Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• crananoncrananon Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice!
    Ok.. I am persistant.. but do I really tell the salesmanger I want to pay 15,800 for a car that has a 18K+ sticker?
    Man.. I hate buying a new car....
    Thanks!
  • suiosuio Member Posts: 42
    I got a price quote for a 2009 Corolla LE with cruise, keyless and extra mile package A for $15,800 +TTL from a Toyota dealer near Houston, Texas yesterday. They have 25 in stock and another 410 they can get for me within 1-2 days. Is this a good deal?

I have been checking these dealers websites. The Corolla inventory has been climbing up quickly. Toyota must be making loads of them in recent weeks and I hear commercials on radios all the time. 2009 Corolla is not even on the consumerreports.org's recommended list.
    The selling of Corolla isn't as good as many salespersons claim to be. This is evidenced by more and more Corollas in the dealers parking lot every day. I pass by a couple of Toyota dealers when I go to work every day. I just don't see the inventory is moving. There is a massive advertising campaign by Toyota right now. On the other hand, the Honda salespeople appear to be able to inflate Civic's selling price at MSRP.

It is interesting to note ConsumerReports.org rating on the two cars:

Civic 82 Recommended
    Corolla 71 Not Recommended

I have test drove both and I don't think the difference is that huge (11%).
  • ford_suv_rookiford_suv_rooki Member Posts: 4
    Which dealership were you talking about. I just got a quote from the dealership at 610 loop for 17200 for the same car you mentioned.
    17,200 OTD?

I am no longer interested in Corolla any more. I am disappointed with the Toyota dealers in my region. Civic is a much better choice.
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Member Posts: 15
    that is exactly what you tell him, he will come back with a counteroffer that is higher, you tell him thank you give him a number to call back if he can met your price and walk out the door. If he can sell it for that price he will give you a call back. especially you u see a lot more corrollas sitting on the lot, he needs to sell cars!!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Yes that is true but you failed to mention the reason was that Corolla was a NEW model and they wont (ConsumerReports) recommend until there is history. They have been burned in the past on doing so. IT wont not matter if its a Toyota or Honda on first year no more free pass on new models. I test drove both and you cant go wrong on either its about what you are looking for.

MNF
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I see the opposite - my dealer currently has one Corolla on the lot (stripper). The most I have seen since the new '09 came out is 3. Honda dealer, on the other hand, always has lots of Civics (5-10). But does my observations of these two dealers mean much? Nope.

Also, check the real sales numbers - you'll see the Corolla in the top 3. Someone can post a link.

The real reason the '09 is not recommended is because it is an all-new model.
  • meotranmeotran Member Posts: 1
    which exactly dealer in Houston is that? I am in Houston too. Thanks.
  • psciortinopsciortino Member Posts: 22
    We bought a 09 LE Corolla 6-23-08 from the Winter Park, FL Toyota dealer
    Internet Sales team. They were quick on the floor but a bit slow on the internet. We were treated very respectfully. The numbers are as below:
    Out the Door: $17050 for a LE with carpets and cruise control. No other options.
    Price Quoted: $17,624--with a full tank of gas--got to be worth at least $50.
    Dealer Documentation fee: $599.95
    Discount: $1607.24
    Rebate: $750.00
    Net Cost: $15866.71 with a lifetime warranty of the powertrain (comes with all Courtesy Toyotas) Based on my repair experiences this is worth about $3-500)

Tire disposal and other misc. fees: $48.50
    License Tag fees $110.00. May get some of this back.
    Sales tax: $1024.79
    Out the Door: $17050. with carpets, cruise control and NO TOYOGUARD, NO OTHER OPTIONS WHICH RAISE THE PRICE AND GIVE LITTLE VALUE SUCH AS RADIO UPGRADE, KEYLESS ETC. I WANTED VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL BUT COULDN'T FIND A LE IN THE SOUTHEAST WITH VSC. THEY WERE UNWILLING TO TAKE BACK THE $245 CARPETS.
  • atortoroatortoro Member Posts: 13
    Hi, i am looking at my owner warranty info booklet, and it says the powertrain is only 60 months, or 60,000 miles.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    This 6/60 is the Toyota normal powertrain warranty - lifetimes are purchased separate.
  • psciortinopsciortino Member Posts: 22
    Hi:
    Toyota Co. offers a "60,000 miles/60 months" power train warranty. Courtesy Toyota extends that warranty to "lifetime" for the original owner. If we keep the car beyond 60,000/60 months the warranty has value (for me). It does have a $100 deductable per event.
  • mizzriveramizzrivera Member Posts: 5
    Corolla LE with cruise, keyless entry, mats, free tires as long as you own the car and get scheduled maintenance done there and free manicures on Mondays! MSRP $17868 Price: $16300 -$750 rebate= $15550

Serra Toyota in Birmingham
  • jharris981jharris981 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Mizzrivera,

I live in Birmingham, too. Did you get the Toyota LE for $15,550 out the door? Are all taxes and fees included in the amount you quoted? If so, I'll head on over to Serra Toyota! :)
    Hi JWeaver39,

What sort of accessories came with your 2009 LE? I'm in Birmingham, so Clanton isn't very far for me to drive and if I can get it for $15,800 OTD then I'll make the drive. You mentioned Cruise Control, but did the accessory package include anything else?
  • grabsjokergrabsjoker Member Posts: 7
    What do you guys think of this deal from Ron Carter, near Houston? Corolla LE with VSC, Cruise Control, and Remote Keyless Entry for 18413, OTD. Its the best deal I have found so far, as compared to Mike Calvert (17724+TTL, without VSC), Sterline McCall and Champion (18700 OTD), or Joe Myers (19204 OTD). I don't know about Don McGill though. Also, does anyone know a good bank, credit card, or other such thing to get a good auto loan, as Toyota isn't running any specials right now on financing. With my credit score of 785, I got a rate of 5.39% from Capitol One. Thanks!!!
  • jaanbazjaanbaz Member Posts: 5
    Guys,

I got an awsome deal on the last date of June.

I just bought Corolla LE - Metallic Gray with Bisque interiors with Cruise, Keyless, Mats and ToyoGuard Package with 16.3 Drive out (including rebates) in Atlanta, GA.

what do you guys think?

Sammy
    That does sound like a good deal. What dealership is that? What does the ToyoGuard Package include? What is Atlanta's sales tax rate for cars?

By the way, I was wondering - if you buy a car out of state do you have to pay that state's sales tax and then pay your own home state's sales tax, too?
  • elena250elena250 Member Posts: 28
    That does sound like a real good deal. I was wondering whether you thought there might be more like that at that price. Did that include a rebate? If so, when was the rebate over? I'm wondering whether it would make sense to fly into Atlanta just to buy the car. Can't seem to find a deal anywhere near in TX.
  • rospotterospotte Member Posts: 11
    I live in the Dallas area and can not find a deal like the one from Atlanta.I googled toyota Atlanta and sure enough their asking prices are alot lower than the dealers in Dallas.I wonder why?

The fitz mall prices are the best I've seen.Do you think a dealer in Dallas would try and get close to their price?

I'am looking for 2009 LE auto. trans. no options.
  • jaanbazjaanbaz Member Posts: 5
    Yes, Price includes Rebates, TTL for Atlanta. The county i stay in is 7% sales tax

I would suggest 2 things to keep in mind.

1. Buy only at the end of month. Becuase the dealers were desperate to make a sale they came down on the price

2. Because you stay in TX , try visiting Lousiana / Missisipi, where i am sure you can get a better pricing.

If i had gone to AL, I am sure to have save another $300 easy but the OTD price i got in Atlanta is still not as bad.

As far as I know , you pay sales tax for the county/city/state you currently reside in. You don't pay taxes 2 times.

Buying any trim is a matter of individual choice. If budget is a concern, try to keep the options to bare necessity. Also, the options installed by dealer are little expensive and you can get those options installed by a 3rd party contractors at half the cost.

Most Important: I found out the following website when researching for the car cost. Very helpful website. I would highly recommend to read it first before a purchase. Also, please use the calculation sheet provided on the website to calculate the cost of car that you may be looking for.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

Happy Buying!! :D
  • linyerlinyer Member Posts: 4
    I just came from Don McGill and they had nothing as far as Corolla's. Was expecting one in today but I did not care for the color.
    By the way I use Smart Financial Credit Union anytime I take a loan. Never had one problem with them over so many years.
  • ganegane Member Posts: 2
    I am a new customer buying a new 09 Corolla LE with cruise, keyless and preferred accessory package (floor mats, trunk mat etc). My dealer is offering me 17750 out the door including all taxes/fees etc (16200 before taxes). Do you think this is a good deal for the San Jose area ?

Anybody with previous experiences with Toyota dealers in SJ - please respond.
    Gane, I think you have a good deal, with gas prices at their current rate.

The price is better than what I can find in the Dallas area.

Shopping for these gas sippers as become a good example of supply and demand economics.
  • ganegane Member Posts: 2
    @rospotte

Thanks for your response. I got concerned when jaanbaz posted that he got a Corolla LE for an out the door price of 16.3K. That is more than $1400 less than the deal I am getting.

I do understand that people are talking more about gas saving cars. On the other hand, the dealers are overplaying it too much - no matter how you try to bargain, their response is always about gas saving !!

I am trying to get a feeling of what offers others are getting in california, specifically the bay area. Any help there is greatly appreciated.
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Member Posts: 15
    it came with cruise control,power windows,power door locks,good basic car
    Well after 2 weeks of emails and phone calls, I bit the bullet and purshed a 2009 corolla LE, classic silver metallic with cruise,keyless entry,window tint,floormats and vehicle shield protection.The window tint is a 279.00 option.Was told it was done in Houston right off the ship from Japan.

I paid 19,000.00 OTD.Tax title and all other fees was around 1340.00.It was the best I could do in the Dallas area.I bought from Toyota of Plano salesman name Faz.I have a feeling that good deals are a thing of the past.If you can get one your very lucky.

After getting the price quote via the phone I drove down to purchase the gas sipper.The made in Japan Corolla arrived at the dealership on an 18 wheeler the same time I did.The salesman and myself got in right after the truck driver unloaded it,drove to his office and completed the deal in 45 min.

The next day I traded the 15" firestone tires for 16" Kumo Soulus HP4 716 P/205/60r tires and had them mounted on a set of Voxx monza 670-5001-38-bmp aluminium alloy wheels black.The tradeing of tires and purshase on the wheels was at Discount Tire not far from where I live.OTD wheels and tires 600.00

Very pleased with the ride very smooth and quite. Have a look here...

http://www.pbase.com/rospotte/2009corolla_lx
    Nice pics on your new LE I purchased those same rims for my daughters Mazda they are nice. I have a similar set (Black) on my new 09 gold Le and it does make the car look nice more so with the tinted windows.

Good luck and enjoy

MNF
  • mcqdeltatmcqdeltat Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys,
    We just bought an '09 Toyota Corolla LE with cruise control, 6 disc cd, keyless entry, floor mats and all weather guard package for $18,500 OTD. We also got the Toyota care premium plan for 1050. Therefore, our total was $18,500 + $1050. Was this a good deal or did we get ripped off? Also the deal was going on a demo with alloy wheels but we didn't want them while the deal was charging almost 19k with the alloy, as we're about to walk out he gives us a new offer for the 18,500 we got the one we have without alloy wheels. Reading some posts makes me hurt cause I feel I could have gotten a lower price even though we must have negotiated over 12 hours in a weeks time. So, was it a fair price or is the dealer laughing in the back?
    did you also get the 6 cd and all weather thingy?
    What was the MSRP on before all the taxes lic ect

MNF
    $ 16, 927 :( what do you think?
  • dnc441dnc441 Member Posts: 3
    which dealership is this? i'm also trying to get the same car with just the very basic optional features. I'm aiming for 17.5k
  • mrcoolguy209mrcoolguy209 Member Posts: 29
    Just negotiated a deal for an '09 Corolla LE for my cousin. He paid $15,999. The sticker on the car was $18,070.

The $15,999 includes destination. His tax rate is 7.75% and his out the door cost was ~$17,500.

He bought a red color @ Roseville Toyota (NorCal).
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    That's a pretty cheap price. Must not have had much on it.I bought mine down the road in Auburn from Magnussens. I went tor the XLE and my extras were alloy wheels, cruise, vsc, jbl stereo system, xm radio. I bought a spoiler from Spoiler Source and the rear bumper guard, dash cover, and mudflaps cheap on ebay. Went to a body shop and had the stuff installed. Also got some really cool sheepskin seat covers. Still need to get body side molding. I don't buy accessories from dealers, way to expensive. Before accessories I purchased the price OTD was 20,300. I can hardly wait to get new tires. I just took it on a vacation to Yellowstone NP. I drove practically the whole way doing 65mph and according to my Garmin Nuvi 360 I got 46.6 mpg. :)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    You bought a Corolla for that much? Probably better off getting a Camry for that price...better car with great mileage for it's size. Corolla prices have gone crazy with the outrageous petrol prices. Now I know why hyundai's are selling as well as they are.

The Sandman :)
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    I didn't think that was expensive at all. I didn't want the lower mileage of the Camry. And by the time I outfitted the Camry, I would have paid lots more. I bought it at invoice and the rest was tax/lic. I'm very happy with it. I don't haul around a bunch of people, it fits me just right. I made lots of calls, all the way across the bay area and never found a better deal for a fully loaded XLE. I could have gotten an LE a lot cheaper but it wasn't what I wanted. The last car I would want would be a Hyundai. YUK. BTW, I did buy a 100,000k/7yr extended for $900 and that was part of the OTD price. Those computers cost at least $1000 each and I feel much better knowing I wouldn't have to pay for it. Plus if I'm away from home and something happens I get food and lodging and another car to use. I know that people scoff at extended warranties and this is the second time I purchased one. I purchased one for my Outback and had to use it a couple of times, and it paid for itself and more..
  • carbala2008carbala2008 Member Posts: 1
    @gane

Which dealership is this in San Jose area (and salesperson initials would be great) ? Am looking for similar deal. The quotes I am getting over the phone are much higher, like 18.3+TTL.
    Thank you,
  • linyerlinyer Member Posts: 4
    If this poster is still around the forum, what dealership offered you this deal?
  • goodbyebobgoodbyebob Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    I am purchasing a Corolla for $20,459. The MSRP is $21,971. The car includes the following options:

Cruise Control
    Power Package
    Rear Deck Spoiler
    Power tilt and slide moonroof
    vehicle stability control
    window tint
    carpet mat set
    aluminum wheel upgrade
    permavin/glass etch
    Vehicle shield package (lusterizing sealant, sound shield, & sealant cleaner)

TTL is not included. Can I negotiate for a lower price than this? Thanks!
    That sounds like a good deal to me.Trying to get the dealers to drop that much off of msrp in the Dallas area would be a chore.

You could probably could get lower if you dont need all the options.

Finding the car with the options you want would be easy in a large metro. area.Finding the price you think is fair is another matter.
  • eiaveiav Member Posts: 3
    how you make the online offer?
  • crystalblue1crystalblue1 Member Posts: 3
    I am offered a 2009 Toyota Corolla LE for $16,937 (it's the FINAL price out of the door, including 3% va sale tax, title, tag..etc). Keyless entry and car mat are the only extra options that dealer put on this car besides standard LE options

Is it a good deal to keep?
  • knight346knight346 Member Posts: 10
    looks like a good deal to me. was the price so low, or you got that because you qualified for certain rebates? military/college grad?
  • elena250elena250 Member Posts: 28
    Yes, that sounds like a great deal - did you do the dealing over the internet. How did you get that price?? I'm in Texas and haven't heard of anything even close.
    The gas is expensive nowadays so we just stopped by the closest toyota dealer. We later sent out qoute via email but none of them actually could beat the price.

The deal was even sweeter last month. They offered me 16,500 OTD with 36 mos 0% APR. ("sigh"....We should just take it but we didn't..) We came back this month but they raised the price to 16,600 and charged another $330 for floor mat and keyless entry installation (the mat is toyota name brand but the entry isn't. The sales had it done outstide.) It brought up the total to 16,900. I would save the $300 if I knew the keyless entry won't be toyota..

btw. I am in VA (3% sale tax on car) so our final price should be $300 ~ $400 less than yours
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    What kind of prices are you seeing in the Austin area?
  • knight346knight346 Member Posts: 10
    Is that Corolla LE with the following options?

All-Weather Guard Package-includes heavy-duty heater with rear heater duct, anti-chipping tape and heated power remote-controlled outside mirrors (CK)
    50 state emissions (FE)
    Cruise control (CL)
    Remote keyless entry system with in-key transmitter (KE)

Then its an amazing deal!
    No curise control and VSC. Dealer asked $300 to have after-market keyless is installed outsource... not factory.