Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty SkySlider Roof

gtangjrgtangjr Member Posts: 25
Here is the transcript of a conversation between myself and another member taking place on another string of posts. I think the issue warrants its own discussion topic.

If anyone is experiencing this issue, please make note of it here so that we can work toward a solution.

Best,

Gilbert

His Question:

How do you deal with the skyslider noise? Anytime I drive at around 65+ MPH, the noise disrupts conversation in the cab. It is so distracting and loud. Have you done or tried anything to minimize this problem? Thanks

My Response:

This is a very good question. Our noise fluctuates in terms of speed and it seems to also be linked to the weather (ie - expanding and contract[ing] of rubber seal with hot or cold). That is, sometimes it happens at 50MPH, and sometimes not until 80MPH.

When we first heard it, particularly how loud it was, we were startled. The next day we took it to the dealer and they said it's a fact of life at 70MPH and above. Very frustrating, especially when they advertise it as being so well-tested.

However, the vehicle we had prior to the Liberty (in addition to our IS250) was a Camry Solara Convertible which wasn't quiet either. We also listen to our music at a higher-than-average volume level. In other words, we really don't notice it too much.

That said, I'm still looking at solutions. In my own informal evaluation of the issue I think that I have isolated the cause of the issue. As you know, bordering the SkySlider roof there is a thick rubber seal that protrudes approximately an inch above the roof itself. If you manipulate the seal you'll note that it is not actually attached to the car. That is to say that the part that of the rubber seal that makes contact with the metal roof of the car is not "glued" down.

I think that at certain speeds (according to the dealer, 70MPH) wind gets under the seal, producing the wind noise. To test this theory, simply wedge something small like a folded business card under the seal (AT YOUR OWN RISK!) and you should hear the noise at significantly lower speeds.

So, I'm toying with the idea of actually gluing the seal down, preventing the noise altogether. Then again, I probably won't because I'm too afraid of voiding the warranty by doing so.

If enough people complain about the issue and the fact that it was not advertised as such, I think that Jeep will be forced to come up with a solution and release it via TSB.

Write Jeep corporate!

Gilbert

His Response:

Thank you Gilbert for your reply!

I feel like the only one complaining about this. Please let me know if your investigations go well. If you find a solution or at least a temporary quick fix, I would really appreciate that.

Thanks Again!

Ashkaan

My Response:

I don't think you're the only one complaining about it at all, since Jeep has a TSB concerning the issue. The only problem is the TSB doesn't give a useful solution, only suggesting that it's a fact of life with the roof.

But again, let's stay vigilant about this to help promote a fix.

I will copy and paste our messages to another post specific to the issue.

Gilbert

Comments

• cmoa84cmoa84 Member Posts: 8
    I actually don't drive over 65 mph, but since last week I noticed that the front lateral part of the SkySlider was lifting when I start reaching 40 mph, and it continues lifting even more while I increase the speed. When it do that, then it get very noisy because the noise is coming from that opening.

When I go to the dealer to tell them about this concern (because when I bought it 2 months ago it didn't do that) they said that it was NORMAL!!!! :mad: ....... And I said that it is not normal because that problem started just a few days ago (I can't believe they didn't try to find a solution for the problem)

I think I did everything I could. They told me that they can not do anything right now because the car is brand new and there are no specifications about that kind of problems.

I would like to know if someone is experiencing this or experienced it already and got it fixed and how.

Thank you very much !!!!

~Claudette
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    Well, if sounds ANYTHING like how the old and some of the new wranglers do/did, then crank up the air/heat. That's what we did in my old one. And it blew it up like a balloon. If that doesn't work then always make sure that it is completely closed.
    Thank you for your solution advice ... but Iam not sure I understand what you are trying to explain... I would really appreciate if you can explain it better to me to see if I can go to the dealer and ask them if they can check better my SkySlider having the backup of your advice.

Thank you!!!

~Claudette
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    Okay! When you are riding on the highway, and your SkySlider makes large amounts of noise, it is because the fabric is loose. Very loose. To solve this problem (maybe), you can roll up all the windows and turn the air on full blast, or the heat. Whichever you prefer. In doing this, it essentially inflates the car like a balloon, making the SkySlider fabric very tight. When the fabric is tight, it will not make noise, or at least not as much noise.

Do you see what I am saying?
  • baslerbasler Member Posts: 2
    I have been discussing this issue with Jeep. They told me to get another opinion on the wind noise. I discussed the issue with another service manager who stated that he had a convertible LeBarron with a convertible roof top that was noisey. He said he installed an air deflector on the roof which eliminated the problem. I thought of the same solution however, Mopar only has air deflectors for sun roofs. If Jeep engineers an air defector that should resolve the problem.
  • baslerbasler Member Posts: 2
    I tried that with limited success. I do not believe the issue is with the frabic. I think it the issue is aerodynamics complicated with faulty weather seals and flaw of wind deflection. Roof is too flat.
  • gtangjrgtangjr Member Posts: 25
    We have been working very closely with our Jeep dealership on this matter and I can attest to the fact, having seen evidence with my own eyes, that there is an official technical service bulletin on this matter.

Jeep has created a solution to the issue that involves a new part and a complete re-install of the slider roof. Currently, the part is on backorder and we are on the waiting list.

As soon as we have it installed, I will update this message board.

That said, if ANY Jeep dealer tries to tell you there isn't any data on this, know that they are either lying or misinformed, as there is supporting documentation available.

I will scan and post the TSB, a copy of which I have retained, soon.
    Thank you so much for your reply message. I really appreciate it because right now I was like with crossed hands because people in the dealership were treating me like if I was crazy, so I decided to leave the Sky Slider like that, even though it was driving me crazy. They were telling me that it was normal, even though when I bought it, I didn't have that problem.

Now I can call the dealer and tell them that I was right!!!! :D THANKS TO YOU!!!
    Hello again ... do you that you will be able to send me a copy of the TSB, to have an evidence also.

Thank you very much :D
  • ashkaanashkaan Member Posts: 5
    Ya, if you could post a link maybe to the TSB or give us a contact info for Jeep, that would be really nice. Thank You
  • jimgreinerjimgreiner Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info... after 2 body computer re-programs and a number of adjustments by my dealer on my '08 Liberty I'm happy to hear they've finally got a fix that may work... I would also appreciate a copy of the TSB so my dealer can get the parts on order.... Thanks - Jim
  • wwehrstenwwehrsten Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your information. I have recently purchased a Liberty and am having the same problem with wind noise. You don't have to scan and Post the whole TSB. If you could post the number and the date on the TSB we can all go ahead and investigate with the Dealer?
    Sorry it took so long to put this up. We're still waiting on parts from our dealer.

The TSB itself is seven or eight pages in length, but I've posted the first page to get you up and running, so to speak.

Photobucket

FYI, the TSB number is 23-013-08

Good luck!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I know the TSB is posted several times, but I wanted to make sure everyone in the thread got a reply in case they're not watching via email.
    Thanks for posting, but hate to disappoint you... That is an OLD fix... also came out with a similar TSB dated (I think) August 15th 2008 since the one you posted didn't work... The August 15th TSB doesn't fix the problem either (have had them both done)... seems your dealer is WAAYYYY behind times and jerking you in circles... and we're still left without a fix for our noisy skysliders... looks like it's lawyer & lemon law time :lemon:
    Both the dealer and I are aware of the so-called archaic nature of the fix. The reason we are waiting so long for parts is they have since been updated to reflect the most recent adjustments. They are under the same TSB number.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, I'll let everyone know what the outcome is when I receive the new parts and have them installed.

But thanks for the vigilance!
  • facciabella3facciabella3 Member Posts: 1
    READ THIS !!!!!
    Well... i wish wind noise was my only problem ! I purchased a jeep liberty 2008 6 months ago with the sky slider roof .. i actually purchased it in the summer ... the front of the sky slider liner is actually glued to a metal bar .. when it got over hot the glue melted and now the liner falls down and the roof does seal tight anymore ... iv had jeep fix it 4 times already and everytime it comes unglued ... the wind noise is so terrible i blast the radio to avoid the noise ... i actually have yet another appointment with jeep to have it fixed.. DOES LEMON LAW ring a bell. a 30,000 jeep shouldnt have these problems i should be enjoying it ... has anyone else had these problems >>???? email me at Rachel.Ricci@yahoo.com thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me at...

If we keep the conversation here then no one will be deprived of valuable information. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Rachel,

You're right about the metal bar and the glue. The day we bought our Liberty was the hottest of the year in Los Angeles (pushing 117 degrees) and yes, the glue didn't hold.

Good news: the TSB I posted addresses your issue, so long as you have the NEW parts (backordered) and your dealer takes his or her time fixing the issue.

More on this in another post!

Gilbert
    I have great news. I am happy to say that our backordered NEW parts FINALLY came in and the dealer was able to fix the wind noise.

I've had the Jeep up to 100mph and the only noise we get now is that which is associated with having a fabric top. In other words, the car is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter and doesn't sound like your windshield is going to fly off.

This is excellent news for anyone having Sky Slider issues.

For those with questions, have your DEALER (if everyone calls themselves, it will end in frustration for all) contact Davis Ellis Jeep in Canoga Park, CA. Jerry is the service manager and should be able to shed some light.

Once again, our issue is resolved and we are thrilled. It's like getting a new car all over again.

Gilbert

PS - I didn't really catch all the tech mumbo jumbo, but as a starting point my dealer mentioned the metal bar and how it has these four bolts that go into it, holding the roof in place. The first version came loose, causing the noise. The second version of the part (old TSB) did the same. The newest backordered version now fixes it since apparently the bolts are tighter and more recessed.
    Thanks for posting... taking this info to my dealer at lunch time... I'd settle for no wind noise at 70mph... starting to go deaf from having to turn the radio up all the way to hear over the wind :(

Jim Greiner
    Contacted my dealer and have the repair parts on order... like gtangjr, parts are on backorder so will just have to wait for them to arrive... Has anybody else had the latest fix which gtangjr described done, and how has it worked out for you? Thanks

Jim
  • ahck123ahck123 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2008 liberty on 1/1/09 and have been fighting with the dealer for 18 days about how noisy the slider roof is. At one point the District manager and two service reps at least acknowledged that the noise was excessive. They ordered a new "bow" and replaced it after having the vehicle for two weeks. I sayt the noise is unchanged - they say it has been fixed and the remaining noise is just normal for that feature. I have paperwork that says a Chrysler engineer said (before they replaced the bow) that replacing the bow would not fix the problem. I have contacted the customer service reps for Chrysler, have been at the dealership for 18+ hours and no resolution. Now the dealer refused to even let me leave the car for them to attempt anything else and Chrysler refuses to buy the car back. I am thinking of a lawsuit especially since I asked about the noise during my test drive and was told it was a minor adjustment. That comment lead to me buying the car. I would have never purchased the vehicle if I had been told that the noise we were experiencing was the normal noise for the car. You have to turn the radio way up at 50-60 mph and you have to practically scream at people in the backseat. Of course the service rep that made the decision to replace the bow even though the engineer said it wouldn't fix it is now the one saying it is quieter and fixed so the owner and district manager believe him. i completely feel your frustration!!!!! :mad:
  • ahck123ahck123 Member Posts: 2
    i am completely frustrated with my slider roof. I have been trying for 19 days to get some resolution to the noise issue. I dont know if you are talking about the bow as the part that was replaced that fixed your issue but they did that already with mine and it has not helped. My vehicle starts to be noisy and whistle at 35-40 mph and gets worse from there up. At 65-70 it is unbearable and you ahve to turn the radio way up and practically scream at people in the backseat. i am especially frustrated since my dealer was told by a Chrysler engineer that replacing the bow would not fix the problem...they went ahead and did it and now are saying it is fixed and that the remaining noise is just noise from a cloth top! I asked about this problem during the test drive prior to purchase and was told it was a minor adjustment. It certainly hasn't been a minor adjustment and I would never have bought the vehicle if the salesperson had not assured me that the minor adjustment would resolve the noise. I will contact the dealer you mentioned. thanks maybe your fix is a different fix. :mad:
    It is a shame that your dealer (as well as the commenter above you) isn't working with you on this and instead chooses to be confrontational. Our dealership was excellent. We still have ZERO problems with our roof following my post about the matter finally being fixed. At 80-90 MPH the noise is perfectly what one would expect with a cloth roof, and is in fact quieter than that of our 2006 Solara Convertible with the top up.

I would recommend having your dealer call my dealer, David Ellis Chrysler Jeep in Canoga Park, CA. Have them talk to Kenny in service. He is wonderful, but I should warn you he is usually very busy and difficult to get in touch with. Again, I would have the dealer call so it's a lot less frustrating to my dealer, as opposed to several customers from seemingly out of nowhere. BEST OF LUCK!
    Ive beed dealing with the same problem since last year and they are telling me the same thing .. "that noise is normal" ... But the thing is that when I bought the car it wasnt doing that noise at all.

Hopefully we can find a solution for this problem...
    Your issue is consistent with the loosening of whatever part it was that my dealer fixed. It's likely just a matter of them doing it correctly. Also, your early fix could have been done with older parts, which were subsequently recalled for their ineffectiveness. There is a newer part that I had to wait a long time for. Read this thread in its entirety for complete information. Good luck.
  • lasersamlasersam Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased an 09 with SkySlider. No noise or issues yet... I wonder if the 09's had the new parts installed at the factory. Anyone know?
    I know for certain (per my dealer) the new parts have been implemented.
  • pdcingsopdcingso Member Posts: 1
    I am haveing the same problem, I have an appointment Wednesday with the dealer, any updates? Part numbers???
  • a35242a35242 Member Posts: 9
    I am having the same issues and have to bring my Liberty 08 in for them to look at again. Originally, they flashed the computer and it seemed to work better but then it just loosened up again and there was horrible noise. They say they read all of the latest Service Bulletins so if you have anymore specifics on what the part actually is or more of an explanation that would help alot. this is so frustrating.
  • 210win210win Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem,and fixed it by dealer last week. There is no noise so far. The parts # are 68057092AA which is Bow-Folding Top,and 68038578AA which is Grease-Nyogel 729F. Of course it was free to fix.
    Thanks for the update. This should help out a lot and I am taking it in today for them to look at it. With this information I know they wont BS me and it will save me a lot of time and headach. Will keep everyone posted on the developments.
    I took the information gathered from here and the ordered the part. It was called a header kit. I am hoping this will work and will keep you posted
    Hate to disappoint all of you following this thread, but I had this latest fix (replacing header) done around 3000 miles ago... at the time it was done the wind noise was greatly reduced, with only a little noise coming from the passenger side of the skyslider... over the past 3000 miles however, the noise has gradually increased to the point it's as noisy as it was before the repair... Again, another CHEEP (CHryslerjEEP) repair... time to get the lemon law lawyers involved :mad:
  • srotagsrotag Member Posts: 1
    I also purchased an "09" Liberty with a "skyslider" roof. Noise is not the right word for it. I'm assuming that Chrysler/Jeep didn't learn nor try to fix the problem for the 2009 model year. Noted to my dealer that there is a Blt. from Chrysler Jeep concerning this problem but his response was "it was or the 2008 model therefor not applicable to the 2009 model". DUH. I guess I too need to contact whomever about the "Lemon Law". Dealer Service Rep did say he had the same problem but to date has not found a solution for it other than a fixed air dam in front of the opening (none sold by JEEP fit this situation) nor offered on the open market. And you wonder why the BIG THREE are having a hard time selling their products...
    So, are you able to go back and get the header kit replaced again? There does not seem to be any other solutions out there that I have heard of. Let me know if you find anything out about the Lemon Law with this situation because it is definately frustrating for sure.
  • lasersamlasersam Member Posts: 5
    No trouble on my 09 Liberty yet but this thread is very troubling. I worry every time I open the roof at 60 MPH. OK- I won't do that. What else might contribute to the seal failure? Is there a preventive maintenance procedure that would help avoid the problem (like getting the seal surfaces periodically greased)?
    Has anyone seen a physical part that gets replaced when a leaky roof is "fixed"? What is it and where does it go? Get a picture of it and post it here if you can. Can someone get their service manager to describe the procedure that is used to fix the roof and share it here?
    I just got my Jeep Liberty back after they installed the header kit and it is 100% better than before. I can go 70 Miles per hour + with no wind noise at all. Like a new car. I will scan and attach the service order later but it is called a header kit.
  • magnetguymagnetguy Member Posts: 4
    I have been dealing with the noise issue for the past few months, had the car at the dealer 4 times with no success and was told on my last visit that they could not replicate the issue. I believe the tech must have driven around the parking lot and decided he did not hear anything, which at that speed he would not have. I sent my Motor Vehicle Defect Notification to Chrysler and they directed me to bring the car back to the dealer and they will attempt to fix it AGAIN. The car is in the shop as we speak, and according to the Florida Lemon Law, if they don't get it right they are required to give me a replacement vehicle or refund my money, my choice. I will keep this forum posted.
    Did they replace the header kit?
    To the best of my knowledge they only did what was required in the TSB, which was NOT replacing the header kit. The Chrysler rep apparently took the car for a test drive and decided that the roof is functioning as the manufacturer intended. I am not happy with that response, nor the fact that they had me drop off my car for 3 days and they seemingly had no intention of attempting another repair. I am in the process of filing a request for arbitration with the Florida Office of the Attorney General. IF they accept my request then I figure I have a 50/50 chance of getting a ruling in my favor. I have nothing to lose but some postage and a little more time but I feel it is worth the possible outcome, which for me would be a refund.
    That is crazy. The header kit was only like 150 dollars and they had it done in 1 day and it comletely took car of the wind noise. Good luck and let me know your outcome in case I have to deal with this in the future.
    Is the header kit a Chrysler part? If so what is the part number? I would assume that Chrysler would try everything at its disposal, but then again they are not in a good place financially.
    What is your email address? i will scan the service copy with everything you will need and email it to you. ">
    scanconsultants@gmail.com

Thanks for your help. I placed a call to the Chrysler rep in South Florida and told him I was not happy with the "resolution" and he has not returned my call yet. That was 2 days ago.
    I may have to go to arbitration if they choose not to cooperate.