Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Outlook Transmission Problems

Comments

• willyo1willyo1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently in Oklahoma--1000 miles from home. Car started making noise and "skipping" during acceleration. Made it back to SC by towing it. Car would not move 2 days after returning home. I took it to a shop. I was told that they did not have any good news for me. Tranny needed to be rebuilt ($2500 --$2700). On the positive side, the shop is familiar with the problem because they have replaced several trannys In Acadias and Enclaves. I have 69000 miles on it and 7 months out of warrantee. I have not approached GM yet.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi willyo1,

We understand that you're having problems with your transmission and apologize that you're facing a repair. If you'd like for us to start a case for you within our system, please send us your name, VIN, contact information and dealership you're working with. Please also reference your screen name here on the forum.

socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • laydroyaltylaydroyalty Member Posts: 2
    I am normally a very calm and collective individual but the customer service I have received between yesterday and today reassures me as to why some US companies are not rated high in customer service.

I will start with saying I have had a few issues with my 2009' Saturn outlook which I bought brand new in 2009."

1st the car would not start randomly in my driveway and the keys would not come out of the ignition, however it was covered under warranty, I was told the brand new battery was no good also some wiring issues. The dealership said it would not be done till the evening or next day and would not give me a loaner, go figure. Big inconvenience missed a days work.

2nd Had to go in for software issues twice. Afterward I explained that my car was really loud at startup and idling now that this had been done. Stated they had no fix, disappointed but I lived with it.

3rd Back windshield wiper broke while in the garage. Took it in to be fixed the part had to be ordered. Had to bring it back again to have replaced dealership broke replacement upon fixing had to bring back a 3rd time, finally replaced

4th Leads us to yesterday on my way to clinical rotations @6am my Outlook's heat would not work I thought that was strange.. but said maybe it needed a fuse. About 3 more miles the "car shut the radio off and said engine overheating, a/c hot turn of vehicle" I pulled into the lot and walked. Upon finally paying someone to give me a ride home I contacted GM"s customer care and I explained that it had to be the water pump or thermostat as there was coolant in the vehicle. The young lady said it was probably the water pump as with my vehicle there were special considerations outside of the warranty, and the water pump was one of them. I also asked about any recalls or other issues pertaining to my vehicle as I was having other problems. She said "there were none" I said "well my car jerks when being put in reverse, shifts gears when it does not need to (yes I know about the auto feature, it is not that) and stalls driving on the road, which is very dangerous, it is also rattling I think a shock, strut or mount and it is still loud!" She then said "there are some special considerations in regards to that as well." I said "what, I just asked you about that!" She then stated "they only let you know about it if you complain about an issue." with more being said I wont get into. They picked up my suv this morning. The dealer said it was the water pump. I explained the other issues to them as I was instructed by the GM rep, they acted very nonchalantly and said it would be $100.00 to check the other things as GM wont cover it. Stunned but not surprised I said "forget it when will my vehicle be completed", he said" hopefully by closing." I said I have meetings I need a car. He said there is an enterprise up the street you can go up there and rent one. First of all if I could go up there and rent one I wouldn't need a vehicle. Second GM said it would be covered. After going back in forth with what I thought was basic common sense they arranged a vehicle with neighborhood enterprise. By the way I will not return to this dealership again. Needless to say I have missed one mtg and I am still waiting on a vehicle and the additional issues still have not been addressed. Sadly I feel as if GM is making it hard for you to obtain service, therefore once it is out of warranty they don't have to replace it. Can it be the dealer, who knows but you never get direct answers from either. Before something else major goes wrong I will take it through another avenue if it doesn't get resolved as I have been extremely patient and cordial up and to this point.
  • claytw05claytw05 Member Posts: 6
    Welcome to the club. Just wait til your transmission and torque converter go out.

This whole situation sounds very familiar to me, as far as your dealership goes. You wouldn't happen to live in Indiana would you?
  • laydroyaltylaydroyalty Member Posts: 2
    No, I'm in Ohio and it was a Chevy dealer. Sad to say I for see the same.
  • marqmanmarqman Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    This is my second post to this site. My earlier post (#748) told the saga of my 2008 Outlook and its transmission and torque converter problems that have resulted in the vehicle being driven to the dealership 3 times and towed in twice. Last week I managed to limp into the dealership once again. My new GM case number is 71-122-5451459 and, after multiple communications with the service representative, Goober-mint Motors has blessed me with a brand spanking new 2013 transmission and torque converter! All covered by the warranty.

I will pick up the Outlook next Tuesday (9-24-13), Here's hoping this fixes the problem and this will be my last post on this site.
  • boosaturnboosaturn Member Posts: 5
    I have 3 words....Class Action Lawsuit? Hello, anyone? Reading all these posts makes me sick. GM can and should do better! My Saturn is in the shop with our 3rd transmission repair. Hoping GM comes through like they should.
  • mgierachmgierach Member Posts: 2
    Amber or whoever else is monitoring the GM Customer Service. How does one go about getting a claim started? I fear I am heading down the path of a second transmission already in my 2008 Outlook. I am out of the original warranty, and I am now also about 15,000 miles out of the rebuilt transmission warranty, but total the rebuilt transmission has gone about 27-28K miles, and now it is sputtering again as it gets ready to shift. I fear for my family's safety when someone other than myself drives the vehicle, but have no other real choice for them to use it when taking a trip of any disctance. I am not real happy with the dealership here in Rockford considering the first transmission went out within 5 months of me leaving the lot with the vehicle. Thank you.
  • mgierachmgierach Member Posts: 2
    Sorry...should state that this would be the third transmission for the vehicle (at least since I have owned it) and my second transmission replacement.
    edited September 2013
    Hi mgierach

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this frustrating issue. You can send us an email containing the information that you posted here and please include your name, VIN and mileage. Send the email to socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • boosaturnboosaturn Member Posts: 5
    Did you ever hear of any CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS re the transmission problems? I am interested. We are experiencing our 3rd failed transmission and a huge $$$ to boot!
  • sunrise77sunrise77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ya all, I have the 3-5-r problems as well, just had my transmission rebuilt, and now Im getting 13-15 mpg. Anyone know why and what I can do about this??? Gm and was suppose to get back with me a week ago Ill be calling first thing monday.
  • ceelo13ceelo13 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    I would love to take part in a Class Action lawsuit. I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook with less than 36,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. I had both my kids in the car one with a disability (Autism) when this car decided to once again break down. No transmission should go with less than 36,000 miles on it. Ready to sue with or without "Class" action.
  • d_erwind_erwin Member Posts: 2
    Just got word that my 2007 transmission is gone now too .. looking at 2-3-4000 repair item.
    Any help for the Canadian folks?

Daryl.
  • frs929frs929 Member Posts: 51
    Nope. My 2007 cost $3800 to repair. GM will screw you too
  • mlmanjoneymlmanjoney Member Posts: 2
    Our woes with our 2009 Saturn Outlook are echoed by so many people here.

We have suffered from sluggish shifting, problems going up hills, and shifting gears for a long time. Not to mention 2 summers ago, water pump going out, having on two separate occasions having to fix a leaking sunroof that actually had our car starting on its own.

So in March 2013 we bring the car in, it is having trouble shifting, going up hills, making a 'chunking' sound. My regular mechanic for routine maintenance said the transmission was going. SO I bring it to our local authorized Saturn repair. They take OVER A WEEK (after making an appointment) to even LOOK at it, and we had to pull teeth to even get a loaner car. And tell us, the transmission is fine, we just need new hoses and a transmission flush. Cost us close to $700. I ask them specifically if the wave plate is alright, and to check the transmission fluid for metal shavings. Mechanic says nothing is wrong. Minute we drive off the lot check engine light pops on and I notice we have the same issues we brought it in for.

We can't afford to bring it back in for the same wallet raping so we have to wait a couple of months. Fast forward to June. Problem is starting to get worse, so we make an appointment with a different dealership. Drop it off, next day they call us - Wave plate is broken, there is no way the last dealership should have let the car off the lot with the car in the condition it was. Got us a loaner right away. Took 3 week to fix, and we were told not only was the wave plate broken but there was chunks of metal embedded in the transmission. Something the previous dealership should NOT have missed.

We get the car back for a week, something else goes wrong, car goes into the shop for 2 months, we get a loaner (Not transmission related) 2 weeks after we get the car back, my husband is driving to work. Car starts to shake and stutter, and won't go over 45mph. Thank goodness he decided to come home. Soon as he gets to the driveway he hears a loud THUNK. Car now will not go into reverse or go anywhere. We have to pay to have it towed to the dealership the replaced the transmission under warranty. And they now have no loaner for us.

Then I find out, the case holding all the gears into the transmission broke, which was the thunk my husband heard. Imagine what would have happened if he was on the highway during rushhour and that happened. Someone could have gotten seriously hurt.

My 10 year old beaten up little Toyota has not even 1/4 of the problems this expensive newer car has.
  • d_erwind_erwin Member Posts: 2
    FYI - called the Canadian Support Centre - no help there .. having to pay out of pocket and keep the receipt. If there ever is a recall you can make a claim. This and water issues .. man oh man.. crap.
  • frs929frs929 Member Posts: 51
    GM knows about this problem. yet will do nothing about it.Doesnt stand behind their products
  • mcirishdreamsmcirishdreams Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Saturn outlook it was baught in the summer of 2010. That christmas I noticed a sluggishness to the car and while driving it completely stopped in the middle of the road. Since then I have had nothing but issues, I have been in the shop at Hutchens Chevrolet here in newport news, every 6 months since then for always a major issue. I baught the car for $23k and have put in thousands more to keep it running. I have stabilitrak issues, wave plate, timing chain issues, serviceable air bag issues, lift gate issues, water pump issues, musty smell continuously and here again after being in the shop in july I have it in once again for a code that told me "oil pressure low, shut off engine now!!! I am beyond pissed off an I want my money back from all the repairs and my $23k back! I have filed a complaint with the government with a link i found in this forum, and will not stop until this car/money pit is recalled...
  • mcirishdreamsmcirishdreams Member Posts: 2
    Well after a 392$ and no help or call from AMBER OR SARAH, and the automated messages, which I see every one on this site gets, I am now deciding on selling this car to carmax where I baught it from, so after giving my old car for a trade in and $23k for the car in 2010, then all the bills from Hutchens chevrolet(UGHHHH) they only offered me $9k. What a joke! I was told by Hutchens that I have engine sludge, which is supposedly my fault, I do my oil changes and always have the car into this crappy delearship. But after researching it, it is the problem of this crappy :lemon:!!!! Engine sludge is due to... A restricted or malfunctioning crankcase ventilation (PCV) system can contribute to sludge formation by not allowing moisture vapor and fuel vapors from the crankcase to be drawn away while the engine is running. :lemon: I am told that I need a new engine to the tune of $7-8k because they cant get all the engine sludge out! I am sick to my stomach and at a lost for patience anymore. How can this car not be recalled, gm should be utterly ashamed...I have faught for this car and told others how i loved it, so now I hang my head in shame for being duped. DONE WITH THE MONEYPIT :lemon:
  • the_hatfieldsthe_hatfields Member Posts: 1
    this message is for customer service/Sarah. we too have the same transmission probs along with the battery drain issue and leaking EVERYWHERE. We are so done with this vehicle. please message me so I can provide you with our information. We have contacted GM about the issues but no one ever responded. Not sure of the case number.
    Hello the_hatfields,

We understand your concerns and apologize that you've also experienced problems with the transmission on your vehicle. We would be more than happy to take a second look into your case to see what options are available to you. Unfortunately, since there is no messaging system here on the forum, the best way to contact us is through email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include your name, VIN and contact information.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    I too had problems with my 2007 Saturn Outlook transmission. It had 34770 miles on it when the transmission went. I was told it was a 3.5r wave plate which I believe controls the reverse in the vehicle. I fought with GM for weeks as warranty or not I was NOT paying close to $4000 for a new one. After 3 weeks and $700 in rental fees GM agreed to pay all but $500 for the new transmission however I am still pursuing my legal options for rental reimbursement. GM is well aware that this is a major problem with this vehicle yet they are refusing to recall it. I advise everyone to contact their local Better Business Bureau and Dept. of Consumer Affairs. I also believe that a class action lawsuit be researched as this is definitely not a random issue. If anyone is interested please post it here. Here some links to other forums regarding Saturn Outlook problems. For give me if some are repeated...

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=2396.0;all

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/35400391/2008-gmc-acadia-wave-plate-broken.- aspx

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f171273?@guest@

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f171273/364

http://www.edmunds.com/saturn/outlook/2008/consumer-discussions.html
  • gotlabradorsgotlabradors Member Posts: 1
    I've had it with this car. Every major problem that happened with the 2007 Saturn Outlook we have had to deal with. Last night the transmission died. Metal shavings found in the transmission fluid. Total cost for a new one for a car that has 72,000 miles on it...$3600. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with 186,000 miles the only major repair was the cv joints at 160,000 miles. I can't believe GM refuses to stand behind a product that it knows a defective part in it. I will never own another GM product as long as I live. I will do my best to dissuade anyone I can from ever buying a GM product as they could care less about their customer satisfaction.
  • rakerley25rakerley25 Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my 2007 Saturn Outlook was unable to shift out of 1st gear. I found it extremely odd because the night before, I had no issue whatsoever with shifting. I let the vehicle sit for about a day, and the next time I drove the vehicle, I did not experience any issue. I drove the vehicle for about 2 months after that, and then all of a sudden, I experienced the same issue. The vehicle has now been towed to a GM repair center and they are telling me I need a new Transmission Control Module and a new Wave Plate. Has any one experienced a similar issue? It seems odd to me that the issues I experienced were sporadic in frequency. I would assume if the TCM or Wave Plate was bad, the issue would not go away, and then come back .
  • jerry194jerry194 Member Posts: 7
    I did have this issue with my 2008, though I did not give it a chance to sit a day before I had it fixed. Its been a few months but I think I paid about $800.
  • marqmanmarqman Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    I feel your pain. The transmission in my 2008 Outlook failed at 64,000 miles. I went through new wave plates, new valve assemblies, and, finally, after a 6-month battle, a new transmission. I was lucky - I have a very good dealer in Gaithersburg, MD. The service department manager supported my fight with GM for 6 months. GM finally gave in and covered everything under warranty.

I am very disappointed in Government Motors - but I owe an very big thank you to King Buick in Gaithersburg for all they hard work they did to get GM to honor their warranty.
    Hi rakerley25,

We're sorry that you're facing a repair on your transmission. We understand your concerns surrounding this situation, and we apologize that you are experiencing this. If you would like for us to build a customer assistance case for you within our system please feel free to send us your full name, VIN, mileage, contact info and dealership. Please also reference your screen name. We can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    I had the same problem, yet GM is feigning ignorance to the issue. I suggest everyone who has had this problem contact the Department of Justice in your state as well as Washington DC. GM gave me a price of nearly $4000 then $1800, I finally got them down to $500 because they could not explain how a vehicle with such low mileage - 34,400 - could need a transmission. They tried to hide behind my vehicle being 6 years old, but when I asked them to go on record and publicly admit that their vehicles are crap after six years, naturally they would not oblige. I am still awaiting reimbursement for 20 day car rental. Again this is a major SAFETY issue with this vehicle but unless everyone gets together and brings GM to task, NOTHING is going to be done to help GM vehicle owners such as ourselves.
  • brak99brak99 Member Posts: 1
    We are owners of an '07 Outlook with ~75,000 miles. The transmission died yesterday evening when we were nearly 100 miles from home. Had to put up the family in a nearby hotel then rent a car to get home today. We got the same diagnosis (transmission failure) and repair estimate ($3,800). We contacted GM today to request that it be considered a warranty repair and received a lukewarm response. I hope they will eventually come to their senses and take care of their customers.
  • fazer42fazer42 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your posting. I am at 77,000 on my '07 outlook and just had a transmission issue as well. Basically acted like it was stuck in neutral. Now just awaiting the brutal estimate to repair :(. Fearing it's similar to as you mentioned. Painful.
  • jlt52jlt52 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Aura, 87K miles, transmission went with wave plate failure last week; local dealer knocked $250 off the labor portion of the bill but GM is not willing to help out. Cost is $3700 after the labor discount. Based on all the posts this problem seems to be quite pervasive.
  • lkb2001lkb2001 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Oh wow I see I am not alone, 2008 outlook w 78k miles and a transmission is needed, this is beyond ridiculous, I had no prior issues w this vehicle and driving yesterday my car wouldn't go last 20 and move into 2nd gear. Gm dealer calls me tonight and tells me too bad too sad, how can you treat your customers this way? This is a damn expensive car and sorry is not enough in this situation. What steps can be taken?
  • dmwhite2770dmwhite2770 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same situation. I have an '07 outlook and apparently TODAY my tranny has gone out as well with 84k miles on it...my wife was traveling with my 8 and 6 year olds and the car would not shift into gear. She was about 45 minutes from home with two irritable kids. After I arrived almost 2 hours later, it did engage only to stall again 15 minutes from the house. I have also experienced an oil leak that was diagnosed just after the vehicle was out of the 5 year warranty. I will call the dealership tomorrow in hopes reaching a resolution. Based on what I have read tonight, the outlook ( pun intended) does not look good. This apparently is a common problem and it is sad that GM is not stepping up to address this issue. I will post an update tomorrow...per the previous posts, this has really been a frustrating evening...
  • jgurnonjgurnon Member Posts: 1
    Our transmission just went out in our 2008 Saturn Outlook. We have 80,000 miles. Anyone know if GM is doing anything about this? It seems like it is happening WAY too often by reading all the posts. They need to stand by their product and fix it under warranty if this many people are having trouble with it!
    GM did pay for all but 500.00 for my wave plate. My vehicle had less than 35000 miles on it. I am currently awaiting their decision on my rental costs. If I were you I'd keep fighting. If enough of us get together maybe they'll realize this is a widespread problem. You should also report it to the department of Consumer Affairs. There is strength in numbers.
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the transmission issue you are experiencing in your Outlook. If you would like me to take a look at your individual situation feel free to send an email to my attention at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your username, full name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello ikb2001,

I understand your frustration of having transmission issues. If this is something you would like me to look into for you I would be happy to do so. Please send an email to my attention at socialmedia@gm.com including your username, full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello jlt52,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue. Have you already spoken to our Customer Care Team? If there is something you would like me to look into further feel free to send an email to my attention at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your username, full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care
    Hello dmwhite2770,

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience that you have experienced due to transmission issues with your vehicle. Let us know how your dealership visit went and if there is anything you would like us to look into further. We can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com, ATTN: Jonathan. Please include your username, full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care
  • mgibbenmgibben Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR that at 70,000 miles had the transmission go out (Feb of 2012). Dealer replaced 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, reverse wave plate. Yesterday, my car won't shift out of first gear and revs up, take it back to the dealer who worked on the transmission originally, and the TCM control valve is bad and needs to be replaced. This is a $1200 fix and GM won't cover any of the cost!! I think that GM needs to step up to the plate here and take care of us!! There are KNOWN transmission issues with the 07 and 08 Saturn Outlooks!! This may be the end of a GM era at my house... :sick:
  • jhtarheeljhtarheel Member Posts: 1
    I recently had some transmission problems and took my Outlook to the GM dealer. They found a recall for the timing chain and replaced that, saying it would fix the problem. It did not. I took it back and they said my 3, 5 and R gears needed to be replaced and the transmission needed to be rebuilt. This was covered under the power train warranty and this was completed at no charge. Two weeks later, I was driving home from work and the traction control light came on, along with a message saying that was out. Then, the stabilitrac light came on and a message saying that was out, followed by the engine light and a message saying the engine had limited power. The car began to shake and I could not drive it over 20 MPH. I made it to the dealer, Brown and Wood, a couple miles away, where the service advisor, Greg, was kind enough to wait around a few minutes past closing after I called on my way there. Greg called today and said the throttle body was worn out and needed replacing. At the same time, a tire sensor (for air pressure) is also out. Does this throttle body thing have anything to do with the transmission or the timing chain? I've had zero problems with this car until all three things happened at in succession.
    Hi mgibben,

We understand your frustration and are saddened to learn that you feel this way based on your current situation. We would be happy to look more into this matter for you to see if we can provide any additional assistance. If this interests you, please email us your full name, VIN, contact information, and dealership. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Feel free to also include your screen name.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mwoods10mwoods10 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to my 08 Saturn (warnings and car slowing). Turns out is a water pump issue and is covered under a special warranty.
  • jfaziojfazio Member Posts: 2
    I just want to echo, my 2007 Saturn outlook has 78,000 miles and just had to replace the transmission. Super disappointing and a price tag of $4100 for the repair. We had really like the car (purchased in 2007 new - and well taken care of), but this is a major set back and concern. Would definitely caution any owner/buyers to beware.
  • jfaziojfazio Member Posts: 2
    I just received the exact same diagnosis on my 2007 Saturn Outlook XE last week. I am at 78,000 miles. It was a $4100 repair not to mention expenses being 3 hours from home when it happened. Pretty disappointing. Sure seems like there is a major defect. Owners or potential buyers should certainly beware.
  • rhosteinrhostein Member Posts: 4

Hello, I actually just got off of the phone with an incredibly nice customer service agent at GM by the name of Rosalyn. Unfortunately, as expected, she was able to do absolutely nothing for my completely trashed transmission on my 2008 Saturn Outlook.

We started experiencing our first concerns on Thanksgiving day when we were accelerating from a stop light. At right around the 30-40 MPH mark our Outlook revved up incredibly high. It eventually shifted into gear and seemed to run fine at higher speeds. It continued to do the same thing the rest of the weekend, so I decided to see if possibly we just needed to have a transmission flush. I brought it to our local shop and they said they would give it a flush, but did not suspect that was the problem. Instead, she ran a few diagnostic tests, topped off the fluid and suggested we see if that helped any.

The vehicle ran great for a full week after my visit to the shop. Relieved, I thought we must have just been running a little low on fluid and all was good. Well, a week to the day following our shop visit, our Outlook suffered the same symptoms only this time they were much more severe and my husband was barely able to get the vehicle home.

We called OnStar to see if they read any codes and they said it was reading a code with the transmission that hadn't been showing up the time before. So, we knew that this was not looking good. Having done some research and found all of these various forums online, I was nervous and prepared to hear the worse.

Sure enough...yesterday we received the call that so many of you have received that our Saturn Outlook with 72,000 miles needed a completely rebuilt transmission to the tune of at least $3,400! Merry Christmas to us!

I was leery about even calling GM after reading all of the posts and limited successes of everyone else...but felt that if/when I make my formal complaints to the powers that be and make this story known to ANY AND ALL THAT WILL LISTEN, I thought it best that I give them a fair chance to do the right thing. I spoke to an incredibly pleasant customer service agent by the name of Rosalyn that made it very clear that she was aware of the ongoing issues that they have had with the transmissions on these vehicles. Clearly, I was not the first customer that she had spoken to with this problem. She advised that if I wanted GM to give any consideration in looking at the vehicle, that I would need to move it from the shop where it is located to an authorized GM Dealer. I explained that the local dealer in town has not been able to figure out why the traction control light comes on at random times for the past two years...and didn't really feel confident in their ability to handle something as critical as a transmission rebuild. Not to mention, when I first suspected I was having issues with my transmission, I called OnStar and was told that I no longer had any warranty coverage and so GM would not assist with anything involving the repairs of my car. Therefore, I researched and found the most reputable, reasonable priced shop in the area and chose them to fix my car. After all, I cannot afford to do this repair again...on my own dime.

Well, she proceeded to tell me that GM would be willing to consider taking a look at the issue if I would have the vehicle moved to a GM approved dealership. I wanted to make sure I was understanding her correctly, so I asked...."Are you telling me that you would like for me to have the shop I am working at stop working on my vehicle, request that it be moved to a GM approved facility and than you will CONSIDER whether or not you MIGHT help pay for some of the expense of the repairs?" She replied yes. I said, so what about the expenses I have incurred at the shop where I am at right now....those are my responsibility. I said, so are you saying you will for sure pay for the repairs if I move the vehicle...nope! Oh, but you want me to bag up all of the parts and move it....pay for the tow and the repairs already done at the current shop...and quite possibly the additional repairs at the dealership (which we know will be at a higher rate and not nearly as good as where I am at)...just so you can have your guy look at it? Yes, she said.

I reminded her that this is an issue that GM is FULLY aware of and has had a history of knowing about for several years now. She said yes...she knows and has received many calls about it herself. I pointed out that the shop that is currently doing the repairs on my vehicle said he can list six Saturns he has done rebuilds on alone...all with low miles...one as low as 36,000. Yet, GM has not issued a recall and will not agree to pay for my repairs. Yep!

She readily admitted that she felt awful and wishes she could tell me something different. I felt bad for her really. Here she is forced to answer calls and represent a company that is reprehensible. Knowingly allowing families out on the roads with a vehicle that is unsafe and can break down at any given moment....but does nothing about it! And even when they are told that there is a problem and are simply asked to make it right...they don't stand behind the product they made!

We wonder why our economy is suffering?

Well, I can tell you this...I realize I am out the $3,400 and GM is not going help me. But, guess what? I am also out of a vehicle for several days and unable to work. So you know what that gives me....plenty of time to make this story VERY WELL KNOWN to anyone that will listen! I am going to send this information to every news station I know of! I am going to send it off to every local news station and when I am done with that I am going to pop it off to some of our National stations. This is ridiculous!! We are talking about thousands of customers losing THOUSANDS of dollars every year and a company that is willing to do nothing about it! Yet, they are fully aware that they have a faulty product on the roads!! This is wrong and I am going to make sure that it is brought to the publics attention. I realize it will do nothing for me. But, maybe it will help another family down the road. Maybe another family won't be screwed next year at Christmas and have to tell their kids...."Sorry, but this year mom and dad had to buy a new transmission for their 'good' car...so I guess you will have to be happy with just a couple of DVD's and those bags of mini Starbursts you had on your list!"

I wish the rest of you the best of luck. Be safe...and Happy Holidays to all!

Rhonda Steinhagen

I don't know if any of the rest of you have the time....but I am sending my concerns to local and national news stations. I have already sent it to my local ABC news affiliate in Minneapolis. I also sent it to Brian Ross at ABC New and to NBC News in NYC. At some point GM needs to take responsibility for selling a shoddy product. I can accept that sometimes products don't turn out as we had expected...but when you realize that there was something wrong...let the people know and make it right! Simple as that! And if they don't want to do a blanket recall and would rather just take their chances that not ALL of the 2007 and 2008 transmissions are going to break down...fine...don't send out a recall. But make it right for those that do! I'm not asking to gain anything from this. I just want my flipping car to be fixed and feel like I am driving a safe and reliable vehicle. I don't think that is too much to ask for the price we paid for this car.

Hello All,

This is my last post for the evening...but I have been doing more research on this matter and have come to made a decision....After reading page after page after page of frustrating posts, I am convinced that GM is not going to jump in and offer any of us any help for a problem they clearly are aware of and recognize to be a manufacturing defect. It is obvious that they know that this is more than just an occasional misfortune, yet they are unwilling to accept their responsibility in the matter. As such, I feel that I have no other choice but to proceed with looking into legal action. Before I take this step, I am going to offer one final opportunity for GM to make matters right. I will be sending them a certified letter and will be cc'ing the National Transportation Safety Board on this letter. I feel that we need to make sure that we are being heard. This is a serious matter.

I can't speak for all of you...but I suspect that most owners of a Saturn Outlook are hard-working people that aren't flashy looking for a handout. We go to work every day and are just trying to get by paying our bills and raising our families. Owners of Saturns are not generally folks that are rolling in cash that have a spare $4,000 laying around just waiting to blow on a transmission rebuild. For me, this transmission rebuild has completely meant changing what I can do for my children for Christmas. It has meant physically getting sick with stress of trying to figure out how I am going to pay for it. It means not paying several other bills this month because I need to pay to get my car fixed so that I can go to work next week. It means having to figure out how I can muster up some extra cash so that my kids can stay in hockey this season and I can pay for the violin rental bill that is coming due next week. This repair is devastating! Do I sound dramatic? Well good....because this is....it is dramatically tragic! It is awful and something that we certainly didn't plan for when we bought this vehicle that we will still be paying on for another three years!

So, while maybe the financial burden isn't so hard-pressed for some of you as it has been on us. I hope for most of you that it isn't. But, regardless of your financial situation...I don't believe that any vehicle with less than 100,000 miles should require a completely rebuilt transmission. That is wrong! And I think that any company that would choose to dismiss its customers and allow them to take the brunt of the financial responsibility of their shoddy workmanship should be called out for it. So, no matter how these repairs have impacted your bottom line, I ask that you not just lay down and take it. I'm going to demand that they hear me and do the right thing. If they choose to not listen...than I will speak louder. They might not answer right away...but I assure you...they are going to hear me!! And I am going to keep talking and keep telling people what they are doing until they make this right!

So, tonight I will be sending one final letter to GM asking that they please reconsider their stand on paying for the repairs of my vehicle. I am going to send the National Transportation Safety Board the same copy of this letter. I will give them until 1/1/14 to respond. If I do not have a response from that time, I will be taking the formal steps to move forward with a class action lawsuit. There are over 40 pages of people dealing with the same issues I am having on this site alone. I have found multiple sites with the exact same conversations happening there too. I will let all of the people on each of the other threads know what my intents are there as well.

I hope that others will follow my lead and start doing more than just griping on a website. As one we are quiet....as many...we are mighty!!!

To file a complaint with the Vehicle Safety Committee you can follow below link...

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml