Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Problems with 07 Dodge Caliber SXT

pixiistixxpixiistixx Member Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in Dodge
Please let me know if anyone else is having this problem or what to do to fix the stupid thing...or rather, make the dealer fix it.

My first thought-throwout bearing...it's a manual(duh) but sometimes...and not all the time esp when i take it to the dealer....if i let the clutch out and let it sit in nutural it sounds like a dang john deer green tracter...it's SOOOO loud...people will actually look at the car and give me a dirty look like i'm a horrible driver...but when ever i bring it in they say that it wont do it....i had it at one dealership that put on almost 200 miles and told me that they couldn't make it duplicate...when i went up there on the weekend, when mind you, the service manager SAID he would be there, to go for a ride with me...he had gone home sick...WITHOUT a phone call or anything...that dealer ship is about 40mins away.....not happy...so we got up there and they had some kid go with us that it didn't even matter because he's just a monkey with his thumb up his...well you know what i mean....anyways...the kid said that he had heard the same thing that i was hearing and agreed that there was a problem...i found out after that he told the service manager another story...so the sound...is like this....when it does it mind you...it sounds like there's a marble inside a spray can and you shake it or when we were kids we put a deck card on the spoke of a bike and it would make that sound...anyways if you put your had on the LOWER bottom part of the tranny...right under the car you can actually feel it doing this...cute right? but you can also feel it in the engine and it tends to shake more then it should...

the dealership first told me that it was nutral gear rollover and it's normal there is nothing that they can do about it...then they told me that it was drive train making sounds...again normal. they had a chrysler guy come in to look at it but we couldn't meet him? we asked prolly 10 times why we couldn't talk to the chrysler rep about the car and to no ones surprise they wouldn't give us an answer....now the car started this rattle shaking sound (did i mention when it does this it shakes the whole damn car?!) it only had 1500 miles on it...it's up to 9400 now...still...wont stop and now it's interesting...i can let the clutch out not give it any gas and it will drive in first gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear...on it's own...

let me explain this one better.
1st gear i can let off the clutch not give it any gas and it will move on it's own...normal? yes. but not up a hill and doing 10-12mph on it's own...i've never had a manual do that!

2nd gear...i can shift into second from first(not using any gas AT ALL to get my mph and rpms up) and it will still cruise along at about 10-12mph on it's own...just kinda chills and bakes around...safety issue maybe??

oh did i forget to mention...yes i did...rpm's are constantly sitting at 750 rpm....maybe MAYBE once in awhile hitting 1,000rpm....when it drives...by itself...all alone...

3rd gear...it will buck a little if i attempt this without having more momentem going...but still i can let it go and it'll drive by itself....4th gears the same

i brought it to ANOTHER dodge dealership and they told me that this is normal for ALL manual transmissions....to drive on their own because the engine idle has to be up.....to MY understanding it's normal in first and reverse....but i have never ever heard of a manual doing it all the way to 4th gear. the clutch isn't sticking...all the other manuals that i have driven, if you are in first gear and let it go without giving it any gas...letting the clutch out so the car gets the idle up like you are supposed to...but forgetting about the big pedal...you know the one that FEEDS the car...anyways all the other manuals if at some point you didn't give them gas they would die...odd i say, yes.

then...i had to have the back driver side passenger window trim ordered and put in do to heat shrinking...in winter...in february...in minnesota...it heat shrunk...hm....pluss the back window (on the gate) the trim had to be redone there...and the monkey that ATTEMPTED to complete this simple..simple task that i honestly think a monkey could have done better....SUPER GLUED the window trim...(not a new window trim...the same one that was on)glued the left side corner that came off about 4 inches of trim....glued it back on.....SIDEWAYS...literally....the trim twisted so that the opening where it is supposed to be...yeah...totally open to water...plus he scratched it...they put a chip in the gate...which within oh i don't know 3 weeks had rust!...IN SUMMER....-sigh-....i have to have "strut caps" put on the back because when ever i hit a bump it squeaks like a mouse...the gate is sooooo lose i swear to *god* it's going to fall off...they attempted to tighten this to...with no luck..

now when i use the back windsheild sprayer...the front one looks like it's trying to pee...and squirts the windshield...my automatic locks....gave up...not sure why..not sure how..just...gave up

my aux cable plug in is lose...i can wiggle it with my fingernail...

everytime i bring it in the stupid monkies that work there...some how....forget to put the paper matts down and everything...my car looks like a grease bomb went off and i have to ASK them to frickin' clean it...okay...wait

let me explain how ANAL i am about this car...every 2500 miles...OIL CHANGE...and it only gets the mopar filter and yesssss, i know it can only have the 5w-20.

winter i'm slacking on the cleaning....badly...because it's tooo damn cold to sit out there....but durring summer...yeah we have our "bonding time"...she gets cleaned for 3 hours...each week top to bottom. EVERYTHING is removed. the back cargo area is scrubbed spotless...if for any reason my monster dogs somehow get mud into the car... every single cubic inch of that car is cleaned...if i can find one dog hair or cat hair or person hair....the duct tape comes out and i tape the whole inside of the car. it has never and will never be smoked in...i don't allow food into it...unless it is placed onto the floor matt (i keep a small rubber one in the back for fast food) because my finace wanted McD's and set it inbetween his lap in the bag...and low and behold i had a huge grease stain on my seat...which i finally got out.

there is a specific blanket that goes across the whole back inside of the car for the dogs to lay on...and if we get rain or hail? well hail...i will go sleep in the car in the car wash that's just up the street to keep it from getting dents.

it may not be that nice of a car to everyone else...but she's my baby and if i'm good to her...maybe one day...she'll return that favor...once the bugs get worked out....

now my question lol...has anyone had any of the problems that i'm facing?? with the engine/tranny/dealership....and if anyone is a mechanic..i'm not calling you a monkey...just the monkies that wor

Comments

• bigtsrbigtsr Member Posts: 149
    I understand your feelings re dealers and while it is easy for me
    to say find another dealer not everyone is able to or has 20 dealers
    within 40 minute drive.
    As for messing up the trim or any repair first time is an accident
    after that is incompetence.
    Your noises from clutch have been noted by others and some
    have had satisfactory resolution because they have found good
    dealerships,follow the link to see one owners resolution with
    the noisey clutch.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66717#post66717

Hope you get it resolved,I am at 22,000 km and no problems to date.
  • steve9633steve9633 Member Posts: 4
    sounds like you simply have a bad clutch. If you are not recieving top quality service from your dealer you should call diamler chrystler head office, there is a phone # in your owners manual. this # is a direct line to Diamler chryster. I to have a Caliber SXT it has sqeeky shocks and problembs stalling and it is very hard on gas ( 12 to 14 mpg) they are :lemons my sugestion is to get rid of it before the warranty runs out, that is what i am going to do or maby consider trading it in on an 08 model because first model years always have bugs that need to be worked out">
  • pixiistixxpixiistixx Member Posts: 4
    thank you so much for both your comments...i have it up at the one of the dodge dealerships here...which i found out that two of my fiance's friends work there...so hopefully it will get fixed...they are going to try to get it lemoned for me...seeing as how badly these little cars are dropping in price...with only 9440miles on mine it's worth about...9-10grand....considering i bought it 11 months ago for 19500...that's a horrible drop..i love the car and it's sad to think that i might not have it again :cry: ....i'm way to scared to buy another one...if this lemon thing works...maybe i'll just get another one...depending on how hard the process is...i know dodge and chrysler are pretty bad about this....but still the cali is my baby and i really miss that car...i fell head over heals for it...

lol my loaner car is a chrysler pacifica...and let me tell you...i miss my gas mileage! i was getting like 26-28mpg city and almost 36hwy with the cali....this MONSTER car...lol it only gets like 18...but i love the awd...living in minnesota kinda makes awd a blessing...i guess you have to chose your poision....gas mileage...or awd? considering my drive to and from work is only like 20miles a day i guess gas mileage isn't that big of a deal ya know?

thank yo uagain, both, for being so helpful ;)
    Well I am glad you found a dealer with possible allies on the inside.
    Over the years I have bought many new cars and it is common for them
    tto lose 2000-3000 dollars right of the lot and then the same in the first
    full year after that.
    If you paid $18,000.00 after a full year I can't see it being worth less than
    $12,000.00 in a private sale unless it was abused or as it happens had
    a bad service history.
    Anyway good luck hope you resolve your problems.
    i no longer own the caliber...i traded it i think a week ago now...yeah a week ago...we have friends that work at one of the dealerships here and they apologized for not knowing about my car having been in there shop...i'm sure it was a :lemon: but that's okay it's off my hands now thank god...they gave me 14k for it which was insane because they don't sell for that up here....i ended up getting an 06 chrysler pacifica...and besides the gas mileage drop..i love it! i'd never ever go back to the caliber again...sad to say cause it was a fun little car :P
  • taramichelle32taramichelle32 Member Posts: 1
    You can also look up the lemon laws in your state, follow the instructions and possibly get a new car or your money back.

www.lemonlawamerica.com

:mad:
    Yes if your are a disgruntled car owner in the US you have the lemonlaws
    to fall back on,however in many parts of the world there are no such procedures
    as that set in place.
    In Canada we have an arbitration process(which I have never used) that
    supposedly is open for that purpose.
  • nebredsxtnebredsxt Member Posts: 8
    While driving my Caliber home from work, my transmission overheat light came on....I pulled over to check the manual...it said the light will come on when driving in extremely hot conditions...only problem was that it was 3 below zero at the time! The light went off and I was able to limp home....10 mph....I had it towed to the dealer and am told the CVT is toast...I have 49,300 miles on my caliber...and have always maintained it religiously...it is out of warranty, but I did purchase an extended warranty thru CNA. CNA is flying an inspector in to certify the CVT is shot and to authorize a replacement, in the meantime they are paying for a rental car for me. My dealer has never seen a tranmission melt down like this one did! I will let you know how it turns out!!! :sick:
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    I'm curious to know if it started making "chirping sounds"...I have chirping noises coming from the side of the engine that houses the CVT. I don't want to take it in unless I have to...anybody have any ideas? I only hear thiese noises when the engine is idling below one thousand rpm's.
  • nebredsxtnebredsxt Member Posts: 8
    Mine made no unusual noises....one minute everything is good...I am clipping along at 60 with the radio on...then, the transmission overheat light comes on and I can't make more than 25 mph.....I am on a couple of the caliber forums...I have found two others with the same problem....both were at about the 50,000 mile mark...but, there are several calibers out there with more miles and zero problems....just luck of the draw I guess!!
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    I've just read in a few articles online that u r supposed to take the car in every 15K miles and get the fluid checked in the CVT. It's green colored and runs about $30 bucks a quart! *OUCH*. The dealerships are supposed to have special dipsticks to check the fluid levels. I may get this done tomorrow and see if the fluid may be low before I burn something up.
  • steve9633steve9633 Member Posts: 4
    :lemon: ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    To: noreply@edmunds.com
    Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:42:37 -0400
    Subject: Re: [Edmunds.com Forums] New message in Problems with 07 Dodge Caliber Sxt
    I am currently having the same problemb with my caliper. I took it to the dealer but they refuse to admit that there is a problem. the check engine light is coming on about once a week now and when it does the engine will not rev above 3500 rpms. I have taken it in 5 times now but the dealer which is Moffet Dodge Chrystler ,, in St Stephen N.B Canada only resets the computer but they will not tell me what the problem is . I think that the calibers are junk and chrystler is hoping that the engines and transmitions will last untill the warrenty expires then its not there problem i am certain that if there was no warranty that they would find the problem..I will never buy another chrystler as long as i live! Infact I am Comsidering geting 2 big magnets for the side of my car with the word "LEMONS" writen in bright yellow letters and advertise that for chrystler...

On Feb 7, 2008 2:16 PM, Edmunds.com Forums wrote:
    i'm really sorry to hear abou that...how old is your car...? they would only give me $9600 for mine and it was 11 months old with 9600 miles on it or so...i miss the car because i thought it was really nice looking...but after like 2000miles it started to turn into a rattle trap...so i'm glad to say that i am rid of it!

i ended up geting -slaps forehead- a chrysler pacifica...but so far so got...i honestly LOVE this car...it's a little bit of a gas hog...but it's a lot bigger...and for the one little simple fact that i have two big dogs(german shepherd/wolf hybird and a pure bred husky) i needed something bigger than the caliber....a lot bigger...i'm made at myself for going with another chrysler car but so far so good...i've had it a month and nothing...the caliber was acting up at 1500miles...so it would have been about 2 months to 2 1/2 months old...the pacifica's an 06 too and it had less miles then my car did ! the lady that owned it was a doctor...she traded it for a 08 chevy equinox...not a big fan of them i drove the 05 or 06 equinox and hated it! water stained the seat....not a very nice car...the dash was really odd too..

hope you can find some luck with your cali...maybe you should dump it too like i did :P

good luck! i hope it gets better! :blush:
  • canadacalibercanadacaliber Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone had problems with thier CV Joints. My car has been making off and on grinding noises when I turn the steering wheel since before Christmas of 2008
    Took it to the dealer and they told me they "tightened up some loose bolts" Exactly a month later its back and worse. Monday they put it on the hoist and the mechanic told me they are replacing both axles! Figures its a cold issue....something to do with the grease not circulating in the CV joint....
  • spathe1spathe1 Member Posts: 10
    i had the same problem with cv joints in my '08 caliber. The dealer tightened the bolts about a month after I bought it. Since then I haven't noticed problems with them, about 5 months now.
  • djl5djl5 Member Posts: 1
    My horn no longer work. I thought it was a fuse problem, but it's not. I brought the car in 9/2007 & no longer under warranty.
    Any Suggestions?
  • canadacalibercanadacaliber Member Posts: 6
    Took my Caliber in to the dealer and they replaced both axles! Told me it MIGHT fix the problem but he was not sure, and if it got cold again, noise may come back due to the grease not distributing correctly?? Told me to bring it back again if noise continues as it is all warranty work.....
  • tonimarie1tonimarie1 Member Posts: 1
    Last December, I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber. I have had no problems with it unitl recently, it statred making noises and when I took it to the shop, they said my alternator was bad and needed replaced. The caliber only had fourty-seven thousand miles on it. Needless to say, the part alone was not cheap and where I live no one had ever seen an alternator look like the one in the caliber. The part had to come stright from the factory(which took like a week and half to get) Then we had to pray, the mechanic didn't screw it up. :( The factory did how ever take the broke one and gave us a refund, but it wasn't close to what we paid for it. Go Figure!
  • racheldepperacheldeppe Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem with mt 07' dodge calibar. Does anyone have any idea of the part name or number fro the alternator? If you don't mind me asking aprox. how much did you spend to repair it and do you think it was worth it? I'm behind in my payments, insurance and registration , I'm not sure if i should fix it or not. I don't even know if I can trade it in. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • scctwcscctwc Member Posts: 1
    When I was sitting at a red light my caliber just completely shut down - lights and everything went off. Then it would not restart - just completely dead. I tried several times and then finally it started back up. Took to the dealer since still under warranty, and they said they could not find anything wrong. It has 30 thousand miles. I have had censors go out four times all seem to be electrical.

I am not sure what to do about this.
  • glb3glb3 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 08 caliber. mine is doing te same thing. they said it needed to be serviced, but its not under warranty, it shuts the car completely down. when your own the interstate or on a side road. the manual says if this happens, tow it. well some one going to get hurt, when their car shuts down and you get hit from behind. why does this seem to be happening to alot of calibers, even different year models. hmmmm. . seems funny to me. the little flashing lighting bolt comes on and no matter where you are, the car just quits. that not good at all. i have little one in my back seat, but chrysler cont care about that. they just want you to let them do all kinds of work and pay them. wheb they cant seem to fix it.
  • 07lemon07lemon Member Posts: 2
    Good luck. I was dealing with the factory direct for the last 60 or 70 days before they finally fixed it. These are the parts that were replaced before they finally after 112 days fixed it. They replaced the Computer, Throttle position sensor, crank sensor, two cam sensors, battery, Complete wiring harness under the hood ( 2 peices ), spark plugs, replaced two plugs on the new wiring harness ( bad out of the box ) and the fuse box under the hood. My car was 6,000 miles over warranty. They stuck me with the first $1000.00 and after that the factory warrantied everthing. After calling and complaining everyday!! They had to have well over $8,000 in parts and labor. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product! I now drive a KIA.
  • ricdog213ricdog213 Member Posts: 2
    I recently took my 07 caliber in to the dealership because there was a knocking in the passenger side of the engine compartment and told them it sounded like one of the bearing were going out on either the idlers or the alternator or the water pump. The inspected and found that the alternator was bad. They explained when they took the alternator off the bearings just fell out. I have 63,000 miles and have only had a concerns. During this issue (n when i was hearing a knocking sound) the ETC light was on and the throttle has been acting up. The caliber seems to have a higher idle in all gears while driving. The car is noticibly louder. Im not sure if the alternator is related but hopefully i will find out today when i get it back from the dealer. Oh ya the total cost for the repair is $530.00. Ouch!! BUt i have an extended warranty to cover the bill. I will post my results.
  • dsimmons3dsimmons3 Member Posts: 1
    Lexan, Let me know how that turns out.
    I took my 07 caliber in for transmisison flush / fluid change. The dealer told me it was a sealed transmission, maintenance free. There was no fluid to change.
  • frbutt2921frbutt2921 Member Posts: 2
    What noise is your car making? Mine just started making a pretty horrific rattling/ clacking sound from the drive belt side of the Engine. I thought maybe it was the power steering pump but after doing a listing test not so sure.
  • guest14guest14 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber about 6months ago right after the warranty goes the cars is making crackling and whining noise I was told that it was the alternator- This is a sucky car I wish I would have read the reviews before I bought it but as soon as I fix this problem this car will be gone I'm not dealing the a unreliable vehicle. Overall the Caliber sucks mechanically just looks good that's all I can say.
  • vanstephvansteph Member Posts: 5
    I'm having the same problem that is mentioned by others - engine periodically stalling when I come to a stop light. Doesn't matter what the weather is or how long it was driven. Contacted Chrysler Customer Support - that's an oxymoron. It's the same-o same-o -- take it to another dealer. Well I did - but they wanted $700 just to look at. Other than this problem, I love the car - but would not recommend others to buy a Caliber. Wish Customer Support would be more supportive.
  • soniaperk926soniaperk926 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm having similar problems with my 07, Caliber. We noticed a buzzing sound coming from the engine, then it got worse, a rattling sound. We we're driving on the expressway when the Transmission Temp light came on, then we heard the buzzing sound slightly as we continued to drive the sound got louder and louder until a sensor went off I guess that was to let us know the temp was getting too high. This happened on a Sunday, so there were no automotive shops open, or dealerships. we were traveling out of town and stopped at a walmart, we told the repair shop what was going on with the transmission temp light coming on and we found out that 2007 Calibers don't come with a transmission fluid stick to even check the fluid level, we were told by the repairman that there was a special fluid that only the dealership can replace if that was the issue

We drove the car all the way back home which was a 7 hr trip not knowing if we were going to make it, home without serious car trouble. The light came on a total of 3 times on the trip. My question to you is: Did you find out what was going on with your caliber,Transmission or Alternator? The rattling noise is quite irritating. We took it in to the dealer when we got back in town, they test drove it and told us they didn't hear the rattling sound or that the car wasn't idling. Don't know what to do.
    Should the Alternator go out on a 2007 caliber with 100,000 miles on it? We are experiencing a rattling noise in the engine. Has anyone had this problem?
    I don't blame you, I know its been a long time since u posted this message, but I own a 2007 calibre and nothings changed. I belive I will get two bright yellow signs too.
  • blaquedymond38blaquedymond38 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem. I have had two pulleys changed as of tonight and it is still not fixed. i am so mad right now and i have only had this car for 9 months. i took it back the first few weeks after i bought it and the dealer stated they could not hear any noise, it was real faint at first. As the months have goine on it has now gotten ridiculously loud. i have already spent 130.00 and still no solution. I guess i will have them check he power steering and altenator next. This CAR SUCKS
  • vecsvecs Member Posts: 1
    I just received the same diagnostic from the Dealer, the only thing is that my Caliber has 41,000 miles!!! I sent it elsewhere for repair, hopefully this will solve the problem and I can live happy!!! I also changed the Fuel pump. :mad:
  • calibreationscalibreations Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I am wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem yet.

My 07 seems to run just fine...really it's a nice drive and good on gas...except once a week or so... coming up to a light, about to stop, it will just stall. It will start back up no problem. I have noticed at times if I'm parked the idle will fluctuate a bit...it will drop and shudder like it's going to stall and then go back to normal, or even idle high.

I took it back to the dealer and there were no engine codes and they are still trying to figure out what it may be. I'm just wondering it anyone else who has this issue ever found a fix?
  • momof3catsmomof3cats Member Posts: 3
    The only problem with my Caliber is since Nov. 2010 when it rains the passenger side foot area in the back seat fills with water. I found were the water was coming from and repaired the area. I thought I repaired the area, when it rained this past weekend, water was back in the back seart foot area. Anyone have this problem? If so how did you fix the leak and were was the leak.
  • tb12tb12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Caliber with 108,000 miles. I am the original owner. Recently, the engine sounds as if it is going to explode it is so loud. I feel I am driving a diesel with the additional rattling noise. Has anyone received a diagnosis that is accurate?
  • puppypantzpuppypantz Member Posts: 1
    I suspect you have a bad alternator decoupler pulley. It's a high failure rate item.
  • momsboy12momsboy12 Member Posts: 2
    i just got a 08 dodge caliber 2.0L and theres a ticking sound coming from the engine, is that normal?? and when im sitting and a stop light and the car is in Drive there a rumble the whole car rumbles, is that fixable??
  • paul8546paul8546 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i also have owned my caliber sence new i have 157000 miles on it and had to replace the TPS sencor and some minor stuff.
    the car started rattleing and pinging. Well no one could figure it out 7 differint shops! well one day last week the noise really got to me so i thought i would try to figure it out my self so i went to the autopart store to buy a stefscope to listen to all the moving parts. after about 2 min.
    i found out it was in fact the alternator i will replace it my self this weekend because it costs 900.00 and up for a repare shop to do it. i will keep u posted. ok so i replaced the alt. and now i have no prob. with the car what so ever. (do not buy a alt from the dealer) the alt. is a common prob. with the caliber buy a after market 115 amp alt. its been 5 months and i still have no noise works great!!!!! any more questions let me know
  • guppy87guppy87 Member Posts: 1
    My car is doing the same thing. Also a family member of mine has the same car and mileage and hers went out and fried the computer.
  • dlandis22dlandis22 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my car in sep 2010, and it is now feb 18 2011. Since I have bought it I have had nothing but problems. For starters I got my tires changed and they were wearing from inside out. I was told to that I need a alignment, so I got that done too.. Well after I got the alignment and started driving my car was pulling hard to the right. I took it back and they told me they forgot to tell me I needed a new camden kit. I got that and it still didnt fix the problem. When I push the accelerator and let go the car speeds up for a sec before it slows back down, which I think is pretty odd. Also when I accelerate or slow down from 5-10 mph you can hear something swishing or scraping. Keep in mind I am slowing down just by releasing the accelerator not using the brakes. Now, I have around 75,000 miles on my car and last month the battery light started popping on and off while I was driving. That finally stopped after about two weeks and then my engine light came on. Then my battery light started popping back on and off while driving. The engine light went off for about two days and now is back on. I have taken it to two people to have it looked at. They have hooked it up to a computer and something about the emissions sonoid? The other person said it wasnt giving any code.. So they still dont know whats wrong with it. I have also noticed that after turning the car off I hear a ticking and the hood is usually pretty hot.. This is from normal driving like to the store and back. Any one else having the same issues? or any ideas? :confuse:
  • teesh5teesh5 Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem where a noise started faint and got increasingly louder...I thought it was a pully but it turned out to be the alternator..cost about 400 to repair..now im having to have a strut replaced...even my mechanic is like your car isnt old enough to have these problems..i barely had this car 3 yrs..i hope nothing else major goes wrong before i can trade in
  • biggie1987biggie1987 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    i had this car for 3 years now and i am constantly having it at the shop
    my headlights kept goin out they were replacing the light buld and it just kept goin out so i started checking it before bringing it in to dodge and here it wasnt burning out it was a wiring problem they said i was luckey the car didnt catch on fire cause the wires in the wire harness were all fried so they had to replace the whole harness so that was that fixed at the same time i was hoping it would fix the idle problem cause when i would stop it would idle up to around 3000 rpms than drop till the car would be litterly shaking but it didnt fix it than i brang it up to get it checked again when my engine light was on and they got a code for the computer and throtle so they fixed them parts and also had to replace my intake valves and the car is still noisy knocking and taping and have a leak in car the passinger side of car fills up with water about 2 3 inches deep and asked them to find the leak cause my underbody on that side is starting to rot out and they said it could cost about 1000.00 to just find the leak and if its a manafacturer body seam that is gone its not covered any water getting in aint covered under warrenty so that sucks big time i still owe 19.000.00 on loan so another 4 years i also had to replace the battery 3 times in the past year and a battery is 170.00 for this car but i never had anything but problems and my car is still doin the idle problem warrenty is up the march 23rd so another 2 weeks and all i can get for a trade in is 5.000.00 so not worth my while and we dont have the lemon law down here and to a full tank of gas which is 60.00 i only get about 350 km to a tank and thats mostley highway driving and i got the lightining bolt problem a couple times and they could still never figure it out but if anyone has any suggestions they can email me or post on here email is davidmacneil@hotmail.ca any suggestions ? and there is only 72000 km on car
  • jzaporjzapor Member Posts: 1
    Having same issue where my horn is not working when pressing from steering wheel, but horn works find for the alarm system. Did anyone find the solution?
  • cinwonderscinwonders Member Posts: 3
    wow, I am having the same rattling problem and I took it to 3 different shops and no 1 can tell me what the problem is except for I may need a tune up. Im @ 79,000 miles... I hope this Alt fix will fix my problem, because I am tired of the noise and the stress of wondering will car break down on me! helpful info... thx!
    you need to trade it in ASAP! those cars aren't made to last... Seriously!
    Im having the same freaking problem, it seems like the mechanics just tune that sound out! I quite loud and irritating!
  • acastro07acastro07 Member Posts: 1
    ok so i own a 2007 dodge caliber sxt. its an automatic... this is the first car i have owned in my own name so i dont kno too much about cars themselves. someone plz lemme kno if they can help or give a suggestion on what to do...

i bought the car about a yr ago and it was used. car already had about 70k miles on it... now has 99k. the car ran perfectly fine when i first bought it and i have kept the minor tune ups goin since i have bought it. if i am driving at a steady speed for a few mins and then i try to accelerate, the car will jerk back and forth like the transmission is slipping or something. i havent taken it to the dealer because its out of warranty and i havent taken it to a shop because im scared of how much it might cost. if i am stopped at a stoplight for a few mins and then go to take off it does the same thing. it kind of shakes if i stay sitting with the car on and its in drive.

anyone have any ideas??
  • jasonmullinsjasonmullins Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a 07 caliber with similar issues with tires and such...Have you checked the ball bearings and tierods...i was told recently after having 4 new tires put on...I have contacted dodge on this issue..check that issue may be your problem..also if it is an 07 you should still be under manufacture warranty for you emissions issue from what i was told from dodge....got to www.dodge.com and get the number from their website...hopefully this helps you out!!!