Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Civic Problems and Repairs

Comments

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 65
    Hi re: Sun shades to help keep the car cooler: I have an older kind of large shade that fans/stretches out across the entire dash, and looks like silver aluminum foil on both sides, Do you know what I'm talking about? Any shade experts out there-- Is this good enough--or are there better shades out there I might want to look into? Thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Wow, $19k for a non-loaded Elantra. There are dealers selling loaded (i.e. Limited) Sonatas for that kind of money. Well, there are other dealers, other deals out there. But since you have set your sights on the Civic, it's a moot point.
    Yes, I too would like to know if you don't mind elaborating what problems you encountered that leave you so regretful--

I too am in the middle of a huge decision and this would be very helpful to take into consideration..

Thanks in advance!
    Canaday wrote: "There are a lot of things I love about this Civic but overall I'm disappointed. Well researched contenders were Civic, Prius, and 09 Corolla. Less than 4000 miles, and have had two trips to service department."

Hi Canaday,

I think I just replied to the wrong person--I meant to reply to you directly--would you mind elaborating (perhaps you have and I missed it) on what your two trips to the service dept. were about? Was it for the A/C as the thread title suggests? Do you have a manual or AT? Thanks again!
  • ladyluck1ladyluck1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your post. I thought it was just me. It almost seems like the faster I go, the more the a/c kicks out. I have noticed when it's idle, it seems to stop blowing cold air, once I accelerate, it starts working again. Interstate is fine, maybe because I'm driving 70 mph. I have 1500 miles on my Civic and in order to prevent numerous visits to the service dept., I'm waiting to have any other issues addressed at the same time.
    I will let them know about the a/c issue when I bring my car. Keep me posted on yours! Thanks!
  • nortcronnortcron Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I've driven my '08 Civic LX for less than 200-300 miles and I'm still not used to the sounds of the VTEC system. First, the rpm randomly shifts from 1500/2000 to 3000 when going up and down hills - and even sometimes when accelerating on the highway. I did some research and I believe this is the Grade Logic Control/Transmission kicking in to cause engine breaking [though I have yet to find official Honda sites saying that this system is in use in the '08 Civic, I only found a reviewer discussing this]. Now I'm noticing that when I start the engine and pull out of a parking lot, the engine sounds like it needs a minute to catch its breath or like I should have waited a bit for it to warm up before pulling out [but its a brand new car!?]. Overall, I feel like I'm working the engine too hard most of the time just by driving regularly. Please let me know any one out there has encountered the same thing and if it is a constant for all Civics and I just need to get used to it - or do I have an issue here? :( Your posts are appreciated.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I have an older kind of large shade that fans/stretches out across the entire dash, and looks like silver aluminum foil on both sides, Is this good enough--or are there better shades out there I might want to look into?

There's not anything particularly better than that. As long as fits the large Civic windshield you should be good. My only recommendation is to not use the car's sunvisor to hold it in place. As I previously posted, I did that originally and there is a known issue of poor design where keeping the sunvisor in the down position in extreme heat causes something weird to happen to the arm that the sunvisor hangs from. Thus, I had to have both of my sun visors replaced.

They were covered by warranty but I still had to spend time taking them in for repair.

The other option is to wedge the sunvisor underneath the rear view mirror so that it remains up or get some separate clips to hold it in place if need be.
    oh, wow--thanks tons jet10000 for the heads up!! :)

It seems many do indeed use the sun visor to prop it up, and I likely would have as well...sorry you had to re-post this to newbies like me--I suppose I will need to take the time to read through all the posts, as clearly there are some very important ones to take note of!

It would be good if someone kept a list of problems to look out for the new civic owner--the salesman I worked with last was the best ever and I don't know if we can name names here (?). He was actually the internet manager and typically doesn't show cars, but I asked for him specifically.

He gave me some really helpful tips--most which are tucked into the manual (but who reads that entire manual initially?) to take note of.

And what was odd (and troubling) was some of his information directly contradicted what the salespeople had just told me!

Anyway, thanks again...Glad it was covered with the warranty....
  • bluetoothlessbluetoothless Member Posts: 15
    Company out of California makes a product called Heat Shield. http://www.heatshieldstore.com/
    They are a canvas company that makes custom cut windshield shades with foil on one side and white other. Have bought them for every car in my family and make a big difference in South Florida. Mid $30s-$40s and worth every penny.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    Checked out the posted link. They use the Sun Visors to hold it up. Advertise that as being superior to other methods. A little pricey, too. Bought two. One for my '08 Civic LX, and one for my brother's '05 Accord. He will use it more than me, will let you know how it works.
  • alexandyalexandy Member Posts: 16
    Hello: I posted the below in the Honda Coupe forum but it applies just as well to the Sedan...Would appreciate your thoughts/feedback!

Just wondering what you all think about and would do about the following...:
    traded 05 Accord DX in on 07 Civic Coupe EX mid-year 2007. Started having Tire wear issues and at ~6,000 miles, brought it in to dealership (at this time, no TSB had been issued) Basically got the run-around and they tried to sell me new tires. Ended up replacing the stock Bridgestone Turanza with 17" Yokohama S-drives on Honda Factory Performance 7-spoke wheels (not at the dealer). Again, started seeing tire wear problems and stumbled upon the TSB about the same time. Called local dealers and only 1 had even heard of an performed the TSB. I asked if they had the proper equipment to perform alignment (last step) and was told they didn't but would order. Opened up Case with Honda America. Over month later, parts came in but they didn't get the proper alignment equipment (Hunter Alloy Clamp). Again, called Honda America. Started performin "Very frequent" tire rotations in vain attempt to prevent tires from cupping. Finally agreed to install our Accord V6 wheels on the Civic so the closest dealer could perform the TSB...ordered parts, took over 2 weeks to come in. Performed the TSB but couldn't do the alignment "Unless the original 16" wheels were on the car" aahhh. After another week, the dealer finally agreed to swap wheels just to perform the alignment (by the way, while doing the TSB, Dented the lower body panel just in front of left rear wheel...still trying to get that fixed. Got new Yokohame S-drives installed by local tire dealer and am now waiting on Honda America...I have spent $1,352 on tires/mounting/balancing and have just over 15k miles (Our 06 Accord has ~34k miles and original tires are about 1/2 worn. I get the feeling in discussions with my Case Manager (Brian Perez) that they are going to give me "little, if anything" as compensation because I changed tires the first time "On my own" and these 2nd set of tires were "Pretty well worn out" (due to the Alignment problem). I feel like "punting" and moving over to Toyota after this. Thoughts? What would you do?
    thanks,
    Gary
    Decided to Punt today...Honda America called and sure enough, they found an excuse to deny me money for tires. When I initially brought the car into Royal Honda of Metairie, LA (around 6K miles) to inquire about the abnormal tire wear, there wasn't a Service Bulletin issued yet and the Dealer was just trying to sell me a set of tires. They neglected to document the visit so Honda America is denying this portion of the claim. Tried applying logic, asking how the replacement Yokohama S.Drives wore out in less than 6K mile (between 9k and 15k miles) but the original tires wouldn't have worn out. Told him I would call the Dealership to see if they could fix the problem. Left message, then went to the Dealership and got the "Silent Treatment"..."Uh, we can't help you", "Uh, nothing we can do", etc.
    that was the straw that broke the camel's back...I then called my Insurance Company to file a claim for the Damage done at this dealership (huge dent near left rear wheel). Made appt with closest Toyota dealer and will be trading 06 Accord for Camry and trading 07 Civic as soon as bodyshop finishes work. Maybe because I've had so few problems in the last 25 years with Honda these recent problems seem bigger..? That Honda wants me to pay for their mistake and use one of their crappy dealerships as the excuse is what "gets my goat".
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    I wouldn't consider that to be trading up (Accord for a Camry, especially when you didn't say there's anything wrong with the car) and I don't believe it's going to be cost effective as compared to getting the control arms replaced and driving the Civic. Maybe you should switch dealers for the warranty work and consider a private mechanic for everything else. Try Click and Clack's website for local mechanic recommendations.
    Well, as expected Honda considers this power management issue with the A/C compressor cutting off a "characteristic" of the vehicle. Even though it was acknowledged with a TSB #07-062 fix by a supposed re-flashing of the ECU corrected this problem and any vehicles manufactured since have this updated software I am not content with its performance. I will be intouch with American Honda.
  • julievill1julievill1 Member Posts: 1
    My car is doing the exact same thing. I took it in yesterday and was given the same story about it being a charcteristic of the 08 civics. Of course this is after the technician said that he drove it and didn't notice it.
    Despite following directions from American Honda I got the suggestion from them to take it to another dealer w/o telling them of previous attempt.
    Since my local dealer acknowledged the symptoms we all are describing, but didn't "diagnose" it as a problem American Honda will not pursue it any further.

Anyone know a class action attorney???????

Have an 05 Odyssey that dozens in that forum have complained about alignment issue with multiple TSBs and no working solution found yet.

How do we get Honda's attention?
    Your right, Accord -> Camry isn't necessarily up and there isn't anything wrong with the Accord (knock on wood). At this point, it won't be cost effective but...I'm currently out ~$872 because Honda America is "cheap" and can get out of paying by putting the blame on the dealership (who didn't document a visit properly). I'm still out ~$500 because of another dealership/issue. Honda's are supposed to be "Cost Effective" but when I lose ~$1,400 over the course of 1 year, that just plain sucks. I guess that's a hidden cost that Intellichoice and others don't know about. I had addressed some other reasons for buying Camry over Accord above and noticed another last night...go to safercars.gov and watch the Frontal Crash Video for the Accord...The Side Airbags deploy when they "Are Not Supposed To"! Between the new Civic and now the new Accord, Honda's quality control has gone "Way Down". It's not the same Honda that I started buying in 1983...On a side note, after looking pretty closely at Hyundai, it's very tough to deny them. Naturally, not a fan of big rebates but...for what you get it's pretty amazing. People complain about the Japanese Paint (Honda Especially)...Hyundai uses a very similar (slightly refined) method as BMW. They produce their own Steel, the robots used to assemble most Hondas and Toyotas are made by Hyundai...I could go on and on.
    Gary
    I'd consider Hyundai, but I wouldn't take a bath on a car that works (Accord) to do so just because I had my butt up in the air over how Honda treated me and I wouldn't give up on the Civic just yet. Drive the Accord until it's a problem and see what you can do on your own with the Civic, and that includes buying aftermarket adjustable rear control arms and having an alignment shop install them.
  • gjslutzgjslutz Member Posts: 3
    Our 2008 EXL sedan had cupping on the inside, and the fatory replaced them @ 13K. I was alos told this was the first report, back in March. The dealer did all they could to make me happy. If we have 2 people in the rear it feels if we are over loaded. I have looked for better springs or air bags. I have not found anything that would keep stock height. :(
  • gjslutzgjslutz Member Posts: 3
    cz75, I have not been able to find any spring that will only lower the car1/2". That would be great to find a stiffer spring. I don't want to kill the ride, just firm it up to haul 4 people. I have a Lotus 7 for a handling car. The 08 Civic sedan is her car, I just need to make it safe. I will also need to remove the junk OEM tires soon as I doubt if they will make 25K miles. :confuse:

Do you have any part#'s on the springs with the 1/2" drop?
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    We bought a 2006 Civic EX sedan new in Oct 2005 and while the AC seems to work well at cruise speeds I too have noticed the compressor cut off at idle (as in waiting at stop lights) and it will start to blow warm to hot air out the vents. Apparently Honda has only now addressed the problem with this TSB and dealers are still trying to convince owners this is "normal". It may be but I won't accept it now that a reflash is available. So, what we have is 2006-07-08 cars with this issue and Honda may have finally acknowledged it though individual dealers may not have.
    Regarding the rear tire wear, that may be one of the few "problems and issues" our early built 2006 Civic does NOT have though the tire wear of the Bridgestones seems poor being more than 1/2 worn @ 17K miles.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Had this done last week, even though never felt this particular issue, along with the water pump recall and the rear control arms replaced. I still need to send my tire receipts to Honda in hopes that they'll send me back some $, but doubt that they will. Besides that, car's humming along nicely at 16.6k on the odo. Got her detailed on Wednesday and looks great...having the kids drive it for their vacation in August left the inside too messy for me to deal with.
    Bought her a new chrome extender for the tail pipe also and even though it looks like the old one, a bit more finished looking. The one last thing I'd like to get is some kind of clear rubber mats to just go over the carpeted one's that came with the car. Is there such an animal like the nice one's i saw in my boss's RX350 today? Hers fit over her carpeted mats just fine. Anyone know where these can be purchased?

The Sandman :)
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    The one last thing I'd like to get is some kind of clear rubber mats to just go over the carpeted one's that came with the car.

You mean something like this?

http://www.autoseattle.com/lloyd_protector_mats.htm
  • jnp1941jnp1941 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a new 2008 Civic EXL loaded and have done about 1400 miles. We are very satisfied with the car but had noticed occasionally going downhill that the engine seemed to be braking the vehicle, which I thought might be a good thing. Most other vehicles I have owned seemed to gather speed going down hill which required pedal braking. Other than this I have not experienced the other engine speeds you talk about. We were amazed at the gas mileage on our first round trip of 600 miles 600 miles ago we got between 34 and 40 MPG mostly cruising at 68 MPH with ac on, about 45 miles of this was around town. I have not encountered air conditioning problems as I have read about on other forums.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The downhill engine braking you refer to is the "grade logic" function/feature of the automatic transmission. The Civic has had this since 2006 I believe, at least our 2006 has it as well. The vehicle senses a downhill (uphill as well) drive and the transmission shifts down a gear or more than one depending the severity of the grade and keeps the car in that gear or possibly upshifts one gear if the grade lessens. On downhill runs this reduces the need to use the brakes, on uphill runs it minimizes gear hunting (or downshifting then quickly shifting up again only to downshift once again over and over).
  • shelley2605shelley2605 Member Posts: 2
    So i took my honda civic in for the regular 10,000 mile service car was running great just needed the called for maintence. I Got my car back later that day and i found that i had to have my car jump starte 4 times in 2 days. and i pushed started it a few times because of it being stick. I hooked it up to a battery tester at work and that was fine but when you start the car The altinator is not charging correctly. When the car is running it has a very rough and loud idle and almost sounds like an old diesle vw or benz. I took to dealer ship and they say nothing is wrong with it. so i fill it up the other day and i got about 10 mpg and now the gas gauge is not working properly. IE car is full but reading quarter tank or half tank. and noise has gotten louder coming from engine. Im very dissatisfide with this car at this point. i have bad treadwear as everyone has spoke of. :sick: Im just to the point were i take the car to the dealer and they look at me as if im stupid because im a girl but i drive a tow truck and work on my own cars. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?????? if so what was wrong and how do i get it fixed
  • ricetickricetick Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a new honda civic 08 about 3 weeks ago. I took it to the dealership yesterday because when i crank up the car, i can feel a vibration which never happened before. After I took the car back the next day, it took me longer than usual to start up the car. The dealership said that is probably because they haven't start the car in a long time, but I went to Vegas over the weekend and didn't touch the car for 3 days and it didn't happen to me. Right now I will just wait and try the car for a couple more days to see what is happening to it. Let me know how is your car doing. Thanks
    Weak alternators might be the reason for the power distribution issues that hamper the performance of the Air Conditioners also? The engine compartment is so small I wonder if they had to engineer a fitted model that cannot output the amperage needed?
  • will26will26 Member Posts: 62
    I have an 07 but last winter one day the car wouldn't start. Granted it was like 20 below but I didn't think something like that should have happened. It started later in the day and I took it to the dealer. They couldn't figure it out and said the battery checked out fine. After talking with them a while they decided to replace the battery anyway. It's never "not started" again but what I've always noticed with this car that after it sits for a long period of time say over night, it always takes more cranks to turn over. It gets to the point where I think it won't start. Could this be an alternator issue? Or maybe a starter issue? Anyone have any ideas. Thanks!
  • shelley2605shelley2605 Member Posts: 2
    hard starting is a touchy subject with mine I wanted to say it was the altinator wich i still think it is. I have yet to get my car working correctly. I do believe that the altinator has an issue it makes clicking noises. But yeah it is definatly an annoying quirk the car has.
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Member Posts: 29
    my 08 4door sedan so far has 4,800miles. bought in jan 1st 08. cranking seems to fine, no failed start nothing of that sort. happy so far, almost time for first oil change..

my other car nissan sentra 94 didn't start today(didn't even crank!) the mechanic said i need a new battery and a starter! ....... may be some civics have a bad solenoid or something... just my thoughts :confuse: :confuse:
  • ricetickricetick Member Posts: 6
    I started my car today in noon and after like 1 second after I started it, I experienced a horrible shake for about 3 seconds, any idea why is this happening? I am very disappointed and frustrated right now since it is a brand new car (only 3 weeks) :cry:
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    If you do not use your brakes on a downhill it does not downshift. If you use them gently and barely touch 'em, and also don't leave your foot on the brake pedal very long, it does not down shift either. I noticed this first with a vehicle I owned a couple years ago, which was also a 4 banger. It was a Toyota Tacome 4x2 base model. There's a couple downhills where I first noticed it with the Tacoma, and when I drove the Civic on the same hills it shifted the same. After the Tacoma I had a Sienna 6 cylinder, and it, too, did it. To get back to higher gear on the downhill you have to punch the gas pedal to the floor real quick. Like we used to have to do years ago to get the choke to turn off on a carburetor. Works most of the time. These auto trannies have come a long way! They work great.
  • jennymagujennymagu Member Posts: 1
    I recently (about two months ago) bought a brand new '08 two door civic. I am a first time new car buyer but I felt confident buying a civic because of their reputation. A few weeks after I bought the car I noticed that the second power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) in the center compartment did not work. I figured no big deal, I will bring up the issue at the first oil change. This past weekend, though, I drove to Reno where it was hot and decided to try out the air conditioning for the first time. When I turned on the AC the buttons lit up like are supposed to but the air was no cooler than just running the fan. I tried various times to get it to work and even had other people try too. I'm taking the car in on Saturday to be looked at. Does anyone else have these problems? Is it normal to have various things not working on a brand new civic? :confuse:
  • jonesbb630jonesbb630 Member Posts: 31
    This is not normal for a civic in my view. Sounds like a bad fuse for the AC. However, the outlet I believe is on a different fuse and would be unikely to have two fuses gone bad on a new civic. Good luck and hope this does not put a bad tast in your mouth. I can't se this being a big problem for them to fix.
    so i went to the service to get my first oil change (car has 5000miles so far) and they found a engine oil leak near timing chain. They said they had to reseal and said its fixed. anybody have or had this problem? what is with the quality of HONDA nowadays? where is the quality control? This is a 2008 model that still has the same problem! God , just 5000 miles..... good thing i bought extended warranty. Something tells me that this car won't be reliable in the future... sigh

edit: found some more information over the 8thcivic site..... seems to be a common problem

mine was-The 24-mm sealing bolt on the timing chain end of
    the engine.

Engine Oil Leaks
    SYMPTOM
    The engine leaks oil.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    Some engine block sealing bolts may have been
    mismanufactured, causing the engine oil to leak when
    the engine is running.
    VEHICLES AFFECTED
    4-Door:
    From VIN1HGFA1...6L000001 thru
    1HGFA1...6L058027
    From VIN2HGFA1...6H500001 thru
    2HGFA1...6H505400
    From VINJHMFA1...6S000001 thru
    JHMFA1...6S005042
    2-Door:
    From VIN2HGFG1...6H500001 thru
    2HGFG1...6H523216
    The oil leaks can be in up to four places:
    • The 24-mm sealing bolt on the timing chain end of
    the engine.
    • The 24-mm sealing bolt on the transmission end of
    the engine.
    • The 20-mm sealing bolt behind the alternator.
    • The 20-mm sealing bolt behind the power steering
    pump.
    Wow, my oil change is coming due soon. At least they told you, I'm impressed! I'm like you though, I bought a Honda thinking the quality was way above average; so far I can't say this is the best car I've ever had.
    ladyluck1. When i first went there, they changed oil and everything and said the car is good to go. I return home and i read the technician comments: saying that their is minor power steering leak. (i was obviously mad because nobody in the service center told me about this.)

Two days after, i went their again to take care of the "power steering leak", and upon inspection they said it wasn't the pwr steering and it was the ENGINE oil leak!.

I hope it is permanently fixed. The service advisors did follow thru and answered all of my questions and were patient. But my biggest gripe is the quality of Honda vehicles, particularly the civic.

FYI! these leaks don't show up in the driveways , so you have to look underneath the vehicle to spot these leaks !

My last and final complaint about this vehicle is the Accelerator response! the DBW system is flawed!, The vehicle has response delay of like 0.5sec before it would react to the throttle response. FLOOR the car and u will see what i mean! :mad:
    H&R #51868-55, 3/4" drop.

You may try factory Si springs instead.
    Yeh, I know what you mean. I can't figure out what my car does when it accelerates, I gave up trying to figure it out. So I really don't know if it's running right or not. I guess we shouldn't have to wonder huh?

I'm taking my car for it's oil change the end of next week, I'll let you know how it goes. After keeping up with the posts I feel I need to ask them to double check the tires for abnormal wear and engine leaks. If I looked under the car I wouldn't know what I was looking for.

Good luck with your civic, I hope this was the end of your leaks, at least they were honest and fixed it for you. That's a big plus!
    Many issues related to AC cooling inconsistencies mentioned in this and other civic forums esp. 2006-2008.
    We need to start a petition(or class action) regarding this so they will flash the ECUs with another update, or replace the weak altenators.
    Second cigarette outlet in console will not power lighter, but is intended for electronics. It is mentioned in owner's manual.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Go back to the dealer with the info on the a/c reflash and have them do it. Took mine in and they did it with no questions asked. End of story!

The Sandman :)
    did anybody notice any increase in mpg or performance per say after the first oil change? :confuse:
    Have not reached that milestone yet, but have noticed rpms dropped from 4100 to 3500 in sixth gear while cruising at 80mph sometime after break in period. The car is still very short geared to offset meager 139 ft/lb of torque.
  • xxyxxy Member Posts: 16
    I got my first oil change on last monday. It was approaching 7000 miles and the oil life was still at 30%. Since I had a rule with previous vehicles to change the oil every 5000 miles I took it in. The service manager said he would do it this time but in the furture to wait until the oil life is at 15% or the wrench icon appears. I have the extended warranty on it. I took a day off from work not knowing how long it would take-it was ready to go in an hour-including tire rotation-asked about the cupping issue they claimed to know nothing about it. I have not checked the mpg since the oil change but will on the next fillup since you asked. Best I have received so far is 41.5 mpg on the interstate at average of 70mph with a/c.
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    I got my 08 Civic two weeks ago. Last night I was driving with the driver's window open and when I got home I noticed a line in the speedmeter's screen.
    I have tried to clean it with glass cleanser but it did not work. I am thinking that maybe a little stone caused the problem while I was driving in the freeway.
    what I can I do? Can I tell the dealer to change the screen under the warranty?
    Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't think I understand how you think a stone from the road would put a line in the speedometer screen's shield.

The thing is, don't tell them this. If it was damaged by something you did (a rock,etc) warranty won't cover it.
    I agree... I think a stone hitting your speedometer screen is really a one in a trillion chance. Maybe it was already like that and you just noticed it? I would just tell the dealer about the line and wouldn't mention the a rock hitting it. I'm not saying to lie...you really don't know what happened. Good luck and let us know how it goes ;)
  • cuysecocuyseco Member Posts: 45
    Thank you guys for your advices. I went to the dealer and they ordered the speedometer screen for this coming Monday.
    I did not say anything to the dealer about the stone :)
  • thuovthuov Member Posts: 1
    My AM reception is quite good. My car has the Navigation System. It's an EX-L 4 door. I am having the rear alignment issues though. I would like to see the TSB on that if there is one for the 2008 model.

Todd