx Member Posts: 70
    vchiu: Thank you for all your information on the Chinese Fit. As an International Economics prof, it's all very interesting!

As for English vs. American:
    Boot = Trunk
    Bonnet = Hood
    Drophead = Convertible
    Wing = Fender, etc.

P.S. We are told, "There are more people learning English in China than speak English in the rest of the world." No doubt vchiu is one of Hainan's best English teachers!
    Today I did what more of you folks are probably doing - putting a deposit down on a 09 FIT. Milano Red AT Sport. Dealer in Oregon said that the it will be built on August 20th and should be ready for pickup mid-September. Passed on the VSA+Navi option - will get my own portable Navi. Wish I could have gotten VSA. But, Yes, I'm pumped.
    :blush:
  • iwant1tooiwant1too Member Posts: 32
    Is the deposit normally refundable if you don't like the car when it arrives?
    Yes, it is refundable. That seems to be the normal practice. You can get the refund if you don't agree to the price - which could cover anything you don't like about the vehicle.
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    Does anyone know if these two features will be a part of the mix? Long legs, here.
    If you don't mind me asking, what did they require for a deposit? One of my local dealers wants $1000, and they said they won't be taking any deposits for a few more weeks.
  • bobbyraykbobbyrayk Member Posts: 1
    I put down a deposit [$300] on one of there pre order 09 fits. Black sports AT. It has a TPD for Aug 22. I was told it would be here the first week in Oct.
  • andysdandysd Member Posts: 87
    Perhaps a question for our moderator, the 5-year cost table for the Fit, the True Cost to Own Rating, says it's extremely high, the absolute maximum, in depreciation and operating cost.

I don't believe that!
    The Fit that was shown at the New York (?) auto show last spring, and aimed for the U.S. market, had a telescoping steering column but not a height adjuster.
  • retire36retire36 Member Posts: 6
    I just looked at that info. I am shocked to say the least. I have a 09 on order. I think I had better do some more research!
  • futurefitfuturefit Member Posts: 17
    Last week I gave a $100. deposit to be on an '09 waiting list. Fully refundable if I don't want the car for any reason.
    My local NY dealer said they would be getting quite a few in. And would not push or include any unwanted add ons.
    He wrote down what I wanted,( Red base auto) and said he would keep me informed as to when they were being shipped, the pricing and would send any brochures when they got them.

He said they just put in an order for their last 2008 model. And Honda would start building the '09's in August.
  • kittyworldkittyworld Member Posts: 20
    I checked cars.com's cost of ownership for the Fit and it's not high at all - considered an excellent (5-star) value. Depreciating cost is similar to that of the Civic.

BTW, I noticed that Honda's insurance cost is higher's toyota's. For example, my camry was cheaper to insure than the Civic, for the exact same policy terms. Does anyone know why is that? Is Honda's less safe? I thought the Civic is cheaper so should be less costly to insure, but I was wrong.
    X2- No seat height adj., but telescoping wheel.
    Civic is a smaller car than Camry, also probably has a younger demographic of owners, hence it probably has higher loss numbers than Camry, leading to higher insurance rates.

And lately, the Civic isn't all that much cheaper than the Camry. ;)
    I missed it... how do we know the U.S. version has no seat height adjustment? Could it be that it's not an option, but is standard on all models.

Vchiu said it's available on the Chinese version. I can't imagine they "need" it more than we do in the States. My wife tried one in Japan and recalls that it did have the seat height adjustment. (She's 5' 1" and I'm 6' 1")

On the other hand, as with many other Japanese exports, maybe we here in the States are getting the less expensive, dumbed-down version with fewer embellishments.
    1) The Fit shown in the U.S. this spring was supposedly the U.S. spec version. It didn't have a height adjuster. If it were standard, we would have seen it, or some mention would have been made of it since it's an oft-requested feature.

2) The current Fit offers a height-adjustable driver's seat outside the U.S. But not here. Hey, it worked for Honda before, why not again? :P
    >The current Fit offers a height-adjustable driver's seat outside the U.S. But not here. Hey, it worked for Honda before, why not again?

This is crazy. Developing those different versions cost money. Why don't they rationalize and simplify the number of versions ? It can't be a mistake to offer height adjustable seat and wheel in any country can it ?

Is it a penny-pinching move ? This seems really gross to me.

If they really wanted to do some more engineering, why don't they offer a turbocharged version of their 1.5 ? a 150 HP Fit with a lot of torque would be very sweet.
    Honda may be thinking more demand than supply. While it probably doesn't cost much more for a height adjustable seat, it offers Honda another opportunity to differentiate their various versions and charging more.

As for a 150 HP turbocharged version, whoa! Most people are currently looking for more MPG, not BHP :-) A low numeric final drive ratio, low rpm, super high mileage, highway cruiser would have more appeal than another pocket rocket.

Needless to say, a hybrid Fit would be a colossal hit here in the States.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That's what I was thinking... a sort of Fit VX, like the Civic VX of the 1990s. 105hp, 2000rpm at 60 MPH in 5th, 30/41 mpg. Sounds fatastic. If only we had an "Easy" button for that one!
  • rk1992rk1992 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like stability control is standard in the US. A new page is up on the Honda site for the 2009 Fit. It lists things like navigation and paddle shifters are "Available" but under safety it just lists Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) as one of the safety features.
    Yay! VSA standard will be great. I really want this feature but don't want the nav and don't care about paddle shifters (don't know how to shift, period). I will get this baby the moment it comes out. I think Honda is doing the right thing for not making any safety features optional. I will get the sports, and use my own Garmin 880 (nav with bluetooth and voice control) instead. Oh I am so excited! Wish they can come out NOW!!!
    While I'd love to see VSA standard on the Fit, I doubt it will happen for 2009. I think there would have been a press release from Honda about that important safety feature being standard on the Fit. Here's what Honda said about the Fit last March (emphasis added by me):

The 2009 Fit adds Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure technology, available Vehicle Stability Assist ™ (VSA®) and active head restraints, to a top-of-class list of standard safety features.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4444

I hope if Honda changed its mind about VSA, they have tossed in a seat height adjuster too. :)
  • rk1992rk1992 Member Posts: 3
    Backy,
    Checkout the Honda site at this link. It does not say Available next VSC.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/2009-fit/
    Yes, I saw the page already. It doesn't say "standard", either. So I'll hold off getting excited (again) until I see the official word from Honda that VSA is standard on the Fit. Since 2009 Fits are within a few weeks of being at dealers, we should have some official announcements about features and pricing very soon.

P.S. Web pages have been known to have errors before.
    I not too sure about "active head restraints." I already get slapped around a lot :sick:
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Isn't there a governmental mandate to have stability control in all cars sold in the US ? If I recall correctly, the mandate is supposed to kick in from 2010 or so.

If so, then Honda may be putting in the feature, even before it is required for compliance.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    For example, my camry was cheaper to insure than the Civic, for the exact same policy terms. Does anyone know why is that? Is Honda's less safe? I thought the Civic is cheaper so should be less costly to insure, but I was wrong.

Maybe the Civic is typically purchased by a younger demographic (when compared to the Camry), thus leading to more "incidents", which in turn push the Insurance rates up ?
    Maybe the Civic is typically purchased by a younger demographic (when compared to the Camry), thus leading to more "incidents", which in turn push the Insurance rates up ?

Well, I think the age difference should be taken into account based on the DRIVER's age, not the average age of the car's driver. When I said my camry rate is lower than the Civic, I mean MY insurance rates for both cars, not the average rate of all drivers (although the average rate also happens to be lower). I had the Civic first and it was wrecked. I leased a Camry the next day, and was surprised to learn that the Camry insurance rate was lower even though the car was more expensive. The insurance was from the same company, with the same terms. Basically I asked the agent to transfer all the old policy into the new car, and the rate did not go up until the next renew time (due to the accident). Also, I noticed that my Honda dealer charged more for maintenance work. I will still buy a Fit though, because it is an overall winner and fits my needs perfectly.
    >Most people are currently looking for more MPG, not BHP A low numeric final drive ratio, low rpm, super high mileage, highway cruiser would have more appeal than another pocket rocket.

I am looking for more torque
    Actually, VW produced an interesting breed of 1.4 liter supercharged engines with 120 / 140 / 170 HP. Thanks to direct injection and technological advances, they are very fuel efficient, but offer the comfort of low end torque and relax cruising. mated to a 7-speed DSG, they make a very sweet powertrain.

The new Fit engine is just increasing its high rev abilities. not something that is going to help relax highway motoring nor fuel efficiency.
    I'm kind of with backy here. It used to say available VSA, now it is just listed under safety equipment, sort of vague.
    echo echo echo echo echo echo....

:)
    2012. So Honda gets a head start by making VSA available on all of its models in the U.S. for 2009, so it will be easy for them to meet the federal mandate come 2012.

Now, if they would just go one step further, ala VW, and make ESC standard on all 2009 models, that would be really great.
    Agreed. I would like to see the Fit have the seat height adjuster and VSC as standard equipment. That would make it an even sweeter package.
    With all the required equipment, pretty soon cars are gonna' be so heavy it will be impossible to get decent mileage, much less be affordable.

Maybe we need two classes of vehicles... today's everything-mandated versions and an alternative, less than say 1500 lbs, max 55 mph, high-mileage, minimally regulated, four wheel, four passenger Segways!
This discussion has been closed.