Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems

Comments

• cooper2012cooper2012 Member Posts: 1
    Here ya go . Watch cylinder head with 0331 casting . Just had to replace at 130,000 miles . Heater core blew too ! Yeah big bucks for both , big buck ! Blinkers also have a problem with the relay . Pneumatic openers for hood and rear hatch door are bad . Just a few things that are true of this vehicle . Seems the whole cooling heating system has issues from what I have read . New head gasket, new cylinder head, new heater core, new radiator , what else can go wrong ?
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Hello all- looking for some suggestions; we have a 2012 GC Overland, we have had it for about a year and are around 16k miles. Oddly some random electric glitches have plagued us.

1. The Bluetooth is horrible; connectivity to my wife’s i-phone is inconsistent. She gets in the car, if she gets or makes a call, the call always starts out on the headset and then in a minute or so switches over to the car. Once connected, the noise/sound quality is a joke. I can barely understand her when I am on the phone with her.
    2. The “EZ exit” seat feature stopped working for almost two months (we checked to make sure feature was activated). Then randomly it started working again and has been fine since.
    3. The radio pre sets for “memory 2” will randomly get wiped out

So for the above, as they were minor problems, we have not returned to the dealer. Then this week, while my wife is driving the rear glass hatch (not the lift gate) will randomly release. She then has to pull over and close it. This happened 12 times between Monday and Tuesday. We have an appointment scheduled for Friday, but my guess is that they wont be able to replicate any of these issues as they are “random”

Has anyone else experienced any of these issues or have any solutions?

Thanks!!
  • fester78fester78 Member Posts: 1
    my name is eric kinney i am having the same problem did u get yours fixed?is so what was it ?
  • alpine1951alpine1951 Member Posts: 1
    front sidelights stopped working then passenger side windows stopped working now no central locking anyone please help
  • karma90karma90 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Automatic, 2WD, the vehicle starts up perfectly but then instantly dies. Not a sputter nothing it's like it just loses spark. The power works fine, the dash lights come on, no problem, automatic & manual head lights work great so far. Power windows and door locks work,my interior lights work. Gas light comes on, but there's gas in the jeep. None of the gauges move at all. After trying to start it multiple times there is no sort of clicking from inside my vehicle like when my alternator went out & my battery kept dying. I recently replaced the alternator 2 days ago. I replaced transmission catalytic converter, muffler, & major tune up 6 weeks ago.

I was driving the jeep earlier, but 20 minutes later, it starts up for a milli~second, then shut down. I've checked the battery cables & clamps, there completely in tact & tightened.

Any suggestions? Other than, get rid of it & get a new car
    !!! PLEASE HELP!!!
  • edanddeb98edanddeb98 Member Posts: 3
    this may sound crazy now it worked for me go to passenger side of the car take the key and lock and un lock it several times then open the passenger door and get in and start the car it should stop it did for us hope it helps
  • ozjeeperozjeeper Member Posts: 5
    While you were replacing the muffler, did you also check the Oxy Sensors? My Jeep did what you describe and the problem was one of the Oxy Sensors wasn't working.
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    I have a 93 and it could be the security system since it will act like that so you can not steal the car. If you lock and then unlock the drivers side it might fix the problem. My only other experience with not starting and running is a bad coil. Easy to replace....made a huge difference in how it ran too. Ours had 150,000 miles so it gave a good life.
    THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
    THANK FOR YOUR HELP.
  • ozjeeperozjeeper Member Posts: 5
    Have you considered the possibility that the battery was fully charged? The regulator on the Alternator will be set to kick in at a range of 12 volts to 12.2 volts. Of course it could also be the regulator that is causing the problem. It may be set too high or too low before it kicks in. Bear in mind that the Alternator is producing power all the time. It's the Regulator that decides when to allow the power into the battery.
  • larrys8larrys8 Member Posts: 36
    Hello all- if you read my previous post about our 2012 GC, you know that I have been dealing with a few electric problems. After two trips to the dealer, the switch to open the rear glass has been replaced.

No on to what happen last night. My wife started up the GC, all the lights were on and blinking including the blind spot warning in the mirrors. She puts the car in drive, gauges dont work, car feels underpowered. She tried to drive, but didn't feel safe doing so. She returned to our in-laws, 20 miles away. I went to pick her up. The only light that stayed on was the check engine light. I drove it home with no problems. This AM, the engine light went off and everything was fine.

Has anyone heard of this? Or have any idea what it is?

I have appointment tomorrow to get it looked at and am hoping that it threw an error code they can see. Although I am preparing myself for the usual "cant replicate customers issue". Im sure it wont happen again until I have my family 15 miles out on the beach this summer.

Any input or feedback would be great.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I'LL HAVE IT CHECKED OUT A.S.A.P.
    I HAVE A 1996 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO. THE BATTERY WOULDN'T STAY CHARGED SO I GOT A NEW BATTERY & THE ALTERNATOR REPLACED. BUT NOW THE JEEP WILL START FINE, THEN SHUT DOWN. IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE, BUT A COUPLE HOURS LATER IT WAS STARTING UP & STAYING ON. NOW A WEEK & A HALF LATER, ITS HAPPENING AGAIN.

COULD IT BE A BAD COIL OR AN ELECTRICAL SHORT?
    SOMEONE SAID IT COULD BE THE REGULATOR.

ANY OPINIONS OR OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
  • dj_sialbdj_sialb Member Posts: 1
    I had this exact same problem yesterday (March 22, 2013). Cleaned the battery terminals and worked perfectly! Give it a try and reply back to me!
  • watchdawg1watchdawg1 Member Posts: 1
    Where do I find the cylinder head casting number? Silly question, "on the cylinder head , where else?" I just thought maybe you could dial me in a little better, but had to make fun of my own question. Thanks. Jim L
  • gazorngazorn Member Posts: 1
    My first GC. The oxy sensor went out at 1000 miles. Now I have acceleration problems sporadically. I'm pushing the pedal but it doesn't go any faster until it takes off like it just found out that it has gas. Help please.
  • bretmbretm Member Posts: 3
    Sounds similar to my problem:

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 liter/6 cylinder that has 164 K miles. I've kept it in pretty good shape with tons of new parts over the past 3 years or so, and don't want to part with it. However, lately it's been getting horrible gas mileage (about 10 MPG highway), has been running roughly, and smells bad.

Finally took it to the dealer after several attempts by my local, independent shop. Dealer said that the car has been dripping oil down onto the ECU wiring harness for so long that the oil corroded the wires and harness plugs/sockets to the point that they are un-repairable. He said this harness is no longer made, and even if I could find one in a junk yard, it would be "pure luck" to be able to use it and have it work.

His solution? Buy a new car, mine wasn't worth fixing. Would cost several thousand dollars, more than the car is worth.

Actually, the guy sounded sincere, like he really was trying to save me a ton of money and hassle on a difficult problem that did not have much chance of success.

But what do YOU think? Can motor oil really corrode wires and sockets, or just gum them up? Can't this thing just be cleaned really good with an electronics degreaser spray?

Any tips appreciated...
  • barryzbarryz Member Posts: 43
    I would do research at parts stores and online parts sources, i can't believe you can't order a new wiring harness, sounds like the dealer service guy earns a referral fee if you buy a new jeep thats bigger than his fee for fixing, plus if there is a harness it will be cheaper to replace at an independent shop. Does not sound like a valid answer. If you want to try cleaning, get some electronic contact cleaner spray, take connectors off ecm computer located under hood on firewall passenger side, spray connectors and put back on, then unhook any sensors you can can reach on engine and spray connectors, look for pins on connectors that are pushed back and push them back in, make sure they lock in place. If you see any ground wires under hood that ground to body or firewall, take them off and sand the paint off where they mount to body, spray ground lugs with the contact cleaner. This could fix a lot of issues, i have a 99 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 with 172,000. I doubt its this, but battery gage if you have one on dash should read higher than 13.5 volts, if its lower, replace battery if its been a while, weak battery will not let computer function properly, i had this in past. Loosen battery cables and clean posts and terminals with wire brush if corroded, spray some contact cleaner there also. I would not clean harness itself if it has oil on it, its not a factor, bunch of bs, but connector contacts can have poor connection due to corrosion due to age, and can be cleaned as i explained. If none of this cheap stuff works, find a good independent mechanic that specializes in electrical and computers, he should be able to get a harness if needed, but could be a sensor, make sure the mechanic shop has the proper computer diagnostics equipment for jeep. It would not surprise me if just cleaning connections fixes. Let me know if you fixed.
  • bretmbretm Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your thoughtful, detailed reply! I'll give these suggestions a shot and find out...
  • jgc92jgc92 Member Posts: 2
    I had this exact same problem with my 97 jeep grand Cherokee. Driving down the rd it would just shut off. Is your check engine light on? Mine was on, and I thought it was my alternator too. I felt kinda silly when m mechanic tightened the serpentine belt and replaced the battery. I never had a problem again. My check engine light, which was on for years, has been off ever since. Hope this helps.
  • dmagidmagi Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing 2 problems that have surfaced at the same time. Thus, I believe they are connected.

When driving, my overhead monitor chimes, illuminates the interior lights and says "Left Rear Door Open". Of course it is not, but it keeps coming on and going off.

Also, now my alarm keeps going off intermittently (and ohh to often). Haven't had a good night's sleep in a while.

I've taken it to the dealer, who said I needed a new rear left door latch, but would no guarantee that would fix the problem. Latch replaced, problem persist.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. Does anyone know what the cause could be, or a solution?
    I HAVE A 1997 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO. I EXPERIENCED THE SAME ISSUE A FEW MONTHS AGO. IF YOUR ALARM IS CONNECTED TO YOUR POWER LOCKS, THEN IT MOST LIKELY MEANS THAT YOUR REAR DOOR LOCK NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. FOR ME IT WAS MY PASSENGER DOOR. AFTER IT WAS REPLACED, I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THAT ISSUE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
    A very common failure that can cause all kind of power lock, alarm, power window, and interior light issues is that inside the drivers door, in the wiring harness that runs in door from the power lock/window harness is that there is a big, thick, copper back ground wire that grounds windows, locks, alarm, interior lights, to a body ground. this wiring harness passes thru door into car thru a grommet in forward side of door. If you can loosen the interior panel of door low by hinged side you will see this harness, and where it exits door. The common problem is this big fat black ground wire is not so much twisted wires but a round solid piece of copper, and repeated opening and closing of door have caused it to snap in 2 just inside the door or on the outside where it passes into vehicle. I could not visually see the break till i stuck my hand under the loosened interior panel and felt around this biggest fattest wire. i found it was broken in 2, but still making contact with a tiny corner which did not provide a large enough ground path. I was able to very gently strip the insulation of each side of the broken wire and use a twist on wire terminal to join the 2 pieces together, all problems fixed. Its been 2 years now, no more problems. I think if you take to a mechanic to fix, most not so honest, will replace a motor, lock, switch, charge you for parts and labor and repair the ground wire without telling you that was problem, as its only about 30 minutes labor, so the real cause is kept from you so you will thank them for fixing things that weren't broken and were much more profitable for them.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I am new to this board so if this has been discussed before, I apologize. My stepson has a 2008 GC. He went out one morning and it wouldn't start. He did all of the normal stuff to eliminate a dead battery or a fault in the electrical circuit with no result. A little later he tried again and it did start. That was the last time it did so. My question, however, is this; he had it towed to the dealer and they diagnosed it as the CWX on-board computer. Here's the kicker, they said that this part is not only back-ordered, the parts center indicated that there were 80 people ahead of him and it could take MONTHS before they received one for his vehicle. The service advisor advised him that they themselves had a customer who had been waiting since April. Has anyone heard of this situation? It seems surreal to me that it could be true.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• dmagidmagi Member Posts: 2
    The door latch was replaced.

Update:::

The alarm hasn't been going off, but console still reads "Left Rear Door Open" and the interior lights stay on when I drive.

This is driving me crazy. Still haven't found a mechanic who knows what the problem is.
  • eddiemooreeddiemoore Member Posts: 1
    Hi barryz.
    I had this electrical problem (power windows, interior lights, heater/a/c reversed) with my WJ and followed your advise. You Sir, are a genius. One broken thick black wire. I replaced it and my WJ is fully functioning again. Thanks for the money saved replacing things.
  • mrgodlikemrgodlike Member Posts: 3
    A friend of mine told me about the ground wires under the center console, I removed and cleaned them today. No problems yet, everything else I tried fail within minutes, except this. Give it a try.
    Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear it fixed your problem.
  • phxmomphxmom Member Posts: 3
    After spending nearly $2k at the dealer last week, my Jeep is still there when the problem popped up, again.

It only happens on occasion when either stopped at a light or when I first turn it on and the a/c goes on, but all the lights on the dashboard light up, and the car stops. The first couple of times it happened, I shut off the a/c, and it was OK. Took it to the shop and while they replaced a transmission module, they didn't find the cause of the problem. It was OK for a few days, and then it started, again. This time, I put my foot on the gas, and it stopped...but then it happened twice more. Never happens when it's going for awhile.

The service guy at the dealer (where it's been since yesterday & they haven't been able to duplicate it) says it's his gut that it's the ignition switch, but I don't know what to do. Suggestions? I know this has been a common problem.

I really would like now to just sell it, but how do you do that when you've filed a complaint with the government, and you can't get it to work right?
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I posted the below about a week ago. I am posting it again just in case someone knows something about it. I really want to know if my stepson is being BS'ed, if this is something that has happened to other Jeeps, or if it is just a weird situation. I would appreciate any insight or experiences that people have had.

I am new to this board so if this has been discussed before, I apologize. My stepson has a 2008 GC. He went out one morning and it wouldn't start. He did all of the normal stuff to eliminate a dead battery or a fault in the electrical circuit with no result. A little later he tried again and it did start. That was the last time it did so. My question, however, is this; he had it towed to the dealer and they diagnosed it as the CWX on-board computer. Here's the kicker, they said that this part is not only back-ordered, the parts center indicated that there were 80 people ahead of him and it could take MONTHS before they received one for his vehicle. The service advisor advised him that they themselves had a customer who had been waiting since April. Has anyone heard of this situation? It seems surreal to me that it could be true.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Update. It happened again, so it isn't fixed. Looks like the ignition switch first, then I'll try the bcm, and look for more ground wires to clean/repair.
    Bought a used pcm at the boneyard, had the dealer program it ($65.00) and all gauges work now.
    Update:
    We got the ignition switch replaced and haven't had problems with it since.
  • rbrwebrbrweb Member Posts: 1
    I hope its not too late for the reply, i had the same problem and went from changing fuel pump and the tps sensor and crankshaft sensor even the O2 sensor and nothing, the deal was in the ECM(engine control module) this kind of jeeps have the same problem it starts and works fine then suddenly stall, i change the ECM and problem solved, if you want to buy it from mopar you will spend like 800 dlls but you can find it for 150 looking in the web. Good luck.
  • jkw13jkw13 Member Posts: 5
    I'm not sure if this is the same part as ours, but it sounds similar. My husband was told it was on national backorder, so it's not BS. It was supposed to be in August 22, 2013, but we got an email from the dealer saying they had no idea when it would be in. Our car has been there since July 2013 so at least your stepson is in front of us. We ended up buying a 3rd car b/c a rental was costing too much. We bought a Toyota!!
  • wendy07wendy07 Member Posts: 4
    I bet its the TIPM. Backordered and who knows when they can make enough. Jeep sitting at the lot with battery cables unhooked so the fuel pump wont run constantly. Class action is all I can say.
  • jhouckjhouck Member Posts: 1
    My jeep is also down, they told me its the TIPM.. The dealership told me it will take about 2 months or longer to get the part. I have two kids and no car, Chrysler told me they can't promise me when I would get it, Chrysler has the worst customer service. Buy a Ford
  • architectkmparchitectkmp Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2013
    My experience was that it was not any of the 5 modules that the dealers diagnostic computer indicated. It was the wiring harnesses all along. REPEAT: It was the wiring harnesses all along. After replacing both the front and rear harnesses my GCL has run like new(er).

And...since then I've logged over 100k miles without any problem. Now at 139k and running well.

Note: look at my earlier posts from way back
  • patulippatulip Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 75000 miles on it. It has treated me well and I have spent a sufficient amount of money to maintain it Mechanically and appearance wise.
    Just got a problem, I can't shift it to Low Low for Hi AWD. I am fully aware of how to do it. and haven't done it for quite a few years. Now I can't do it at all.
    Anyone out there have the same problem and what steps did you require to repair it.

I also had a "service 4WD switch" alert on my computor panel. I replaced the switch and have still have a few alerts.

Anyone have similar events??

Patulip
  • almac53almac53 Member Posts: 1
    What year is your Jeep. My 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo is having so many problems that come and go. Right now no A/C (not low on freon), somedays it shifts to Overdrive somedays not, all O2 sensors faulted at the same time, leak detector code P0456(even after replacing the pumps and hoses). One day the overhead console said it was -44 degrees and recently it said 105 degrees but I live in Brussels Belgium and 105 is not possible. It's always quite entertaining to watch but hell to drive.
  • patulippatulip Member Posts: 2
    You are Certainly having problems for a car only 9 years old. I got my Jeep in 1994 and have spent maybe $6000 in 20 years in repairs and I have only 78000 miles on the vehicle
    My Antenna won't go up or down automatically so I do it manually,
    I cannot shift to LO and don't know why, so I have some problems too but not as frequent and erratic as yourse seem to be. Good luck.
    Ron
  • bakeri60bakeri60 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I hope your still one here I realise it's an old post. I have exactly the same problem. All fuses and bulbs are ok.

What was the fix in the end ?
  • nazarenecnazarenec Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4x4 5.7 Hemi) and until yesterday I had no problems.

I went to leave and when I put in the key to turn the Jeep on, all (or at least most) of the warning lights came on and several 'service system' messages were displayed.

The Jeep would not start, but the radios, head lights, interior lights, AC/Heat, Fan/blower, horn, wipers, etc. all work.

When I turn the key it makes the same grinding sound that would be made if the car was already on and you tried to continue turning the key.

Does anyone know why this happened?

Does anyone know what I can try to fix this?

If it won't run I'll have to get it towed and that could take some time and would just cost more money.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    We had the same problem.
    Have them replace the ignition switch.
  • lobo18lobo18 Member Posts: 1
    We have the same symptoms, and others:

When you push on the start button, it will turn over but not start the you have to hit the button again to try and stop this, the work around for a day or two was remote start the car.

After taking the car in for service, they said it needed TIPM but it is on back order for 3 weeks! the dealer said it was safe to drive....not so...the car stalled in traffic, now my wife is afraid to drive the car, she how wants to trade it in but not for a jeep!
    we are shopping now.
  • greasemonkey13greasemonkey13 Member Posts: 1
    PCM
    remove rad reservoir, three screws (simple)
    remove PCM shield (simple)
    disconnect three links to wiring harness (carefully)
    see two chrome screws, back off two turns (simple)
    reconnect wiring harness (carefully)
    start vehicle (test)
    90% of time will correct problem (simple)
    if correct, replace installed 1/2" screws w/ 1/4" or stand off w/washer (simple)
    replace wiring harness plugs (carefully)
    replace PCM shield (simple)
    problem corrected!
  • allyp2013allyp2013 Member Posts: 1
    Dont get me wrong. Im no mechanic or anything like it. But it sounds lije u have an electrical issue. I only say that because i have a 99 Grand Cherokee limited and I found that I as well had an electrical problem. And as simple as this sounds......try unhooking the battery. It fixed my window problem when all my windows stop working at once.
  • txcutie39txcutie39 Member Posts: 2

I haven't been able to get it fixed yet but for a month almost I have had this problem as well..started out with the radio going off and coming back on and the abs warning light coming on and right back off when I would hit bumps or drive down an extremely bumpy road but while trying to find out where the short was it died in the middle of the road. It turns out it is the ground wire. I don't know what the fix is yet because haven't been able to get it looked at but I do know it is the cause so yea you should get that checked out. Found the problem when a friend wiggle the ground wire and the power was restored

• txcutie39txcutie39 Member Posts: 2

And then same thing happened again and this morning too so I barely touched the ground wire and got power back