Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Separated At Birth?

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
Ever look at a new car and have it remind you of something else---another car of the same era, or a car from the past, or even an object that's not a real car?

This happens to me all the time. I see some detail of styling on a popular new car and I think "Now WHERE have I seen that before?"

Anyway, read on. Maybe something will jar your memory as well.

The next post is my first example:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's hilarious, and you even found the same kid all grown up and driving the smart car. :D
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That is great, keep em coming....
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    1957 Nash Rambler Cross County:

Nissan Armada:
    Brilliant lemko!

• joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    That is the funniest comparison I have ever seen. I think the plastic car looks like it has a bit more room than the Smart. That finally shows were they got the styling for the Smart.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah. The plastic car gets better mileage, too.

Love the spaceship and the Plymouth. Is that a 58? if it were from the back I could identify it right off. We had a 57 wagon.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Yep, that's a '58. Actually in all black the car doesn't look too bad, but it's a bit too Wurlitzer for me in the red white and chrome color scheme.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    It's probably not the loudest resemblance, but I remember Andre comparing the 78-80 6-window Malibu sedan to the previous generation Avalon...there is some similarity.
    After I posted that I realized that the 57 didn't have dual headlights and by the time they got to 59 they did some odd angle thing with the front fenders over the headlights so it had to be a 58.

Funny thing - at the time we bought our 57 wagon I thought that red and white combo was really sharp. Of course I was six years old at the time. Our wagon was an aqua of some sort. Push button transmission which I'm sure is a shared feature with the space ship.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I'm sure to a 6 year old the car was the most wonderful automobile in the world!
    Absolutely! I was also trying to upgrade him to a DeSoto at the time. Little did I know that the Plymouth was a stretch at that point.

This was the first time i recall dad trying to impress mom by surprising her with a new car. It happened sevrak times after that and never to a good end as mom and dad has different ideas as to what a good car is. Dad liked them with loads of options and such - a Deville was probably the ultimate dad car. Mom didn't even want to touch an automatic transmission.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200

Bully Buick!

btw, let's not head down the Dagmar Bumpers road. Just saying... :shades:
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Isn't that a Christine clone? I think CQB-241 was even Christine's license plate number! Good looking car, but I think it would've looked better if the spear was color-coordinated with the roof, rather than being chromed. Or anodized, or whatever they called that stuff.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167

or Honda just behind ?

The 2008 Accord actually reminds me of several different cars. The roofline makes me think of a BMW 5-series. Front end looks kinda Altima-esque. And from the rear, I always thought it seemed similar to an L-series.

I'll at least give them credit for blending the three styles together fairly decently. The car doesn't inspire any sort of lust in me, but it's not hard on the eyes, either.

I actually preferred the older style L-series, the one with the narrower headlights and more subtle grille that had some body color in it. When that newer style came out (2003?) it looked a bit Subaru-ish to me.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Andre, that picture looks exactly like my L. Same color and everything.

Yes, '03 was when the redesign happened ... it was one of the reasons I bought it (well, that and the 0% financing GMAC was offering). I thought it looked much more upscale than the '02 and earlier models. There was an interior redesign as well.

My step-son has an '01 L200 (4-cylinder stick) with over 150K on the clock. Still running reasonably well. In fact, he and his wife are driving out from Utah to Colorado on Friday in it.

My Aunt has a 2003 L300 and it looks exactly like the one in the picture. Her car is kinda like a army green (I don't know how else to describe it) she has the black leather package, onstar, the car is loaded and she still loves that car. She has a about 90k miles and the only thing that has gone wrong with the car was the a/c condenser, which was covered under warrantee. But people still say that GM can't build a descent car, and we see that Honda is taking styling cues from a Saturn. Who would of thought it?

• gussguss Member Posts: 1,167

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

1979 Chrysler Newport

2008 Chrysler 300

I see a closer resemblance here.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Joshua, your aunt has been lucky, then.

My L300 is also loaded (save OnStar) and has only 76K on the clock, but I've had small, niggling (but expensive) issues with it the past couple of years.

2 body control modules
    Front transaxle seal
    4 front brake rotors
    2 front brake calipers
    Horn assembly
    Power steering line

(or any Citroën).
    I have to admit, most of the miles on it are highway, so she probably has been able to avoid a lot of the problems that you have had. But, you should wait to trade it in until the 2010 Saturn Aura comes out. Have you seen that car?
    the 79 Newport morphs especially well into a Chrysler 300 if you can imagine the Newport with a Schrader valve on it, pump up to about 500 psi.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    One brother went to law school:

The other brother lives on welfare in a trailer park:

(sorry about the width, I don't know how to edit it down and it was too good to pass up)
    There was something about the 1951-era Nash that always bothered me, but I couldn't quite place it...

Then it bit me...er, hit me!
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Thin Elvis

Fat Elvis

These are excellent!
    andre, leave it to you to spot the Desoto precursor to the ugliest Honda product of all time. Who authorized such an abortion? How could this possibly be a good idea?

Speaking of ugly, bad ideas:

(Actually, on the Saab, I find it kinda charming.) :)

I glad someone spotted the real Saabaru. I've always thought those two were related.

I can never get that Lark/300 out of my head but I don't think anyone elseggets that.

Time for andre to buy a CRV.
    I knew I should have just kept my trap shut. :blush:

lokki, you are definitely on a roll!

• rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    Chrysler way of thinking outside the box.

Fez, my man!
    That was a good one. Not only the look, but the name is perfect! :shades:

This discussion has been closed.