Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Navigation System

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
Questions about your Sonata navigation system? Here's where you can ask!

Comments

• themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    Has anyone heard of a TSB or recall on the 2009 Sonata Nav System? I noticed what appeared to be a couple of bugs and called up my dealer to make sure I had the most recent software and map. I currently have a map from 11/2007 and my software version is A3.

The service person told me that they are issuing a TSB for the system due to some problems. He said some issues had to do with the display, the warning screen not appearing, and some other issues.

My issue is that the keyboard will not stay in QWERTY mode and keeps reverting to ABC mode even though Setup shows the QWERTY option selected. Also, whenever I use the track up/down button on the Nav or steering wheel control to change a song on my iPod, the Random selection turns off.

- Merg
    Confirmed through Hyundai Customer Service that there is a TSB on the Nav System for a reprogramming. Hopefully, I can get in tomorrow to have this done and we'll see what happens...

- Merg
  • earbuckleearbuckle Member Posts: 16
    There is no TSB for the Nav shown on the hmaservice.com website yet. Not sure how often Hyundai updates it, but it is the place that service techs would presumably learn about such things. So it might be wise to wait a bit until they figure out what they are doing.
  • earbuckleearbuckle Member Posts: 16
    Unless the Nav unit were prone to bursting into flames, there would be no RECALL. A TSB would be the appropriate mechanism for notifying Hyundai dealers and customers.
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    My Hyundai dealer called me today and scheduled me for a navigation software update this weekend out of the blue. Currently I don't have any issues with the system, even have an 8gb thumb drive attached as a jukebox. When I asked what was the update about they weren't entirely sure. It ranged from update to new maps and POIs so I don't know. But obviously Hyundai came down on them to get this done....

Just chiming in... :)
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Nav's are on national backorder. It takes 4 to 9 weeks to get one. I guess this update fixes the problems. There were a bunch of problems on the Sonata nav system. Hopefully the new disc will fix those problems and then some.
    As I stated though, I confirmed through Hyundai Customer Service that there is a TSB on the Nav Unit.

- Merg
    Well, I took my Sonata in and they performed an upgrade on the software. I now have software v A3_3. I initially had v A_3. I was told that I need to contact Hyundai to find out who to order the map upgrades from.

As for the fixes, well they kinda worked. The Random function now stays on when selecting another song via the steering wheel control or the track up/down button on the Nav unit. It will not stay on if you switch to another mode (AM/FM/XM) except for the Map function. It also will not remember that you had Random selected when you turn off the car and then turn it back on. If you select Random, that option should never turn off unless you specifically turn it off or you disconnect the iPod.

Also, the QWERTY keyboard issue is still not resolved. If I set my keyboard to QWERTY as opposed to Alphabet, it works fine until I turn off the car. When I turn the car back on, the Main Settings screen shows that I have QWERTY selected, but if I go to a screen that requires text entry, the keyboard is displayed in Alphabet mode. I need to go back to Setup, click on QWERTY again and then select done for the QWERTY keyboard to work. Can someone else confirm this on their Nav Unit? If not, I guess there's something wrong with mine then.

I have also been having a problem with my iPod not shutting off when the car is turned off. It runs down the battery completely then and when I turn on the car it then always starts with the first song on my iPod. Has anyone else had this issue?

- Merg
    Here's some information I found out today...

The mapping software for the Sonata Navigation System is by M&SOFT (888-757-0010). There will not be an update till sometime in January and it will run around $200, but there should be a $100 rebate.

The software for the Navigation System is done by Hyundai Autonet America (877-648-7577). I spoke with Charles who stated that they are aware of the keyboard issue and that it should probably be in the next update, although it is present in releases for new models. He also stated that the Random functionality is working as designed in that whenever you pick a new function or turn on/off the car, the Random selection needs to be reselected.

He stated that he was going to look into the iPod shutdown issue to make sure they do not need to update something in their software.

On a side note, he did mention to me that future versions of the software will have traffic and bluetooth built-in. He stated that it will most likely be installed in new model releases, but could not rule out one way or the other if the update would be available to 2009 Sonata users.

- Merg
  • peridocperidoc Member Posts: 18
    Wouldn't it make sense to allow you to download a update to the system like this and perform it at home? I assume that it is just on a CD or DVD and you use the built in disc reader to perform the update.
    I'd think so. When I talked to the manufacturer of the software, he stated that if another update was released it would be via a TSB campaign like they currently have now for the current release. He stated that is just how it is done. One thing that irked me was that he stated that it would be up to Hyundai if they wanted to release an update, so even if one is available we might not get it. And since he also stated that one of the issues I still have has been corrected, I'm really hoping Hyundai steps up and releases this new update.

- Merg
  • grumpajgrumpaj Member Posts: 1
    There is a TSB # 08-01-013 for the Nav System. I took my ’09 Sonata in today for the software upgrade to SW Version V_A3_3. The initial “Caution” screen was blank. The side and bottom icons on the map were missing and menus were grayed out and unusable. The map, streets and current location were ok.

The upgrade fixed the Nav System. The keyboard will stay in QWERTY mode now even when the car is turned off.

The random in iPod and USB works better and stays on now when I go to the map function, but not if I switch to another mode or turn the car off.

The TSB Subject is “NAVIGATION REPROGRAMMING – CAMPAIGN T59” with this description: “Select 2009 Sonata Vehicles are equipped with in-car navigation as part of the audio system. Some navigation systems may experience lock up while in map display mode or the navigation icons may be incomplete/missing from the display screen. This bulletin describes the procedure to reprogram the navigation software to repair these conditions.” Vehicles affected: 2009 Sonata vehicles produced from start of production to August 11, 2008.

And yes, A DVD is used in the procedure.
    Right, that is the upgrade I got. Although I received the same update that you did, the QWERTY issue is still there for me. I never had the issue of the Caution screen being blank or the icons and menus being messed up.

The update also fixed the Random issue for me. According to the software developer, the Random function is not supposed to stay on when turning off the car or switching modes (except for the Map). He compared it to being similar to the Random function on a CD player. When turning a CD player off and on you need to turn the Random function back on.

- Merg
  • sallansallan Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just purchased 2 Limited models for my wife and myself. I don't remember seeing any DVD's in the owners kit, did anyone get any when you purchased the car?
    You won't get one. The map software is updated via a DVD that you need to purchase. The update is not out yet and will not be until January. As for the software updates, the dealer is the one who receives the update DVD whenver they put out a TSB campaign for the software update.

Check your software version (Setup --> Main). If you do not have v_A3_3, then go into your dealer and request the Navigation System Update.

- Merg
    Found another bug today. I had gone into my addressbook on a previous day and set one of my lists to display via Alphabet as opposed to via Date. When I went into the addressbook today, the list was in order by Alphabet, but the selector at the bottom indicated that the list was in order by Date. Clicking on Date reordered the list by Date. Obviously, when I went into the addressbook today, the indicator should have been on Alphabet. It appears this issue represents itself whenever the vehicle is turned off and back on.

- Merg
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    My navi has been messed up since I purchased the car this summer. My dealer still has no advice as to what to do other than it has to be replaced and there is probably a "national' backorder. Still no anwser as of yesterday. I'm happy to see there is a TSB, but wonder why my dealer's service folks haven't a clue about it...
    Check out your software version. If you have v_A3, then you need the TSB. You should have v_A3_3. That is the version the TSB updates you to. I believe it is TSB Campaign 59. Just go into your dealer and ask for it. Apparently that TSB fixed a lot of issues people were having.

- Merg
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    Thanks - the car is at the dealer right now getting the new software! I'm crossing my fingers... :)
  • hclghclg Member Posts: 5
    Hi, One of the reasons I got this car was the navigation system. Love the radio as well. However, I had intermeittent problems with the navigation system from the start. THey were able to order a new unit and that was installed after a week. The new unit had intermittent problem so they ordered theupdate disc. that took another week once that was in they had me bring it back in. However, when they tried to update the system the entire unit froze. Now I have not navigation or radio to listen to. IT has been out over two weeks already with not estimated date as to when they may get a new one in to replace it. I tried their customer service number and that was a joke as far as I was concerned. They never call me back to undate me on the status of their efforts. I placed a total of three calls to them and then best they can offer is I may get a call from the District parts manager however I should wait two weeks before calling the service center back. THis was a fairly expensive option on this car. I talked my company into giving Hyundai a try as we have always bought american cars. So far I am very disappointed in the fact that I have not had this option nor radio for a significant period of time and Hyundai has done nothing by way of contact or remedying the situation. I was going to look at the Genesis for my personal car but this has spoiled the experience for me. Will update if I hear from them.
    Just received a call this afternoon that they have located a new unit which will be installed tomorrow. I will keep my fingers crossed that this is the fix as the rest of the car I have enjoyed. Will keep you updated.
    Hmm... Found another couple bugs in the software.

1) When using the iPod and Random is turned on, if you use the Tune dial to find a new song and then push on the dial to select the song, the Random function turns off. It does not turn off if you use the Seek Up/Down buttons of the Up/Down steering wheel control buttons.

2) When a list in the Addressbook, if you have selected to sort via Alphabet instead of Date and you turn the car off and then back on, the highlight reverts to being on Date even though the list is sorted alphabetically. Also, I have had it where it is sorted alphabetically and I've added a new item to the list. The new item is then added to the bottom of the list. I needed to reselect Alphabet to have the new item sorted correctly.

- Merg
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    While item 2 does sound like a bug, item 1 does not. When seeking a next/previous song in random mode, it can perform random seeks. But by definition when you explicitly select a song you are no longer playing random selections.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Yes and no. When using the Tune dial, it does randomly go through songs. When selecting a song, it will then revert to only playing in order from that point on. I would agree with you if, when using the Tune dial, it went through the songs in order.

- Merg
  • nysniper28nysniper28 Member Posts: 18
    I am very very close to getting a limited with the NAV and just wondering what you guys think so far of it? I have read of the few problems here and I guess I will let my dealer know about them and make sure mine is updated. But just wondering overall how you like it?
    I thought you already bought yours... :)

I like it a lot. I probably would have found something wrong with any Nav system installed in any car purchased, so don't take my complaints as gospel. Overall, the system works and is easy to use.

- Merg
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    For normal use, its a fine system. I don't have any issues with mine like the others here. I don't own an iPod and use a 8gb thumb drive for my music without problems. I would recommend it..... I'm just waiting for a map update.
  • nysniper28nysniper28 Member Posts: 18
    thanks for the answer......looking forward to the NAV if i can EVER close on a deal....but I'm stubborn to get the best price i can, I'm close to getting my limited from local area dealers that I have been talking with but still looking for them to go lower, don't wanta travel to NJ but if i have to I may. Looking to get a good deal like you merg but it would be nice to have 3% tax instead of my 8.75% here, right now with tax and everything the lowest I got is $23,800 but I'm looking to be at least under $23. When I get it I'll post the results, and hopefully I won't be posting any probs with my NAV here when I do!
  • starchief5starchief5 Member Posts: 8
    How do I find out the version of software I have?
    Go under Setup and then select Main (the top left icon). You should have a line on there that says Software Version. It will be listed as v_A3 or v_A3_3. You want the latter.

- Merg
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    I like the nav. It works well for someone directionally challenged like myself. The only thing I've noticed is occasionally it will after getting me to my destination, tell me the house/apartment/restaurant/store etc. is on the wrong side of the street. Example, it will say "your destination is ahead on the right" when really the destination is on the left. Like I said this is an intermittent problem and so far hasn't caused me to get lost "yet." Besides that, no other problems.

The nav screen can be impossible to read when the sun hits the screen which is also highly annoying, but that's not a problem with the nav, more the positioning of the nav. Also keep in mind this system doesn't have an internal hard drive for storing music or anything like that which is probably why the system is so cheap compared to other units.

One thing I LOVE about the system is you can use it with the car in motion, which is great if you have a passenger with you who can program in an address without having to pull over and stop. Or you can just use the voice operation to speak an address, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The NAV in the sonata uses a flash chip to store the map database though updates are on DVD's.
  • bs205bs205 Member Posts: 7
    On my '09 Sonata I found that the nav's GPS system shows me in Michigan all of the time. I'm actually in Central California. I tried re-setting it, the dealer's 'tech' tried re-setting it, unplugging it, etc, and even called some tech support #. No joy. I'm still stuck in MI. Anyway the dealer ordered a new 'unit' they said.

When they called to say it was in they said your XM radio is in. I reminded them the problem was the nav/GPS; so I asked it if was all one unit. I was told "the tech knows what he needs to replace" I asked if this is one unit will it screw up my XM radio account? "Shouldn't" I was told.

My question is for anyone who is familiar with the nav systems on these cars, is the nav /GPS and radio all in one unit? Or is the GPS a separate module, or what? Based upon the lack of real answers I'm getting from the dealer, I'm tempted to take the car to one of the shops around town that install the after market radios, GPS systems, etc, for a look-see but would rather fore-go the expense of that if possible.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. I'm scheduled to take the car in next Monday to to the dealer. But do I really want them tearing into the dash to do what they may not have to? I suspect that this dealer's 'tech' may not be real knowledgeable about this issue. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't believe (although not impossible) that the GPS is defective on a brand new unit.

The dealer also said they had doen the recent firmware/software? upgrade as well. It had no affect on the GPS however.
    From what I understand the Nav Unit and Radio are all one unit. At least the software used for the Radio/XM/Nav Unit/iPod is all in one system so it would appear that they are all integrated.

I am a little curious though because XM just called me to try to sign me up for their service. Part of the pitch was how they just merged with Sirius. From what I've read, in order for subscribers to receive stations from both XM and Sirius satellites they will need a new tuner. So, since the Sonata has an XM specific tuner in it, how would I be able to get Sirius stations?

- Merg
    Regarding the Sirius-XM thing, both XM and Sirius have taken some of the stations from each other (mainly for their premier shows and sports programming) and placed them on their own satellites. So for a few more bucks you can now get the NFL, etc. on your XM radio or the NHL, etc. on your Sirius radio. You can't get the full lineup though. They have the crossover stations listed on their respective websites. If you buy the new receivers that you referenced you will be able to get much more of the other provider's programming than the legacy receivers.
    That too is my understanding after speaking to XM recently when I hooked up to their service. They have some sort of 1 year price special, however like you say it's not entirely all of their stations. I declined.
    IT is all one unit. My navigavtion system was replaced twice. It appears that finally the new unit is working correctly. I noticed that the voice recogniation is much more accurate with the new unit. Regarding the XM, I think the account simply switchs over if your unit has to be replaced as I did not have to do anything new to transfer the account. It is possible the dealer did this but I would be surprised if they did.. IF it is an authorized dealer, I would let them work on it and deal with the issue rather than get a 3rd party involved.
    So you actually went through 3 of them. What is it with these units? I'm glad yours is finally working.
    Yes the third has been the charm. The dealer has been very good the only aggrevation was waiting for the units to come in.
    I take it they get the dash all back together nice and neat and proper?
    Yes, once they got the part in I dropped it off before work and picked it up after work. Looked as good as new, you could never tell they did any work on it.
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    I have had my limited for a week now. I find the nav to be decent. As good or better than one in my honda... and better than the one in my infiniti (but that was 5 years ago)

I will also say its by far the fastest one i have ever used.

My only complaint is the voice command. Best I can tell the microphone is not working. It does not respond to at all. It just keeps telling me that I can say help at any time.

I am trying to avoid a trip to the dealer. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    anyone figured out how the play a dvd in the unit while the car is in motion. would like to entertain my child in the back/middle
  • wgr3wgr3 Member Posts: 11
    In most states it is illegal to have anything in the driver's line of vision that might distract him or her. This obviously includes a DVD, so all new cars preclude the use of the DVD while in motion.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    There have been post explaining what wire to remove
  • dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    were are the posts and have they been confirmed to work without causing problems elsewhere?
    I've been meaning to post with an update. The new unit went in on 10/20. Far as I can tell it's working fine now.

Thanks!
    >>The Random function now stays on when selecting another song via the steering wheel control or the track up/down button on the Nav unit.

I have had the update done on my 2009 Sonata and my system reports version A3_3. In reference to the fix in the software for the random function...I have a USB thumb drive that I play MP3s from and when I have random on and use the steering wheel to try to go to the next random song, random still goes off and it goes to the next song in the current folder. Is this how it is working for others here? It appears that the random function still is not working on my unit...at least not in USB mode. Can anyone else test to see if this is true? Thanks!
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Look around post 5490 on Buying experience and price Paid. I thought I read white green somwhere. There is a Video showing it can be done.
    It has been confirmed to work, but don't forget that viewing a DVD while the vehicle is in motion is illegal. There is a reason why the DVD player is configured to not work when the vehicle is not in park.

- Merg
This discussion has been closed.