Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Camry

Comments

• 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Am I correct that even the colors haven't changed? I still don't see the logic of Toyota introducing the '09 model so early in the year when no changes were made.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Great marketing logic.

When compared to other vehicles, you can get a 2009 Camry, or a 2008 Accord. Why buy a 'year old' Honda?

After driving for a year, it still sounds like you have a brand new vehicle.

Most are aware of the transmission hesitation in the early Camry 4 cylinders, and the 6cylinder flaring. Makes it sound like those early early car problems were 2 years ago.

I personally think it's misleading and all manufacturers should title/define it in the 'calendar year' that it was manufactured, but it hasn't been that way forever, and I'm sure they'd never go for that unless government mandated.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I don't see it either. I bet we see the "refreshed" Camry 2010 introduced late this year or early next year.
    Mack
  • tnltnltnltnl Member Posts: 9
    I recall the 2007/2008 Camry 6 speed transmission has potential for flares does this problem still exist in the 2009's?
    thanks
  • paul3637paul3637 Member Posts: 45
    The new 2009 3.5 Liter 268HP V6 no longer has tranny problems. Prior year Camry's with the problem have a TSB for the fix. My V6 LE came flawless from the factory in every respect. Gas mileage is outstanding and beats the rough running underpowered 4 cyl. I get an easy 36 mpg highway using premium gas - that may even beat the hybrid.

According to the tachometer, the 6 speed overdrive shows only 1,800 rpm at 60 mph ...... which explains the good gas mileage. I was hoping to just get the same 30 mpg highway I got with my 1997 Camry and an Avalon, both with the 3.0 Liter V-6 - and got a pleasant surprize that the increased horsepower also came with increased gas mileage.

Suggestion: Just to make sure, be sure and drive the one you are going to buy before you purchase it "just in case."

Note 1: The car calls for a 1000 mile break in period (p 118 of your owners' "book")
    Note 2: Maximum oil change interval is now 5,000 miles/6 months
    Note 3: They did away with all the expensive check ups. 100,000 mile fluids and 120,000 mile spark plugs mean all the routine maintenance you need to do is change oil and filter, air filter, and climate system cabin filter. Timing belt was replaced with a timing chain so it never has to be replaced.
    Note 4: Watch out when you change the oil - the crankcase capacity has increased to 6.4 quarts with filter change - up from the old 5 quarts.
  • bigworld005bigworld005 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I had my brand-new 2009 Camry LE automatic-trans for one and half day. it runs great except one thing I notice: when the car speed is >25mph,I put my hand on the steering wheel, I can feel some kind of vibration, it is just like that you stand by a river, and water flowing by, you can feel the vibration. it is not very obvious( I mean the body of the car doesn't dance with it), but you hand can definitely sense it. if you lower the speed <25 mph, your hand only feel the up-down of the road. Is this normal on a Camry? or something abnormal happened?

thanks,
    t.z.
    Is the steering wheel column locked in place? check the locking lever under the column to make sure it's secured tight.
    Mack
    Go with the XLE. The equipment you want is not even available on the LE. Just make sure you get the V-6 with traction and stability control. The Camry V-6 engine and drive train are nearly identical to the Lexus ES350. If you have not yet bought your new car, test drive a Lexus ES350, CamryXLE V-6, and a Camry XLE 4 cyl. My bet is you will go with the XLE V-6.
  • sreeysreey Member Posts: 4
    Sir,

I got quote from Dealer in Maryland for 2009 Toyota Camry LE with following options as follows. Please let me know If I can go for it.

JBL Premium 6 Disc In-dash CD Changer/ .....
    MP3/Bluetooth w/ 8 Speakers, In 6 ..........
    Locations, 440 Watts and Satellite Radio ...
    Capability. Requires: Subscription to .....
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver. ........
    Carpet/Trunk Mat Set .......................
    PREFERRED OWNER''S PORTFOLIO ................

Your Sale Price is $20,458.

If you are registerig the vehicle in Virginia, details of your final price will be as follows:

Total "Out the Door"..................................................................$21,469.3- - 2.

Is there any fouls play or any hidden faults in this Car. Kindly guess and reply.

I appreciate your comments.

Sree
    What is the MSRP of the car? That's unusual to only have the JBL/Bluetooth upgrade and not a moonroof and alloy wheels as they been packaging them since the 07 came out. It looks like a good price. gO For It!
  • sreeysreey Member Posts: 4
    ckabee,

Thanks for your mail. The MSRP is $23,024. Sale Price is $20,458. Follwing are specifications.

Toyota Camry LE sedan automatic Metallic silver with Hands Free blue tooth as specified :

JBL Premium 6 Disc In-dash CD Changer/ .....
    MP3/Bluetooth w/ 8 Speakers, In 6 ..........
    Locations, 440 Watts and Satellite Radio ...
    Capability. Requires: Subscription to .....
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver. ........
    Carpet/Trunk Mat Set .......................
    PREFERRED OWNER''S PORTFOLIO ................

warranty from toyota is 3yrs/36,000 .miles bumper to bumper nd 5yrs/60,000 miles powertrain.

car comes with regular steel wheels with covers.

I appericate your reply for this message
    If you take that deal; it is a good deal. But ...... will you be happy with it for the next five years?

At first, I could not figure out the fact they were giving you the car at essentially dealer invoice. They must figure someone cares more about the sound system than the drive train. You are buying a 4 cyl - very unpowered vehicle. I guess they think the sound system will drown out the fact that you cannot pass a car on an uphill grade without flooring the pedal to the metal.. Look at Consumer Reports test drive of the 2007 - where they found only a 1 mpg difference on the 4 cyl vs the V6 on regular gas. Mid range or premium gas in the tank of the V6 puts your mileage way beyond the 4 cyl.

Mine is a V-6 with the only option being carpeted floor mats and trunk but it is nonetheless fully equiped. My list: $24,614; my check cleared for exactly $22,066. If the sound system means more to you than having a Lexus drive train - go for it.

Best wishes.
  • veldevelde Member Posts: 17
    I'm considering the 2009 Camry V6, despite Consumer Reports below average rating of the 2008 Camry V6. I'd appreciate any comments on performance and reliability from 2008 & 2009 Camry owners.
    Thanks.
    Buy the V6. The engine and transmssion are flawless. I assume you know the V6 is the Lexus engine. I get Consumer Reports magazine, too - but any problems have been fixed; Note also that consumer reports test of the 2007 only got 1 less mpg than the 4 cylinder - and that was using regular gas in both. You are getting over 100 more horsepower with the V6. On the highway, I think I get better mileage than the hybrid - but I use premium gas.

I am reposting what said in my post #229 2009 Camry V-6 - Pass on 4 cyl by paul3637 Apr 23, 2008 (8:23 am) Replying to: caaz (Mar 17, 2008 7:54 pm).

It's been another month since that post and I have yet to have my first "problem" and the gas mileage is unbelievably good.

Here goes:

After testing a new 2008 Honda Accord V-6 with its "run on 3 cylinders at cruising speeds" technology and wind and road noise so bad that I had to turn the radio up to drown it out, I purchased a 2009 Camry 3.5 Liter 268 HP V-6 with its smooth as silk Lexus drive train. I drive 80% highway (55 to 75 mph) and 20% city and I was hoping it would get the same 30 mpg as my 1997 Camry. Using Shell "top tier" (high detergent) premium gasoline to take advantage of the timing advance feature which improves power and gas mileage over regular gas, after over 1,000 miles, I have gotten 36 - yes that's thirty six - miles to the gallon. Consumer reports rates the 158 HP 4 cyl Camry as "underpowered" and the EPA ratings don't take into account that you practically have to "push the pedal to the metal" to go up a steep hill. My 1997 Camry V-6 always got better mileage than my friends' Camrys with the 4 cyl. My 2009 V-6 gets better mileage than my neighbor's 2008 4 cyl Camry which is driven 90% highway and 10% city due to the nature of his job. And the mild engine vibration due to the design nature of all 4 cyl engines to me is annoying as heck. My 2009 Camry V-6 drive train is quieter, smoother, and more powerful than my wife's 2002 Lexus ES300 (3.0 Liter 220 HP V-6.)

The two problems with the 2007 V-6 - Oil consumption and transmission "flash" between shifts" are solved as follows: There never was an oil burning problem - the crankcase capacity was increased to from 5 to 6.4 quarts in the 2007's because they run hot to meet EPA requirements and many Toyota dealers and Quick Lube shops were only putting in 5 quarts when the oil was changed. Because the oil is so clear and splashes up on the dipstick holder, I can only get a a good read on the oil level when the car has sat level in the garage overnight. Thus far, the oil level has not moved from the "full" marker in over 1,000 miles. The transmission fix was taken care of in a TSB (there was a recall letter for it) and the new ones have the "fix" built into the six speed automatic transmission.

As for premium versus regular gas: here in Kansas City - regular is $3.59 a gallon and premium is $3,79. That's a 5.6% increase in cost that delivers about a 10% increase in gas mileage so it is actually cheaper to run premium fuel than regular.
    You're welcome. That is an excellent price. Usually 4 cylinder Camry LE
    s have about an $1800.00 mark up from invoice to MSRP. So you are getting it way below invoice. If you like the car go ahead and buy it. The majority of Camrys sold are the 4 cylinder versions. I'd say 85-90%. Some people prefer the V6 due to more power but you really don't need it. The JBL upgrade system is good due to the hands free telephone (Bluetooth) that alone is worth the price of the option. No more talking on the cell phone and one hand on the wheel.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • veldevelde Member Posts: 17
    Thanks very much; I was planning to test both the Accord and the Camry this week. Reading all the customer reviews on both models is conflicting. Your information was very informative and helped to clear up the confusion.
    To make sure you are testing comparable cars - Honda vs Camry - make sure you drive the Camry SE V6 and a Camry LE or XLE V6 with traction and stability control. These improve the handling ....... and even with these options, the Camry is cheaper than the Accord,

I got a plain LE V6 because I was able to get my '09 dirt cheap (below invoice) because it was on the lot and they were trying to rid themselves of excess inventory due to the slower sales all cars are showing. All the SE's and XLE's with traction and stability control were also loaded with thousands of dollars of extras that I did not want or need. If you "corner hard" or drive through curvy mountain roads, you probably want the extra handling capability in your Camry. Also, when you drive the Accord, listen for and feel the vibration when their "run on 3 cylinder" technology kicks in. When I bought my car, the Toyota dealer had a used 08 Accord sitting on the lot that a Doctor bought and the 3 cyl thing drove him nuts so he traded it in on a new Avalon.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There are only two ways someone would take note, notice, during a test drive if a car has TC and VSC. Drive at the "edge" on an adverse, slippery, roadbed, or on a race course, again, at the "edge".

"..These improve the handling..."

Not in the ordinary scheme of things.

Highly desireable options, especially TC for FWD or F/AWD, but.......
  • daalccadaalcca Member Posts: 2
    I also bougth a 5 speed manual Camry 2009 one month ago and I am disappointed with it. I don't know of you have noticed a buzzing when you run it at 45MPH or more. I have to turn on the CD player or the radio to try not to hear it. Since I already know that the buzzing is there, it annoys me. When I tested the car I had the windows opened so I couldn't hear it. I went back to the dealer and tested the car again and he also noticed the noise. We tested couple more 5 speed manual camrys 2009 and they had the same buzzing noise. We tested an automatic, it didn't have it. So, I took the car to the dealer's mechanical service and they tested it again. They also noticed the buzzing noise. It was Saturday when they tested it, so they couldn't call Toyota to find out what was going on. They suggested that maybe because the car is "new"??!! is making that noise. They told me to bring the car when it will have 1000 miles on it to check if the noise is still there. According to them, Toyota was going to suggest the same. The car already has 450 miles and the noise is there and getting more noticeable, at least for me. I noticed that when it rains that buzzing is more noticeable. And now that I use the A/C frecuently, I notice that the car vibrates a lot when the A/C is on mostly the steering wheel. It feels like it has a diesel engine instead of a regular one. But again, the car only vibrates when the A/C is on. If the A/C is off then the car is very quiet. So, now I have 2 reasons to go back to see the dealer when the car will have 1000 miles. Does anyone who owns a 5 speed manual camry 2009 has experienced the same problems? any suggestions?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have a 2007 CE 5 speed manual (really the same as the 2009) and do not have these problems. Could you provide more detail about the buzzing?

Also, you might want to check Toyotanation.com.
  • daalccadaalcca Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I am not sure how to define it. Is kind of a buzzing or whistle and it is more noticeable when you are riding at 45 MPH or more or when you are riding at more than 50MPH and then you switch the manual stick in "neutral". Have you noticed that your engine vibrates more when you turn on the A/C? In my new car that is very evident, I mean there is a lot of difference in the vibration of the engine depending if the A/C is on or off.
  • mburbagemburbage Member Posts: 2
    I read in one of the post that the timing belt was changed to a timing chain. Is that on all Camrys or only V6?
    The 4-cylinder in the Camry as of the 2002 model year, and the V6 as of the 2007 model year -- so timing chains throughout the Camry lineup as of today.
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    There are two new fixes TSB-0068-08 and TSB-0069-08 for the trasmission smoothness and for Vibration between 35-45 mph to all 2007 - 2009, 4 Cy Camrys.

TSB-0068-08 - To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the ECM calibration has been revised. This will supercedes the previous TSB EG036-07

TSB-0069-08 - Some customers may experience a vibration feeling most noticeable under light acceleration between 35-45 mph on '07-'09 Camrys with 2AZ and 5AT. The ECM calibration has been revised.
  • exlerexler Member Posts: 129
    Good info--my 08-4cylinder has that problem--thanks for posting.
    Good info--my 08-4cylinder has that problem--thanks for posting.--any idea how long in the shop to do that?
    Just 1 hour to update the software.
    As long as it takes. ;)
    Thank you for that info-----did that TSB-0069-08 just become available?
    Was looking on the NHTSA website for the Camry and it was not listed yet--I do not know if they list all TSB's? Thanks again--I will ask the dealer to look it up.
    Both TSBs came out on 5/21/08. You can ask the dealer for the TSB-0068-08, but for TSB-0069-08 they will have to test drive to duplicate the vibration.
    Thanks again--I think some other posters have had the same problem with that vibration problem.
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    I bought a new 2009 LE Camry with JBL, Moon roof and alloy wheels.

Is there any difference between the 2008 version and 2009 version?
    No difference at all from what I understand.
    Hi,

I compared all the camry models from 1983 to 2009 and there was been a reduction in the mileage from 24/34 to 21/33. The power has remained the same at 158HP but the mileage has reduced.

any clue on what has caused this. Ideally the mileage should be improving down the years.
    Hi,

I compared all the camry models from 1983 to 2009 and there was been a reduction in the mileage from 24/34 to 21/33. The power has remained the same at 158HP but the mileage has reduced.

any clue on what has caused this. Ideally the mileage should be improving down the years.
    The hosts will close down this topic by folding it into an existing thread, but until that happens, the mileage decrease occurred because of a change in EPA testing methods between model years 2007 and 2008. Of course, if you're going all the way back to 1983, the Camry was a smaller, less powerful car back then.
    The power has not remained the same. Maybe you meant from 2002-2009 is 158hp for the 4 cylinder. The 92-96 went from 130 the first year and then dropped to 125hp the next. The engine was a 2.2L .
    Mack
    Hi,

I bought a new Camry 2009 and have put around 480 Miles on it.
    I sometime feel a little jerk while it changes the speed from 15 to 20/25.

Also when i am moving at around 45 and i leave the accelerator pedal to reduce the speed, I feel a little jerk when the speed somes down to 35/40 (i think it comes down to a lower gear).

Sometimes in the morning i feel there is a delay in transmission as well. when i give very little push to the accelerator pedal the response is a bit slow.

the car is exceptionally smooth while moving above 45 and even at high speeds of 65 to 80 miles/hr.

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with the transmission. When i contacted the dealer, they said the car is adjusting to my habits of driving and the variable valve timing is getting adjusted.

Also please let me know what all things should i take care in the initial 1000 miles of the car to obtain a long life.

Thanks,
    There really is nothing to worry about. The first 1000 miles is your "break in" period. Look at you owner's manual and it will tell you to avoid jack rabbit starts, sudden stops, don't rev the engine, and don't drive on a set speed for long periods of time. Vary your speed.
    Mack
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I suspect that what you are describing, trying to describe, is the latest, 2009 iteration, of Toyota/Lexus' FWD & F/AWD transaxle shifting problem.

Google for:

wwest abolition ncf
    Mr Mackabee, You seem to be an expert on Camry issues. Can you give it nfo on some things which i need to take care during the initial break in period of the car?
    I read the manual and i don't use cruise control or rev the engine.

But i would like to know if can go for long drives and drive at a speed of 65 to 70?
    Also right now when i accelerate from a red light, i take it very very slowly so that it does not put pressure on the engine. (is it the correct way to drive?).

I feel the jerk while the gear shifts from 1 to 2 and when i remove my leg from the pedal to decelerate when i see a red light but i read the article (wwest abolition ncf) and got some info.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    You can go 65-70, but not for long periods of time - you need to vary the RPMs to get it broken-in properly. Also, do not baby it, just drive normally (but not if normal for you is flooring it after every stop.
    I got it. I think i have been baby driving the car. But will the little jerk which i am experiencing while the car moves from 1st to 2nd gear go once the 1000 mile break in is over?

Can i go on long drives of 2 hours in a single strech before the 1000 mile break in?
    Believe it or not---I have a 08-4cylinder--it has 6600 miles and it does shift better--smoother after driving it awhile------------was disappointed at first---
    You can drive it for 300 hundred miles if you want. Just vary your speed. For example you can go up to 70mph but only if passing another vehicle or needing to get on the expressway and merge into traffic. Try staying on your right lane for slower traffic.
    If you continue to experience the "jerk" from 1st to 2nd gear take it to your Toyota dealer and have them check it out.
    Mack :shades:
  • bourne1bourne1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all :)
    my first post here
    i bought a 2009 toyota camry basic. this forum has been very helpful to me during the past 1 month,while i was researching for a new car. thanks all.
  • bourne1bourne1 Member Posts: 20
    do anyone know the use of the little thing (in between the map lights and the sunglass holder)?
    Which little thing? Do you have a standard model, LE, or XLE, SE? is it bluetooth equipped? If it is then the mic is in the same place that the map lights are.

:shades:
    Thanks Mr Mackabee, I am planning for a long drive which would be close to 450 Miles (one way) so around 900 Miles two ways. when I would start the trip i would have clocked around 850 Miles on my car. (so during the trip i would cross the 1000 mile mark).
    Please let me know if it is fine to go for the long drive. Can i vary my speeds from 65 to 75 on the freeways? When would be the safest mileage limit after which i can start using cruise control?

I also feel a little slowness in the transmission while starting the car in the mornings but after sometime it becomes normal.

I am planning to take the vehicle to dealer in case i find the jerk in transmission not going away even after clocking a couple of 100 miles.

Thanks.