Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Journey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
What did you pay for your Journey?

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    We bought a 2007 Chrysler pacifica AWD Touring Aug.31 07. Because 08 is the last of the PAC I have looked at the Journey in several web sites and was really interested in if this was the PAC's replacement. The outside looks a lot like the PAC.
    However, The Journey is a left over form Daimlers ideas on how to make more money, but make cheap. The insides of the Journey have the same old cheap plastic as in the Jeep Compass/Patroit/ Caliber. The seats were smaller than other brands of vans this size, and fit and finish were ok but sure lackes a quality look and feel. The out side is quite plane and no chrome except the grill.
    The Journey I saw had the three row seating, air. and the 2.4L 4 cyl 4 speed outo trans. The price was just below $24,000.
    The 2.4 L engine is at best not very powerful, but with the added weight of a van it's not a good choice!
    My take, if Chrysler LLC. does not get some quality interiors in their vehicles then KIA has a better chance of becoming #4 in sales, not Chrysler LLC. I am very glad we bought the Pacifica which gets a honest 22 to 25 mpg.

farout
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Stopped by the dealer early yesterday morning before anyone was around and looked at a few Journey's. Really like the outside. Looks very proportional and since I am a fan of the Dodge "look" I thought it was very attractive.

My dealer had 1 red R/T, a silver base model and a white SXT and a green SXT. Interiors on the upper models looks good to me. I have an 06 Ram so I am familiar with the Dodge interiors. I would like to see one close up on the inside before I make a final judgement. The interior of the base model looked a little spartan though. Seats in the upper models looked comfortable as well. I have found seats in different manufacturers fit body types and definitions of comfort differently. I think my Ram is comfortable, as was the PT Cruiser we had. But I have had a 4Runner that I thought was fine, but others could not bear but a short trip in.

I'd like to drive one, but I am concerned about the power and torque on the 4 cyl. I am very disappointed in the mpg rating in the 6, 16 & 23?? That's terrible if you ask me. When we replace the Passat in our fleet I'll still be looking for something that gets 20 mpg minimum in the city and still has some get up and go.

Why didn't the US get the 2.7 V-6? It may not have made 20 mpg but a better compromise that the 2 engine offerings out there now.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994: The 2.4 L engine has very little low end torque. Not only is it dull on the punch it is a gutless engine, and a gas sucker as well. I would think the 3.5 would do better in mpg over the 2.4. The 3.5 has a 6 speed auto trans which is far better than the 4 speed aoto that comes with the 2.4.
    The only one I saw was the base with the 2.4 and the CHEAP interior and it was $ 23,000.+ and it had no chrome except the Dodge Ram badge on the front. Everything on this one look cheap. Made in Mexico, so fit and finish on the outside was very good. I believe it would be even better if made in the USA!
    Perhaps Chrysler LLC. will see that DCX was going cheap to make more $, and correct some of this cheap ill fitting plastic junk, and make some real quality molded plastic that fits and looks and feel nice.

farout
    You know, I should iave remembered, but I think the 2.4 was the engine on our 01 PT. That car could not get out of its own way and yes, the mpg was less than stellar for a car that size. Pretty good car otherwise. Put 60k on it and was in the shop once for a recall. Very comfortable interior and very functional with the fold down and pull out seats. If I knew I could get a steady 18 in town with a Journey and the 3.5, you could sign me up today!

The 2.4 engine in your PT is not the same engine. This new "World Engine" is crap that was designed by Hyndia, KIA and D. Chrysler. It's a real winner and deserves a fickel finger of fait award. I would see if a dealer would let you test drive one and see what you think.

farout
    Too scared to test drive. I might like it too much or rationalize the mpg on the V-6 and drive off the lot with one! We're at least a year away from a new car, unfortunately. Although looking on the Dodge website it looks like I would qualify for the loyalty rebate since I currently have a Ram...Hmm...

• ShellyBAMFShellyBAMF Member Posts: 2
    My total cost out the door for my Journey was just over $20,000.00. I purchased the SRT V6 with the 3rd row seating. I went down to look at the one advertised for $13,888.00 but when I test drove it I found out it was the 4 cylinder and oh boy was it gutless! The price was nice if you don't want any power. It did have a lot of added options. I upgraded to the V6 and very happy with it. The transmission switches gears I feel prematurely when taking off as a slow speed. I get about 18 MPG. I don't take off fast but I do have a lead foot on the hwy. I now gas is a concern for many and was for me also but I think overall for a small SUV it does well on gas you just can't be the first one off the starting line.
  • rockfsh32rockfsh32 Member Posts: 1
    My purchase price after all incentives was a little over $27,000. This was about $2,000 less than when I initially placed my order in December '08. I ordered a FWD R/T with just about everything (no navigation, satellite TV, towing, or smoking).
    So far I love it! None of the issues others have mentioned on the various feedback sites. Maybe I'm the beneficiary of waiting to have mine built this past January after the shut-downs. They had ample time to straighten out some of the early first year issues.
    So far, so good! ;)
  • knowit2knowit2 Member Posts: 7
    We bought the SXT. Standard SXT with 7 seat package.
    We bought for 18,910 (without TTL before trade with destination) with financing at 2.9% for 4 years.
    I had them give us an extra $750 for our trade in, a 9 yr old GMC Safari.

Overall we are pleased. The SXT really seams loaded, dual sided ac/heat control, back ac/heater control, can coolers, dual exhaust, 3.5L with 6 speed tranny. If you want a CUV that you don't ever see around this is one for you.
  • antithesisantithesis Member Posts: 9
    The wife and I just bought an SXT FWD with the 3rd row option, Dual temperature ac/heater. remote start and some other little add ons. The MSRP was about $26,300 with black exterior and the dark interior with slate grey. It was listed in the newspaper for 16k and we got it for that price. We traded in our 2004 Murano for 12k too.
    We like the vehicle. We loaded it up with 3 adults and 2 kids and got about 24 mpg on a 300 mile roadtrip, which was hard to get in the Murano.
    Its not perfect but at the price it was totally worth it.
  • soldier148soldier148 Member Posts: 1
    I see from these posts that some people have scored pretty big discounts off MSRP on Journeys. One post details an SXT w/ 3rd row, (MSRP $26,300) selling for $16K. Where can I get one at that price?

Desire a 2009 SXT or RT with 3rd row option. With the 2010 model year coming fast, l am looking for a dealer that will offer a strong price break to move an 09 off the lot. I am in Texas but would consider working with an out of state dealer.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Try carmax.com. They may have one at a price you're looking for. Good luck.
  • stevefoystevefoy Member Posts: 3
    Looking at 2010 Journey's and I'm not seeing very big discounts. I was hoping to get $1500 rebate plus another $1500 off from the dealer. It's not happening. Dealer offering $1000 discounts (in addition to $1500 rebate) off a R/T model which has a $30,000 sticker. Curious what other people are seeing.
    DEALERS ARE TRYING TO RECOUP EVERY DIME THEY CAN. jOURNEY'S ARE IN SHORT SUPPLY AT PRESENT SO THE DISCOUNTS MAY BE LESS.

FAROUT
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Journey is getting a major makeover -- supposedly 2010.
    True, but I like the current model, especially for the price. I'm sure the re-design will have a more upscale interior and a more powerful engine, but this will surely drive up the price. The current interior on the R/T isn't fancy, but it's not cheap looking either. The new slate interior color looks nicer than last year's 2-tone. The engine is an old design, but it was quiet and smooth and had enough power. I was impressed. I just wish the discounts on the 2010's were a little better.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The really big discounts are on cars you probably don't want. They are out there and will occur occaisionally -- example 10k off routan's. Usually if you want a big price cut -- you have to compromise and buy something you may only sort of like. People cashed in big last spring on popular models that were in oversupply. Seems the mfgrs have learned a lesson and kept inventory low on even the slow sellers. Something might break on the journeys this winter. I agree -- the package is very attractive. Upgrades in driveline and interior may put it on my list in a few years.
    Well, I finally got the dealer to discount $1500 on top of the $1500 rebate. Negotiated price was $26,700 from a sticker of $29,695. This is for an ordered R/T model with front-wheel drive and nav. The car is due sometime in Jan. If the rebate should increase by then, I get the higher rebate! Best part of the negotiating process was checking out a Challenger SRT on the showroom floor ;-)
  • dhomsedhomse Member Posts: 4
    I bought DODGE JOURNEY SE 2010 + INFERNO RED CRYSTAL PEARL ($200) + FLEXIBLE SEATING GROUP ($886) @ $19450 + TAX AND LIC @ 0 % FOR 48 MONTHS IN SANTA CLARA , CA

JUST IF THIS HELPS ANYBODY.
  • rickermanrickerman Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2010 Dodge Journey SE 2.4l. With $3,000 down and $2,500 in incentives we paid $16,700. Rick Hendrick Dodge in Charleston,SC. No pressure sales and Finance person was not a JERK! Vehicle is very spacious and somewhat quiet.Comfortable seating. My wife has a Pontiac G6 and the seats in the Journey are 100% better. Brilliant Silver w/black interior. No "Bells and Whistles". We don't need all the other stuff. Although we did have to purchase the Cruise Control ( Not an option on this SE) $300 installed by Dealer. Better than the extra $3,000-$4,000 to upgrade!!!..........not for us! All-in-all...Happy with this experience! God is good!!!!!!!!! :)
  • modeladrivermodeladriver Member Posts: 2
    We test drove a Journey this week and during the trip it seemed the transmission shifted in and out too frequently. Has anyone experienced this?
  • eguimoyeguimoy Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I bought a Dodge Journey last September, 2009 and I had the same problem twice and I recently took the car to the Dealer and they did not find anything wrong with the car. They told me it this happen again just to bring it back to the dealer.
    Does any body else knows about this problem?
    Thanks,
  • tyler012201tyler012201 Member Posts: 4
    2010 Dodge Journey SXT suv with AWD brand new never sold what should i expect to pay? Add says $26,759 after rebates.This would be the first brand new car we have bought and don't want to be taken for a ride.
    If elong to AAA then they can be of help, also this web site has a place to look.

Have you neen in US branch of service? If so Chrysler also has a discount. Go to www.yarkcjd.com this is a very large dealer that sells at prices lower thn I have ever see. The prices a r shown with the discount. I think most dealers should cmepretty close. ( I don't work for Yark, or have bought a car from Yark. I just used their prices to geta dealer match.)
  • ricoucfricoucf Member Posts: 21
    Nobody has bought a Journey sxt V6 recently? Please post if you had this is the only way to really help each other out.
  • llevyllevy Member Posts: 5
    :D:D 2013 Journey Crew with third row and chrome wheels. MSRP 30,640. OTD price for car (excluding tax and tags, no fees) $25,140. That's $600 below invoice and $3500 in rebates ($2K Customer, $1K Lease, $500 Auto Show) Circle Dodge in Brick NJ. HIGHLY recommend Circle and Jim. Old-Time throwback dealership, no games, lots of stock and ridiculous deals. :D

Run, don't walk to grab '13 Journeys at current offers. If you want a thrid row crossover even remotely close to this price, FUHGEDDABOUT anything else. Hyundai and Kia have stupidly priced themselves out of contention with third row options. :confuse:

Let's pray reliability matches the looks, drive and price....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Did you recently purchase a car from the Detroit 3 (GM, Ford or Chrysler) after avoiding these domestic vehicles in the past? What made you change your mind? A reporter would like to ask about your experience. If you can help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Friday April 26th 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rdn71rdn71 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Dodge Journey 2013 SXT. It's amazing!
  • steven_rosariosteven_rosario Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Ok just wanna let you guysknow for reference
    2013 SXT BLACKTOP brand new 2 miles on odometer
    4cyl
    Base price: 23,095
    Total price: 27,680
    Options: leather, black top, 3rd row seating & big screen Uconnect.

Total sale price after negotiating for the vehicle before tax
    $22,231
  • 4_ur_info4_ur_info Member Posts: 1

2013 3.6 L Dodge Journey SXT - about 28,000 km.

On June 1, 2014, was getting off a highway onto a ramp, stepped on brakes to slow down to ramp speed limit and then the brakes locked suddenly, and the vehicle came to an abrupt halt with the ignition still running. As expected everyone in the vehicle lurched forward. What a major scare! Have not had another incident since then. Have limited confidence in the vehicle now and am not willing to take it on long distance trips.

• dknyc1dknyc1 Member Posts: 6
    I have lurked on here for years every time I go for a new car & just wanted to post what I think is a great deal I just got on a Journey:
    2015 Crossroad
    Quite loaded.
    Leather
    Nav
    Sunroof
    $0 down
    Only 1st month & DMV due at signing & tax in ea monthly payment - this is how I do all of my leases...
    $385 / month
    36 months
    12k miles / year
    So, on delivery I paid $750 total which was my $385 first month + DMV fees. When I went back a few weeks later to p/u my plates they gave me back DMV refund of $99.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    dknyc1 said:

I have lurked on here for years every time I go for a new car & just wanted to post what I think is a great deal I just got on a Journey:
    2015 Crossroad
    Quite loaded.
    Leather
    Nav
    Sunroof
    $0 down
    Only 1st month & DMV due at signing & tax in ea monthly payment - this is how I do all of my leases...
    $385 / month
    36 months
    12k miles / year
    So, on delivery I paid $750 total which was my $385 first month + DMV fees. When I went back a few weeks later to p/u my plates they gave me back DMV refund of $99.

Congrats on the new Dodge!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sundayduffersundayduffer Member Posts: 10
    2016 Journey Cross Road Plus $31880
    Discounts & rebates. <8991>
    Throw in TTL. $1793
    Extended warranty. $2300
    Trade very rough 07 Ford 500 <1200>
    Out the door cash price $25782

Options Preferred Pkg 28V, Nav & Backup, 3.6liter

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

2016 Journey Cross Road Plus $31880
    Discounts & rebates. <8991>
    Throw in TTL. $1793
    Extended warranty. $2300
    Trade very rough 07 Ford 500 <1200>
    Out the door cash price $25782

Options Preferred Pkg 28V, Nav & Backup, 3.6liter

Hi @sundayduffer, looks like you are going for the AWD version.

We show $4,000 in incentives making the True Market Value average price paid for a random zip code $26,636. Your quote is more like $22,900 before TTL and the rest. Sounds killer from here, congrats!

Some people like to wait until the factory warranty is close to expiring before buying an extended warranty, in case they wreck the car or wind up trading it for some reason. May want to check the paperwork and see if it's refundable in case that happens to you - might get some of it pro-rated back (people often qualify but forget to check a few years down the road when someone smacks into their car).

Enjoy the Journey!