Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 - 2010 Nissan Murano

Comments

• reddevil4reddevil4 Member Posts: 17
    I have the SL AWD model and so far so good. I have 7,800 miles on it and so far I haven't had any vibrations. I have heard other LE models have had problems with vibrations and only the LE models have 20 inch wheels. The SL models have 18 inch wheels.
    At leased you are covered under warranty, (good luck)
  • scion111scion111 Member Posts: 16
    I'm still having the problem. You can feel a slight, annoying shake in the seat of your pants and steering wheel. If I hold the steering wheel lightly, I can even see my thumbs slightly shaking at various speeds - mostly around 70-80 on dead flat highway. My dealer said he checked the tires/rims but I'm having a Nissan rep come out and drive the car with me. I definitley think it's either a balance issue or maybe tires - mine has Toyo 20" Proxes. What do you have?
  • strasseriderstrasserider Member Posts: 3
    Anbody notice.......................

While checking out a S model today I was looking at the joint of the door (where the hinge connects to the body) below the last hinge there is a upward folded piece of sheet metal that separates the front fender well and the door/passenger compartment. I noticed a grey foam like material above that and sure enough it is styrofoam filler. I looked further and on both sides; more styrofoam WTH?

I hope that does not become a fungus issue when it gets wet. Is it better than foam or fiber fill like in Volvo? :confuse:
    I guess your question is a good one to ask the service department at your dealership. If fungus starts in that area maybe someday there would be a recall to cover the filler. As for now I guess it is a good insullation and soundproffing for road noise. And as far as safety the Murano and Rogue models carry a high safety rating.
  • azuraazura Member Posts: 1
    Are there any issues with warranty? I am looking at a 2009 with 6000 miles at an auction. Nissan Canada says I need to prove the unit was purchase and registered in US for at least 6 months before I purchased it.
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I am about to get a 09 Murano but I am very concerned about its safety. While the insurance institute of highway safty give it a top pick. The national highway traffic safety admin. only rates it four stars for both driver and frount passenger. this is not very good for a new car in that class. The Rogue has 5 stars for driver and 4 for frount passenger.
  • onarumonarum Member Posts: 7
    Just a note to say thanks for the info everyone. I just received my Murano LE today. I'm an SUV person so not sure about CUV. I just said goodbye to Jeep Grand Cherokee. I feel as if I have just embraced Suburbia. However, I loved my 2002 Altima, so I do enjoy Nissan ownership. Sorry about the verbal ramble but my point is just to say thanks to the posters and I will be reading and posting any issues or praises that come up. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Congadulations on your new Nissan Murano LE and welcome to the Murano Log On Board.
    Thank you. I played with the Setup tonight. Bluetooth, XM, and plugged in the ipod. Long way from self installed under the dash 8 track tape.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    After reading the how most owners are happy with their Murano's on these web pages I went out and bought a used 2009 s awd today. I was surprised how nice it handled and how smooth the cvt was. Thanks everyone for the info
    Welcome to the 2009 Murano Club. The wife and I have had our2009 Murano SL AWD since April of this year. We bought it new and love driving it, and we really appreciate the navagation system because we are retired and traveling is a breeze with the navagation system. Also being older we enjoy the XM radio system so we can listen to the fifties channel. Good Luck with Yours.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    My wife and I also love our murano sl awd. Both retired teachers and really like the trial xm radio. Did you get a good deal to subscribe or just go with the discounts offered by going 2-3 years? Oh yeah, try the 70's channel --- you'll both feel younger.
  • murphy16murphy16 Member Posts: 4
    I just got my ’09 Murano a month ago. It’s also an SL AWD. In fact, this is my third Murano SL I’ve leased since it first came out. I love the style, handling, performance and gadgetry. We’ve been used to its CVT tranny, However, since we picked my “09 from the dealer, me and my husband have noticed something unusual about its tranny.

First of all, the ’09 shifter is differently gated than the previous models which gave you more precise shifting. Just having to shift to (D) Drive from either Park, Reverse or Neutral is quite tricky. Frequently, we tend to accidentally shift to the lowest gear. Sometimes, we’d traveled several meters before noticing it’s on the wrong gear. In our opinion, the previous models had a worry-free gear selecting design that Nisan should have retained.

Secondly, whenever we shift from Neutral to Drive, there seems to be a noticeable delay. It feels like a couple of seconds before there is engagement. The previous Muranos we’ve owned had almost instantaneous gear engagements. We’re just accustomed to shifting to Neutral and on the brakes at a Stop Light, to save some gas and relieve the tranny a bit. Now, if the Green Light catches us by surprise, we normally should have no problem immediately shifting to Drive and go. But the honking motorists behind always beats the CVTs’ reaction to propel the Murano forward. Now, we seldom disengage from Drive to avoid embarrassing situations. Additionally, there are situations where this “delayed behavior” could really pose some hazard. For example, on an uphill – this delay from Neutral to Drive may allow the vehicle to momentarily roll backwards and accidentally hit something behind,( that moment you shift your foot from the Brakes to Gas. You really have to be on the Brakes longer than normal and wait for Drive to engage before getting on the gas or learn and be accustomed to left-foot braking (that a few people do when driving Automatics.) On an uphill, It may be any maneuver either from a standstill (Park – Reverse – Neutral – Drive …delay…delay), a turn-around maneuver, or simply backing-out of a the driveway onto a downhill. Our previous Muranos had quicker Neutral to Drive engagements that did not allow the vehicle to momentary roll back freely on an incline nor roll forward on a downhill as you engage to Reverse from Drive – Neutral – Reverse.

We’re arranging an appointment with the Nissan dealers Service Dept. soon. We hope 09 Murano owners would freely chime-in if ever they notice the same experiences we’re having with ours. Hopefully, it’s something minor that they could just adjust or tweak the CVTs’ computer, maybe? We’ll keep you posted.
    Im sorry that you are having troble with your CVT transmission and I am glad that you are going to your Nissan Dealer to see if there is an adjustment to be made. Besure you tell them that you put the CVT in neutral when you stop at a stop sign and then shift back iinto drive to take off. I'm not a mechanic or tectnition but I don't think it is a good idea shifting to neutral and back to drive at stop lights to save gas. Don't do it but if your that concerned about saving gas shut your shut engine off while waiting for the light to turn green (just kidding). And please don't be one of those drivers that shut off their engine and put it in neutral while going downhill on a long grade to save gas. ( Gas is under $2.00 a gallon now.
  • musky300musky300 Member Posts: 7
    Hate to throw a wet blanket over your methods...but over the course of a full tank and 400+ miles, with gas even at $3 or $4 per gallon, shifting from drive to neutral at all your stoplights MAY save $0.50 or so...and that's being generous. You'd probably be lucky to save a quarter.

Its surprising how little gas is used by a vehicle at idle.

Furthermore, you're likely causing MORE internal wear on the transmission by continually shifting it out of drive and then back into drive several times over and over again in stop and go traffic.

Like I said, don't want to sound overly negative, but after I read your post I just was shaking my head because it didn't make any sense.

Oh...and one last thing. I do own a 2009 Murano and notice the "delay" when shifting into and out of drive. Slightly annoying, but I really think its just a characteristic of the transmission and nothing that the dealer can do about it. I've had other vehicles that have done this as well...but usually the delay is not as significant.
  • jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    Finally decided it was time to replace our 1996 Dodge minivan now that the kids are out of the house and on their own. (and the current deals on new cars did not hurt). The Dodge has provided yeoman service for 238,000 miles with only a $1500 transmission rebuild at 140,000 as the major expense. (is THAT the awful Detroit reliability? Hmmmm.)

Anyway, we liked the ride height of the minivan, wanted AWD for the occasional ski trips to the mountains, and something big and comfortable for long highway trips, but a little (lot?) smaller than a Grand Caravan.

Looked at Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX, Lexus RX350, Acura MDX and some of the "3 rows of seats" CUVs. The 3 row CUVs were really just minivans with more of a SUV shape and less room - not what we needed or wanted. (Is image THAT important to the soccer mom now?) Rogue, RAV4, CRVs seemed a little too small to us after living in that giant Caravan for so long.

The '09 Murano was the right size with the best value (combination of luxury, features, MPG mileage, reliability and price). RX350 wasn't too far off, but $4 or $5 grand more for downlevel technology (DVD based NAV...) and a slightly better warranty just did not cut it.

NOW, 3 days after purchase, I'm just getting through the manuals. The "Quick Start" Guide is 45 pages long!

In '96, the then advanced "second generation" minivan had cool features like power windows and a CD player. And a button on the key fob that unlocked the doors from the outside! But for "Mo" I've ordered a CF card ($5 incl shipping from Hong Kong on eBay) so I can add that to all the ways to use the audio system. Really like the hard drive Music Box, and the NAV, and power liftgates, and Voice Response systems that control the very neat bluetooth phone system, audio system, NAV, and probably the power up rear seats too. (well, maybe not that, but...)

Ricardo Montalban's "Rich Corinthian Leather" car had nothing on the Murano's either. Never had leather before, makes me feel wealthy!

We take our first long trip down Hwy 101 to LA in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to play with all the toys and rip CDs to the Music Box. And talk to the NAV lady. My wife is worried....

--J
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new ride. Gonna miss the sliders?
    Welcome to the site. Plenty of good info here. Good luck with your new Murano!
    Enjoy.
  • pakhyon07pakhyon07 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased my 09 Murano late Jun. 6 days later the ABS, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VDC, TCS all came on. Didn't go away until I turned the vehicle to the dealer. Dealer said they couldn't find the problem. Have had problems with the transmission. When the overdrive is off, the car revs all the way to the rev limiter... Does anyone else have this problem??? Also the car rolls about a half a foot forward or backwards when its parked. Have a whine noise in the left front door when the car locks itself. Does anyone else have that problem also???
    I'm sorry to here that you are having so much trouble with your Murano SL FWD. You said that you bought it in late June and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong and here we are in December six months later are you still having problems? I have the 2009 Murano SL AWD that I bought in April and so far I haven't had any problems and hope I don't have any. I guess fortunately that your Murano is covered under warranty but it has to be mind bogeling to keep having problems even being covered under warranty. Hopefully by now six months later they have found the source of your problems or replaced them and you are enjoying your Murano.
    Don't have any of those problems but think I can help on the rolling in park. When you brake to park keep the car in gear and firmly apply the parking brake. Depending on the slope of your parking spot[drive or reverse], ease up slightly on the brake pedal until the car rests on the parking brake then put in park and shut it off. All cars I drive coast a bit when parked without properly engaging the parking brake.
  • zahtecezahtece Member Posts: 4
    Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems. I purchased my 09 murano in may of this year. What I noticed is the ABS light came on when the weather got colder and had to put air in the tires (all of them) then the light went out. What I really don't like as you said, is how bad the car rolls. If I park on a downslope I have to use my left foot at the same time I'm accelerating so it doesn't continue to roll. I like the ride it's smooth, but don't always like the sound of the engine when you accelerate.
    Actually my car rolls on a level field. Its not even sloped or anything...
    You should use your parking brake at all times. 1st for safety and 2nd because it keeps the mechanism for engaging it from binding up after long periods of unuse. Even on level ground, by engaging the parking brake then allowing the car to creep forward to the brake, then putting it into park , you actually take stress off the transmission and drive line --- so I've been told. Give it a try and check back.
    I'll try that and see if it works.. But does your MO rev all the way to its limiter when the OD is off???
    I never have the od off so I can't say. It does rev to the limit when I start it for a second, but that's normal.
  • keycrusaderkeycrusader Member Posts: 3
    The only thing I see missing from the LS model (that I would want) is the iPod connector kit. (and maybe the alarm system) Has anyone found an aftermarket option to get control of iPod on Nav screen / steering wheel? Even if it has to be drilled through the glove box?

Any information would be appreciated. It's the same Nav system in both (with 9.3GB HDD, etc.) Shouldn't it have the same plugs / ports on the back?
    There is a discussion about this going on at:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/369806-09-sl-murano-real-story-for-ipod-co- nnections

I think you are right, and I have found in the 2009 Murano Service Manual description of an "IPOD Adapter" (drawing shows a small box) located in the center console just forward of the shifter. I have not had the guts to start taking apart the console on my wife's brand new Murano to see if there are connectors for that adapter there. Yet...

--jayhawk
    Don't have an iPod but saw a universal adapter on motorweek tv show. Looks like what you are looking for. Go to the website and click on auto basics then gear. Costs $80 -- don't know if it is what you want. called soundgate core.
    That motorweek product does not do what keycrusader and other are looking for. It was just a remote control for an ipod connected to the RCA Aux jacks. But we want iPod integration that uses the Murano's display and steering wheel controls, voice command system, etc. Just like the factory ipod integration feature on Murano LEs and many other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.

I think it may be possibel. After all, the GTR has a "Dealer Installed" option for ipod integration that does it on the very same Bose/Music Box/Nav systems available in the Murano.

--jayhawk
  • keycrusaderkeycrusader Member Posts: 3
    I finally leased my Murano SL last Friday night. Loving it! The parts guy at the Nissan dealership said that I could add the same iPod functionality to the Nav unit as in the LE for $400. He said they had done it a couple of times... I'm going to go back in during the next couple of weeks for a warranty repairs (sunroof shade is wonky), so I'll attempt to find out more about which part he was going to install for me. He said it would charge the iPod and allow me to control my music from the touchscreen as well.

The parts guys name was Matt and he works for Christopher Nissan in Bountiful, UT if anyone wants to call before I have time.

I've been misled buy other sales guys who didn't quite understand what they were talking about though, so I'm a little hesitant to spend $400 to try it out.

If I learn anything I'll post it on here though. The XM radio trial is nice, but it's just not the same as controlling my music. I guess there is already a built in 9.3 GB drive and a compact flash drive, so I'm not completely out if the iPod idea doesn't pan out.
    While I never trust anything any dealer sales personnel (or finance, or service writers, or....) the parts guy may be right. That price of $400 is almost exactly what Nissan charges for the "Dealer Installed" iPod integration kit for the GTR. I would not be surprised if it is the same parts. There might even be a existing connector in SLs where the IPOD Adapter box the LEs have, making it a very simple install. Maybe...

--J
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    I sure wouldn't trust that number. Parts are always more expensive when you buy after the initial sale. If this is an FM modulator kit, then it is probably too high. If it is for in dash, then the labor costs are pretty intensive as you have to remove the entire dash to get the FM unit installed.

I would get some clarification and pricing in writing.
  • marianegsmarianegs Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just got my Murano today and I have a question, that I am hoping someone can help me with. Does the Radio tell you what song is playing? I also have a 2005 chevy and the radio says what song is playing. Do you know if the Murano does that? And if it does, how do you set it up to do it. Thanks for any help you can give
    the XM Radio on the Murano (if so equipped....) shows song title/artist info. (on some Nissans you have to press a "text" button to get that info.

Also, the Bose radio on some models has RDS (Radio Data System) capability which displays some information broadcast by radio stations, although I think very very few US radio stations use RDS.

The CD player will display CD Text information if the CD has that encoded, and it will display song info from MP3s on the Music Box, Compact Flash card, and I assume MP3s on a data CD (have not tried that myself - the CF card is easier)

--jayhawk
    Some cd's read out on my 2009 and some don't. Like jayhawk says they must have it encoded on the cd itself. It's not like your computer which seems to read almost all fairly recent cd's
  • tonyktonyk Member Posts: 10
    Just leased an 09 Murano SL AWD. Is anyone having problems filling up and getting a full tank of gas? Sounds like dumb question but I am unable to fill car up all the way. Seems like a lot of air in tank or something. Even filled it up real slow and no difference, dealer said to bring it in could be something clogged? Anyone else having problem or ideas on what it could be? Real odd.
    Mine is fine. just a thought, if something is discovered to have been in the tank and the dealer changes your tank, what contaminates could have entered the engine? btw...i accidentaly pulled my gas cap off of the nylon string it attaches to on the first fillup. good luck with your ride.
  • jakefl7jakefl7 Member Posts: 14
    What is the status of your vibration issue? Has the issue been resolved?
    I have a new 2009 SL and have a vibration issue around 75 to 80 mph. At these speeds the I can see the passenger seat vibrate and the sun visors vibrate and I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. I had the car at the dealer a few times and they balanced the tires and claim it is fixed but it is not. I had a 2005 Murano SL and did not have any vibration issues. Any suggestions?
    Hi,
    Actually the first time it happened I was on my way to the dealer for winter wipers. I mentioned the vibration and was told it happens from ice or snow frozen on the mags. It has 20 mags. Apparently it is like throwing extra weights on the overall balance and it puts it out of whach as if you badly needed a balancing. Anyhow after I left te dealer and everything was cleaned of it worked fine. I did have it yesterday but it is gone now that the car was indoors for a bit I guess things melted off the mags. I guess if they were not 20 inch mags I should plan on putting my winters on rims next year instead. Good luck.
    Just curious if you are doing this testing on the same road and have you checked the tire air pressure? The door sticker says 35psi but some new cars come overinflated from the factory for transport reasons. You might try a shop that does high speed balancing.
  • pasell3pasell3 Member Posts: 15
    So, initially when I purchased my Murano, I LOVED the vehicle. Not only does it look great, but it drives nicely as well, Limited road noise compared to my older car, and the smoothness of the engine was not comparable. I test drove a LOT of vehicles, including the Infiniti FX, Highlander Limited, Acura RDX and MDX and Honda Pilot EXL.

Now, after 6 months, I have some issues. The issues now are very annoying.

I have this banging noise coming from my engine, which only happens when the vehicle is idling. Yes, they have done an idle reset on 2 occassions. It gets worse the longer the vehicle is in operation. When I start in the AM, barely noticeable, but by the end of the day, at evey stop sign or red light, the banging sound is at times ridiculously loud. Not only that, but the car starts to hesitate and vibrate as well.

I took it to the Nissan dealer 4 times. The 1st 2 times they called it "normal". LOL!! Normal? My wife noticed this issue without me even saying a word and she's not a car person.

Finally, a tech noticed the sound but could not pinpoint the issue and now they need some Nissan expert guy to actually come in and take a look at it. Think of a rumbling tumbling sound in a clothes dryer and that is what it sounds like with the car vibrating and shaking when it happens. Not sure what is going on here but it's bothersome.

After 4 months, my windshield has now starting vibrating or making this tapping sound that is as though someone is tapping on my windshield with their keys. No accidents, no windshield was replaced, etc. Just started happening.

Yes, I do a LOT of traveling, averaging about 1500-2000 miles/month, but being that I take excellent care of my cars, no abuse here. As a matter of fact, I am a slower highway driver, really never taking it over 70MPH.

I am also getting 22.2 MPG which I think is very good considering it's an AWD vehicle. The fact I need to put 93 Octane in it and was not told that until the day I was signing the paperwork was annoying but whatever. With fuel prices having fallen below $2 for premium I cannot complain.

So, now I'm in this great looking vehicle, but have the issue with the rumbling and windshield tapping issues. It's going in for service, and if it's not fixed this time, I'm gonna lose my cool.
    Sorry to hear about your problems -- none yet with mine. You don't need to put premium gas in the tank -- only recommended-- mine has run just fine on regular.
    I repeat, your murano will run just fine on regular.
  • wordsworth03wordsworth03 Member Posts: 1
    check out this link:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=528373ed5034b71d0caa34034c4d- e002&threadid=12146

It sounds like the same problem you have with the tapping in the windshield.
    Can I just tell you this is why I LOVE this site. What is described in that post is almost exactly my issue. I am printing this up and going to take it to the dealer with me. It's great to have access to information like this, and hopefully it will make the dealers job easier.

Thank you again for the help!!
    Well, according to the dealer, the 1st question they asked me about the rumbling sound I have in the engine is "what type of fuel are you using" INSISTING that it needs to be at least 91 Octane. Being that most station sell either 89 or 93, I've had to use 93.

So, unless some authorized Nissan person tells me otherwise, I'm gonna stick to the premium fuel.
  • endodocendodoc Member Posts: 15
    i just want to tell anyone out there that i have Murano(09),Infinity G35X and porsche 911. my infinity is in for service and they gave me an infinity Ex. it not nearly as nice as the Murano. too small,no power trunk not as quiet, harsher on road bumps, not as sure footed in the snow even though i have 20 " tires .. i don't think people know how good the nissan is .
  • andrewawandrewaw Member Posts: 1
    I was reading through this forum, and noticed an eaarler post that describes exactly what just happened to me. I was told the SL would have full IPOD control though the cars stereo, and that was one driving factor to purchase this car all together. When I found out this was not true, the dealer did agree to "retro- fit" an IPOD connection so I could have this desired functionality. I Just found out that on the SL whit NAV and XM/XM traffic, that this could not be done at all. Its simply not possible. I am told that the radio is physically different in the SL than it is in the LE. That being said, can the SL radio be replaced by the same radio in the SL and then retrofit with the IPOD connection digitally?
    If not , I will consider returning this vehicle and getting something else, since the lease payment on teh LE is about the same as a nicely equipped Lexus RX and other vehicles. We were previously Murano owners, so I would Love to stay in the family!

Thanks for any input.
    So the rumbling sound is present on regular and absent on premium on your muano? Easy fix -- use premium. Mine runs fine on regular as do many others. Perhaps your anti-knock sensor is defective. The 20 cents difference per gallon computes to only $150 every 15k miles and the premium probably contributes a bit to performance so no big deal.
  • talgaltalgal Member Posts: 1
    I'm finalizing negotiations for my 09 LE AWD with NAV and Moonroof. Also researching options for an aftermarket rear DVD system. I would love to have a dual headrest system (don't like the options for roof mountings with the moonroof), but understand headrest solution may not be possible since the 09 LE has "active" headrests.

Edmunds' threads seem to indicate there is an Invision dealer installed headrest dvd system that may be do-able, but it isn't clear to me if the Invision headrest system is do-able with the active headrests. Invision website doesn't elaborate on this issue either. Anyone have information on this? What type of DVD system have other owners installed on 09LE with NAV and Moonroof?