Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Top Ten Resale Values -- What's Their Secret?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lazzinarolazzinaro Member Posts: 5
    totally have to agree with you about about them making a ton of them every year,...how mush more then the 911 i don't know,...someone else on here was commenting on the perceived quality of aston-martin,...now rhere really is a good one,...untill very very recently those cars were total cverpriced poeces of [non-permissible content removed],...i never read a car review of that marque that didn't mention that,...thry are built better now,...but too late; as with jaguar,...the cars reputation precedes it into oblivion....those 2 maques i honestly don't see being around muth longer,...and as for porsche,...they seem to be having problems of their own,...not buld quality or anything[still perceived as vault like],..but rather bad timing to introduce yet another not wanted luxury car[the panamera],...good luck selling THAT in this economy,...but hey,...i was totally way off on the cayenne[thought it would be a disaster...turn out to make more money for them then anything they ever produced!,...so go figure?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think Porsche is a lot like Elvis was---basically "critic-proof". It didn't matter what he produced, how good, how bad, how indifferent, how brilliant---it just sold on past reputation and loyalty. Of course, I do hope Porsche has a happier ending. :D Ditto Ferrari.

Porsche REALLY had to go out of its way to annoy people (can you say 924?) as did Ferrari (400i).

Now it is true that if you keep doing bad stuff that *eventually*, despite the greatest reputation in the world, you can't rest on your laurels forever. Rolls Royce rested on them for at least 40 years and nobody seemed to mind as long as it said RR on the hood. So too Cadillac, which will never regain its former lustre.

I think Porsche USA sales of *all* models is about the same as Corvette. Something in the low to mid 30,000 range.

Much of this is the Boxster I'm sure, which is why the older ones are dirt cheap now, well under $10,000 and falling fast.

Porsche seems to be just getting better and so is Corvette---so I'm not worried about either--unless Big Daddy GM goes under for good (a distinct possibility).

Oh, no, a Chinese Corvette?!! The horror! :cry:
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    desirability and (perceived) reliability on scales of 1-10, very few volume automakers get much beyond 10. But those who get to 10 or so have the best resale. An extra point is scored for not having fleet sales of course.

Toyota - desirability - 2, reliability - 8. (for example)
    Porsche - desirability - 10, reliability - 5? (and no fleet sales :-P)

Probably explains why it is so expensive buying a 75,000-mile Boxster!! ($15-20K doesn't seem dirt cheap Shifty, for a 7-8 year old Boxster that will be pushing 100K in a couple of short years. Relatively inexpensive for a Porsche? Sure).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Here's a '2000 model for $9900 asking, with 93K miles on it. They are really dirt cheap these days. I'm sure you could get this car for $9K. maybe less. People are *dying* out there. Just look how this ad reads. Guy needs to sell.

I did a quick scan for "Boxster" on craigslist (just on craigslist), and only for the San FRancisco Bay Area, and I got 82 hits right off.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1545103850.html

Porsche reliability is actually *very good*, especially the newer ones. Better than the other Germans I'd say. At least an 8.5. Maybe BMW is an 8, Benz a 7.5, VW a 5?4? Right up there with Range Rover :P

Yeah, 97--'98 Boxster---not such a good idea to buy one of those.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    if you think you can just drop in the seat of a hipo car drive it anywhere near the limit, and feel as secure as a corolla on the interstate at the speed limit, you are bound to disappointed. the driver is the limitation, not the car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Well, if you believe in JD Power even a little bit, Land Rover is a 1, and VW maybe a 2 (and Kia, and Suzuki....). Does that still make Porsche an 8 on the reliability scale?

A 93,000-mile Porsche seems like a fairly scary prospect (from my wallet's POV) for a purchase. Even if I can get it for only $9K.

I realized after making my earlier remarks that what I said can't really be applied to niche automakers like Porsche anyway. Desirability is 10 if you are single and looking for a sports car. For a family of four, it pretty much has a desirability quotient of 0.0 (sure, Dad might dream from time to time, but unless he's rich enough for an automotive bauble in the garage, it will never happen).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Well you hit the nail on the head...desirability really outscores reliability when it comes to resale---especially when it comes to say JD Powers, an impressive organization---but not impressive to a car enthusiast, who knows that JD Power are basically statisticians, not car people. They don't even drive cars, far as I know.

Yes I think Porsche reliability is extremely good. But they are what we called "narrowly engineered" cars and they do not suffer foolish owners who drive them like Corollas or who decline all the required maintenance. So by 90,000 miles, if the car has not been impeccably maintained by qualified personnel, you are going to have "deferred issues". Is that the same as poor reliability? I don't think so.

Sure, a Ferrari is 'fussy' and a 30,000 mile maintenance is going to cost you as much as a '98 Boxster, but that's the nature of the beast. You want excitement? You want maximum performance? You want prestige? You want tradition & heritage and membership in an exclusive club?

Well then, pony up on the MSRP and on the maintenance, and depreciation be damned!!
This discussion has been closed.